Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, GussieK said:

I surely did not not know the Montgolfier brothers (anyone? Bueller?  Bueller?)

I did.  I'm not sure how, but Montgolfier Brothers=hot air balloons is one of those little facts that I picked up somewhere along the way.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I did.  I'm not sure how, but Montgolfier Brothers=hot air balloons is one of those little facts that I picked up somewhere along the way.

I picked it up by watching Jeopardy!  They've been mentioned several times in the past.

I thought Tollund Man was a statue of Christopher Plummer.

I knew George Reeves was in GWTW, too, but I've never seen the movie and have no intention of ever doing so.

Another piece of Everly Trivia: In the early 70s, while on tour, Warren Zevon was their pianist and music director.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I've read some things about hot air balloons (why, I'm not sure) so I knew the Montgolfiers, but the information was more readily available to me because in Italian the word for hot air balloon is mongolfiera

• Useful 6
48 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I picked it up by watching Jeopardy!  They've been mentioned several times in the past.

Ah. I actually haven’t watched for several years. The advent of James has brought me back.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Love Boat and Tollund Man TS were a bit surprising, too.

I didn't get Tollund Man - I would never have come up with it. I was just "oh, a bog man, boy isn't that amazing?"

6 hours ago, GussieK said:

I knew about the Tarleton twins, but I’m the one dunce of the night who didn’t know Robert Frost. I guessed Walt Whitman. (Hey, grassy, Leaves of Grass . . .).  They may have made us read The Glass Menagerie in high school but not much poetry.  In general the board seemed easier than the regular matches.

I had no idea in FJ, but the poem read American, so I went with the other one - Frost. 😉 He's our go-to American poet. (and after we did that I was "oh, right, the path less taken...duh.")

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

rs and Love Boat. I even remember that the Everly Bros briefly had their own show. It was a summer replacement for Johnny Cash.

I know what people mean about younger folks not getting 60s/70s pop culture references. I wonder how many of my colleagues--never mind my students--would know what I mean when I refer to a kid as an Eddie Haskell?

Ah, summer replacement shows. Those were the days...nah, I much prefer streaming. LOL.

I don't mind the younger folks not getting clues from my era (though I'm always "how could they not know that! Because, you know, my hypocrisy). I rarely get more than a few of the clues that involve current media/music references - except for television shows.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Etta Place said:

I thought FJ was super easy although I appreciated that they quoted the “tricky” part (Frost always said that poem was a bit tricky).

Did he say what's tricky about it? 

I wonder how many of my colleagues--never mind my students--would know what I mean when I refer to a kid as an Eddie Haskell?

Me. Me. I haven't heard that reference in years, but boy, does it present an immediate image of an overly polite, well-dressed kid saying, "Good afternoon, Mrs. Cleaver." Eddie Haskell was an archetype for insincere sycophants. He was also a bully.

That said, I called last night's Jeopardy! the "Before your time show."

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Did he say what's tricky about it? 

Yes, people frequently seem to take the poem to mean that there is something noble in taken the less traveled path ... but the poem doesn't say that at all. The poem says the roads are equally traveled and that in the future when telling the story the narrator will sigh and say he took the one less traveled. In other words, it's all about patting yourself on the back for being the trailblazer when you really weren't. 🙂

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I learned their names from Monty Python's Flying Circus, but couldn't pull it out of my brain.  All I could say was "those guys on Monty Python".

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Arkay said:

I understand that everything is Easy If You Know It, but I still think this FJ should have been in the Teen Tournament, not the Teachers'. I've taught it to 8th graders.

I didn't get it until the last second, too late to have written it down.  I've read the poem, but not in years, and didn't recognize the line at all.  Frost was a complete guess.

But the Love Boat as a TS?  Really?

15 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

They haven't lasted and they were only popular for a couple of years, so unless a contestant grew up in the 50's, I wasn't surprised. 

I wasn't even alive in the 50s, but I got it.  Of course, my mother loves the Everly Brothers, so . . .

I got Woolworth (used to shop at one all the time), but would they have accepted it without the initials?  I wasn't sure if they were required.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

Tollund Man TS were a bit surprising

I'll confess to not knowing that one.  I'm aware of various peat bog burials, but doubt I could name any of them specifically.

11 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Another really easy one was the George Reeve, Superman question. I avidly watched that all of those years ago. Does everyone know that he played one of the Tarleton twins in GWTW?

Yes, and yes.

8 hours ago, GussieK said:

knew about the Tarleton twins, but I’m the one dunce of the night who didn’t know Robert Frost. I guessed Walt Whitman. (Hey, grassy, Leaves of Grass . . .).

Me too.  I haven't that poem in years, and am not a Frost fan.  I did change my answer at the last second.

5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I agree it's annoying and insulting. I guess they don't want to risk teachers looking foolish when their kids will be watching. But it ends up having the opposite effect and playing into the negative stereotype that teachers aren't really very smart (if they were they'd be teaching college/researching).

And yet there were a lot of triple stumpers during this game.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, ABay said:

All I could come up with for Montgolfier was 1. French, but not the Lumieres and 2. It has a G. 

They might have given it to you.

It was nice to get so many ts's - during James run there haven't been too many. Instaget FJ.

Go Teebax!!

• Love 4

I'm at the point that I think the writers are using youth against the contestants. There isn't a person alive who was a kid in the 60's who could have missed George Reeves. I'm finding lots of things like that, common knowledge to my age cohort but not so to those younger. 

4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

That was a tough one. Usually when I don't get a clue, I have a forehead-slapping "I should have known that" moment when the answer is revealed, but that one just got a "huh?" from me. Never heard of it.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, ABay said:

All I could come up with for Montgolfier was 1. French, but not the Lumieres and 2. It has a G. 

and 3. Since it was French it was not Wilbur and Orville.

The Love Boat reruns are on one of the antenna tv stations. It's fun to see all the guest stars that are SO YOUNG. The clue/answer was easy for me without having watched the show since it was a HUGE DEAL when Fred Grandy ran for office in Iowa, it was all the news, lots and lots of talk about how "Gopher" could possibly be a Congressman, an actor that was in no way qualified for that elite position. (This five years after Reagan became president.) American politics were heading down a rabbit hole back then for sure!

Eddie Haskell ... what a hoot. He had "that kind" of face. He played the same horrible kid on an episode of Lassie, he set a fire when the Boy Scouts were out camping. But he was hilarious (in a good/bad way) on Leave It To Beaver. The actor became so typecast as Haskell, he quit acting and became a police officer. I love all the old BW tv shows.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I remembered this morning that I forgot to play yesterday. I hate when that happens. And it's happening a lot lately.

You just have more important things to think about.

I went over there just now, but I guess you can't go back to previous days, and I took off before I saw todays categories. Unless someone else saw it yesterday I'm just going to go with they gave Ottumwa a shout out.

• Love 3

I almost broke my arm last night because I kept patting myself on the back.  I knew all the TS's and Final Jeopardy.  That doesn't happen very often and despite what I may think now, I'm pretty sure I really couldn't beat James. 

If you look at Jeopardy's website there is an excellent picture of Teebax there.  I'll also be pulling for you tonight. 

• Love 3
(edited)
27 minutes ago, opus said:

You just have more important things to think about. 

I went over there just now, but I guess you can't go back to previous days, and I took off before I saw todays categories. Unless someone else saw it yesterday I'm just going to go with they gave Ottumwa a shout out. 

Thank you for your vote of confidence.

I'm irritated about missing the extra Iowa clue. Since I ran the category on the show, I was hoping to get another point from J6. Plus, I've been to Ottumwa many times (And Bloomington, Illinois, Henry Blake's hometown.) so was hoping for a Radar/Tom Arnold connection at least. *sigh*

ETA: I've never seen a sign honoring Ottumwa as hometown of Radar or Tom, unless I've missed it or it's on some other road into town. I've always thought that strange. Ronald Reagan gets signs at multiple towns around here, like he's more important than Radar O'Reilly. I think not!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

I went into the office break room to sneak a peek at @teebax She looks great!! Not game spoilers since I only saw the intro but...

Spoiler

She is standing at James' hallowed podium, and I'm pretty sure we got an acknowledgment. Probably for someone(s) else - like her students! - but I'm claiming it.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I'm at the point that I think the writers are using youth against the contestants. There isn't a person alive who was a kid in the 60's who could have missed George Reeves. I'm finding lots of things like that, common knowledge to my age cohort but not so to those younger. 

But, I get a lot of the younger stuff wrong.  Rihanna, Justin Bieber.  So, I think it goes both ways.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Etta Place said:

Yes, people frequently seem to take the poem to mean that there is something noble in taken the less traveled path ... but the poem doesn't say that at all. The poem says the roads are equally traveled and that in the future when telling the story the narrator will sigh and say he took the one less traveled. In other words, it's all about patting yourself on the back for being the trailblazer when you really weren't. 🙂

Thank you so much. I'll have to reread the poem.

• Love 1

Take comfort, Saber. Isn't the TT one of those that gets rerun in August? So, if you aren't willing to find an online source (youtube, for example) for today's episode, you can see it in 3 short months.

• Love 1

Those guys were so bleepin' fast on the buzzer. I can't imagine how frustrating that must be. Congrats on getting FJ, @teebax. Good job! How did they determine who got which podium?

• Love 10

@teebax! It was great to finally see your episode! Take pride in being the only one to get FJ...and for being a calm contestant with no quirks and non-annoying buzzer habits!

I thought today’s questions were considerably more difficult than yesterday's. Though Carl Sagan (with a photo) for a DD at $1000...I don’t know. 

• Love 16

Hey Teebax- you did us proud!  Loved the ear tug ala Carol Burnett (probably showing my age again).  Mother Grundoon and I were rooting hard for you but the guys were so quick.

Congratulations on getting FJ - The Miracle Worker is one of my favorite plays/movies but don't know if I could have pulled Sullivan out in time - it might have come out Annie Bancroft.

• LOL 5
  • Love 10

Good for you for being the only one to get FJ right, @teebax!  I got it too, though I doubted myself until your response was revealed.

Those guys were way too fast on the buzzer.  I did like Trevor's story about his stolen car.  But since Harry Potter, I can only think of Neville's toad when I hear the name Trevor.

The Carol Burnett ear tug beats finger guns any day.  🙂

• Love 13

Heh I guessed Annie Sullivan as soon as I saw the category.

Awesome job - Teebax! That was my favorite episode in weeks. I admit - I also blanked on Dukakis’s name. 

• Love 10

Good on you, TEEBAX. I did not get FJ. You accomplished something I can only aspire to. Nice little shoutout to your students, too. They are extremely fortunate to have you as a teacher.

• Love 12

I mean....smarty in the middle couldn't get the FJ?  I'm sure he thought he was going to win all along...

By the way , I am still mad a Alex for not asking the guy in the middle about the awesomeness of teaching students with disabilities, but about teaching overseas....

• Love 4

It was great to watch you tonight, teebax.  You did us Primetimers proud, and we were with you all the way.  You've done what so many of the rest of us only aspire to accomplish. 

• Love 10

@teebax first of all, congratulations for getting on the show, something special that most of us will never achieve.  Second, you had such a nice personality and demeanor and what a pretty voice!  I didn't feel like I knew you up there lol but on the other hand I kind of did, which made the show more fun than usual.  Thanks for taking us on this ride with you! 

• Love 21

I did not have a good night. I only got one of the anagrams.  I don't know if I was just unable to focus or what. I also only got one of the sitcoms.  At least I got FJ, but I got it even before the clue was revealed, because they're just aren't that many famous teachers.  Yes, there are more than just the one, but I always take a guess before the commercial breaks, and am hardly ever right with just the category, and that was the first famous teacher I thought of.

• Love 5

@teebax, enjoyed seeing you on tonight’s episode and congrats on getting FJ! That half hour goes by so fast, doesn’t it. Sorry you didn’t wind up in first place but I know standing up there is a hell of a lot harder than shouting answers at the TV from the comfort of one’s easy chair. You’ll always be able to say, hey I was on Jeopardy.  Way to go, Teebax! 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I did not have a good night. I only got one of the anagrams.  I don't know if I was just unable to focus or what. I also only got one of the sitcoms.  At least I got FJ, but I got it even before the clue was revealed, because they're just aren't that many famous teachers.  Yes, there are more than just the one, but I always take a guess before the commercial breaks, and am hardly ever right with just the category, and that was the first famous teacher I thought of.

Just based on the FJ category, I was guessing the answer could be Socrates, Plato, or Mr. Kotter. Ha ha.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Oh bother, that did not go the way I was hoping.

You still did a great job, teebax, and it was so nice to see your smiling face on my tv. I look forward to hearing more behind the scenes details now that your show has aired.

Tonight I got snowpack and bassoon (sorry, teebax). 

I also got FJ.

Happy National Teacher Appreciation Day!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I thought today’s questions were considerably more difficult than yesterday's. Though Carl Sagan (with a photo) for a DD at $1000...I don’t know. 

Yeah, that bugged me, too, but I also felt the overall set of clues weren't insultingly different than normal like yesterday's.

I’d have been rooting for Tara even without “knowing” her, as a black woman facing two white men.  (If demographics didn’t lead me toward a contestant, I’d have gone by subject taught and rooted for the Civics guy.)  Sorry you didn’t have a better game, @teebax (AKA T. Bax – so simple now that I know), but I hope you enjoyed the experience.  And I liked your interview, about your life experiences prior to teaching adding to what you can provide your students and affecting the way they perceive you.  Congratulations all around.

My biggest surprise was that only one contestant got what I figured would be a triple instaget for FJ.  Snowpack was the TS that surprised me most (mud pack surprised me, too, with pack spotted by the category), but I think I should only be surprised that the CA guy didn’t know the right term (given how, in perpetual drought, we hear every year about whether or not the snow pack was adequate). 

The teardrop TS in the anagram category surprised me because Trevor guessing “tear” gave extra time to figure it out.   But it was pretty early in the game, and him being wrong may have led them to try to think of totally different words, rather than the correct variation of tears.  I was also a bit surprised three of the classic literature clues were TS, but I shouldn’t be, I guess, because that seems to happen a lot.   

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The Carol Burnett ear tug beats finger guns any day.  🙂

I suppose. *kicks can* I was hoping for finger-guns.

Still, teebax, you were great to watch. AND you got a "Good for you"! 

Man, I couldn't remember who Lloyd Bentsen ran with, but I knew he had debated Dan Quayle. "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." (I had to look up the quote.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 6