Type keyword(s) to search

Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I seriously don’t get the issue. Hyphenate  used that way is extremely common and was even explained in the clue that though he is an actor he only won  for being a writer and producer and gave the dates to make it even easier.

Apologies for not being au fait with everything Hollywood, but judging by the responses in the regular J! thread, I'm not the only one.

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It's nice to know you are human, @The Wild Sow. Sorry for your loss. (Heh heh. "Not really," said the person with score of 6.)

Your three asterisks have been added @biakbiak. You are now in the race for Asterisk Master.

Then we'd need one for clues Trebek screws up and ruins by his affected reading. I'd like to use a little dagger for that.

Oh, you mean a FONT dagger. Never mind.

For virtual stabbing, since we can't actually reach through the TV to get our revenge literally.

Edited by Brookside
For those who don't like split infinitives.
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

ologies for not being au fait with everything Hollywood, but judging by the responses in the regular J! thread, I'm not the only one.

But just because your not familiar with something doesn’t mean the question is unfair it’s sort of the point of Jeopardy.

• Love 1

Doug on Reddit:

Hey, Doug here. Yes, we did all think the answer had to be a hyphenated name. I knew the term multi-hyphenate, but I'd never seen it without the "multi-" before. I was certain I was going to lose which is why I did a joke answer, and I couldn't do the math fast enough to realize that I'd won, so I was genuinely surprised when Alex announced me as the winner.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Brookside said:

Doug on Reddit:

Hey, Doug here. Yes, we did all think the answer had to be a hyphenated name. I knew the term multi-hyphenate, but I'd never seen it without the "multi-" before. I was certain I was going to lose which is why I did a joke answer, and I couldn't do the math fast enough to realize that I'd won, so I was genuinely surprised when Alex announced me as the winner.

Interesting. I wonder if they will invite the 2nd & 3rd place finishers back.

I got FJ Wednesday, so am 2/3 for the week thus far with 1 *

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

Interesting. I wonder if they will invite the 2nd & 3rd place finishers back.

I got FJ Wednesday, so am 2/3 for the week thus far with 1 *

Probably not since it’s not an uncommon term and at the end of the day they clearly didn’t know who one beat original screenplay in 1998 and Best Picture in 2012.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm getting worse -- overall after tonight, I'm 9/20 with just one *.

I need weekly totals, not total totals. Please post total correct for each week and asterisks won per week so I can record them at the end of each week. Browncoat, you need to tell me Week 4 total and any asterisks for Week 4 only.

(edited)

Final Jeopardy WEEK 4 — A two ** week
*16. World Literature. In a recent poll of 125 authors, this long 1870s novel about a woman ranked as the greatest work of fiction of all time.  
*17. Oscar Hyphenates. This actor has never been nominated for acting–he won, though, as a writer for 1997 & as a producer for 2012. 
18. Cities in History. The Cathedral of St. Pierre was the center of the Calvinist reformation in this lakeside city.
19. International Crime. Italy’s Agromafia enriches itself through counterfeit versions of this “liquid gold” mentioned by Homer & Plato.
20. Military History. Prepared by the Chief of Staff to the Supreme Allied Commander, the “COSSAC Plan” outlined the details of this.

Edited by saber5055
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I need weekly totals, not total totals. Please post total correct for each week and asterisks won per week so I can record them at the end of each week. Browncoat, you need to tell me Week 4 total and any asterisks for Week 4 only.

Sorry about that!  I misread the clue and thought we were going for overall scores.  :)

For this week, I was 2/5, with one *.

• Love 1

Went 2/5 this week. Last night was my first instaget FJ of the season. And I got Ben Affleck, even though I thought it was wrong because I thought it had to be a hyphenated name. He came to mind pretty quickly, and I discounted it, but kept thinking and came to the conclusion that if I had been on the show, I would have written it down, despite thinking it was wrong, so I went with it (yes, this all took place in 30 seconds!). I've never heard hyphenate used in this way. J! assumed I'm hip to showbiz lingo, but I'm not. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Fex said:

I also got 4/5 this week! I almost overthought my way out of D-Day tonight, but smartened up in time.

I'll add my asterisks: two ** for week 2, and one * for week 4

• Love 1

2/5 (salvaged after going 0/3 to start the week).  I guessed Matt Damon on Tuesday, when I should have realized it would be Ben Affleck, since Damon is the far better actor and more likely to have had an acting nomination.  Picked Zurich instead of Geneva on Wednesday. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, GenerationX said:

2/5 (salvaged after going 0/3 to start the week).  I guessed Matt Damon on Tuesday, when I should have realized it would be Ben Affleck, since Damon is the far better actor and more likely to have had an acting nomination.  Picked Zurich instead of Geneva on Wednesday. 

Yep, Damon's been nominated for acting 3 times. There may be an Emmy nomination coming up next year.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:39 PM, opus said:

This week 1/5

The season 8/20

(Not playing the asterisk game)

saber, are we still supposed to get a "like" to denote our score has been registered?

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, opus said:

saber, are we still supposed to get a "like" to denote our score has been registered?

Yes, you do get a "like" once your score is recorded. Thanks for posting this since I not only missed recording you, I missed three others as well. Gah. Ya'll are now in. Like Flynn.

For Week 4 I'm still missing @Brookside, @GrannySmith, @JeezumCrow, @The Wild Sow and @Toothbrush.

Players @SHD, @Mystery Author and @Kathira appear to have given up. You guys can still play catch up though, just ask me which weeks are missing and you can get late totals in. I realize people do have real lives. Well, some of us. There is no deadline. We're all friends here. Well, some of us.

ETA: Brand new players are welcome too! Just jump in and post your past week scores. Great prizes are being awarded. You could "be a contender!"

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

I haven't given up, but probably should - ha ha. Sorry, I got behind in keeping track so had to go through this thread and recount.

WK 1 - 0/5

WK 2 - 2/5

WK 3 - 3/5

WK 4 - 1/5

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, SHD said:

I haven't given up, but probably should

Got you recorded SHD. Don't give up ... there could be a prize for someone who misses more than your contest host. Hey, a prize is a prize, right?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, you do get a "like" once your score is recorded. Thanks for posting this since I not only missed recording you, I missed three others as well. Gah. Ya'll are now in. Like Flynn.

Thanks. I know it's a lot of work for you to track all this. I just would've hated to see my awesome 1/5 week go to waste :)

• Love 3
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

For Week 4 I'm still missing @Brookside,

Thanks Saber5055.  Unfortunately I'm going to have to ungracefully withdraw from the competition due to last minute, open-ended travel.  :-(

I'll continue to follow along and root for my favourites at both ends of the spectrum.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Unfortunately I'm going to have to ungracefully withdraw from the competition due to last minute, open-ended travel. 

Open-ended travel vs. Final Jeopardy Contest. Ah, let me think about that ... NEVER! Enjoy your travels and stop in to see us so we can "go with" you vicariously, the only way I get to travel these days. You can still play, however, by answering the questions posted here in a late-player catch up. I refuse to "close" your account!

14 hours ago, Driad said:

Saber5055, when you decide on the prizes, please let us know.  If I win a puppy I'll need to find a new place to live.

I hadn't thought of that as a prize, but THANKS! for the idea! Oprah voice: YOU get a puppy, YOU get a puppy, YOU ALL get puppies! Yeay!

I've now increased contest winners to an even dozen. Plus a few "participation" prizes.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I've now increased contest winners to an even dozen. Plus a few "participation" prizes.

lol  Is this turning into an everyone gets a trophy situation?