Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Meri Drops a Bomb

• Start Topic

So if Meri DOES have excess money anyhjow, better she spend it in a way that might help her contribute to the financial side of things in the future.

That's just it, I don't think that Meri will contribute to anyone but herself or her daughter.  This is the woman who just had to have a wet bar and french doors.  She whined and insisted to the point that Kody was asking Janelle or Christine if they had any of their housing budget left over that he could give to Meri!

• Love 1
Meri is the first one to show any signs of breaking out and being her own person. I thought Janelle was going to do it with real estate, but didn't we learn that she really doesn't work?

Meri has always been her own person.  She is a selfish woman who has never been for anyone but herself and her spoiled, unattractive daughter.  Good thing Kody had broodmares.  Janelle is currently working for a real estate company.

• Love 5
That's just it, I don't think that Meri will contribute to anyone but herself or her daughter.  This is the woman who just had to have a wet bar and french doors.  She whined and insisted to the point that Kody was asking Janelle or Christine if they had any of their housing budget left over that he could give to Meri!

But don't all earnings go into the family pool? And then they're dispersed evenly among the wives? That's how I always understood it. It's not like Kody ever made enough to just split up HIS money among the four (or three, has he really worked since early Robyn?). 

Well, Janelle and Christine are both still listed as agents, but we know Christine does not work. I thought I'd read inside info before about how Janelle didn't really work there either, but their pics stay up for publicity. Not a family that's exactly setting the world on fire. I personally find Christine to be the hardest worker because I think she has raised most all the kids. Seems like she must have drawn a line in the sand with Robyn and all her future babies since Robyn is so bitchy about raising her own kids and "working".

• Love 4
But don't all earnings go into the family pool? And then they're dispersed evenly among the wives?

I don't know if we'll ever really know for sure just how things really play out with that bunch.  But I'd guess that all the TLC income is evenly split between the wives, although I've also heard that it's split five ways between Kody and his stable.  I don't know how much money the MLM is bringing in, but that is supposed to also be split evenly.  I can't imagine the SWC is bringing in any income, they're probably lucky if they break even on that mess.  Christine will never work outside the home if she has her way.  Neither will Robyn.  Meri's employment history is spotty at best, and if she ever goes back to work I'm sure she'll do her best to keep the money for herself.  Same with Kody.  Janelle has the best record of work history and work ethic, but even she has been disappointing since the move to Vegas.  Now she has her realty license, but I don't know if she's really trying to make any sales.  However, if she were to earn a commission I'm sure that Meri would be right there with her hand out waiting for her share.

• Love 1

Yea, and you know, pooling all the money probably worked better when they all lived under one roof. Now that they each have their own homes, I can imagine their set-up has changed a bit.

Yup. That started super early on. FTR, I don't have a problem with step-children referring to a step-parent as "mom" or "dad", as long as THEY are the one who initiates it. Divorce and remarriage are very hard things on a child, so I would go with what the child felt comfortable with. But somehow I get the feeling that Robyn pushed this on her kids. Maybe not in an obvious way, but in her more passive-aggressive manipulative way she probably got them calling her great savior "dad" before long.

Yes, I agree. From previous seasons, we know that Robyn's first husband has some visitation with the kids, so he is "dad". Usually kids come up with some sort of nickname- "dad" for bio-dad and "pops" or "Dad Kody" or something for step-dad. I agree, Robyn pushed the name. Kudos for Robyn too acknowledging Dayton's Aspergers diagnosis. Yes, he is quirky and has some social-ineptitude qualities, he still may do very well in school, be successful in a career, etc.

Hope I quoted right, this is my first try at PTV. :)

• Love 2

I do not believe for one minute that the Robyn/Meri scenes were shown in the correct order. I think that Meri and Robyn had their tete a tete and THEN Robyn went to Kody and threatened that she could not possibly give him any additional children without having help. This way, Kody stops supporting Meri and starts viewing her as standing between him and what he wants. Meri remains the bad guy, and Robyn the favorite.

• Love 11

I find the "THIS IS YOUR NEW DADDY" thing unseemly, but I'm hoping that they call their biological father "Father" or "Pops" or something. 

Janelle called MSWC a "hobby business" a year or two ago, so I don't think she ever had illusions about it. 

I agree that Meri will not be sharing any future earnings, at least so long as she maintains her own residence.  Any attempt to redistribute the money she makes from the job she gets from her degree will be seen as taking advantage of HER hard work and sacrifice getting the degree, a degree nobody helped pay for, etc. etc.  Meanwhile, Mariah will have a magnificent wedding and Christine and Janelle's girls will have backyard cookouts.  Because Meri only has the ONE CHILD, so she gets a budget equivalent to what will be spent on the other 14 girls.

As for Robin not procreating any more and being happy with the one Brown baby she has and the bonus kids?  Kody did not take all of them and their financial baggage on in return for one kid, nosirree.  It's not like she's 22 and she can wait a few years, either.   

• Love 2

I wonder if Meri gets the same amount of money as the other wives because she and Kody are legally married. They have to file taxes as a married couple putting them in a higher tax bracket and don't have the same amount of tax deductions for children. Plus, isn't Kody's name on Meri's house? This is why I think she was able to get a house just as big as the other wives and all the "cool" upgrades. It's the only house in Kody's name and he obviously believes that he deserves the best. What's Meri's is Kody's and what's Kody's is Meri's. 

I wish they would explain what arrangements they have made if Kody were to die. Wouldn't his social security go just to Meri, although maybe the wives would get something for the minor kids? I don't know much about SS. Or what happens if Kody is injured, do the wives understand that, unless they have official documents saying differently, Meri gets to make all the decisions? I just wish they would address some of the real issues people wonder about polygamy, rather than just their sad little jewelry business and whether Robyn will have another baby. Better yet, just explain their fabulous idea for paying the mortgage on four homes ones the show is over, which should be any day now. 

• Love 3
Oh, by the way, in case you didn't know, this was a very busy week for the Browns.  (How many times did they have to tell us that.... 8 or 9?)

Kody acts like we should feel sorry for him, he acts like he is working a 12 hour shift in a coal mine instead of being busy because he is having fun celebrating occasions with family members. Talk about first world problems!

• Love 2
Robyn's passive-aggressive speech to Kody about not having another baby because she's so busy was the most blatant display of manipulation

Robyn doesn't want to actually do any real work, that's why she's desperate for the asinine jewelry "business" to be a success. If forced to do real work she will most likely get pregnant to avoid it. If I were one of the other wives like Janelle I would be resentful of Kody for bringing her in as she has been a drain on their finances since she brought debt with her too.

• Love 3
(edited)

I would hope that in the event of Kody's sudden death that he has provided for all his families (note not for "everyone in his family") regardless of legal status. His non Mariah children should at least have a claim on his estate if not legally set down and the other wives would have/be wade down by the houses and the debts which are in their names only. I can't imagine what hell it would be to wade through the legal issues even if he has given medical decisions over to all his wives in committee. It's hard enough if its just one spouse and her kids that disagree, let alone their arrangements.  I suspect its only Meri who has the *legal* right to make those decisions, though I could be very wrong. Does anyone know if AUB having a fair few "mainstream" polygamists has any rules or guidelines for these situations?

You can create "as official as possible" extra martial relationships with everyone signing contracts and agreements at a lawyers office, as was/still is often the case for long term same sex couples with kids who couldn't be acknowledged by the government, but it costs a lot of money, which Kody might not have been willing to spend.

Didn't Kody kiss Sobbin when they were dating?

Yes *supposedly* she was the first wife/courtee who he'd ever kissed before they were married. Christine was shown as especially upset because she was heavily pregnant/in labor during that phase and she generally seems to be the one that takes their faith most seriously. Not only was Robyn a late addition after 16 years she also kissed (at least) Kody before they were married, picked a wedding dress with him against Brown tradition and showed up just in time for the TV cameras so there wasn't very long to get used to her before the show. I' d seriously like to know if that "Meri pushed Kody on to Robyn (possibly to gain an ally) " is true.

I also wish they;d go into detail about how they're all related and related by marriage. They have admitted the Kody/Janelle/Meri connections but not Meri and Christine's ties to Robyn and Robyn's ex husband's family I think.

Edited by Featherhat

As lax as they are about most things, I can't see Kody having set up a medical power of attorney with wives deciding by committee.  In most states it's a one person thing with some backups if the main person isn't available.  The minor children would be eligible for social security. I don't see Kody paying for life insurance  policies.  I think it something tragic happened to him tomorrow, they're all pretty much stuck fending for themselves.  Of course, they could easily get another season from TLC out of it. 

Robyn doesn't want to actually do any real work, that's why she's desperate for the asinine jewelry "business" to be a success. If forced to do real work she will most likely get pregnant to avoid it. If I were one of the other wives like Janelle I would be resentful of Kody for bringing her in as she has been a drain on their finances since she brought debt with her too.

She is probably the reason they are on TV; adding her as an addition to this mess. Maybe that is why they took on the debt (Kody: We will be TV stars and make tons of money to pay off her debt.) She just doesn't seem worth it, but maybe she was the only candidate desperate enough to go through with the marriage and TV show. After all she was a single mother living in a trailer with no heat with a large Victoria Secret credit card bill that needed to be paid off.

• Love 4
(edited)

I just wish they would address some of the real issues people wonder about polygamy, rather than just their sad little jewelry business and whether Robyn will have another baby.

That would actually be interesting, wouldn't it? Of course, it would require that the Browns face their own wack lives and address the REAL issues--something they just don't do. They'd rather live in la-la land and tell themselves there is something extraordinary about their lives, more so than the lives of we mere mortals.

Edited by NewBaku
  • Love 1
(edited)

And don't you want to slap Sobbin when she is crying about how "hard" she works? Doing what is what I'd like to know.

Spot on observation. No matter what responsibilities she now has, she knows firsthand that it's nothing compared to the actual workaday world. Robyn may be desperate to make MSWC a success so that she never has to face the specter of hand-to-mouth living again, but let's see her embracing this life she now has with GRATITUDE and PERSPECTIVE, for crying out loud. I'd drop my teeth if she actually smiled big for the camera and said, "Yeah, I have kids to take care of and I'm learning to be an entrepreneur, but it beats the hell out of being an under-educated single mother with nothing but a Victoria's Secret credit card to keep me company."

Edited by NewBaku
(edited)

1. For a brief, shining moment during this episode, I thought Robyn was actually being sensible.  Then I realized she was saying she couldn't have a baby...until they got some additional help with their Sisterwives' Closet business, not that she couldn't have another baby because they are five adults with exponential offspring and zero viable means of support outside of the rapidly-drying TLC gravy train.  So boo.

2. There was a moment during this episode when Kody said something particularly douchetastic and for a brief, hilarious second I thought all of the women were giving him the most prolonged, weariest death-stares ever.  Then I realized my computer was just frozen.

3. I don't hate the idea of Meri going back to school but I'd rather she discuss it in terms of potential for getting a decent job/income, rather than as something she's doing "for me."  (See point #1)

4. I have no particular love for either Meri or Robyn but I kind of did a Nelson Muntz "HAH-Hah!" when I realized Meri was bailing on the useless business venture.  I can see the cobwebs gathering in My Sisterwives' Closet already...

I normally like Janelle and she's my favorite of the bunch but if she had as much business acumen as she says she does wouldn't she know better than to walk into a meeting like that without any sort of prospectus or pitch or documentation.

I know what you mean...I tend to give Janelle (maybe unfairly?) the benefit of the doubt, though, because I think that even if she did attempt to get a prospectus together she has no real power in this relationship and attempting to wrangle those four other chuckleheads to agree on any aspect of it would basically be futile.  (Also, I don't think she has any real interest in starting this business.  At all.)  But another thing that bugged me was the way they were dressed for the meeting.  Jeans?  Really?  Nothing about them said that they took any of this seriously.

Edited by ladle
  • Love 1

Plus, Janelle doesn't give a shit about this business. Why should she have to do everything? The whole thing is so sophomoric. These people have no business sense and they will never get funding. If they were smart, they would all be going to college, or vocational training while TLC is footing the bills and get some sort of employable skills. Somehow I doubt that is going to happen. Dumbshits!

Meri has 1 kid (away at college) and 6 bdrms ?  She takes 1 and Mariah takes 1, so what's going on with the other 4 bdrms ?

If I were one of the older (other kids) I would totally ask Meri if I could move in with her.

If I were one of the older (other kids) I would totally ask Meri if I could move in with her.

Move in with that sourpuss?  I don't think the private bedroom would be worth it!

• Love 1

I don't watch this show so i don't understand why Meri has a 6 bdrm house ? I know the answer is 'because she can but why ?

I wonder if the other kids are actually spending nights there but it isn't shown on the  show because...

why 6 bdrm ?

Well, they were buying four houses in the same cul-de-sac of a sub-division. So I don't think Meri would have had an option to buy a 2 bedroom anyway. I think they had to be somewhat uniform. There were different options, however, that could add to the expense. And I believe Meri was the only one to go over budget? 

IMO, the best set-up is a large house with four apartments, similar to what they had in Lehi. This allows the kids better access to each other and their father. But we all know it's abusive to make wives share a kitchen (but sharing a dick is downright lovely). 

• Love 10

I don't watch this show so i don't understand why Meri has a 6 bdrm house ? I know the answer is 'because she can but why ?

I wonder if the other kids are actually spending nights there but it isn't shown on the  show because...

why 6 bdrm ?

If I were in Meri's position, I would demand a 5/6 bedroom house too if my sisterwives were all getting them. It's not about the number of bedrooms per se, it's that a house is an asset and I would deserve an asset that is of the same value as my sisterwives' houses. This family has no retirement, failing businesses, and a ton of kids going to college. A house (if they can keep up with the mortgage) and a car is really all these women get.

Meri will never say that this is the reason for demanding a same-size house despite not having as many children because women of FLDS-based cultures are socialized to have the appearance of being selfless and have a singular focus of serving their husband and caring for children. She can't say that she wants this large asset for her own financial well-being. I don't think she really cared for a wet bar. Supposedly, she wanted the wet bar to host family gatherings at her house. I believe that was just an excuse to get a larger house. She can't say that she wanted the 6 bedroom house because it was worth more and she wanted a larger asset in her name because it's frowned upon for a woman to look out for herself. She had to say that she was focused on family and wanted a house that had features for family gatherings (like a wet bar and a larger dining room)...and if such a house were to be of greater value, well...

I'm Team Meri on this one. What she did is certainly selfish considering that she really needed to have switched houses with Janelle or lived with Robyn, but in a family led by a man as financially irresponsible as Kody, self-preservation dictates that she try and collect assets in her name whenever she can. I'd do the same thing to try and secure my future. I would also have a full-time job or be pursuing a business in addition to the TLC job to make sure that my mortgage was paid instead of putting money into college tuition for a low paying career (social workers in NV average $39k), but that's me. 

I think if they are going to lose any of the homes, they will lose the homes in the single mother's names. Their best hope is keeping the home in Meri and Kody's name (the one that they made the largest one). But I still think they will lose everything and head back to the Lehi plig home, where the threee single mothers will live with their kids, and Meri and Kody will set up shop in another house.

They had one basic house plan available with some limited options.  Meri was going to be in a five bedroom or more house no matter.  She did go for the largest house, but she's also the only one with Kody on the house also.  He could have been encouraging her in private to go for the most expensive house.

And when Christine called him out on that saying she was made to feel selfish....Kody backtracked by saying it was a joke!! I don't doubt that Kody would have encouraged Meri, privately, to go for the bigger house because both their names are on it. Having said that, it doesn't really matter, in three years they are all going to lose their houses anyway!

• Love 1

I thought Madison's hair looked really cute this season, and I'm glad that it looks like she might be on the show more often (based on the preview at the end).  I think the kids are probably the most interesting part of the show.

Especially...and I'm not being sarcastic...if one of them elopes, gets pregnant or reveals they're gay along with a partner. That's probably all that can save this shipwreck. Astonishing there's a Season 6. Who's watching anymore?

Who's watching anymore?

Thankfully some brave souls (who are probably eating Tums the whole time) on this forum who are keeping the rest of us (who are too squeamish to watch) up to date.  The Brown Clowns make me physically ill so I just ride along with the comments to keep up.

I doubt with the show salary that Meri will qualify for much aid. 

On paper she may not qualify, but I got the impression that the individual Browns don't get paychecks as ordinary employees do, but it gets deposited in a general fund. Unless Meri's in charge of it, she may not be considered a priority & just get enough to pay basic household expenses.

Aha yeah, Stupid me.I forgo about the show salary 

No, you are not stupid. It's not as if you lead their kind of life. It's bad enough the ones who are doing so seem as if they're unfamiliar with it.

They've said that they split things with five "salaries" for lack of a better word for each of the parents and then have at least two separate pots of money for things like college for the older kids and special or emergency items.  When they did the houses each wife had the same house budget and Christine has been told she had to fund a trip to see her mother out of her own budget (I think they called it her grocery money).

I don't know how much money the MLM is bringing in, but that is supposed to also be split evenly.  I can't imagine the SWC is bringing in any income, they're probably lucky if they break even on that mess. 

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Yep, I have to heartily agree with you. A shame Kody didn't/couldn't specify a commitment contract for each sister wife to contribute financially, whether it's cash or

job salary. Even though the ceremony is not legally binding, the contract can be. If she refuses to work, she's not welcome to stay. I also read somewhere that

Janelle cashed out her retirement funds for moving to Vegas, as I think Kody did, as well. What a damn waste! To set the record straight, no U.S. state has legalized

polygamy, not even Nevada. And even it the move was done for unpaid taxes or whatever...hey....Nevada is still a U.S. state where they can be prosecuted for such.