Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: BoxLock, Le-Glue, FinalStraw, Bear Minimum

sadiegirl
  • Start Topic

Delivery lock, Lego glue, straw replacement, bear bowl.

So, straws are awful so let's dump 500000 on the ground for no reason. They could have made the same point a different way. 

(First time starting a topic. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong...)

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, sadiegirl said:

Delivery lock, Lego glue, straw replacement, bear bowl.

So, straws are awful so let's dump 500000 on the ground for no reason. They could have made the same point a different way. 

(First time starting a topic. I'm sure I'm doing it wrong...)

They did say they were used straws that they dumped... that the artist uses to make straw based art installations...

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, roctavia said:

They did say they were used straws that they dumped... that the artist uses to make straw based art installations...

Oops. I guess I did not hear that part. 

I have had Amazon boxes on my porch overnight. Is theft of delivery packages that big of a problem?

• Love 2

Nice to see the guy from Ring show up and get a little "revenge" on the Sharks.  Turning him down 5 years ago was the biggest goof in Shark Tank history.  I wasn't too impressed by any of the products this week.  I think I could go my whole life without any of these items and never feel like I missed a thing!

Paper straws cost 4 times more than plastic straws?  That seems weird.  I would have thought that a replenishable paper product would be much cheaper than a petroleum product.  Maybe because no one's set up for truly mass production of paper straws, while plastic straws have been optimized for years?  I don't know.  I DO know that I'm not going to walk around with a $20 straw in my pocket in case I need to wet my whistle.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, sadiegirl said:

Oops. I guess I did not hear that part. 

I have had Amazon boxes on my porch overnight. Is theft of delivery packages that big of a problem?

It’s always on the news, but I don’t have any stats to back it up. I live in a condo, so it’s not an issue for me, but I’ve seen many news items of people who’ve had their packages stolen off their front porch. 

ETA I just read a stat that stated that 30% of Americans said they had a package stolen from their home. I don’t know what Canadian stats are. 

Edited by hula-la
I found a stat.
  • Love 4

I have had a package stolen once.  I work from home so I am usually here to receive deliveries.  One long weekend when we went away, I forgot I had ordered a monogrammed item from LL Bean.  It was delivered while I was gone, but I got the notification it was there.  I called my mom to please swing by the house to grab it the next day...it was gone.  When I got home, I called LL Bean and explained that I’d need to reorder and expedite shipping.  The wonderful customer service lady reordered it & did not charge me for the second item!  I did pay for overnight shipping, but so worth it.  So, now if I know I’m going away, I either don’t order stuff, or I stop my mail temporarily. Problem solved for me without having to buy $$$$ gadgets.

Re. Plastic straws...I realize this is a big environmental problem.  I think instead of coming up with a new product to replace the plastic, we should all just try to change our consumer behavior.   I don’t need a straw to drink my ice coffee or ice tea.  Straws are not required to drink. People drink beer and soda from cans/bottles without straws.  I can pour my drink of choice into my own YETI and sip it out of the lid. And if cafes and restaurants would allow diners to bring their own travel mugs for purchased drinks, we could eliminate paper/plastic/styrofoam cups too. I will easily opt to NOT take a straw versus paying $20 for a metal straw and remembering to keep it with me.  

So glad the kid got a deal.  Great idea that really does solve a problem!  

• Love 7

I'm surprised the package security system man didn't take the Ring man's deal.    It needed tweaking, but unfortunately the company owner will never get the money to do this.    Lori would have been a great choice too, and I think a combined offer from Jamie (spelling?), and Lori would have been great for QVC, and a lot of people would have done this.  

The sharks were right, if you look on Amazon there are knock offs available of this product, and all are cheaper, and rated higher too.   

Loved the kid, and think Lego will be so happy to license this, and I'm sure will sell a ton to people who already have the blocks taking over their floors.  

I think Camping World/Gander Outdoors, and Marcus Lemonis would be a great partner for the cooking pots.       I'm sure a lot of RVers, and campers would love to have these, and backyard BBQers will like it too.   With great marketing, and licensing it could be a home run. 

• Love 2

I pity the poor fool who would steal my Walmart boxes - full of kitty litter and cheapo cat food.  They languish by my front door until I can open them, and drag that shite into my house.  Then I have to break down the cardboard boxes for recycling AND pop all those annoying plastic balloon buddies to recycle back to Walmart after I pop them.  Delivery is hardly worth the effort.  :-(

• Love 7
5 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

pop all those annoying plastic balloon buddies

I have an instant popper and destroyer of the plastic balloon things. His name is Scooby-Doo. He HATES them!

The Ring was indeed the worst goof on the Sharks’ part. That thing is on TV all the time, so no doubt he’s doing gangbusters. 

3742CCA9-60B4-49FE-AE9F-8629300771A1.jpeg

• Love 18
12 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I have had a package stolen once.  I work from home so I am usually here to receive deliveries.  One long weekend when we went away, I forgot I had ordered a monogrammed item from LL Bean.  It was delivered while I was gone, but I got the notification it was there.  I called my mom to please swing by the house to grab it the next day...it was gone.  When I got home, I called LL Bean and explained that I’d need to reorder and expedite shipping.  The wonderful customer service lady reordered it & did not charge me for the second item!  I did pay for overnight shipping, but so worth it.  So, now if I know I’m going away, I either don’t order stuff, or I stop my mail temporarily. Problem solved for me without having to buy $$$$ gadgets.

Re. Plastic straws...I realize this is a big environmental problem.  I think instead of coming up with a new product to replace the plastic, we should all just try to change our consumer behavior.   I don’t need a straw to drink my ice coffee or ice tea.  Straws are not required to drink. People drink beer and soda from cans/bottles without straws.  I can pour my drink of choice into my own YETI and sip it out of the lid. And if cafes and restaurants would allow diners to bring their own travel mugs for purchased drinks, we could eliminate paper/plastic/styrofoam cups too. I will easily opt to NOT take a straw versus paying $20 for a metal straw and remembering to keep it with me.  

Absolutely!! Whenever we go to Johnny Rockets, I decline the straw.  

I guess I am the only one who thought Le-Glue was a bad idea. I have a 9-year-old. If we glued his creations, they would require more space. I doubt he would rebuild as often, and the idea of soaking the builds in water and then drying off Lego bricks gives me a headache. 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 6

I wish I could be a fly on the wall at the meeting where they realize they are trying to license glue to a company that just made a huge movie about glue being evil. (It will probably work well. I'm just enjoying the irony.)

As someone who enjoys backpacking I must say that folding pot sounds pretty handy. Even a small lightweight aluminum pot is just unweildy in a backpack.

Daymond John has connections to doomsday preppers? What?

• Love 4

I thought the Le-glue kid was obnoxious, but then, I'm a child-hating cat lady spinster.

The problem with the box lock is the time it adds to delivery. I worked as a seasonal driver helper for UPS for the Christmas season five years ago. Drivers are timed for their overall route and how long they stop at each house/apartment complex/business/etc. Scanning and opening that lock, and then opening the box, putting the package in the box, closing the box, putting the lock back on the box...yeah, no. Say that adds one minute to each delivery and the driver has 15 homes that have that lock. That adds 15 minutes to his route. No way will the delivery carriers sign on to that. It changes all kinds of metrics. Not happening.

I can see it being used in other industries that use padlocks. Maybe in self storage--people could rent locks from the management.

• Love 9

I liked Emma the straw whisperer and I thought the product had some potential.  A lot of people use straws for various reasons - because they have no choice medically, because they don't want to get coffee/tea stains on their teeth, don't want their lips to touch potentially unclean cups and glasses, whatever.  Carrying around a little metal straw like that doesn't seem like a big deal, and these people might appreciate it.  I might get one, because I am (slightly!) germaphobic, and $20 for a reusable item doesn't seem like a lot.  I also liked the mermaid and the 2 handsome men A LOT. 

I'm not at all a fan of family drama and/or tears, so the constantly interrupting pot woman was annoying to me.  I thought in addition to camping, a version of the foldable pot might have some application in third world countries, where women have to carry pots.

I thought the Lego glue kid was super annoying, and it's not a product we would have used, Lego creations by their nature are temporary.  I felt sorry for the extraneous sister. 

Generally, my understanding is that the focus of the show has changed - instead of wading through entrepreneur submissions, they just scroll through kickstarter to find things.  I used to really like seeing interesting products, and I've purchased quite a few over the years.  A lot of these newer ones, though, I think are premature.  I wonder how many deals actually get done after the show is over. 

• Love 8

What’s going on with Mark Cuban’s hair?

What did Lori wear before dresses with random cut-outs and slits were “in fashion”?

Over-rehearsed pitches are annoying. That boy’s over-rehearsed pitch was exceptionally annoying.

13 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Plastic straws...I realize this is a big environmental problem.  I think instead of coming up with a new product to replace the plastic, we should all just try to change our consumer behavior.   I don’t need a straw to drink my ice coffee or ice tea.  Straws are not required to drink. People drink beer and soda from cans/bottles without straws.  I can pour my drink of choice into my own YETI and sip it out of the lid. And if cafes and restaurants would allow diners to bring their own travel mugs for purchased drinks, we could eliminate paper/plastic/styrofoam cups too. I will easily opt to NOT take a straw versus paying $20 for a metal straw and remembering to keep it with me.  

Also, maybe it’s because I am the daughter of immigrants, but I reuse plastic forks, spoons and straws, as my parents do. I think we bought a milkshake that came with a large caliber (?) or diameter straw. So when my son drinks his milk at home, he always uses that straw, which cleans up nicely in the dishwasher. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I thought the Lego glue kid was super annoying, and it's not a product we would have used, Lego creations by their nature are temporary.  I felt sorry for the extraneous sister.

I so agree about the poor sister. I kept thinking that dear ol' Dad and lil' Champ spend all their time together and the daughter is all but abandoned. I hope they save some of that Le-glue money for therapy for Sis.

2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

What did Lori wear before dresses with random cut-outs and slits were “in fashion”?

Those ugly body-con "optical illusion" dresses.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I wonder how many deals actually get done after the show is over. 

You can Google “Product XYZ After Shark Tank” and Gazette Review does a good job of keeping up to date.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 4

I'm a little surprised there was no discussion with the Straw People about getting their costs down. $20 for this straw is way too much, but at $9.99 they might sell. 

Lego glue kid has a product that is a great play for Lego themselves to license. Put a small bit of glue in those kits so the kids who built a Millennium Falcon or Hogworts can keep it together. This wont make them a bazillion dollars, but it will pay for those two kids to go to college.

The fold flat camping pots are a great idea, but its essentially a backpackers item, and less a generic camping item. Campers have access to cars lots of time, those people don't really need this item. But anyone into backpacking or scouting, this could be a hugely popular item. 

I really had a problem with the front door lock guys, This only works if UPS/FedEx/USPS etc. climb on board. And I don't see any real advantage for them to do this. Only way I can see it working is to give the carriers a royalty for every package they scan and leave locked. And I don't see that happening. 

• Love 2
On 10/8/2018 at 12:01 AM, Gregg247 said:

Paper straws cost 4 times more than plastic straws?  That seems weird.  I would have thought that a replenishable paper product would be much cheaper than a petroleum product.  Maybe because no one's set up for truly mass production of paper straws, while plastic straws have been optimized for years?  I don't know.  I DO know that I'm not going to walk around with a $20 straw in my pocket in case I need to wet my whistle.

Yeah, that really didn't appeal to me either. Besides the cost, the idea of it kind of grossed me out. I assume you take it with you, use it, and then shove the wet, dirty straw back in its box and if you don't remember to wash it as soon as you get home, it's all gross and damp inside the box. 

It seems like one of those things people would buy based on the pitch and concern for the environment, but then never really use.

It's kind of sad that as I was considering this pitch, the very real (and free) option of simply not using a straw didn't initially cross my mind, ha! 

Perhaps a better product would be a little packet of non-toxic, biodegradable wipes to use on the rim of a restaurant glass before drinking out of it and use the same marketing pitch and packaging to advertise them. 

I pity the poor fool who would steal my Walmart boxes - full of kitty litter and cheapo cat food.  They languish by my front door until I can open them, and drag that shite into my house.  Then I have to break down the cardboard boxes for recycling AND pop all those annoying plastic balloon buddies to recycle back to Walmart after I pop them.  Delivery is hardly worth the effort.  :-(

Ha, just last week I checked my Amazon delivery status for a missing package and it said "handed directly to resident" which meant it was clearly given to someone else, since I was the only one home that day (unless the cats have learned to open the door and accept packages). I was pissed and was beginning to follow up with Amazon, when the box appeared on my porch a few days later. I guess the toilet light I'd ordered was not quite to the package thief's taste, so they returned it to me. ;)

The problem with the box lock is the time it adds to delivery. I worked as a seasonal driver helper for UPS for the Christmas season five years ago. Drivers are timed for their overall route and how long they stop at each house/apartment complex/business/etc. Scanning and opening that lock, and then opening the box, putting the package in the box, closing the box, putting the lock back on the box...yeah, no. Say that adds one minute to each delivery and the driver has 15 homes that have that lock. That adds 15 minutes to his route. No way will the delivery carriers sign on to that. It changes all kinds of metrics. Not happening.

Yeah, anything that requires a huge shift in consumer or deliverer behavior (straw pitch had the same problem) is unlikely to be huge out of the gate. Also, the guy's pitch was really terrible. He was defensive and said all the wrong things.

Plus, there was something about the "we're working with all the delivery systems to get tracking numbers, etc" that just sounded like a whole lot of moving pieces that could easily go wrong. Whichever shark said that if the scan didn't work on the first try, the driver would simply leave the box and move on was very likely correct. 

The flat folding cooking pot made me nervous for some reason. It looked like cloth with a metal bottom, something about it made me think I would not want to attempt to use one or to eat anything cooked in one. This was the pitch with the crying woman, right? I couldn't exactly follow her story, was it a different product that they'd attempted to bring to market back in '08 or this thing? And I'd initially assumed she meant that 2008 was a terrible time to bring anything to market, because it was, but then it turned out that someone took all their money? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

Ha, just last week I checked my Amazon delivery status for a missing package and it said "handed directly to resident" which meant it was clearly given to someone else, since I was the only one home that day (unless the cats have learned to open the door and accept packages). I was pissed and was beginning to follow up with Amazon, when the box appeared on my porch a few days later. I guess the toilet light I'd ordered was not quite to the package thief's taste, so they returned it to me. ;)

I wonder if they delivered it to the wrong address, and that person realized it and dropped it to your door.  I'm in a duplex section of an apartment complex, and a while back, they showed a package had been delivered to me when I was home all day and didn't get anything.  I called them (it was delivered by Amazon Logistics) and their GPS tracking showed the driver turned down a block before my place and stopped where my street loops back to meet the road he turned on.  They couldn't send the driver back unless the person who received it called, and they couldn't tell me who got it.  They gave me a refund then two days later, the complex office called to say another resident turned in the package.

• Love 3

What always makes me smile/laugh when people talk about the environmental impact of plastic straws is that growing up, all of our straws were paper.  But then, technology, etc., started the change to plastic.  Once again, we are going full-circle.  I would never use the folding straw that they showed.  Whatever was used in the straw would get over hands, etc., when folding back the metal straw.  Oh, and here's an idea, why not address the plastic item that really takes up space in landfills and is causing environmental concerns-disposable diapers?

I agree with others that the young boy was too over-rehearsed and bordering on obnoxious.  Oh, and there were a few times that the father's lips were moving along with the son's.

I remember when Jaime was on with his video door bell.  I thought at the time that the Sharks made a mistake.  But, as I recall, they could not imagine why anyone would need such a thing.  Of course, they all live behind gates or in buildings with a doorman.  They would have no idea that some people might want the visual of who is at their door.

• Love 9
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:01 AM, hula-la said:

It’s always on the news, but I don’t have any stats to back it up. I live in a condo, so it’s not an issue for me, but I’ve seen many news items of people who’ve had their packages stolen off their front porch. 

ETA I just read a stat that stated that 30% of Americans said they had a package stolen from their home. I don’t know what Canadian stats are. 

My mail goes to a PO box because of all the mail theft in the area (not just packages). Although not stolen, packages still get lost a lot. I have had my bear-proof trash can stolen from the front porch, so I don't think I'd want packages delivered here still.

Also, no one asked what was going to stop a thief from just grabbing the whole lock box, then figuring out how to break the lock later?

Edited by eel2178
  • Love 11
34 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

Also, no one asked what was going to stop a thief from just grabbing the whole lock box, then figuring out how to break the lock later?

Because I doubt the Sharks ever have to worry about having packages stolen from their porches. I’d love it if they’d get normal, average people like us to be there to ask the questions.

• Love 4

I recently learned that straws are actually better for the teeth if drinking soda or other sugary drinks. But the straw on Shark Tank was too expensive, would get messy and gross with sugar in between uses (if you weren't near a dishwasher after eating) and just not as convenient as the regular straws.

• Love 4

I had ads for the folding straw + case all over my Facebook this summer. Probably because I had just ordered a 4-pack of stainless steel (non-collapsible) straws from Amazon, and nothing is secret on the internet. The pack of straws was definitely less than $20, came with its own brush for cleaning, and the package did not get stolen. :P

As soon as the package padlock guy started talking about the delivery guys scanning the package with the padlock scanner and adding extra steps to their process, Mr. Fourth and I both yelled at the TV that that was never going to happen. It's well documented that UPS is up their drivers' butts about speed and efficiency, and I'm sure the other carriers are the same. They're not going to add in that extra step. They're just not.

• Love 4

You have to put a dab of glue on each piece of the lego structure? What a pain! Some of those constructions have LOTS of pieces. And sometimes you screw up or just want to change up some pieces, so what then? And a couple pieces still fell off when he dropped it! And the container was not very big for $9. And... okay you get my point. 

Also, I like original recipe sharks.  

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I so agree about the poor sister. I kept thinking that dear ol' Dad and lil' Champ spend all their time together and the daughter is all but abandoned. I hope they save some of that Le-glue money for therapy for Sis.

I actually noticed that Jamie (or one of the Sharks) made a point of mentioning the sister's name when complimenting the product. I wondered if she actually was involved in the business and deserved the compliment, or if they just invited her to be on TV with them. It sounded like it was the boy's own invention/business.  But I thought it was very nice of Jamie to notice and mention her.

12 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I’m glad the bear got to weigh in.

That bear cracked me up.  Especially when he cheered for getting a deal and you could tell from the people's faces they didn't think it was a good deal.

6 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Not liking the new shark. Is either Barbara or Robert not on this season, or just on less to rotate with new guy.

They are both in promo pics for season 10. I think they are just doing the rotating guest shark thing again.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, augmentedfourth said:

I had ads for the folding straw + case all over my Facebook this summer. Probably because I had just ordered a 4-pack of stainless steel (non-collapsible) straws from Amazon, and nothing is secret on the internet. The pack of straws was definitely less than $20, came with its own brush for cleaning, and the package did not get stolen. :P

As is typical with Shark Tank shows, some well-intentioned entrepreneur comes along trying to save the environment with a reusable item. Forgetting of course that (like your straws) the reusable item pretty much always predates the disposable one. So they haven't invented anything. They've uninvented convenience.

• Love 4

I was at the hospital for a minor procedure Monday, not only did they have plastic straws, but plastic lids and styrofoam cups! We’re all going to die! LOL

I have tried the paper/cardboard straws, they suck. Because you have to suck harder to get any liquid.

• Love 3

The glue container looked like the pouches they put applesauce and other fruit/veggie purees in for kids.... poor toddler is going to get a mouthful of glue!!

I think it could have some uses, though most legos actually stay together pretty well, especially if they are collectors that aren't going to be handled- we have several star wars lego sets hung from our ceiling that stay together just fine without any sort of glue. The other kid stuff should be taken apart frequently. Hubby also pointed out that a lot of legos have sticker decorations, which wouldn't hold up in water. I don't think Lego will pick this up, but some of the smaller building block companies might. 

There are ton of re-usable straws on the market- metal, silicone etc.... and a lot cheaper. I don't think the folding one is all that exciting. 

• Love 3

I've seen the folding straw before ... I guess they've gotten traction before this episode aired.  I think there is a market for it, and although I don't know if men would carry that with them, a lot of women would be fine having one in their purse.  I'd like it more if it were cheaper (of course!). They could sell it at Starbucks and Bed, Bath and Beyond. I also see it being a fun, customizable, promotional item.  Sell them to the promo people, and then companys can order them with logos and give them out at trade shows, college fairs, gyms, etc., just like they give away pens, USB drives, stress balls, etc.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, augmentedfourth said:

As soon as the package padlock guy started talking about the delivery guys scanning the package with the padlock scanner and adding extra steps to their process, Mr. Fourth and I both yelled at the TV that that was never going to happen. It's well documented that UPS is up their drivers' butts about speed and efficiency, and I'm sure the other carriers are the same. They're not going to add in that extra step. They're just not.

They'd much rather sit in their trucks and throw the packages in the general direction of the doorstep. They don't put a whole lot of effort into where it lands. Being able to aim for a box on the porch is probably an impossibility. Once it lands, his invention would need to scan the package, open the box, capture the package, then relock itself before UPS will be interested in using it.

• Love 3

A lot of bad ideas in this episode.

Delivery box.  No fucking way is a UPS driver going to take the time to fiddle with the padlock thing. The scanning technology may work but only if the scanner reads the bar code while the driver is approaching the porch or walking by the box and then it automatically pops open the box and automatically closes and locks it after the driver drops in the package. It's got to be hands free for the driver. The technology I'm suggesting should actually not be that hard to implement. 

Lego glue.  This might work with older kids or adults who have the dexterity and patience to apply a dab of glue carefully to eat lego connection. I don't see the average kid using it. And while they said you could soak the legos in water to dissolve the glue, did they say what happens when kids drip the glue all over the floor or carpet?

Foldable straw. I rarely use straws, so I may be missing the market, but are people that dedicated to drinking stuff through a straw that they'd carry a foldable one in their pocket or on their keychain and then wash it out between each use? I don't see it. 

Bear bowl. I camp and backpack and I don't even see the value in this. Car campers can bring regular camping cookware and backpackers can get by with a single titanium pot.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 3
On 10/8/2018 at 6:45 AM, BusyOctober said:

i totally agree was going to say the same. we need to see we dont need straws. i actually use metal and glass straws at home. no biggies, but need to wash them. when im out i dont carry them because i dont want a wet straw in my bag and its a pain to wash them when not at home. i live in the portland metro area so most places i go dont give you straws anyway with a drink. unless its starbucks. its a problem for sure, but i think we just need to not use as much straws. also i listened to a pice on NPR, in regards to starbucks not giving them out. i guess alot of advocate groups for the disabled have said that isnt fair because some people must use a straw. so if anything give them to people if requested, the new lids they have work pretty good without straws anyway. 

• Love 1
On 10/8/2018 at 3:24 PM, bilgistic said:

I thought the Le-glue kid was obnoxious, but then, I'm a child-hating cat lady spinster.

The problem with the box lock is the time it adds to delivery. I worked as a seasonal driver helper for UPS for the Christmas season five years ago. Drivers are timed for their overall route and how long they stop at each house/apartment complex/business/etc. Scanning and opening that lock, and then opening the box, putting the package in the box, closing the box, putting the lock back on the box...yeah, no. Say that adds one minute to each delivery and the driver has 15 homes that have that lock. That adds 15 minutes to his route. No way will the delivery carriers sign on to that. It changes all kinds of metrics. Not happening.

I can see it being used in other industries that use padlocks. Maybe in self storage--people could rent locks from the management.

that kid was the worst. i wonder sometimes how a child becomes that way, it creeps me out. i have a 3 year old and if he becomes a used car salesman at 9. idk i love mine so maybe i wouldnt care so much LOL. 

i thought the same thing about the lock, no way drivers will be into this. and im sure it will fail with the scan all the time OR the box wont fit in the lock box and its left out anyway. 

On 10/8/2018 at 6:32 PM, mjc570 said:

I liked Emma the straw whisperer and I thought the product had some potential.  A lot of people use straws for various reasons - because they have no choice medically, because they don't want to get coffee/tea stains on their teeth, don't want their lips to touch potentially unclean cups and glasses, whatever.  Carrying around a little metal straw like that doesn't seem like a big deal, and these people might appreciate it.  I might get one, because I am (slightly!) germaphobic, and $20 for a reusable item doesn't seem like a lot.  I also liked the mermaid and the 2 handsome men A LOT. 

I'm not at all a fan of family drama and/or tears, so the constantly interrupting pot woman was annoying to me.  I thought in addition to camping, a version of the foldable pot might have some application in third world countries, where women have to carry pots.

Generally, my understanding is that the focus of the show has changed - instead of wading through entrepreneur submissions, they just scroll through kickstarter to find things.  I used to really like seeing interesting products, and I've purchased quite a few over the years.  A lot of these newer ones, though, I think are premature.  I wonder how many deals actually get done after the show is over. 

i use glass straws at home. they work great and you can see when they need to be cleaned vs the metal ones. i use a little bristle brush to clean them out. i use them with green smoothies, so i clean them almost daily. https://www.amazon.com/ALINK-Smoothie-Reusable-Drinking-Milkshakes/dp/B07CRCYHZ7/ref=asc_df_B07CRCYHZ7/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241948599983&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5629387867558682557&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1024479&hvtargid=pla-454311065205&psc=1

i thought the pot itself wasnt aesthetically pleasing. but they could definitely go the charity route. 

On 10/8/2018 at 8:09 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Over-rehearsed pitches are annoying. That boy’s over-rehearsed pitch was exceptionally annoying.

Also, maybe it’s because I am the daughter of immigrants, but I reuse plastic forks, spoons and straws, as my parents do. I think we bought a milkshake that came with a large caliber (?) or diameter straw. So when my son drinks his milk at home, he always uses that straw, which cleans up nicely in the dishwasher. 

omg seriously. CUBE what did you do to youre hairs.... hes starting to resemble Bruce Campbell. which isnt a bad thing

• Love 4
On 10/10/2018 at 6:17 AM, Amarsir said:

As is typical with Shark Tank shows, some well-intentioned entrepreneur comes along trying to save the environment with a reusable item. Forgetting of course that (like your straws) the reusable item pretty much always predates the disposable one. So they haven't invented anything. They've uninvented convenience.

Good point. A couple of seasons ago, there was a pitch for a fitness lawn mower that was basically a push mower. The straw people would have to do a lot of consumer education to make this as viable as they're envisioning.

• Love 2
On 10/8/2018 at 4:55 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

Absolutely!! Whenever we go to Johnny Rockets, I decline the straw.  

Woohoo...Johnny Rockets!  They closed the one nearest me, so I'm bummed.

On 10/8/2018 at 11:09 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

He needs better hair advice.  It's too dark for a man his age.  But the other thing some men do as they age is this weird reddish color that I call the old man hair color.  Arnold Schwarzenegger has it, and I think that Frank Gifford had it.

On 10/9/2018 at 3:31 PM, ljenkins782 said:

The flat folding cooking pot made me nervous for some reason. It looked like cloth with a metal bottom, something about it made me think I would not want to attempt to use one or to eat anything cooked in one. This was the pitch with the crying woman, right? I couldn't exactly follow her story, was it a different product that they'd attempted to bring to market back in '08 or this thing? And I'd initially assumed she meant that 2008 was a terrible time to bring anything to market, because it was, but then it turned out that someone took all their money? 

Yeah, she kind of stammered through the story, and it was hard to follow.

On 10/9/2018 at 7:09 PM, eel2178 said:

I thought of that but then realized that a thief carrying a big lock box is very conspicuous, but more importantly, it's very inconvenient to transport.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I thought of that but then realized that a thief carrying a big lock box is very conspicuous, but more importantly, it's very inconvenient to transport.  

People who break into houses will rip a safe out of the wall and take it with them to open later. It isn't a big stretch to think someone driving around in a truck would grab lock boxes on the chance they contain something good in them, too.

• Love 2

My idea is to have someone in the neighborhood/subdivision take the deliveries and put them in their garage for pick up in exchange for a monthly subscription.  The person with the garage is home all day to receive the deliveries and notify the recipient that they have a delivery and to stop by and pick up their goods.  What do you think?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, outtahere said:

My idea is to have someone in the neighborhood/subdivision take the deliveries and put them in their garage for pick up in exchange for a monthly subscription.  The person with the garage is home all day to receive the deliveries and notify the recipient that they have a delivery and to stop by and pick up their goods.  What do you think?

Do a thorough background check first, to make sure he’s not a serial killer.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Woohoo...Johnny Rockets!  They closed the one nearest me, so I'm bummed.

He needs better hair advice.  It's too dark for a man his age.  But the other thing some men do as they age is this weird reddish color that I call the old man hair color.  Arnold Schwarzenegger has it, and I think that Frank Gifford had it.

Yeah, she kind of stammered through the story, and it was hard to follow.

I am sad for you!

Oh, you’re right; Arnold and Frank do have the same problem. It is weird and reddish, which is bizarre, since I don’t know a lot of young guys envying red-haired guys.

I am also wondering how big some of those lock boxes would have to be. Our lobby is often full of boxes containing queen-sized beds that will need assembly.

On 2018-10-08 at 9:45 AM, BusyOctober said:

I don’t need a straw to drink my ice coffee or ice tea.  Straws are not required to drink.

It never occurs to me to get a straw or that I need one for a drink.

On 2018-10-08 at 9:32 PM, mjc570 said:

A lot of people use straws for various reasons - because they have no choice medically, because they don't want to get coffee/tea stains on their teeth, don't want their lips to touch potentially unclean cups and glasses, whatever.

But if the glass was unclean, why would anyone even want to drink what was in it?

On 2018-10-08 at 11:09 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one saying that.

On 2018-10-09 at 9:16 PM, augmentedfourth said:

It's well documented that UPS is up their drivers' butts about speed and efficiency, and I'm sure the other carriers are the same. They're not going to add in that extra step. They're just not.

I'm in Canada,  and my dad lives in a large condo building.  Twice he's ordered something from Costco which was delivered via UPS. He was home all day both times. Once, he happened to notice the UPS truck outside and when he went down, there were stickers on everyone's mailbox "Sorry, you weren't home you'll have to come pick it up at the depot." They don't even try to ring doorbells,  they sure as hell won't work with a lockbox. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AEMom said:

I'm in Canada,  and my dad lives in a large condo building.  Twice he's ordered something from Costco which was delivered via UPS. He was home all day both times. Once, he happened to notice the UPS truck outside and when he went down, there were stickers on everyone's mailbox "Sorry, you weren't home you'll have to come pick it up at the depot." They don't even try to ring doorbells,  they sure as hell won't work with a lockbox. 

What a lot of apt and condo buildings have here is someone at a desk at the front door to take in packages. Then you pick it up from them. Secure, safe, UPS guys love it. And no, they were not going to mess with a lockbox. They’ll leave a note.

• Love 1

There are some type of lock boxes for porches already.    There was a sad news story where a child's chemo drugs were stolen off of a porch, and the insurance company replaced them, and someone donated a lock box that is left open for the prescription packages, and then is locked by the postman, and the box is chained to the porch.       There are also mailboxes where you pull the bottom slide out, and the entire base is a secure mail box storage, until you open the bottom with a key.     Sad you have to do this to protect your property.  

One solution I use for straws is when I get one of the bigger fast food straws I keep it, rinse it out, and reuse it.   I bought a couple of the straw cleaners, and that keeps them clean.   I also bought some of the plastic, BPA free mason jars and lids, and spare straws, so you can reuse those many times, and clean them with the straw cleaner, but usually holding the straw opening under the tap cleans them out very nicely.   

To me the biggest issue with the straw on the show is that there are very comparable products including the case, on Amazon, and they're available, and cheaper.    Some reviewers said if the drink top is stiffer plastic, then the plastic bottom of the straw is hard to get through the hole.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I think the lego glue is genius. I can’t even recall how many times my husband and son spent hours putting together complicated Lego sets only to find them breaking within hours of being put together because my kid actually tried to play with them. I was the horrible person rooting for the Will Ferrell dad with the kragle in the LEGO movie.....

Amazon has already solved the problem of stolen packages by creating pickup locations all over town where you can have your package delivered; not sure ups drivers are going to want to take the time to unlock and relock that box - most of the time they are on my porch for about 3 seconds.....

I love beverages in a cup with ice and a straw (oral fixation maybe?). I live in California and many places here are converting to those crappy paper straws. I freaking hate them! I am more than willing to carry my own plastic straw around, but not for $20. That thing didn’t even come with a device to clean it, and I wonder if the metal straw gives a metallic tinny taste to what you’re drinking?

I detest camping so I ignored the pot, plus I usually tune out the minute someone starts crying.....

• Love 2