Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Meri Drops a Bomb

• Start Topic

OMG...this trainwreck is back...and I watched it.

Kody's hair was nothing like Keith Urban's....Meri's looked more like it.

That 'business meeting' was embarrassingly stupid.

Robyn? First of all, "mysisterscloset" is not one word. Secondly, you do not need a fifth kid. Thirdly, your profile looks like one of those Kitchen Witches, so how did you produce the cutest kid of them all ? (That youngest one...adorable. Seriously.)

Thank goodness the 'homes' are all built, so they have stopped saying 'homes' in every sentence. However, 'fomily' can be the new drinking game.

I still like all the kids. However, as soon as they hit puberty in that fomily, the weight just jumps aboard. Even on Dayton, who is not genetically connected.

Love Dayton.

The other drinking game can be the viewing of plaques on the wall with advice written on them.

The flashback to Kody dancing in the street....funniest thing on TV in ages.

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree that Kody looks better with his hair pulled back (or if he cut it short).  He has less of that "werewolf" look.

I've noticed a change in the way the show is filmed.  The format is getting more like "My Five Wives", where there are little planned discussions filmed between two people in isolation from everyone else.  It just looked soooo scripted to me.  I am struggling to find much of it genuine, especially Kody's "protesting too much" about he and Janelle having a belated "romance" 20 years later.  Janelle looks GREAT, it's been a rough road for her and I am sooo proud of her, but I still don't buy Kody's romance proclamation.

I found it interesting that the spin put on Meri's decision made Robyn the heavy this time, while last season the women were heaping on Meri to stick with "My Sister Wives Closet" as if her wanting to do something for herself was selfish.  Interesting switch there, and IMO, it seemed set up by the editing.

Another piece of scripted BS was the lecture to Mykelti and her boyfriend, who have obviously swapped saliva before but were putting on a clean face for the camera.  I don't even think Kodouche is that Victorian in his attitudes.  They're scraping for story lines.  And count me in as someone who doesn't think it's necessarily a good idea to shelter one's kids from heartbreaks for all the reasons already stated above.

Not having a pitch for those consultants was probably another scripted thing, probably to set us up for the eventual scrapping of the investor idea.  I agree that the business at this point is more of a plot device than a real business.  I can't believe that Kody at the very least would not know they needed to prepare something.

One thing I have to say is that they all somehow seem to be in a better place than in past seasons, and in a better place than the Williams' in general.  Honestly, seeing them was like a breath of fresh air after an exasperating season of the "Brady Bunch Williams Family"  LOL.  Of course the season is young yet and they have plenty of time to start annoying me.  Somehow, though, I still think that in the end I like them better than the Williams family.  As douchey as Kody is, I still find him less offensive than Brady.  And the Brown women just seem less conflicted and weak than the Williams women, although I realize that's not saying much.

Edited by Intuition

Am I the only one thinking that the Browns were meeting with their venture capital "friend" thinking that he would invest, not just give advice? I totally thought that they were looking for money to pay their own bills, not investment capital. They have had this business for maybe a couple of years now, how is it that they do not have a business plan? I bet they don't even have a business account. I would doubt that they spend every dime that comes from the business for their own bills, instead of investing it back into the business.

I was unaware that you need to lighten your load of not working in order to have a baby. I guess checking your crappy website for non-existent orders takes a lot of time. How dumb is Robyn? I mean how can she not realize that no one wants to be part of the business because it is a piece of crap? Meri may have been annoying these past few years but better she go to school that may lead to a job than keep playing homebased business with Robyn. I will say that, during the first season, Meri really did seem to enjoy going to school and working her job with troubled kids. Going back would do a world of good for her self-esteem. 

I did not like Janelle's makeup in the couch scenes.

I think it is interesting that neither Kody nor the wives acknowledge one of the unfair aspects of their lifestyle. Kody is the only one that gets to partake in every event, every vacation, every party. As the only husband, he goes to every birthday or anniversary date/dinner/vacation, while the other wives sit at home. How does this not piss everyone off? 

• Love 7

I think it is interesting that neither Kody nor the wives acknowledge one of the unfair aspects of their lifestyle. Kody is the only one that gets to partake in every event, every vacation, every party. As the only husband, he goes to every birthday or anniversary date/dinner/vacation, while the other wives sit at home. How does this not piss everyone off?

Just watching Kody run around like he does makes my head spin.  If I were one of the wives it wouldn't bother me if I didn't get to go on every vacation, anniversary or dinner date because I'm generally an introvert and not cut out for that kind of constant activity.  On the other hand, as a monogamist what would bother me is that he was doing those things with other women and not with me, if that makes any sense.

• Love 1
(edited)

Intuition, that makes perfect sense.  I would prefer not to have to be so involved all of the time, yet I would completely resent having to finance this crap.  Who does he think he is?  Seriously..   Kody gets a kabillion vacations, dinners out, date nights, weekend getaways, etc and yet the wives have to sit and wait patiently for their "turn"?  Umm -- no thanks.  I'm good... all by myself. 

Edited by tabloidlover
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm cheering Meri's choice to go back to school; these people all need a serious dose of education. Case in point, from a MSWC description for a pair of ($160!) earrings: "This beautiful, unique earrings are truly a work of art." Oh, Browns, you is so right. Them earring am purdy!

As for Robyn's attitude, all I can say is, BUCK UP, sister. She chose not only this "lifestyle," but couldn't wait to hitch her star to the Kodouche wagon. From the get-go she knew she was the uterus du jour, and Kody has been saying all along that he wants "a few more" children.

That means YOU, Robyn baby! You have a bunch of kids and you giddily signed on to donate your purity to the cause of an increased Brown population; if running the keychain...er... JEWELRY business is interfering with procreation, I think you'd best see to those kiddos you were so hot to produce. NOT MERI'S PROBLEM. (Yes, I realize they all claim that the blessing of a sister wife is the shared responsibility for the kids, but these are the Browns; the dissonance between lip service and actual practice is deafening...)

P.S.  I heard here: http://cynicaljinxwelcome.blogspot.com/ that Dayton had an accident on an ATV and that's how he hurt his eye. Robyn apparently stated that Dayton didn't want his accident mentioned or filmed on the program.

Edited by NewBaku
  • Love 5

As for Robyn's attitude, all I can say is, BUCK UP, sister. She chose not only this "lifestyle," but couldn't wait to hitch her star to the Kodouche wagon. From the get-go she knew she was the uterus du jour, and Kody has been saying all along that he wants "a few more" children.

I feel like there are signs that Robyn is actually growing up. She didn't cry,and she stated her concerns to both Kody and Meri in a pretty reasonable fashion. She can't run a whole business by herself and have 5 kids. What I don't understand is why Kody isn't providing most of the help. What else does he DO? And the honeymoon seems totally over between Kody and Robyn.

I'm over it with the constant tears from Meri. She has no minor children. She could totally do both school and helping some with the business. School is not really a 24/7 job for responsible adults who know how to manage their time. Especially when they have 3 sister wives who are supposed to be helping them out.

And did anyone else notice Dayton's eye? Why was it totally closed? And sorry Kody, but that kid has some form of autism. Not to be mean at all, but there are signs when you watch him.

I'm over it with the constant tears from Meri. She has no minor children. She could totally do both school and helping some with the business. School is not really a 24/7 job for responsible adults who know how to manage their time. Especially when they have 3 sister wives who are supposed to be helping them out.

This.  I cannot wrap my brain around Meri not being able to help with the  "business" still.  So she takes a couple of courses, I doubt it will take more than a few hours per week - so what the hell is she doing with her time?  Kody too, for that matter.  What the hell does he do besides run around like an idiot?  And Robyn needs to learn to multi task as well.  Hello, all of her kids(minus Sol) are in school during the day - that should leave more than enough time to mail out a couple of packages per month. 

These people clearly have too much time on their hands -- all it does is give them time to complain about how hard everything is.  The rest of us do it, people, not that hard.  Seriously.

• Love 1

I would be more supportive of Meri's decision to not work with the jewelry business if she was honest about why. College is an excuse. As several posters have pointed out, she could manage to do both. But she doesn't want to because the business is a waste of time and money. So just say that Meri. Someone needs to. Someone needs to point out that Sister Wives Closet is a resource sucking black hole. 

I did a lot of fast forwarding and missed Kody's comment about Dayton and autism. Did Kody really say Dayton isn't autistic? I didn't think there was any question. Aside from the fact that Kody is a moron which would contribute to his stupid conclusion, I wonder if Dayton takes up extra time because of his needs and it bugs Kody. He doesn't want anyone else needing more attention than he does.  

• Love 1
This.  I cannot wrap my brain around Meri not being able to help with the  "business" still.  So she takes a couple of courses, I doubt it will take more than a few hours per week - so what the hell is she doing with her time?

But I think that was the point. I remember Meri telling Robyn that her going back to school did not mean she was completely bailing on Robyn. She insisted several times that she would still help out. I just think Robyn wants everyone 100% devoted to her "dream", because it validates how awesome it is. I think deep down she knows what the lack of enthusiasm means. But I also think the kind of emotionally blackmailed Meri into being her champion, since she basically joined sides with Meri upon entering the family and has been backing her up to Kody, etc. I think Meri rightly assumed that Robyn would get all indignant about her BFF pursuing something outside of this ridiculous joory business. I think those two are past their attached-at-the-hip phase, and since they're both amazing at being passive aggressive and stealth bitches, we can probably expect quite a few showdowns between them. 

(edited)

These people clearly have too much time on their hands -- all it does is give them time to complain about how hard everything is.  The rest of us do it, people, not that hard.  Seriously.

One of my favorite expressions is, "If you want something done, give it to a busy person."  These people seem incapable of multitasking.  Well, if anyone could, I think it would be Janelle, but I think she's just not that interested in MSWC.

Oh, by the way, in case you didn't know, this was a very busy week for the Browns.  (How many times did they have to tell us that.... 8 or 9?)

Edited by MMLEsq
id Kody really say Dayton isn't autistic? I didn't think there was any question. Aside from the fact that Kody is a moron which would contribute to his stupid conclusion, I wonder if Dayton takes up extra time because of his needs and it bugs Kody. He doesn't want anyone else needing more attention than he does.

I can't remember what he said verbatim, but it was something along the line of not thinking he's Autistic, he's just quirky. I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't take Kody's comment negatively at all. I took it more as him being of the mind that labels are confining and not wanting to label Dayton, that he was perfect just the way he is. Of course, *I* understand that a diagnosis is important for a child who might need therapy and extra help, etc. So yes, Kody may be a bit ignorant in that regard, but I thought he was coming from a good place. I don't think Dayton bugs Kody. He mentioned that they were very close, and in some ways closer than he is to his biological sons. I think they have a good relationship. 

• Love 3

I can't remember what he said verbatim, but it was something along the line of not thinking he's Autistic, he's just quirky. I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't take Kody's comment negatively at all. I took it more as him being of the mind that labels are confining and not wanting to label Dayton, that he was perfect just the way he is. Of course, *I* understand that a diagnosis is important for a child who might need therapy and extra help, etc. So yes, Kody may be a bit ignorant in that regard, but I thought he was coming from a good place. I don't think Dayton bugs Kody. He mentioned that they were very close, and in some ways closer than he is to his biological sons. I think they have a good relationship. 

Well that's good to hear. I remember when they were moving the kids into the home way back when Kody and Robyn first got married or engaged (don't remember which), Kody was moderately sensitive to Dayton's discomfort with change and need for things in his room to be a certain way. I'm glad that Kody's selfishness and need to be the center of attention hadn't removed that sensitivity.

I don't think Dayton bugs Kody. He mentioned that they were very close, and in some ways closer than he is to his biological sons. I think they have a good relationship.

I’ve noticed that at times, Dayton seeks out Kody just to give him a hug. This caught my attention because it’s not something I’ve seen his biological sons do.  I don’t think it’s a secret that Kody and Hunter do not get along, Paedon and Gabrielle appear to keep their distance and Logan is rarely around these days.

My concern with Kody's remark about Dayton not having Asperger's was that he might not be getting the therapies and services he needs.  It also made Kody look like a fool, IMHO.

The flashback to Kody dancing in the street....funniest thing on TV in ages.

Made me laugh out loud.

Is it just me that thinks it is perfectly okay for a teenager/young adult to experience heartbreak?

If this show has taught us anything, it's that the Browns believe that heartbreak and misery should be reserved for marriage.

• Love 20
(edited)

Ugh. It looks like Kirklands came in and threw up all over their houses.

Now that I've given it some thought, all those wall quotes are probably from Hobby Lobby, which would make perfect sense.

Edited by drafan
  • Love 1
As the only husband, he goes to every birthday or anniversary date/dinner/vacation, while the other wives sit at home. How does this not piss everyone off?

You nailed that on the head. I think it DOES piss people off, but they've chosen a family structure that makes the inequity part of the norm. The women are taught that their sorrow is character-building. Even during the scene last season when the grandmothers were describing their experience in polygamy, they were in genuine tears. No pun intended, but for crying out loud: Those women were in polygamy for decades and decades, and STILL they can't speak about it without breaking down from the weight of the soul-searing pain they have carried. Why anyone can convince themselves that their deity WANTS them to be miserable is so far beyond my comprehension, it isn't even on the damned radar. 

• Love 5

Has Meri ever said WHAT exactly she's planning to study in college?  (Forgive me, I missed the first few minutes of the episode.)  I could get behind the idea a lot more if it was something that would help her get back into her work with youth or another viable field.  And I know it's usually much better to have any college degree on one's resume as opposed to simply a high school diploma, but I can't help but wonder if this is a) a chance to escape joolry duty, and b) a way to take advantage of mother/daughter college scrapbooking kits at the party supply store.

Although, if she wanted to major in The Pronunciation of T's (i.e. "Day'un," "impor'ant") and share her new found knowledge with the rest of the cult de sac, I would consider it money well spent.

• Love 6

Meri actually makes out even better because both she and Kody are on the mortgage for that house.  She could be getting half the mortgage money from him.  They split the TLC earnings five ways so Kody should be contributing if you think about it mortgage only. 

But KoDouche has his retirement he has to think about! You think it's easy doing nothing all day? He can't be giving Meri any money for college or Christine any money for groceries. He has to save for bro-mantic getaways with Brett.

• Love 1

I'm also wondering what she is planning to major in--she hinted that she loved her previous job in the youth residential treatment center.  If she wants to go back to that type of work, she would need to have a degree in nursing, counseling or maybe nutrition.  The tech jobs do not usually require a degree (I think she was a tech previously), but if the center offers schooling she could get a teaching degree or physical education.  

Oh, by the way, in case you didn't know, this was a very busy week for the Browns.  (How many times did they have to tell us that.... 8 or 9?)

C'mon, cut the poor Browns a break. Don't you understand that having to celebrate an anniversary and three birthdays in one week - while unemployed -  is so, so much work? My heart just bleeds for Kodouche and his four broodmares. 

• Love 1

If they divided the pot based on number of kids, then they’d be likely to still need “extra” housekeeping or misc money for various things because they have separate houses, and Meri would still be able to spend more money on herself, it’s just going to inherently be the case since she only had one kid and the rest have 5/6, some of which are still young. I didn’t get the impression that her going back to college meant she was stopping one of the others from going, financially speaking. It’s healthier for her to spread her wings a bit now she doesn’t have a kid at home full time, rather than spend her time plotting another wet bar and more financially sensible than pouring the money into the MSWC business.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just looked at thier website and I wonder how long it'll be before Robin gets fat. The other wives are HUGE!!!!!!!

I noticed that when Robin was talking to Dayton about Kody she she said "your dad"  When did Robin start referring to Kody as her kids "dad" ?

I also don't know why Kody is carrying his backpack from house to house. He must have personal items in every house.

Edited by Taylorh2

Did anyone else catch the weird, somber, almost goth-like (IMO) version of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" that played leading into one of the scenes?  What was that about?

• Love 1

I went back to school full time at age 43. I manage to make the Presidents list or deals list every semester and I have 3  adult kids at home. I could absolutely manage a part time job or  a business like Robyns and go to school too. Meri can still work the business. If she hasn't started school yet, she may be overestimating how much work it is

From the moment she moved to Lehi.

Yup. That started super early on. FTR, I don't have a problem with step-children referring to a step-parent as "mom" or "dad", as long as THEY are the one who initiates it. Divorce and remarriage are very hard things on a child, so I would go with what the child felt comfortable with. But somehow I get the feeling that Robyn pushed this on her kids. Maybe not in an obvious way, but in her more passive-aggressive manipulative way she probably got them calling her great savior "dad" before long. 

IMO, Meri was nervous about the response that she would get from her sister-wives for good reason.  On some level, she knows its not fair that she has discretionary income to spend on going to school and Christine is over there probably barely making it through the week.  She is not contributing income, only spending money.  At least Robyn is TRYING to make some money.  (cough-pipedream-cough).

• Love 2

I was watching an old episode the other day. It was the episode featuring King Sol's birth and Robyn's dad said to one of her children, maybe Breanna, "Your dad will come tuck you in." I can't recall the exact phrasing but Kody was definitely referred to as "your dad" by their grandpa. I found it to be so bizarre. While I can see Robyn living out of reality I was surprised her dad caters to it. 

On some level, she knows its not fair that she has discretionary income to spend on going to school and Christine is over there probably barely making it through the week.  She is not contributing income, only spending money.  At least Robyn is TRYING to make some money.  (cough-pipedream-cough).

This would be the same Robyn that I an early episode of the show said "shall I just leave my bills on the counter, right?" like the magical bill paying fairy would deal with it. The jewellery is probably costing money at this point (or might. be if TLC is picking up it up as expenses for a storyline). Meri was in college when the show started and going back could eventually lead to a decent job post show, so I think its a fair use of her funds. Far better that than sitting scrapbooking or planning another "essential"  addition to her house.

Whilst I think the Brown finances seem perilous non of the "drama" was about them making ends meet if she goes to school. Christine should experience some easing on her day to day budget with a couple of her kids now in college, and again I don't get the feeling that the young kids' future college educations are in any way threatened by this.

I haven't exactly been a Meri fan since the first season, and she's been shown as alternatively ridiculous and selfish for ages, but this is (potentially) the first positive thing she's done not jut for herself but the families in a long time. And there's a part of me that's pleased we get to see the her possibly beginning to embrace the possibilities of an only college age daughter after watching years of her moan about her infertility compared to the others.

• Love 2

I also don't know why Kody is carrying his backpack from house to house. He must have personal items in every house.

It's most likely his laptop. He's most likely taking it from house to house so that none of the wives can check his email and learn that he has been corresponding with women.

• Love 5

Of all the things Meri could be doing, finishing college is in the top two I'd suggest to her.  Getting a part-time job would be there also.  I'm guessing that with the show they don't feel the pressure to work, but putting in some Social Security credits, job experience, and some savings would be a positive thing to do rather than fiddle with the losing joorey business, scrapbooking, or sitting around doing nothing. 

• Love 1

What kind of idiot starts a meeting with :"we have this business that's costing us a lot of money?"  Kody to english: We'd like to fail on a larger scale.  Also, season 1 they begged us for houses, they got houses.  Are they now begging us to buy the jewelry and the house in Lehi?  I think Kody's requirement to marry Robyn was she produce children.  It tracks with how she passive aggressively weaponized her womb. I dislike these people.

• Love 5

I could totally relate to Kody's "quirky" remark about Dayton.  My daughter is high-functioning autistic, and when she was first diagnosed, they told us if we had come in a few years earlier, she wouldn't have even been diagnosed as being on the spectrum because the parameters were different.  She would have just been one of those kids that are quirky and march to the beat of their own drummer.

The title of this episode brings out the 12-year-old boy in me.  That's what we always say when someone farts, so "Meri drops a bomb" - hee!  

And I think Kody is transformed by that ponytail.  It's amazing.  It's like Clark Kent's glasses.

• Love 1

Yup. That started super early on. FTR, I don't have a problem with step-children referring to a step-parent as "mom" or "dad", as long as THEY are the one who initiates it. Divorce and remarriage are very hard things on a child, so I would go with what the child felt comfortable with. But somehow I get the feeling that Robyn pushed this on her kids. Maybe not in an obvious way, but in her more passive-aggressive manipulative way she probably got them calling her great savior "dad" before long. 

Robyn was more than passive-aggressive. She literally trained her children to call Kody "Daddy". All of the episodes are on Netflix, so I recently rewatched the first season, and in the episode about Meri's 20th anniversary Robyn holds up a picture of Kody and his wives and literally coaches Breanna to call Kody "Daddy" and call the other wives "Mommy". In the scene, Robyn pulls a picture and then it goes something like this...

Robyn (pointing to Meri in the picture): "Who is this?"

Breanna: "Mommy".

Robyn: "Which Mommy?"

Breanna: "Mommy Meri."

Robyn (pointing to Kody in the picture): "Who is this?"

Breanna: "Kody"

Robyn: "Who?"

Breanna: "Daddy!"

This was approximately 4-5 months after Robyn and Kody started courting because she had just moved into the rental house down the block from the Lehi house and that move occurred 3-4 months into the courting. 

It would be nice if Kody has a moment of self awareness when he see his scene demanding a higher quality product from a contractor to his nerve to show up empty handed hoping to be handed money from investors.  It's just stunning.  I cringed at Janelle/Kody tutting the kids off to bed on the anniversary date. 

• Love 2

Meri (can't believe I am defending her) never once said she wouldn't continue to HELP Robin, just that she was going to be going back to school,  As to the cost,... all she has to pay is tuition and fees based upon the number of hours she takes, no room/no board, no extra spending money.  It's not going to cost her (out of her budget) that much.  Most likely not more than the rest of the stupid ways they spend their money.   At the end of the studying, maybe there will be a real job with benefits. 

Robin has 4 children, 1 of which has Asberger's, 1 part time boyfriend, and 1 ex-husband in another state that she drives to sometimes. She does not need another baby.  Take care of the ones you have, enjoy your bonus kids.  Don't try to compete with the fact that Christine and Janelle (you know, your boyfriends' other girlfriends) both have six.

MyKelti and John were very respectful of Kody and Christine's nonsense.  really hormones pass thru the kiss, and  you only get your heart broken if there is physical contact? When did the Duggars show up?  This from a man who kissed Robin on the sly? Would love to know what John's parents thought of this conversation.

I really hope Logan and Aspen are branching out from this nonsense.

• Love 3

I doubt with the show salary that Meri will qualify for much aid. 

Undergraduate classes are less than $200 a unit so she won't be going broke on college any time soon. 

(edited)

I don't mind them calling Kody dad. There are so many other damned kids that maybe they just want to fit in.

They should have bought a business or franchise when they had some money. Hey, they could have bought a Five Guys with a wink wink to how it's really one guy and four wives! I'm just still stunned that none of them can either see or speak up about how stupid plyg jewelry is. They're not so beloved that people want their stuff, and I doubt that other sister wives have a lot of cash.

Meri is the first one to show any signs of breaking out and being her own person. I thought Janelle was going to do it with real estate, but didn't we learn that she really doesn't work? And I give Christine a pass because she seems to be everyone's mom.

Edited by EmeraldGirl
  • Love 3
This would be the same Robyn that I an early episode of the show said "shall I just leave my bills on the counter, right?" like the magical bill paying fairy would deal with it. The jewellery is probably costing money at this point (or might. be if TLC is picking up it up as expenses for a storyline). Meri was in college when the show started and going back could eventually lead to a decent job post show, so I think its a fair use of her funds. Far better that than sitting scrapbooking or planning another "essential"  addition to her house.

I agree. They've always divided the pot according to wives, not kids, and I've always felt that unfair. But it's not like some new thing. So if Meri DOES have excess money anyhjow, better she spend it in a way that might help her contribute to the financial side of things in the future. 

Meri is the first one to show any signs of breaking out and being her own person. I thought Janelle was going to do it with real estate, but didn't we learn that she really doesn't work?

I would be curious to know what the situation is with Jenelle. When she and Kody returned from their date and the kids made some comment about them being home "early", Jenelle said something about having to be up for work in the morning. 

• Love 1