Type keyword(s) to search

The Masked Singer

• Start Topic

There is no doubt in my mind that the Peacock is Donny Osmond. I’ve loved him for more than 45 years and I’d know that voice anywhere. The first clue package made me think it could be Donny but when he sang, all guessing was over for me.

And as far as body doubles in the costumes go, again watching Donny, I don’t think so. The Peacock performances are pure Donny Osmond moves.

Donny is the only definite I have, I’m in line with some of the other guesses here, like Rumer Willis, Ricki Lake, and Gladys Knight. It’s fun to watch and guess! Now if they could just get rid of Jenny McCarthy...

• Love 12
15 hours ago, Zanzibar said:

You must be quite tall yourself.  I am 5'9" like Donny, and I don't consider myself anything close to short.   I've also seen Donny and Marie's shows in Vegas several times, and they put on an amazing show.  They are very giving of their time during the meet and greets, too, and are very easy to talk to. My daughter and I have also attended two of Donny's fan get-togethers in Vegas (which I don't think he does anymore) and had an amazing time.  Donny was our tour guide to Hoover Dam, and he sat on our laps on the bus trip back to Vegas from the dam.  He is very down-to-earth, funny, and appreciative of his fans.  His entire family (wife and children, as well as Marie) participated in those fan weekends.  My daughter and I feel like we've seen Donny do the dance move that Peacock did after he came down the steps from the lift during "Counting Stars."  Peacock also covers nearly the entire stage when he performs, something that Donny does as well when he sings in Vegas.

Wasn't it a great experience? I mentioned that I'm from Hawaii, Marie started talking about when her dad was there way back when. They really made everyone feel welcome. I only wish we had more time to chat, but then again, so did everyone else! I guess what I meant was that I thought he'd be taller than 5'9". Marie is sooooo tiny. I felt like a house next to her. LOL! I just looooove me some Osmond. Any and all of them.

• Love 1

Looks like some Donny Osmond fans on this board.  I am not, though if thats him in the Peacock suit I sure will be.  

Another story: my sister has a good friend who worked in the entertainment field for years  - he met many a celeb.  He was on a game show where Donny was his celeb partner.  He told my sister that Donny was one of the nicest people he had ever met, celeb or non celeb.  And Donny seems to have a sense of humor about himself.  Back in the early 80s he was a guest in a music video where he was auditioning for a job as a lead singer in a band.  I'm not sure any more but I think it was a Jeff Beck video.  It made me smile back then.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

And Donny seems to have a sense of humor about himself.  Back in the early 80s he was a guest in a music video where he was auditioning for a job as a lead singer in a band.  I'm not sure any more but I think it was a Jeff Beck video.  It made me smile back then.

He's also absolutely hysterical in Weird Al's video White & Nerdy.

• Love 8

Ok, Im becoming obsessed with this show (yeah, I need a life).  Todays NY Daily News had an article taken from Variety about the designer of the "disguises" worn on the show.  An interesting note is that they did some gender-bending with the disguises.  Just because an outfit looks female or male doesnt mean a person of that sex is in it.  Hmmm, is that sexy Alien really a "she"?

• Love 2

I am completely hooked on this show. I basically had no idea who anybody was but I pretty much agree with the internet. I was sure about Tori Spelling until this week’s clues. I also agree that everybody will be guessed in another week or two.

• Love 1
On 1/18/2019 at 5:12 PM, VartanFan said:

totally didn't know any WIllis could sing.  That's why I thought the Lion was NOT a Willis.  If so, it all fits!

Rumor has appeared and sung on Empire where the lead characters are the Lyons (which fits several clues).

On 1/19/2019 at 9:05 AM, 2Old2BAFangirl said:

There is no doubt in my mind that the Peacock is Donny Osmond. I’ve loved him for more than 45 years and I’d know that voice anywhere. The first clue package made me think it could be Donny but when he sang, all guessing was over for me.

And as far as body doubles in the costumes go, again watching Donny, I don’t think so. The Peacock performances are pure Donny Osmond moves.

Donny is the only definite I have, I’m in line with some of the other guesses here, like Rumer Willis, Ricki Lake, and Gladys Knight. It’s fun to watch and guess! Now if they could just get rid of Jenny McCarthy...

The first week's clue had me wondering if it was him. He he said something about his poster being on your mother's wall. I'm that mother who had it on my wall in the 70s.

• Love 1

I just caught some of the repeat of the last episode, with Joel McHale. Y'all have been explaining why it's Rumor (or Scout) Willis, and sure enough, Joel sees the lion's intro package, with Hailey prominently displayed, and immediately guesses "Hailey, Idaho?" 

I guess he didn't get the judges' memo "pretend you have no idea who it could be".

However, I think what's-his-name tried to salvage the faux pas by quicky replying "Haley's comet?"

10 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Ok, Im becoming obsessed with this show (yeah, I need a life).  Todays NY Daily News had an article taken from Variety about the designer of the "disguises" worn on the show.  An interesting note is that they did some gender-bending with the disguises.  Just because an outfit looks female or male doesnt mean a person of that sex is in it.  Hmmm, is that sexy Alien really a "she"?

I suppose if anything, the Raven could be a gender bender costume.  It looks like something a man would wear.  Ravens aren’t something that is generally thought of as particularly feminine, unlike, say, a unicorn.  The person is stocky with thick legs and Ken actually thought it was a man.  However, you would think that ends the moment she starts singing.  

The Alien clearly sounds like a woman.  I’m guessing she loses this week so we can confirm if it’s LaToya or a Braxton.  I see that Tamar Braxton is on Celebrity Big Brother so maybe she did this one as well?   Although the “control” clue still has me saying LaToya.

Caught up to the latest episode, and I think I have The Monster pegged. 

His latest clue about having your "Head In The Game" happens to be the name of one of the bigger songs in High School Musical.

It's Corbin Bleu.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

I see that Tamar Braxton is on Celebrity Big Brother so maybe she did this one as well?   Although the “control” clue still has me saying LaToya.

According to Tamar, her ex (Vincent Herbert) was also very controlling, so it could be either one.

12 hours ago, blackwing said:

The Alien clearly sounds like a woman.  I’m guessing she loses this week so we can confirm if it’s LaToya or a Braxton.  I see that Tamar Braxton is on Celebrity Big Brother so maybe she did this one as well?   Although the “control” clue still has me saying LaToya.

LaToya was on The Match Game this week, so sje's not above being on silly game shows.

• Love 1

The problem with this show is that if the celebrity is famous for singing (as opposed to being an athlete or actor), we know their voice. The Bee is Gladys Knight, there is no question about that. I mean, she is a legend and her voice is iconic, recognizable and unique. Surely, the judges are not that clueless. It drives me crazy for them to sit there and pretend they have no idea who it is. Just like with Donny Osmond. The fact that they haven’t even mentioned him as a possibility is ridiculous and shows how useless the judging segments are. As professional musicians (especially being over 40), Robin Thicke and Nicole Scherzinger should be ashamed if they don’t recognize Gladys Knight’s voice  I actually don’t think they’re really that clueless, so that makes the dumb bimbo act all the more annoying  

The Monster and Lion can really sing. Again, if they were famous for singing, we would recognize their voices. If The Monster is T-Pain, that makes sense because most of the world knows his singing through auto-tune; most haven’t heard him sing like this. Lion is Rumor Willis. Here’s a video of her singing (it’s the last few minutes). It’s the same voice.  

The Rabbit is not JC. His voice is very distinctive and IMO, he’s the best boyband singer ever. The Rabbit is definitely someone whose voice we don’t know very well, so someone who didn’t have solos. 

The other one I’m sure of is Unicorn-Tori Spelling.  You have to listen to the inflection and cadence of their speaking voice in the interviews. That little giggle is totally Tori Spelling. The same with Donny-the speaking style very much sounds like him. The only thing about Tori that gave me doubts was she was in a Christmas TV movie a few years ago and she sounded really great! I think I recall an interview at the time and she said it was really her singing but a lot of auto tune. However, I am sure The Unicorn is auto-tuned too (the notes are all on key, the voice tone is just horrible) and she sounds totally different from the song I linked above. I’ve come to the conclusion she was just lip syncing in the movie.

I do think the show is enjoyable, but damn the judging panel is just about ruining it for me. “Lady Gaga?” “Justin Bieber”? It’s just ridiculous. Guessing Cris Angel for Donny Osmond...it’s so annoying. 

Edited by Tararayne
  • Love 5

The singing voices aren’t altered, which was my point. Actually, I do think a lot of them are auto-tuned to keep on-key, but not altered in a way that we won’t recognize them. The speaking voices are definitely altered to be unrecognizable, but you can hear inflections, cadence, accents, etc. At first I though the Lion could possibly be Kelly Rowland, but she speaks with a Texas accent, and the Lion has no accent while speaking. 

• Love 1

I agree that I think the judges must have some idea of who it is.  Especially when Gladys/Bee was singing, Robin said "I know that voice".  And there were two clips of Nicole where it looked like she had a glimmer of recognition or was trying to figure it out.  With the Deer I don't think any of them said Terry Bradshaw the first week and then all of a sudden when it came time to make the final guess so many of them got him.

For the Alien I don't think anyone said LaToya or a Braxton and I bet this week it will be 50/50 just before she is revealed.

New clues out for this weeks singers:

Poodle:  Brings the Lolz

Alien:  May have psychic abilities

Rabbit:  Knows how to spell O-R-A-N-G-E

Bee:  Uses her Buddah to get zen

Raven:  Definitely has a strong point of view.

19 hours ago, Tararayne said:

The problem with this show is that if the celebrity is famous for singing (as opposed to being an athlete or actor), we know their voice.

Well, something that has been mentioned upthread is what is the age of the intended audience and are they familiar with all the singers?  Donny Osmond and I are the same age (61).  I remember when he started out with a higher pitched voice.  I was done listening to AM radio top 40 by the time I was 14, and other than seeing him on TV in the mid to late 70s, I wasn't a fan.  I haven't heard him sing since maybe the early 80s, and I'm somebody who at least has a clue of who he is.  My 38 and 40 year old DIL have no clue who he is or what he sounds like. And neither one of them knows what Gladys Knight sounds like either (and GK is a person who was well known when I was a little kid).   On the other end of the spectrum, somebody up thread guessed the Rabbit as Corbin Bleu and all I can say is who the hell is Corbin Bleu - as I've never even heard of the person let alone hear him sing.                                                                                     Back in the day when there were only 3 networks and lots of tv variety shows and everybody in the family watched the same shows, people of different generations would have somewhat of a clue who a singer was.  I knew who Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra were and my parents knew who the Rolling Stones, and Janis Joplin were.  Today, unless you're talking about big stars like Katy Perry or Lady Gaga, you don't really have that generational interplay with new music.   Maybe part of the fun of this show is that people of different ages can watch it and have fun with the guessing  - it probably helps if you watch alot of Entertainment Tonight types of shows or read about what famous Hollywood star's daughter has decided to launch a new career fronting a band.   "shrugs" - All I know is that I am Team Peacock and if he is who we think he is, maybe it will put him back on the map of popular singers.  

1 hour ago, chi-girl said:

Alien: May have psychic abilities - LaToya Jackson was a spokesperson for psychic friends network. 

Bee: Uses her Buddah to get zen - Buddah records was one of Gladys Knight’s record labels. 

4 hours ago, chi-girl said:

N’sync was founded in Orange County. The way that orange is written could be a reference to the Mickey Mouse Club which would suggest Justin (no way) or J.C. 

ETA: JC was also a mentor on the recent reboot of the Mickey Mouse Club. 

Edited by Guest
3 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I still think they are also altered when they sing.  I've listened to Donny Osmond and Joey Fatone for years and couldnt tell the singing voice was theirs. 

I don't know about altered, but I wouldn't be surprised if the singers themselves alter their voices a tad.  When the Peacock gets to the lower notes, it's usually much lower than Donny Osmond typically sings. I didn't recognize Donny at first because of that.  But on the higher notes, and when he holds notes or ends phrases, it definitely sounds like Donny to me.

• Love 1

Has anyone thought that perhaps the singers prerecorded their  songs and they have been doctored to make them sound a certain way?  With the masks, we would never know if they are lip synching.

43 minutes ago, Zanzibar said:

I don't know about altered, but I wouldn't be surprised if the singers themselves alter their voices a tad.

See post above.

• Love 1

I just googled JC Chavez' height and Joey Fatone's height.  They're both 5'11" as is the rabbit.  That didn't help at all. 

As a side note, I found that if I close my eyes and just listen to the songs, it's easier to tell who it is.  I have no idea why.  But when I did that with Donny Osmond, it really stood out that it was him.

40 minutes ago, chi-girl said:

As a side note, I found that if I close my eyes and just listen to the songs, it's easier to tell who it is.  I have no idea why.  But when I did that with Donny Osmond, it really stood out that it was him.

For me, too, Gladys Knight as The Bee is obvious if you close your eyes and listen.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Has anyone thought that perhaps the singers prerecorded their  songs and they have been doctored to make them sound a certain way?  With the masks, we would never know if they are lip synching.

For most of them, yes, we wouldn’t be able to tell.  But some of them have masks that don’t fully cover their lower face and you can definitely see the mouth moving.  I guess it could still be lip synched even though we see mouths moving but I’d be disappointed.  

• Love 1

Here’s Donny singing in Mulan, I think this is a good example of his singing style on the show, kind of theatrical and pop at the same time. 

I’ve also wondered if they are singing live, because I could hear auto tune (especially on the non-singers). However auto tune can be used live, and I’m pretty sure I hear some of the real performers like Donny catching their breath sometimes. 

Edited by Tararayne
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Well, something that has been mentioned upthread is what is the age of the intended audience and are they familiar with all the singers?  Donny Osmond and I are the same age (61).  I remember when he started out with a higher pitched voice.  I was done listening to AM radio top 40 by the time I was 14, and other than seeing him on TV in the mid to late 70s, I wasn't a fan.  I haven't heard him sing since maybe the early 80s, and I'm somebody who at least has a clue of who he is.  My 38 and 40 year old DIL have no clue who he is or what he sounds like. And neither one of them knows what Gladys Knight sounds like either (and GK is a person who was well known when I was a little kid).   On the other end of the spectrum, somebody up thread guessed the Rabbit as Corbin Bleu and all I can say is who the hell is Corbin Bleu - as I've never even heard of the person let alone hear him sing.                                                                                     Back in the day when there were only 3 networks and lots of tv variety shows and everybody in the family watched the same shows, people of different generations would have somewhat of a clue who a singer was.  I knew who Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra were and my parents knew who the Rolling Stones, and Janis Joplin were.  Today, unless you're talking about big stars like Katy Perry or Lady Gaga, you don't really have that generational interplay with new music.   Maybe part of the fun of this show is that people of different ages can watch it and have fun with the guessing  - it probably helps if you watch alot of Entertainment Tonight types of shows or read about what famous Hollywood star's daughter has decided to launch a new career fronting a band.   "shrugs" - All I know is that I am Team Peacock and if he is who we think he is, maybe it will put him back on the map of popular singers.  

Sure, different generations are going to have different pop culture references, but I guess I’ve never understood this idea of people being totally clueless to music/film/tv if it was before or after their time. I’m 38. Donny and Marie were big before I was born. I only know of Donny’s work peripherally. I may not have followed his career, but I know who he is. I may not have remembered exactly what his singing sounded like, but a quick listen of his Mulan song confirms it’s him for me.  Gladys Knight was before my time, but I mean really, do people really not know “Midnight Train To Georgia”? I admit, I’m a music lover so it may be more obvious to me than others. 

I just don’t buy the judges are that dumb. I could kind of buy that maybe they’re not positive if it’s Donny and Gladys, but to not even mention them as an option is a joke. 

I also think maybe they gave away too many clues too early. Donny’s clues-singing at five years old, your mom had posters of me, Vegas. I mean, who else could it be?? Especially after seeing him perform. I think this could have possibly been more fun and not as obvious if they had not given so many giveaway clues. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Tararayne said:

Here’s Donny singing in Mulan, I think this is a good example of his singing style on the show, kind of theatrical and pop at the same time. 

Thank you for posting that Mulan clip. I knew it was Donny as soon as he starting singing put I could not place why until now. 

33 minutes ago, Tararayne said:

I just don’t buy the judges are that dumb. I could kind of buy that maybe they’re not positive if it’s Donny and Gladys, but to not even mention them as an option is a joke. 

I agree. The fact that the obvious names haven’t come up makes me want to eliminate anyone the judges have named. I wonder if the judges were told not to name the obvious possibilities or if those suggestions are being edited out. 

To be clear, I totally think the Peacock is Donny and the Rabbit it Joey.   I didnt even need to hear Donny sing, the clues were all there. And kind of easy ! lol But, as I mentioned before, they are doing something a little different to the voices. JMO

But some of you mentioned interesting things in your above post that they might have done. Auto tune even if the singers didnt need it or 

Good answer.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Zanzibar said:

When the Peacock gets to the lower notes, it's usually much lower than Donny Osmond typically sings. I didn't recognize Donny at first because of that.  But on the higher notes, and when he holds notes or ends phrases, it definitely sounds like Donny to me.

I just listened to the Peacock doing Counting Stars. I had previously  just been listening the Greatest Show over a few times.  Wow,,,on Counting Stars you can certainly tell its Donny if you know his voice. But, in his case, I think he is changing it a bit. As you mentioned,,,he  hits some very low notes that are unusual for him and he adds a bit of a different accent. But it's Donny !!!

So, maybe the actual singers are asked to change it up a bit.

• Love 1
On 1/14/2019 at 6:47 PM, Catgyrl said:

My guesses:

Peacock - Donny Osmond

Monster - T-Pain. (Look up him singing on YouTube. Dude can sing, and sounds just like this!)

Rabbit - JC Chasez (NSync). He released an album called "Schizophrenic" and wore a straitjacket. Tons of references to the band, AND not fat enough to be Joey Fatone. (LOL!) Joey also just did an interview saying he wasn't the Rabbit.

Raven - Ricki Lake. Her ex-husband committed suicide recently. All other clues point to her.

Unicorn - Tori Spelling

Lion - Rumer Willis

Bee - Gladys Knight (nickname is "Empress of Soul")

Poodle - Margaret Cho

Alien - LaToya Jackson (?); not too sure of that, though.

Can't remember who else was there. Oh, but I did get Tommy Chong right away. I must have been having an "intelligent" night.

**Notice I'm not touching anyone that could possibly be an athlete, because I have no clue about those guys.

Yeah, but he didn't host a talk show, or have the other Ricki Lake references.

I also think it's Ricki Lake but Ross did host a Big Brother "talk" show.

On 1/22/2019 at 10:51 AM, chi-girl said:

I have absolutely no idea who anybody is, & I haven't even been guessing, but Rabbit:  Knows how to spell O-R-A-N-G-E has me wondering if it's someone from "Orange Is The New Black". I know people think it's someone from a boy band, but I'm thinking Laverne Cox. She's tall enough, & would know how to move like a guy to throw people off.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:47 PM, Catgyrl said:

My guesses:

Peacock - Donny Osmond

Monster - T-Pain. (Look up him singing on YouTube. Dude can sing, and sounds just like this!)

Rabbit - JC Chasez (NSync). He released an album called "Schizophrenic" and wore a straitjacket. Tons of references to the band, AND not fat enough to be Joey Fatone. (LOL!) Joey also just did an interview saying he wasn't the Rabbit.

Raven - Ricki Lake. Her ex-husband committed suicide recently. All other clues point to her.

Unicorn - Tori Spelling

Lion - Rumer Willis

Bee - Gladys Knight (nickname is "Empress of Soul")

Poodle - Margaret Cho

Alien - LaToya Jackson (?); not too sure of that, though.

Can't remember who else was there. Oh, but I did get Tommy Chong right away. I must have been having an "intelligent" night.

**Notice I'm not touching anyone that could possibly be an athlete, because I have no clue about those guys.

Yeah, but he didn't host a talk show, or have the other Ricki Lake references.

I'm down with all of these guesses!  I called Ricki Lake and Gladys Knight the first time I saw the the clue package and heard them sing.  I think Gladys was even holding back on her voice so she wouldn't be a dead giveaway.

When I first saw the Peacock, I thought it was Corey Feldman.  But after last week, I think it's Donny.

• Love 1

I have been a Donny fan since I was 10. The clues are killing me cause they are straight out of Osmondland,  but that first week we heard "him" sing, no way is that Donny. He has a certain tone to his voice which the Peacock doesn't. I read above that they may alter their voice a bit. I'm so confused.  I also think that the Rabbit clues may be a little misleading. If you close  your eyes, and if you know his voice, I swear that's Joe McIntyre.   

• Love 1

I'm starting to plan for (based on ratings) what will happen next year.  Who's your dream cast?  I would divide it into "famous for singing", "not famous for singing", and "some of both."  Time and budget are no object here.

Famous for singing:  Kelly Clarkson, just because she jump-started American Idol and has a lot of range of song choices.

Weird Al--same range of vocals. 

Not famous for singing:  Michelle Obama, just because she might actually do it.

Wil Wheaton, because he might slip out a "good night, nerds" and it would be funny if the judges don't get it.

Some of both:

Marisa Benoit:  Because other than the occasional music scene in Supergirl or the Flash, she doesn't get to sing much.

Amber Benson:  great in singing on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and also narrated "Lock In" (as did Wil Wheaton). 

Shatner.  Because, Shatner.

Patrick Stewart, for the Kirk vs. Picard and because he'd do it well, and because it'd be fun for him to be The Knight.

• Love 3

OMG.  Thank you to whomever mentioned Weird Al and "White and Nerdy."  I have just returned from YouTube, and I still have tears in my eyes.  Donny Osmond was indeed hilarious.  He's not afraid to make fun of himself. 

(Did anyone else catch the quick flash of a Seth Green from BtVS cameo in front of the wall of action figures?  Weird Al goes all out to get talent for his vid...)

• Love 4

Congrats to everyone who guessed the Poodle was Margaret Cho. I wanted to see who the Alien was more, though.

I'm torn between Gladys Knight and Mary Wilson for the Bee.

Go Ricki, Go Ricki! It's Ricki Lake, dammit!

• Love 9

My guess for the rabbit is Jordan Knight.  Original clues pointed me towards someone from NSYNC, but the voices don't align for me.

And can pop culture expert Jenny McCarthy Wahlberg please go away already?

• Love 5

Gladys Knight rules.   Just give her the win right now.

Disappointed that the Poodle went out this week, but her vocals really weren’t as good as last time.  I do like Margaret Cho and I find it odd that Ken wouldn’t have recognized her. Pleased that the Alien survived though.  

My least favorite of this group is the Raven.  I just don’t enjoy her singing or her performance.  Don’t know much about Ricki Lake or her backstory but I do think it a bit odd that in the post MeToo era where women are supposed to be strong and independent and make their own choices, she kept talking about how she needed a MAN who came and took her away.

Is this the same man who committed suicide?  And why was he her ex-husband if he meant so much to her that she is still grieving this loss from several years ago?

The Rabbit sounds more like JC Chavez and not Joey Fatone.  But for some reason the clues made it sound like he’s never been on his own or had the spotlight.  Didn’t Chavez have a solo career?  It failed but I thought he tried.  I vaguely recall that he was supposed to be the headline singer at some sports event but then got fired after Justin exposed Janet’s nipple and they were afraid he’d do the same thing.  He was bitter about it because I think it was supposed to be his big break as a solo artist and then it never happened.  

The twitching and the hamming seems more like something Joey Fatone would do.

Next week I presume the other four sing.  And of Peacock, Unicorn, Lion and Monster... I would think Unicorn is a clear goner, right?

• Love 3

I'm just happy Joel McHale was back! Alien can't be Paris Hilton, she only has one sister. LaToya Jackson (toys clue?) has two, and there were four others behind her in an early video. I don't know where cobras and levitation fit in.

• Love 4