Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Chat

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Why couldn’t Dre get Junior some kind of internship? Who brings their college age kid along to just sit there?

Agreed. That's where I thought the story was going. Junior would've come up with a great campaign, Dre would be jealous and sabotage it because God forbid he sees Junior as anything other than a nuisance. But we got this instead.

I appreciate them touching on the minefield of being Black in corporate America, but I was so distracted by how boring the show has become that the storyline didn't register. It's a shame because this used to be appointment television for me, but it's so wack now.

The characterization of Jack is so embarrassing. It's to the point where he needs a caretaker. It's unfunny and annoying.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Agreed. That's where I thought the story was going. Junior would've come up with a great campaign, Dre would be jealous and sabotage it because God forbid he sees Junior as anything other than a nuisance. But we got this instead.

I appreciate them touching on the minefield of being Black in corporate America, but I was so distracted by how boring the show has become that the storyline didn't register. It's a shame because this used to be appointment television for me, but it's so wack now.

The characterization of Jack is so embarrassing. It's to the point where he needs a caretaker. It's unfunny and annoying.

That's why I get so angry when they regress the characters to all of this. I mean, I get what the writers trying to deal with corporate America and yes, Dre put it perfectly: "I've gotten them to go from 70s Boston to 90s Boston." However, they all come off as just complete morons who would be resigning from their positions at this point. Even when Wanda Sykes guest appears, she comes off as not only a cliche, but a person who has no sense. Then you add in they don't know what to do with Junior and making him an intern would have made the most sense and moved the Gap Year to relevant story telling. However, we get... this. Jack has come to the point, I'm surprised he knows how to get dress, they have made him even stupider than Junior. Diane said it best to him: "Why can't you just function?" 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, readster said:

Jack has come to the point, I'm surprised he knows how to get dress, they have made him even stupider than Junior. Diane said it best to him: "Why can't you just function?" 

This reminds me of when Chandler said to Joey (on Friends), "How do you not fall down more?" The problem is when they take a quirk and magnify it to the point where it's impossible to understand how this person is able to put on their own pants and get themselves to work/school in one piece.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This reminds me of when Chandler said to Joey (on Friends), "How do you not fall down more?" The problem is when they take a quirk and magnify it to the point where it's impossible to understand how this person is able to put on their own pants and get themselves to work/school in one piece.

Right and so many shows do this. They did this was Alan on Two and a Half Men, Joey on Full House, Cody on Step by Step, ect. You would think at some point, the writers or producers would go: "Ok, this is ridiculous even for us." I'm just waiting for the time either Jack or Junior are: "why am I naked?" Random person: "Because you were getting dressed." "How do I get dress?" 

• Love 2
On 11/13/2018 at 8:34 PM, Irlandesa said:

Ridiculous.  They expect me to believe Jack knows Sinead O'Connor but not Prince? 

Junior would also know Sreve McQueen, but the film director, not the motorcycle-driver/actor.

On 11/14/2018 at 7:25 AM, gesundheit said:

I'm still worried about their poor, neglected dog.

Poor Buck!

On 11/14/2018 at 9:14 PM, Dee said:

Exactly! And it's not as if either Andre or Rainbow are any nicer to any of their other children. They're always referring to Jack as stupid and they literally run from Diane.

NABA (Not As Bad As) is always a weak defense.  But I know how you feel vis-a-vis these issues.

• Love 1

The Johnsons have a tradition of going to the movies on Christmas and they can never agree on what to see. Dre wants to see an important film about Rosa Parks, but they all want to see the latest action-packed superhero blockbuster. Meanwhile, Junior becomes embarrassed about taking a gap year after he runs into his ex-girlfriend Megan at the theater.

Airs December 11, 2018.

At this point in time, how do Jack and Junior even know how to speak English. I mean, really? This was just sad. Though Bow realizing that Dre is just a man-baby who wants attention all the time, well duh.

• Love 3

I liked this episode.  It felt like an season 2 or 3 episode.  I liked the banter between Bow and Dre.  It felt more natural and even her work antics weren’t over the top dumb. I liked the friendship storyline because it is so hard to make friends after a certain age.  I’m glad they didn’t make the friend a crazy person because they did connect on a personal and collegiate level.  Two weeks ago a work friend told me she was being promoted to my city and I literally did the same dance Bow did.  Friendships in your late 30s and 40s are hard to make.  

Eta: friend will probably never be addressed again but hopefully the writers won’t ‘Black Nanny’ her character was because it was nice to see Bow interact with someone.

Edited by LBS
  • Love 17

My main takeaway from this episode is that they seem to have finally got a good handle on Ruby. Mainly, she works best with the kids. But, that little twist that she was helping diane was really sweet just like her bonding moment with junior earlier this season.

• Love 9

Jack: Let me look up, "Men's room junk."

They really bombed with Junior and his gap year. Would've been better if Junior went to school nearby and he botched the dorm application and has to live home for a year. 

I thought Charlie knew all of Bow's info because he has a secret camera in the house. I forgot the family has a dog.

Wouldn't mind seeing the friend again but it's probably a one episode deal.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

My main takeaway from this episode is that they seem to have finally got a good handle on Ruby. Mainly, she works best with the kids. But, that little twist that she was helping diane was really sweet just like her bonding moment with junior earlier this season.

I had exactly the same thought last night.  She's infinitely more likable when she's with the kids because she truly loves them.

Junior should've gone to Stanford or Howard and just stayed there; they just don't know what to do with him.

It was refreshing that Dre had an iota of self-awareness last night and that he and Bow actually communicated maturely and lovingly.

• Love 3
On 12/5/2018 at 12:00 AM, LBS said:

Eta: friend will probably never be addressed again but hopefully the writers won’t ‘Black Nanny’ her character was because it was nice to see Bow interact with someone.

The lady that plays her might have greatly reduced appearances on the show she is currently on "Midnight, Texas".

• Love 2

Count me in as actually enjoying this episode, especially after the crapfest we've had this season. Stevens and the gang were mostly normal (except Charlie - I expect him to be cray) and I don't even think were sexist or racist once. And Dre actually made a realization about himself. I hope they continue moving forward but I worry next week they will be reset to default (aka awful).

And damn, I want some truffle fries!

• Love 3

I actually thought that was a pretty good episode, especially Dre realizing that he was actually the Broken Bird. And, in Dres case, a Broken Bird is a whiny, controlling man baby with the maturity of a two month old, who wont stop treating the people in his life like crap. His moment of self awareness was a breath of fresh air, even if it will certainly be forgotten about by next week. 

The cartoon bird, especially the Dre vulture, was hilarious. 

I really wish they would send Junior back to college, its clear they have no idea what to do with him. I like Junior, but seeing him wasted like this, and regressing as a character, is just depressing. It did lead to an actually nice moment with Ruby and Diane. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I really wish they would send Junior back to college, its clear they have no idea what to do with him. I like Junior, but seeing him wasted like this, and regressing as a character, is just depressing. It did lead to an actually nice moment with Ruby and Diane. 

Junior is not only regressing, him and Jack are becoming completely identical. Jack is functioning even worst than Junior at this point. The "Gap Year" was not planned out at ALL. Even the trigger was stupid. They found the stride with Ruby now, but I do believe the show does not know what to do with Junior or Jack outside of: "Well they are very brainless, that's funny! Right?"

• Love 2
6 hours ago, readster said:

The "Gap Year" was not planned out at ALL.

The way it's playing out, it feels like the writers had their first meeting for S5 and said, "Oh, shit, you guys! What are we going to do about Junior this year? Uhhh, anyone have ANY ideas? Gap year? That's a thing? Okay, let's do that!"

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The way it's playing out, it feels like the writers had their first meeting for S5 and said, "Oh, shit, you guys! What are we going to do about Junior this year? Uhhh, anyone have ANY ideas? Gap year? That's a thing? Okay, let's do that!"

Pretty much followed by:  "What do we do with Junior's Gap year?" "OH.. I got it, let's have him go to work with Dre and show why he works with a bunch of racist idiots who would either be out of jobs or in jail by now!" "Then we can do a 'very special episode'!" "Genius!"

Junior & Jack hanging out is always fun.

Diane being upset at being excluded, was a nice character bit for her.

Andre & Rainbow acted like rational adults for once. Refreshing.

Ruby for the win!

• Love 3
On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 10:57 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Prince: Short, pale, and pretty.

Yeah, no, a lot of Prince's music is far from suitable for kids Jack and Diane's age. Not sure this was the way to stage a tribute to him on Black-ish.

Diane doing Purple Rain in her glasses was everything though.

I know Dre's White coworkers are known to be culturally vapid but it's not remotely believable that they had no clue who Prince was. Maybe the show should've written that scene as them putting one over on Dre.

This seemed to me to be more about letting the cast do their Prince impersonations than anything else. At least they were lip synching (instead of actually singing) for the most part.

They're too young for prince? I was listening to him at younger than them.

• Love 3
On 12/5/2018 at 2:20 PM, ichbin said:

That tiger sweater costs $1,300.00.   Wait.  Let me rephrase that.  That ugly-ass tiger sweater costs $1,300.00.

ALL of Dre's sweaters are extremely expensive ($1,300 is about average) and extremely ugly.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:51 PM, AnimeMania said:

The lady that plays her might have greatly reduced appearances on the show she is currently on "Midnight, Texas".

On 12/7/2018 at 3:50 PM, Happytobehere said:

Her character left town last episode.

They had ONE black woman on the show, they gave her no more than 2 lines per episode (usually none) for 2 season's and just after giving a millimeter of backstory, they wrote her out.  "What's misogynoir, Mommy?"  (Fiji is the standard, not-too-black woman that shows will feature as "diversity".

• Love 1
On 11/29/2018 at 8:00 AM, Deanie87 said:

Dre's wardrobe is giving me Cosby sweater flashbacks and that is very unfortunate. 

Cosby's sweaters were neither extremely expensive (Dre's run about $1,300 on average!) nor extremely ugly.

On 12/4/2018 at 7:36 PM, thisistemporary said:

You guys nitpick more than a little bit.

Welcome to Television Witho... Previously TV!

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 4

This ep seemed lifted from another time of movie ticket buying.  In a bigger city like LA, I would imagine most theaters have switched to online ticket sales.  That's not to say that you can't buy a ticket at the cinema but for the opening weekend of an anticipated superhero movie on a big movie-going day, it's taking a big risk to just show up and hope to get seven tickets next to one another (where was Davante?).  Most of those tickets would already be pre-purchased. 

And even crazier is that five of those people could leave one movie theater to try to sneak into what is likely a sold out showing. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

I am so over Dre and his messages. This was painful to watch-he is absolutely tiresome! I used to be entertained by this program, not so much anymore. I don't need to be taught a lesson when I watch a comedy. There are plenty of available documentaries for that. And, I'm pretty familiar with the Rosa Parks story without seeinga full length movie about it. Time to delete this show from the DVR.

• Love 7

I thought this one was a little better than it's been lately. If I hadn't been on the treadmill I really wanted to rewind and write down that list of movies that Junior asked about -- where Dre and Earl immediately gave the "Yes, yes, yes, no, no..." etc to whether or not they can be considered black movies. I want to know which was which! (Though I have to say, what the hell is wrong with working at a movie theater? Why were they acting like that would be humiliating for Junior?)

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

I thought this one was a little better than it's been lately. If I hadn't been on the treadmill I really wanted to rewind and write down that list of movies that Junior asked about -- where Dre and Earl immediately gave the "Yes, yes, yes, no, no..." etc to whether or not they can be considered black movies. I want to know which was which! (Though I have to say, what the hell is wrong with working at a movie theater? Why were they acting like that would be humiliating for Junior?)

A guy I used to work with worked at a movie theater in high school and he said it was his favorite job. However, Junior can work in a movie theater in DC and go to class (actually, that would probably be a good job for a college student - he can work nights and weekends). Like @PupCal said, Junior dropped out, he's not taking a gap year. I've known people who took gap years and to a one, their gap years involved plans and/or jobs. Junior is sitting around doing nothing.

Basically, everything Junior is doing now, he could be doing at Howard while taking classes and "figuring out what he wants to do with his life" (including the ad agency internship - and actually, he'd probably get more out of that than he gets out of tagging along with Dre to work). If Marcus Scribner wants a check, I don't blame him - secure the bag! - but they need to give him something real to do.

My grandparents came up in the Depression so they were all about saving money. That meant no movie theater snacks. If we were going to the movies with them, we knew better than to ask about theater snacks. (And shit, me too - I can get Skittles from the drugstore, I don't need to pay $6 for them at the movies!) But they didn't bring in real food! They'd pop popcorn at home and bring that.

I am of the "see all the Oscar contenders" school of thought like Bow, but I also fucks with the blockbusters. I see a lot of movies.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Dee said:

Jack: "Who's Meryl Streep?"

Earl: "The white Cicely Tyson."

Never change, Earl. Never change.

I loved Pops throwing out 'Cornbread Earl and Me' since Laurence Fishburne was actually in that flick.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Newberry said:

I am so over Dre and his messages. This was painful to watch-he is absolutely tiresome! I used to be entertained by this program, not so much anymore. I don't need to be taught a lesson when I watch a comedy. There are plenty of available documentaries for that. And, I'm pretty familiar with the Rosa Parks story without seeinga full length movie about it. Time to delete this show from the DVR.

I haven't deleted it, but I still feel like something is off this season. The pacing is lackluster and the jokes just aren't as sharp. The scenes at work don't have that spark, not even Charlie's bits. The storylines for the twins have been sorely lacking. 

• Love 4

I don't need to be taught a lesson when I watch a comedy. There are plenty of available documentaries for that. And, I'm pretty familiar with the Rosa Parks story without seeing a full length movie about it.

I thought that was actually the point. The Rosa Parks flick was clearly a bad, bad movie, so the writers were admitting that people won't swallow a message unless they're being entertained. That's good news for the show. 

• Love 8

Bow's tough-love talk with Junior was great (and a long time coming) – such a refreshing change from Dre's outright hatred of him.

Nothing Charlie said was remotely funny to me.

Dre's insufferable meter was dialed to 13 last night, which always makes the episode a total slog.  I'd like to send him and Cam from Modern Family to some extremely tiny deserted island where they can insufferable and dramatic each other to death and free us all from their horribleness.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, gesundheit said:

The Color Purple, Ray, Glory, Ali, Django Unchained, Dream Girls, Coming to America & Amistad.

(Yes, Yes, No, No, No, No, Yes, Yes).

I hate the kitchen remodel a little more every episode. Not only because its too dark but its a reminder of the awful arc from last season.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

A guy I used to work with worked at a movie theater in high school and he said it was his favorite job. However, Junior can work in a movie theater in DC and go to class (actually, that would probably be a good job for a college student - he can work nights and weekends). Like @PupCal said, Junior dropped out, he's not taking a gap year. I've known people who took gap years and to a one, their gap years involved plans and/or jobs. Junior is sitting around doing nothing.

Basically, everything Junior is doing now, he could be doing at Howard while taking classes and "figuring out what he wants to do with his life" (including the ad agency internship - and actually, he'd probably get more out of that than he gets out of tagging along with Dre to work). If Marcus Scribner wants a check, I don't blame him - secure the bag! - but they need to give him something real to do.

Even seeing Junior's classmate even saying he dropped out is true. He did drop out, taking a gap year, you don't enroll AT ALL right after college, or you go for year or so and then decide to try a year off and figure things out. My one brother did that, realized what he really wanted and graduated two years after it. He was happy he figured things out. With Junior, really, he got scared of his roommate and was: "College is too big for me." Really, that was what happen, then when he tried to pretend to be his former roommate with Jack. Jack is all: "What is wrong with you and why did you ruin a toothbrush." Which was what his former roommate did. I know the joke was that Jack is too "dumb" to get the threatening words and it was Junior after all, why was he going to be scared. However, now with both Junior's former classmate seeing him and Bow's words. You think Junior would just go: "Ok, you were right, I was scared and dropped out for no reason and I'm doing NOTHING with my life, please help!" 

• Love 4

I almost always walk away from Black ish enjoying myself and seems to be almost the exact opposite here all the time.

I dont even think about last seasons last arc and I didn't actually hate it anyway. I dont care what there kitchen looks like 

I enjoyed this episode because it's real. My mom is the type that's like all black everything. It's a struggle to get her to try a movie or show where white people are front and center. I know plenty of people that feel it's important to support black led or black made films no matter how shitty they are. I just want a good experience. If its starring black folk, that's awesome. If it isn't that's fine too.

Dre was coming from a real and honest place. The way he goes about it is often the problem.

I would also imagine a large black family representing different generations would have a difficult time choosing one movie unless it's like creed 2 or something. Something that hits different demos.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

I hate the kitchen remodel a little more every episode.

I swear my mom used contact paper the same pattern as the cabinets to cover shelves. It was ugly in 1981 and it's ugly now, but at least our contact paper didn't cost thousands of $$.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Dee said:

Somebody should've told that to the final four episodes of last season.

Maybe they finally realized that and are subtly acknowledging it. 

16 hours ago, PupCal said:

Junior should be embarrassed by his "gap year". Leaving college after two days before classes even start isn't a gap year; it's dropping out.

Agreed and Bow's talk should've happened months ago.

• Love 5

I hate when Dre gets so obsessed with proving his point that he steamrolls everyone else. If this Rosa Parks movie was SO IMPORTANT for them to support, that doesn't mean they had to see it on Christmas Day. As was pointed out more than once, people don't want homework on Christmas. They could have seen a fun movie on Christmas and then go see the other movie the next day or the following weekend.

Sorry, Dre, you got outvoted so what you SHOULD do is be gracious about it instead of using the "I'm your dad so you'll see what I tell you to see." The problem is that Dre doesn't know how to be gracious.

I hate that the only thing that motivated Junior to actually look into doing something during his gap year was being embarrassed to admit to his ex that he isn't doing anything. Seriously? When he told her that he was going to Australia (thanks to the movie poster behind her), I just rolled my eyes. Going to Australia to reef dive isn't using your gap year to find yourself. It's going on a parent-funded vacation.

For the record, there's nothing wrong with working at the movie theater - and it's normal for students to work during the holiday break (I did when I was in college).

I was so glad that Bow had that talk with Junior because it's about time someone did. You know where a lot of 18 year olds find themselves and figure out what they want to do, Junior? IN COLLEGE.

I'm not saying that college is necessary for everyone, but Junior isn't pondering trade school or working at the post office or joining the military. He's going back to school next year, so all he's doing is taking a yearlong vacation. I balked when he told Bow he just needed $7500. You best get a job if you want to go on a $7500 solo vacation.

• Love 19
18 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

I hate the kitchen remodel a little more every episode.

I just can't get used to the contrast from the bright sunny kitchen they used to have. Every time I see it, it takes me a second to remember where they are because it just doesn't work as a kitchen.

Loved the Bow/Junior talk. A long time coming, especially considering the gap year is half over at this point.

I liked the point of this episode, but I just don't think it was executed well. 

• Love 5