Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E01: Premiere Week: Part 1

• Start Topic

FIVE, LEN? FIVE? You give Evanna a FIVE? Evanna was better than a FIVE. 

That kind of soured part of the premiere for me. It seems like Evanna will be the judges' nitpick contestant while shittier celeb dancers skate through with praise. I mean...were we WATCHING the same dance? I thought Evanna did a solid job with the foxtrot! I know I'm not a professional dancer or have any trained eye for this stuff, but I thought it was well done, and certainly not something that deserves a FIVE. I'm fine with a six, but a five is absolutely ridiculous. 

Overall, it was a strong night for many of the celebs. Many seemed super excited and it showed through their first dances. 

Milo has a LOT of energy. He does need to tone it down...but he's not bad at all. The few seasons I've seen, a lot of taller celebs are very lanky and dance small. Milo didn't dance small and I think that was a benefit for him. I think he'll be fun to watch. 

Mary Lou had some good rhythm. I think she has some potential and I'll enjoy watching her for as long as she's around. 

Danielle was a nice dancer, but she didn't really stick out in my mind that much, sorry to say. I need to see her tomorrow night for a better read on her.

I only heard Bobby's name before, so this was a total introduction to him. He's very entertaining and I can see the hype. Getting the Jive as a person who doesn't have dance experience has to be tough but I think Bobby did what he could, and it wasn't horrible. He just needs to calm down because I think he could be better when calm. Also, I don't think I'll be able to handle watching him for weeks if he's like this. 

Juan Pablo is another celeb I was rooting for before the premiere so I hoped he wouldn't disappoint. And he did NOT. Oh man, his dance was so much fun to watch. Plus, he's pretty good. I am also definitely rooting for him. I'm looking forward to seeing other types of dances that he does. 

Unfortunately for Nikki, we had seen a lot of solid dances before hers. On another season, her dance would have still been mediocre, but it might not have been a potential kiss of death for this first week. We'll see if she has the fanbase to have her last a little longer. 

I missed Alexis' dance with Alan so I'll have to comment on it later.

John's not great, but he tried his hardest. I also expected him to be much worse. I don't argue against his score.

Tinashe was fantastic, to nobody's surprise. I actually did note a couple of mistakes on her end, but that's a good thing for me. I don't want to see someone dance perfectly right off the bat. I like seeing people grow on this show, so this is a pure compliment on my end. You could tell she was incredibly nervous but that should make her better as she goes along. 

Nancy looked like she was having fun. She had a strong enough dance where I'd love to see her make it a few weeks. 

So...Joe is a bit creepy, and I'm not sure why. I like weird, but I'm not a fan of Joe. I mean, I'm always in for self deprecating humour, but I just wasn't feeling it with Joe. His dancing was alright but with the premiere being filled with a lot of strong dances, his wasn't that good. I see that he'll likely get other celebs with more potential eliminated before him, so maybe that's what is ultimately bugging me about him. Also, I guess along with the fact that I don't get his popularity. He's really nothing special, from what I see of him here. And the judges seem to reflect his...meh dancing. However, still not the worst we've seen so the four was a bit harsh. I will be surprised if he's eliminated first, but I honestly feel like he should be. Nikki and John weren't great, but they have more potential than Joe does for me. 

Well, I see why DeMarcus went last. Of course another football player who can dance and will get to the end. However, he really IS good and fun to watch. Plus, Lindsay is always excellent with working to her partner's strengths. 

I'll need to think about who my top three are at the moment, and who is in danger of leaving sooner rather than later. 

• Love 11

Out of the 27 season openers (?!) I have watched, I think Bobby wins from the most "OMGIGOTTHROUGHIT!" adrenaline rush ever.  When BRUNO says it's surreal, then you're either doing something really right or something really bizarre.  And that's with Tommy Chong's first dance included.

• Love 14

I have no,idea who this Bobby character is but he worked my last nerve. DeMarcus was good and no surprise since he’s a football player but at times he had the strangest posture.

i have a soft spot for Nancy since I loved Facts so so much so I hope she sticks around a few weeks.

my guess for the first week boot is the comedian. Nikki? 

• Love 10

I'm not voting for Grocery Store Joe so I don't have to see Kendall in the audience again.   (If you'd watched BIP, you'd understand.)     

I voted for Nikki G. because I thought Len and Bruno were unfairly harsh on her.   What was with that?   Do they not like her comedy routines? 

Nancy McKeon had great facial expressions and I join Carrie Ann in being peeved that Bruno made fun of her.   

John Schneider was a surprisingly smooth mover across the dance floor.   

I hope Bobby Bones keeps it up because it looks like the season's going to be a bit dull otherwise.    

• Love 3

I was bored. And I was hoping Grocery Store Joe would shock us and be great.  But he didn’t and he wasn’t. 

Jenna is engaged to Val?

Cheryl is looking pretty awesome. 

Sharna’s hair gives me a headache. 

• Love 16

Hello everyone!  Back for a brand new season.

Not terribly impressed with the opening dance.  Another Mandy mess.  This is primarily a ballroom show - can't she learn a little bit to represent in the pro dances? Or just turn the choreo over to someone else and she can help with the camera angles.  Also, gotta say that kaleidoscope was completely spoiled by seeing people pulling and pushing the segments around. UGGGG!  Well, here goes:

Mary Lou/Sasha:  Right off the bat, rushing - she was ahead half a beat the whole dance but that could just be first night nerves.  An obvious lift (not "almost" a lift, CAI!).  At one point she looked like she stalled but Sasha pulled her through without being too obvious.  Good job for going first on night one.  I hope someone talks to her about the extreme "photo smile".  She may (or may not) be truly happy, but that grin is to make a nice photo, not to convey emotion. It's a mask.  If she wants us to fall in love with her and support her journey, she needs to drop the mask and show her real self...of course, all JMO!

Milo/Witney:  I happen to follow Witney on IG and I have not been impressed - he seems very low energy for a 17 year old. I guess Witney is right to hope he has dance experience if he sits around so much during rehearsals. His posture is bothering me.  He didn't seem very controlled over his limbs - both arms and legs looked floppy.  She needs to work at dancing up to his height.

Evanna/Keo:  Very nice, personable, no obvious errors.  She didn't seem to know what to do with her hands.  Very cute, but she needs to curb the cutseiness.  Is she Irish? I'm picking up slight twangs of something in her accent.  What prompted the 5 from Len? 

Danelle/Artem:  A little awkward but amazing to have developed so much trust in a short amount of time. She visibly relaxed once she got into hold.  Bruno can't demonstrate saying here or there. She can't see what he's pointing to. I didn't time it but it seemed extremely short, even compared to the other dances.

Bobby/Sharna:  A little out of control but he sure was having fun! LOL!  Loads of energy, sync issues, timing was off but boy was that fun to watch!  I usually pity the ones who get jive first night, but I think that was the only dance that could withstand him! 

Juan Pablo/Cheryl:  He's been looking very good on Cheryl's IG stories.  Yep! Good looks, sex appeal, moves easily, Cheryl as trainer...he's a contender for sure.  Surprised CAI wasn't drooling.  No obvious errors, just some general refinement needed. Great job! Hmmm I've never before seen anyone put on a heavy coat right after dancing.  Usually they're fanning themselves and trying to blot off the sweat without messing up the makeup. Someone put a coat over Cheryl also but she shrugged it off.  An 8 on week one?  Welllll, he did a great job though.

Nikki/Gleb:  A lot of attitude going on there.  Maybe it wasn't so kind putting her right after Juan Pablo.  Agree with Len - it was awkward.  She seemed to know all the moves but she didn't know how to go from one move to the next.

Alexis/Alan:  we probably know her from social media? Well, ... nope!  I did look her up though.  I guess she models underwear for IG.  Anyway, Alan seemed to be pulling her through at times but the side-by-side and kicks and flicks were done well.  Fun choreo from Alan.  What happened to the camera?  Did the cameraman fall over or something. There didn't seem to be any distress over a wardrobe malfunction.

John/Emma:  He's not a natural mover and looked like he was thinking of each move.  He got the ups and downs with the steps but there was no flow.  Good effort for first night.

Tinashe/Brandon:  A little out of sync but a good job.  A solid first time out for Brandon.  Does she tour?  I hope he doesn't have to contend with travelling his first time out.

Nancy/Val:  Loved her on Facts of Life.  Funny that they make a big deal about the motorcycle but then didn't show her face.  Seriously? A quickstep on night one?  No body contact. Giant break in hold. Unfair assignment for night one!  She did well though for such an energetic dance.

Grocery Joe/Jenna:  I heard he sold his grocery store. (He was previously a Wall St. guy so I guess he's not hurting for money.)   Another quickstep and the same errors, break in hold and no body contact. Did one choreograph both?  That was very awkward. Too many errors to list.  Then I guess he gave up and just stood there at the end.  But comparing him to a pimple was unnecessary, Len. Haven't seen a 4 paddle in a while.  Poor guy - he looks defeated.

DeMarcus/Lindsay:  I hate the floppy jacket - button it or take it off.  I realize she wants him to show off his body but the jacket just looks messy.  She was dancing circles around him.  He seems to have a bit of natural movement but time will tell.  She needs to feature him more.  She's excited to get the footballer and tonight she got the pimp spot.  That's not a guaranteed win.

I thought originally there was going to be an elimination tonight and another tomorrow night. I guess they changed that.  Anyway. I have no idea who most of these people are (only know Nancy, Mary Lou, John and an awareness that Joe was on the Bachelorette) or how popular they are.  I love the Harry Potter series but I'd have never recognized Evanna since she's grown up.   No real sense of who might go home tomorrow.  By scores, Joe, but apparently he was very popular with the Bachelor fans.  Maybe Tinashe?  Has anyone heard of her? And with Brandon being a new pro, I'd guess maybe either her or Nikki.  Well, less than 24 hrs and we'll see.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 5

I was watching (sort of) while on the phone with my mom, who's the DWTS fan.    I saw performances from Bobby Bones going forward. 

Most did ok to very good, with Grocery Joe being meh.  Unless he has a big fanbase, he may be going (or perhaps the comedienne).

John Schneider did ok; I thought he was in musical theatre, so I thought he'd be better than he was.  

Nancy did well, I just was preoccupied with her dress.  It made her look heavier than she is and dowdy.  

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Milo has a LOT of energy. He does need to tone it down...but he's not bad at all. The few seasons I've seen, a lot of taller celebs are very lanky and dance small. Milo didn't dance small and I think that was a benefit for him. I think he'll be fun to watch. 

I only heard Bobby's name before, so this was a total introduction to him. He's very entertaining and I can see the hype. Getting the Jive as a person who doesn't have dance experience has to be tough but I think Bobby did what he could, and it wasn't horrible. He just needs to calm down because I think he could be better when calm. Also, I don't think I'll be able to handle watching him for weeks if he's like this. 

Juan Pablo is another celeb I was rooting for before the premiere so I hoped he wouldn't disappoint. And he did NOT. Oh man, his dance was so much fun to watch. Plus, he's pretty good. I am also definitely rooting for him. I'm looking forward to seeing other types of dances that he does. 

Tinashe was fantastic, to nobody's surprise. I actually did note a couple of mistakes on her end, but that's a good thing for me. I don't want to see someone dance perfectly right off the bat. I like seeing people grow on this show, so this is a pure compliment on my end. You could tell she was incredibly nervous but that should make her better as she goes along. 

Nancy looked like she was having fun. She had a strong enough dance where I'd love to see her make it a few weeks. 

Excellent post in general, but fully agreed on these points especially. Tinashe, Evanna, Milo, DeMarcus, and Juan Pablo are my top picks at this point, and I think Nancy and Nikki could potentially be interesting dark horses as the season goes on (and if Nikki manages to shake off her nerves, which I totally don't blame her for having!). Milo and Witney have a cute chemistry that'll be fun to watch, as do Juan Pablo* and Cheryl, and I laughed when Bruno compared Bobby to Buddy Holly, 'cause that comparison came to my mind as well :D. 

But yeah. Overall, not a bad night to kick things off. 

*Also, on a totally shallow note, I've never seen any of the stuff Juan Pablo's been in, but I may have to remedy that, 'cause uh, yeah. He's damn easy on the eyes, for sure :D. 

• Love 6

Jeez, Bobby Bones is for this season what Charo was like when she was on. Way too OTT. Even Gary Busey wasn't as OTT!

I was commenting to my husband that there was no one who really sucked so far until Joe came on. That was painful.

I didn't mind Nancy's facial expressions for this particular dance, it worked. It wouldn't work as well for a Paso Doble, for example.

Evanna and John both danced the Foxtrot with the same distribution of scores (7, 5, 6). Except I thought the 5 from Len for Evanna was too low, and the 7 from CAI for John was too high.

Tinashe, Juan Pablo, DeMarcus are my picks, with Milo and Evanna as dark horses.

Edited by madpsych78
  • Love 7

It's super annoying that Grocery Joe is going to (most likely) outlast a number of better dancers thanks to Bachelor/Bachelorette/Bachelor in Paradise nation. He was terrible, full stop. Closing in on Master P. level terrible. And low-key, I think he'd rather be anywhere else than on DWTS.

I thought Evanna got low-balled, but if her getting low-balled keeps Nikki G (who also got low-balled, at least by 1 point). in it for one extra week....then honestly I'm ok with it. The powers that be need to see Keo go out first one more time to maybe, finally boot him off for good.

My favorites were Alexis (minus the weird camera fail at the end), DeMarcus (he can dance and I actually think he's going to be even better in the standard dances than he is in the latin ones), and Milo (I didn't really have a positive or negative view of him going into it, but he seemed smooth and happy to be out there).

Was impressed with Danelle and Artem (despite it being super duper slow), but I just wonder outside of the waltz or other hold intensive dances...how impressive she can really be. It also wouldn't shock me if she's gone next week in the double elimination. She needs to involve Aziza the dog more, that would help.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I wonder why the costume department dressed Nancy so frumpily. Both the intro dress and the dress she danced in belonged on an older more heavy set woman.  She has a pretty decent body which we saw in the rehearsal footage. 

14 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

Nancy did well, I just was preoccupied with her dress.  It made her look heavier than she is and dowdy.  

These were my thoughts also. I was just trying to figure out who dressed her...she didn't need the overlay on that dress. And white always makes one look larger! Wish she had been dressed in a dark blue or green.

All in all, a pretty good first night. I did wonder about the Harry Potter girl's score from Len. Here Keo finally gets someone who can dance and was still scored down. What is up with that? I sure hope Grocery Store Joe goes first...that was painful!

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

John Schneider did ok; I thought he was in musical theatre, so I thought he'd be better than he was.  

I hadn't heard he'd been in musical theatre, but he's got a gorgeous singing voice.

• Love 8

I thought Bobby's reaction was hysterical and I couldn't stop laughing, but I think if he keeps that up it will grate on people quickly. Hopefully he tones it down because I really enjoyed him.

Nancy and John were both better than I expected them to be, but WTF was Nancy wearing? That whole look was awful. I also really enjoyed Artem and Danielle and hope she gains a little confidence from how well she did and lasts awhile.

Tinashe rubbed me the wrong way. I don't know if it was arrogance or what, but I just didn't care for her at all.

If they were going to have Rashad host an online show, then why not just bring back All Access and the online cameras? I miss those.

My early pick for last two standing are DeMarcus and Juan Pablo. I'd love to see Cheryl win again after all these years. And kudos to Erin for mentioning Cheryl's engagement. Everyone's so hung up on shoving Val and Jenna down our throats that no one has even bothered to acknowledge that Cheryl just got engaged too.

I really really really dislike Jenna. That is all.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

If they were going to have Rashad host an online show, then why not just bring back All Access and the online cameras? I miss those.

What online show? I hadn't heard about this.

27 minutes ago, Uke said:

Evanna/Keo:  Very nice, personable, no obvious errors.  She didn't seem to know what to do with her hands.  Very cute, but she needs to curb the cutseiness.  Is she Irish? I'm picking up slight twangs of something in her accent.  What prompted the 5 from Len? 

Yes, she's Irish. I want her to do well because I like Keo and he never seems to get very far.

I missed most of the skier's dance because I accidentally hit a button on my remote just after they came down the steps and turned off my cable box. By the time I figured out what I had hit and turned it back on they were hugging at the end.

• Love 7

I thought all the women tonight were surprisingly tame.  Tinashe was obviously the best but she had some weird choreography.  Danelle could be interesting but I suspect they’ll front load her with a bunch of standard dances until the votes slow down.

Bobby’s dance reminded me a lot of Kyle Massey’s first dance where it was unexpectedly very high energy.  If he settles down I think he’ll go far.  Bobby knows how to fine-tune his personality to whatever he’s doing pretty well so I expect the showmanship to be on point.  It just depends if he can keep up ability-wise.

Can we trade Milo for Camryn Manheim please?  (Yes I know that’s his mom).

I predict the bottom feeders this week will be Grocery Store Joe, Alexis the Instagram Model, and Nikki Glaser.   

• Love 2

Bruno trying to show blind Danelle what muscles to use was possibly the most Bruno thing of all time. I couldn’t stop laughing for about 5 minutes after that.

Joe and Jenna are going to grate very fast when they’re still here outlasting better dancers in a few weeks time. Bobby Bones will also grate if he continues the way he did after his dance. Also something was a little off about Alexis but that may just be me.

Enjoyed the premiere though in large, no real standouts. Tinashe, DeMarcus and Juan Pablo will all go far you’d imagine. Despite the 5 you could tell Evanna was a good dancer as well by the speed of her spins and movements, she’ll get much better scores in the future. 

• Love 16

I think what bothered me the most about it is that he didn't give a single reason for it. I knew he wasn't in love with it, when he gave that weird review that she's definitely a dancer but unfortunately she got a dance that wasn't a good fit for her. When Len said that, you saw on Keo's face that he knew that wasn't a good sign. But I don't think he was expecting the 5 at all and neither was I. I just think when you score someone that low, at least have the courtesy of telling them where it went that wrong - was it her footwork, body contact, arms, etc. Something - but Len didn't do that and just gave the girl a 5. 

Clearly I'm in the minority because while Juan Pablo seems lovely and I'm always rooting for Cheryl, I think he was over scored. I did not get those 8's at all. But whatever. Tinashe is good but she's not going to win this show. Too many years of watching this thing and seeing how voting plays out makes me know that her personality is not one that plays to this show's audience. Just to be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with her personality but she wasn't bubbly, she didn't do the overly cutesy excited thing, she didn't seem nervous, she was cool, confident and nailed it. Yeah, she's not winning. Especially since unfortunately for her, she got a new Pro, which means he doesn't come with his own huge fanbase to help carry them for a number of weeks. 

And oh look, the football player is smooth and fun. Haven't seen that one before. Lindsey's eyeing for that second mirrorball. Don't really know who I think will win since I don't really think there's a clear cut favorite this season. Hell, I'm not even sure who'll be in the final four. This season has a lot of question marks regarding fanbases, which is key to winning this thing.  And there are a lot of people with some potential. As for who'll go first, my money's on Nikki, Alexis. or Evanna. Nikki was bad and forgettable (I swore her name was Kelly when I started typing this so that should tell you something), Evanna really got screwed by Len with that five and she has Keo who doesn't exactly carry a huge fanbase and Alexis, while showing loads of potential, I feel like she maybe got lost in the crowd. 

Finally, did Nancy piss off someone in wardrobe because wow, that costume was awful. 

• Love 16

Same on Nancy’s wardrobe. Now I get the impression she’s not comfortable showing skin or is a bit uneasy wearing things that are form fitting, but there are ways to cover her up that are not that.

So the good news is that there really were very few trainwrecks. Joe and Nikki were worst of the lot in different ways and Nikki would likely have been better served by a pro not named Gleb. Joe just lost the whole dance.  That said, Joe isn’t going anywhere for quite awhile no matter how bad be dances.  Facebook and other online venues are full of screeching middle aged women talking about how mean the judges were to poor old Joe.

Other than that, I don’t know what happens when Danielle gets a dance not in hold. Or is the show hoping she won’t be around that long.  

Evanna was lowballed with that 5. Nancy is no natural dancer but I was expecting a trainwreck and so I was pleasantly surprised.  Loved Milo. While I’m sick of football players, the good ones win me over.

Everyone else was pretty decent for week one even though I don’t remember anything Mary Lou did.

Oh and how annoying was Jenna’s over the top reaction to Bachelor dude. I know those meeting things are faked but you would have thought royalty walked into the room the way she was screaming.

Nikki is probably most at risk of elimination tomorrow night but that could change if anyone gets a really bad edit tomorrow.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 9

There’s always too many in the beginning and I lose track of who I like, so annoyances: First, Sharna’s hair. It hurts my eyes and looks like plastic. Second, Jenna and Joe. Jenna just because she’s so... her. Joe underwhelmed me on BIP and I fully expect him to bore me here. Third, what was up with the camera work tonight? There were a couple of big missteps. It seemed like a cameraman  might have fallen down from one of the camera angles. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, spanana said:

Oh and how annoying was Jenna’s over the top reaction to Bachelor dude. I know those meeting things are faked but you would have thought royalty walked into the room the way she was screaming.

Seriously. Calm the eff down, Jenna, George Clooney didn't walk into your rehearsal studio, it's just some guy that got kicked off The Bachelor Week One. (It would make my life if George were to do a mini video-clip for Nancy one week, however.) Loved Tom shading Jenna about how she was as excited for Joe as she was when Val proposed to her.

• Love 20
37 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

They announced after one of the dances that he would be hosting a behind the scenes at DWTS online show on ABC.com.

Oh thanks. I totally missed it.

I feel like maybe Nikki will go. Her act seems out of step with the "fun for the whole family" vibe of the program so I don't think she'll have a big voting base watching.

The model was good but anyone who describes their job as "social media influencer"? No.

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Seriously. Calm the eff down, Jenna, George Clooney didn't walk into your rehearsal studio, it's just some guy that got kicked off The Bachelor Week One. (It would make my life if George were to do a mini video-clip for Nancy one week, however.) Loved Tom shading Jenna about how she was as excited for Joe as she was when Val proposed to her.

Yes, except they can go easy on mentioning the engagement every five seconds. I get why since they are both on the show but nobody has paid Cheryl’s engagement even an iota of that attention...and yeah, I get it but I don’t like it when they do it in a way that takes time away from where the attention is supposed to be in these segments...on the celebs.

• Love 8

It seems like Len hates Keo.  He’s always been extra-harsh with Keo IMO.  Angers me greatly.

I predict Nikki will be the first to go, partially because of Gleb and his minimal fan base.

Danielle just amazed me and I’m not usually one to be an insta-fan of sob stories.  Can she see AT ALL?  Seemed like maybe she can see shadows and shapes, but I just don’t know.

DeMarcus is a delight - glad he’s on the show.  

Agree with the poster up above — Bruno...Danielle cannot see one thing you’re demonstrating!  

This is the first season when I’ve not recognized 90% of the “stars”.  This time around, I’m only name-familiar with 4 of them.  Dancing with the F-List Stars, if you ask me!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 8

I don’t think Len likes Keo and maybe that is why he gave Evanna the 5.  

MerBearHou- I saw your post after I posted- I’m with you on Keo! 

Len’s dislike of Keo makes it hard for me to watch the show. 

Edited by rockibirdi
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

Bruno trying to show blind Danelle what muscles to use was possibly the most Bruno thing of all time. I couldn’t stop laughing for about 5 minutes after that.

I was wondering if she had any vision, and found an article that quoted her as saying she has "spotted vision" and can see about 8 feet ahead (according to the wikipedia article on retinitis pigmentosa, complete blindness is uncommon). I don't know how recent that was (I didn't see a date on it) or if her vision is any different now, but she might be able to see a little of his...um...demonstrations... (if any of the judges would be visible to a blind person, it's Bruno. ?)

I loved how her guide dog just napped in the middle of the floor while they practiced.

29 minutes ago, Saylii said:

Can we trade Milo for Camryn Manheim please?  (Yes I know that’s his mom).

I didn't know that! Then again, he was one of the eight people in my "how many names do I not recognize" count during the introduction of the pairs. Not sure if that's a record or not at this point. I've never watched the Bachelor or any of its spinoffs; I don't follow sports so unless it's a really big mainstream name, I won't recognize it; and I don't watch teen/tween TV, so... but I grew up with the Facts of Life and Dukes of Hazzard and am still at heart that little girl who imagines herself flipping across the balance beam and flying from the uneven bars.

14 minutes ago, spanana said:

Now I get the impression she’s not comfortable showing skin or is a bit uneasy wearing things that are form fitting, but there are ways to cover her up that are not that.

Yeah, maybe start with not putting her in all white!

14 minutes ago, ramble said:

It seemed like a cameraman  might have fallen down from one of the camera angles. 

My former roommate and I still watch together via (mostly snarky) texting and I asked her if the cameraman got lost or something.

14 minutes ago, SHD said:

The model was good but anyone who describes their job as "social media influencer"? No.

Yeah, how/why is this a job?

• Love 8

Grocery Store NO!!!!

he ruined what was an otherwise surprisingly pleasant night.  The people who I thought would be wrecks were watchable (dukes of hazard guy, Bobby screaming guy, facts of life lady) and no one was an outright ringer.  There is room for improvement and charisma or fan bases can be great “it” factors.  

The comedian lady had odd posture.  She reminds me of someone who is media thin but lacking in muscles or strength.  He posture seemed like weak abs and noodle arms.  She had a good attitude though.  

Joe was Joe....so glad he was never picked for the Bachelor.  He’s just too boring.  Felt bad for him though....considering how well the other non dancing contestants did tonight he really laid an epic egg.  He can leave with Kendall tomorrow.  I’d like to give the other contestants another week to dance and get some tv exposure.

hey Bruno...gesticulate all you want but she’s blind, dude. 

• Love 8

Tinashe was good, but not like "look how much experience I have" good, a la Kristi or Alfonso. She could do well if she doesn't come off too cocky cause she's not stuck with someone like Val/Mark/Derek who would get the "ugh, they've won enough" stigma.

Evanna got TOTALLY shafted. Her dance was really, really good. I hope she continues to get better scores and the HP fandom votes for her.

Alexis might be a dark horse too cause while her type doesnt get votes from the demo, being good with a pro like Alan who people like and related the experience about her mom, could work for her.

DeMarcus and Juan Pablo were not as good as I thought they'd be.

The women stars continue to get nitpicked while the men got effort scoring, as per usual.

• Love 8

Artem is hotter with a little more weight on him.  He’s getting too skinny through the face.

And his partner is blind?  Yikes.  As a snowboarder I’ll tell you what I’m not doing is hurling myself down a mountain following the orange blur in front of me that is my husband.  Um no way.  And then jogging around a room and stepping down stairs all set to music?  Nope to that too.  I’m impressed.  

Artem needs to channel his inner Derek Hough and choreo the heck out of her story.  

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

And his partner is blind?  Yikes.  As a snowboarder I’ll tell you what I’m not doing is hurling myself down a mountain following the orange blur in front of me that is my husband.  Um no way.  And then jogging around a room and stepping down stairs all set to music?  Nope to that too.  I’m impressed.  

Hell, I'm too much of a wuss to try snowboarding at all :p. Seeing her do all of that made me feel like even more of a wimp. Respect, indeed. 

• Love 3

Okay, I want to know what drug Bobby Bones is on. The looks on Sharna's face is priceless. LOL!!!  OMG, how embarrassing  for Grocery Joe. Carrie Ann's comment on telling him he pushes a grocery cart well was rude. But, he is a lousy dancer. He is a clunker and don't think he will get better anytime soon. Especially with Jenna as his pro dancer partner. Danelle, the blind lady, did pretty well. But I wonder how she will do with dances where she can't be clinging to Artem through the whole dance.  Juan Pablo is easy on the eyes and a pretty good dancer. I didn't care for the choreo for this, I feel Cheryl did not push him hard enough. But it is week one, so I am sure she will give him harder dance moves in the future. The man is talented, and I am sure in more ways than one. Witney and Milo are really cute together. Milo did a pretty good job, and Witney looks happy she has him as a partner. Milo is tall, so he does need to control his arms and legs a bit more. Evanna and Keo did a good dance. Whether or not Keo's choreo will be good enough to take them to the end, is debatable. Maybe it's because Evanna was in those Harry Potter movies, but she comes off with a weird vibe to me. Nancy did look frumpy in that dress that looked like it was made for a 80 year old woman. Very unflattering and I felt it highlighted her butt, it looked huge.  Which I don't think she has. John moved pretty good and I have to say I am surprised. He was far from great, but definitely exceeded my expectations. Emma and Lindsay are a lot alike when it comes on how to handle their dance partner and make them shine, whether they are good or not. Even though they may realize their celeb partner won't take them to the finals, Emma and Lindsay seem to take the time so their celeb can enjoy the experience. That is not the case with all the pro dancers. Some of them check out once they realize their celeb partner is not up to par. Speaking of Lindsay, I think she has another ringer and could very well win another MBT. DeMarcus has got charisma and the man just glides across that floor.  Heavy competition from Tanashe, & Juan Pablo & perhaps Milo. Alexis could be a dark horse. BTW, what happened to the camera when Alexis and Alan were dancing. Did they knock it down? It didn't look like a wardrobe malfunction to me. Really strange. Anyway, looking forward to the show tomorrow. 

Edited by BeeBop88
  • Love 2

I just read about what Tuesday show will be...same dance style, different music. The first thing I thought of is how Evanna's dance will be scored by Lin since he said it was a dance she wasn't suited to.....will his feelings be the same with the second dance? Sure hope not, since I thought she looked good to me! Color me surprised at that 5 she received.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, tedd said:

what happened to normani, brandy, mya, simone, and zendaya will not happen to tinashe this season. not on my watch!!

275D7B5B-BADC-445D-AE98-ED73B39C661C.jpeg

First of all, this picture kills me LOL. Even when Erica was being way too much, there was something much more tolerable about her then, then how she is now.

Back on track, I can't thumbs up this comment enough. I am so tired of this narrative of talented, well established, strong work ethic women, ESPECIALLY women of color, being called arrogant because they actually show their confidence. They work in an industry where if they haven't built up that wall of "i'm a success" no matter what they would never make it. Why subject yourself to the judgement of a voting public if you didn't have that kind of confidence? What does a woman have to be to not be called arrogant? I don't need to see someone manically falling all over themselves thanking people every 5 seconds for the opportunity (they work for their opportunities) apologizing for their success (again, they worked for that), over the top bubbly, just so they can fit this narrow view of what being "humble" and approachable is. Sorry I'm just really over the women and WOC on this show being painted as arrogant when I can only think of ... 2  women who seemed to fit that mold, and I'm not going to name names lol. Rumer got that edit too at times but she had Val who people were really pulling to win since he hadn't at that point. 

Tinashe seems talented, happy to be there, wants to work hard (since that choreo did not look east for a week 1), and will get my votes.  

• Love 9

I didn't know hardly anyone, so that was weird.  But I thought many of them did really well for their first time out, which means several are going to be forgotten (not being well known and many in the same ability range).  I thought it was funny that Tinashe couldn't hide her disappointment that she got an unknown when they met.  She looked very disappointed to not know her pro dancer.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, alexa said:

I didn't know hardly anyone, so that was weird.  But I thought many of them did really well for their first time out, which means several are going to be forgotten (not being well known and many in the same ability range).  I thought it was funny that Tinashe couldn't hide her disappointment that she got an unknown when they met.  She looked very disappointed to not know her pro dancer.

I noticed that as well. I bet she thought she would get someone like Val with all her dance experience.

• Love 3