Type keyword(s) to search

The Masked Singer

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Rumer Willis is on Empire and Empire is on Fox, correct?  The Masked Singer is on Fox, right?   Hmmmmmm.  I still say the fix is in...

Rumer was on Empire. Her character overdosed, but I think it is her anyway.

Watching tonight, there is no way this panel will ever get T-Pain. Heck, I don't even know who T-Pain is, but Monster is my favorite performer. He puts so much into every performance and he's a joy to watch. I probably enjoy him more since I only know him as Monster.

I'm sure when the show comes back, they'll get higher profile performers, but for my money, it's the T-Pains and the Margaret Chos and the not-quite-household names that have made this show for me.

• Love 6

I have never liked Donny Osmond this much!  I mean, he brought the Joseph wig, and the Technicolor Dreamcoat!  That the judges all thought was the Pride flag, but he was twirling it just like he does in the show.  And he just seems to be having so much fun.  Plus, the way he brushed off Jenny McCarthy, and she actually fell for it, was gold.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Good show tonight.  All of the performers really sang well, but Ricki Lake was the weakest so I can’t say I’m sorry to see her go.  

Ken was hilarious tonight.  Loved his constant references to his win last week.  Nicole looked amazing.  Everything about her was perfect, the blue yarn dress, the hair, everything.

On voice alone, Gladys Knight should clearly win, but I’m worried for her as she doesn’t have the performance skills of Peacock or the Rabbit.

For some reason, I really don’t want Donny to win.  I get it, he’s a seasoned performer but there’s something really showboaty about him that I don’t enjoy as much.  None of the judges got the wig he wore in “Jesus Christ Superstar” in London.  Or was that a Joseph wig?  Looked more like a classic Jesus wig.

Next week we will likely lose LaToya.  Then it seems like any of these have a chance to win.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 7

Another fun episode. So it was Ricki Lake. Not that I guessed it was her. I think that the judges are taking turns getting it right. It so obvious that they have already figured out who the performers are, but are enjoying pretending not know. I did feel bad for Ken having to give up his crown.

Edited by SimoneS

Shaun Cassidy would be a good one for next season. He's moved on to producing and directing, so not currently known as a singer, but still got it. I saw a youtube video of him singing with David something from Blood Brothers. Also Wayne Brady. The producers should be taking note of the guesses!

• Love 3

Ricki sang a lot better out of the mask.

I need Gladys to sing some sort of rock song, just for the hell of it.  It's fairly obvious it's her. 

9 minutes ago, Eolivet said:

Watching tonight, there is no way this panel will ever get T-Pain. Heck, I don't even know who T-Pain is, but Monster is my favorite performer.

Surprisingly he was the only one I guessed from the start.  He was the king of the auto tune a decade ago.  

Fox did the press tour today and said they will make changes for the second season.  https://deadline.com/2019/02/masked-singer-season-2-security-fox-craig-plestis-tca-1202551571/

21 hours ago, ichbin said:

The family heirloom scrunchie could be a reference to Demi Moore in St. Elmo's Fire.  

I have no idea why I thought this, but I went in the opposite direction; when she shaved her head for G.I. Jane.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Clearly none of those judges ever had to watch Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in school. 

And Nick even said at the end of "Peacock's" song . . . "That was an amazing performance."  No doubt.  Would bet money on it.

• Love 1

I love this show just  for reminding me how good Donny Osmond and Gladys Knight are and for bringing T-Pain to my attention.

Ricki Lake really had no chance against this group. She was good but the other three are seasoned pros.

I wonder if they are no longer altering the singing voices because for the last two weeks it seemed obvious just from the singing.

Ken is the best judge because he embraces the absurdity of the show. 

Surprisingly I am really liking Robin as a judge and every time he speaks I am reminded of his father.  

Nicole and Jenny bring nothing to the judging and they talk to much. 

ETA: I like that they have added the clue explanation at the end. There have been several little tweaks to the format that makes me think that the flaws might be fixed next season. 

Edited by Guest

I can't wait to see the changes.  The concept is really neat.  I agree with the person upthread who said Wayne Brady.   Or heck any of the improv guys...their voices morph.

I can handle Nicole because she hasn't said too much.   I thought her dress was cool LOL.   Jenny has gotten the overbearing cotton headed ninnymuggin edit.   Way too much screen time, awkward dancing, stupid guesses....and we have the pleasure of her non comments which again, is basically because editing hates her and has decided to make her the loon of the group.  If we need a token blonde please recast.

In many Asian countries the TV judges to "variety shows" are often actors or comedians but they are mostly regular looking people who are hired to keep the show going and making funny comments.   So the talent entertains the audience and then the judges entertain the audience.   I've noticed the trend in American TV is to cast spokesmodel type judges....usually a blonde judge or ethnic judge.   And the women look like they spend 4 hours in hair and makeup.  But then again Asian countries are more homogeneous so there isn't a need for the blonde haired Asian judge or an alt ethnic judge.   I guess I watch a lot sports shows and it always stands out to me that the women are painfully thin, wearing dresses and heels and are perfectly coiffed and the men can be overweight and throw on a suit.  

I wasn't aware of the things that happened to Ricki Lake.   It seemed like a cathartic experience for her which was nice.

Robin and Ken are ok.  They seem into the guessing and are doing it in a way that isn't offending to the potential reveals.   This is a skill since you can't really blurt out what you are really thinking.   I think they should have Snoop as a judge....or a contestant!  More Snoop.

I wonder if they could make this a single episode kind of series so it could go into syndication later.   Basically eliminate everyone in an episode so there can be a winner whose money goes to charity?   Then there could be an all rapper edition, all beauty queen edition, boy band members, athletes, Olympic medalists....the concept could be stretched and then people only commit a week or so to learn and tape the episode since they'd have to learn at least 4 songs.

14 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Gladys Knight has no business even being in a show like this

And why not? It's a fun, light show...and maybe she enjoys the anonymity and playing along.

I find it interesting that some folks will bitch about shows (i.e. DWTS) for not getting true "stars" or celebrities, but when something fun like this comes along, A-celebrities have no business being there. You can't have it both ways. I hope it's Gladys...and if it IS Gladys, I commend the producers of TMS for getting her on the show. Bravo!

• LOL 1
  • Love 14

I'm kind of sorry to see Ricki Lake go, even though (for me) she was the easiest one to guess.

At least for next year, and possibly a few forward, this might be the new "get me on that show" show.  Whomever cast this season did a great job.  Also, I'm going to give "Dr. Ken" another shot.

I want to see what Melissa Villasenor would do with it, and yes, Wayne Brady would be a great choice (as would Brad Sherwood.)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MsTree said:

And why not? It's a fun, light show...and maybe she enjoys the anonymity and playing along.

I find it interesting that some folks will bitch about shows (i.e. DWTS) for not getting true "stars" or celebrities, but when something fun like this comes along, A-celebrities have no business being there. You can't have it both ways. I hope it's Gladys...and if it IS Gladys, I commend the producers of TMS for getting her on the show. Bravo!

If anything, I now want a Gladys Knight covers album immediately.  

10 hours ago, Dani said:

Surprisingly I am really liking Robin as a judge and every time he speaks I am reminded of his father.  

Seeing J.B. Smoove will be on only makes me hope this gets mentioned in some way and to me, the only reason I cannot truly hate him: 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I want the Bee to win. GLADYS!!

Her voice is so strong. Most people her age, even the best, have less power in their voice by the time they reach that age.

And it would make me happy to see her win something like this, and gain a whole new generation of devoted fans.

• Love 6

People kept saying that Gladys Knight is the Bee so I decided to listen to all of the Bee's performances since I only started watching the last couple of weeks. And damn, it is her!  To quote Robin Thicke, I recognize the vibrato. Her voice is so distinct. She was careful to hold back to try disguise her voice when she sang Chandelier, but she couldn't help letting go when she sang Locked Out Of Heaven and then she reigned back in a little for Wrecking Ball and she still killed them all! Seriously, Sia, Bruno Mars, or Miley Cyrus must be in heaven that Gladys Knight covered their songs. The judges must know it is her although only Robin will admit it. I don't get what she is doing this show other than she must be having money problems, but it is definitely Gladys Knight. But I agree after this, she has got to do a cover album. It will sell out! 

About Robin Thicke, I really think that this show is helping rehabilitate his image. He is the good "serious" judge.

I want the finalists to be the Bee, Monster, and Rabbit. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 2:23 PM, mamadrama said:

Geeze guys, okay! I get it. It's probably Joey. I didn't think 4 people were going to pounce on me. I was just throwing it out there as an idea. I'm certainly not the only one out there who has tossed his name in as an idea. I thought part of the fun was trying to guess...

+1 a small mini-rant, if you will, because I did it to myself.

Part of the fun of the internet  is that we get to have instant access to other people who are also enjoying the same thing we are- no longer do we have to ask in a bar or around work to find the folks who are watching and enjoying the same things. The downside to that is that on every single subject, there are always a few "I know things" or "I am smarter than you are" or "Let me tell you what I know". I came to the forums after the first episode to see what others thoughts were. We have a few "tell you what I know"'s on here. So far- the spoilers have been 100% accurate and that saddens me. Instead of being able to throw out a guess and have fun and enjoy a community, people like the poster I quoted get beat down because their guess didn't match the Google rabbit hole.

Can we collectively agree that if you have to go Google to see if a clue matches, then it's not in the sprit of the show and maybe, just maybe, you should post that thought under a spoiler with the lead in of "I Googled and found this:" rather than just out there? Probably not, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

• Love 9

I think

Spoiler

Monster

will win because the show's executive producer said

Spoiler

that the panel never guessed the winner's identity. I believe that means it must be Monster/T-Pain.   Some people may say it means Lion/Rumer Willis, but I think the panel may be onto her.

I wish he had kept his mouth shut because, if nothing else, I now know who won't win.

• Love 3

I think some of the contestants, even the "legends" are doing it because a) it's fun, b) something they never thought they could do, c) to introduce themselves to a new audience. I don't think I've ever heard T-Pain, if that's who Monster is, but I've been impressed. There's at least one generation that probably has no idea about Donny Osmond or Gladys Knight, except as old-people references. I had no idea Margaret Cho could sing at all. I do hope they make changes for next season, maybe dial back the number of clues in each episode (perhaps one in the video package, one question by the judges) so they aren't as easy to guess.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, justawatcher said:

Part of the fun of the internet  is that we get to have instant access to other people who are also enjoying the same thing we are- no longer do we have to ask in a bar or around work to find the folks who are watching and enjoying the same things. The downside to that is that on every single subject, there are always a few "I know things" or "I am smarter than you are" or "Let me tell you what I know". I came to the forums after the first episode to see what others thoughts were. We have a few "tell you what I know"'s on here. So far- the spoilers have been 100% accurate and that saddens me. Instead of being able to throw out a guess and have fun and enjoy a community, people like the poster I quoted get beat down because their guess didn't match the Google rabbit hole.

Can we collectively agree that if you have to go Google to see if a clue matches, then it's not in the sprit of the show and maybe, just maybe, you should post that thought under a spoiler with the lead in of "I Googled and found this:" rather than just out there? Probably not, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway.

For that to work almost all talk about the clues would need to be posted as a spoiler. I would need google almost everything about T-Pain and Rumer Wilis but almost nothing about some of the others. Maybe a moderator can come up with official rules to be followed. 

2 hours ago, justawatcher said:

I see your point.  But everything would need to be considered a spoiler.  There are things that I might guess as a fan because I know x,y,z about a contestant, but others may need to google to find it.  In both cases, the guess would be the same.  The only thing I could come up with that might solve this would be to have separate topics--one for people who are using the internet for clues and one for those who aren't.  Hopefully the admins can give us some guidance.

I'm not sure I agree with your second part about google/the internet not being in the spirit of the show.   I'm having fun deciphering the clues and learning things about the contestants at the same time.   (Both from the internet and from people posting here.)  I do feel that the show should give out fewer clues the next time so that figuring it out who everyone is takes a little more time.

• Love 3

Ok, I had to peak at Josette's post with the hidden spoilers.  Sigh.  I still think that my guess is going to be correct rather than who Josette thinks and I still think the whole thing is a fix.  If I am incorrect, I will beat myself with a wet noodle and Youtube a bunch of the winner's music (not a genre I usually listen to).   I honestly don't think that the judges have any say in who wins this thing, nor the studio audience.   I don't know if I'm going to be in for Season 2 unless they do some tweaking.   Anybody else think that they should just do away with the clues entirely and  just let the contestants just sing or does that spoil the fun?  

I also have mixed feelings about doing all the guessing with google available but when you have a show with contestants across the age range we have here, oldsters like me know some and the younger folks know others.  As I've said earlier, I never heard of T-Pain or Joey Fatone before this show and the guessing on this forum.  And I haven't heard Donny Osmond sing in 30 years (never would've guessed him as Peacock without the clues).  This show has been kind of fun guilty entertainment but part of the fun for me is coming to this forum as nobody I know otherwise watches the show.  

• Love 5

I agree that it's difficult to know how to treat spoilers. There was a person on Reddit who was certain from the first episode about who one of the singers is. Reading his post, I couldn't tell if he knew for certain or was just guessing, so I chalked it up as simply more speculation.

I would hope that if someone is claiming their info is accurate because they were in the audience or a member the crew, etc. that they'd put that in spoilers. Otherwise, I consider it all guesswork

Frankly, I'd still be lost on all them if it weren't for the rest of you!

On 2/7/2019 at 9:31 AM, mtlchick said:

If anything, I now want a Gladys Knight covers album immediately.  

Seriously! I really liked Wrecking Ball when Miley first came out with it, but never bought it. Bee's version, I wanted to go download immediately. I would love to hear her do some Lady Gaga.

8 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I don't get what she is doing this show other than she must be having money problems

She did DWTS a few years ago, but combined with the National Anthem at the Super Bowl this week, I really think she's just trying to access a new audience. I don't think we can necessarily point to money issues, because she could probably just license the crap out of her songbook and make plenty of passive money that way. I think she just genuinely loves performing, even after doing it for almost 70 years.

6 hours ago, Ananayel said:

I think some of the contestants, even the "legends" are doing it because a) it's fun, b) something they never thought they could do, c) to introduce themselves to a new audience. I don't think I've ever heard T-Pain, if that's who Monster is, but I've been impressed. There's at least one generation that probably has no idea about Donny Osmond or Gladys Knight, except as old-people references.

Agree with all your points. I'm in my late-30s and I heard plenty of Gladys Knight growing up, but my parents really disliked the Osmonds so I didn't get much exposure to him, until the 00s when Donny was on some cheesy shows (possibly on VH1?). I found him cheesy himself, so I never listened to any of his stuff. However, I LOVE Broadway, and we did Joseph in my high school choir class, so after the wig was revealed and he made the jail reference, I looked up his performance of "Close Every Door to Me" on YouTube and was blown away. I don't know that I'll start going to any of his shows now, but I at least have an appreciation for him that I didn't before, and maybe I'll buy some of his music.

3 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

I honestly don't think that the judges have any say in who wins this thing, nor the studio audience.

I was thinking that maybe when contracts were signed, the actual professional singers had it written into their contracts that they would not be eliminated before the non-professional singers. Imagine if, say, Gladys Knight was eliminated before Margaret Cho. It would be a complete embarrassment for Gladys professionally, and she would not sign up for this show (nor would her managers allow her to) if there was a possibility of her being humiliated. It's not an actual game show, as it doesn't appear that there are cash prizes for the finalists, so (I think) the producers can do whatever they want with the order of eliminations.

Also, I watched this week's episode on Thursday morning, and came here immediately after to see what everyone had to say. I must have checked 100 times over the course of Thursday and Friday to see if the forums were back up. Around visit 50 I realized I might have an issue. 🙈

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
On 2/7/2019 at 5:12 AM, marketdoctor said:

At least for next year, and possibly a few forward, this might be the new "get me on that show" show.  Whomever cast this season did a great job.  Also, I'm going to give "Dr. Ken" another shot.

I think you’re right that this is going to be the hot show for celebrities. There are so many who could benefit from the spotlight without the preconceived opinions that come with their names. 

I've tried watching this a few times and I feel silly for saying this, but the costumes freaked me out so much that I just couldn't watch.  Then I gave it one more shot last week and got freaked out again, lol. 

A NOTE FROM THE MOD:

(Sorry, we have temporarily lost our ability to highlight our posts in gold...)

Clues posted by the show on the internet are not spoilers and do not require a spoiler tag.   If you would like to use a spoiler tag for these, that is fine--but it is not required.

Spoilers include:

* Information about upcoming episodes coming from sources other than promos

* Spoiler rumors from social media or other sources (such as the friend of a friend who attended a taping, etc).

• Love 2

I just started watching (as in binged them all in one night, lol) so I'm sure I'm making guesses everyone else has made.  I've read most of this thread and while I know a lot of people are convinced Rabbit is Joey Fatone, I'm still sticking with JC Chasez because I'm contrary like that.  I do agree that Peacock is Donny Osmond, but it blows my mind that I never realized how much Donny Osmond sounds like David Hasselhoff, because when he started singing I immediately thought it was the Hoff and I've actually seen DO in concert before.  If it wasn't for the height given (and other clues in later episodes that made it pretty obvious it was DO) I would still be arguing for DH.

No clue on the Lion.  

Bee - Gladys Knight

Monster - I'm going with Ruben Stoddard.  I think the costume is built like that to hide his body shape.

Alien - Latoya Jackson (although I thought it was a Kardashian at first)

I was inordinately pleased to have guessed Tommy Chong, Margaret Cho, and Tori Spelling right 😁

• Love 2
10 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

I'm in my late-30s and I heard plenty of Gladys Knight growing up,

When I was a kid I got one of those best of the 70’s albums as a gift and “Midnight Train to Georgia” was on it. I played the hell out of that thing.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 2
On 2/6/2019 at 11:44 PM, MsTree said:

It seems to me I heard somewhere-maybe the Top Secret directors' commentary?- that some serious actor was thrilled to be in the silly movie and jumped at the chance to do it because no one had ever asked them before. Maybe Gladys is like that.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Dani said:

I think you’re right that this is going to be the hot show for celebrities. There are so many who could benefit from the spotlight without the preconceived opinions that come with their names. 

I agree.  This show is a ratings hit so I think more people who would never have agreed to be on this show are going to want to do it.  I'd like to see some truly A-list movie stars who can find time for this show in between filming like Ryan Reynolds or Catherine Zeta-Jones.  Or singers whose heyday has come and gone but still want to perform and have some fun like Bryan Adams, Rick Astley, Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins.

10 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

I saw a commercial - Robin Thicke asks the Bee if she has won any Grammy's and the Bee responded that she won 10.

If this is true then the Bee is Chaka Khan

Hmmm... I looked up on Wikipedia and Chaka Khan does have 10 Grammys to Gladys Knight's 7.  Some of the video package clues are obvious red herrings (like Simple Life and "that's hot" for Tori Spelling).  Are they allowed to lie or stretch the truth when asked questions?  Because none of the other clues fit Chaka Khan at all.  Multiple references to Georgia and peaches... Chaka is from Chicago.  Not known as "Empress".  Don't think she started performing until the 60s.

Just now, kassandra8286 said:

Brilliant! I just checked and Gladys Knight and the Pips have won 3, Gladys Knight herself has won 7. So there we go. 🙂

I think I may have interpreted her Grammy results incorrectly as the 7 listed above did include the Pips.

I guess I'm the only one to crawl across the fire for you who hinks Ken is far more annoying than fun.

3 hours ago, mertensia said:

It seems to me I heard somewhere-maybe the Top Secret directors' commentary?- that some serious actor was thrilled to be in the silly movie and jumped at the chance to do it because no one had ever asked them before. Maybe Gladys is like that.

Maybe Leslie Nielson, Robert Stack or Peter Graves said it about Airplane, which was the start of Nielson's comic roles.

32 minutes ago, blackwing said:

like Adams, Rick Astley, Tionne "T-Boz" Watkins.

OMG, we'll get Rick-Rolled!  LOL

• Love 3

Did anybody else notice that they didn’t change Peacock’s voice for one answer? I am now even more sure it is Donny Osmond. I also think it’s interesting that Robin Thicke recognizes everyone by body language and gestures. Maybe because it’s something I don’t notice, but so far he has ID’d Deer by the way his shoulders shake when he laughs, Raven by her putting her hand over her heart and Bee by the way she holds her mike.

• Love 6

There are circumstances where someone can receive two grammy's for one win.   There could be something like that going on here.  So it's possible she has 7 wins, but 10 grammy's.  Who knows, maybe someone gave her three of theirs.  I think it could be a red herring.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

I saw a commercial - Robin Thicke asks the Bee if she has won any Grammy's and the Bee responded that she won 10.

If this is true then the Bee is Chaka Khan

I don’t trust promo so I think it’s just misleading editing. You don’t see Robin and the bee at the same time so he could be asked another singer the Grammy question. 

So happy to find this forum. I love this show. Heres my guesses....

Peacock...since day 1 I’ve said Donny Osmond

Bee...since day 1 I’ve said the fabulous Gladys Knight

Alien..since day 1 I’ve said LaToya Jackson

Rabbit...since day 1 I’ve said Justin Timberlake

Monster...I dont have a clue

Lion...i forgot who I picked..unfortunately Im not home to see my notes. 

Time will tell if Im right

9 hours ago, Happy Belly said:

Rabbit...since day 1 I’ve said Justin Timberlake

That's my thought too, especially when the panel said they noted a bit of a southern accent. Plus I can see Justin overplaying the 'twitch'...almost as much as Joey.

• Love 1

The bee is not Chaka Khan, IMO. In the Bee's first appearance (I think), she was asked what decade she started performing, and the Bee's reply was the fifties, which matches Gladys' bio.  Chaka was born in 1953 and her career didn't really start until late 60s/early 70s.

Edited by Zanzibar
7 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Have any of the judges guessed Rumer Willis for the lion yet? I honestly haven't paid much attention to her performances. I've mostly had to rush-watch the shows in the morning before work. 

I think one of them (probably Robin or Joel) did, fairly early on.

On 2/9/2019 at 6:36 PM, KungFuBunny said:

Lion: I think it's Mary J Blige.

The Rabbit - Nick LeShay

The Monster - for some reason I think it's Bobby Brown

The Bee - Patti LaBelle

I was just telling my husband it could be Bobby Brown. lol  I was thinking for some reason the alien could be Paris Jackson, but I don't think it could be now. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, kelslamu said:

I was just telling my husband it could be Bobby Brown. lol  I was thinking for some reason the alien could be Paris Jackson, but I don't think it could be now. 

First thought for the Monster was that he was a rapper not so much a singer and I thought Flava Flav - Hah! But the Monster can carry a tune,

Bobby Brown before he messed up his voice with the partying could sing. He has been out of the spotlight for sometime.

The Alien - first I thought Courtney Kardashian or one of the younger Jenner sisters. Now I can see her being Rumer Willis - same body type/after surgery - similar to when she was on DWTS

I still think it's Mary J Blige for the Lion - one of the clues was "Pride" as well as Hollywood royalty - she was nominated for Mudbloods.

As misleading promos - if the Bee answered that she won 10 Grammy's - then it's Chaka Khan - there are 4 female artists who won 10 Grammy's: Bonnie Raitte, Taylor Swift, Chaka Khan, and Linda Rondsadt

For  next season they should purposely say that some of the clues are not necessarily real clues and could be red herrings.  Would make the show that much better if we think we have narrowed it down to a few people and then there actually would be surprise when the mask comes off.

Mary J Blige would be a fantastic person to get to appear on Season 2.  Other A-list actors that I thought of could be Tom Hiddleston, Eddie Redmayne, and Michelle Pfeiffer.  I think it would be awesome for Michelle Pfeiffer to sing "Uptown Funk".

• Love 1