Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

(except maybe Grape Nuts, because I like having teeth and chewing on gravel is bad for your dental health)

You're supposed to soak them in milk until they soften up before you even try to eat them!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I thought it looked like a very specific 1920s-ish style hat

Like the flapper hats?  That's what I thought she was going for until she added the curlique on the top.  That's what took it from looking vaguely like a hat to not at all, for me.

Just now, Ms Lark said:

You're supposed to soak them in milk until they soften up before you even try to eat them!

No one ever told me?!!!!!!  😆

• LOL 4
8 hours ago, CrazyDog said:

Corey's turn at judging was pretty funny - he did handle it well. And Lorraine actually made me laugh for a change. She's usually so unemotional.

My son worked with Cory at Michael Symon's restaurant, Lola. He said he was a really nice guy - funny and down to earth.

• Love 14
17 hours ago, theatremouse said:
19 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I don't understand why Marqessa didn't stand up for herself when Lorraine said she couldn't understand how that was all she produced in 2 hours.  She had major difficulties with the tuille cookies and had to make them several times. 

I don't think that would've made her look any better. An experienced baker shouldn't have needed so many tries on the tuilles. When she decided to do them she even said it was because it used to be her job and she could make them in her sleep. And then...she couldn't.

Plus I don't think the judges thought she did so little and was just sitting around running down the clock. When they say she should've done more in the time, what they mean is "if it took you that long to do just this, you're not at the level we expect here".

Yep to all this... but in the past Lorraine gives contestants a "scrunchy" face when they try to explain what happened. The judges see those explanations as "excuses" that they just don't want to hear. I've seen them give someone a break/understanding when they burn or cut themselves. Other times all they get is a shoulder shrug and a "welp"! lol! 😊

The thing about the explanations is...it depends on what new impression you're trying to give. Sometimes it's basically a defense of "don't worry, I know better, I know I screwed up" and in those cases, the judges probably appreciate it. If they're deciding between someone who knows they screwed up vs someone who screwed up and thought they were great, it might make a difference. Or as you noted, if someone were injured and it affected them. But if the explanation boils down to "don't worry, I'm not slacking, I'm just incompetent" that's not taking something that makes you look bad and replacing it with something better, it's just swapping one bad for another. And that sort of explanation results in scrunchy-face. And if no one else screwed up, then it doesn't matter at all.

• Love 5

I was soooo happy to see Marquesa (aka Skunk) go home.... she was just not likable, at all.  One minute she's all silly and perky and the next she's screaming at the other contestants....  ugh   Anyway, I was half-expecting her to win as I thought the tuile frustration was a win-arc-edit, but I was wrong.  Had she decorated them better, she might have been safe.

Cory's choices are very risky, but he seems to be getting by.

Sabor's peeps looked really cute - I don't think there is anything that man cannot do.  

What was Fransisco thinking with the colors of that hat???!?  At least he knew himself that it was bad.  

Carina is my favorite so far.  As someone else mentioned, I'm glad she's not all about the "tropical" or "mexican" flavors.  Those mini hats were beyond perfection.

Pepto Bismol hat lady (sorry I can't recall her name) seems to be losing her confidence.  I have a feeling she'll be the next one out even though she was safe this week.

Lorraine is really getting a better edit this season.  Usually she just seems nasty, but she's actually likable this round.

I wanted to rip those flowers off of Nancy's head and throw them at Clinton.  Duff should have been wearing an Easter bonnet.  

• Love 7
On 4/18/2019 at 1:16 AM, BigBingerBro said:

Duff should have been wearing an Easter bonnet.  

Men generally don’t wear bonnets plus he is Jewish so that would have been a really bizarre choice. 

• Love 3

I don't think Saber totally understood the challenge.  I couldn't imagine that they'd send him home as he's clearly one of the best bakers and decorators there but it made me nervous seeing him on the bottom anyway.  Tracy was the right choice.  I liked her but her decorating skills just weren't at the same level as the others still standing.  

I think two of the final three will be Saber and Riccardo.  I'm partial to Cory but I sort of doubt they'll have an all male finale unless Corina really (and obviously) messes up next week.

• Love 13

I was glad to see Riccardo win.  He started out the season so cocky, but after a couple of major mishaps, he was so humbled and anxious, it was almost painful to watch.  He seemed truly appreciative of the judges’ kudos and the ultimate win.  I was happy for him!

• Love 8

I'm torn. I genuinely like all 4 contestants left.  I'm rooting for Saber the most but beyond that... I want them all to win $25k! It's uncommon for me to like all the contestants that are left.  I usually have at least one "anyone but that person" in the mix. 

• Love 15
4 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

'm torn. I genuinely like all 4 contestants left.  I'm rooting for Saber the most but beyond that... I want them all to win $25k! It's uncommon for me to like all the contestants that are left.  I usually have at least one "anyone but that person" in the mix. 

I agree with everything you said.  These four are the ones that I picked out after the first episode of the season.  They are all talented and none of them get on my nerves.  It's down to who will impress the judges the most as opposed to earlier episodes when all a baker has to do is not screw up as much as someone else.

• Love 4

I was thinking that this whole season has been more enjoyable than some because I have liked most of the bakers.

I would like it if they would tone down the crazy huge fake eyelashes on Nancy and Lorraine, though.

• Love 9

I was glad to see Tracy finally go, although I don't understand why it took 3 challenges for the judges figure out she can't decorate, ans this one was probably the best of the 3.

Ricardo suddenly reminded me of Milo Ventimilia with glasses in one of his TH.

• Love 2

I know someone *had* to be the other one in the bottom two, but Saber's cake was beautiful. All they could say was that it looked like a summer meadow rather than a magical forest. And it tasted amazing.

• Love 6

I think one of the reasons I like the final four is that none of them come across as doing this to try to get a tv show. They've all made complex things that I, a somewhat okay home baker, have no experience and no confidence making - and it's beautiful to see. 

• Love 18

I'm really happy with the Final Four.  I'm hoping for a Saber win, but honestly, I'd be happy if any of the 4 wins.  I have to say, I laughed out loud when Riccardo did the Mario impression, hahaha.  My mom was Italian and as a joke she used to say, "Whassa Matta You?" haha.

I used to work with a Russian guy who used to do the "We are just two wild and crazy guys looking for foxes" impression from Saturday Night Live.  Hilarious.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, dleighg said:

Cory didn't use much out of his special basket did he!

That was a pretty lame "advantage" if you ask me!  Look at the reaction everyone else got for using fondant and gumpaste.  Cory doesn't strike me as the type to want to rely on pre-fab molds and cutters for anything.

• Love 9

Like all four. But Saber is just so darn cute.  And I though his enchanted forest was well done. There's nothing that says it has to be dark. The very definition just means "containing" enchantments. Looked that way to me.

• Love 5

Sabor knew he didn't meet the challenge when he saw everyone else's final cakes.  I knew he would definitely NOT go home.  I can't imagine the finale without him or Ricardo Boyardee.  I'm betting Cory will go home so that there isn't an all male finale (like a few other posters noted).  Carina has really stepped up and has been doing some awesome creations the past few episodes.  At this point, I'd be happy with any of the four of them winning.  I've never felt this way with any other baking competition before.

• Love 7
On 4/23/2019 at 7:08 AM, joanne3482 said:

I'm torn. I genuinely like all 4 contestants left.  I'm rooting for Saber the most but beyond that... I want them all to win $25k! It's uncommon for me to like all the contestants that are left.  I usually have at least one "anyone but that person" in the mix. 

This. I really enjoy all the finalists. Corey has been growing on me, I think because he's so deadpan with his humor and his interactions with the judges. And he does some weird and interesting things.

Karina and Saber seem like the most consistent, and I think either one could pull out a win.

I hate to see any one go home now!

• Love 2

I was a little surprised that they didn't question Tracey about using phyllo dough.  I seem to remember others being taken to task for it in prior seasons. We always see baklava in the winter, but they didn't criticize her for that, so it must be a spring dessert elsewhere.  

The top four enchanted forest cakes were beautiful, even if Saber's didn't meet the criteria.  I really liked that challenge.  

Corey's advantage for the honey/walnut challenge was so lame.  That stuff is for amateurs like me, not real bakers, like most of these folks.  

• Love 2

I was actually shocked that Riccardo was eliminated.  I thought Corina was going for sure because she messed up her pavlovas.  I suspect they kept her to avoid all the criticism, they would have got if they'd had three men in the finale.  The criticisms of Riccardo's creation were so subjective that I thought they were reaching to justify the choice.

I'm partial to Cory but I also like Saber a lot so I'll be happy for whoever wins assuming it's one or the other.   I like Corina but I don't think she's as experienced or skilled as they are.

• Love 7

Aw, no more Chef Boyardee and his "Mamma mia!" exclamations!  He did seem especially frazzled while making his main heat dessert, poor guy.  I hope there's more happy moustache twirling in his future.

Anyone else shocked, shocked I say!, to see Lorraine take a huge (for her) piece of dessert from Duff's plate to see if there was a different level of rose taste?  Seemed so out of character for her, but it makes me like her more.

I like all 3 bakers in the finale, I'll be happy with any of them taking first place.  I especially liked that there weren't any of the contrived "how y'all doing?" shout outs.  

• Love 10
8 hours ago, mlp said:

I was actually shocked that Riccardo was eliminated.

His pre-heat dessert had issues, so maybe they took that into account as well.  I've been impressed with Corey's level of baking and decorating.  He's put out some beautiful & tasty desserts!

• Love 10

I was a bit surprised Ricardo went, too, but I cannot argue with the final three.  They've all shown themselves to be great bakers (and decorators).  I'll be happy with any of them winning.  I think Corey's really come on strong the last few weeks, but Saber just seems like a baking savant.  

• Love 9

Corey has really grown on me over the course of the season.  I think I just naturally gravitate towards dad jokes 😖  Both of his desserts this week looked gorgeous.  Floral flavors are more common in other parts of the world but I can't think of anything rose-flavored that I've ever wanted more than an itty bitty bite of.  Just not for me.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

Aw, no more Chef Boyardee and his "Mamma mia!" exclamations!  He did seem especially frazzled while making his main heat dessert, poor guy.  I hope there's more happy moustache twirling in his future.

Anyone else shocked, shocked I say!, to see Lorraine take a huge (for her) piece of dessert from Duff's plate to see if there was a different level of rose taste?  Seemed so out of character for her, but it makes me like her more.

I like all 3 bakers in the finale, I'll be happy with any of them taking first place.  I especially liked that there weren't any of the contrived "how y'all doing?" shout outs.  

I was shocked Lorraine use her whole mouth to eat instead of just her teeth.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

I feel like I'm already forgetting but wasn't their criticism of Ricardo's that they couldn't taste the rose at all? But with hers, Duff thought the pavlova was too much rose and the other judges thought it was a fine level of rose? If all other things considered their mistakes on the actual bake were similar, it makes sense to me that 3 judges in agreement they didn't taste rose at all would lose over one where it could be tasted but they disagreed about whether it were the right amount. Because the former is basically "didn't meet the challenge" and it bugs me when they let that slide. The only time I'm ok with "didn't meet the challenge" staying over one that did is when the two bakes were met-the-challenge-but-completely-terrible-in-all-other-ways vs exceptional-but-couldn't-taste-required-ingredient.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, luvapickle said:

I was shocked Lorraine use her whole mouth to eat instead of just her teeth.

Seriously! She actually took human bites last week, too. I almost fainted! Must've gotten the message that we're not buying the "I have such an amazing palate, I can lick a crumb and judge an entire cake." business.

I really enjoyed this episode, not so much for all the PINK, but because it was the perfect level of competition I want to see in these shows. Each of the four contestants has a high degree of proficiency that is refreshing to see. Sorry to see Riccardo go, but I'm rooting for my girl Karina. Any win will be fine in my book, though.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 3

What's interesting is that not only are the final three extremely talented and deserving, they also seem to be the most likable contestants of this season.  This has definitely been the best season thus far!

• Love 15
8 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

What's interesting is that not only are the final three extremely talented and deserving, they also seem to be the most likable contestants of this season.  This has definitely been the best season thus far!

I agree! It’s rare that I like all of the remaining contestants - but I would truly be happy if any of them won. 

It’s been rubbing off on the judges - the three of them have been downright enjoyable this season! 😮

• Love 8

Agree, and agree! I was sad to see Ricardo go, but I really like the F3. Corey has totally grown on me though, and he seems to be trending up, while the other two have had some recent missteps. I am kind of hoping he pulls out a win. He does the most unexpected things.

Karina seemed off in her talking heads during the episode, so I wonder if it was just a rough day for her. 

I wish Lorraine would show a little sadness or something when a contestant gets booted - she just stares at them blankly while they walk out, or at least I've noticed that a few times this season. At least the other two seem to show a little sympathy. But I do enjoy the banter this year - they all seem to mesh well this season.

• Love 1

I too have enjoyed the contestants this year. It is very refreshing. I will be happy with any one of them that wins. I also agree about the rain. She just seems really cold to me. This does not mean that she is, but on television she comes off that way.

On 4/30/2019 at 9:02 PM, Jesse said:

I really appreciate the casting this year -- so much talent, and good personalities rather than PERSONALITIES!!!!!!

Ditto!  They're all relatively pleasant and talented.  I am sorry to see Riccardo go- I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision.  

I'm so shallow, but I miss his biceps too.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:12 PM, Enigma X said:

I too have enjoyed the contestants this year. It is very refreshing. I will be happy with any one of them that wins. I also agree about the rain. She just seems really cold to me. This does not mean that she is, but on television she comes off that way.

Wouldn't that make her snow?

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 4/25/2019 at 5:53 AM, Jeanne222 said:

I'm on baby watch!!!  Today is the first day I'm actually looking for any news!  Good luck Meghan and Harry!

5 hours ago, Brookside said:

Wouldn't that make her snow?

I wrote that while on my phone and did not realize I had written that (and not going to change it). Lol.

Edited by Enigma X
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I was sorry to see Ricardo go.  I wouldn’t have been upset with an all male final three.  It was warranted.  Karina is a talented baker but it seemed to me that she relied on those red plastic molds (don’t remember their official name) way too much all season long.  That said, I won’t be upset if she wins but I’m rooting for one of the guys.  

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, tinderbox said:

..she relied on those red plastic molds (don’t remember their official name) way too much all season long. 

I don't know the official name for them, but I call them "silicone dome molds" and yes she loved to use them.  Cory was also a fan of those molds.

• Love 1

I love Saber's box, except it looks a little shaky.  .    The only flaw is the leaning layers.  

I don't like what they said about Karina's cake.  It's classic, not old fashioned.   I have to agree with what the judges said about Karina and Saber's boxes looking rushed. 

I think Corey has this in the bag.   I think they made the right decision, but all three should be very proud of themselves, and all of the bakers this season were great bakers.      

• Love 4

I liked all three of the finalists and hated to see any two of them lose but Cory has been my favorite since the beginning so I am delighted that he won.  It seemed like he had it wrapped up after each round but I didn't trust FN to play it straight.  I wish I could have seen his kids' faces when he told them that Dad won.

I enjoyed Clinton as host.

I'm looking forward to Best Bakers next week.

• Love 15
(edited)

I was pulling for Saber, but I’m happy with Cory’s win. He seems like such a nice guy. All three of the finalists were likeable and talented. Best wishes to them all.

Clinton grew on me. I would be happy to see him hosting again.

Duff, there is no such thing as just chocolate! 😆

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 14
(edited)

I live near Kalamazoo, where Cory teaches, and our local news said the show was filmed in September.  Maybe that is why the judges keep mentioning things looking/tasting like Spring - to remind themselves of what season they are filming.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

At the end,  the best baker won (IMO!). But as others have said, I wouldn't have minded any of the three winning, as each was skilled as well as pleasant. 

Great championship run! 

On to "Best Baker in America"! (FYI: The new season's Episode 1 is preceded by a Food Network marathon of last year's episodes!)

• Useful 1
  • Love 8