Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Check Yourself!

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Adrian is confused by Laura's flirtatious advances; Rhylee gets fired up when Ross tells Tyler he'd be doing him a favor by hooking up with her; the crew suspects a guest of being a mobster; Laura and Kate have a screaming match during dinner.

Airs December 18, 2018.

• Love 2

OK -  I'm done. I am so tired of being led on by previews that don't happen in the next episode.

I have a schedule conflict, another show on at the same time that I really like. Based on previews last week I was looking forward to seeing the "she goes or I quit" conversation with Captain Lee but now I find out that's not going to happen until next week.......maybe.

From now on I'll watch this program "On Demand" and see my other favorite show in this time slot.

As for the Kate/Laura conflict I'm not sure where I stand. They're both A#1 bitches.  As ghoulina said, Laura came in hot, and can't seem to do her job - although  I'm suspicious of editing. But Kate is not winning any Miss Congeniality awards either.  But I can really see where Laura's non-stop mouth is grating on Kate's last nerve.

Edited by Skycatcher
  • Love 15

Rhylee heads deeper down the rathole of her own stupidity.  Getting laid seems to have helped momentarily, but I think she will soon be on the road to bunny boiling. 

Laura is just obnoxiously annoying.  Kate is just not going to take any of her crap.  "She needs to learn..."  Really 3rd stew?  Never a good attitude with a new boss.  She spends "all day cleaning up after" Kate?  wtf?  She doesn't do her own job.

But she's doing Ashton.  That's sure to end well.

Josiah does a nice job as peacemaker.  Fuggeddaboutit!  The guests seem really cool.  "Mob boss" may be a bit OTT.

Morticia Addams!  I have a wreath on my front door that would make her proud :)

• Love 11

Laura needs to be 'reminded' of her job description and who her supervisor is.  She came in all hot about being a chief stew but she can't do the job of a third stew.  She really needs to check herself.  And shut up about her job and when they're out for dinner.

If I were Kate, I would have gone ballistic after that last conversation.

Love this clip.  Laura says she wasn't finished when Kate came down and then says the towels weren't there when she did the turn down.  Girl, get your story straight.

http://www.bravotv.com/below-deck/season-6/episode-12/videos/laura-betancourt-thinks-kate-chastain-s-t-on-her

• Love 12

Re: romances, Tyler & Rhylee are an awkward pairing. He gives off a feminine energy of sorts but in fairness, she gives off a masculine one so maybe all the guys look a little effete next to her? I was SO hoping Ross would stick with her.  I like them together. Now we get Tyler for 2 seconds - who even *is* this guy?! No offense but he JUST got there. Yet he comes on the scene like gangbusters. I like him plenty, though. Decent dude so far. 

Laura is a chatterbox and has a low self esteem. I can already tell much of her behavior comes from a need for validation.  Nothing about her to particularly *like.* So idk why Adrian and Ashton are all about that. Ashton is too nice for her REALISTICALLY but the fu** boy in him won't quit.  If that part takes over and she sleeps with him then *she'll* be boiling bunnies faster than Rhylee. Laura still needs to shut her mouth and Adrian just wants affection..there's no WAY his hippie meditation guy personality wants a hyped up chatterbox. 

Kate and Josiah are who they are. Josiah is trying to play nice with Laura albeit maybe for cameras.  Kate needs to continue showing Laura who's boss...If only she had time for that. 

The guests seem nice enough and I don't think they scream "mafia" but it's fun to hear all the crew's wise cracks about that. 

Edited by Kdawg82
  • Love 4

Does anyone else think Laura looks like Meryl Streep from some angles? Or maybe it's Glenn Close. I canNOT figure it out and it's driving me batty. Anyone? Guess it doesn't matter so much because she's likely gone. Although, despite the 'her or me' ultimatum from Kate to Cpt Lee, I don't think she'll go. It's too late in the season. Either we will have Cpt Lee getting Kate to see reason (?) or Kate and Josiah will finish the season as they have been all along. Alone.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Love this clip.  Laura says she wasn't finished when Kate came down and then says the towels weren't there when she did the turn down.  Girl, get your story straight.

yet there were towels on the floor of the bathrooms after a Laura turndown LAST episode too. The crew would know if guests were wandering about. Kate seems to call for turndowns once they are all seated at dinner, and all guests have been seated last 2 meals. Sooo. Either Kate/production is planting weirdly placed towels (on the floor, hanging from wall protuberances), or Laura is lying. Also, she didn't put water beside the bed last episode. Core will be pissed. Better not mention that again... Ultimately, Kate has flung gasoline at this situation since the first dinner. She found Laura annoying and she was flat out rude to her and let her know. Now it's escalated. I get Kate is exhausted from hauling the Caroline albatross for x many charters, but...Kate. 

What did Adrians 'thrashed' comment even mean to Laura? Who, btw, I think if finding Chef Unicorn and fellow yogi, as creepy as she is.

• Love 5

How hard is it to pick up some damn towels? Of all the things for Laura to leave undone that's the most stupid and obvious mistake she could make. So weird that she'll just ignore them like no one will notice. If you wanna slack off be smarter about it.

• Love 12

Y'all, I've never watched this show before this season but this is my new and most favourite crack. I'm fangirling Kate like whoa.

I was so worried that when Caroline was canned/quit/probably almost forcibly removed that the only drama would be coming from Rhylee being Captain I Fucking Got It, Okay? Gawd!

Thank you Laura, for bringing the maple syrup soaked dramz. Everyone may be talking about your very Canadian "sorry" but I heard that "eh" you slipped in at the beginning of the episode. True North represent!

• Love 21
5 minutes ago, MrsWitter said:

Ethnic prejudice is never a good look and it’s damaging, not humorous. 

I def wasn't LOL about it. But I'm from NJ and most people I've known, growing up, and presently have been Italian or at least half. My godmother was a very classy amazing woman also 100% Italian. So I hear you. I think I take for granted the stereotype bc I've known many and haven't ever known anyone "mafia" per se. Shady business practices- definitely. Most of my Italian people joke around and love all the "Godfather " movies and "Goodfellas," etc. It can go one of two ways - it can offend you or you can brag/joke about it . The one who I've suspected, never would ever talk about such things. Kate and Josiah are just silly. I feel like it's more offensive to go through a closet and point out the clothes . I hate when they do that! Like when Kate made fun of the women "wearing  forever 21 and living out their glory days." Sorry we can't all afford YSL, Chanel, & Prada!

• Love 11

Kate decided to mock the primaries this episode. Just as she has done many times before.

So these Italian Americans are “Mafia” and she needs to mock the woman’s clothes. Guess what? In New York most women have a wardrobe that is about 90% black. Everyone doesn’t necessarily have “vacation” clothes. Why is it permissible to stereotype and mock Italians?  Would they do it to African Americans, Jewish people, Muslims or any other ethnic group?

i just wish Joe Colombo were alive today.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, queenjen said:

Although, despite the 'her or me' ultimatum from Kate to Cpt Lee, I don't think she'll go.

I think it's production manipulating is again. They played that preview and no ones lips moved and captain had a reflective look. Almost looked like probably Laura was venting and somehow captain got hold of a recording where she can be heard saying "she goes or I go!" And naturally, captain wants to know "what's going on with that?" 

After the dust-up, everyone will be OK again but the romance double trouble begins.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I'd be inclined to agree except that in the footage of Laura initially doing the turn down, the camera does a pan down and catches a towel on the floor as she's leaving the cabin. There wasn't a cut; it was a continuous shot. The other thing that Laura did was to go up to the galley and announce that she was done with turn down. When Kate decides to inspect Laura's work suddenly Laura is indignant because Kate is checking her work before Laura has had an opportunity to finish it. Which is it? The turn down was complete or Laura was in the process of doing it. It can't be both. This is also consistent with what she pulled with the champagne glasses.

This towel thing is so unusual that I'm wondering if Laura came from an eco boat or something like how some hotel chains have an eco housekeeping option. 

If she was messing up, why would it be on something so obvious.  Maybe something like not tucking the bed sheets tight or leav8ng the mints on the pillow but it’s har to overlook towels on the floor.

And hotels say you put towels on the floor if you want them replaced.  They won’t leave used towels on the floor.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

I def wasn't LOL about it. But I'm from NJ and most people I've known, growing up, and presently have been Italian or at least half. My godmother was a very classy amazing woman also 100% Italian. So I hear you. I think I take for granted the stereotype bc I've known many and haven't ever known anyone "mafia" per se. Shady business practices- definitely. Most of my Italian people joke around and love all the "Godfather " movies and "Goodfellas," etc. It can go one of two ways - it can offend you or you can brag/joke about it . The one who I've suspected, never would ever talk about such things. Kate and Josiah are just silly. I feel like it's more offensive to go through a closet and point out the clothes . I hate when they do that! Like when Kate made fun of the women "wearing  forever 21 and living out their glory days." Sorry we can't all afford YSL, Chanel, & Prada!

I think there is a big gulf in between those two options you presented. I enjoyed The Sopranos as a show and The Godfather Trilogy (well, not the third because I have taste), but that doesn’t mean it’s cool to make cracks about any dark-skinned Italian you see (as the crew did here).

It wasn’t clear to me from your response whether you are Italian or not, but I can only speak as an Italian who also grew up in the Northeast and has lived many other places outside the Northeast. The Italians in my family don’t brag about these stereotypes because they’ve experienced the consequences of them. My Dad experienced plenty of ethnic slurs hurled his way from my Mom’s non-Italian family. And, my goodness, the stories my grandpa could tell. And, on a much lesser level, I’ve had people outside of the Northeast and in other countries seriously ask if my family was like the Sopranos because they heard my Sicilian last name. I don’t think Josiah and Kate (and Adrian, from the preview of next week) truly mean any harm. But stereotypes have consequences, whether intended or not- there’s a boatload of research in various academic disciplines that demonstrates how seemingly “harmless” stereotyping causes harm on a micro and macro level.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, MrsWitter said:

And, on a much lesser level, I’ve had people outside of the Northeast and in other countries seriously ask if my family was like the Sopranos because they heard my Sicilian last name. I don’t think Josiah and Kate (and Adrian, from the preview of next week) truly mean any harm.

Where I grew up, I got teased for being neither Italian nor Irish. Only the "cool kids" were Irish & Italian. I have never met an Italian who had experienced prejudice or was berated based on their ethnicity. I don't think it's appropriate to treat people unkindly and with prejudice based on their ethnicity. I've experienced it based on my own. Kate thinks she is a lot funnier than she is and it has gone to her head. These guests are very nice and appreciative but did anyone say they are Italian? Was their last name Italian? I don't even recall that being a thing. All I heard was "bodies" and "wear black so you cant see the blood." I didn't even think they were particularly clever jokes. I just like to hear something other than screaming I guess. Its 4.5 hours past my bedtime and I'm officially delirious. Peace and love to all my people of all ethnic and racial backgrounds ✌🏼

• Love 4

Rhylee the only one making you look like a fool in the bar was you.

OMG the look on Ross’s face when Laura started singing and him mouthing WTF was hysterical.

The image of Adrian snuggling with his pillow while Laura was doing whatever under the cover with Ashton was great.

Josiah made the same comment as Kate about the Mafia which was just as bad. Not a good look for either.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, queenjen said:

What did Adrians 'thrashed' comment even mean to Laura? Who, btw, I think if finding Chef Unicorn and fellow yogi, as creepy as she is.

Not Thrashed...Trashed.  He said she was trashed, meaning drunk.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I'd be inclined to agree except that in the footage of Laura initially doing the turn down, the camera does a pan down and catches a towel on the floor as she's leaving the cabin. There wasn't a cut; it was a continuous shot. The other thing that Laura did was to go up to the galley and announce that she was done with turn down. When Kate decides to inspect Laura's work suddenly Laura is indignant because Kate is checking her work before Laura has had an opportunity to finish it. Which is it? The turn down was complete or Laura was in the process of doing it. It can't be both. This is also consistent with what she pulled with the champagne glasses.

This towel thing is so unusual that I'm wondering if Laura came from an eco boat or something like how some hotel chains have an eco housekeeping option. 

I am a room inspector for the best hotel In my resort area, and we have a green linen option.  If you don't require fresh towels, you hang up your wet ones.  If you leave them on the floor, our maids will provide fresh ones.  The same for the sheets, if you would like fresh ones, you leave a little card on the pillow. 

That said, if there was a green option, I'm sure Kate would know about it and say something.

• Love 10

Laurie, bosses are supposed to check subordinates work. If you dont want your work checked then do your work correctly. I wouldnt want to be on chief stew Lauries boat. Too manybtowels on the foor

• Love 5
6 hours ago, MrsWitter said:

See, I didn’t find that funny at all. It was pretty offensive and prejudicial. I’m normally #teamKate, but I sorta wanted to *whack* her (and the rest of the crew throwing around ethnic stereotypes). Unfortunately, despite being Italian and Sicilian, I don’t know anyone in the mafia. But I’m only half so maybe that’s why? I’ll have to check with my dark-skinned Dad.

Interesting, because I used to watch *Mob Wives* (RIP Big Ang), and I immediately thought the woman in black had the same exact "Mafia Princess" look as Renee Graziano and Big Ang; that's where I thought they were going with that.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Jets4274 said:

I’m over Rhylee’s going-out wear.  Everything from the see-through dress on the first club night to tonight’s overall ensemble with her cheap white bra and blue panties showing have been ultra trailer trashy slutty looks, but they’ve helped her get play from practically the whole male crew so maybe I should take notes.

Cripes that outfit was bad, not that I think she has any class anyway.  Very Angela from 90 Day Fiance.

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, laprin said:

I think Laura meant to collect the towels at the end and in her rush forgot she still left them on the floor. When I clean a room, dirty towels and trash bags are the last things I collect because they require me to leave the room. Laura has a big issue admitting when she is wrong. It was the broken glasses all over again.  Merely holding Laura accountable for her job makes Kate a bitch to some.  Kate did not yell at Laura or disparage her. Her tone was harsh.  Not all bosses are coddlers. Thank goodness I’ve never needed coddling to do my job. 

This totally makes sense.  I had been thinking that it was likely that one of the guests came back to their room sometime during dinner (after all we really only see snippets of a two hour affair) and used the bathroom - washed hands, washed face, whatever.  I took a fancy cruise once and every time one of our party went back to the room, everything was put back perfectly right after you left.  It was like little elves working on that ship because you never saw them.  I would think this boat would have the same/higher standards than a cruise line.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

These guests are very nice and appreciative but did anyone say they are Italian? Was their last name Italian? I don't even recall that being a thing.

Richard’s last name was Fiore and he (and his fiancée) made a comment about the boat decor looking “Italian.” And based simply on being Italian and knowing a lot of Italians, Richard looked pretty Italian to me.

30 minutes ago, strongoxman said:

Interesting, because I used to watch *Mob Wives* (RIP Big Ang), and I immediately thought the woman in black had the same exact "Mafia Princess" look as Renee Graziano and Big Ang; that's where I thought they were going with that.

I never watched Mob Wives, but the comments were pretty much all focused on Richard, not his partner. So, while maybe that was an undercurrent, I don’t think that was the main source of the mocking.

Comment 1: Kate’s TH during the preference meeting: “I think Richard might be at the top of the Mafia hierarchy.”

Comment 2: Josiah TH when Richard is making his own drink (and the editing monkeys are playing some god awful Godfather-esque music in the background): “Richard looks like he’s in the Italian Mafia. 100 percent.” Then, while gesticulating in a stereotypical Italian manner, Josiah continues: “Forget about it! Isn’t that what they say in Italy?” (Editing monkeys cut to Richard saying “forget about it.” They also show another scene later in the show where Richard says “forget about it” again.)

Comment 3: Kate and Josiah after serving lunch and seeing Richard and his fiancée sunbathing.

Josiah: “Richard’s over there.”

Kate: “I’m scared of him. Do you think if we become friends with him... he’ll tell us how many people he’s killed?”

Comment 4: Kate and Josiah going into the master cabin.

Kate: “I just went to the master cabin. I think you should go look.”

After looking in the closet, Kate says, “It’s like Morticia Addams... How many funerals does she expect to go to?”

Kate TH: “I mean, black is chic, but it’s also like a 106 degrees in Tahiti. But it hides the blood stains.”

And next week: Adrian TH: “Obviously she has a crush on me and she’s married to Tony Soprano so I’m cringing.”

These comments are pretty clearly based on their ethnicity and appearance (especially since they started before the guests even got on board). After rewatching (to type this out), I’m actually even more disgusted. Kate, Josiah, Adrian, and Bravo editing monkeys: THIS IS NOT OK. 

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

I have never met an Italian who had experienced prejudice or was berated based on their ethnicity. I don't think it's appropriate to treat people unkindly and with prejudice based on their ethnicity.

I mean no disrespect, but how do you know this? It’s not like everyone who has been berated or treated in a prejudicial manner goes around openly talking about it. Some do, but many don’t. I’m sure I have friends who would say the same because it’s not something I discuss frequently. And the older generations? They can be even more closed off about it. My Dad never discussed with me the things my Mom’s family said to him. My Mom told me about the comments when I was older. Even now, my Dad doesn’t want to talk about it.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Laura's never claimed to have picked up the towels.  Instead, she went into attack mode, questioning why Kate would check her work before the end of her shift, and shrieking at Kate to calm down.  I was impressed with how calm Kate remained.  Laura really showed her ass this episode.  She's the worst kind of employee, one who sucks at the job while thinking they're the best, and criticizing everyone around them.

Kudos to anyone who manages to get down in those tiny little bunks. Reminds me too much of my college loft bed.  I think I still have some battle scars.

• Love 22

No way in hell Laura was ever a chief stew because if she was she would know that is no way to talk to your boss. Ever. Unless you are getting ready to quit and walk off immediately. 

So far the Mafia guests are nice people. How can they all be primary's, though? 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Laura is a chatterbox and has a low self esteem. I can already tell much of her behavior comes from a need for validation.  Nothing about her to particularly *like.* So idk why Adrian and Ashton are all about that.

I know someone exactly like Laura, and yeah, I think low self-esteem covered up by mountains of false bragging and self-confidence is it. And she is not at all pretty IMHO. Why are the guys even interested? Just that she's "fresh"?

• Love 11
8 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Wonder if Caroline is jealous that Laura and Rhylee are having sex with the crew, and she never got to?

Most guys steer clear of pasty, coughing/gagging nutjobs. She's gross. I really, really hated her and Chandler.

• Love 4

I'm sure it's because production includes "how do you think [insert cast member here] is doing at their job?" in every talking head interview, but I'm really sick of hearing Ross and Ashton's criticisms of Kate. Especially when it gets dog-whistle-y, like her and Laura are having conflicts because Kate's "insecure". 

I still think Adrian's been the best chef we've seen, mostly because he's very low on tantrums and seems to find it easy to get along with the interior, but he's also a complete sex weirdo and it's uncomfortable.

• Love 10