Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Chat

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Junior is working at Stevens & Lido as an intern and takes some time to find his footing; but when he offers an idea during a pitch meeting, Dre immediately puts him in his place. Meanwhile, Bow has a meeting with one of Kyra's teachers and learns that she has an aptitude for chemistry, but Kyra doesn't want to transfer to a magnet school.

Guest Starring Quvenzhané Wallis

Directed by Eva Longoria

Original air date: 2/19/19

How does Big J think he has money to flash when he doesn't even have a job? Do Bow and Dre give him an allowance?

Diane looked so great as Willy Loman in her little three-piece tweed suit. Shine your light, girl.

Dre the biggest feminist in the family? Sure, the imaginary Johnson family that lives in a snow globe.

Jack going all Jennifer Hudson singing the Dreamgirls showstopper. Yes!

• Love 10

Junior should be taking out the trash; he's not that busy.

Also, what restaurant only takes cash? If Junior can get money from an ATM, he has a debit card. Putting that aside, if Dre wouldn't answer Junior's texts, why wouldn't he text his mother? She has money, too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

How does Big J think he has money to flash when he doesn't even have a job? Do Bow and Dre give him an allowance?

Diane looked so great as Willy Loman in her little three-piece tweed suit. Shine your light, girl.

Dre the biggest feminist in the family? Sure, the imaginary Johnson family that lives in a snow globe.

Jack going all Jennifer Hudson singing the Dreamgirls showstopper. Yes!

Junior this entire season has been a mess. One BIG mess, they did not think out the "gap year". They keep showing him making one mistake after another in very DUMBer then usual even for him. Everything that involves Junior just shows that no one in his family likes him. Why is he even listening to Dre and Pops way, way, way outdated dating styles. For that matter, where does Dre even think that way? Also, only cash? Umm... unless this is one of those mini style places that has been around for decades at as mall location (though most places take debit/credit now). Why would Junior even go there when he didn't have any cash on him and didn't think he would need it. 

This is Black-ish's problems, it keeps trying to act like some of cast are stuck in the 60s-80s style of thinking. Or how they got out of "the hood" and now feel privilege. Yet, apparently none of them understand the basics of today. All the writers keep coming off like they never go out at all either and then pretend they know what they are writing going: "Can't you see our genius and funny writing?" No, no we can't. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, LadyintheLoop said:

It's almost touching that Junior thinks Dre has his best interests at heart.

Almost.

You mean deluding himself that his father is anything but an asshole who hates him?

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 4

I will say to Junior that you're not actually going dutch with someone if they always drive (and pay for the gas.) There was a happy place in between Junior's approach and Dre and Pops. He probably should treat his girlfriend on Valentine's day to offset the fact that she does all the driving. He should probably treat her every couple of dates. That doesn't mean don't let her drive or order her food, but she is putting more in based on the system they have and if their goal is to split the costs that isn't really fair.

Also, it's just nice to treat your date sometimes and that's true whether you're a man or a woman. And you don't inconvenience the person driving you around because you need a specific ATM. Plan ahead or eat the fee.

• Love 6

If I was on a date with a guy and he ordered for me, I was be super pissed off. I dont want to eat what someone else thinks I should eat, even someone who knows me! And I would never order for someone else unless they asked me to while they were gone or something. Who does that?!

Dre and Pops always act like its still the 80s or something, most people just dont care that much about who drives on a date or whatever. I have heard the thing about how guys like to drive, but most straight couples I know split off on who pays on what date, or one person gets the movie, and the other gets the dinner, or something. 

I did like Bow and Diane, those too were cute together, and I am glad that Dianne went through with it. She looked so adorable in her Willy suit! Although, I am also kind of with Diane at "We`re 7th graders doing Death of a Salesman, this isnt high art" in picking this play. Dont hide your light Diane! 

What is Junior even doing at any point anymore? This gap year is an absolute joke.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Dre and Pops were both getting on my nerves with their old fashioned/outdated ideas of acceptable masculine behavior. When Dre was clutching his pearls because Junior's girlfriend was driving them somewhere, I loved Bow's reaction: "What's next? They let her vote?"

Sorry, I don't find it romantic when someone else orders for me. Even if you now me really well, you don't know what I want to eat right now! And even if you do, I have a mouth and I am perfectly capable of speaking to a waiter or waitress to tell them what I want. Fuck off, Dre and Pops! Same goes for thinking that the person with the penis has to drive all the time.

1st paragraph - How ridiculous was that?  God I hate Dre.  You just know that Pops has been riding in the passenger seat and eating on some girls dough.

When I was very young a date ordered my food and even though I told him I am allergic to fish he ordered it.  I went hungry. Later he showed me his penis and it pointed sideways.  I WAS OUTA THERE!  Called my mom and told her to pick me up and I had a great story to tell her on the way home.  We had to pull over we were laughing so hard.

4 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

You deluding himself that his father is anything but an asshole who hates him?

I agree.

7 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Like any of the kids should be taking the trash out.  When we were kids we were instructed to go to elderly neighbors and offer our garbage night services.  

8 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I've seriously never heard of the driving thing  before. Am I just out of it or is that normal?

No, you are not out of it.  I have never thought it took much thought as to who drives.  Most convenient placed car?  The one who doesn't drink?  Back in the 70s girls drove a lot because a girl was less likely to get pulled over in a car where smoke billows out the windows.

• Love 6

Another thing that annoyed me was Junior being shocked at how much the bill was later. Did you not look at the prices when you ordered, dummy? 

Related story: Mr. EB’s coworker came back from lunch one day complaining that he’d spent $20 on a lobster roll at a food truck. Mr. EB said, “Didn’t they have the price listed somewhere on the truck?” Coworker’s response: “...Yes.” 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

I've ordered for dates if 1. they ask me to and 2. they tell me what they want. If I go "the lady will have linguine with white clam sauce and a coke with no ice" without finding out if that's what she wants, then I can't imagine getting a second date. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed this episode - during a season in which I've generally been underwhelmed. The Junior/driving storyline was ridic, of course. But I loved that the Bow/Diane storyline didn't go where I thought it would (that Bow would be forced to accept that Diane was just a 13-year-old girl and not a vanguard for feminism). I really liked that Diane went through with it, when she didn't want to, and found her power in doing it.

I've known too many guys who MUST DRIVE, so that aspect wasn't surprising. Never had a date order for me - nope, that never would have gone through. 

Junior's GF seems well off, and she's OK with paying for stuff she wants to do with him - which to her, isn't a problem if it isn't for him. Dre and Pops should have (obviously) left it alone.

Why are these shows so inept with the idea of a character going to college and living at home? Or having the character live at a local college and come home occasionally? Lots of real people do both and it would open up new storylines. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they never did that with Erica on The Goldbergs either.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 6

It was nice to see Bow be right and get a win. I really liked the story with her and Diane. I hope Pablo sticks around.

I'm used to Dre being full of shit, so that wasn't news. You can't really watch this show and expect anything else. The writers seem to think it's cute. I disagree, but it's clear by now that this is something they will never change. Best thing is to mute the tv whenever he opens his mouth to speak.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Also, what restaurant only takes cash? If Junior can get money from an ATM, he has a debit card. Putting that aside, if Dre wouldn't answer Junior's texts, why wouldn't he text his mother? She has money, too.

In New York there are several restaurants that only take cash.  The one that comes to the top of my head is Peter Luger's which is a popular steakhouse - Cash only unless you use their own credit card.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Am I imagining it or was "Timmy" from The Kids Are Alright on stage at the end of the play?

That's the first thing I thought when I saw that redhead boy on stage, but when they did the bow I saw him up close and it was a different actor.

My dad almost always drives when I am with my parents (they switch off on longer trips), so I understand the idea. I actually prefer to drive (my last bfs have appreciated that trait), but I'm also gay so I don't see those gender issues. But to act like it's some sort of travesty is way over the top. A guy can be a gentleman to his lady in many ways. Driving isn't really one of them. And I hate they had Wanda Sykes character agree with that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/13/2019 at 7:26 PM, Superclam said:

I've ordered for dates if 1. they ask me to and 2. they tell me what they want. If I go "the lady will have linguine with white clam sauce and a coke with no ice" without finding out if that's what she wants, then I can't imagine getting a second date. 

Ha ha, nice reference!

I've only had a dining companion order for me (and vice versa) in the same instances. I imagine it was something they used to do back in, I dont know, the fifties or sixties, maybe? At the latest. I certainly don't remember it being a thing when I started dating in the 80s. Maybe my dates weren't classy enough? 😄

• LOL 2
8 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Ha ha, nice reference!

I've only had a dining companion order for me (and vice versa) in the same instances. I imagine it was something they used to do back in, I dont know, the fifties or sixties, maybe? At the latest. I certainly don't remember it being a thing when I started dating in the 80s. Maybe my dates weren't classy enough? 😄

Thank you! I was wondering if anyone got it. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Ha ha, nice reference!

Ordering for your date was maybe a thing in the forties/fifties.  That whole concept was so ridiculous for a guy Dre's age, they are really stretching for ideas to make him an idiot.  The driving thing is more believable as it seems that for whatever reason guys still seem to drive the majority of the time, at least with the people I know.  But I don't think any woman I know would object to driving or any man would feel emasculated if his date wanted to drive.

• Love 2

I'm reminded of Chris Christie's story that Trump took him out for a meal at a restaurant in Trump Tower and ordered scallops and lamb for him, even though he's allergic to scallop and dislikes lamb.  Don't know if Trump knew those facts, but ordering for another person is a power move.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

Ordering for your date was maybe a thing in the forties/fifties.  That whole concept was so ridiculous for a guy Dre's age, they are really stretching for ideas to make him an idiot.  The driving thing is more believable as it seems that for whatever reason guys still seem to drive the majority of the time, at least with the people I know.  But I don't think any woman I know would object to driving or any man would feel emasculated if his date wanted to drive.

With most couples I know, the man drives the majority of the time as well. I think the perception is that most men enjoy driving and love their cars/trucks, so there's that. I don't speak for all women, obviously, but in my case I don't really enjoy driving, it's just something I have to do, and I don't have a particular love for cars in general, though I appreciate a nice classic.

I've worked with many women over the years who still got dropped off and picked up by their husbands or boyfriends, and even a one or two who didn't have their driver's license. Still, if a woman wants to drive I don't see the problem. Many men would welcome being the passenger for a change. I can understand Pops having that holdover mentality, but there's no excuse for Dre.

• Love 2

Dre is upset that Jack and Diane are getting the same surface-level education about Black History Month that he got when he was growing up; he is asked to make a presentation at the school assembly and wants to bring black history to life.

Airs February 26, 2019.

Kyra (the one with the braces) is Andre's cousin. Kyra's mother wasn't able to take care of her for the time being, so Andre & Rainbow agreed to look after her.

Stuntz (the one with the gorgeous afro) is Kyra's best friend. She's Kyra's best friend but doesn't live with the Johnsons.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Sweet. Black. Jesus.  It's just become too uncomfortable for me to watch any scenes between Dre and Junior.

It really isn't funny. When Junior went off on Dre I was agreeing. Yes, the world can be hard and having coping skills is essential, but when Junior does well, what is the problem with saying "Good job!"

I loved Bow's striped shirt. I don't usually like puffy sleeves because I have broad shoulders but I liked that shirt. I'd rock it. I also liked her blue jumpsuit (though that, I wouldn't wear).

36 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

I was sort of in and out of the room during the episode -- who they heck are the new teenage girls that live there??

Kyra, the one with the red hair, is a cousin of Dre's. The other one is her friend.

"When I get bored, I'm leaving." I love Laurence Fishburne. And then he left!

Edited by Empress1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

Yes, the world can be hard and having coping skills is essential, but when Junior does well, what is the problem with saying "Good job!"

And you don't teach coping skills by sabotaging someone's confidence.

The Good: Pops

The Better: No Ruby

The Best: "I'm Dr. Johnson! I keep on having babies even though I know how bodies work -- and I get paaaaid!!!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

I'm not sure why Kyra is there.  I get that Zoey is off in spin-off land but Diane is 13/14 now, so it's not like they don't already have a character that can cover the teenage girl stuff.  She barely even interacts with the family (though to be fair, I think she's been in more scenes than Davonte has so...).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LadyintheLoop said:

The Best: "I'm Dr. Johnson! I keep on having babies even though I know how bodies work -- and I get paaaaid!!!"

Oh my God, that was spot on! That was probably the best part of the episode for me.

Cousin Oliver...whoops I mean Kyra... is a likable enough character and the actress is doing just fine, but she has no point on this show. Maybe if they had shipped Junior off to college I could understand them wanting an older kid around, to take the older teen spot formally occupied by Zoe and Junior, but Junior is still around, so...whats the point? First we get a baby we have no use for in the story, and now a teenager. They just keep adding kids, how many more people can fit into that house?

Junior and Dre are just depressing to watch at this point. They have some moments when I can see the bind between them, and its actually an interesting relationship, but thats always clouded over by how much Dre just seems to despise him so often. He always takes shots at him, even over nothing, he tells him how much he sucks all of the time, even when he does well or shows some initiative, seems to root for him to fail, but gets annoyed when he succeeds, and even drags him in front of other people at work! And the source of all of this is all so petty: Junior likes different stuff than what Dre likes. And its such benign stuff too, like, "oh no, my son likes Star Wars, one of the biggest movies of all time! How can I deal with that?!"

Although, I will say that Dre isnt wrong that Junior leaving Howard was a stupid idea. It really was, both the character, and the writers.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

And the source of all of this is all so petty: Junior likes different stuff than what Dre likes. And its such benign stuff too, like, "oh no, my son likes Star Wars, one of the biggest movies of all time! How can I deal with that?!"

Although, I will say that Dre isnt wrong that Junior leaving Howard was a stupid idea. It really was, both the character, and the writers.

Right on both things, I mean people who don't get why some people "like that stuff" it's just looking at how you like something others don't. I get so sick of that bias on both TV and real life. However, they have shouted from the hill tops of Junior panicking over really nothing and this bullshit "gap year" the writers want to use. They think bringing in a Cousin Oliver just like adding another kid to the series is going to fill in the gaps left from Zoey. No, it shows the writers are not as smart as they think they are. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, LadyintheLoop said:

11 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

I'm not sure why Kyra is there.  I get that Zoey is off in spin-off land but Diane is 13/14 now, so it's not like they don't already have a character that can cover the teenage girl stuff.

I'm not sure how long Marsai Martin (Diane) is going to stay.  She's executive producer and lead actress in a mainstream movie, and may want more opportunities like that, rather than be bound in a somewhat limiting role.

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

And its such benign stuff too, like, "oh no, my son likes Star Wars, one of the biggest movies of all time! How can I deal with that?!"

When Dre threatened to knock Junior "into a galaxy far, far away", I was hoping Junior would use both "star" and "wars".  then asked Dre if he wanted to back up his threat (which would get him fired on the spot) or whther he wanted to back down like a good puppy.

• Love 1

My wife is a much better driver than I am, ands enjoys it more, so she does most of the driving.  Most of the times I pay when we eat out, but I feel GREAT when she does.

On 2/13/2019 at 10:53 AM, SmithW6079 said:

You mean deluding himself that his father is anything but an asshole who hates him?

Truth.

21 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

I'm not sure how long Marsai Martin (Diane) is going to stay.  She's executive producer and lead actress in a mainstream movie, and may want more opportunities like that, rather than be bound in a somewhat limiting role.

I doubt she will leave getting that money affords her more opportunities plus as she ages she could get better story lines.

Also Kyra friend so far is more interesting.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Standard tv contracts are for seven years so unless the producers want to let her go, she will be on the show for two more seasons.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Dre is treating Junior just like Pops treated him growing up (and still treats him). Dre learned how to be a father from his father (or lack of a father). Not that it justifies his relationship with Junior. Just some perspective. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jeopardy15 said:

Dre is treating Junior just like Pops treated him growing up (and still treats him). Dre learned how to be a father from his father (or lack of a father). Not that it justifies his relationship with Junior. Just some perspective. 

Not disagreeing there and as we know Dre got a lot of his "black" attitude from Ruby. So, you can see how that all messed up Dre. Dre just realized unlike Pops, if you are pissed off at people are lacking money, you don't go stealing someone's TV to make sure you keep your "swag car". Or unlike Ruby, Dre knew when not to piss of the "right people". With Bow's problem, her dad was a good influence on her to be successful, but her mother being so flakey and basically having her play the mother to Bow's brother lead them to all their problems. Hence, why Dre and Bow have such odd and weird and at times very bad relationships with all their kids. Look out Little D, you got some major issues in front of you. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Jeopardy15 said:

And Andre is being a better father than Earl, because he actually takes the initiative to admit his mistakes and genuinely apologize to Junior.

Andre & Junior's relationship will probably never be 'easy,' but Andre being a better father than his father was to him is definitely a win.

• Love 3