Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Chat

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, readster said:

we know Dre got a lot of his "black" attitude from Ruby.

Not really. Andre is equally influenced by both his parents (it could even be argued he's slightly more influenced by Earl given his constant attempts to impress Earl) imo.

• Love 1
On 2/20/2019 at 12:09 PM, Empress1 said:

I loved Bow's striped shirt. I don't usually like puffy sleeves because I have broad shoulders but I liked that shirt. I'd rock it. I also liked her blue jumpsuit (though that, I wouldn't wear).

I loved the black leather skirt she paired with the striped top too, she looked great in that oufit!

FYI, the top is sold at Saks Fifth Avenue for $365 (sold out at the moment) and the skirt is on shopbop.com for $1295.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 1

"Rainbow feels like an 'other' in her own household because she wants to be white. Which is something she, and she alone, has to deal with."

Interesting. Can you cite examples of that?

Edited by Jenny8

I wasn't a big fan of the episode for some reason.  At least Andre knows he treats Junior the way he does because of how Pops was to him but at this point, he should embrace his kid more for his quirks. 

However I was happy to see Eva Longoria (Baston) directing.  I think she's underrated as a comedic actor (RIP Telenovela!) so I hope she finds her calling as a comedy director. 

• Love 1

Yeah, no, on that Harriet Tubman invented the tub joke. Not even from Charlie.

"Spy Tampons"? OMG, they need to cancel that Whiskey Cavalier show right now just for using such a lame commercial.

I know the people behind Black-ish probably feel like they're under some pressure to present a meaningful episode honoring BHM but this seemed like a lukewarm effort to me. I'll be surprised if this show gets renewed for another season. IMO, it seems to be running on vapors and the actors know it.

"Husband. Father. Jackass." No lies detected.

• Love 4

I do think I remember the teacher being pretty smart and keeping up with Dre, but I guess they decided we needed another dumb white person, because...the office wasnt enough? 

That being said, "You did a racism." "Again?!" was hilarious. 

I thought that it was really sweet that Diane wanted to talk about her principle. Its great talking about famous black people who did great things, but its also nice to honor non famous people who impact peoples lives every day. 

Can I get Octavia Spenser calling Dre a jackass on repeat please? Maybe as my new ringtone? The Octavia parts were worth the whole episode on their own!

I know it wont stick, but I loved when Pops called Dre out on how he has appointed himself the expert and final judgement on all things black, as its one of Dres most obnoxious traits. I mean, his borderline emotional abuse of Junior is his worst trait, but always acting like he knows everything about being black, and anyone who has other thoughts, even other black people, must be wrong just because is definitely second. Like Pops said, its not a good look.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 19
12 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I do think I remember the teacher being pretty smart and keeping up with Dre, but I guess they decided we needed another dumb white person, because...the office wasnt enough? 

I thought that it was really sweet that Diane wanted to talk about her principle. Its great talking about famous black people who did great things, but its also nice to honor non famous people who impact peoples lives every day. 

Can I get Octavia Spenser calling Dre a jackass on repeat please? Maybe as my new ringtone? The Octavia parts were worth the whole episode on their own!

I know it wont stick, but I loved when Pops called Dre out on how he has appointed himself the expert and final judgement on all things black, as its one of Dres most obnoxious traits. I mean, his borderline emotional abuse of Junior is his worst trait, but always acting like he knows everything about being black, and anyone who has other thoughts, even other black people, must be wrong just because. Like Pops said, its not a good look.  

Yes, I cheered when Pops said that. 

• Love 3

I did like that the writers went to great lengths to reflect each generations feelings about Black history month & that the Johnson women were able to navigate the inherent sexism which usually pervades most Black-ish scripts.

They must have aired this one out of order because Kyra & Stuntz were nowhere to be seen.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dee said:

I did like that the writers went to great lengths to reflect each generations feelings about Black history month & that the Johnson women were able to navigate the inherent sexism which usually pervades most Black-ish scripts.

They must have aired this one out of order because Kyra & Stuntz were nowhere to be seen.

It literally came out on the date they name checked. They were never going to have Kyra in every episode 

This topic was real. The private Christian school I went to until the 4th grade (I'm 36 now) had the same issue. But, they only ever talked about Dr. King and Malcolm X. That's why I started going to public school. I remember one if the first assignments they gave was the same one the kids got. But, I wrote about Charles Drew who did the first open heart transplant.

They have really been digging into Dre's self righteousness this season. I have no problems with it.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Dee said:

She's been directing for awhile now. In fact, she seems to enjoy it more than acting lately.

Now that she has a baby, she may not want to torture herself to look the way an actress is "supposed" to look. As a director, she can have job satisfaction without worrying about all that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

They were never going to have Kyra in every episode

That makes no sense. Why add another kid to the family but only feature her as a recurring character?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

What's with the dissing of DeRay Mckesson? Even the "all knowing expert" seemed not to know who he is?  I wasn't even sure if that was Octavia Spencer or Viola Davis, but even I've heard of DeRay Mckesson.

I took that the total opposite way - I think it was shade at Dre since he thinks he’s the expert and yet doesn’t know who DeRay is. Like, hey dummy, everyone else has heard of him so why do you have to go hide in the bathroom and give it a Goog to find out who he is?

• Love 10
17 hours ago, Dee said:

That makes no sense. Why add another kid to the family but only feature her as a recurring character?

Money. They want the character for certain storylines but not all the time. Happens all the time. They can also pay less for recurring. They already had enough opinions to cover, they can use her or not. I personally don't care much.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 3

I liked the little joke that Ruby is "the mother of Black America" because Jenifer Lewis's (excellent, VERY detailed) memoir is called The Mother of Black Hollywood.

16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I know it wont stick, but I loved when Pops called Dre out on how he has appointed himself the expert and final judgement on all things black, as its one of Dres most obnoxious traits. I mean, his borderline emotional abuse of Junior is his worst trait, but always acting like he knows everything about being black, and anyone who has other thoughts, even other black people, must be wrong just because. Like Pops said, its not a good look.  

LOVED this! More people need to call Dre on his shit.

On 2/27/2019 at 3:22 AM, Dee said:

I loved that Diane wanted to feature her principal for Black History Month.

My mother was an administrator at a predominantly white private school and a few kids DID feature her (and other Black teachers there) for Black History Month. I loved that Diane wanted to do the same.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, RoadFullOfPromise said:

I took that the total opposite way - I think it was shade at Dre since he thinks he’s the expert and yet doesn’t know who DeRay is. Like, hey dummy, everyone else has heard of him so why do you have to go hide in the bathroom and give it a Goog to find out who he is?

That must have been what they were going for.  It just seemed like everyone else (other than Junior who suggested him) was drawing a blank - especially Octavia.  Maybe they were just being exasperated at Dre.

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

That must have been what they were going for.  It just seemed like everyone else (other than Junior who suggested him) was drawing a blank - especially Octavia.  Maybe they were just being exasperated at Dre.

I honestly don't think most people  know who he is. It wasn't weird or wrong that Dre didn't know who he was. He just couldn't own up to it. That's the problem. That's also what black history should be about. Learning beyond what you already know.

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

Saw on Twitter that DeRay's shout-out was news to him and he was excited about it. Roxane Gay was excited about hers here & on grown-ish too. I agree that he's not as well-known. I follow him & his work (he hosts a podcast called Pod Save the People to which I subscribe) but I can absolutely see Dre not knowing who he is. He's <35, I think, and I don't think his prison & sentencing reform work is that well-known yet. I became aware of him during the Ferguson protests.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Saw on Twitter that DeRay's shout-out was news to him and he was excited about it. Roxane Gay was excited about hers here & on grown-ish too. I agree that he's not as well-known. I follow him & his work (he hosts a podcast called Pod Save the People to which I subscribe) but I can absolutely see Dre not knowing who he is. He's <35, I think, and I don't think his prison & sentencing reform work is that well-known yet. I became aware of him during the Ferguson protests.

He seemed to be the face of BLM and popping up everywhere a couple years ago so that's why I've heard of him (and I'm not on Twitter or up with all this social media stuff).  I'm not surprised either that Dre hadn't heard of him, I just got the impression no one else in the family (or Octavia) had either.  But as I said above, I was probably misinterpreting what the show was going for.

7 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I liked the little joke that Ruby is "the mother of Black America" because Jenifer Lewis's (excellent, VERY detailed) memoir is called The Mother of Black Hollywood.

That’s exactly what my husband said as soon as it was mentioned! Awesome 🙂

• Love 2
(edited)
On 2/27/2019 at 2:52 PM, SoMuchTV said:

What's with the dissing of DeRay Mckesson? Even the "all knowing expert" seemed not to know who he is?  I wasn't even sure if that was Octavia Spencer or Viola Davis, but even I've heard of DeRay Mckesson.

I didn’t know who he was, but that’s probably because I’m Canadian, and while we know many prominent African-Americans, we won’t know them all, as we also know about our prominent black Canadians, Having said that, I’ve got a Viola Desmond $10 bill hidden in my wallet, that I’ll never spend. 

Edited by hula-la
Spelling
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 2/27/2019 at 2:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

I know it wont stick, but I loved when Pops called Dre out on how he has appointed himself the expert and final judgement on all things black, as its one of Dres most obnoxious traits. I mean, his borderline emotional abuse of Junior is his worst trait, but always acting like he knows everything about being black, and anyone who has other thoughts, even other black people, must be wrong just because is definitely second. Like Pops said, its not a good look.  

Dre has become 100% insufferable and I don't understand why this thread of beating Junior down is supposed to be funny. There's no love mixed in, it's just constantly putting him down. If it was a real person, it'd be terrible, but given that it's a fictional character that someone is choosing to write this way, I just don't get the point. 

This episode is the kind of thing that this show used to do really well, but it's really hard to find anything poignant in what Dre says anymore when I can't stand the character. 

I feel like they're undermining their own point by writing him the way they do. He's always been preoccupied with race, but it was easy to recognize and sympathize with the struggles he's had because he showed different sides to his character. Now he's just an intractable jerk to pretty much everyone around him.

Didn't the teacher used to be fully capable of going head-to-head with Dre about history and race stuff?  They've turned her into an extension of the office idiots, what a shame.

YES! Isn't this the same teacher who had a master's degree in African-American studies or something? Very sloppy continuity there.

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Love 5
On 2/26/2019 at 8:24 PM, mtlchick said:

I wasn't a big fan of the episode for some reason.  At least Andre knows he treats Junior the way he does because of how Pops was to him but at this point, he should embrace his kid more for his quirks. 

However I was happy to see Eva Longoria (Baston) directing.  I think she's underrated as a comedic actor (RIP Telenovela!) so I hope she finds her calling as a comedy director. 

I miss Telenovela so much!  

Dre and Bow want to send Kyra to Valley Glen Prep, but after the school treats them like a charity case, they are infuriated; Junior wants to get a job as Josh's assistant at Stevens & Lido.

Airs March 19, 2019.

On 2/27/2019 at 6:15 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'll be surprised if this show gets renewed for another season. IMO, it seems to be running on vapors and the actors know it.

I agree. I've got a bunch of episodes on my DVR and have been catching up, but I think I'm going to delete the last couple that I haven't yet seen. It seems to be checking the boxes for a dying sitcom: new baby, divorce scare, a Cousin Oliver. The show still has its moments, but they're few and far between. I would probably stick with it if there were more Charlie, but they seem to have downsized his role and the office scenes in general unless they involve Junior. I don't need to see the Dre/Junior drama at home and at the office.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Re Black-ish getting renewed, I'll believe it when I see it. But I guess ABC might consider it easier to keep their one Black sitcom going instead of taking a risk on a new one.

What most networks do unless they see it's killing their bank accounts or no one is watching. Then they finally pull the plug on things like that Black-ish and Modern Family have just gone so down hill. They are repeating stories and don't know what to do with characters have the time. 

After Kyra's estranged father shows up and wants to bring Kyra home to Houston, Dre and Bow work to show him the amazing life they can provide for her; the kids go on a mission to get Kyra one last chili dog from Larry's.

Airs March 26, 2019.

I was pissed at Dre for rejecting Kyra's scholarship. Yeah Dre I get you're feelings or pride or whatever were hurt but that was Kyra's scholarship.

I actually cheered during Junior's speech to Josh about Josh's hiring someone just like him to fill the assistant's position regardless of whether or not the person was qualified. I have seen this A LOT during my career. Also, I'm really curious to see where Junior goes from here; he doesn't seem to want to go to college and that's OK. College isn't for everyone. Junior seems to have a plan to work his way up in advertising. It may or may not work but it would be a good change of pace to show that college isn't the only way to a successful career.

1 hour ago, LadyintheLoop said:

That bit about "dumb actors' kids" -- coincidentally topical, or did they insert it at the last moment? 

HA! I was thinking the same thing! Even though this episode was probably filmed a while ago I definitely thought about the current college admissions scandal especially when Dre talked about how receiving a scholarship to a private school could be viewed as a handout. That immediately made me think of some people's thoughts on affirmative action.

When Dre was talking about splitting the tuition between the credit cards I couldn't help but wonder how much Dre and Bow make. Between the home (is it paid off?), cars, private school tuition, clothes and shoes, and I'm assuming they are supporting Zoe they are spending a lot of money.

• Love 4

I have never liked Ruby more than I did in this episode when she actually served her dipshit son some truth.  I might have actually cheered her.

I love Bow, but that orange and orchid outfit she had on was an absolute nightmare.

• Love 18

I LOVED that Ruby served Dre a heaping serving of truth. He kept acting like he was better than Kyra which was really fucked up.

And for the record, there's nothing wrong or shameful with getting a scholarship! Nobody feels bad for a football player when he gets a college scholarship. I knew people in college who got full academic scholarships based on their grades and they accepted them even though they could afford the tuition. I also knew some people who got talent based scholarships for voice or dance.

Dre was stupid for letting his pride turn down Kyra's scholarship. Look, it's one thing if you can afford to pay for it in cash with pocket change, but if you've got five kids, three of whom are currently in school, and you're splitting up the payments on your credit card, now is not the time to take a stand on principle. Besides, the first article already said that she received a scholarship so word is already out. Do you think Kyra is going to walk around with a tuition receipt to prove that you paid for the semester?

• Love 22
9 hours ago, woodstock said:

I was pissed at Dre for rejecting Kyra's scholarship. Yeah Dre I get you're feelings or pride or whatever were hurt but that was Kyra's scholarship.

I actually cheered during Junior's speech to Josh about Josh's hiring someone just like him to fill the assistant's position regardless of whether or not the person was qualified. I have seen this A LOT during my career. Also, I'm really curious to see where Junior goes from here; he doesn't seem to want to go to college and that's OK. College isn't for everyone. Junior seems to have a plan to work his way up in advertising. It may or may not work but it would be a good change of pace to show that college isn't the only way to a successful career.

HA! I was thinking the same thing! Even though this episode was probably filmed a while ago I definitely thought about the current college admissions scandal especially when Dre talked about how receiving a scholarship to a private school could be viewed as a handout. That immediately made me think of some people's thoughts on affirmative action.

When Dre was talking about splitting the tuition between the credit cards I couldn't help but wonder how much Dre and Bow make. Between the home (is it paid off?), cars, private school tuition, clothes and shoes, and I'm assuming they are supporting Zoe they are spending a lot of money.

I think Jr getting that job reinforced its who you know. Jr is there because his dad is there. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I LOVED that Ruby served Dre a heaping serving of truth. He kept acting like he was better than Kyra which was really fucked up.

And for the record, there's nothing wrong or shameful with getting a scholarship! Nobody feels bad for a football player when he gets a college scholarship. I knew people in college who got full academic scholarships based on their grades and they accepted them even though they could afford the tuition. I also knew some people who got talent based scholarships for voice or dance.

Dre was stupid for letting his pride turn down Kyra's scholarship. Look, it's one thing if you can afford to pay for it in cash with pocket change, but if you've got five kids, three of whom are currently in school, and you're splitting up the payments on your credit card, now is not the time to take a stand on principle. Besides, the first article already said that she received a scholarship so word is already out. Do you think Kyra is going to walk around with a tuition receipt to prove that you paid for the semester?

That pissed me off too, it was completely a pride thing. You know how much in scholarship and grant money goes unused or not claimed early year? 3 billions dollars! 3 billion in free money from undergraduates to doc students all because they get talked out of it or they don't know where to look for it. IT'S FREE MONEY! 

At least Junior is starting to finally get himself a reality check, he isn't college material, because he has a very: "The world is too big for me." However, he does have a great work ethic, so opening his own business or doing maybe a type of apprenticeship or trade school is the way to go. However, seriously, the entire "gap year" story line has been pretty much a dud. It was never thought out.

• Love 8

Lol, Bow and Dre rolling up to their kids' school like the bougiest of the bougie.

Jack with a beard.

Junior getting that internship was some b.s. but I kind of admire his hustle. He still started on second base though since the only reason he had access was because of Dre's job there.

The timeliness of this episode was interesting.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, woodstock said:

I'm assuming they are supporting Zoe

Funnily enough, on grown-ish Dre just cut Zoe off!

Even without Zoe's college tuition, private school in LA for three kids has got to run them at least $75K - $100K a year. Harvard Westlake will run you nearly $40K a year. Bow likely pulls down around $400K a year; I can't remember how senior Dre is supposed to be, but senior ad guys make good money.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Dre was stupid for letting his pride turn down Kyra's scholarship. Look, it's one thing if you can afford to pay for it in cash with pocket change, but if you've got five kids, three of whom are currently in school, and you're splitting up the payments on your credit card, now is not the time to take a stand on principle.

That was SO DUMB. Listen, let someone give me some free money and all you'll hear is "thank you."

Anthony Anderson does use the hashtag #justakidfromcompton on IG.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

That was SO DUMB. Listen, let someone give me some free money and all you'll hear is "thank you."

It's so sad that a lot people do it based on a pride thing. I had a friend of mine who was getting a state grant to pay for some new stuff their office really needed. The business director put a stop to the purchase because it was making them look like a cheapskate. Well as a result, they never got the equipment, someone ELSE took the company money for their own department because they knew that this grant was coming through. As a result, they basically let free money go to waste because the state was: "You denied us paying you, so try again next year." The business manager was fired as a result. 

I also had a situation just last year, I needed all new computers for my department. They had PLENTY of money in the budget and I had gotten approved for a $30K grant, but it wouldn't come through sadly until February due to political red tape BS from the state. The director at the time wasn't willing to spend the money and said: "You have stuff that is only 3 years old, you can deal with it." Yeah, it was all cheap refurbished stuff so as a result it broke apart faster. I got the grant back this year and that director has since been fired. So, the new director was: "Tell me what you want and we will get this stuff ordered, it's not our money, so we are fine spending it."

It was sadly, too realistic the way Dre went about it, but sadly, so many people get pride or looking like some loser they just want to ruin a good thing for everyone.

• Love 5

I had mixed feelings. I assume the private school has a finite number of scholarships available each year and if Bow and Dre had already budgeted for Kyra's tuition, then it seems like they could go ahead and pay and the scholarship could go to some family who wasn't well-off. But it also made no sense because Barbara said it was purely a merit scholarship but the article said it was a need-based scholarship (maybe we were meant to understand it as both?). I think the details just confused me. But Ruby reading Dre the riot act was a delight! And I was so glad to hear someone point out that there's no such thing as self-made. 

There is no way in hell that a major advertising group in Los Angeles would hire some 19-year-old who didn't go to college as an assistant. Also Junior chasing Josh around with his resume cracked me up -- what in the world would Junior have on his resume other than the internship there? He's never done anything!

• Love 12
46 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

There is no way in hell that a major advertising group in Los Angeles would hire some 19-year-old who didn't go to college as an assistant. Also Junior chasing Josh around with his resume cracked me up -- what in the world would Junior have on his resume other than the internship there? He's never done anything!

It also doesn't help that Junior said: "I'll never have to go to college again!" Which means, he doesn't want to go back. It was spur of the moment reply to Jack and Diane. Junior is afraid to go to college, plain and simple. Which also portray's his "gap year" as even more BS. He was scared of his roommate and not finding himself in college. So, it was: "No, fight or flight mode and I choose my nice warm bed." Junior never thinks things through and its not like he hasn't come up with some good ideas that would work if his siblings or parents didn't sabotage him when he has something working very well. Reminds me of 2 years ago when he started investing in items that were selling good because he was watching what Zoey liked and what she was promoting on her social media. Because you know, NO ONE ever thinks of that? Of course it was Zoey feeling she was being used and sabotage something that was working out well for Junior. 

Same goes back to season 2 with Junior showering with Dre to save money and prove a scientific point for his class project. All Dre had to say was: "Junior, this makes sense, but I'm your father and you are 16!" "Think about this for a second?" No, he kept letting Junior do it until Dre finally had enough and told him to grow up and get the hell out. Junior would do less stupid stuff if everyone would sit him down and talk things through with him instead of either enabling his stupid behavior or supporting him when he does DO something right. Of course, look at this episode to show you why he is like that. Or the rest of the family. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, woodstock said:

I actually cheered during Junior's speech to Josh about Josh's hiring someone just like him to fill the assistant's position regardless of whether or not the person was qualified.

I'm sorry but Junior was not as qualified as the other kid because the other kid went to college. And you can argue that you don't need college to set appointment reminders or get someone coffee, but if the plan is to use the assistant position to funnel new talent up into the agency then someone who studied marketing or advertising or communications in college (and I'm talking any college, not specifically Harvard) would be a better match than someone who didn't.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I cheered when Ruby went in. Needs based scholarships are important. They give kids a chance to access places and people they wouldn't otherwise get. It's not a charity handout; it's a very small part of leveling a very uneven playing field.

Also, I liked in that scene that Ruby and Bow were respectful of each other. I really hope the show continues to improve their relationship after their blowout.

• Love 17
59 minutes ago, readster said:

Reminds me of 2 years ago when he started investing in items that were selling good because he was watching what Zoey liked and what she was promoting on her social media. Because you know, NO ONE ever thinks of that? Of course it was Zoey feeling she was being used and sabotage something that was working out well for Junior.

Zoey didn't sabotage Junior (and Jack who was working with him). She simply asked for her share of his profits, since all his business decisions were due to her, which, in retrospect, isn't really a lot to ask (especially when J&J never requested Zoey's permission to profile her in the first place).

• Love 4