Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Chat

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

On 10/30/2018 at 8:03 PM, Traveller519 said:

"Now go to your room and think about what you did!"

"REALLY?!?!?!?!"

"What? Ewww, No!"

That was the best exchange of the ep. I LOL'd. I liked the rest of the ep too, don't get me wrong, but this caught me by surprise.

• Love 7

My 8th grade crush loved (with a heart) a picture I posted of myself on FB in my Halloween costume, and one of the cooler guys from grammar school liked it. Only took 30+ years, but I have arrived..LOL!!  

Ruby & Junior were sweet. 

• Love 10
On 10/31/2018 at 9:49 AM, Empress1 said:

100%. There is nothing in the world anyone could offer me to go back to being 12. Nothing. I was an early bloomer. Kids, especially other girls, were horrible. I'm flashing back to all the friend-group breakups there were in middle school. LORD.

The way Ruby said "You can't be running around my church having relations with people!" had me rolling. When Bow told Dre she was about to punch a kid and tossed him her purse and he dropped it, that was a great bit of physical comedy. This was a REALLY funny episode.

When Bow and Dre announced their party plans, I was like "Throw in some grown-up drinks with that pizza and I'd fuck with that party!"

So Junior really is just straight up sitting around doing nothing, huh? Hmph.

try being 12, being shy, being an early bloomer, have a strict dad and your mother dies. yep. i'm scarred for life. 

• Love 4

Great episode, only thing I wish is that Jack and Diane ended up getting in costume at the end. That Black Panther gear was fierce.

I must be an anomaly, because 6th, 7th, and 8th grade were really not that bad for me. I had two best friends, decent teachers, and the school work wasn't horrible. Then the nightmare of high school came and it was four years of pure hell!

• Love 1
On 10/16/2018 at 8:02 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

he should withdraw from Howard and try to gain admittance to a college closer to home for now, and then attempt to transfer to Howard when he has regained some confidence.

He could do what I did -- community/junior college close to home, where he could take a variety of classes to see what he really liked.  

This was a personality-changing plot for Junior, who is my favorite Johnson.

On 10/17/2018 at 9:53 AM, jmonique said:

Me: "Well, I hate how abrasive they've made Dre and Bow, but maybe I'll give the show another chance."
26 sseconds into the show and Dre's voiceover: "Now, it's always tough to drop a kid off at college, but this was Junior, so," and he proceeds to bounce right out of the dorm and to abandon his son.
Me: Welp, that was fast.

I just can't stand how much Dre openly disrespects his own son, then wonders why Junior is like that.

On 10/17/2018 at 11:12 AM, Sheenieb said:

one of the things Dre charged him for was "his time." I was like, really?

That was awful and disgusting, but shows how much Dre hates his son -- for really dumb reasons.  And Junior is so needy for a speck of Dre's approval, even if it's totally insincere, he'll grovel if Dre calls him "Junior".  Of all of Dre's disgusting man-baby (he isn't even a child!) ways (and he is the worst I've seen, while Jake Perellta on B99 is the best), his open and blatant contempt for Junior is hateful.  

But he learned from his mom -- after Ruby complained about the free trip to DC (and DC museums aren't all free), I'd hyave told her that she is no longer welcome in my house.

On 10/18/2018 at 2:03 PM, Arcadiasw said:

Because it's Ruby. Nearly everything she talks about leads to violence or sex.

Or both.  Usually both.

On 10/27/2018 at 12:56 PM, Gothish520 said:

Dre has been really rough on Junior at times, but I take it for what it is - exaggerated comedy.

I can't.  It's abuse, and he should have been reported to CPS a long time back.

• Love 2
On 10/24/2018 at 12:08 PM, Empress1 said:

I felt so bad for Diane getting her 13-year-old heart broken. Poor thing!

"What does it mean when you don't want revenge on someone?"

Awwwww... she really cares about this boy!

• Love 3
On 11/12/2018 at 11:27 AM, possibilities said:

I keep thinking about all the nerdy kids like Junior, watching this show and seeing that dad hating them would be considered funny.

Now make it "blerds" and it becomes 1000 times worse.

• Love 3

Bow’s mom, Alicia, visits the family for the first time since the loss of Bow’s dad, and she is still heavily grieving. Bow decides to throw a big luau-themed party for what would have been her dad’s next birthday. Meanwhile, Mason has an extra ticket to an MMA fight and invites Diane on the same night as the party.

Airs November 20, 2018.

Prince: Short, pale, and pretty.

Yeah, no, a lot of Prince's music is far from suitable for kids Jack and Diane's age. Not sure this was the way to stage a tribute to him on Black-ish.

Diane doing Purple Rain in her glasses was everything though.

I know Dre's White coworkers are known to be culturally vapid but it's not remotely believable that they had no clue who Prince was. Maybe the show should've written that scene as them putting one over on Dre.

This seemed to me to be more about letting the cast do their Prince impersonations than anything else. At least they were lip synching (instead of actually singing) for the most part.

• Love 24
12 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Not sure this was the way to stage a tribute to him on Black-ish.

Seems like someone decided a self-indulgent tribute show is what the audience was begging for.  As much as I like Prince, this was meh, particularly since it was a milestone episode.  

15 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

This seemed to me to be more about letting the cast do their Prince impersonations than anything else

Yup.  I'm beginning to think they are having trouble coming up with plots.  Could be the series has run its course.

• Love 16

"I only really like purple in a bruise"

That one kinda slid in quickly in this episode, but I see you Diane.

I also see the myriad of camera angles they're using to try and hide the fact that Diane has 6-8 inches (or maybe more) on Jack now

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Traveller519 said:

That's why she had to attend court mandated therapy! lol

• Love 8
On 10/29/2018 at 4:43 PM, qtpye said:

I got to say that I did not think what Zoey did was all that bad. I get it, she threw Bow out, but Bow is damn embarrassing and clueless when it comes to this stuff. So, Zoey is in college doing her own thing, but get a lecture from Bow about not leaving her sister behind like a skirt? The same Bow who often forgets that she has a baby or thinks "Junior will take care of it"? Bow also seemed mean to Zoey's friend for no reason.

Nah, Zoe completely ignoring Diane's calls and texts was wrong, especially after bragging how she was going to help her and giving her advice up until that point. I don't even get why she would blow her off like that, since it's not like she was doing anything important like cramming for a test. Good for Bow for lighting her up - was in Mama Bear mode and Ana was just collateral damage.

• Love 4

I Never want to see Anderson’s bare belly undulating EVER again.

And except for the final line, I thought Diane was horrible at the lip syncing. As was Zoe.

As always, Pops makes everything better.

Five seasons in and I still can’t stand Diane.

And I agree with @Bronzedog-

8 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

And, I can assure people everywhere that white people know who Prince was.

All these writers needed to do was look at everyone who mourned when Prince died. Or better yet, look up to find his concerts on YouTube to see he had fans that ranged from all races.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Ridiculous.  They expect me to believe Jack knows Sinead O'Connor but not Prince? 

9 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yeah, no, a lot of Prince's music is far from suitable for kids Jack and Diane's age. Not sure this was the way to stage a tribute to him on Black-ish.

Diane doing Purple Rain in her glasses was everything though.

I know Dre's White coworkers are known to be culturally vapid but it's not remotely believable that they had no clue who Prince was. Maybe the show should've written that scene as them putting one over on Dre.

This seemed to me to be more about letting the cast do their Prince impersonations than anything else. At least they were lip synching (instead of actually singing) for the most part.

9 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

This episode was just all right for me.  And, I can assure people everywhere that white people know who Prince was.

8 hours ago, ichbin said:

Seems like someone decided a self-indulgent tribute show is what the audience was begging for.  As much as I like Prince, this was meh, particularly since it was a milestone episode.  

Yup.  I'm beginning to think they are having trouble coming up with plots.  Could be the series has run its course.

This episode was sooo not worthy of Prince. There is no way white people in that age group who grew up in the United States do not know who Prince is and yes....how the hell does Jack know about Sinead O'Connor?  That being said, my favorite Prince was Diane, for the look, not for the bad lip syncing. 

6 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I Never want to see Anderson’s bare belly undulating EVER again.

And except for the final line, I thought Diane was horrible at the lip syncing. As was Zoe.

As always, Pops makes everything better.

Five seasons in and I still can’t stand Diane.

And I agree with @Bronzedog-

All these writers needed to do was look at everyone who mourned when Prince died. Or better yet, look up to find his concerts on YouTube to see he had fans that ranged from all races.

When I saw they gave him the look from the Kiss Video, I just about died...and not in a good way. This show was like the Hamilton episode, in the fact that the cast is very talented, but singing and dancing just does not play into the show's strengths.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, qtpye said:

There is no way white people in that age group who grew up in the United States do not know who Prince is

Not just in the United States but also most of the rest of the world. There are some musicians that everybody has heard of, even if they're not into music. Prince is one of them along with for example Michael Jackson, Madonna, Elvis, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones to name a few that immediately came to my mind.

• Love 20
9 hours ago, ichbin said:

This was not a good episode, and I agree that while lots of people don't know that Prince wrote "Nothing Compares 2 U," it's WAY more likely that Jack would know who Prince is than who Sinead O'Connor is. She's not even making music anymore. It feels like the show creators were like "We wanna do a Prince tribute episode!" and just tried to make it fit.

33 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

Not just in the United States but also most of the rest of the world. There are some musicians that everybody has heard of, even if they're not into music. Prince is one of them along with for example Michael Jackson, Madonna, Elvis, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones to name a few that immediately came to my mind.

Right. You may or may not like their music, but there are artists that are just part of the cultural landscape. Prince is one.

• Love 12

I liked the episode. But they really didn't capture the true essence of Prince when dressed as him as they performed his songs - not any of them. It looked like a spoof, but I guess that's what it suppose to have been. Prince was serious about his craft and if you're going to take the task to play him, don't mess it up.

I like Diane's portrayal of him the most and Andre the least. However, my favorite part of the entire episode of when they were sitting on the patio singing Nothing Compares 2U. I thought it was so cute how Jack belted out the first note and everyone followed. That was so touching to me - no costume or awkward dancing needed. I also loved how this episode reminded us how much of trailblazer he was.

• Love 14

That was...weak. It's clear the cast had a lot of fun doing Prince cosplay but there was no plot and it felt years too late. And the stuff at work is just exhausting now. As everyone has said, there's no way his white co-workers are unfamiliar with Prince, but it's also just inconsistent -- all of a sudden Mr. Stevens is trying to talk to his employees about their weekends and non-work lives? All they do is talk about their personal lives! This is not new!

And I'm still worried about their poor, neglected dog.

• Love 16

This was such a lazy tribute to him.  Why do one at all, if this is the approach?  And the laziness was ironic, in that it was in tribute to someone who sweated every detail, making sure things were perfect, even when it wasn't actually his project (if you've ever read the essay about his appearance on New Girl that was published soon after his passing).  When I saw how the "performance" sequences were going to go, I stopped watching them.  I just closed my eyes and listened to him.  It made it a much better episode.

• Love 5

The day Prince died, I was in the park and there was a guy walking the path ahead of me with earbuds in and belting out a gloriously out-of-tune version of Raspberry Beret and I still consider that the greatest Prince tribute ever.

I did like the beginning and the end when the family was just singing, but the vignettes were they were dressed as Prince and lip syncing was borderline offensive to me. It felt like they were mocking him more than honoring him, which I know wasn't the intention, but when you have someone who's so singular, you need to tread carefully. Dre's belly shirt and Charlie's outfit didn't bother me as much because clearly the target of the humor was Dre and Charlie, but with everyone else I had to look away because it was embarrassing.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

I also see the myriad of camera angles they're using to try and hide the fact that Diane has 6-8 inches (or maybe more) on Jack now

Diane gave my two favorite lines, the purple one and the way she said "This feels right to you?" to Pops when he showed her the photo of naked Prince with flowers.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Luciano said:

Diane gave my two favorite lines, the purple one and the way she said "This feels right to you?" to Pops when he showed her the photo of naked Prince with flowers.

I forgot about that one.  That was a good line.

And I agree, @Empress1.  Just once I want Junior to say, "I know you don't, you asshole."

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

when Junior said the Prince lectures had worked on him, he looked Junior dead in the face and said "I don't care about you." I just don't find that stuff funny. 

They can barely let an episode go by without Dre telling Junior he's a piece of shit.  It's gross.

The scene in the office at the end was offensively and unbelievably lazy.

• Love 10

That was their 100th episode? Thats how they choose to celebrate 100 episodes of the show, and their cast and crew and everything they've accomplished? With a bunch of terrible Prince lip synchinging and silly costumes? That was just embarrassing. Its like reading Princes Wikipedia page for half an hour, with some tacky Halloween costumes thrown in. Nothing really got what made Prince such a great artist, or why he made such an impact on the industry and popular culture. Nothing! It just seems like the cast wanted an excuse to do bad Prince impressions, so the writers gave them this excuse, and dressed it up (pun intended) as the 100th episode. 

Plus, we get more of Dre being an asshole to his kids, which is always awful and not funny to watch, especially when he told Junior he didnt care about he had gotten through to him. Go back to college, Junior! You'll do great in college! Get away from Dre!

And the most ridiculous thing of all was Dres coworkers not knowing who Prince is. I know that they're frequently culturally obtuse, but Prince was such a major part of the culturally landscape for so long, that there is no way to not at least know who is it, unless you live in a full on pop culture bubble. That was just stupid. 

• Love 12
15 hours ago, ichbin said:

They like to do big episodes where the characters perform out of character every season. This isn't new. They just usually open the season with it.

Of course white people know who prince but how many care about him as much.

I didn't mind this episode. It was a exaggeration of how much it hurts to see people of the younger generation not knowing or respecting "your music" that you grew up with.

I watch the react channel do videos on YouTube about teens trying to pinpoint songs from the 80s and 90s snd hurts how misinformed they are.

For example 

Ugh. I feel the adults pain in this episode needles to say.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Yeah, everyone at the office WOULD have known who Prince was. They are trying to hammer in that Dre works for such dumbass assholes. "We white people, we know not who this PRINCE is!" Oh just stop. At this point, how does that company keep any clients. For a 100th episode, it was a bust. It just was and even when we find out that Junior doesn't know how to ride a bike? Enough show, we get it! Junior can have sex, video edit like he works in a movie studio. Knows how to drive and use Paypal, but ride a bike? Oh that's impossible for him. Plus, yes, we get it Dre doesn't care about Junior. Great father there. 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Empress1 said:

The other reason I didn't like this episode is that Dre's assholishness when it comes to his kids was on display. The episode started with a voiceover about his kids disappointing him, he talked about how Jack was going to disappoint him on his first study date, and then when Junior said the Prince lectures had worked on him, he looked Junior dead in the face and said "I don't care about you." I just don't find that stuff funny. 

I couldn’t agree more. Dre is the absolute worst. Watching him crap on Junior is painful.

• Love 11

I agree with everyone re: Jack knows Sinead O’Connor, but not Prince? Bullshit.

It feels like the episode was hastily thrown together, so disappointing. Though I did like Diane’s shoulder-shimmy as she worked that guitar. Get it, she-Prince!

I don’t mind Dre’s jabs at Junior. It’s a family sitcom, he obviously loves his kid. It’s just a modern take on the traditional sitcom parent a la Kate on American Housewife or Bob on Bob’s Burgers. Plus, if everything in the show were taken seriously, Diane would have been sent away a long time ago.

I didn’t take the two clueless white guys at the office to be stand-ins for white people as a whole. Surely the writers knew that Prince was not some hidden treasure among the black community; they even mentioned the truckload of awards he won and the 100 million+ albums sold. It was just a (poorly thought-through) device to get in a Prince impression from Charlie.

They really phoned this one in, but the family coming together to sing “Nothing Compares to U” at the end was nice.

Edited by link417
Shoulder, not should
  • Love 4

Dre being a jerk to Junior has gone too far. It hasn’t been funny for a bit. I wish Junior would tell him to fuck off.

His coworkers would definitely know who Prince is. I feel like pretty much everyone does. I’ve been with all different kinds of people with different ages when a Prince song has come on and I’ve never come across someone say who is this singing. 

The performances were weird and embarrassing a bit lol.

Fail of an episode. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, link417 said:

I don’t mind Dre’s jabs at Junior. It’s a family sitcom, he obviously loves his kid. It’s just a modern take on the traditional sitcom parent a la Kate on American Housewife or Bob on Bob’s Burgers. Plus, if everything in the show were taken seriously, Diane would have been sent away a long time ago.

Exactly! And it's not as if either Andre or Rainbow are any nicer to any of their other children. They're always referring to Jack as stupid and they literally run from Diane.

• Love 2
On 11/13/2018 at 11:57 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Definitely agree most of Prince songs are not for kids but it fits with Dre's irresponsibility as a parent to teach them that young or get upset they don't know him. 

On 11/14/2018 at 12:14 AM, ichbin said:

It was clear last year they were running out of ideas with that four part marriage crisis thing.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:06 AM, Bronzedog said:

This episode was just all right for me.  And, I can assure people everywhere that white people know who Prince was.

I hate the show makes it all white people are clueless to black issues, culture, etc. You could make an argument 100 years ago. Not now.

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

A lot.

Yes, it's easy to say. Different cultures relate to certain things on another level or more passionate level. That's all i was trying to say. It would be extremely rare to do a episode like this with a all white cast. But, doing one like this about Madonna wouldn't be. And I love Madonna as much as the next person while being black myself.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

I hate the show makes it all white people are clueless to black issues, culture, etc. You could make an argument 100 years ago. Not now.

People like Dre's boss and boss's son, who either willingly try to dismiss or don't know black history, exist.  They get good comedic mileage out of them.  And they got even more comedic mileage out of them a few weeks ago when they were trying to tell Dre why it wasn't "because of slavery" but he kept coming back to slavery.  I think that twist on the traditional routine where the boss was explaining things to Dre vs. Dre explaining things to him would have made for better 100 episode content than some random Prince tribute.

But not knowing Prince?  Prince whose Superbowl performance is considered one of the best, if not the best, halftime shows?  Nope.  The Prince whose song 1999 was played incessantly around 1999/2000?  Nope.  If Prince were still going by the symbol?  Maybe. 

Prince was the kind of artist old rich unhip white people would want to know just to seem "with it."

1 minute ago, Racj82 said:

It would be extremely rare to do a episode like this with a all white cast.

Set that show in Minnesota and boom!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

People like Dre's boss and boss's son, who either willingly try to dismiss or don't know black history, exist.  They get good comedic mileage out of them.  And they got even more comedic mileage out of them a few weeks ago when they were trying to tell Dre why it wasn't "because of slavery" but he kept coming back to slavery.  I think that twist on the traditional routine where the boss was explaining things to Dre vs. Dre explaining things to him would have made for better 100 episode content than some random Prince tribute.

I agree they exist but do they all have to be on Blackish? The neighbor understands a little but if the boss and his son are clueless why can't the other guy understand?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I disagree re: issues. (I do think Black culture is, and has always been, more pervasive. The challenge there is Black people getting the credit they're due.) All white people, no. A lot of white people, yes. There are a lot of very insular white communities out there in which white people only ever live, work, and socialize with other white people, so they don't think about stuff that happens to people of color because they don't have to. I've encountered a lot of white people who think we solved racism and are shocked if I mention the micro aggressions I face every day, and the overt acts of racism I've encountered. Melissa DePino, the woman who posted the video of the two Black men being arrested at a Philly Starbucks for nothing, said she got calls and texts from white friends who didn't think stuff like that still happened. Odds are great that the only Black people Dre's boss, who has been portrayed as a lifelong 1%er, knows are people who have worked for him, and IRL they wouldn't have as many personal conversations as they do (WAY too many for my liking, I would last a week at Dre's office). For people who associate only with the majority, they have to make a conscious choice to think about the struggles of the minority. Many people don't do that.

Now, Prince is something else - if nothing else, the Super Bowl is watched by bajillions of people (and as ad execs, Dre and his colleagues should all be watching the Super Bowl for the commercials if not for the game) and his halftime show was BOMB.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Yes, it's easy to say. Different cultures relate to certain things on another level or more passionate level. That's all i was trying to say. 

I'm not quite sure I understand. Prince wasn't just known in a small segment of the United States. He was known and loved, by many cultures, world-wide. You only need to go back and read the reactions to his untimely death to get a sense of that. 

8 hours ago, Racj82 said:

It would be extremely rare to do a episode like this with a all white cast. But, doing one like this about Madonna wouldn't be

Are you saying that Madonna is more relatable than Prince was? I'm just not following your logic here. I'm not being snarky. I'm honestly not understanding. For me, the bottom line is, that this was extremely insulting that these dweebs in the office didn't know who Prince was. Both are old enough to know. And even if they weren't fans, when Prince died, the news dominated social media. Let me put it this way: I wasn't born when The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley, and any and most of Motown made a name for themselves, but I DO know about them. and frankly prefer music from that era. So there's that. 

Plus THIS:

2 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Now, Prince is something else - if nothing else, the Super Bowl is watched by bajillions of people (and as ad execs, Dre and his colleagues should all be watching the Super Bowl for the commercials if not for the game) and his halftime show was BOMB.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4