Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

What's wrong with that?  Marginalia is a thing.

Once upon a long time ago, editors marked up paper manuscripts by writing in the margins (I still have some of mine). That changed with computers and Track Changes. I was objecting to marking up a book. I realize she or someone bought the book (and passed it around), so it's her property, but it still offends me.

Changing the subject, is everybody else having to sign in every night? Does Primetimer honestly think someone is going to pretend to be me in order to read the Jeopardy! forum?

• Love 4

I've been noticing that James actually only really bets big in the first round.  Last night he bet was *seemed* big--$10,000 something (I can't retain all the odd dollar amounts), but he had enough to have be $20,000 and even if he got it wrong, still have several thousand more than either challenger.  I have long had a theory that in SJ one should almost always go all in on the DD, since you have time to recoup and there's a higher chance usually of knowing it than the DD in DJ (or at least it's supposed to be).  James is kind of proving that theory right, since usually he ties down the game with that one question.  So I feel vindicated on a private theory, and will continue to be disgusted with people who bet low on the first DD.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Once upon a long time ago, editors marked up paper manuscripts by writing in the margins (I still have some of mine). That changed with computers and Track Changes. I was objecting to marking up a book. I realize she or someone bought the book (and passed it around), so it's her property, but it still offends me.

Changing the subject, is everybody else having to sign in every night? Does Primetimer honestly think someone is going to pretend to be me in order to read the Jeopardy! forum?

I don't sign in every night. In fact, I can't remember the last time I did. That said, the Jeopardy forum is quite an exclusive club. LOL!!!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Is there a subject where James is weak?  If there is, I haven't seen it, yet.

Reminds me of one of the times Ken Jennings was on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me."  They good-naturedly wrote questions in categories they thought he might be weaker at (e.g. alcoholic beverages since he is LDS) but he got them anyway.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Driad said:

Reminds me of one of the times Ken Jennings was on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me."  They good-naturedly wrote questions in categories they thought he might be weaker at (e.g. alcoholic beverages since he is LDS) but he got them anyway.

Ken said he specifically studied alcoholic beverages (Potent Potables, remember!) so he would know them even if he never would experience them.

9 hours ago, mertensia said:

They had an animal category he didn't do very well at.

Most players leave animal categories for last. I notice because anything animal would be my first choice.

9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

is everybody else having to sign in every night?

I'm permanently signed in on my regular browser. I believe there is a box to check: "Keep me signed in." Look for that. Or, you can give us your password and we'll sign in and post for you.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
On ‎04‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:16 AM, Mystery Author said:

So <g>, I rarely detest a Jeptestant. However, how many are surprised that I bristled at Rebecca's "funny" (*ahem*) story about how she and her pals WRITE IN BOOK MARGINS? Even worse, they make fun of the book. Haha. NOT!

I appreciate that a published author would see it differently, but you have to admit there are some truly bad writers out there who've gotten very unearned success (EL James, anyone?).  Those authors deserve a book club's ridicule.

On the subject of James, while I appreciate his game play, knowledge base, and willingness to bet big, I am getting a little tired of all the runaway games.  I'd like to see someone really give him some competition.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5
On 4/11/2019 at 9:43 AM, Mystery Author said:

I've lived in 8 states. NOLA drove me bonkers, pun intended, but Houston was worse ("Go north on the southeast freeway..." Huh?)

Colorado was the best because the mountains are always to the west.

And for the record, I suck at geography. 'Tis lucky I have Mr. Author sitting next to me while we watch J! because he doesn't.

You would love Tucson. We have four distinctive mountain ranges to the north, south, east and west of the city. You always know what direction you're driving depending on which mountains are in front of you. The only time I've ever gotten lost here is when driving at night.

To keep it on topic, I am only an occasional watcher of Jeopardy, and I'm surprised at how easy the FJ clues have been. If I know the category at all, I usually get them right. Has the show dumbed them down?

Edited by SpiritSong
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

You always know what direction you're driving depending on which mountains are in front of you.

LOL. Unless the mountains have signs on them to distinguish one range from the other, they all look the same, I am assuming. I've only driven to/through Tucson once. One thing about Arizona, there aren't as many roads/highways as in the Midwest so IMO directions are easier there. At least when one gets out of town.

I live where the Mississippi flows east to west so I grew up with that river always to the north. I once got in a huge argument with a person from Burlington, Iowa, who worked for a river barge company, when he came to my town. He insisted the river was to the west when I said it was to the north, saying that it could never be "to the north" as it only flows "north to south," according to him. He never would admit I was correct. (Even though he could have looked at a map.)

I did know, however, that it was to the east or west when I drove north or south of my city. I wasn't a total stupe!

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I appreciate that a published author would see it differently, but you have to admit there are some truly bad writers out there who've gotten very unearned success (EL James, anyone?).  Those authors deserve a book club's ridicule.

It's sort of a book club's version of MST3K.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

So if James had come along prior to the All Star tournament, you have to figure him as a captain. So who would have been demoted? I'm guessing Ken and Brad stay, so your choices are Colby, Buzzy, Julia, or Austin.

Edited by opus
2 minutes ago, opus said:

So if James had come along prior to the All Star tournament, you have to figure him as a captain. So who would have been demoted? I'm guessing Ken and Brad stay, so your choices are Colby, Buzzy, Julia, or Austin.

Are we picking based on personal preference or actual show stats? My guess is everyone here would let Julia stay while the other three will all get votes to go. My "get out of here" goes to Austin.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Are we picking based on personal preference or actual show stats? My guess is everyone here would let Julia stay while the other three will all get votes to go. My "get out of here" goes to Austin.

Hmmm. I guess I was thinking which direction the Jeopardy producers would go? (I also suppose one of the non captains would have to be bumped from the tournament entirely)

Edited by opus
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don’t know if starting at the bottom and getting to the lower-value goes later was skewing my perspective (I missed a week of episodes, so it’s still a little new to me), but many of the $200 and $400 clues seemed too easy.  And the Overeaters Anonymous clue shouldn’t have been a DD in DJ (the “Over” clues in general belonged in the first round).

I was as stumped by 21 Pilots and Panic! at the Disco (thank you, @Abstract, for alerting me to the exclamation point) as the contestants were, but Super Scooper going unanswered surprised me; I guessed none of them live someplace with fire season, but I just looked it up (I don't pay attention to the intros) and Kevin lives here in Los Angeles, and he's the one who answered it wrong.  

Over a million dollars in not even three weeks worth of games -- wow!

I live where there's a fire season (last year was a nightmare, and I am already anxious about this season) but I don't think I have ever heard them called that. I think we just call them tankers.

16 hours ago, Brookside said:
11 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Staying logged in is generally a browser setting you control. Though if you have security software running, it might be controlled there.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

On the subject of James, while I appreciate his game play, knowledge base, and willingness to bet big, I am getting a little tired of all the runaway games.  I'd like to see someone really give him some competition.

I can see it might be fun, but I don't have enough time to read bad books or hate watch TV. Though I made an exception for Zoo, because the forum was hilarious.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I live where there's a fire season (last year was a nightmare, and I am already anxious about this season) but I don't think I have ever heard them called that. I think we just call them tankers.

I don't live where there is a fire season, but I see reports of every fire on national news, complete with video of TANKERS dropping water and fire retardant. Never have Lester Holt or David Muir called those planes Super Scoopers.

7 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't have enough time to read bad books or hate watch TV. Though I made an exception for Zoo, because the forum was hilarious.

Which is why I love The Bachelor franchise. So much fun on those threads.

8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Staying logged in is generally a browser setting you control. Though if you have security software running, it might be controlled there.

Most browser windows, when you log in with your UN and password, have a box to check, "Keep me logged in." Check it out (or just check it!) next login.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

My dad is a pharmacist & we joke that he is a drug dealer.

The mother of two of my patients (twins) got me a mug that says 'educated drug dealer' on it, along with a very lovely note. I love it 🙂

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Wayne gave it a good fight there, and off the top of my head I can't think of a higher second-place total during James' run.

There was one other guy, but I can't remember the game or his total. 

James has ruined me for normal Jeopardy players. I found myself getting so annoyed at Wayne for taking a second to think before he answered and then another second to think before calling the next category. I fully admit that this is my own personal hang-up and congratulate Wayne on making a good effort against the buzzsaw.

• LOL 3
  • Love 17

I tried to watch tonight but the fun of Jeopardy, for me, is gone (as long as he's there). I returned to see what the FJ ? would be and was dumbfounded. Who doesn't know it's the Bermuda Triangle? I bet when he's gone, they'll have a # of games limit (*if* he ever leaves!)

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Bermuda Triangle! Too easy, maybe they have just given up. 

Would they have accepted Devil's Triangle, I wonder? Or was "Bermuda Triangle" the specific name in the source mentioned?

Does anyone else think Alex is having James fatigue also? All that talk about running out of superlatives and people rooting for him to lose?

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 4

I'm usually at work when Jeopardy is on so haven't really seen James' run except on the news. So watching today, I got the impression Alex doesn't like James? Or he's at least tired of him. His voice was high and peppy with the other two but was lower and flat with James.

How would Alex know if James has fans? Is he hosting from the future?

And you can’t even count me in that total.  It’s weird, because I am fully ok if the Golden State Warriors win the NBA championship, rendering the regular season basically null and void, but I am beyond over James and his monopolizing of the game.

It’s still fun for me to try and get the correct questions, but not fun to watch James.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 10
10 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm usually at work when Jeopardy is on so haven't really seen James' run except on the news. So watching today, I got the impression Alex doesn't like James? Or he's at least tired of him. His voice was high and peppy with the other two but was lower and flat with James.

I think Alex only has to look at the other two contestants each night, see the expressions on their faces as James races around the board while they just  stand there, and realize it's a one man game now and could be forever. This isn't good for Jeopardy.

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Does anyone else think Alex is having James fatigue also? All that talk about running out of superlatives and people rooting for him to lose?

I know Alex likes competitive games, but I also think he feels bad for the contestants that get steamrolled, so he might be curbing some of his usual big winner enthusiasm so that he’s not rubbing salt in their wounds. 

Edited by SHD
  • Love 5

Pretty funny today when Alex solicitously asked James "What will this money mean for your parents?" and James replied along the lines of "Oh, the Holzhauer clan is already doing pretty well, thanks."  Gotta admire his honesty.

Also:  

I appreciate that a published author would see it differently, but you have to admit there are some truly bad writers out there who've gotten very unearned success (EL James, anyone?). 

I'm not sure how you became the arbiter of who has earned their success or not. EL James may not be god's gift to the writing world, but I own and love the FSoG trilogy. (And to me, even better was book #4, Grey.) 

Perhaps next time you could qualify your pronouncements with "in my opinion".

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I bet when he's gone, they'll have a # of games limit

I bet they will not. There was a five-game limit before, and it was removed, then Ken Jennings had his fantastic run. They did not put the limit back on after him, they will not put it back on after James. (Just MHO.) How long did we go with a run of one-and-dones? Months? And then no one could even make it to five games. No, they are not going to limit wins again. Ever.

It is unknown how many players would have gotten more than five wins before the limit was lifted.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

it's a one man game now and could be forever. This isn't good for Jeopardy.

On the contrary, this is great for Jeopardy. James is on the news, national and local, on the radio, in print newspapers and online gossip columns. The man is everywhere. This is the greatest thing to happen to Jeopardy since Jennings. Except for that rumor that he is going to bankrupt the show! Rumor? Not sure. Still, anyone who is worried about James tanking Jeopardy, support that GoFundMe page.

3 hours ago, shlbycindyk said:

My dream is to someday be on Jeopardy for so long, and win so much money, that people say they're sick of looking at me. 

If that dream came true for me, I too, would be laughing all the way to the bank while people hate would roll right off my back. Here's hoping dreams will come true.

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Who doesn't know it's the Bermuda Triangle?

Pretty much everyone here knew since Bermuda was a FJ answer two months ago, and we had a discussion about the location of "the Triangle" here after that episode.

3 hours ago, Abstract said:

James has ruined me for normal Jeopardy players. I found myself getting so annoyed at Wayne for taking a second to think before he answered and then another second to think before calling the next category.

I read that James is calling clues and answering so quickly that the show editors have been adding seconds of "dead air" to fill out the alloted show time. Which is why sometimes it seems people are stalling or taking too long. It's an illusion! I'd rather have that than more commercials.

4 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Bermuda Triangle! Too easy, maybe they have just given up. 

It's so the "common folk" at home can feel like smartie pants. Hey, it's working, isn't it?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, adhoc said:

Perhaps next time you could qualify your pronouncements with "in my opinion".

LOL! I recently watched a rerun of The Good Wife where the lawyers, when talking to the judge, had to preface everything they said with, "In my opinion." If they did not, the judge would say, "In your opinion?" after each of their statements.

22 minutes ago, SHD said:

I know Alex likes competitive games, but I also think he feels bad for the contestants that get steamrolled, so he might be curbing some of his usual big winner enthusiasm so that he’s not rubbing salt in their wounds.  

I've seen him rub salt in the wounds of first-time contestants he appears to not like at all. He can be downright snarky and rude to some.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I've seen him rub salt in the wounds of first-time contestants he appears to not like at all. He can be downright snarky and rude to some.

This is true...I have seen him say some things that seemed a little heartless. But how would he even get to dislike any of James’ opponents? They never have a chance to do or say anything annoying - ha ha. And several of them have looked so heartbroken at not really getting a chance to play, that I think he feels more sorry for them than he would for players in a more normal game.

25 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It's so the "common folk" at home can feel like smartie pants. Hey, it's working, isn't it?

Nope! I’m a big dummy this week who has gotten zero of this week’s FJs. Go, me!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

This has to end and some point, right?

People said the same thing about Ken Jennings during his run.

The difference is it is going to take someone who uses the same strategy as James in addition to being good with the buzzer and knowledgeable.  It might take a while.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Would they have accepted Devil's Triangle, I wonder?

Ugh (*Senate confirmation hearing flashbacks*)

I was quite happy to get the kernal TS. The bottom clue in that smorgas-word category was the rare one where James would have been better off with a lower-value clue first. (ETA: Forget-me-Knots Landing)

Edited by dcalley
  • LOL 2
56 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

This has to end at some point, right?

42 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

People said the same thing about Ken Jennings during his run.

The difference is it is going to take someone who uses the same strategy as James in addition to being good with the buzzer and knowledgeable.  It might take a while.

Well, yes, but KJ's run did eventually end, even though it took six months for it to happen, and there are those who think he lost that 75th (or was it 76th?) game on purpose,

• Love 1

I don't think Ken lost on purpose.  I do think he was getting tired and maybe got sloppy.  I honestly can't remember his final game, only that the woman who beat him was a "one and done".

The chances for defeating James would increase dramatically if the other contestants managed to find all the Daily Doubles.   

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

The chances for defeating James would increase dramatically if the other contestants managed to find all the Daily Doubles.   

And bet more than $100.

ETA: The big news story here today is Illinois is moving to legalize sports betting. Coincidence? Who knows.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

The difference is it is going to take someone who uses the same strategy as James in addition to being good with the buzzer and knowledgeable. 

I think it will be fatigue that'll do James in.

48 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Ugh (*Senate confirmation hearing flashbacks*)

Ha! Me too.

The bottom clue in that smorgas-word category was the rare one where James would have been better off with a lower-value clue first. (ETA: Forget-me-Knots Landing)

Not really, since each clue was of a different topic.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think Alex only has to look at the other two contestants each night, see the expressions on their faces as James races around the board while they just  stand there, and realize it's a one man game now and could be forever. This isn't good for Jeopardy.

James hasn't even been on the show as long as Julia.  Ken's run lasted over seventy games and it certainly didn't hurt the show; it made him an enduring minor celebrity.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Abstract said:

James has ruined me for normal Jeopardy players. I found myself getting so annoyed at Wayne for taking a second to think before he answered and then another second to think before calling the next category. 

I don't think it was just the juxtaposition to James with him though. He seemed to be hesitating every time he had the selection and every time he answered. It bugged me too.

• Love 6

Alex's question to James during the interview section was awkward, especially since I think he specifically mentioned James' parents. I guess he was hoping for a Colby-like response about them being able to retire comfortably thanks to his Jeopardy winnings. Speaking of, I would have Colby go & Austin stay in the team challenge in order to see James go scorched earth on the self-described "smartest person in the room". And he can take Monica with him. 

FJ was an instaget, and I got a few TS but am no longer keeping track. 

Wayne was slow. Even Dr. Toothbrush, who has infinity more patience with these things than I do, noticed. I loved Silvija's sweater.

Picture of Minnie Driver is shown, Dr. Toothbrush says, "she looks like James" lol He thinks of someone new almost every day. Yesterday it was the guy who played Marshall on How I Met Your Mother. Jason (I think) something. 

I don't know that Alex is necessarily tired of James' streak, but I think he knows that sooner or later even dyed-in-the-wool J! fans will get bored & take a break, maybe never to return. However, I think he needs to keep his comments short & sweet, wish all of the contestants good luck, and get on with the game. 

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I read that James is calling clues and answering so quickly that the show editors have been adding seconds of "dead air" to fill out the alloted show time. Which is why sometimes it seems people are stalling or taking too long. It's an illusion! I'd rather have that than more commercials.

Crazy that he's that fast. 

1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I don't think Ken lost on purpose.  I do think he was getting tired and maybe got sloppy.  I honestly can't remember his final game, only that the woman who beat him was a "one and done".

I think her name was Nancy. FJ was something about a company that increased employees by whatever % from Nov or December thru April each year. Nancy answered H&R Block (as did I from home), and she had more $$ than Ken. I found it to be a very easy FJ & figured Ken had nailed it, but he answered FedEx or UPS or USPS. There were audible gasps from the audience, stage, & living rooms everywhere. Ken gave a stunned Nancy a hug, Alex called her a giant slayer, and then she lost her next game. That was what, 2004? 2005? Somehow I can remember that but I'm not sure I could tell you what I had for lunch today, even if you promised me all of James' winnings. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I must be strange but I am enjoying  the heck out of James' run! Long ago, in the 60's with Art Fleming, my mother and I wondered why people didn't take the high numbers first but almost no one ever did. I can remember one man who won $5000 one game and every one was astounded! That would be around $38,181.31 in today's dollars so it was pretty amazing back then!! I get so nervous during the game that I have to watch it over so I can relax and enjoy it.

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I would have Colby go & Austin stay in the team challenge in order to see James go scorched earth on the self-described "smartest person in the room".

I applaud you for this thinking, which made me laugh and also made me feel like a dolt for my knee-jerk answer to Opus' question while YOUR answer would make for epic tv. I would PAY to see that duel. Where do I go to put in my request? I'd cough up the big bucks to see James vs. TSPITR*.

*The Smartest Person In The Room

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Nancy answered H&R Block (as did I from home), and she had more $$ than Ken. I found it to be a very easy FJ & figured Ken had nailed it, but he answered FedEx or UPS or USPS.

All these years later, Ken gets ragged about H&R Block, FedEx and Watson on his Twitter account. Some people just can't let it go.

• Love 1

I did some calculations.  James has won 15 games.  The season finale is on July 26.  Taking off 2 weeks for the Teacher's Tournament, that means there are 57 games left in the season.  So if James was still undefeated when they finished taping last week, he will return in September with 72 wins under his belt.  

Time will tell.  I seem to remember that when Ken Jennings was finally defeated the news did leak out the morning of the day the episode aired.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I seem to remember that when Ken Jennings was finally defeated the news did leak out the morning of the day the episode aired.

Some people will definitely be spoiled because the show airs at different times all over the country and it’s not like a game or specific event that you can just avoid the news because it could happen whenever.

I'd say Nicholas Sparks is one author I think is a terrible writer, yet has made millions from his books. I don't get it. 

I thought that Wayne was nervous, which is why he hesitated. I found it somewhat endearing that he was playing like a human being, not like a robot. I would be the same I'm sure.

I think the reason Alex is not thrilled with James is that James is constantly cutting him off. Sometimes Alex likes to make a little comment after the answer is given and anytime he tries this, James cuts him off calling out the next answer. Also we know how Alex feels about contestants playing from the bottom up. I like when they screw up doing that because they have not had time to figure out exactly what the category calls for like they would have had they started with the easy first one.

• Love 7