Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Chat

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

54 minutes ago, Dee said:

Zoey didn't sabotage Junior (and Jack who was working with him). She simply asked for her share of his profits, since all his business decisions were due to her, which, in retrospect, isn't really a lot to ask (especially when J&J never requested Zoey's permission to profile her in the first place).

How true, and instead of Junior going: "yes, you are right!" He made a big deal over it. That's Junior's major problem, he ALWAYS goes into full panic mode like Dre at times. Instead of going: "Ok, can we talk about this." He goes into flight or fight mode and it's always flight. It's like here with Dre getting upset about the article and then basically saying them to shove their free money where the sun don't shine. Bow's handling of it was much, much better, and still totally Bow when she put herself in the rewrite. However, it also makes Dre and Bow look like idiots because it was a teen who wrote this article and who took advice from his mother. Yes,  it's a rough neighborhood, but she is acting like it's the 1990s on saying: "Poor kids get a second chance." Instead of: "Two hard working students accomplish a dream." 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

I'm sorry but Junior was not as qualified as the other kid because the other kid went to college. And you can argue that you don't need college to set appointment reminders or get someone coffee, but if the plan is to use the assistant position to funnel new talent up into the agency then someone who studied marketing or advertising or communications in college (and I'm talking any college, not specifically Harvard) would be a better match than someone who didn't.

Right and did he go about it wrong and Junior had a point? Oh yes, but at the same time, this was someone who worked hard and could move up in the company. Junior also doesn't have a lot of "life experiences" when he said at the end: "Because of this I'll NEVER have to go to college again." Just basically shows that Junior wants an easy fix. He isn't worry about growing as a person in experience or in life. He wants someone that isn't going to scare him or makes him feel he isn't ready for at any point in his life. Junior isn't introverted, if anything he has been shown to be quite extroverted with his ideas and what he does. However, he has constantly been: "This is too much for me, I need to run to my room, someone give me an easy out."

• Love 5

I full on cheered when Ruby was telling Dre the truth about how he got help to get through school, and that the "bootstraps is a lie!" was spot on. Dre was being such a jerk and an idiot for acting like he was better than Kyra for accepting financial help, and then turning away a full ride! Who does that?! The idea that accepting "handouts" makes you a charity case who didnt earn anything and are just a moocher is such a lie, perpetuated by the overly prideful and by the wealthy who want to keep poor people from ever ascending any higher. Yeah, you have to work hard to achieve your goals, but getting some help is just evening out a very uneven playing field, especially for people from lower income brackets. It just means they can have the same opportunities as people that can easily pay for all those great schools and money for living and sports uniforms and all that, and that they can prove themselves to be just as good, if not better. They just have to get a little help getting in the door!

I like that Ruby and Bow are getting along a bit better now. They still snark on each other, but it seems a bit more respectful and less bitter. I hope it keeps up. 

It is kind of funny that this episode happened this week after the college entrance scandal. Its certainly a coincidence, but the timing was just perfect. 

Dre is so bad with money, its kind of hilarious. And over on Grown-ish, he just cut Zoe off at college! So I guess now he gets more money for sunglasses? He and Bow showing up looking like the bougiest people in California was pretty great though. "Doctor....sorry, habit." 

This whole gap year thing with Junior is just a mess. If Junior doesent want to go to college, thats fine, just have him start his career without having college, why even bother calling it a gap year? Its not for everyone, and its really a good message to send, that you can be successful without a four year degree as long as you have some kind of other plan for what you want to do, but the stuff with Junior is such a mess. Why doesent he want to go to college again? He always liked school, his desire to skip it and go into advertising is just so random and out of character. I do appreciate his hustle though getting the assistant job. But, wouldn't a degree make getting into advertising a lot easier? Just saying.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 14
9 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

This whole gap year thing with Junior is just a mess. If Junior doesent want to go to college, thats fine, just have him start his career without having college, why even bother calling it a gap year? Its not for everyone, and its really a good message to send, that you can be successful without a four year degree as long as you have some kind of other plan for what you want to do, but the stuff with Junior is such a mess. Why doesent he want to go to college again? He always liked school, his desire to skip it and go into advertising is just so random and out of character. I do appreciate his hustle though getting the assistant job. But, wouldn't a degree make getting into advertising a lot easier? Just saying.

That's exactly it. I'm a teacher and I also agree that not everyone is going to go to college or even has the right frame of mind to go into college. However... there are many people out there that can do: trade school, work hard in something I are passionate about, open their own business, go into the family business, ect. However, with Junior it's: "College scares me, I need an easy fix, I'm taking a 'gap year'." They have argued all season and everyone has had a point from Pops to Jack and Diane, Junior needs to get out and do something with his life. He is constantly waiting around for a big break just so he doesn't have to face the reality of: "going to college". At this point, I think the writers have forgotten why they had Junior drop out and even having a bigger mess trying to get him out of his "gap year" mindset. Especially when the rest of his family keeps looking at him going: "You are going to end up dead or kicked out of the house at this rate." I see the latter happening after the fact that Dre just cut off Zoey over on Grown-ish. They said that story will effect Black-ish towards the end of the season. I can see Zoey coming home and begging Bow to get her money again or something, but I also see Bow going: "Nope, sorry, and why don't you take your brother with you, we are done with him too." 

• Love 4

When Dre showed up at the school obviously preparing to throw money at them, I thought he was going to make a big donation to endow a scholarship for other kids. That way, he could give back. I was so disappointed when he went in there and just acted like an ass, as usual.

The privileged kids don't turn down nepotism opportunities, or hires based on networking, and they aren't ashamed of that form of help. It's just accepted that they deserve to be there. But then the notion comes along that people who get other forms of help and don't have wealth or insider connections somehow should be embarrassed about it, or aren't deserving. The whole thought process is nuts.

• Love 13

I didn't love this episode, because 5 minutes in I sighed and thought "great, Dre's pride/ignorance is getting in the way and he will fuck this up". I am tired of these plots. And not that I jumped for joy when they brought on Kyra, but they have barely used her. This episode was about her but not her plot. 

I realize Junior's getting the job is highly unlikely (although the ad company is hardly a normal place), but I'm okay if it actually gets Junior to do something besides, well, nothing. Which he has been doing most of his gap year. Although I hope he does end up going to school at least part time, because there will be a point when a lack of a degree will hurt him no matter how good he is.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

When Dre showed up at the school obviously preparing to throw money at them, I thought he was going to make a big donation to endow a scholarship for other kids. That way, he could give back. I was so disappointed when he went in there and just acted like an ass, as usual.

The privileged kids don't turn down nepotism opportunities, or hires based on networking, and they aren't ashamed of that form of help. It's just accepted that they deserve to be there. But then the notion comes along that people who get other forms of help and don't have wealth or insider connections somehow should be embarrassed about it, or aren't deserving. The whole thought process is nuts.

And I've known people who DON'T deserve to be where they are - they're not qualified at all. No skills, no relevant experience, in some cases no education ... they're just there because they're somebody's kid or nephew or family friend. I saw Michelle Obama speak on her book tour and one of the things she said that stuck with me is "I've sat at tables of high-powered mediocrity." Like once she, who IS smart and qualified, got a seat at the table, she realized just how much of a hustle "the table" is. It's just rich white dudes who have coasted along for so long they have no idea how average they actually are.

I loved when Ruby said straight up that bootstrapping is a myth. It is. It's one of the most pervasive myths in America, but it's a myth nonetheless.

• Love 20

I was sooo frustrated with this episode.  It was tone-deaf in a way that Blackish is normally not.  Junior berating Josh about hiring an assistant based on who he knew... when the only reason Junior was even there was because his rich, connected dad got him an "internship".  Hes a 19 yo kid with no education and no work experience.  I think its is totally fine for someone to not go to college, or take some time off to really think about what they want to do.  But Junior should be waiting tables, taking CC classes, volunteering, something to actually be a productive member of society in the meantime.  But his dad handed him an internship at a prestigious advertising firm, which he worked for a hot minute and then complains discrimination to gain himself an entry level job.  Ahead of kids who actually had to complete a MKTG degree, and get their own internships.  Very frustrating.

• Love 11

I’m starting to hate Junior. Him ranting about how he’s the most qualified candidate was a fucking joke. He’s a sheltered little rich kid who just graduated high school and dropped out of college after 1 day. How is he the most qualified? I was hoping Josh would say that to him but then he got the job which made it even more stupid.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Dee said:

Besides a few well acted scenes for Anthony, Tracee & Jenifer; this episode, and the entire Kyra arc as a whole, has been a huge waste.

I liked it. I liked the Kyra character and how everyone in the family eventually came to love her and rallied around her. She is the only drama-free character on the show.

• Love 7

So Kyra leaves just the way she came: randomly. So, what was the point of that whole arc, exactly? They wanted their very own cousin Oliver, but only for a bit?

In fairness, I did like Kyra as a character just fine. Half the time she seemed to be the most well adjusted person in the whole household. It did also lead to some decently funny and interesting moments for Dre to think more about his own past, but her whole plot just seems so out of nowhere to me, like they realized they wanted an older teen now that Zoe is gone and Junior is older, but then realized this show has a billion characters in this house, and needed to get rid of her. At least Kyra got a goodbye episode, which is way more than their nanny, or any other number of minor and supporting characters, got. 

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

So Kyra leaves just the way she came: randomly. So, what was the point of that whole arc, exactly? They wanted their very own cousin Oliver, but only for a bit?

In fairness, I did like Kyra as a character just fine. Half the time she seemed to be the most well adjusted person in the whole household. It did also lead to some decently funny and interesting moments for Dre to think more about his own past, but her whole plot just seems so out of nowhere to me, like they realized they wanted an older teen now that Zoe is gone and Junior is older, but then realized this show has a billion characters in this house, and needed to get rid of her. At least Kyra got a goodbye episode, which is way more than their nanny, or any other number of minor and supporting characters, got. 

Yeah, you really do have to wonder, what was the point? So Dre realized that Ruby did the same so he would reconnect with his father after years of failing financially? To give the twins motivation that they have it good and will make something of themselves? So, Bow got a girl that was motivated and wouldn't be: "Got to break away from the family" like Zoey? So, Junior's "gap year" was still an utter waste of a story line and they were just wasting time again? Who knows? Did it have closure and well acted scenes? Oh yes, but in the end, Kyra was just random and then exited the same way.

• Love 6
On 3/21/2019 at 3:23 AM, possibilities said:

Financially speaking, it would be more advantageous for Dre to make a charitable contribution in the exact amount of the scholarship, rather than pay the same amount in tuition.

• Love 5

I suppose it's a good thing Dre called his credit card company last episode to cancel the tuition payment, because he would have paid full price for perhaps a week or 2?

Also, Kyra must be the most resilient kid ever.  She'l have been in 4 schools in one year!  (The school she started at, public school with the Johnsons, private school with the Johnsons, and now public school with her Dad.)  How sad is that?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
On 3/27/2019 at 8:53 PM, readster said:

Yeah, you really do have to wonder, what was the point? So Dre realized that Ruby did the same so he would reconnect with his father after years of failing financially? To give the twins motivation that they have it good and will make something of themselves? So, Bow got a girl that was motivated and wouldn't be: "Got to break away from the family" like Zoey? So, Junior's "gap year" was still an utter waste of a story line and they were just wasting time again? Who knows? Did it have closure and well acted scenes? Oh yes, but in the end, Kyra was just random and then exited the same way.

Kyra did not have any more respect for Bow than Zoe did. There was one time when Bow burst in with a cake and she was all like “Can you learn to knock” and I was like “Damn, this woman is doing a lot for you to have that type of attitude”.

• Love 4

I think this was the best episode I have seen in awhile. Dre's story was true to Dre's personality and Bo was working it in that video, I could see why she brought all the boys to the yard. Charlie's passport page had several jokes that required freeze frame to see. I could kind of predict several of the jokes, but that is not a bad thing. The show is always better when they stay true to the characters.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

I think this was the best episode I have seen in awhile. Dre's story was true to Dre's personality and Bo was working it in that video, I could see why she brought all the boys to the yard. Charlie's passport page had several jokes that required freeze frame to see. I could kind of predict several of the jokes, but that is not a bad thing. The show is always better when they stay true to the characters.

In Girl Friends everyone always talked about how she had a great booty.  This was a good episode.

• Love 5

This was a great episode! One thing that did confuse us was how old Curtis is supposed to be. When he was first introduced, I thought he was in his early twenties. Now he has a kid looking at colleges?

• Love 9

"Risks are opportunities wrapped in barbed wire." Yikes.

Pat Riley and nem.

So Junior has an actual job now? He's definitely not going to college.

Now Jack has to delete Kelis off his phone.

I had to look up Tracee in Wikipedia to check her age for real. I'm not ashamed. She looks damn good. Melanin FTW.

Great episode.

• Love 7

Liked seeing Josh show some sides beyond everyone making fun of him, even if he did lose his mentees apparently. So how old is Curtis? I thought he was in his early 20s, but he has a kid getting ready to go to college? 

This was actually a pretty good episode, everyone seemed in character, and while Dre was a dick to take credit for their work, it was all in character, and no one was ridiculously over the top, even at work. It had lots of fun jokes, and they were mostly based around things we already know about them. 

Bow really does look amazing, hell yeah Tracee is The Hot Mom! Take that Miss Alabama! 

• Love 5

I figured out what Kyra's purpose was.  It wasn't for the viewing audience -- it was for Quvenzhané Wallis.  Roles for young black actresses are very hard to come by (Quvenzhané has appeared in only one movie since Annie).  This was a way to provide her with an audition reel to show casting directors what she is capable of.

That's my theory anyway!

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

As they are planning Devante's birthday, Bow wants to be more mindful with all the new child-rearing rules these days, but Dre isn't having it; Jack and Diane try to change Ruby's bad habits.

Airs April 9, 2019.

19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So how old is Curtis?

The actor is in his mid-30s so that would line up if he had a kid young. But, yeah I just assumed Curtis (with a "C") was in his 20s. I wouldn't mind a back story on that character. He probably has an interesting life.

Even though Dre was assy in this episode, it wasn't too bad especially compared to last week. And I liked the Bow story. She gets shit on too often so it was nice for her to have a win, even if it was creepy and short-lived.

• Love 5
On 4/2/2019 at 10:56 PM, qtpye said:

In Girl Friends everyone always talked about how she had a great booty.

One of her character's boyfriends rated her a five and a half, and her booty was how she got the half.

On 4/3/2019 at 10:59 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I had to look up Tracee in Wikipedia to check her age for real. I'm not ashamed. She looks damn good. Melanin FTW.

And I mean, her genes are great. Diana Ross is 75 and stunning, IMO.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, xander874 said:

The actor is in his mid-30s so that would line up if he had a kid young. But, yeah I just assumed Curtis (with a "C") was in his 20s. I wouldn't mind a back story on that character. He probably has an interesting life.

I've always liked Curtis and wish he had a slightly larger role. He was a nice counter to the nutty Charlie and insecure Dre, he always seemed confident and smart.

Liked seeing Josh show some sides beyond everyone making fun of him, even if he did lose his mentees apparently. So how old is Curtis? I thought he was in his early 20s, but he has a kid getting ready to go to college? 

This was actually a pretty good episode, everyone seemed in character, and while Dre was a dick to take credit for their work, it was all in character, and no one was ridiculously over the top, even at work. It had lots of fun jokes, and they were mostly based around things we already know about them. 

Agreed, it was nice to see Josh be something other than a completely pathetic caricature. Every once in a great while, he'd show some glimmers of something interesting or have a funny one-liner "I feel like this is going to be about Katrina..." but mostly his character is just sad.

Dre is still annoying, but he had slightly more purpose in this episode compared to his schtick the last season or so where he's completely unreasonable and unlikable and in the end, rarely even seems to have a point about anything. 

I wish Wanda Sykes would get a little more air time, her character always adds extra funny to the work scenes.

Bow really does look amazing, hell yeah Tracee is The Hot Mom! Take that Miss Alabama! 

She looked incredible in that outfit. They mostly dial it back in her wardrobe choices but every now and then, she wears something that shows her amazing shape.

• Love 3

I wish whoever dresses Tracee Ellis Ross's character would dress her for red carpet events. I was amazed at how good she looked in the yoga outfit; she has a great body.

It's interesting that Junior is working at the agency. Is this a permanent job, or just a "gap year" job?

• Love 2
On 3/29/2019 at 8:47 AM, qtpye said:

Kyra did not have any more respect for Bow than Zoe did. There was one time when Bow burst in with a cake and she was all like “Can you learn to knock” and I was like “Damn, this woman is doing a lot for you to have that type of attitude”.

Well, Dre was with Bow, too. Kyra could have been undressed.

I thought at the time that they should have knocked. Kyra could have said something like: "It's a good thing I was dressed!" Kids above a certain age deserve privacy,  unless you have strong reasons to think they're doing something dangerous. 

• Love 5
On 4/3/2019 at 10:59 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

So Junior has an actual job now? He's definitely not going to college.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:56 AM, MaryMitch said:

It's interesting that Junior is working at the agency. Is this a permanent job, or just a "gap year" job?

Two episodes ago was about how Junior convinced Josh to fire his new assistant and hire him, even though he hadn't attended Harvard (or anywhere else).  This is a real job.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ErinV said:

When did Ruby become so...rational?  She was a hero this episode.

Since Black Like Us. I get the sense that since Ruby and Bow had their fight in that episode, the show is working to make Ruby a changed character who is still tough and quick with a good line but kinder and more respectful overall. That fight stuck with her and we've seen her be the voice of reason more and more and while she still jokes with Bow, there's been signs of a new respect as well.

• Love 3
On 4/5/2019 at 11:56 AM, MaryMitch said:

It's a permanent job as Junior told Jack that he is not going back to college. Dre thinks that it is a gap year job and was shown to have a reaction as if something bad was going to happen but didn't know what caused it. In fact, it was when Junior confided in Jack about his plans.

• Love 1

Jack is going through an experimental phase and getting himself into trouble, so Dre chaperones the twins' school dance to keep an eye on him. Meanwhile, Junior fights with his girlfriend, Niecy, after she thinks he spends too much time taking care of Devante.

Airs April 16, 2019.

"Criss-cross applesauce style?" What was wrong with "cross-legged"? Get off my lawn. 😉

Yeah, when did it become not okay to kick birds? I'm still with Charlie on pigeons.

Bo's colorful robe was absolutely gorgeous.

A steak with some diamonds in it.

Buenos diax. Eh, not sure I'm okay with that one.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Jade Roller, Wrinkle Roller, Derma Roller

Thank you! I didn’t think it was a derma roller because she didn’t seem to be in pain which was always my experience.

I am not and would never be vegan unless it were medically necessary (I laughed at the line about how Dre's lunch looked like that of someone who had to make changes or he'd die), but vegan chili is good! It's just chili without beef or turkey! The seasoning is the same! Maybe Bow just can't cook. Also, why is she feeding her colleagues?

• Love 6