Type keyword(s) to search

The Masked Singer

• Start Topic

Tonight’s episode was fun.  Joel McHale is awesome, why can’t they add him permanently.  

I agree that all of the front runner guesses for each were confirmed or solidified tonight.  In today’s digital information age, the clues are too easy.  Maybe it was more suspenseful to the judges and the people in the audience going through it in real time, but at home it’s a bit too easy.

What is up with Nick Cannon?  First of all... please stop saying “sing-gurr”.  It’s “sing-er”!  What about the weird outfits?  In the first week he was channeling Frederick Douglass.  This week it was Punjab from the “Annie” comics.

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Marion Jones is 5'10'' and Lolo Jones is 5'9''.  How tall is Unicorn?  She looks about 6'1'' or 6'2'' in those heels.

She’s 5’6”. 

On 1/14/2019 at 5:47 PM, Catgyrl said:

Unicorn - Tori Spelling

In the clue package she was standing holding five little unicorns. I think Tori has five kids now. At least four - but possibly five. I was trying to think of someone with five kids.

I was thinking Terry Bradshaw while Deer was singing, tonight. I also kind of toyed with the possibility of Joe Namath.  I think a big tip off was Deer's mask was laced up like a football. 

I think Neil Patrick Harris was a good guess for Peacock. I think he did work with magic or magicians. I also considered Donny Osmond just because of the correlation between being a colorful peacock and a coat of many colors. When the singer wasn't sounding to twangy, he did sound a little like Donny. Plus he mentioned being on stage at age five. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, blackwing said:

In today’s digital information age, the clues are too easy.  Maybe it was more suspenseful to the judges and the people in the audience going through it in real time, but at home it’s a bit too easy.

Which leads me to wonder about the longevity of this show, even week-to-week. Once all the stars are guessed, it becomes just a novelty singing competition. I was actually shocked we got more clues this week.

I will say that I enjoy watching (presumed) older stars take on newer songs, like this is a reverse version of American Idol (where young hopefuls often sang older songs). But assuming this show comes back next year (if the ratings hold), I think they really need to cut down on the clues.

• Love 1

I am just really digging Monster whoever he is. Whatever song he sings each week is the one that gets stuck in my head for days afterwards. If Monster is T-Pain, who I'd never heard of before this show, then I'm a new fan.

Unicorn is driving me bonkers! I was leaning toward Tori Spelling until we got those "sheen" and "model" clues last night and my mind went straight to Denise Richards before the judges even said her name. The Unicorn's soft, breathy speaking voice sounds very much like Denise to me, and the gymnast "in the bedroom" crack totally sounds like something Denise would say (when she was married to Charlie, she revealed on a talk show she had a stripper pole in her bedroom). I didn't even notice the five stuffed baby unicorns, but I think that might also work for Denise because she had two daughters with Charlie, adopted a girl later, and has half-raised Sheen's twin sons who are always at her house. Tori does have five children as well, so that clue could also work for her. We should be finding out Unicorn's identity soon because she really does have the weakest voice left in both groups. When you sing a Britney Spears song and it sounds way more auto-tuned than the original, you're in trouble.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who keeps thinking Robin Thicke is his dad. I actually find myself calling him "Alan" when talking about the show with other people and I'm usually good with names! What's weird is that I never saw that strong of a resemblance when Robin first came onto the scene, but I guess he's morphing into his father with age. I liked that Robin figured out Deer's identity before the reveal by noticing the way Terry Bradshaw's shoulders shake when he laughs. That was some good detective work!

Always good to see Joel McHale! I loved how he kept shooting down the other judges' dumb guesses. Hee!

• Love 3

The only judge I remotely like is Robin Thicke. Jenny McCarthy is just beyond obnoxious - always has been and always will be - and I think the thing most obnoxious about her is that she truly thinks she is relevant. The other female judge - I don't even know her name - she doesn't smile. And I thought that Joel guy who was a guest judge last night was just an ass. He was a guest and he talked over the other judges, the host, the audience and well, that's everyone. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Ananayel said:

The Hayley clue solidifies Rumer Willis. The Willis family had a home for a long time in Hayley Idaho.

THANK YOU.  It was driving me nuts as to why Hailey was familiar to me in some capacity,  (Which means I started to care for this show...uh oh.)  

My best way of watching this show is to have it on the smaller picture in picture while i'm watching  something else and flip back when people are singing.  If the Soup was still on, Joel McHale would be ripping this show apart.  Which makes me wonder, what's the point of having a 10 episode run when you're already having a guest panelist for episodes 3 and 4? 

• Love 3

I was wrong about Peyton Manning (and well spotted, those who had Terry Bradshaw.)

I bring that up as inspiration for Jenny McCarthy, that when you're wrong about something, and there is overwhelming evidence (such as Terry Bradshaw showing himself in the costume, or kids not dying), it's OK to admit it and move on.  It's tempting to look at evidence that only fits what you think, but there's a point where you've got to realize you were mistaken, face facts, and make a change.

Moving on:  I wonder if Denise Richards is too tall for the unicorn?  That's the difference in Internet vs. live; a quick Google showed that Denise Richards is 5'6", so it's possible on that score.  Whomever it is took on a bold choice with Britney, and although it wasn't a vocal replica, I enjoyed the performance.  I also thought the lion was off from last week, but still good, and the Deer/Terry Bradshaw did better the second time.

I wonder who the second-place vote-getter was, even though that won't change the outcome.

I am too invested.

That's what makes this show fun.  You can think about it as much as you'd like--either by piecing the clues together and trying what fits, or "not at all" and enjoying the singing.

Did Joel McHale say "that's what NFL knees look like" to two different people?  If so, it'd be ironic if he was edited to seem less clever.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, marketdoctor said:

Did Joel McHale say "that's what NFL knees look like" to two different people?  If so, it'd be ironic if he was edited to seem less clever.

No, they played it as a teaser to make it look like he said that to Monster. But when they came back, he said it to an actual former NFL player. It was to throw us off.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Ananayel said:

Can Joel McHale please just replace Jenny McCarthy?

11 hours ago, blackwing said:

Tonight’s episode was fun.  Joel McHale is awesome, why can’t they add him permanently.  

9 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

Keep McHale, ditch the rest of them.

4 hours ago, BrainyBlonde said:

Always good to see Joel McHale! I loved how he kept shooting down the other judges' dumb guesses. Hee!

I flove Joel McHale.  I was so excited to see him on this show, but not surprised since he's friends with Ken Jeong. 

10 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I think Neil Patrick Harris was a good guess for Peacock. I think he did work with magic or magicians. I also considered Donny Osmond just because of the correlation between being a colorful peacock and a coat of many colors. When the singer wasn't sounding to twangy, he did sound a little like Donny. Plus he mentioned being on stage at age five. 

That's not NPH.  His voice doesn't sound like that.  As a HUGE fan of Dr. Horrible, I've listened to the songs more times than I'd like to admit. 

• Love 2
On 1/15/2019 at 2:11 PM, MsJamieDornan said:

Do we really know if the famous person is in the costume while preforming ? Maybe they just get in costumes for the reveal?

If it's not, I'll be very irritated since their ability to move (or lack thereof) while performing is presented as though it's a clue. So if it's a body double it's a giant fake-out. I don't mind the prerecorded vocals since the costumes likely would screw with the sound.

On 1/16/2019 at 4:26 AM, lovinbob said:

I am watching this with my 9 year old and I keep laughing every time they suggest someone unrealistic—like Jake Gyllenhall and Jane Fonda. He doesn't get it, and I'm trying to explain that there are certain people who just wouldn't do a show like this. It is really hard to listen to Jenny McCarthy and Nicole suggest that current A-list celebs would do this. It's one thing to dance with the stars; it's another to dress "like a deranged Easter bunny" (TM A Christmas Story).

That's how I approached it at first too, not even considering anyone too A-list, but then I found out some of the people who were on the Korean one. I know it's a common thing that lots of A-listers will do random commercials in Asia that they'd never do in the US, so maybe that corresponds to game shows too but....I'm not counting out this show from having at least one surprisingly too-famous-for-this-sort -of-thing participant. I do think the "judges" guesses have mostly been absurd, especially because when they've guessed people I highly doubt would do this it didn't even sound like that person. Still I won't be too surprised if one of the singers turns out to be someone big.

For the Peacock, I 100% believe it's Donny Osmond. However, when they do the pre-recorded clues with his voice sped up, I see how the sped up speaking voice does sound like it could be a sped-up NPH. Maybe Donny and NPH have more vocal mannerisms in common than we realize? In last night's episode though, the live Peacock talking into the distortion mic did sound a lot more like Donny to me than the pre-recorded stuff.

This show seems like it is getting good ratings so it will likely come back for a second season.   A large hook of the show is the mystery and the guessing game.  As someone upthread said, once the identity is figured out by the internet, the show just devolves into a generic singing competition, albeit with amazing costumes.  Yes I’ll keep tuning in to see Gladys Knight perform in a fantastic bee costume, but it’d be even more fun if I didn’t know it was her until the end.  

I think the show in the second season should throw in a lot of red herring clues.  Not all of the clues are real and some are deliberately misleading.  For example, the newspaper saying “gold struck in Hailey” pretty much identifies Rumer Willis.   Too obvious.

The closest misleading clues we’ve had that seems to have thrown people off are the Poodles references to exercise and her saying something about it being “my honor”.   Margaret Cho isn’t one who is associated with exercise or judges.  And the Unicorn saying something about losing her Sheen and being a model and something about flying.  None of those seem to point to Tori Spelling.

I wouldn’t mind having more cryptic or misleading clues just to keep things a little more interesting.  

• Love 5
19 hours ago, BrainyBlonde said:

I am just really digging Monster whoever he is. Whatever song he sings each week is the one that gets stuck in my head for days afterwards. If Monster is T-Pain, who I'd never heard of before this show, then I'm a new fan.

Unicorn is driving me bonkers! I was leaning toward Tori Spelling until we got those "sheen" and "model" clues last night and my mind went straight to Denise Richards before the judges even said her name. The Unicorn's soft, breathy speaking voice sounds very much like Denise to me, and the gymnast "in the bedroom" crack totally sounds like something Denise would say (when she was married to Charlie, she revealed on a talk show she had a stripper pole in her bedroom). I didn't even notice the five stuffed baby unicorns, but I think that might also work for Denise because she had two daughters with Charlie, adopted a girl later, and has half-raised Sheen's twin sons who are always at her house. Tori does have five children as well, so that clue could also work for her. We should be finding out Unicorn's identity soon because she really does have the weakest voice left in both groups. When you sing a Britney Spears song and it sounds way more auto-tuned than the original, you're in trouble.

Denise Richards gave up custody of the twins in 2013 after they were attacking her daughters and pets. She also grew up in Illinois and the unicorn is from Beverly Hills. 

12 hours ago, blackwing said:

This show seems like it is getting good ratings so it will likely come back for a second season.   A large hook of the show is the mystery and the guessing game.  As someone upthread said, once the identity is figured out by the internet, the show just devolves into a generic singing competition, albeit with amazing costumes.  Yes I’ll keep tuning in to see Gladys Knight perform in a fantastic bee costume, but it’d be even more fun if I didn’t know it was her until the end.  

I think the show in the second season should throw in a lot of red herring clues.  Not all of the clues are real and some are deliberately misleading.  For example, the newspaper saying “gold struck in Hailey” pretty much identifies Rumer Willis.   Too obvious.

The closest misleading clues we’ve had that seems to have thrown people off are the Poodles references to exercise and her saying something about it being “my honor”.   Margaret Cho isn’t one who is associated with exercise or judges.  And the Unicorn saying something about losing her Sheen and being a model and something about flying.  None of those seem to point to Tori Spelling.

I wouldn’t mind having more cryptic or misleading clues just to keep things a little more interesting.  

I think there are some red herrings thrown into the dialogue of the clue videos in particular with common phrases. I think the most important clues are the images and the things directly said. 

Edited by Guest

Glad to see a forum (or is it a topic?) for this, though I'm late to the party.  

Ok, so I think that Tori Spelling is the Unicorn,  Rikki Lake the Raven, Margaret Cho the Poodle,  I'm leaning to think Kendall Jenner may be the Alien (even though she might be too hot as a model right now to do this silly show), Gladys Knight is the Bee,  I have no clues about the Rabbit as I have no clue who Joey Fatone is or anybody from Boy Bands (I'm too old I guess), though it would crack me up if he were Donny Wahlberg.  The Peacock - almost all of you seem to think he's Donny Osmond, so I might have to concur.  Whoever he is, the guy can really sing!  I was also thinking Neil Patrick Harris, but I think the Peacock sounds "older", and Donny has got to be at least 60 at this point.  I had also briefly thought Mandy Patinkin but why would somebody with his career be on a show like this?  Plus he seems very serious, and this just wouldn't be his bag.  I had called Terry Bradshaw as the Deer, and as for the Monster - another one I have little clue about.  I like the CeeLo Greene guesses - and who the hell is T Pain (never heard of him)?  Checked out a video, and yeah, the Monster kinda sounds like him.  

Which leads me to scratch my head over the concept of having celebrities varying in age and fame from Terry Bradshaw to Antonio Brown (not being a football fan, I had no clue who A Brown was.  I know of Terry Bradshaw because, he's well, Terry Bradshaw, and I watch that crazy show he does with the other old dudes).  Just an odd concept but the whole show is just so bizarre I guess someone said "why not"?  

And finally - just dump the whole lot of the stupid judges.  Jenny Anti-Vax Whoever - good God, how did this woman get the title of "Pop Culture Guru" or whatever they tagged her with?  At least the other 3 judges (as lousy as they are) have some real talent at something, (even if it isn't guessing who is in the costumes)....  

• Love 5

I consider myself to be pretty up on pop culture and celebrities, but so far I have been stumped by all the singers. I just don't know enough about the lives of the B and C list celebrities to get the clues. I don't think the average person watching the show knows either. But I'm still enjoying it, and I liked the addition of Joel. Wish he could replace Jenny.

• Love 3

I finally found this forum! So, I apologize if I missed this as I skimmed through quickly, expecting to at least see his name mentioned, but I didn’t (although we’re many of his brother).

So, based on yesterday’s show (maybe there was a clue in week 1 that ruled him out that I forgot), I was convinced that the Peacock was Marky Mark (Mark Wahlberg). With the hints that suggested he was a former boy band type cum actor, his name just jumped to mind (I can’t figure out who the intended audience of this lunacy is, but the comment re: “our” mothers’ having had pictures on their walls made me realize that—although I’d consider it my generation who’d have been in his TeenBeat period demographic, whereas the common guess of Donny Osmond would be my mom’s—as young as I feel like I am, at 43, I COULD be in the age bracket of the theoretical mothers of the theoretical “you” they’re addressing, which a) made me feel old and b) made me think the assumption that he’s of a previous generation may be a misdirection, as, if there were a real audience (I agree with those who think there’s no real audience there: after all of the attention drawn to the degree of secrecy allegedly maintained throughout filming, it doesn’t jibe that they’d have open it up to hundreds of potential everyday fools to spoil), and they followed the template of many of these competitions, there’d be a group of telegenic teenage girls at the front, regardless of their representation of the audience demo in general: if that imaginary audience being addressed is the young adults typically represented as the audience of these shows, rather than the Xers I suspect most actually are, then the “your mother” would actually better fit the age range of the current age that I suspect most of us assuming they mean “our” mothers than someone from Osmond’s time would. Depressing, I know).

But, anyway, here’s the key thing that made me think I was no longer just pulling out names of former teenyboppers from that period who’ve had a resurgence in acting or another field (I forget how specific they were, but I know Week 1 I was thinking more generally about men whom I’d previously dismissed as members of manufactured hit groups with great success at that time but unproven actual talent but have turned into adults who are now taken more seriously on their own) when I did a quick search simply on “Mark Wahlberg Peacock” to see if this was coming up a lot in speculation. It wasn’t: the results I got instead further convinced me:

eleventy million mentions, including his own tweet from 2011, of “I’m a peacock; you gotta let me fly” (The Other Guys).

After last night’s performance, how could that not be him?

I then checked wrt Vegas—hoping to see he’d fone a residency there or something—and they’ve recently opened a Wahlburgers restaurant in Vegas. I don’t recall the clues well enough to know if there was anything more specific that was leading to the expectation that it was performance or magic related, but there’s that.

And, if there was something more specific to magic (I think there was, as my first thought, before any other hints, had been Penn, although I think he’s broader than this costume seems to allow for (I generally don’t think we can gauge based on size if the costume makes someone appear bigger or taller, but I don’t think it could shrink someone, and Penn seems to have such a larger frame that, even if he were dangerously thin, he’d still be bigger than this costume suggests possible): subsequent hints have made it clear that it’s not him anyway, but I think one of the judge’s suggested Teller, reaffirming (probably incorrectly) one’s leap, even if subconscious, to a Vegas-type act; this seems like a red herring: Vegas and Magic  could be discrete (again, unless I’m forgetting something more concrete: I haven’t gone back to check, so I feel like I have to constantly add that disclaimer, as “guessing” is so strongly rooted in confirmation bias). But, if there was Vegas and magic both mentioned (leading most to inherently connect them, while they could be discrete clues), wasn’t MW in Magic Mike? (Added: erm, apparently he wasn’t. For some reason, googling “Mark Wahlberg magic” brings up a shitton of Magic Mike info, including many reviews that also mention Wahlberg”... and that I guess ppl want him to be in it? Or comparing it to his films? But I guess he wasn’t, actually, despite even The Washington Post referencing both in the same review. PSA, I guess you have to read past the Goog blurb to know things. So I’m a dummy. But I’m doing a good job at proving how strongly the confirmation bias aspect is here. Now, if I were someone who did better than just reading the summaries from Google as “research,” I’d also check on the specifics of the magic clue, but I’m not, and I’m leaving this in only because it almost does a better job of showing how the metonymy (such as Vegas for magic) affects our interpretations, when Vegas really could be about hamburger stands and magic ... something else (it’d help if I remembered if the magic connection was confirmed or we really did get there from its Vegas, but if it is, maybe it’s a similar situation. Or maybe I’m just an idiot).

Peacock has the Michael Jackson clue, right? I’m now over this enough that I can’t be fussed to do more digging, but there WAS some weird alleged dramz between the two re: post-9/11 escape-NY planes. Whether that fits the clue well enough, again, I’m now too annoyed to check (and I suspect Michael Jackson intersected with anyone Hollywood-y at some level as to make that as effective a determiner as saying someone’s acting career had them connected to Kevin Bacon with fewer than six degrees of separation, but it’s enough for me now just because of the specificity of that one line regarding his being a peacock and you (and your mama, or the depressing possibility that “you” Olds (me) ARE your mama) gotta let him fly.

Unless I’ve missed significant discussion of this (given my overestimated Google Fu prowess, a strong possibility), I am either a damn fucking genius or as clueless about film, the universe, and everything as I’ve ever been, so the real loser here is you for reading this whole thing. And for discovering that the entertainer assumed to be in his 60s or older because [the audience’s] mother woulda heartthrobbed him is actually just as arguably of the next generation, and Your Mama is YOU, 35 to 55. And, that Hollywood STILL thinks that means you’re Old.

[I got through this whole spiel without mentioning my hate for Jenny McCarthy. But every time I see Nicole Scherzinger, my heart aches a bit for the original of the  Make a Star Competitive Faux-Reality genre, Popstars, which coincidentally was how I discovered Mighty Big TV back in the day. Ah, the memories. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Catgyrl said:

I don't know of anyone whose mamas had NPH's posters on their wall. LOL!

NPH and I are about the same age and I was definetly known to have teen heart throb pictures all over my wall.  I didn't put NPH up because he had such a baby face, but I bet some girls did!  I still don't think it IS NPH, but I don't agree with that statement. 

A1MDw-8OqrL._SY606_.jpg

3d2a0a1167116f3487e11d635ba20101.jpg

• Love 1

I feel like Peacock's reaction to one of the judges saying he was born to perform or born to be onstage, something like that, is something of a tell. He chuckled and said "thank you" like he was caught off guard with the comment and reacted honestly, not scriptedly. So, since Donny Osmond has been performing his whole life in a performing family, the chuckle could have meant "you have no idea how right you are!" Or, the "thank you" that sounded sincere and possibly a bit surprised meant "whoa, maybe I'm better than I thought!" I haven't seen Donny onstage, so I don't know how Peacock's stage moves compare, but he was workin' it, for sure.

Most everyone believes the Lion is Rumer Willis, but after the new clues given (activism, building things), I think it might actually be Scout Willis.  She's part of the Free the Nipple campaign and she's built homes for charity.  She is also a singer.  She and Gus Wenner were a duo. clip

Many of the clues that fit Rumer also fit Scout, but I'm not sure Rumer fits the building and activism ones.

On 1/16/2019 at 2:49 AM, Poohbear617 said:

I feel i am all alone on this guess..but i believe that Monster is Ceelo Green.

That's not a bad guess.  He's Southern. And he voiced the Mummy in Hotel Transylvania.  

I feel that the judges aren't supposed to make accurate guesses until the right before the singer is unmasked.  If they guess correctly too soon, it might ruin the mystery.

1 hour ago, Josette said:

I feel that the judges aren't supposed to make accurate guesses until the right before the singer is unmasked.  If they guess correctly too soon, it might ruin the mystery.

I think so too. When "Hailey" popped up on the newspaper Lion was holding, one of the male judges said "Hailey Idaho?" There is probably no reason to know it is a town in Idaho unless you know the Willis family lived there. I mean, it doesn't even have 10,000 residents! I did think Lion may be another Willis daughter, and if Scout sings that's a good guess. Aren't there Empire clues though?

Maybe it's just me, but figuring out who these singers are is secondary to the fabulous costumes for me.  But then, that's the cosplay in me.

Also, Nick, please stop using a hard G in Singer.  Seen G ur. 

Ug.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Ananayel said:

I did think Lion may be another Willis daughter, and if Scout sings that's a good guess. Aren't there Empire clues though?

Oh, also, lemme add, the lion said nothing "Gold" was on her walls. Rumer has won a mirrorball trophy. I wonder if that's why she phrased it that way. 

Also, I think Scout is taller, but I definitely agree that she's the activist I first think of in the family. 

12 minutes ago, Biosynth said:

I have no idea how that is different. I may not know how to pronounce singer...

• Love 1

I happened to catch this episode and guessed Terry Bradshaw as the deer was singing. That voice is unique :D

Nice roster of B? / C? class celebs as judges / commentators from the past.   

Robin Thicke looks more like his dad as he gets older.  Has Nicole S always had that much make up on?? When PCD were popular I was too distracted by her other assets to pay attention :P :D :D :D

• Love 3

Since Jenny McCarthy is married to Donnie Wahlburg- that makes me think they would not have (Marky) Mark Wahlburg on this show plus he is a little too A-B list for the show (IMHO)...

People loved Donny Osmond when I was in elementary school. I was more of a David Cassidy fan myself if I had to pick from the musical families of the day....

@ Methadonna - Huh???  I think I read your post 3 times and still say ????  And if you think you're old at 43, hun, I could be your Mom, so when Dinosaurs walked the Earth in my youth, Donny O. was kinda/sorta the rage,  And when he sang with his brothers, they were like the ultimate Boy Band from back then. (along with the Jackson's who were the Black Osmond bros or were the Osmonds the white Jacksons....) .  I think Marky Mark is too successful to be on this show.  

Interesting guess above about the Lion being Scout Willis.  I felt compelled to do some youtubing and look at clips of both Rumer and Scout singing, and they are both pretty good singers.  In the Rumer clip I watched, I thought she sounded like the Blues singer/songwriter Beth Hart, and she didn't really sound like the Lion but I guess people can sing in different styles.  Don't know for sure if Lion is Rumer but the clues seem to be pointing in that direction even though the voice has me saying maybe not.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Josette said:

Most everyone believes the Lion is Rumer Willis, but after the new clues given (activism, building things), I think it might actually be Scout Willis.  She's part of the Free the Nipple campaign and she's built homes for charity.  She is also a singer.  She and Gus Wenner were a duo. clip

Many of the clues that fit Rumer also fit Scout, but I'm not sure Rumer fits the building and activism ones.

Interesting guess. The building clue fits Scout better but the whispers and fake news clue fits Rumer better. I think most people jumped to  Rumer because of the Lion connection. Rumer is a Leo, had a lion tattoo, and was on Empire. 

Edited by Guest
6 hours ago, Ananayel said:

I feel like Peacock's reaction to one of the judges saying he was born to perform or born to be onstage, something like that, is something of a tell. He chuckled and said "thank you" like he was caught off guard with the comment and reacted honestly, not scriptedly. So, since Donny Osmond has been performing his whole life in a performing family, the chuckle could have meant "you have no idea how right you are!" Or, the "thank you" that sounded sincere and possibly a bit surprised meant "whoa, maybe I'm better than I thought!" I haven't seen Donny onstage, so I don't know how Peacock's stage moves compare, but he was workin' it, for sure.

Judging by this Youtube video Donny is definitely a showman. 

On 1/9/2019 at 10:18 PM, bettername2come said:

Wasn't their a line about experiencing loss recently? Because that's who I thought at first, but couldn't find anything stating that. 

I would be amused if Raven Symone was Raven, but it didn't sound like her. 

Didn't they say unicorn was 5'8"? That rules out Nichole Richie, but leaves Paris in the running. 

Did they not do heights this episode? I feel like they must have decided that was too big a clue.

Ricki Lake’s second husband, a jewelry designer, to whom she was married from 2012 through 2015, had bipolar disorder & committed suicide in February of 2017

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove an unnecessary capital letter.
On 1/16/2019 at 7:26 AM, lovinbob said:

Gladys Knight is a legend (and that voice--just enough rasp but not as much as Tina), but I think she needs paychecks. As I recall she lost a lot of money years ago due to gambling.  

She's singing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl. That's gotta be a pretty sweet paycheck, especially since they had trouble getting acts this year.

Edited by Jillybean
On 1/14/2019 at 6:31 PM, chi-girl said:

I originally thought that the Deer was Peyton Manning, but then I saw this:  "the competitors are said to have a combined 65 Grammy nominations, 16 multi-Platinum albums, 16 Emmy nominations, 9 Broadway shows, 4 Superbowl titles and 4 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame."

I don't believe Antonio Brown has a Superbowl title which would mean that the remaining person (assuming there isn't another NFL player besides the Deer) would have to have 4 titles.  Terry Bradshaw has four.  Peyton Manning has one.  Not sure about any of the other NFL players who were "guesses" and how many they might have.

I think that overall clue may help with some of the others as well--especially as more people are revealed.

Peyton Manning played in 4 Super Bowls—Super Bowls XLI, XLIV, XLVIII, & 50; of those 4, he & his team at the time won 2. He won Super Bowl XLI with the Indianapolis Colts & Super Bowl 50 with the Denver Broncos in his final season as an NFL player.

On 1/15/2019 at 5:00 PM, blackwing said:

I don't even know who Ross Matthews is.  (But again, I've never heard of Ally Wong either, who I believe was Jenny's guess for the Poodle.)  I see that multiple here suggest he is the Raven, and I'm surprised.  I know that Ken initially thought it was a man (the body was compact with thick legs) but once the Raven started singing I thought it was very evident it is a woman.  Ricki Lake seems like an obvious choice given the clues.

Curious to see what ridiculous guesses the judges come up with this week.  Perhaps Tom Brady for the Deer, Michelle Obama for the Lion, Melania Trump for the Unicorn?

When Jay Leno hosted The Tonight Show, Ross played a character called Ross the Intern, who would participate in comedy bits on the show, I think including interviewing in “man on the street” type things. Then he moved on to E! after Leno left the show. He co-hosted some of their celebrity award show red carpets & fashion-related shows (& may still do that), & he did his own talk show, I think after being part of the cast of another E! talk show, Chelsea LatelyHe’s also done other things. I think he has his own podcast as well.

I think there's a Braxton on here.  As soon as she started singing, I thought it was Toni...with the super low voice.

Also, totally didn't know any WIllis could sing.  That's why I thought the Lion was NOT a Willis.  If so, it all fits!

7 hours ago, Ananayel said:

I think so too. When "Hailey" popped up on the newspaper Lion was holding, one of the male judges said "Hailey Idaho?" There is probably no reason to know it is a town in Idaho unless you know the Willis family lived there. I mean, it doesn't even have 10,000 residents! I did think Lion may be another Willis daughter, and if Scout sings that's a good guess. Aren't there Empire clues though?

Hailey, Idaho is either where the pretty well-known (& often celebrity magnet) ski resort Sun Valley is located, or it’s the closest town to it. So if you follow the entertainment world, or you’re into skiing, you might be familiar with it.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
50 minutes ago, VartanFan said:

I think there's a Braxton on here.  As soon as she started singing, I thought it was Toni...with the super low voice.

Also, totally didn't know any WIllis could sing.  That's why I thought the Lion was NOT a Willis.  If so, it all fits!

Bruce Willis released a couple of solo albums in the late 1980’s (during the Moonlighting era of his career & while he was still a really hot commodity in entertainment). I think he also contributed songs to the soundtracks of various movies he starred or otherwise participated in (like doing voices for animated characters).

6 hours ago, Dani said:

Judging by this Youtube video Donny is definitely a showman. 

I've seen his and Marie's Vegas show. Treated myself and did the meet-n-greet afterward. They're both very kind and warm. But BOYOHBOY... is he a lot shorter than I thought! I felt like a giant next to him. :-). They were all called the "One-Take-Osmonds", so I'm sure that showmanship was drilled into them at a very early age.

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Bruce Willis released a couple of solo albums in the late 1980’s (during the Moonlighting era of his career & while he was still a really hot commodity in entertainment). I think he also contributed songs to the soundtracks of various movies he starred or otherwise participated in (like doing voices for animated characters).

Ahem... I may or may not have his version of "Youngblood" and "Respect Yourself" (with the Pointer Sisters) on an audiocassette that I cannot play because I no longer have my Walkman. 

• Love 3

ok detail folks. I had guessed Terry Bradshaw for the Deer because it looked like the insert into the end of his gas mask helmet was wrapped with a blue cloth measuring tape (like a person on NutriSystem would use to measure their waists). Anybody else think so??

12 minutes ago, Catgyrl said:

I've seen his and Marie's Vegas show. Treated myself and did the meet-n-greet afterward. They're both very kind and warm. But BOYOHBOY... is he a lot shorter than I thought! I felt like a giant next to him. :-). They were all called the "One-Take-Osmonds", so I'm sure that showmanship was drilled into them at a very early age.

You must be quite tall yourself.  I am 5'9" like Donny, and I don't consider myself anything close to short.   I've also seen Donny and Marie's shows in Vegas several times, and they put on an amazing show.  They are very giving of their time during the meet and greets, too, and are very easy to talk to. My daughter and I have also attended two of Donny's fan get-togethers in Vegas (which I don't think he does anymore) and had an amazing time.  Donny was our tour guide to Hoover Dam, and he sat on our laps on the bus trip back to Vegas from the dam.  He is very down-to-earth, funny, and appreciative of his fans.  His entire family (wife and children, as well as Marie) participated in those fan weekends.  My daughter and I feel like we've seen Donny do the dance move that Peacock did after he came down the steps from the lift during "Counting Stars."  Peacock also covers nearly the entire stage when he performs, something that Donny does as well when he sings in Vegas.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Biosynth said:

Ug.

Yes!  I complained about this as well.  Drives me crazy.

9 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

I have no idea how that is different. I may not know how to pronounce singer...

I say “sing-ur”, second syllable rhymes with “her”.  He’s saying “sing-gurr”, same sounds but he adds a hard G to the second syllable.  He says “sing” and then says the G again with a hard G.  Does anyone else pronounce the word his way,  I’ve never heard it that way before.