Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Just now, Katy M said:

I said Jane Addams, but I don't know if I would have rung in.  The clue said "co-founder of Hell House" and I didn't know who the other co-founder is and I didn't know that Jane Addams one a Nobel Peace Prize.  Since it was a high dollar amount clue, IIRC, I said it in a questioning tone, thinking it was probably the other founder.

I did the same thing. But usually with Jeopardy the obvious choice is correct.

Jeopardy clue writers really really love Richard III.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

But at least it was part of the right story. 

Sometimes I'm happy enough just to be in the right ball park.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It only occurred to me after this discussion that Jackie Kennedy named her daughter after her sister. I never gave it a thought before.

I knew Jackie had a sister, and knew the name Lee Radziwill - although that's another one that is somewhere in the dark, dusty part of my brain - but had no idea her first name was Caroline (I've never heard her called that) so I also had no idea Jackie named her daughter after her sister.

• Love 4
(edited)
55 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Couldn't come up with Miles Standish, I said Pocahontas which I knew was wrong. But at least it was part of the right story. 

How are they connected?  Priscilla (Mullens) and John Alden, and Standish were Massachusetts.  Mullins and Alden arrived in 1630.  Pocahontas was Jamestown, Virginia colony, circa 1607.  She married John Rolfe (not Smith), and is buried in Gravesend, England.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 2

In the Miles Standish cartoon, Alden (Elmer Fudd) defends Priscilla by fighting off Indians from "the North, the South, the West, and the East." The East?? "Yes, those were the Cleveland Indians." Maybe the ones from the South were Pocahontas' people.

I knew Jane Addams because I've seen a play about her.

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Jane Addams, but I don't know if I would have rung in.  The clue said "co-founder of Hull House" and I didn't know who the other co-founder is and I didn't know that Jane Addams one a Nobel Peace Prize.  Since it was a high dollar amount clue, IIRC, I said it in a questioning tone, thinking it was probably the other founder. 

Ellen Gates Starr, but they never ask about her.  It's always Addams (and even her the contestants frequently don't know).

• Useful 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

I would find it offensive for the teachers except for the fact that they're missing more clues than I am.  Some clues that I thought were ridiculously easy.

I agree.  Clues are far too easy if I am guessing more correct answers than the contestants.  I think after the all-star tournament and all the James shenanigans this has just been a bit of a let down.  Like I said in a previous post I guess it will just take a while to get used to $200 clues and tiny dd wagers again.

ETA I fully acknowledge I would probably forget my own name if I was actually on the show and had to perform under pressure.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 2

I feel like the “too easy” comments come up every tournament (other than champions). But the first week of the tournament requires all clues to be unveiled, so it makes sense they’d be “easier.”  I do think there are some regional and/or generational things that affect the perceived difficulty though. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, teebax said:

It's a very different game in person. I can't emphasize this enough. My get rate is ridiculously high at home. In person, the game moves a lot faster, and it's harder to recall things you know with the lights and added pressure. These teachers are not dumber than the average contestant; I certainly am not. However, if you haven't played live it's very easy to sit at home and think contestants just don't know things. It's more complicated than that.

FTR, I knew Miles Standish, and I knew most of the TS's. None of that knowledge helped me when I played in person. Again, it's different in a way I can't really explain.

I can guess whatever pops in my head at home, but I’m sure being in the studio would lead to double and triple guessing myself and not ringing in if I weren’t at least 90% sure! I also process the questions faster by reading than hearing, and my understanding of the studio leads me to believe that would be a hindrance for me  

Plus, with wildcard slots up for grabs, the less-than-positive guesses are more risky than in regular gameplay. 

I think all of the teachers are awesome - they’ve all passed a test I haven’t passed, and they put up with students and are helping build the future! 

• Love 9

Bob Harris discusses this in depth in "Prisoner in Trebekistan." Basically our primal responses take over when we're in stressful situations and depress higher level mental functions like quick recall. It has nothing to do with what you know or how smart you are. It's literally biology.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

In the Miles Standish cartoon, Alden (Elmer Fudd) defends Priscilla by fighting off Indians from "the North, the South, the West, and the East." The East?? "Yes, those were the Cleveland Indians." Maybe the ones from the South were Pocahontas' people.

I knew Jane Addams because I've seen a play about her.

I was pretty shocked that none of these teachers got Myles Standish -- does no one read or teach Longfellow anymore?  I always thought Myles, Priscilla, and "Speak for Yourself, John!" Alden were a pretty standard Thanksgiving story, and like my brother Gimmick Genius, I knew there was a cartoon about it.

But I would have sworn it was a "Bullwinkle's Corner" episode!  Can't you just see Boris as Myles?

Elmer Fudd, huh?  Gonna go check YouTube now....

I noticed a lot of comments about how they are teachers, shouldn't they know--parts of speech and miles Standish, this game specifically.  But none of them were English teachers, so I don't know why they should know those thing more than any other J! contestants.

• Love 2

For FJ, I stared dumbfounded at the TV for about 5 seconds, then blurted out "Sandra Day O'Connor".  I didn't remember if she was from Arizona, but being it was a law school, the "American Women" category, and something about history-making led me there.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Moose135 said:

For FJ, I stared dumbfounded at the TV for about 5 seconds, then blurted out "Sandra Day O'Connor".

I literally guessed this before Alex even read the clue.  Like I said above it's obviously easier to be an armchair quarterback/contestant, but I still think some of these clues are just ridiculously easy.  Trust and believe I am not Jeopardy material.  I should not be correctly answering this many clues.

• Love 1

In my armchair version of playing Jeopardy (and yes @teebax I bet it is a whole lot different playing in person with all the pressures) I did ok. At my age I knew all the SNL alumni (most were not that early on the series i.e. Lorraine Newman would have stumped a lot of people for instance). I got the TSes of Bill Hager, the DD of Bonnie and Clyde, and TS of Baghdad. I wrongly guessed RBG for FJ. Ah well. 

• Love 1

I did not get FJ today:(  Oh well.  I've had a good run.  Apparently Canadiana is not my category.  Only got Saskatchewan right.  I got Chicago.  Pretty lackluster day for me.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got the TSes of Bill Hager,

No you didn't. It's Bill Hader, not one of the Hager Brothers (LOL). I have a gigantic crush on him and love Barry. Barry/Bill Hader was a clue/answer not that long ago. I would have caught that if the show would hire me as Clue Police.

I would rock an entire board of SNL characters and cast. If only. I'd be the James of that game.

1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

I always thought Myles, Priscilla, and "Speak for Yourself, John!" Alden were a pretty standard Thanksgiving story, and like my brother Gimmick Genius, I knew there was a cartoon about it.

I've never heard it as a Thanksgiving story (romance and eating maize and turkey? No way!) but I do remember it as a Saturday morning cartoon. Post that YouTube link when you find it. Looney Tunes were great teachers of opera and the classics, it's where I got much of my education. I vote that it was a Bugs/Elmer Fudd cartoon. (Good to see you, @The Wild Sow. It's been a while.)

2 hours ago, teebax said:

These teachers are not dumber than the average contestant; I certainly am not. However, if you haven't played live it's very easy to sit at home and think contestants just don't know things. It's more complicated than that.

Thank you @teebax. Until I qualify to get on this show as you and others here have -- which will be never -- I'm not ranking on anyone for being dumb or clues being dumber, and I'll never be "shocked" by players not knowing what I know. They all know plenty that I do not.

Thinking about the complaint that "Ellen" as an answer needs a last name, besides her talk show "Ellen" there's "Ellen's Game of Games." No last name. Me, I have no problem with her being "just Ellen." Using the same reasoning, would a last name be required if the answer were "Oprah"? Asking for a friend.

FJ was the easiest FJ ever, and I answered it so quickly and was so proud of myself for getting it immediately: Gabby Giffords.

Meanwhile, The Thornbirds was a clue/answer not that long ago. Again, this show needs to hire me.

Does anyone remember why lightning bug wasn't accepted but firefly was? Thanks.

How irritating that "cold" was given a big, fat NO instead of a BMS so "blooded" could have/might have been added by the contestant for the answer of "cold blooded."

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

FJ was the easiest FJ ever, and I answered it so quickly and was so proud of myself for getting it immediately: Gabby Giffords.

That's who I was thinking of.  Thanks, always good to have company on a wrong answer.

3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Does anyone remember why lightning bug wasn't accepted but firefly was? Thanks.

It was a poem, so it had to be the exact wording.

4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

How irritating that "cold" was given a big, fat NO instead of a BMS so "blooded" could have/might have been added by the contestant for the answer of "cold blooded."

But, it asked specifically for the definition of the word and the answer was coldblooded.  I don't really see it as a BMS situation.  Plus, if a BMS would have given it to him, I think the long pause also would have, but maybe not.  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Thanks, always good to have company on a wrong answer. 

I always have extra chairs available at my Wrong Answer table, plus I serve treats.

3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

It was a poem, so it had to be the exact wording.

Thanks. I knew it was something like that but my brain cells failed to capture it.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Get out of my brain! I thought it too, but then I re-read the clue and realized 2006 was too early. So then I was stumped.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Abstract said:

Get out of my brain! I thought it too, but then I re-read the clue and realized 2006 was too early. So then I was stumped.

LOL! I remember exactly where I was when I heard on my car radio she had been shot. I just don't remember what year that was. I barely remember what year THIS is.

Just now, saber5055 said:

LOL! I remember exactly where I was when I heard on my car radio she had been shot. I just don't remember what year that was. I barely remember what year THIS is.

It's 1999.  Let's party.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I only know it was during the Obama administration, which rules out 2006. 

15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I always have extra chairs available at my Wrong Answer table, plus I serve treats.

What kind of treats? Obviously I’m going to be seated at your table lol.. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Save me a seat at the party table -- my first thought for FJ was also Gabby Giffords!  I had no idea Sandra Day O'Connor lived in Arizona. 

I got cold-blooded, but I don't remember any of the others.  I didn't get most of the SNL alums because they were too recent -- give me original recipe SNL, and I would have run the category!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I did not get FJ. I figured they were looking for a Supreme Court Justice, but I only thought of the current ones.

It made me sad that no one knew Bill Hader, because I love Bill Hader. Bill Hader is awesome. He's also supposed to be on Seth Meyer's show tonight.

• Love 4
(edited)

Julia live-tweeted the show and confessed to a crush on Seth Meyers. I thought I noticed a touch of fangirliness when she answered the clue.

SNL is not my thing, I only got the totally obvious ones like Will Ferrell and Tina Fey. Had to google Bill Hader.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Katy M said:

It's 1999.  Let's party.

LOL.... please let me crash the party! I promise to make you laugh. Wait until you see my Alex impersonation. Complete with no moustache.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Abstract said:

I only know it was during the Obama administration, which rules out 2006. 

Not if you're using my brain cells!

2 minutes ago, lb60 said:

He's also supposed to be on Seth Meyer's show tonight.

I also love me some Seth Meyers. Double late-night treat tonight! I've watched SNL since the beginning of time. I've even ordered Cheezborger Cheeps and Pepsi in Chicago.

• Love 4

I knew Sandra Day O'Connor was from Arizona, so I had FJ part-way through the clue reading.  Unlike yesterday, where literally the only knowledge I had of Myles Standish was that his name appeared in an R.E.M. lyric "Myles Standish proud, congratulate me" from Begin the Begin.

Alex gets to use the full-French pronunciation of Francois for two days of the final, which is nice for him.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Not if you're using my brain cells!

I also love me some Seth Meyers. Double late-night treat tonight! I've watched SNL since the beginning of time. I've even ordered Cheezborger Cheeps and Pepsi in Chicago.

Sorry, tonight it is coke (the drink lol). Remember how they didn’t want to put off any sponsorship and every other week it was Pepsi or Coke? Oops. I’m too old. 

Chips 

Oh, come on – “bed surfing” has been said by precisely no one, ever, to indicate crashing at a series of friends’ houses.  (Bed hopping, sure, but to mean something quite different.)  The idiom is couch surfing.

Fireflies was a surprising TS; lightning bugs were ruled out, and fireflies rhymed, so I was expecting one of the two to guess it.  Byron surprised me a bit, too, but that was about it for TS.  The missed DD of cold-blooded did a bit, too, as did guessing Detroit as the most populous city on Lake Michigan (he must have been thinking of the state rather than the lake). 

With FJ (an instaget for me, but I'd have to go flog myself if it wasn't), I guessed that two of them would get it, so at least there I was accurate in my prediction of how contestants would do (and was even right on who the two would be).  Same with childbirth and Everything But the Girl - I figured both of those were going to be TS.

I wasn't expecting much of myself in the SNL category, since I don't watch the show, but I knew - from other things - all but Bill Hader. 

I’m so bummed Julia lost.

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I also love me some Seth Meyers. Double late-night treat tonight!

I think Stefon and Seth are still married?

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

At first, seeing Arizona, I thought Gabby Giffords, too, but then reading/hearing the full clue, I immediately thought Sandra Day O'Connor, wondering how I remembered that she lived in Arizona.

That was a DD, so Alex doesn't ask for BMS, does he?

I got Bill Hader (love Barry, too), fireflies, and FJ.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Oh, come on – “bed surfing” has been said by precisely no one, ever, to indicate crashing at a series of friends’ houses.  (Bed hopping, sure, but to mean something quite different.)  The idiom is couch surfing.

That made me even madder that Teebax was dinged for answering chimes, which was correct, and yet they give this guy credit for bed surfing? I even looked it up on urban dictionary. Bed surfing is similar to couch surfing, but the expectation is you will share a bed for sexual favors. Not at all the same thing.  Bad, show, bad!!

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Julia live-tweeted the show and confessed to a crush on Seth Meyers. I thought I noticed a touch of fangirliness when she answered the clue.

I noticed that too, and it's completely understandable.

5 minutes ago, Abstract said:

Had to google Bill Hader.

I love me some Stefon and Vincent Price. And oh yeah, some Barry.

13 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

That made me even madder that Teebax was dinged for answering chimes, which was correct, and yet they give this guy credit for bed surfing?

Agree "bed surfing" is no way correct. If you are crashing at different apartments/homes, you get to sleep on the couch, not the bed. Unless ... well, unless that other definition is going on.

This show sometimes ...

45 minutes ago, opus said:

I think Stefon and Seth are still married?

They make the cutest couple!

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

They make the cutest couple!

I know, right? And Stefon is represented every night on the show via the , umm, whatever that thing is on Seth’s desk.

Kismet that they were both (sorta) mentioned on Jeopardy today.

• Love 2
(edited)

Also Kismet that Kismet showed up in the Musicals Category. 😂

Teebax - trust and believe, I am sure the game is different from the in studio and arm chair perspectives.  Heck from my arm chair I would pass the on line test magna cum laude.  On the computer, not so much.

Edited by Grundoon59
What was I typing?
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, teebax said:

It's a very different game in person. I can't emphasize this enough. My get rate is ridiculously high at home. In person, the game moves a lot faster, and it's harder to recall things you know with the lights and added pressure. 

11 hours ago, Pallida said:

I can guess whatever pops in my head at home, but I’m sure being in the studio would lead to double and triple guessing myself and not ringing in if I weren’t at least 90% sure! 

Me too.

All of the above is why I’ll never be a contestant. I am a very good home contestant (undefeated at my house!) and people often tell me I should go on the show. But I am quite positive that, in the studio, I would freeze like a deer in headlights and possibly mumble out an answer or two, if I managed to click in at the right time. 

This is why I greatly admire people like Teebax who are able to go on there and do well, despite the pressure. And why I feel so bad for people who do badly, especially if they end up in the hole and can’t even play FJ— I bet those people are undefeated home players, too!

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

as did guessing Detroit as the most populous city on Lake Michigan (he must have been thinking of the state rather than the lake). 

I said "Detroit, no Chicago", because yes Lake Michigan made me think of state Michigan.

2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Me too.

All of the above is why I’ll never be a contestant. I am a very good home contestant (undefeated at my house!) and people often tell me I should go on the show. But I am quite positive that, in the studio, I would freeze like a deer in headlights and possibly mumble out an answer or two, if I managed to click in at the right time. 

This is why I greatly admire people like Teebax who are able to go on there and do well, despite the pressure. And why I feel so bad for people who do badly, especially if they end up in the hole and can’t even play FJ— I bet those people are undefeated home players, too!

My problem in the studio would be...they don't make enough Imodium to keep me out of the ladies' room.  Nerves hit me in the intestines.

Someone above (I think on the previous page) mentioned that in SNL folks, Laraine Newman would've stumped most of the contestants.  Truly, since she had her nose job, I think even we oldsters would be stumped by a photo clue of her.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

In my armchair version of playing Jeopardy (and yes @teebax I bet it is a whole lot different playing in person with all the pressures) I did ok. At my age I knew all the SNL alumni (most were not that early on the series i.e. Lorraine Newman would have stumped a lot of people for instance). I got the TSes of Bill Hager, the DD of Bonnie and Clyde, and TS of Baghdad. I wrongly guessed RBG for FJ. Ah well. 

I guessed RBG too - because I have no clue where anyone is from, much less Sandra Day O'Conner.

I ran the SNL category, and almost missed on Bill Hader, but I got there in time. Almost missing it was ridiculous (even on my sofa, my brain freezes), especially since not only do we watch Barry, but during dinner a mere hour earlier we watched the recording his appearance on Colbert. (we're not late night people, but we like the late night shows)

11 hours ago, opus said:

I also went with Gabby Giffords, except I called her Kirsten Gillibrand.

To be fair, when I think of Gabby, it's Kirsten's face I see. LOL

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I complained about that one too. The mister shrugged. Darn it, I want complete agreement on our sofa!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3