Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

When Beverly and Murray are too distracted by Barry's engagement and Erica's ambitions to remember Adam's 16th birthday, Adam takes the opportunity to ask Erica for help with his social life; Beverly thinks she can scare Barry and Lainey straight.

And they're back!  Discuss...

• Love 1

Except for the Rush-guy’s haircut, I HATED every single thing about the episode.

What happened between prom and September?

Is Barry still in high school?

Where was Adam’s girlfriend on his birthday?

If the rest of the season is like this, it should have ended last year.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, nora1992 said:

Is Barry still in high school?

It would appear so. And since the episode was dated "September 26, 1980-something", he is still in high school for the whole season. He really needs to graduate, or Adam is going to be in the same grade as him pretty soon.

Not that it is surprising, this show is lazy as hell with the continuity. Forget what year it's set in, or the real world events that are years apart occuring within the same episode. this show can't even keep things straight with it's characters. Barry still in high school is one thing, but I am certain they just went ahead and changed Adam's birthday. 

• Love 2

Our family was disappointed in this episode. The story lines just do not fit with what the characters were built up to be for years. I wish there had been one episode to explain the summer. Erika really is just back at home and the parents are ok with it? If the show wanted her at home, why didn't they have father's business lose money and she had to come home and go to a community or state college? 

Did Barry in real life gain weight? He looks more like a 30 year old couch potato then a high school student. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

Our family was disappointed in this episode. The story lines just do not fit with what the characters were built up to be for years. I wish there had been one episode to explain the summer. Erika really is just back at home and the parents are ok with it? If the show wanted her at home, why didn't they have father's business lose money and she had to come home and go to a community or state college? 

Did Barry in real life gain weight? He looks more like a 30 year old couch potato then a high school student. 

Barry has always been on the chubby side. I remember noticing that for the first time during the dirty dancing episode when he was angry dancing (hilarious) in a tank top. There were plenty of chubby people in my high school. My guy friend started balding when he was around 16.

I agree that this wasn't one of the better episodes. I just recently binge watched the whole series in anticipation of the new one and was a bit let down. I think they tried to cram too much into half an hour. Hopefully the rest of the season will be better. 

The timeline doesn't really bother me. All sitcoms have inaccuracies and unrealistic stories. 

• Love 4

The timeline doesn't really bother me. All sitcoms have inaccuracies and unrealistic stories. 

There's inaccuracies and suspension of disbelief, and then there's what The Goldbergs does. 

I mean last year's season finale, literally the episode before this one, revolved around Barry dealing with the end of his time in high school (pulling an epic senior prank and some really manufactured prom drama), and then this episode has him still in high school, despite explicitly stating it takes place in September. 

If they want to keep Barry in high school, fine. But at least take the minimal effort (and it really couldn't be more minimal) to keep up the illusion. 

You especially don't make an episode that points out that the youngest child is not only getting older, but is now almost the same "age" as his previously much older brother. 

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, reggiejax said:

mean last year's season finale, literally the episode before this one, revolved around Barry dealing with the end of his time in high school (pulling an epic senior prank and some really manufactured prom drama), and then this episode has him still in high school, despite explicitly stating it takes place in September. 

What said he was still in high school? He was not at school during any part of this episode even though it took place on a school day and he didn’t leave with Adam when he went off to school. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

What said he was still in high school? He was not at school during any part of this episode even though it took place on a school day and he didn’t leave with Adam when he went off to school. 

Murray said something like high school boys can't get married in one of his rants.

• Love 2
On 9/28/2018 at 10:36 AM, mamadrama said:

I have a really hard time seeing Beverly with Murray. I don't dislike Murray, but what kind of relationship do they really have?We never see them really interacting in a partnership kind of way.

You should remember that the storytelling is from Adam's perspective. he doesn't see  intimate details  between the two because Murray doesn't really show his feelings around the kids. Occasionally they do show that they love each other.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Eataton said:

You should remember that the storytelling is from Adam's perspective. he doesn't see  intimate details  between the two because Murray doesn't really show his feelings around the kids. Occasionally they do show that they love each other.

Yes, I am aware of that. I still don't see it as a romantic relationship.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Yes, I am aware of that. I still don't see it as a romantic relationship.

I think it is pretty typical in shows that focus on the family dynamic. It reminds me a lot of the parents on Wonder Years...the homemaker mother, the grumpy father etc.

It kind of makes sense that Beverly obsessively seeks out love from her kids to make up for the lack of it from her unromantic husband. I think it was even mentioned once on the show and then afterwards, Murray surprised her with dinner.

Edited by Tvshipper
  • Love 6
On 9/28/2018 at 9:52 PM, biakbiak said:

Various characters referring to him as a high school groom throughout the episode certainly suggests he is still attending William Penn Academy. On the other hand, as I stated before, this show is not great with the continuity, and it wouldn't surprise me if by the next episode they just forgot all that and Barry was indeed out of high school. Like I said, they're not big on the details. I mean are we really supposed to believe that Alden's epic rager was taking place during daylight? 

• Love 2

Adam’s girlfriend, Jackie, is back after spending her summer at NYU; she has changed so much, it’s almost like she’s a whole different person. After receiving some not-so-great romantic advice from his loved ones, Adam takes drastic measures to hold on to his relationship. Meanwhile, Beverly is not happy with Lainey’s less-than-ideal domestic skills and decides to teach her future daughter-in-law a thing or two.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, reggiejax said:

Various characters referring to him as a high school groom throughout the episode certainly suggests he is still attending William Penn Academ

I rewatched and it’s only Beverly who calls him that and then they go out in daytime to see the house when Adam is at school but apparently he is going to be in high school which I acknowledge is stupid.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I rewatched and it’s only Beverly who calls him that and then they go out in daytime to see the house when Adam is at school but apparently he is going to be in high school which I acknowledge is stupid.

Yeah, there are also pictures from the upcoming episode that have Johnny Adkins and Carla in the school cafeteria. Pretty sure they were either in Erica's class or Barry's, so I guess everyone is just still in high school. Oh well

• Love 2
On 9/27/2018 at 9:27 AM, nora1992 said:

Where was Adam’s girlfriend on his birthday?

Wendi tweeted about this. Claims she spent the summer in NYC. It's a different actress playing her this season. Wendi said Rowan B is now too busy to be on the show.

• Love 1

Jackie! I admit it took me a minute, but....what happened to Rowan!? The "she really looks different" jokes were great though.

i thought this episode was funnier than the season premiere.

Where was Garlin? Did they start filming Curb Your Enthusiasm?

Zipperhead was a HS boy friend's favorite store on South Street in Philly. He went there a lot. (Loved punk music, but fortunately for me, didn't dress the part.) I'm sure I was there with him at least once but don't remember it clearly. I did love the Clash of the Titans references - that's more my wheelhouse too.

Odd lack of followup with Geoff and the cooking....obviously he is the rightful heir to Beverly's box but she never found out!

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, nilyank said:

So Barry and Geoff aren't in high school. Are they in college? Waiting to go to college?

I'm pretty sure they are still in high school...they just didn't show any scenes with them there. Did Erica even have any lines in this episode? 

I did enjoy the conversation between Barry and Geoff about the recipes. I never really cared for Jackie/Rowan anyway so the character change doesn't bother me since she isn't a main character. Adam's cut off shorts were pretty hilarious. 

Overall, liked this episode more than the first one. Looking forward to next week

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, nilyank said:

So Barry and Geoff aren't in high school. Are they in college? Waiting to go to college?

They are in sitcom writers' purgatory, where they hope we won't ask too many questions.

That Drag Race was something. I appreciate the show can still pull a fun visual joke. Pops sleeping through the whole bit was the icing on the cake.

I do miss old Jackie though

• Love 14
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yes they recast apparently the other actress was busy.

Thanks for the clarification; I was distracted the entire episode wondering how some eye liner and a red hair streak could change someone's appearance so completely. 

Shame, Original Jackie was a dead ringer for Real Jackie.

Surely Adam would've recognised the "pink slips" reference from 'Grease'? 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I remember him behind the newspaper last night, which was cute if he was unavailable for taping.  

He was briefly shown but other than that it was mostly his voice.

• Love 3

Was that a different actress playing Jacki?

Edited to note that I should've read the other comments first, d'uh.

I do think this episode was funnier than the premiere.  I love the JTP when they're all together.

Oops, meant to add: When the clerk at Zipperhead asked if Adam knew any members of the Clash, I was like "Joe Strummer and, um, those other guys?".  I couldn't for the life of me think of Mick Jones.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5

Pops is just always so down, no matter what. I love it. 

I miss old Jackie, but new Jackie seems alright so far. It was cool seeing real Jackie in the videos, and in the interview chair. I admit it, I always love seeing the adult versions of the characters on the show, it seems like so many of them are having so much fun watching the show. 

It looks like Garlin was gone for a bit until the last scene, but they found a way to make it work. "Tell me more, mysterious stranger."

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Tasha Brand said:

Did the show recast Jackie?  She looks like the same actress to me.

Was Jeff Garlin really unavailable?  That sure looked and sounded like him throughout the episode, especially at the end.

The real Adam gave an interview on my local radio station, and he explains the recast here: https://wmmr.com/2018/10/03/zipperheadsouthstreet/

Edited by Snickerdoodle
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Tasha Brand said:

Did the show recast Jackie?  She looks like the same actress to me.

Was Jeff Garlin really unavailable?  That sure looked and sounded like him throughout the episode, especially at the end.

They probably just had him provide voiceovers in post-production while filming a future episode if he was unavailable for this one. The voices did sound kind of added-in almost like Patton Oswald's (IMO)

• Love 3

If first Jackie was busy that’s too bad, because I would have liked to see that actress transform into a punk rocker.

It doesn’t have the same effect if it’s some girl we’ve never seen before.

This show would not work half as well if they couldn’t pony up for the songs they use.

The visual of the Celica waiting for the race and then the station wagon creeping into the picture cracked me up.

Although I'm thinking if Hechinger closed in an hour, those pavers are still in the back because it took Adam probably that long to load all of them, let alone also compete in a drag race.

• Love 4

I got to be honest, I didn't really notice at first that it was a different actress playing Jackie. I only realized it when I was on Twitter and people were tweeting about it. 

And I still think Garlin wasn't in the episode at all, and that they Peter Cushing-ed him into the one scene at the end.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, reggiejax said:

And I still think Garlin wasn't in the episode at all, and that they Peter Cushing-ed him into the one scene at the end.

Yes given the shot I imagine he was edited in during post, they do this a lot with Pops but I wouldn’t call that not being in the episode.

• Love 1

I'm going to miss Rowan Blanchard as Adam's girlfriend. They had a really sweet, unabashedly dorky chemistry together. I was hoping they brought the new girl in just to break them up and write off the character, so I was disappointed that they reconciled lol. The actress was fine, but she looks too coiffed and Hollywood Teen to be with Adam. I appreciate The Goldbergs' commitment to casting "regular looking" people that you'd actually see in suburbia, so it was jarring to see a girl who looked like she just walked off a Disney Channel set playing a character we've known for a few seasons. It just won't be the same, especially with Geoff/Erica and Barry/Laney around for contrast. Although you can chalk it up to Adam's general social struggles, Sean Giambrone definitely seemed a bit awkward with the new girl haha

Geoff's earnest joy in learning how to cook for Erica was heartwarming. The "You want your wife to be your mom?" exchange between him and Barry was the funniest part of the ep.

Erica sure carries a ton of emotional weight in the plots for being the only character not based off of a real person or events. How do they mine so much material from her when she never actually existed?

• Love 5
13 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I'm going to miss Rowan Blanchard as Adam's girlfriend. They had a really sweet, unabashedly dorky chemistry together. I was hoping they brought the new girl in just to break them up and write off the character, so I was disappointed that they reconciled lol. The actress was fine, but she looks too coiffed and Hollywood Teen to be with Adam. I appreciate The Goldbergs' commitment to casting "regular looking" people that you'd actually see in suburbia, so it was jarring to see a girl who looked like she just walked off a Disney Channel set playing a character we've known for a few seasons.

The funny thing being that Rowan had actually just walked off a Disney Channel show onto The Goldbergs, but I agree, they did a great job of making her appearance look very "dorky" suburban high school. The plastic earrings when a long way! She definitely did not have Riley's New York professionally-styled look. 

The new actress is 3 years her senior, which probably accounts for a lot of the appearance differentiation. And I agree, she doesn't quite have the chemistry. I'll get if they grow apart due to it, but we kind of already saw that story with Dana when she was home visiting in Philly.

• Love 5
On 10/3/2018 at 9:53 PM, nilyank said:

Pretty sure they were seniors last year, so not in high school i don't think.  They haven't shown them there. The guy with the Celica, whose name I can never remember, didn't he get his rat tail caught in a door and cut off in the last episode? It sure grew back fast! They used to have ones you could clip in.  Maybe he got one of those!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, lark37 said:

Pretty sure they were seniors last year, so not in high school i don't think.  They haven't shown them there. The guy with the Celica, whose name I can never remember, didn't he get his rat tail caught in a door and cut off in the last episode? It sure grew back fast! They used to have ones you could clip in.  Maybe he got one of those!

His name is Ponytail Johnson!

No, seriously, it's Johnny Atkins. I'm pretty sure he was still in high school in the 80's sequel!

• Love 2