Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Food Truck Race - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The teams that oversold and had wait times actually had an advantage in that when Tyler tells the trucks to close down, he always tells them to fulfill all orders they have already taken.  So, the trucks that sell early (before their food is ready) and have up to an hour wait times were actually able to sell more orders than the trucks that waited until their food prep was finished before taking orders.

I don't know about anyone else, but if a food truck (or even some restaurants) made me wait 45-60 minutes for a sandwich, burger, mac 'n cheese, I would ask for my money back as I just don't have that kind of patience (fine dining is a totally different matter [especially when having cocktails and/or wine]).  I think it's wrong that they start selling before their prep is done.  And I think it's really wrong that Sugar (who I don't ever recall seeing preparing any of the food) starts selling before the agreed upon wait time with the rest of her team (although she agreed to wait 20 minutes on the final day of selling, it was obvious by her team's reaction that she started selling before the 20 minutes).

I think Eso will enhance their reputation and business through their appearance on the show and hopefully that will make up for most likely not winning the season.

• Like 3
  • Applause 5
  • Love 10

Hopefully they recognize this "Preselling" tactic and nip it in the bud in future races. It would be as simple as the cut off being "Stop taking orders, you have 15 minutes to complete what you have on the board, and refund anything that is incomplete."

• Like 8
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, Taeolas said:

Hopefully they recognize this "Preselling" tactic and nip it in the bud in future races. It would be as simple as the cut off being "Stop taking orders, you have 15 minutes to complete what you have on the board, and refund anything that is incomplete."

Yeah, I get that it's allowed, but the whole "Preselling" seems awful deceptive if you ask me.  Mac n Cheese and Senoreatas KNOW when they start selling that they won't have anything ready to serve for at least 45-50 minutes, but fail to pass that information on to the customers.  It would be one thing to unknowingly fall behind, but this is a deliberate strategy on their part.  They just tell the customers, "oh the wait might be a bit" knowing full well "a bit" is 45 minutes.  They need to lead with that and not hold people's money hostage out of fear they might leave.  I guess the customers could always ask for a refund if they didn't want to wait, but the entire strategy is shady as hell.  Plus, it puts all that pressure on the people cooking the food.  I felt so bad when Sugar kept handing Keith and Mahogany list after list of orders and they both KNEW they were just falling further and further behind.  

Oh well.  I was rooting for Amaweles.  ESO was my 2nd choice, so I hope they win.  

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 9

Actually, last night he said "finish any orders you've started".  That might have been a slip of the tongue but I think it was meant as said.   Otherwise they would have been there another 1-2 hours which likely would have interfered with production. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think that Senoreatas has a better social media game than the others. They always talk about putting things out there. ESO wants and most of the others seem to be more about letting the food speak for itself.  I think they need to up their SM game.  Did not like the walking around with the unbuttoned tops when everyone else managed to keep their clothes on.

Plantains (green and ripe) is not just a Latin American thing. Very popular in a lot of African countries and in the English speaking Caribbean. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I wish the show would have a designated prep time that all teams have available during which they can’t sell. It’s completely fabricated drama for this show and not representative of how a truck would be run in the real world. (Of course, nothing about this show is very realistic!)

I don’t think I’ve had Cuban food, but Senoreata’s food seems really bland. It seems like they use the plant-based aspect as a marketing ploy but don’t develop the flavors they claim. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

I didn't care for the bickering Amaweles twins but their food always seemed good so I was surprised they went home instead of Maybe Cheese.  A BLT with gloppy macaroni and cheese on it looks gross to me so I'm having a hard time believing that was the most popular dish.  

I've thought all along that the Senoreatas made a bad decision when they decided on jump suits as the team uniform for a beach season and I'm sure they were too hot but I didn't like them walking around in their underwear.

When the temperature is in the 100 degree range around here, I do the sensible thing and stay home in the a/c.  I wonder if FN had to pay a lot of people to be the crowd for that episode.  Working in those trucks had to be beyond miserable not to mention a health risk.

I'm still hoping ESO can somehow win.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8

Is the Food Network trying to kill their contestants? 
We had Alaska where they nearly froze to death, did one actually get frost bite?

And now we have people passing out from the heat. 

And speaking of heat there is no way I would wait 50 minutes in the heat for food from a food truck.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

Ya gotta wonder if the teams told the customers it'll be 45+ minutes, or just said they'll be a wait. As a customer, no way I'm waiting that long - a food truck I'll give maybe 15 minutes if they are busy. Beyond that, forget it. Heck I get antsy waiting more than half an hour in a real restaurant, and if i have to wait that long, I expect a side or dessert or drink comped for the trouble. (I'm not an ass to the wait staff as I know it's not them its always the kitchen, I'm polite but explain my time is worth something so I expect some kind of compensation. I do still tip, I know wait staff mostly lives off those.) 

I like it when GFTR goes to cities we're not all familiar with - I like seeing the different cultures and heck just seeing the different architecture is interesting. What are some places you'd like to see them go?  Durango CO would be interesting - not a huge town but a great tourist attraction. Heck if you wanna stay west coast, go up to Oregon and Washington state, see what they are like. I'm tired of the beach stuff personally.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Colorado David said:

Ya gotta wonder if the teams told the customers it'll be 45+ minutes, or just said they'll be a wait. As a customer, no way I'm waiting that long - a food truck I'll give maybe 15 minutes if they are busy. Beyond that, forget it. Heck I get antsy waiting more than half an hour in a real restaurant, and if i have to wait that long, I expect a side or dessert or drink comped for the trouble. (I'm not an ass to the wait staff as I know it's not them its always the kitchen, I'm polite but explain my time is worth something so I expect some kind of compensation. I do still tip, I know wait staff mostly lives off those.) 

We saw Sugar saying "it'll be a bit of a wait" or something to that effect.  Never was 45 minutes mentioned.  For Señoreata I don't think we ever heard them tell the customers anything but one customer mentioned that on Señoreata Instagram they said they'd be turning out food fast.  Guess fast is relative...  I do wonder why no one seems to ask for their money back.  Especially the one customer who said she went to ESO and got from from them twice while still waiting for Señoreata to complete her order.

The other thing I didn't like was Tyler mentioned something specifically to Señoreata about their ticket time but nothing was said to MacNCheese who's seemed to be even longer.  I don't understand how they keep getting away with things - other than the fix is in.

Lastly, all the food from MacNCheese looks horrible!  There's no way they'd be able to survive as a real food truck being in the same city dealing with negative reviews and trying to get repeat customers.  

Not sure why I started watching this show again after many years of not other than I saw the Señoreata truck when I was out for a walk in Playa del Rey not Manhattan Beach (they weren't yet selling (think they said they would be soon) but there were camera people outside) so that made me think "that show is still around? wonder how it is now" - now I know. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, I Want My MBTV said:

We saw Sugar saying "it'll be a bit of a wait" or something to that effect.  Never was 45 minutes mentioned.  For Señoreata I don't think we ever heard them tell the customers anything but one customer mentioned that on Señoreata Instagram they said they'd be turning out food fast.  Guess fast is relative...  I do wonder why no one seems to ask for their money back.  Especially the one customer who said she went to ESO and got from from them twice while still waiting for Señoreata to complete her order.

The other thing I didn't like was Tyler mentioned something specifically to Señoreata about their ticket time but nothing was said to MacNCheese who's seemed to be even longer.  I don't understand how they keep getting away with things - other than the fix is in.

The petty part of me wonders how the trucks and/or FN would handle it if enough customers did ask for their money back. Just one or two FN would be able to edit out no problem, but the entire line at MCBWI? That is something I'd want to see and how the show would address it. 

There's no way I'd be standing out in that weather for almost an hour for $20 mac and cheese. The Texas weather these days is bad enough for me ;)

• Like 1
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

The petty part of me wonders how the trucks and/or FN would handle it if enough customers did ask for their money back.

Earlier in this thread, people would post links to FN open calls to wait in line for the food trucks on this show in past seasons. People who make the call in time are given money to use and are directed where and how long to stand and encouraged to try as many trucks as possible.

With this show, always assume the customers are fake.

I'm guessing the "mystery reviewers" were directed by producers on their reviews as well since the interviews were given in plain sight of the food trucks, sometimes with a contestant or two in the background shot.

There also seems to be a lot of creative editing this season. Others have pointed out there were inconsistencies with Food Flight's stories during one of the episodes and there were references to events we didn't see. 

I've noticed a lot of Tyler's instructions explaining a challenge are voice overs and not his instructions actually given live to the contestants. Maybe we're getting the full story on challenges, maybe not.

At this point, this show is so fake that the only thing I'm hoping will happen is that ESO gets the win. They seem like decent people. Senoreatas have shown how terrible they are as people. Sugar has so much camera time I can't tell really anything about the other two in her truck except it's obvious the decent parts of the food are Mahogany's chicken recipe and cooking skills.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

Wow!  I always assumed the customers were wanting to be on camera and that's why they waited and paid  but I never thought they were actually given money to buy the food!  That really puts a whole new sour taste in my mouth.     I kind of wanted Amawales to win.   Not because I particularly liked them but because I thought their food always looked good and was interesting.   I've always liked ESO and think their food looks fantastic.   Sadly though I'm sure it'll be down to the two trucks with the most 'drama' and camera time.  Not ESO "well we got pork, we'll just do what we do and it'll be great".     

• Like 1
  • Love 13

With being in the desert and practically dropping from heat stroke, I was wondering: do they have multiple costumes/uniforms, or are they wearing the same clothes day after day?  I imagine the lycra shorts and nylon glittery shirts especially stinking at the end of the day.

I don't like Sugar. Her face is all over the truck, she talks about as if it's all about her, yet its the other two who are doing the actual cooking.  20 bucks for Mac & cheese?!  And taking 30+ orders while the water for the macaroni isn't even hot yet? That should not be allowed.  Their food is the least imaginative of any truck on any season.

Someone should have been proactive about preventing heatstroke. Giving them cold water or Gatorade, cool towels to wear around their necks. Don't wait until someone collapses!

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, I Want My MBTV said:

I've always liked ESO and think their food looks fantastic.   Sadly though I'm sure it'll be down to the two trucks with the most 'drama' and camera time.  Not ESO "well we got pork, we'll just do what we do and it'll be great".     

Was it just me or did Tyler look disappointed after his chat with ESO that they made do with the pork and weren't in the weeds and were doing business as usual?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I have never heard of them being used as a bread substitute in a sandwich and really wonder about the consistency, because they are not firm enough to hold ingredients inside.

I’ve had a taco in a Cuban restaurant that used fried plantains as the shell.  Delicious!

• Useful 2
(edited)
On 7/11/2022 at 11:04 AM, seacliffsal said:

I think Eso will enhance their reputation and business through their appearance on the show and hopefully that will make up for most likely not winning the season.

I think the best-case scenario for Eso would be that they can get investors to help them open an actual restaurant. Since fresh pasta takes a lot of time to make it never seemed to me that their concept was suited to a food truck, which is all about fast production. Eventually they had to abandon making their pasta from scratch and use pre-made, which to some extent lessened what made them unique. (I've eaten at a lot of food trucks, and can't really remember any that are focused on pasta).

I know people do food trucks because there's less expense and hassle than opening a brick-and-mortar restaurant. But as the Eso chef was very proud of his handmade pasta, a restaurant would be where he could really showcase his skills and not have to make any compromises. 

Edited by bluepiano
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11
18 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

20 bucks for Mac & cheese?!  And taking 30+ orders while the water for the macaroni isn't even hot yet? That should not be allowed.  Their food is the least imaginative of any truck on any season.

Someone should have been proactive about preventing heatstroke. Giving them cold water or Gatorade, cool towels to wear around their necks. Don't wait until someone collapses!

Prices on this show have always been higher than what you typically pay at a real food truck since the trucks are judged by total sales. And people seem to be willing to pay the inflated prices just to participate in the TV experience.

As for unimaginative food, they remind me of the waffle truck guys, who always made waffles and just changed up the toppings. But in the "real" food truck world, simple concepts and limited menus are often successful, because people like knowing exactly what they're getting.

I am sure that the production crew was standing by with water, cool towels etc. and helping out the teams when they were not on camera. Plus there is always a medic on site.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

As for ESO's Fresh pasta concept, it would probably be fine for a real food truck situation, where they have planned where they will be for a given day and can budget their time and menu appropriately. For the show with artificial limits on prep time and random locations, not to mention random twists, fresh on demand pasta is much harder to handle. 

• Like 6
  • Love 5

I was pretty shocked that Amawele's was eliminated. They always seemed to do well in the food challenges which I guess gave them enough extra in their till to keep them going for another week. However, with the dwindling numbers of teams, it became harder to compete. If the show is going to say teams are eliminated based on what they have in their till at the end of the selling challenges, I wish we could actually see them have to set a budget for food costs and then price accordingly and then see what profits they have at the end of the day. Maybe they actually do that, but they don't show it and so it looks like it's just based on revenue. I thought they did used to do that, but that seems to have gone by the wayside this season. I am glad ESO pasta truck made it through but I have a feeling they'll be next. 

As an alternative I'd prefer to see them base the winners and losers on units sold. That way we could see whose food was actually the best. Everything the Mac and Cheese truck makes looks disgusting to me but I could see a lot of people buying from them just because of Sugar, although her screeching is getting on my nerves. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, GiandujaPie said:

Sugar, although her screeching is getting on my nerves. 

Sugar got on mine long ago.  The screaming, the bragging, the costume, the make up............. There is nothing about that act that appeals to me.  Also, macaroni and cheese.  That would have sounded really good on the Alaska season but in the desert, not so much.  Not at all.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11

an interesting twist, tho a logistical nightmare - if a buyer tosses your dish rather than finishing, that gets deducted from your sales. that'd take care of the mac shenanigans.  

that and the whole concept - yes mac n cheese fine. i can see a line based on pasta but not solely mac n cheese, that is wayyyyyyyyy too narrow. but then again, bbq does that all the time, so who am i to say?

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Even on a micro level, Maybe Cheese and Senoreatas making customers wait 45+ minutes for food won't cut it in the real world. Don't a lot of people go to food trucks on their lunch break from work? Which is an hour at best? 

• Like 5
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Even on a micro level, Maybe Cheese and Senoreatas making customers wait 45+ minutes for food won't cut it in the real world. Don't a lot of people go to food trucks on their lunch break from work? Which is an hour at best? 

GREAT point. we feed based on convenience, so if a food truck is nearby, i'm so likely to hit it. BUT...reality is uber and doordash. i'm likely to hit those unless the food truck is killer.

i prefer hitting food trucks, as i'm the mentality support the locality food scene. BUT doordash is still local stuff, so there's that.

Edited by Colorado David
additional thoughts
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

I think the show has a serious problem when the team that wins the food quality challenge goes home the same week, despite having long lines, lots of sales, and no major fiascos except a contestant getting overheated. It's becoming screamingly obvious that actually making good food has nothing to do with doing well on the show.

I was pleased with how calmly Amawele's handled the medical issue on their truck. We didn't see any in-fighting, yelling, blaming. Instead, the one twin was just concerned for her twin's health and told her to drink water and rest.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
  • Love 12
On 7/10/2022 at 10:15 PM, Maya said:

That was giving me so much anxiety when they were still taking orders even though they had 45 minute wait times. The heat in those trucks looked so miserable. Could they at least give them fans?

That Mac and cheese on a bun looked so nasty. Hilarious that team is still there. 

I think the costumes are ridiculous and they all should dress for the weather and comfort   It would even the field if they all wore shorts and tees with aprons   Wonder how much sweat ends up as a secret ingredient?

On 7/10/2022 at 10:48 PM, Chellichik said:

There should be some kind of penalty for making people wait longer than 15 minutes for their food.  It’s asinine that those trucks can take orders and make people wait that long, but as long as they get the customers’ money, who cares about getting them food, right??

I'd be one who would ask for their money back.   There is a local microbrewery that has a different specialty food truck each weekend.  It gets busy but last time we were given pagers that vibrate when the order is ready.   Kept the area from getting congested.

• Love 4
On 7/12/2022 at 12:56 PM, GiandujaPie said:

As an alternative I'd prefer to see them base the winners and losers on units sold. That way we could see whose food was actually the best. Everything the Mac and Cheese truck makes looks disgusting to me but I could see a lot of people buying from them just because of Sugar, although her screeching is getting on my nerves. 

Basing it on units sold wouldn't prevent Maybe Cheese from winning because, as @xaxat correctly points out, their formula is a bait and switch game.  They sell and sell early, so even if their food is crap or their wait times are horrendous, they still have sold an inordinately high number of units compared to the other teams who wait to open up until they are further along in their prep.

Now, what might be interesting is if the show mixed up how the winner was eliminated every week.  One week, make it based on units sold, next week make it based on actual revenue, then another make it based on the taste challenge, etc.  There are plenty of ways to measure a food truck's success but just doing it strictly off of how much money they brought in on sales (without subtracting for cost of food or damaging the truck/other vehicles/Covid testing tents!) is only going to lead to the sort of shenanigans that have put Maybe Cheese in the lead more weeks than they've ever deserved (which would be NONE, lol).

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

I think that this show has been fortunate to even recruit some contestants that are about making good, delicious food.  There have consistently been trucks that have been about one fairly easy component (waffles-but at least they seemed to taste good, etc.) and some trucks in which the contestants were not that adept at good food, management, etc.  But after this season and the dominance of a truck with a bait-and-switch sales pitch, horrific food (until they were given a better recipe for their primary component), and one dish mentality, it may be difficult for them to recruit serious contestants in the future.  Why go to all of the work (and putting life on hold for a while) to participate when one may be out early due to the shenanigans of another truck?  

I know that in the current climate one should not say anything negative about drag queens, but I have an expectation that a drag queen who puts herself front and center trying to be entertaining should be...entertaining.  I don't find Sugar as funny or entertaining as she thinks she is (and I actually really enjoy drag performances and theatre [well, when it's entertaining...]) and that is yet another reason I really, really, really want them to leave (and have been wanting them to leave since the first couple of episodes).

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 19

Wow - these comments have been quite eye-opening.  I wondered why anyone would stand out in the heat of the desert for 45 minutes waiting for overpriced mac and cheese - now I know why.  Because it's not costing them anything out of their own pockets.

I have been rooting for ESO, who actually produce some good looking food that they are proud of and get the job done without drama.  If everything I'm reading above is true, they won't win precisely because they are NOT all about drama.   

I guess that's what I get for believing "reality" TV.  But I still hope they win. 

• Like 2
  • Love 9
On 7/12/2022 at 2:29 PM, Colorado David said:

that and the whole concept - yes mac n cheese fine. i can see a line based on pasta but not solely mac n cheese, that is wayyyyyyyyy too narrow. but then again, bbq does that all the time, so who am i to say?

There's a restaurant in San Francisco, Homeroom, that sells nothing but mac&cheese - very popular too.

It's surprising after all these seasons, that someone's come up with a new way to game the show.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

But after this season and the dominance of a truck with a bait-and-switch sales pitch, horrific food (until they were given a better recipe for their primary component), and one dish mentality, it may be difficult for them to recruit serious contestants in the future.

I don’t know if I’d call MCBWI’s performance dominance- they were on top week 1 (when they were rightfully criticized for their terrible product), and then this past week.  Week 2-5 they were either 3rd or 4th.  Senoreata also has 2 wins, and has never been worse than 3rd.  ESO is the only team left without a win, but depending on how generous the challenge prizes are for this week and the finale, their superior quality could help them sneak out a win.  I still feel like this is anyone’s game - personally, I’d like eso to win because their food appeals to me most, but I don’t think I’d be upset with Senoreatas either.  MCBWI would be a let down because I don’t think they’re particularly serious about wanting to run a food business- but it’s also not going to ruin the show for me if they win.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I have been rooting for ESO since the first episode.  I love that there's no drama and that they are cool calm and collected.  Each week I hold my breath thinking this is it for them.

I agree about Sugar and the advance orders.  Just like they don't say anything to the Senoreata about her hair they're not going to address Sugar.

It's sad.  I've watched since Season 1 and now it's just a shell of its former seasons.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Love 9

The big bushel of hair makes me queasy.

When wedding cake designer Sylvia Weinstock guest judged on Nailed It! she told a contestant with a similar devotion to maximum pelt display that she didn't allow that in her kitchen and made the woman tie it back. Where's Sylvia when we need her?

Fingers still crossed for ESO.

• Like 3
  • Love 12

Every time I hear "maybe cheese born with it," I reply "Maybe it's Maybelline." Commercials are really, really bad for young brains. The jingles go in and they don't ever leave. 

Sugar and head Senoreata are just so freaking tiresome. I don't normally comment on women's attire or what they bare, because you do you, but I wouldn't go near a food truck where the women had their jumpsuits open so far they were spoiling Victoria's Secret. Just gross. 

Rooting hard for ESO now. 

• Like 5
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, potatoradio said:

Every time I hear "maybe cheese born with it," I reply "Maybe it's Maybelline." Commercials are really, really bad for young brains. The jingles go in and they don't ever leave. 

Same here; I assumed Sugar thought of the name of her truck from that commercial.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I wondered whether the association was deliberate. But then, this gives me great pause in considering how capable Sugar is in this business. I mean, I don't normally think of mascara or lipstick and then follow up with a mac and cheese craving and I don't think I'm alone in that. Or am I supposed to insert drag queen in there somewhere? Make up! Oh, drag queen! Oh, wow, mac and cheese! What a very....unsuccessful concept. 

If I'm going to get all dolled up to eat, it's not gonna be mac and cheese. It's going to be....artisanal pasta, mayhaps, with not a shaking tower of shimmy or exposed bra to be found.  

• Like 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

Sadness. I think anyone going on the show needs to think about the social media presence. Gone are the days of catching customers when they walk by

Edited by roseslg
  • Like 4
  • Love 6
(edited)

Canned chili. Store-bought rotisserie chicken. Yellow mustard. On mac and cheese. 

And they're in the finale. Sugar sold that one man a $100 order of mac-and-cheese in order to justify his "donation" to the truck. 

Are the trucks not allowed to grocery shop anymore? I don't understand why Senoreatas was refunding orders when they easily could have shut down for an hour to re-stock; same with ESO and their chicken. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 7
  • Love 7
59 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Canned chili. Store-bought rotisserie chicken. Yellow mustard. On mac and cheese. 

Stuff like canned chili should just not be allowed.  I am so irritated with the two remaining trucks.  They should have been eliminated a loooooooong time ago.

I just deleted my season pass for this crap.  I'm done.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 12

Well, crap.  The adults with the best food go home and the two highly annoying teams stay.  Everything Maybe Cheese makes looks revolting to me.  They don't even try to plate it attractively.  If I saw someone who looks as unappealing as Sugar standing outside a food truck screaming at people, I'd give that truck a wide berth.  I can't imagine how they do as well as they do.  

I'll watch the last episode just to see what happens but I don't really care at this point.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 10

Sugar did not come off well talking smack about ESO and their meticulous food prep/plating versus MCBWI's slap-and-dash-and-sell. Getting orders out fast isn't the flex you think it is, Sugar.

• Like 4
  • Love 18