Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I’d have been rooting for Tara even without “knowing” her, as a black woman facing two white men.  (If demographics didn’t lead me toward a contestant, I’d have gone by subject taught and rooted for the Civics guy.) 

Same here, except for subject I would go for science or math, especially middle school. 

My mother taught English. I have been an editor. Some of my friends are editors and writers.  We have a truce about not correcting each other's grammar.

Again, Teebax, you're a champ!

• Love 7

Great job Teebax!  You were an excellent contestant.  I wanted to kick Mr. Smarty Pants in the middle off his podium and also wanted to give Trevor a Valium because he looked like he was going to lose it at any time.  If I ever got on a show like Jeopardy I wouldn't even be able to remember my name.  I never do well on the anagrams categories.  My mind isn't that quick. Congratulations on being the only one to get Final Jeopardy too. 

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, Driad said:

Same here, except for subject I would go for science or math, especially middle school. 

None of those were at play today; we had Spanish, English, and Civics/World History.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Driad said:

I got FJ from the category, didn't need the clue.  🙂

Ha! Me too. That’s a game I play every episode: See the FJ category, guess an answer. I’m always surprised and stupidly pleased with myself when I am right, which happens more often than you might think. I must have a telepathic link with one of the writers. 😉

Congrats Teebax! You did awesome. I’m sure your kids are very proud. I for one am jealous— what a great experience! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Brava, @teebax!  

You ended up with a couple of guys with lightning fingers, but you definitely held your own.  And you got Final Jeopardy! (Really, a blind teacher in the late 1800s. Duh!)

Now you have to report back when you have your first celebrity sighting - when you get recognized in public by a total stranger.  I was in the checkout line in Kroger's, and a woman in the next line said, "didn't I see you on television . . . you were on Jeopardy!"  It is the coolest thing!

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Hey @teebax we share a name (and pronunciation)! Glad you had a great time.

Count me in as another who preguessed Annie Sullivan.

Same here and same here! 

@teebax you were awesome! My son's T-Ball game got called off due to rain tonight and usually I'd be bummed but that meant I was able to watch your episode. 

• Love 6

I thought today’s questions were considerably more difficult than yesterday's.

Me, too!

F'rinstance, Carl Sagan was the only clue I could get in that whole category.

Tara, I'm so proud of you. And you looked gorgeous in "power colors."

I kept saying to Mr. Author, "Dammit, she's getting beat by the buzzer!" I'm not bias or anything (the hell I'm not), but I bet you'd have won yesterday's game.

FJ was an instaget. Over the years I've seen The Miracle Worker countless times, always tearing up when Patty Duke says waaaa-waaaa for water.

When my EX-husband wanted me to cry, he'd say waaaa-waaaa.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, opus said:

I went over there just now, but I guess you can't go back to previous days, and I took off before I saw todays categories. Unless someone else saw it yesterday I'm just going to go with they gave Ottumwa a shout out.

I was just playing around with the Jeopardy skill on my Kindle, and it lets you go back to the start of the week for the J6 questions.  The extra Iowa clue was about "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", which I had no idea was set in Iowa (probably because I've never seen it--LOL!).

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, teebax said:

I played the oboe in orchestra and know it wasn't four feet freaking long. How embarrassing! 

That's OK.  It happens.  You focus on one part of the clue and that's that.

I said didgeridoo for lack of a better answer.

Edited by Katy M
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3

Just wanted to add my congratulations to @teebax!  Sorry things didn't go better for you.  Sometimes the categories just aren't in your wheelhouse, and sometimes you just get beat to the buzzer (that signalling device really is a beast).  But you did a great job, you had an interesting and somewhat unusual story to tell, and you were the only one who knew Final Jeopardy!  I hope that you had fun.

• Love 14

You know that old song K-K-K-Katy? Every time I see/hear Dukakis' name, I sing it to that song..."Michael Dukakis, Michael Dukakis..." (Thanks to a Mark Russell show on PBS)   ....so instead of answering in the form of a question, I sang it.

And a hearty CONGRATULATIONS! to Teebax!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

@teebax I was so happy to see you on Jeopardy last night. My world stopped for your appearance. You looked smart in your suit and had none of those annoying habits that we snark on here in this forum. I was very pleased and proud of you when you were the only player to come up with FJ. Good for you. How lucky your students are to have you as a teacher. What a thrill to be on the show and I hope that you really enjoyed your experience. 

• Love 15

@teebax, you got robbed on the chimes question. I was at the symphony this past weekend where they played that very instrument and the program called it "chimes." I really expected a correction after the commercial. Congratulations on a job well done!

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
(edited)
13 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

You did us proud, Teebax!  No wonder you're the cool teacher, it's not just your experience, it's all that knowledge of pop culture!  (I said those were chimes, too.)

I was curious what they were looking for with the BMS - since tubular bells was what they said. Tubular chimes?

12 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Congratulations on getting FJ - The Miracle Worker is one of my favorite plays/movies but don't know if I could have pulled Sullivan out in time - it might have come out Annie Bancroft.

I think I said Annie Bancroft - I knew who it was, and what the first name was - I just couldn't get to the last name!

9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Ha! Me too. That’s a game I play every episode: See the FJ category, guess an answer. I’m always surprised and stupidly pleased with myself when I am right, which happens more often than you might think. I must have a telepathic link with one of the writers. 😉

Congrats Teebax! You did awesome. I’m sure your kids are very proud. I for one am jealous— what a great experience! 

The mister and I do it with all the categories and FJ (for the categories we shout out a bunch of guesses) and we too are stupidly pleased when we are right - and give each other props when one of our guesses is the answer.

47 minutes ago, teebax said:

It had not. Jeopardy decided no longer to name our schools, and it was important to me that I mention mine. We're a small alternative public high school in a very large district, and very few people I meet even know we exist. Those who do know of it see it as a school for rejects who couldn't pass traditional school. In reality, it's way more complicated than that. Many of my students come from circumstances that could make your head spin. Teaching there is very challenging but also incredibly rewarding. 

By the way, the ear tug was for you guys. I mentioned this group in an interview last night following my party, but I think they edited it out. I thought about finger guns, but I can't pull that off without looking ridiculous.

When you tugged your ear, I said to the mister, that's for us in the forum! Everyone beat me to it - but it can stand repeating - you did us all proud. And I'm especially glad you mentioned your school - we have a similar school where I live (in a small town) and know they do great work.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 11

@teebax, it was a pleasure watching you on Jeopardy! last night.  You were so calm and cool - no wonder you are 'the cool teacher':)

I just wasn't sure it was Annie Sullivan so I kept mum.  I was going to say Patty Duke but I knew that wasn't quite right:)

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, teebax said:

We're a small alternative public high school in a very large district, and very few people I meet even know we exist. Those who do know of it see it as a school for rejects who couldn't pass traditional school. In reality, it's way more complicated than that. Many of my students come from circumstances that could make your head spin. Teaching there is very challenging but also incredibly rewarding. 

I am in awe. My son, now 29, went to a school for special needs students from age 15-23. Wow. Talk about challenging. I so admired all of the teachers and staff for their dedication and love. (I'm tearing up now.)

By the way, the ear tug was for you guys. I mentioned this group in an interview last night following my party, but I think they edited it out.

If I were watching the show with anyone, I would have said, "That's for me! I know her!"

I thought about finger guns, but I can't pull that off without looking ridiculous.

Yeah, I know. As much as I would like to see it from someone I know -- from anyone else, it's stupid -- I could never do it if I were on the show.

How frustrated were you with the buzzer? You didn't look it. Are you always so cool. Well, I know you are COOL, but are you always so calm?

• Love 11

I dunno. The only time I *ever* heard them called "Tubular Bells" was when that Mike Oldfield/Theme to the Exorcist came out in the 70s.  Having been fond of several orchestral percussionists in my lifetime, I know them as chimes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I suppose. *kicks can* I was hoping for finger-guns.

If you watch the video at Jeopardy.com that promos the teachers, at the end all the contestants are lined up and, to my eyes, @teebax does double finger guns. Correct me if I'm wrong, and it's just a split second, but that's what I saw. I took it as our own personal shout out.

It stinks that I missed the episode, and YouTube no longer posts episodes, so I am doubly screwed. I did get FJ from TJF.com earlier in the day and was so proud of myself to instantly answer, it was so easy, HELEN KELLER.

Yeah, I had that kind of day yesterday.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, teebax said:

Here's a link to my feature. 

That's an excellent article, very well written. That newspaper "reporter" needs to take a lesson. (Quotes because she was anything but.)

• Love 3

From Wikipedia:

"Tubular bells (also known as chimes) are musical instruments in the percussion family. Their sound resembles that of church bells, carillon, or a bell tower; the original tubular bells were made to duplicate the sound of church bells within an ensemble."

• Love 5

I missed it! (Tuesday’s are tumbling nights, so I’m catching up on grading at the gym.). Can you watch past episodes on the Jeopardy site?  Or on any streaming services?

Y'know, security blanket briefly entered my mind, but I dismissed it quickly, and went with "hush-hush" for no reason whatsoever.  Boo, hiss.

I did, however, get cacao and cheat.  There may have been others, but I was distracted by Alex's pronunciation of Francois.  And also by the one woman's pronunciation of La Boheme. 

And apparently we've graduated from Women Authors to Women Olympians.  Ugh.

• Love 4

I can't believe the teachers missed cheat.  I was yelling Custer at the TV.  And spell it on the last bean clue.  That was kind of weird only because the previous clue was also a speller.  If that had been the first clue or the first after they had hopped away, I would have understood that better.

I got security blanket after first saying good grief.  I knew that was wrong obviously, but the brain comes up with what the brain comes up with.  

I also said calcium, so I'd glad the judges gave credit for it.

Did much better tonight than last night.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I got typing. I don't know what brand of antacid uses bismuth carbonate, but all the ones in my house are calcium carbonate.

I, too, remember Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, although I never saw or used it/her.

If you have Pepto-Bismol in your medicine chest, you do indeed have bismuth in the house. Meanwhile, that was one TERRIBLE clue. WTH writers, this isn't SNL, can the jokes, please.

I got Custer. Don't remember any other TSs. FJ was a No Way Never. At least we got an asterisk for the contest. It's been a while, thanks to James AND @teebax!

24 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was distracted by Alex's pronunciation of Francois.  And also by the one woman's pronunciation of La Boheme. 

I missed both, not paying attention. Was Francois "Fran-swah" or "Fran-koyz"? I've heard it both ways. And I say "La Bow-hem" but what do I know.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I got security blanket after first saying good grief.  I knew that was wrong obviously, but the brain comes up with what the brain comes up with.  

I said “good grief” too, but I stuck with it. It made as much sense as the answer “warm puppy” but wasn’t as adorable.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Was Francois "Fran-swah" or "Fran-koyz"? I've heard it both ways. And I say "La Bow-hem" but what do I know.

It was "Fran-swah" but in that exaggerated way Alex has.  I heard the woman say "La Bow-Him", which is probably a result of living in Kentucky (I think she was the Kentucky one).  But I do not give her a pass, because I grew up not terribly far from Kentucky, in the mountains/coalfields, and I can do way better than that with pronunciation.  Not quite like Alex, of course, but still.

• Love 4
On 5/4/2019 at 10:48 AM, teebax said:

I agree. James is really impressive, but I find myself not wanting to watch every day because it's almost never a competitive game. I'd be looking forward to the tournament next week even if I weren't in it. 

I was interviewed by the Tucson ABC affiliate last week, and I'll post a clip of it when it airs on Tuesday morning. They spent a lot of time at my school, and I had a chance to talk about how great my students and admin are. They recorded me teaching and interviewed a couple of my students, so they are really excited to see themselves on TV. 

Wow that you post on this board and you were on the show. I found you very likable.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It was "Fran-swah" but in that exaggerated way Alex has.

LOL. Now I have something to pay attention to next week. Thanks for the tip!

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

If you have Pepto-Bismol in your medicine chest, you do indeed have bismuth in the house

Yes, but the question was about an element with carbonate. The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol is bismuth subsalicylate, not carbonate.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

And I say "La Bow-hem" but what do I know.

Rethinking this, I'd say "la bow-em" like the H is silent. I've never actually had the opportunity to say it out loud, until now.

7 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Yes, but the question was about an element with carbonate. The active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol is bismuth subsalicylate, not carbonate.

Oh, okay. I stand by my original post that the clue was a horrible one. Not funny. Just bad. And wrong too. Thanks for clarifying!

Forgot to mention all three players got a GFY today. It's been a while. Cheers and bottoms up.

• Love 4

I finally got to watch tonight and join you on this thread. I got typing and almost cleaned up the opera/ballet category except I chickened out of answering the $2000 clue with "Russian ballet." Wonder if they would have taken that? But I KNOW the last name of those three sisters was a recent clue, and there was another clue which gave me major deja vu. I need to start studying the archive again instead of wasting my time combing YouTube for scraps of old episodes.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

And spell it on the last bean clue.  That was kind of weird only because the previous clue was also a speller.  If that had been the first clue or the first after they had hopped away, I would have understood that better.

That's what surprised me about her not only forgetting to spell it, but still not getting that was what she'd done wrong when Alex reacted and gave her the chance to correct herself (she squinted at the clue to see what she'd possibly misread, yet still didn't grasp the category), that they'd just returned to that category the clue before, so the spelling should have been fresh in her mind.

My other surprise was cacao as a TS; the clue instructed them not to make the spelling mistake, one contestant made it anyway, and the other two just stood there.  Cheat and typing as TS surprised me a little, but that was the big one.

Vicki had a couple of eye-raising wrong guesses, but I knew she was going to get retroactive credit for calcium; that was my answer based on ___ carbonate as an antacid, but it didn't fit the "clever" part of the clue, so I wasn't sure what they were going for. 

I'd have bet zero based on the FJ category, as I've never been a comics fan, but it turned out to be something I could guess (even though I have never actually read or watched anything Peanuts, it's so ubiquitous I've picked a lot of it up via cultural osmosis over the years, so somehow a kid with his blanket popped into my mind).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

Tonight I got cacao, Legends of Tomorrow, soprano, Champlain, and Do Unto Others (assuming they would have given me credit for that).

For FJ, I came up with block head (blockhead). As in, "I am a block head!" I was not surprised to find out I was wrong.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

First off, congratulations to @teebax!  A little quicker on the buzzer, and you would've had that game (especially being the only one to get FJ).  It was fun watching you play, and we enjoyed your interview.  That puts you in very select company in our house, as we routinely FF through the interviews.

Today's FJ is in my avatar.  Would've been embarrassing not to get it.  I did, though not without first briefly considering Block Head.

• Love 5

Too much wine. 

I only got cacao, but at least I got something.

I never heard of chert.

And I had nothing for FJ. I got a big chuckle out of Francois's answer of What is warm puppy. 😄

• Love 4

Sorry your game didn't go your way @teebax, but I enjoyed watching you and am glad you had a good experience. And congrats on being the only one to get FJ correct and for getting a GFY!!! 🍹What did y'all chat with Alex about after the game? 

Monday's FJ was an instaget, but for Tuesday I guessed good grief.

18 hours ago, 24k Kate said:

@teebax, unlurking to say you are awesome. Cool teacher, indeed! And, for Lloyd Bentsen's running mate, I said Ross Perot😫

So did I. Actually, I said 'that guy from Dallas', but that's who I meant 😜

16 hours ago, teebax said:

By the way, the ear tug was for you guys. 

I knew it!!!

7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

But it was prophetic that another poster (jokingly) predicted it would happen. The preemption, not the shooting. 

That was me. Sorry about that 😔 I promise I try to use my jinxing powers only for good.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

"Tubular bells (also known as chimes) are musical instruments in the percussion family. . .

All righty-right. TEEBAX has to be invited back! (If she wants to do J! again.) It's only fair.

I was a major Peanuts fan, but couldn't get "good grief" out of my head.

In any case, I wouldn't have come up with security blanket. Maybe "stormy night" from "It was a dark and stormy night."

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

My mind got stuck on the fact that Snoopy is a WWI flying ace, and I couldn't get off that.  I tried briefly to think of Lucy's psychiatric booth and if she ever did anything, and I thought of Snoopy, and then football, and then Snoopy--I absolutely love Snoopy, and still kept circling around to the idea that they had the wrong war because Snoopy wasn't in WWII!

As soon as it was revealed, it made sense, but man that was 30 seconds of frantic mind spinning for me.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
35 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

My mind got stuck on the fact that Snoopy is a WWI flying ace, and I couldn't get off that.  I tried briefly to think of Lucy's psychiatric booth and if she ever did anything, and I thought of Snoopy, and then football, and then Snoopy--I absolutely love Snoopy, and still kept circling around to the idea that they had the wrong war because Snoopy wasn't in WWII!

Did you know that on every anniversary of D-Day, he was?  Charles Schulz, being a WWII vet himself, regularly commemorated D-Day with a Snoopy cartoon.  Here is a brief article about it.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, saber5055 said:

From Wikipedia:

"Tubular bells (also known as chimes) are musical instruments in the percussion family. Their sound resembles that of church bells, carillon, or a bell tower; the original tubular bells were made to duplicate the sound of church bells within an ensemble."

Huh, so why didn't they give the contestant the credit for chimes.

7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

All righty-right. TEEBAX has to be invited back! (If she wants to do J! again.) It's only fair.

I was a major Peanuts fan, but couldn't get "good grief" out of my head.

In any case, I wouldn't have come up with security blanket. Maybe "stormy night" from "It was a dark and stormy night."

I wouldn't have come up with that unless the question was about Bulwer Lytton (the Bulwer Lytton Fiction contest was started by a professor of mine, so that's where my mind always goes, rather than Snoopy)

• Love 2

All I could think of for FJ was hush hush.  I know Linus has a security blanket but that didn't come to me.  Security blanket as used in WWII makes me think of the Cone of Silence.

TS's I got were cacao and The Golden Rule - I thought that was a really hard clue and don't know how I managed to pull it out:)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I thought that had happened when I went to TheJeopardyFan site this morning and Tara Baxter is listed as one of today's contestants.

Alas, Andy just had the wrong players listed, it was not to be. But for a few minutes, I had hope.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I heard the woman say "La Bow-Him",

Which I just read very quickly as La Blow Him 🙂

I was a major Peanuts fan in my youth--I had Charlie Brown bedsheets, a windup toy doghouse with Snoopy on top (which I see on Ebay for $75!), and I bought the paperback compilations of the comics--but "security blanket" just did not happen at all for me. 

I think that the reference to "analects" in the Golden Rule clue threw them off; although I got it I understand why the contestants didn't. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2