Type keyword(s) to search

Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

On 10/10/2018 at 2:20 PM, saber5055 said:

Jeezum, I'd like to attend your next mini-mingle if that's okay with you.

Hello! ;) You can join me anytime!

I can’t believe I let myself get so far behind - I’ve been avoiding the threads so I wouldn’t accidentally see an answer, and after much binge/mingling, I’ve finally caught up. My score is clear evidence of the current burnout:

Week 5: 3/5; Week 6: 3/5; Week 7: 0/5

Full disclosure, I did get so far as “Is it whatever the creature is in Beowulf?” But since my 11th grade English class was the only one in the school that didn’t read it, I didn’t even realize I had heard the name before. Whoops!

(Methinks this weekend will be reserved for recharging my brain.)

Edited by JeezumCrow
Full disclosure provided to make myself feel a little less disappointed in my reigning golden goose egg
  • Love 2

4/5 this week. I have very little knowledge of US Presidents' summer or winter homes.

I've actually been doing better than usual so far this season.  I know I've gone over a week without getting any FJ's in past seasons.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I think I am two weeks behind in reporting but was 4/5 for both weeks.

You were two weeks behind, I was worried about you, I was almost ready to put the hounds on your trail. But good on you for having a life outside of The Final Jeopardy Contest! But seriously, welcome back.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I got 5/5!! I was so anxious waiting for FJ yesterday with the possibility of a perfect week hanging in the balance. I didn't know it, but guessed correctly based on "iron"

• Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

5/5 this week.

15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

This week was like a teen tournament week so 5/5!

Well, hoity toity to the both of yas. Said the person who got ONE this week. This game is starting to suck out my brain cells. You know, like a DYSON.

(Waiting for Toddler Tournament week.)

ETA: Fex sneaked in with a FIVE while I was posting the above. So, GOOD FOR YOU too, Fex, you little Smarty Pants.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

WEEK 8 Final Jeopardy Questions — No asterisks
26. Shakespeare. Aptly, Shakespeare used “moon” & “moonlight” more times in this play than in any other.
27. Today’s Innovators. The Ballbarrow was an early invention by this British man who’s had greater success with sophisticated household devices.
28. 1960s Films. Chocolate syrup, casaba melon & Playboy model Marli Renfro were enlisted to create an iconic scene in this film.
29. Historic Geography. A northern limit of the Roman Empire was a fortified road in Germany stretching 350 miles between these 2 rivers.
30. Surnames. Evoking speed & luxury, this one of the 10 most common Italian surnames goes back to the Latin word for iron.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Well, hoity toity to the both of yas. Said the person who got ONE this week. This game is starting to suck out my brain cells. You know, like a DYSON.

I think this game of ours is revving me up. I don't think I have done this well before, but now when FJ is about to come on, I get pumped up and clear my head. Most of this week's I didn't know so much as the clue lead me there. And at least two days I thought I was very wrong.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I think this game of ours is revving me up. I don't think I have done this well before,

LOL. I picture the mad scientist putting the metal helmet on me and transferring all my brain cells to you, via the metal helmet (with antenna!) on your head.

You're welcome.

5 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

2 of 5. Lame.

I know someone who did lamer this week. *cough*

• Love 1

Week 8: 5 for 5.

Trust me, no one is more surprised by this than me.

7 hours ago, Fex said:

I got 5/5!! I was so anxious waiting for FJ yesterday with the possibility of a perfect week hanging in the balance. I didn't know it, but guessed correctly based on "iron"

lol  I was feeling the same way.  I also got it based on iron.

Since the Teen Tournament starts next week, what are we doing about the contest?  Are we going to count everything as equal or not count tournaments?  Half a point?  Double points for ToC?  Inquiring minds need to know. :-/

• Love 5
(edited)
36 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Since the Teen Tournament starts next week, what are we doing about the contest?  Are we going to count everything as equal or not count tournaments?  Half a point?  Double points for ToC?  Inquiring minds need to know. :-/

I asked the contest owner and the reply was the contest will continue on a daily basis regardless of who is playing: teens, teachers, all stars or regular joes and janes. So see ya'll back here Monday for Week 9 and Final Jeopardy No. 31. No one will be shamed for missing teen or toddler answers, nor will anyone be shunned if you clean the FJ clocks next week. One for all and all for one, people!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Guess I'll have to watch the teens next week.

Or just tune in for FJ. I'm not forcing anyone to watch the entire show. I also expect Teen Tourney haters to get 5/5 for the week, which will help on their road to the contest high prize!

• Love 2

For some reason, I remember Alex saying that the Teen Tourney starts Wednesday--which would mean 3 weeks will be affected by the teens (Wed-Fri week 9, M-F week 10 and M,Tu week 11), not to mention what happens if there's another tourney immediately following the teens (teachers? TOC (assuming it's not cancelled by the All-Star games in Feb)?)

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I also expect Teen Tourney haters to get 5/5 for the week, which will help on their road to the contest high prize!

Unless the clue writers pander to the "nothing before our time" contestants with topics such as recent popular music (not my area of expertise).

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Driad said:

Unless the clue writers pander to the "nothing before our time" contestants with topics such as recent popular music (not my area of expertise).

I hope writers do the Nothing Before Our Time. It will make me feel better about the bad results I've gotten from all the Mythological Heroes, Solar System, Old English Literature and Opera FJs. More CardiB and less Tombaugh Regio suits me.

58 minutes ago, illdoc said:

For some reason, I remember Alex saying that the Teen Tourney starts Wednesday--which would mean 3 weeks will be affected by the teens (Wed-Fri week 9, M-F week 10 and M,Tu week 11), not to mention what happens if there's another tourney immediately following the teens (teachers? TOC (assuming it's not cancelled by the All-Star games in Feb)?)

Final Jeopardy happens every game, regardless of who is playing. So the FJ Contest will continue every day as well, regardless of who is playing. Knowledge is knowledge. (Or the lack of it for some of us. *cough*)

• Love 3

Week Eight:  4/5.  I knew about the chocolate syrup as blood in Psycho, but the casaba melon and Playboy model totally threw me off!

(Edited to add:  I often miss the show entirely, due to evening meetings of various kinds.  I have taken to looking at the question on TheJeopardyFan.com, and then humming the Jeopardy song to give myself time to come up with the answer!)

Edited by j5cochran
  • Love 4

I'm back! Greece (and one day in Turkey) was wonderful. I even used my FJ knowledge by knowing that the turquoise jewelry I saw in Turkey was named for the country.

Checked the archives and found that I'm still in contention for the worse score prize. Week 7: 1/5, week 8: 2/5, no *. Maybe I'll do better when the Teen Tournament starts.

Fun fact: On the plane coming back to the States, one of the movie selections was a documentary on the history of game shows narrated by our own Alex Trebek. It was very interesting and Alex was on screen a lot, interviewing his fellow game show hosts. I also learned that Alex started his career hosting a Canadian version of American Bandstand. Check it out if you get a chance.

• Love 4

COOL! GQJane. What a great trip, and a bonus getting to use your turquoise Jeopardy knowledge. I hope you got to impress everyone around you with that. Then the Trebek movie on the plane ride home ... you must have magical powers. In any case, Good For You! (We all can use a drink.)

• Love 1
On 11/5/2018 at 7:44 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

I'm back! Greece (and one day in Turkey) was wonderful. I even used my FJ knowledge by knowing that the turquoise jewelry I saw in Turkey was named for the country.

Checked the archives and found that I'm still in contention for the worse score prize. Week 7: 1/5, week 8: 2/5, no *. Maybe I'll do better when the Teen Tournament starts.

Fun fact: On the plane coming back to the States, one of the movie selections was a documentary on the history of game shows narrated by our own Alex Trebek. It was very interesting and Alex was on screen a lot, interviewing his fellow game show hosts. I also learned that Alex started his career hosting a Canadian version of American Bandstand. Check it out if you get a chance.

We found the documentary on Amazon Prime, "Game Change". We watched part of it last night, but stopped it to watch Jeopardy. Looking forward to the rest of it tonight.

24 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

We found the documentary on Amazon Prime, "Game Change".

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it originally aired on Buzzr TV a few years ago. Two hours, old game show hosts?

3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

It was called Game Changers. Alex interviewed Vanna White, Howie Mandel, Drew Carey, and Regis Philbin, among others.

So many shows with similar names came up when I searched, so I guess I forgot the "ers,"  ? Anyway, we're enjoying it.

Edited by Clanstarling