Type keyword(s) to search

The Masked Singer

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

There are some YouTube videos of Rumer singing. She's very good. 

I thought Nick Lachey might be Rabbit but now I am convinced it's Neil Patrick Harris.You have the desert backdrop in his videos, the Brooklyn pizza sign (he's on Brooklyn 99), and he does magic tricks. 

The Rabbit was part of a singing group. 

1 minute ago, strippedhalo said:

And the vocals this week really sounded like Joey.

I agree. There are also videos of Joey on YouTube performing magic tricks. 

Geeze guys, okay! I get it. It's probably Joey. I didn't think 4 people were going to pounce on me. I was just throwing it out there as an idea. I'm certainly not the only one out there who has tossed his name in as an idea. I thought part of the fun was trying to guess...

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

Geeze guys, okay! I get it. It's probably Joey. I didn't think 4 people were going to pounce on me. I was just throwing it out there as an idea. I'm certainly not the only one out there who has tossed his name in as an idea. I thought part of the fun was trying to guess...

I agree everything points to NPH, except that pesky voice part. Maybe it's his never heard of magician partner twin I just made up, Patrick Neil Harris.  I want it to be NPH. I don't know boy bands well enough to know voices, but it is probably Joey Fatone because he's on everything!!! 

ETA: I forgot I wanted to mention this. How cool would it be if one of the contestants, who is a real singer, sang one of their own songs? Like if Donny Osmond the Peacock sang ":Soldier of Love."

Edited by justjen
  • Love 2

Watching last night, all I could think was you guys here guessed Tori Spelling while none of the judges did. But maybe judges aren't suppose to guess correctly, there's that to consider. If they did guess, the reveals wouldn't be so ... AH-MAZE-ING and surprising, like: "Who knew? We sure didn't!"

Or, maybe you guys are just smarter than the judges. Yeah, I'd vote for that, too. LOL!

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, justjen said:

ETA: I forgot I wanted to mention this. How cool would it be if one of the contestants, who is a real singer, sang one of their own songs? Like if Donny Osmond the Peacock sang ":Soldier of Love."

I would love this.  I particularly would love hearing Gladys Knight singing "Midnight Train to Georgia".  Or wouldn't it be a hoot if someone else sang it, like the Lion?  But for some reason I really want to hear Donny Osmond singing "All American Prophet" from "Book of Mormon".  Is that the song that starts with something about singing "a little Donny Osmond style"?  Would be hilarious.

13 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

What points to NPH ?

I agree, I'm missing the NPH pointing as well.  Is it that he's a magician?  And from the 80s?  I don't see any other NPH clues... there are way too many NSTINK clues, never being alone, used to synchronized dancing, "pop" music, "it's gonna be me".

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Sorry. You’re right, that’s the fun. I’m a pretty fair fan of NPH and really know his voice, so I’m just very strongly convinced it’s not him. 

55 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Watching last night, all I could think was you guys here guessed Tori Spelling while none of the judges did. But maybe judges aren't suppose to guess correctly, there's that to consider. If they did guess, the reveals wouldn't be so ... AH-MAZE-ING and surprising, like: "Who knew? We sure didn't!"

Or, maybe you guys are just smarter than the judges. Yeah, I'd vote for that, too. LOL!

Well, her name had been thrown out by the judges a couple times I think, but even if not Ken did guess her last night. 

On 1/27/2019 at 6:21 PM, howiveaddict said:

Bet Rabbit will give a Big Fat Greek Wedding reference this week.

Good call! Sure enough, there was Greek music playing in the background during the beginning of the video clip.

• Love 2
On 27/01/2019 at 9:21 PM, howiveaddict said:

Bet Rabbit will give a Big Fat Greek Wedding reference this week.

There needs to be a bottle of Windex; enough for some people to think "HUH?!"  But also enough for people to confirm it's him.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Marisagf said:

I was thinking the same thing.  I enjoyed the first few weeks.  And I guessed Raven and Bee after their first clue packages and songs. I still watch, but I'm a little disappointed that everyone has figured out the singers.   I wonder how they will keep the secrets in season 2.  How do they keep that live audience from spilling the beans?  Also the clues and voice masking have to make it more difficult to guess.

I think the big mistake was revealing a big clue in the first clue package. Next season I I’d like to see the clues start general and then get more specific as the show goes forward.  It just narrowed down the possibilities immediately. The Peacock started preforming at age 5, the Unicorn grew up in Beverly Hills, the Rabbit was in a boy band, the Poodle is a stand up from San Francisco, and so on. There have been good names thrown out that can be immediately rejected. 

Jezebel tracked down one of the audience members. She is an actress and said they were required to sign something. She didn’t read it but it probably a safe bet that it was a NDA. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/themuse.jezebel.com/the-masked-singers-woman-in-yellow-speaks-1831952122/amp

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I think the big mistake was revealing a big clue in the first clue package. Next season I liked to see the clues start general and then get more specific as the show goes forward.  It just narrowed down the possibilities immediately. The Peacock started preforming at age 5, the Unicorn grew up in Beverly Hills, the Rabbit was in a boy band, the Poodle is a stand up from San Francisco, and so on. There have been good names thrown out that can be immediately rejected. 

Jezebel tracked down one of the audience members. She is an actress and said they were required to sign something. She didn’t read it but it probably a safe bet that it was a NDA. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/themuse.jezebel.com/the-masked-singers-woman-in-yellow-speaks-1831952122/amp

Revealing their heights was a really bad idea as well.  People could easily be ruled out.  I noticed they didn't put the heights on the 2nd episode, but you could still find them all online.  My guess is they won't list exact heights next year.

• Love 2

Interesting that Joey--I mean Rabbit--chose to sing Poison. On Justin Timberlake's tour, 20/20 Experience, it was one of maybe 3 songs he covered in a medley. It just reinforces that Joey is the age group to appreciate Bel Biv Devoe. I am not suggesting it was a nod to Justin, but wouldn't shock me if they both enjoyed covering the same song since they are buds.

Someone online said Lion is DEFINITELY Carrie Underwood, and I reminded them she was 5 months pregnant when this was filmed, and also far too famous. Lion gave a clue that she is "fake news and gossip" which kicks out Scout and Tallulah. They aren't "rumors"

• Love 5
On 1/31/2019 at 7:47 AM, blackwing said:

She still has lots of money, a nice career (this is kind of the only job she's had for a while), multiple TV shows over the years, a nice life, a husband that loves her (debatable), four or five children... all things that most people would be very happy with. 

FTFY

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2

I think for season 2 they really should follow the original Korean version. Every show reveal all of the singers. If it is just an hour, that would be 4. Make it a 2 hour show and you could up that to 6 or so and have the top ones sing twice. How it is now is just too boring. I think pretty much all of them are nailed or down to 2 different people. Neither of which makes it that exciting to find out who. Being one show would also be a much smaller commitment so you might actually be able to get a C or B list celeb. 

Not sure if it has been mentioned but Joey Fatone sang the Star Spangled Banner at an Orland Magic game when he was younger. That could be the magic tie in. Pretty sure he is the Rabbit. 

Biggest laugh was when Ken said he was the only doctor there and the camera cut to Jenny. 

• Love 9

https://ew.com/tv/2019/01/31/the-masked-singer-unicorn-tori-spelling/

This part jumps out at me: "Here I am, the mother of five, two of them being female, trying to show them how you can be who you want to be."

I think it's great that she did this to show her kids that they can do anything they want to.  But I dunno... the fact that she singles out her two daughters and suggests that she especially did it for them rubs me the wrong way.  I have a daughter too.  It's 2019.  By suggesting that her daughters need special attention and validation perpetuates the stereotype that girls are always at an inherent starting disadvantage simply because they are female.

I suppose everyone raises their kids differently.  I wish her well.  She does seem like a nice person and it was nice to read about her take on the show.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Hey, Mamadrama, don't feel bad - this is all in good fun.  Anyway, until this show and this forum, I had never heard of Joey Fatone or Bel Biv Devoe (or whatever the hell they're called).  Back then I was too old for pop music and too young for Entertainment Tonight and Inside Edition and those other shows which at least now gives me a clue who some of these younger entertainers are.  

Oh, and upthread somebody mentioned that it would be cool if some of the singers did songs they are well know for like "Soldier of Love" (which I had never heard of before this show either).  One of the early clues for Peacock showed the 2 security dudes marching behind him, so probably referencing that song.  

• Love 2

I think the overall format of the show works reasonably well, but agree that they need to reconsider what types of clues they give. Including the height does make it too easy to rule out people. I'd rather see them do one single clue per performer for each episode, assuming they keep the concept of having group A perform one week, and group B perform the following week. For me the fun of the show is trying to link a voice to a performer that I'm familiar with; I personally could do without the clues at all but understand that some are attracted to trying to track down what the clues mean. I do like the fact that the singers represent different generations; they'd lose a lot of viewers if they had only older singers or younger singers. I guess they have to throw in some token sports stars. It's also entertaining to hear people who are not professional singers perform, some of whom sound great and some who sound like just an average untrained voice. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I think for season 2 they really should follow the original Korean version. Every show reveal all of the singers. If it is just an hour, that would be 4. Make it a 2 hour show and you could up that to 6 or so and have the top ones sing twice. How it is now is just too boring. I think pretty much all of them are nailed or down to 2 different people. Neither of which makes it that exciting to find out who. Being one show would also be a much smaller commitment so you might actually be able to get a C or B list celeb. 

I think that's a good idea. Instead of a whole series, it would be cool if it were a live special a few times a year maybe. Then the panel could give actual guesses and there could be a social media tie-in where people make their guesses via Twitter or something. And if they attract good enough talent, maybe it could be an actual competition. That's what intrigued me about the show initially - to see who would win just based on singing alone, and not looks or any other preconceived notions. 

• Love 1
On 1/31/2019 at 1:39 AM, GreyBunny said:

This. Jenny kept running her mouth, "Look at him go! Look at him dance!"  Well, gee, take the camera off blabbermouth Jenny and actually let us see the rabbit perform for ourselves.

That was driving me crazy, too. I think it's the camera, though, not her. I mean, they probably tell the judges to run their mouths. Whoever decided that it was more interesting to watch them do it instead of letting us see the dancing, though, is really nuts.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:13 AM, Dani said:

Forget the judges reactions I want to see the other celebrities reactions. Can you imagine Margaret Cho discovering she went head to head again Gladys Knight?

That would be fun.

I enjoyed Ken saying he found the Rabbit's acting twitches annoying.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3
On 1/31/2019 at 2:13 AM, Dani said:

Can you imagine Margaret Cho discovering she went head to head again Gladys Knight?

I want to see her reaction when Nicole said something along the lines of "hot body - Jane Fonda, maybe?" 50 year old compared to an 81 year old. 

Edited by DuckyinKy
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:59 PM, BoogieBurns said:

Someone online said Lion is DEFINITELY Carrie Underwood, and I reminded them she was 5 months pregnant when this was filmed, and also far too famous. 

Far too famous - Neil Patrick Harris would be in this category.  He wouldn't stoop to this level.

• Love 3

I'm enjoying everyone's comments as much as I enjoy the show.  I have no problem with online spoilers.  I found a site that has identified everyone and given reasons why, but I won't spill that.  There's just one thing that has been bugging me:  Margaret Cho did not play a judge on Drop Dead Diva.  She played the legal secretary of the title character. 

I just caught up on the last two episodes last night, and I noticed another maybe-clue for LaToya (I think we all agree that she's the Alien). The costume is all latex and plastic and smooth, but for her gloves, which are black and glittery. Perhaps a subtle homage to her brother?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

I just caught up on the last two episodes last night, and I noticed another maybe-clue for LaToya (I think we all agree that she's the Alien). The costume is all latex and plastic and smooth, but for her gloves, which are black and glittery. Perhaps a subtle homage to her brother?

One of my coworkers noticed that too. I think you're on to something dver devotee!

• Love 1
On 2/1/2019 at 9:22 PM, possibilities said:

That was driving me crazy, too. I think it's the camera, though, not her. I mean, they probably tell the judges to run their mouths. Whoever decided that it was more interesting to watch them do it instead of letting us see the dancing, though, is really nuts.

Even worse in one episode, Jenny was singing along. Unfortunately, this kind of thing has infected a lot of competitions. I don't watch AGT any more, but you'd see the judges and audience more than the acts, and they'd cut backstage so that Nick could tell us how amazing the act that we couldn't see was. The premier episode of World's Best  has a similar issue.

• Love 3
On 1/31/2019 at 3:06 PM, boyznkatz said:

The only thing that puzzles me about Fatone is that he's pretty hefty, and the rabbit doesn't look fat. Did he lose a lot of weight recently? 

That's the thing that gets me about Rabbit too. I thought for sure it was JC but I guess all clues point to Joey but when Nsync did their big reunion not too many years ago on one of the award shows - Joey could hardly keep up with the dance moves! But maybe he's been working on himself since then.... 

I knew for sure it was an N Sync-er during his very first clue package at the end when we said something like "it's gonna be me"

On 1/30/2019 at 9:08 PM, blackwing said:

Tori Spelling deserved to go home.  I was afraid the Alien would get the boot so was pleasantly surprised.  Tori can’t sing at all.  She didn’t have a solo during the group number.  And her song, she was drowned out by the backing track / backup singers to the point where I wasn’t even sure if she was actually singing.  Also, she looks way different than her Donna Martin days.  Did she have plastic surgery?  Her eyes look so pinched.

I think Tori has had too much filler which has squished up her face.  Combine that with weight gain after all of her kids.... 

On 1/31/2019 at 12:47 PM, helpmerhonda said:

When was NPH on Brooklyn 99?

He hasn't been...

Tagging off the idea of having all the singers do one show and then reveal - Maybe they do a 4 character show and instead of revealing one that was the "loser" -- have 3 revealed and 1 that moves on to a "finale" where they crown a winner and reveal all of the runners up.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, gunderda said:

That's the thing that gets me about Rabbit too. I thought for sure it was JC but I guess all clues point to Joey but when Nsync did their big reunion not too many years ago on one of the award shows - Joey could hardly keep up with the dance moves! But maybe he's been working on himself since then.... 

I knew for sure it was an N Sync-er during his very first clue package at the end when we said something like "it's gonna be me"

I think he has lost weight recently. Here he is while promoting his new game show. 

Edited by Guest

I like this show a lot more than I thought it would, but I can't take the judges' constant asinine comments (looking at you, Jenny and Nicole -- sorry to have to call out the women, as I'm one myself). And it's silly to characterize them as judges when they're NOT judges, right? Isn't the audience voting and determining who stays and goes? They're more like commentators. I feel like Jenny and Nicole are so starved for attention and camera time that they're interjecting themselves into the performances a lot more than they should be. 

Jenny and I are about the same age. She's starting to look like a drag queen (and I love some drag queens!) -- just doing too much -- too many boobs-all-out-outfits, excessive hair extensions, fake eyelashes, caricature makeup, plastic surgery/fillers/procedures, etc. It's a shame, because she naturally had such a pretty face. The fear of aging makes us do some crazy crap, doesn't it? I guess it's 100 times worse when you make a living on camera. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Dani said:

I think he has lost weight recently. Here he is while promoting his new game show. 

I've always thought he's definitely quirky enough to be the Rabbit but the Rabbit just generally gives me more of a JC or AJ (from BSB) vibe.  I still think he looks puffier than the rabbit. (I am not doubting that Joey is the rabbit)

19 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Even worse in one episode, Jenny was singing along. Unfortunately, this kind of thing has infected a lot of competitions. I don't watch AGT any more, but you'd see the judges and audience more than the acts, and they'd cut backstage so that Nick could tell us how amazing the act that we couldn't see was. The premier episode of World's Best  has a similar issue.

You're right, it's happening more and more and it's getting annoying. Dancing with The Stars is another example.

Jenny and Nicole need to shut up.

• Love 6

This is a problem so many shows have, with commentators/judges. I understand their entire reason for existing is to comment on the action, but I wish the showrunners would realize that constantly showing them takes away from the performance. If whatever the commentators are doing is So! Interesting! then just go with a picture-in-picture thing.

I don't think it's JC simply because, after his brief solo run following NSYNC, he got into producing and seemed to really enjoy (and even prefer) a behind-the-scenes role. Everyone thinks NSYNC hasn't reunited ONLY because Justin has done so well solo that he has no interest, but from what I've read over the years, JC isn't very interested either.

• Love 2

New clues up:

Peacock:  Who knew peacocks are related to whales?

Monster:  Loves to play all kinds of Games.

Bee:  Loves southern cooking.

Raven:  Her coworkers are truly devine.

Video clues:

Raven:  pregnancy test (doesn't show as pregnant.)

Peacock:  three fish (whales, I think) in his hand.

Monster:  looks like a skateboard wheel, but not sure.  Could be a rollerskate wheel.

Bee:  stainless steel pots?

22 hours ago, GoGamecox said:

Jenny and I are about the same age. She's starting to look like a drag queen (and I love some drag queens!) -- just doing too much -- too many boobs-all-out-outfits, excessive hair extensions, fake eyelashes, caricature makeup, plastic surgery/fillers/procedures, etc. It's a shame, because she naturally had such a pretty face. The fear of aging makes us do some crazy crap, doesn't it? I guess it's 100 times worse when you make a living on camera. 

As a friend of mine posted on Facebook on NYE: "Joan Rivers and Marky Mark's brother make a nice couple."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, chi-girl said:

New clues up:

Monster:  Loves to play all kinds of Games.

Bee:  Loves southern cooking.

Raven:  Her coworkers are truly devine.

Video clues:

Raven:  pregnancy test (doesn't show as pregnant.)

Peacock:  three fish (whales, I think) in his hand.

Monster:  looks like a skateboard wheel, but not sure.  Could be a rollerskate wheel.

Bee:  stainless steel pots?

T-Pain is a big gamer. 

Gladys Knight has published a cookbook. 

Ricki Lake made a documentary called The Business of Being Born and her mother in Hairspray was played by Divine. 

Edited by Guest
7 minutes ago, Dani said:

Gladys Knight has published a cookbook. 

Plus, she started a chain of chicken and waffle restaurants. Unfortunately, I believe most, if not all, have been closed.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, chi-girl said:

New clues up:

8 hours ago, Zanzibar said:

Donny Osmond has Welsh (Wales) roots.

Thanks for mentioning the Wales connection... because honestly (and I fully get that this is mean but oh well) the first thing I thought of was that Marie Osmond used to be a whale, until she started pitching for Nutrisystem and slimmed down.

• LOL 1
On 1/31/2019 at 4:06 PM, boyznkatz said:

The only thing that puzzles me about Fatone is that he's pretty hefty, and the rabbit doesn't look fat. Did he lose a lot of weight recently? 

Saw a picture of him taken last year and he definitely has lost weight.  Google shows that he was born in Brooklyn and a 2012 article talks about him performing a sleight of hand trick.  Singing while dancing ability checks too.  Lots so pointers.

As for Rumor Willis possibly being the Rabbit.  The family heirloom scrunchie could be a reference to Demi Moore in St. Elmo's Fire.  

• Love 1

At this point I think that most of us know who the people behind the masks are.  Now it's just going to be a matter of guessing who is going to be the winner.   So I think that Monster and Raven will wind up as toast  and it's going to be a showdown between Peacock, Rabbit, Bee, and Lion.  While I would love to see Peacock win, and I think Rabbit is very entertaining (minus the stupid twitch) - I think the final showdown is going to be woman on woman.   I also think the fix is in which is also why I think it will be between Bee and Lion.  Gladys Knight has no business even being in a show like this and as somebody upthread said, if she can get a gig like the Super Bowl (and singing the Star Spangled Banner), she should be way above this kind of show.  Peacock and Rabbit are fun and exciting to watch.  I already think that Lion is way over-rated, and other than the above and beyond costume, is boring.   Rumer Willis is also probably the least well-known person on this show, and that's why I kinda/sorta think that she may come in as #2 but not the winner.  Guess we'll eventually find out....

1 hour ago, 12catcrazy said:

At this point I think that most of us know who the people behind the masks are.  Now it's just going to be a matter of guessing who is going to be the winner.   So I think that Monster and Raven will wind up as toast  and it's going to be a showdown between Peacock, Rabbit, Bee, and Lion.  While I would love to see Peacock win, and I think Rabbit is very entertaining (minus the stupid twitch) - I think the final showdown is going to be woman on woman.   I also think the fix is in which is also why I think it will be between Bee and Lion.  Gladys Knight has no business even being in a show like this and as somebody upthread said, if she can get a gig like the Super Bowl (and singing the Star Spangled Banner), she should be way above this kind of show.  Peacock and Rabbit are fun and exciting to watch.  I already think that Lion is way over-rated, and other than the above and beyond costume, is boring.   Rumer Willis is also probably the least well-known person on this show, and that's why I kinda/sorta think that she may come in as #2 but not the winner.  Guess we'll eventually find out....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thewrap.com/masked-singer-clues-competition-identities-pineapple-hippo-celebrities-season-1/amp/

According to this article with the show runner there will be nine episodes. The groups combine next week, then a double elimination in episode 8, and then a three person finale. 

My guess is that the Raven is eliminated this week and the Alien next week. The double elimination I think will be Monster and Rabbit or Peacock. I agree that the results are fixed which means the reveal is more important than singing ability. Gladys and Rumer are the two least likely to be on the show so they will probably be the final two. I’m guessing that Gladys will win but they could feel like Rumer is a more surprising reveal.

Personally I’d like the final three to be Rabbit, Peacock and Bee. 

12 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

Rumer Willis is on Empire and Empire is on Fox, correct?  The Masked Singer is on Fox, right?   Hmmmmmm.  I still say the fix is in...

Yep and it just so happens that Empire usually airs on Wednesday’s. Another amazing coincidence is that it should come back from winter hiatus right around the time Masked Singer ends.