Type keyword(s) to search

Season 35 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

Good game today. I wish FJ had been harder. It was an instaget for me, and I assumed all three contestants would get it right as well. 

I had curtain call, seminar, text neck, and baloon dog on a complete guess. 

• Love 1

WEEK 5 Final Jeopardy -- No asterisks this week.
21. U.S. Capitol Art. Of the 23 lawgivers depicted on marble portraits over doors in the U.S. House chamber, he’s the only one in the Bible.
22. World Leaders. He was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize twice & the Literature prize 7 times, winning for the latter in 1953.
23. Mythological Heroes. The second half of his service to Eurystheus took him to 6 different places, like Crete, Thrace & the underworld.
24. Broadway Musicals. The title of this 1947 Lerner & Loewe musical may come from the construction seen here.
25. Charles Dickens. Both “Barnaby Rudge” & this other famous Dickens novel begin in 1775 & deal with mob violence.

3 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

4/5. Just missed Thursday. Stupid bridge.

Agree about the bridge thing. If the photo hadn't been shown, I might have gotten the answer. Instead I spent all my time thinking "bridge, bridge ..."

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Agree about the bridge thing. If the photo hadn't been shown, I might have gotten the answer. Instead I spent all my time thinking "bridge, bridge ..."

With the Colonel Bogey March humming along in the background? ;)

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

With the Colonel Bogey March humming along in the background? ;)

YES! And with images (in black and white) of Alec Guinness in full British military uniform playing in my head.

• Love 1

After doing totals for weeks 1 through 5, and only being able to figure those who have reported scores so far, there are leaders in the categories of High, Low and ASSterisk. Everyone else: Challenge these leaders! Meanwhile, prizes were purchased yesterday. Trust me not to lose them (or keep them!) before the end of the season.

Now, on to Week 6.

• Love 2

3/5 last week. 

Sorry for the delay in reporting. Unexpected series of night shifts got me all turned around. If I don't plan my sleep right, they can disrupt my whole life. Nobody look in my kitchen... my (nonexistent) roommate didn't do any housework while I zombied the week and weekend away! How rude.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Have we decided if Leningrad is acceptable for last night's FJ? If so, I'm 3/3 this week!

The majority (meaning those few who have bothered to reply) say Leningrad is an acceptable answer. So yes to Leningrad.  Petrograd will also be accepted if anyone's brain dove that far into the past.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The majority (meaning those few who have bothered to reply) say Leningrad is an acceptable answer. So yes to Leningrad.  Petrograd will also be accepted if anyone's brain dove that far into the past.

Y'all are generous, because I'm the opposite; I think they clearly wanted St. Petersburg, but the wording allows one to make an argument for Petrograd (the clue in whole seeks the city that exists, but the beginning phrase about when "this city" was founded gives rise to the possibility of accepting Petrograd).  Leningrad, though, I don't see how you succeed in making a case for that one.

Edited by Bastet
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Y'all are generous, because I'm the opposite; I think they clearly wanted St. Petersburg, but the wording allows one to make an argument for Petrograd (the clue in whole seeks the city that exists, but the beginning phrase about when "this city" was founded gives rise to the possibility of accepting Petrograd).  Leningrad, though, I don't see how you succeed in making a case for that one.

I don't think anyone's argued that they weren't looking for St. Petersburg. But more that we're going to accept it, because a) it's our fun little side game and b) it isn't like Jeopardy hasn't ultimately accepted answers that were not only what they weren't looking for, but were in fact wrong.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

it isn't like Jeopardy hasn't ultimately accepted answers that were not only what they weren't looking for, but were in fact wrong.

So much word to this, like accepting "Pinochet" in the "A.P. Names" category today. Kit Pinochet? Or Carson Pinochet? None of those three answers fit the category.

• Love 2