Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Delivery Day

Amy and Dina are both in labor. But while Glenn's manager status gets Dina the royal treatment at the fancy hospital, Amy and Jonah have a far different experience at a nearby (and cheaper) clinic. At Cloud 9, Garrett struggles to express his best wishes for the new parents.

Air date: November 1, 2018

I was pleasantly surprised that Dina didn't try to run off with the baby. I thought they were telegraphing it all season with her detachment during the pregnancy turning into affection; it's a common sitcom trope. I did like that she felt some degree of affection, although the "You can put it in its bin" made me howl. And her doctors WERE pretty cute. I liked that Jerusha was steady as a rock for her.

Having both pregnancies happen at the same time was a bit too cute, a bit too on the nose overall. Weren't the timelines for conception fairly far apart? Although I guess you can explain it away, since Amy was early and Dina was late.

Jonah continues to be the MVP of boyfriends. Offering to pay her hospital bills was pretty major. Amy wasn't as obnoxious this episode. Also her hair looked great. I hated how limp it looked last season. Adam was looking good, by the way. That facial hair does a lot for him.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 15

Was something that Amy had to go through in terms of insurance at all accurate? It is a comedy, but is there some kernel of truth? At the very least, do the good hospitals in the US have more attractive doctors?

I am a single guy and Canadian, so no clue. Besides, wouldn't Amy be used to this already? And where is her daughter? 

Those babies are adorable. 

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 8

Best scene of the evening, go back and watch it if you missed it. Blink and you will miss it.

Glenn is in the delivery room as they cut open Dina and play with her intestines. Glenn says something like "I didn't just throw-up a little in my mouth." Later they cut to Glenn again and if you look at his mask, you can see vomit dripping out of the bottom.

• Love 20
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't get why Amy won't tell Adam about her relationship with Jonah. I honestly am starting to dislike Amy. Sending Jonah away like that was really cold. She asked him to stay during the birth, he stayed, and then she kicked him out.

Before Adam arrived, Amy did tell Jonah everything she felt and all her reasons in a few small words in the middle of a contraction: it wasn't just sex, she had feelings and stuff but it wasn't fair to put pressure on him with the baby and everything. And Adam is the father, so that same sense of fairness to him and her baby is to let them bond without her dumb ex somehow doing a Bo and thinking having sex with Jonah while pregnant  could somehow make him not the dad.

She didn't send Jonah away, but couldn't ask him to stay. But she loved that he was there for her  throughout, and how different that was from her ex. They have a journey ahead of them, and as a viewer I've become invested in that.

• Love 24

The US healthcare system is scary and all the fuss about calling someone their gf/bf is so weird, especially after they have been dating and sleeping together for months.

Dinah had the best lines and her interaction with the baby was sweet. Good that they didn't make her change her mind about keeping it while still making it clear that she will look out for her in the future (at least thats how I interpret it).

The situation with Amy was complicated, but its not weird that she would bond a bit with Adam over the new baby and memories over their first born, if anything Jonah staying for the birth after Adam arrived should indicate that he is even more than just the boyfriend.

The other storyline with Garret was boring, but him asking Glenn if its ok to call him if he misses him was funny.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, memememe76 said:

Was something that Amy had to go through in terms of insurance at all accurate? It is a comedy, but is there some kernel of truth? At the very least, do the good hospitals in the US have more attractive doctors?

5 hours ago, Boofish said:

Its all comedy. If she had the same plan as Glen albeit lower tier she would have just paid more out of pocket AFTER the care had been administered. 

No hospital predicts a bill and then put out a women in labor because she can't pay up front. Also she should have been receiving prenatal care all this time and the hospital where your doctors have privileges contact you far in advance to get your insurance information. Amy would have known she needed to find care that takes her insurance. I'm assuming this was an episode to highlight what's wrong with the American health care system but in my girl from Friday voice "YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO LIE CRAIG." 

A good rule of thumb for this show is that "it's all comedy, but with a kernel of truth". Basically they take real issues and exaggerate them 1000% in order to fit them into a half hour sitcom episode with multiple plots. There is a real discrepancy in the healthcare system, but a more accurate presentation would just be sad and infuriating instead of wacky. Do we really want to see 12 episodes of doctors declaring procedures not medically necessary for Amy while approving it for Dina without a thought. Or spend the rest of the season dealing with the medical billing? It's pretty much as accurate as their presentation of any other issue, like with the employment contracts. In real life non-compete agreements for cashiers are a real thing, but they are far more  subtle and depressing than what was presented. Basically whenever you see something ridiculous on the show it's only loosely based in reality. Except for the crazy things the customers do - anything they can come up has been done sometime somewhere (usually Florida).

• Love 11
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Best scene of the evening, go back and watch it if you missed it. Blink and you will miss it.

Glenn is in the delivery room as they cut open Dina and play with her intestines. Glenn says something like "I didn't just throw-up a little in my mouth." Later they cut to Glenn again and if you look at his mask, you can see vomit dripping out of the bottom.

That and the lady stepping in the puddle where Amy's water broke!

• Love 10
46 minutes ago, Boofish said:

That and the lady stepping in the puddle where Amy's water broke!

Also, we got a hospital version of one of these "teaser" clips, when the two patients entangled their IV racks in the hallway. Brilliant!

• Love 14

Only Dina would think having a guy deliver your baby is a good way to get to know him. But it did lead to the glorious awkwardness of Glenn saying he was jealous of the doctor getting to check Dina's cervix. Mistaking the intestines for the baby's cute little arm was also hilarious. I loved the scene where Dina was talking to the baby in its bin. Not sentimental at all (because ... Dina), but there was something so touching about her giving the baby away so easily and yet still being willing to be there if she needs her.

12 hours ago, memememe76 said:

$20,000+ sounds fairly accurate,  but if you go to a hospital that's not in your insurance network, they won't give you the option of being treated there and paying cash unless it's an emergency; they'll just tell you to go to a hospital that your insurance does cover (or to a county hospital if you have no insurance). And even if it is an emergency, if they can stabilize you enough for transport, they'll do that and then send you away. The American healthcare system is motivated first and foremost by profit. Patient care is a distant second, if it even is second. The only thing that seemed off about it is that Amy didn't have an OB she'd been seeing throughout her pregnancy.

As for the attractiveness of our doctors, heh, no. Although a few months ago my mom was in the hospital and one of the doctors who'd seen her in the ER the first day was very handsome. After that she was asking me how many doctors she'd seen (it was up to five by the second day) and I was listing them for her and I described hot doctor as the "nice-looking" one, and my brother said I was acting like Elaine on the Seinfeld episode where she flirted with George's doctor by talking about tonsils. A couple of days later, hot doctor came to her room and said, "hi, do you remember me?" and I said, "YES YOU'RE DR. JOSHI!" and my brother cracked up because I ordinarily have to hear someone's name seven or eight times before I remember it. It was a stressful time. I apologize for nothing.

8 minutes ago, ae2 said:

Also, we got a hospital version of one of these "teaser" clips, when the two patients entangled their IV racks in the hallway. Brilliant!

It was weird that all those teasers had music playing in the hospitals, as if it were a Cloud 9, but when the IVs got tangled, somehow having it happen to Kiss From a Rose made it even funnier. I loved the one in the waiting room where the guy is sitting in front of a "Cover Your Cough" sign while he's hacking up a lung.

• Love 15
12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

That made me gag! I had to keep reminding myself it was probably applesauce. The recurring gag of the corpse roommate was the funniest part to me. "Is she sleeping with her eyes open?" "...yeah… Let's go with that."

So they're still doing will they/won't they with Jonah/Amy but now with defining their relationship? I thought the premiere already confirmed that. This is getting tiresome. And I know their dynamic is to have Amy be uptight while Jonah is more easy-going and affectionate, but it's wavering into borderline coldness. Having Amy fight their relationship at every turn and constantly keep Jonah at arms length isn't fun to watch. I was hoping we were finally out of that phase now that I thought they were officially together. Having her dig in on being emotionally withholding is starting to hurt their chemistry because it gives the impression she takes him for granted. Jonah has been nothing but accommodating to all her fickle mood swings and he's been vulnerable and honest with her from the beginning. It comes off like he's putting all the effort into both their courtship and now their not-relationship. Is their wedding episode just going to be Amy insisting that she doesn't know if they're there yet while Jonah desperately pitches himself and massages her cold feet 5 min. before they walk down the aisle? Your partner shouldn't perpetually have to convince you to be with them or wait around until you decide. I just wish Amy would show any kind of warmth or affection. Ironically, as they get closer to becoming a couple, I'm less and less sure that they should be. It's just kind of exhausting to watch him be totally loving and open towards her and her endlessly hedging about her feelings. They're not seventh graders. Jonah deserves more.

tl;dr I really don't like how they are writing Amy.

Normally I find Jerusha very irritating and unfunny as a character, but she was actually very sweet and endearing here. Trying to help Dina win over the doctor by saying she'd go gay for her. Convincing Glenn to go in the OR. Reassuring Dina with "They've got all kinds of fancy equipment in here. Computers and wires, the whole nine!" More Dina/Jerusha please.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 21
12 hours ago, Boofish said:

Its all comedy. If she had the same plan as Glen albeit lower tier she would have just paid more out of pocket AFTER the care had been administered. 

No hospital predicts a bill and then put out a women in labor because she can't pay up front. Also she should have been receiving prenatal care all this time and the hospital where your doctors have privileges contact you far in advance to get your insurance information. Amy would have known she needed to find care that takes her insurance. I'm assuming this was an episode to highlight what's wrong with the American health care system but in my girl from Friday voice "YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO LIE CRAIG." 

We know Dina had prenatal care because that's part of a surrogacy agreement and because we saw her taking hormones early on. We don't know for certain that Amy had prenatal care. She's an hourly retail worker. Bad insurance is often worse than Medicaid.

• Love 5

Well this was expected. Loved Dina's Grey's Anatomy comment. Loved Jonah's comment about how they sleep together and he's occasionally there for the birth of her baby. Feelings or not, if Adam can be dating/living with another woman, Amy can certainly tell him that's she's seeing Jonah. And yes, let's never see these babies again and move on.

• Love 14
24 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

So they're still doing will they/won't they with Jonah/Amy but now with defining their relationship? I thought the premiere already confirmed that.

In this episode it made sense at first! Even though they are dating and they really like each other, there's a big gap between "someone I've been dating for a few months" and "someone I want with me when I give birth to another man's baby." It even makes sense that they didn't think to talk about it, or that both of them were too uncomfortable and uncertain to bring it up.

Then they inserted some line about not really defining things that makes it seem like they're not even sure if they have feelings for each other or are just banging and that makes absolutely no sense from what we've seen of their relationship.

But I don't like how they're writing Amy either (and this was one of the better episodes for her!), and I think she's been an unpleasant character for a long time now.

• Love 4

I was too distracted the whole episode by wondering how the hell Amy had no clue which hospital she would deliver at. Or not even know one hospital that is in-network for her insurance. Where the heck was her OB? There is zero percent chance Amy would totally ignore prenatal care. 

• Love 20
7 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I was too distracted the whole episode by wondering how the hell Amy had no clue which hospital she would deliver at. Or not even know one hospital that is in-network for her insurance. Where the heck was her OB? There is zero percent chance Amy would totally ignore prenatal care. 

I agree. It was very unrealistic that Amy wouldn't have her own OB at her delivery. Or at least someone from the OB group. She seems too smart to forgo prenatal care, but you never know.

I know that clinic/hospital was supposed to be funny, but it was depressing as heck. Dead geriatric bodies in the same room where a woman was delivering a baby? People hacking and coughing in the waiting room? Normally, triage would give people a face mask at least to contain their coughs. 

9 hours ago, Aulty said:

Dinah had the best lines and her interaction with the baby was sweet. Good that they didn't make her change her mind about keeping it while still making it clear that she will look out for her in the future (at least thats how I interpret it).

Dina was surprisingly touching in that scene. And I loved that her kind words followed "put it in its bin."

11 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The C-section scene was a little too graphic for my comedy tastes. Do they really pull your intestines out like that? 

Ha. Glenn's drips were hilarious. And the C-section was much tamer than what you'd see on medical shows (Grey's Anatomy, The Good Doctor, etc)--but I guess people who avoid such shows do so for a reason. 

• Love 5

Come on, just have Amy and Jonah commit! They're obviously already boyfriend/girlfriend, so why not just make it official? I hope this doesn't turn into a love triangle, we just left another dang love triangle with Kelly! 

Awww Dina and the baby was sweet, and I loved how supportive Jerusha was. I thought that maybe Dina would get super attached at the end and freak out about giving her up, but her having a quick moment giving her very Dina like advice (if you find a pair of shoes you like, buy a bunch of pairs!) and then giving her over was much better and more in character. 

The Garrett plot was small, but it was funny seeing him freaking out, when Garrett is usually sort of the only sane man of the store, so seeing him giving into hijinks was pretty hilarious. So much pressure being the workplace funny guy!

The stuff with healthcare and the baby was clearly exaggerated for comedy, with them kicking poor Amy out while still in labor and treating her insurance card like a credit card that got maxed out at Oliver Garden, but there is definitely a kernel of truth in there. Health care really really is a mess and horribly unfair to people from working class or poor backgrounds, but in real life, I think it would just be Amy getting charged a crap ton of money after she already had the baby and left the hospital. 

• Love 9
41 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I thought this too! It was so unrealistic that I thought the whole thing might turn out to be an anxiety dream that Amy was having and that she would wake up at end.

That being said, the scenes between Amy and Jonah in hospital were quite sweet.

Loved Garrett throwing card in room at end!

• Love 9

My C-section was about $25k total and we paid a percentage out of pocket with our insurance.  Since the registration lady mentioned an anthesiologist she might have been quoting “worst case scenario” to Amy.

Amy might not have had regular prenatal care.  My cousins who are about as poor as they come went to community clinics for their bloodwork, a vanity place for the gender ultrasound, then checked into the ER once they went into active labor.

I agree that in real life the fancy hospital would not have kicked Amy out, but sent her a big bill after the fact that would eventually be written off as patient charity.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Plus now they do a global OB fee which covers basically everything through delivery (provided there are no complications or excessive amounts of sonograms), which you know about at your first visit where you are confirming your pregnancy.  This way you aren't being charged a copay for every single thing.

I work in benefits, $20k seems rather high especially since they live in the mid-west. I suppose the point was that was the Cadillac of hospitals vs the Chevy Nova of hospitals.  Which then begs the question, is Dina using her medical insurance to have the baby or is Glenn and Jerusha paying? I would think Dina and Amy would have the same insurance since I think they are the same level (or were the same level or maybe Dina is asst manager while Amy is supervisor?) It could be they have different plans because they chose different ones due to cost. 

18 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

Plus now they do a global OB fee which covers basically everything through delivery (provided there are no complications or excessive amounts of sonograms), which you know about at your first visit where you are confirming your pregnancy.  This way you aren't being charged a copay for every single thing.

I work in benefits, $20k seems rather high especially since they live in the mid-west. I suppose the point was that was the Cadillac of hospitals vs the Chevy Nova of hospitals.  Which then begs the question, is Dina using her medical insurance to have the baby or is Glenn and Jerusha paying? I would think Dina and Amy would have the same insurance since I think they are the same level (or were the same level or maybe Dina is asst manager while Amy is supervisor?) It could be they have different plans because they chose different ones due to cost. 

Generally health insurance from the biological parents would only cover the baby, but Glenn might have had a good enough plan to cover prenatal visits and the birth.  Some will.  If insurance covers in vitro fertilization they are more likely to cover the surrogate.  Dina wouldn’t be expected to pay for the birth out of pocket if she went through an agency.  Since I think I remember they had a lawyer draw up the agreements, I’m sure it covered birth costs.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Holy crap, $20K for a baby? What a racket. 

The C-section scene was a little too graphic for my comedy tastes. Do they really pull your intestines out like that? 

No they don’t pull your intestines out. They do however pretty much take your uterus out and place it on top of your abomen. I thought the whole Dina/Glenn/Jerusha plot was sweet, including her asking Glenn to be in the OR for her. 

I don’t think they are going to do another triangle with Amy, Jonah, and Adam. I got the feeling it was just the awkwardness of the situation and Amy trying to give Jonah some space if he needed it....I hope. 

• Love 8

Have the parents talked about the babies' names? I don't think I've heard anything about that. Maybe we can hear the names then finally be done with the baby stories.

• Love 2

I just looked at the cable-box description for next week's episode, and Amy REALLY needs to get her shit together, between having no clue what her hospital plan was in this episode and 

Spoiler

having no clue she has no maternity leave at work until AFTER GIVING BIRTH.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I just looked at the cable-box description for next week's episode, and Amy REALLY needs to get her shit together, between having no clue what her hospital plan was in this episode and 

Reveal hidden contents

How does she not know? Wasn't it mentioned in the Halloween episode?

• Love 4

My favorite random moment of this episode was Dina's choice of favorite, calming music being circus music.  

I realized this week how much the store itself, with the random background sight gags and such, adds to my enjoyment of the show.  I hope they don't plan on too many offsite, baby-centric episodes to come.  

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Or doesn’t she remember what went down they Cheyenne?

Yeah, I don't see how they're going to this sell this storyline when what happened with Cheyenne led to Glenn getting fired and everyone but Dina going on a walkout led by Amy and Jonah. That was an arc that spanned seasons 1 and 2, so it's going to be pretty difficult for them to explain why Amy doesn't know the policy now.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

Yeah, I don't see how they're going to this sell this storyline when what happened with Cheyenne led to Glenn getting fired and everyone but Dina going on a walkout led by Amy and Jonah. That was an arc that spanned seasons 1 and 2, so it's going to be pretty difficult for them to explain why Amy doesn't know the policy now.

I can come up with a couple of ideas straight away: 1. Amy had some of maternity leave for Emma working in the same company, so shocked to find work benefits worse than 15 years ago 2. Amy is a supervisor not associate and might have had better benefits. But the real villain here is a country less civilized than 185 U.N. countries out all 193  by not making it the law. Perhaps next time lead with that.

Edited by Circelily
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Circelily said:

I can come up with a couple of ideas straight away: 1. Amy had some of maternity leave for Emma working in the same company, so shocked to find work benefits worse than 15 years ago 2. Amy is a supervisor not associate and might have had better benefits. But the real villain here is a country less civilized than 185 U.N. countries out all 193  by not making it the law. Perhaps next time lead with that.

I don't remember what happened with Cheyenne, but it also sounds like Amy could have assumed that what happened there effected some sort of change.

Amy would still have FMLA rights.  Plus she has health insurance and all the big retail companies have short term disability insurance tied to that.  I can’t believe that on paper a long-time full time employee with benefits wouldn’t get anything.  Maybe they can tie it back to the suspension she had to take over the summer.  That would be believable to me, but might be too high level for the show.

• Love 1

I also noticed Glenn's dripping vomit - which was so gross but also so hilarious.

My husband was all 'i'm not sure i'm going to go into the OR' when I was being rolled in for my C section.  That did not go over well with me.  THen I spent the whole time saying to him 'are you ok?' 'you don't look so good'...as they're slicing ME open.  He had seen all the blood and just couldn't handle it (and he's in a job where he sees gore)....so I found that scene funny because I had been there.  

I'm also going to be annoyed if the Amy/Jonah relationship is already on its way out.  I thought it was really sweet that he left, actually.  

• Love 3
22 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Reveal hidden contents

It gets explained in the next episode.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:03 PM, iMonrey said:

Holy crap, $20K for a baby? What a racket. 

On 11/2/2018 at 4:58 PM, Trillium said:

No they don’t pull your intestines out. They do however pretty much take your uterus out and place it on top of your abomen. I thought the whole Dina/Glenn/Jerusha plot was sweet, including her asking Glenn to be in the OR for her. 

I don’t think they are going to do another triangle with Amy, Jonah, and Adam. I got the feeling it was just the awkwardness of the situation and Amy trying to give Jonah some space if he needed it....I hope. 

Actually, depending on positioning they will pull out your intestines.  Trust me.  I mean they put them back, but yes they can pull out fun things like your intestines and bladder.

• Love 7
On 11/2/2018 at 2:56 AM, AnimeMania said:

dear god, do they actually take out your insides for a cesarean? sound like infections and mishaps just waiting to happen. it's a wonder more women don't have issues after this or do they?   why did she not deliver naturally again? sorry, bad memory.   edited: oops i see someone already asked about the graphic scene!

Edited by msrachelj
add
  • Love 1
On 11/2/2018 at 9:32 PM, reallyjustjen said:

My favorite random moment of this episode was Dina's choice of favorite, calming music being circus music.  

Yes, that was one of the funniest bits of the entire show. I had to pause it. 

On 11/2/2018 at 3:51 PM, Saylii said:

Generally health insurance from the biological parents would only cover the baby, but Glenn might have had a good enough plan to cover prenatal visits and the birth.  Some will.  If insurance covers in vitro fertilization they are more likely to cover the surrogate.  Dina wouldn’t be expected to pay for the birth out of pocket if she went through an agency.  Since I think I remember they had a lawyer draw up the agreements, I’m sure it covered birth costs.

Yep. Birth costs may or may not be covered. We looked at surrogacy before I was able to successfully get pregnant with EDA and even with a willing unpaid surrogate, we were looking at potentially $60000-$80000. I believe there are special insurance policies you can buy for the gestational carrier, but they are pricey.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:22 AM, Kroliosis said:

Actually, depending on positioning they will pull out your intestines.  Trust me.  I mean they put them back, but yes they can pull out fun things like your intestines and bladder.

I admire the women who want a clear tarp, but I was good with not seeing a thing. 

I loved the way the show treated the issue of surrogacy in this episode. It would have been easy to go for the low hanging fruit, but instead they had Jerusha being incredible and supportive, and they had Dina completely comfortable with her decision. As someone who checks the "it's complicated" box when it comes to babies, it was refreshing.

As someone who has had a couple of babies, I just hate delivery scenes.

I do not find the jokes around them funny.

Also, how is Amy going to pay back Jonah?

She has a crappy job (which we know pays less than $20K a year), two kids to support, and an ex who is worse off than her employment-wise?

The debt will probably never be mentioned again.