Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Once again, I didn't get FJ!  I read "C. King" as "seeking" and couldn't figure out who that might refer to.  Sea King makes so much more sense.

I did at least get two TS -- Trex and woof.  But I've mostly checked out for all but FJ these days. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Well, my dad always said that as long as I was a good citizen and a productive member of society that was what is important.  My mom always said that everything someone does in this life has a place, and that my doctor was no more important than my dry cleaner and that I had better treat everyone and what they did with respect. 

I get that many don't like watching James, but that is why we have all these darn cable channels now where you can find something else. I am from the time when we had 3 or 4, one being PBS and the snow came on around 12:00.  So far nothing has come out that indicates he is a bad person that harms people, and I don't think he has been smug or bragging at all.  Why hide what you are good at?   Or take "pity" on people who willfully came onto a competitive game show? 

James seems to love his family and he is not ashamed of what he does.  As someone upthread said, I envy people who enjoy what they do for work...I NEVER have so I cannot imagine what it feels like.  Even though I have teeth issues, I have genuinely enjoyed watching him have natural excited smiles...he deserves it.  It is also great that he hasn't run out to "fix" his natural look.  

I doubt he will top Ken Jennings number of appearances, and I don't care if he does.  I think he is a better player.  Comparing people is something I don't get into. 

Does anyone watch America Says? 

• Love 9

I was checked out at the beginning of this episode so missed four clues before I remembered, hey, I'm keeping track of Knows and Don't Knows. I was ahead 14 to 12 after Jeopardy round, and tied after Double Jeopardy. I managed to break the tie with my FJ answer, so I ended up winning, 29 to 28. My mind wanders a bit, well maybe a lot, so my ADHD (self diagnosed) kept me from doing better, and I admit I did need "more time" to come up with the right answer so counted some I knew as IDKs. These games go too quickly! But I did do better than yesterday, although I could blame yesterday on the flu bug that sent me to bed after the show ... which airs at 4:30 p.m. here.

My first thought for FJ was, who was the head of Fantastic Four, the guy married to Sue Storm, Johnny Storm's sister, what was his name? I couldn't come up with Reed Richards so read "C. King" again and then, duh, "Aquaman." LOL at James thanking his wife for Bad Movie Night since I heard the film was not the best, even with Jason Momoa swimming around.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Once again, I didn't get FJ!  I read "C. King" as "seeking" and couldn't figure out who that might refer to.  Sea King makes so much more sense.

I did the very same thing.  I was trying to think of a superhero who seemed particularly seekful (it's a word if I say it's word) and then at the last second I yelled Sea King.  Aqua Man.  Then I yelled at the first two contestants for not getting it right.  LOL.

I got a TS, but I forgot what it was. It was not Trex. It was woof.  I just remembered.

For pet sounds, they had hiss, and I was figuring they're thinking snake, but my last cat would hiss at everybody except for me.  So, I'm going with cat for that one.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

FJ was an instaget for me as a superhero geek. FJ clue specifically said Justice League meaning DC. (Rules out Fantastic Four, which is Marvel.) A quick mental run through of DC characters brought me to Aquaman and Sea King.

• Love 5
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:33 AM, nokat said:

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but when James is just standing there while the other two are hitting the buttons like crazy, why does he almost always get to answer? They like having a person answer ALL the questions, and I think they give him an edge. 

Okay, you're a conspiracy theorist 😉

No way Jeopardy! would risk "cheating".  

James holds his buzzer below the platform edge so we don't see him buzzing.  I suspect he has incredibly fast reflexes, doesn't flail wildly because he has not just a poker face but a poker body.  I also suspect that because he has such a broad range of knowledge that he just goes for every clue and risks a couple of incorrect answers.

Edited by Brookside
"I am also suspect" is not the same as "I also suspect"
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Everyone reading here who has an occupation that contributes to society and makes a difference in the world, raise your hand:

*crickets*

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I'll be another one to say that I've spent over a quarter century teaching English/Language Arts to inner-city 8th graders. I am now at the stage where the children of my former students are becoming my new students. I still have students who contact me to say how much of a difference I've made in their lives, and it's usually because I've listened to them and cared, even more than something they remember reading. 

That said, I have no objection to anyone who earns a living doing something that is honest and legal. Yes, I imagine James has more pure fun in his career than some of us, but I don't have his mathematical acuity to do a job like his. Nor the stomach for wagering. 

As far as a no-hitter--- I've seen several and yes, if EVERY game were a no-hitter, with the same pitcher, it would become humdrum and ruin the game eventually. I am enjoying James,  but in time, I'll long for a more suspenseful outcome. 

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, ABay said:

I also thought seeking rather than sea king. 

This makes me think of James Sikking, the actor who played Lt. Howard Hunter on Hill Street Blues.

24 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

FJ was an instaget for me as a superhero geek. FJ clue specifically said Justice League meaning DC. (Rules out Fantastic Four, which is Marvel.) A quick mental run through of DC characters brought me to Aquaman and Sea King. 

LOL at me. I'm a Marvel fan and have been all, "Who the heck are these Justice League dudes" and have no interest in their movies. But I did know Aquaman, I'm not a total Marvel loser. Just a partial one.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Arkay said:

I'll be another one to say that I've spent over a quarter century teaching English/Language Arts to inner-city 8th graders. I am now at the stage where the children of my former students are becoming my new students. I still have students who contact me to say how much of a difference I've made in their lives, and it's usually because I've listened to them and cared, even more than something they remember reading. 

That said, I have no objection to anyone who earns a living doing something that is honest and legal. Yes, I imagine James has more pure fun in his career than some of us, but I don't have his mathematical acuity to do a job like his. Nor the stomach for wagering. 

As far as a no-hitter--- I've seen several and yes, if EVERY game were a no-hitter, with the same pitcher, it would become humdrum and ruin the game eventually. I am enjoying James,  but in time, I'll long for a more suspenseful outcome. 

Well thank you for caring for our kids.  Not many do. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was a RN and think that I made a difference in some people’s lives. Sometimes I even saved them from death. 

Me too. I’m a retired RN, worked more than 40 yrs.and know I helped save many lives. I loved every minute of it.

Back OT, even an old bird like me knew the real names of Superman and Batman.. I only knew Aquaman because of the recent movie (and a hint from my grandson).

• Love 2
On 4/17/2019 at 8:20 PM, SHD said:

Up until the last seconds of FJ, I was sticking with Christopher Robin. It fit the bird part of the clue and it was the right time frame. Then right at the end I yelled “ATTICUS FINCH!!!”

I also said Christopher Robin because I couldn't think of any other character whose last name was a bird. Felt awfully silly when Atticus Finch was revealed.

On 4/17/2019 at 10:00 PM, Abstract said:

I just realized that I'm starting to get Jeopardy anxiety now, wondering each episode if this is the one where James loses. I got that way during Julia Collins' run. I also got that kind of anxiety in 2003 while watching Clay Aiken on American Idol, but that's a dark time in my life that I don't talk about anymore.

I get this as well whenever we have a long-running champ, and I think it is part of why I love when there is someone who just keeps winning! I end up caring more because I want them to continue to win and do well and see how far they can get, as opposed to if there are three random contestants that I don't know and don't particularly care about.

And I am liking James more and more with each game, as we get to know him a bit more. I really enjoy watching him play as well.

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Everyone reading here who has an occupation that contributes to society and makes a difference in the world, raise your hand:

*crickets*

*raises hand* My job makes a difference, and I am lucky enough to be able to see that difference when I watch our babies grow up, get big and come back and visit (I work in a NICU). It's absolutely wonderful to see a child on their first birthday (or beyond!), happy and healthy and home with their family, and remember all the times you stood at their bedside, just trying to make sure they made it through the night.

I'd expect most people's jobs to in some way make a difference. However, I certainly don't hold it against James that he has found a way to earn money and support the lifestyle that he desires.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also was stuck on 'seeking' and couldn't move past it.

• Love 3

I got Final Jeopardy right the last two nights.  I knew Atticus Finch because I was playing a video game recently set in ancient Athens and I was in the Atticus district, lol.  I got Aquaman because I knew Justice League is D.C. and I crossed out the other possibilities like Batman and Superman.  I failed to make the "sea king" connection though.  And another easy win for the gambler.  This is starting to get boring.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I also said Christopher Robin because I couldn't think of any other character whose last name was a bird.

You are given a pass on this answer based on your avatar. I rule your answer correct due to special circumstances.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3

FJ took a sec but I got it. I'm still enjoying James' gameplay but the games themselves are getting boring. I hadn't realized how much I liked the lead going back & forth amongst the players (or at least 2 of them), and having FJ knowledge & wager actually be a factor for the win. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

You are given a pass on this answer based on your avatar. I rule your answer correct due to special circumstances.

Thank you for your consideration 😄

• LOL 1

I can't even watch this anymore.  I know the strategy of working up from the bottom of the categories makes sense since the lead is protected, but the fact that the other contestants pretty much have no chance whatsoever has robbed the game of any suspense.  Much as I like learning new facts, I also want to watch something with at least a modicum of competition. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

*crickets*

I teach special education kids and volunteer for a local charity.  I think a lot of people here have jobs or do other things that make a difference.  

The only thing that bothers me is how bad the other contestants must feel.  I know I’d be pissed if I was chosen to go up against the human computer. 

I can’t help but get the feeling that Jeopardy is playing into this guy.  Why have so many of the Double Jeopardies been up in the lower amount numbers——-once he has a chance to build up a huge amount of money?  And I’ve said this before, the DJ’s have been really easy, imho.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

117B21CE-0D6D-48AB-9DB2-3C341E3BD4C9.thumb.jpeg.6ef43eb3a46f8bbe7c07319dee1be298.jpeg

Does anyone know what this is or where? 

That looks familiar, but I can't remember what it is.

7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I know nothing about any comic book action characters, so when I saw C. King and knew I'd never get the correct response, I just started humming some Carole King songs...

Heh. For a minute I also thought of Carole King and so thought MAYBE it could be Wonder Woman. 

Then I was just going to give up. Suddenly I thought, C. King... Clark Kent. So I went with Superman. I don't pay attention to whether a comic book character is DC or Marvel or Schmo-ville.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

To anyone who raised their hands, you don't have to be a superhero to have changed someone's life.

Had to add, you're all awesome!

Edited by nokat
  • Love 8

I'm a numbers geek... don't hit me... and I'm wondering if James will hit a million within 16 games.

At 1/2 hour each, that'll be a total of 8 hours... i.e., an average work day.

... if he continues winning approx. $70,000 per game, he'll win $1,120,000 in 16 games! That also computes to $140,000 per hour. Wowza.

Lots of assumptions in the above calculations; especially, he'll keep winning.

(I also wonder if James bet on Tiger Woods winning the Masters.)

• Love 5

Final Jeopardy was an instaget for me, but I had a big advantage: I was fiddling with my iPad when Alex read the clue, so I heard it before I saw it. It's much easier if you hear "Sea King" before you see "C. King"!

• Love 5

For those of you who are finding James' blitz boring, perhaps attempt to get excited about which contestant will dethrone him. That's going to happen one day. Will you be watching? I will!

Reading on the Jfan site, I saw this comment: Watching these games is like watching two contestants in one universe, and then, in a complete different reality by himself, is James. I agree. This is an unusual experience and I'm thrilled to witness James' success as it happens. Makes a great 1/2 hr escape from the realities of our planet's conditions.

• Love 14
17 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I'm a numbers geek... don't hit me... and I'm wondering if James will hit a million within 16 games.

At 1/2 hour each, that'll be a total of 8 hours... i.e., an average work day.

... if he continues winning approx. $70,000 per game, he'll win $1,120,000 in 16 games! That also computes to $140,000 per hour. Wowza. 

That doesn't account for all the hours of studying and practicing, but, yes, he's putting up some incredibly impressive numbers.

I haven't had a chance to watch most of this week, and that won't change until Monday, so hopefully I can get caught up on clues this weekend via the archive.  Odds are James will still be there, and hang around a while, so I'll still have plenty of his stellar play and silly gestures to watch when I get back to my usual schedule.

• Love 1

I got Aquaman right away although I had no idea if it was part of the correct franchise because I know essentially nothing about DC or Marvel so I could have easily been guessing something from the wrong side of the tracks. My husband, like others who, heard “seeking” and had a tougher time with it. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That doesn't account for all the hours of studying and practicing, but, yes, he's putting up some incredibly impressive numbers.

Agreed... however, that's a sunk cost. Similar to a university grad's investment (tuition, etc.) to prepare for their career.

James is having an incredible ROI (return on investment) for his hours of preparation.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Agreed... however, that's a sunk cost. Similar to a university grad's investment (tuition, etc.) to prepare for their career.

If we're doing a "dollars earned per hour of work" calculation, I liken the research less to education in advance of the job and more to the parts of the job for which one cannot bill but which must be done in order to do the billable portion.  But, either way, yes, he's enjoying a terrific return.

If I had the misfortune to play against James, and didn't know the answer to a Final Jeopardy question, I'd write, "What is: James my birthday is 4-28.  Insert any year". 

I thought it was sweet that he teared up when talking about his grandmother and was also surprised that she was Japanese.  I read in an interview that she spoke very little English but still enjoyed watching Jeopardy with him.   I'd love to see how he would do against Watson.

Edited by shlbycindyk
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I can't even watch this anymore.  I know the strategy of working up from the bottom of the categories makes sense since the lead is protected, but the fact that the other contestants pretty much have no chance whatsoever has robbed the game of any suspense.  Much as I like learning new facts, I also want to watch something with at least a modicum of competition. 

But they have a chance to ring in and answer correctly.

I apparently watch Jeopardy differently than a lot of people because I only do it to test my knowledge so don’t give a damn when games aren’t competitive or what the champ is like. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

@shlbycindyk, you deserve a LIKE and a LAUGH from me for your above post. I just had to pick one. Nicely written.

ITA. I went back & forth but ultimately laughed since you had already liked.

What is the over/under (think that's a betting term - GFM 🍹) on time for James to be the only contestant playing FJ? Game 15? 20? 80? 

Speaking of Aquaman, Jason Momoa shaved off his beard today. He's still hot. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I am also suspect that because he has such a broad range of knowledge that he just goes for every clue and risks a couple of incorrect answers.

I'm not sure about that, There are lots of times he doesn't ring in on a TS.

I'm really sorry some people are "bored" by James (winning all the time). I watch to play, but I'll confess that I'm truly enjoying James and look forward to watching HIM play.

He's won 11 games. Does that mean he gets to be in the TOC twice? :-)

*crickets*

I write mysteries that have no socially redeeming values whatsoever. They are meant to entertain. Does that contribute to society? Who knows?

I tackle social issues with my historical fiction. Does that contribute to society? I like to think so.

When I worked for a newspaper I dug up info on the KKK, but I also reviewed myself in a Community Theatre play (I was very good).

And, I've taught autistic kids.

Dayum, Alex uttered his favorite word tonight: genre.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Jameson3 said:

This whole James job thing is lame, oh yeah and judgey. Let's not have a listing of every job that someone thinks is better than another. It's more interesting how someone lives their life and how they treat the people that they interact with. Information we do not know about James. 

I'm an RN but I actually only do it for the paycheck lol

I didn't see anyone saying their job was better than anyone else's, just defending their own job.  "Makes a difference" is not the same as "changes the world," and  so I would think your job as an RN definitely makes a difference.  Even if your primary reason is to earn money, if you've ever helped relieve someone's pain you've made a difference. 

I think most jobs do make a difference.  I live in a farming area and we would surely all starve if it wasn't for the farmers, truck drivers, distributers, meat packers, railroad workers, and Walmart cashiers that get the food from the ground to us.

Lawyers and bankers are vital when we need them and yes,  artists, musicians and dog show workers,  all make a difference, adding beauty and pleasure to the world.

I was finding  the conversation interesting. The only person who sounded judgey to me was you, of us.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Love 2

James will be on the second hour of today's Dan Patrick Show.  there will probably be a clip somewhere on DP dot com.   It can be seen live on the Audience Network on TV (only DirecTV or UVerse) between 9 and noon EST.   It is also a radio show, some local stations and also on XM/Sirius.  

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

didn't see anyone saying their job was better than anyone else's, just defending their own job.  "Makes a difference" is not the same as "changes the world," and  so I would think your job as an RN definitely makes a difference.  Even if your primary reason is to earn money, if you've ever helped relieve someone's pain you've made a difference. 

I think the key reaction is that James is not using either argument about himself but others have decided his job is lacking and calling into question his worthiness as a human being.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

Both challengers were pretty good last night but failed to optimize their chances; I noticed Samantha in particular kept returning to low value clues instead of highest. And then they both missed FJ.  It was too late for them anyhow but they could have made better use of their earlier opportunities.

When I saw the FJ category I knew I was doomed.  However, C. King translated itself into Aquaman right away and I remembered he was part of the Justice League because of watching TBBT. Raj: Aquaman sucks!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

If we're doing a "dollars earned per hour of work" calculation, I liken the research less to education in advance of the job and more to the parts of the job for which one cannot bill but which must be done in order to do the billable portion.  But, either way, yes, he's enjoying a terrific return.

Whereas I see non-billable hours (e.g., lawyers come to mind) as the counterpart to the "admin" time on J! such as makeup, etc. All part of the experience.

My basic point, being a numbers person, is that James is making mucho moohlah per hour, and I hope he continues to win big, write whatever he chooses under this FJ question, thank his Nana, put his hand on his heart, and smile that underbite grin. I bet he's a wonderful son, husband and daddy. Just a gut feeling.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I write mysteries that have no socially redeeming values whatsoever. They are meant to entertain. Does that contribute to society? Who knows?

I know.  They (mystery books and those who write them) absolutely do contribute to society. 

Edited by Trey
more clearer writing
  • Love 9
On 4/18/2019 at 10:41 AM, hendersonrocks said:

This interview with James from a few days ago sheds more specific light on why the note to granny and win yesterday was so significant to him.

As much as James annoys me game-wise, I was very moved by his comments about his grandmother.  It touched my heart when he said she was the most beautiful person in the world, because I lost my Mamaw last year and she was certainly the most beautiful person on earth to me.

18 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I don't mind the same person winning a lot, I would just like it to be more competitive. It's become basically one guy giving all the answers. For me, it's more fun to watch a close competition and wonder who is gonna win. 

But that's just me. Maybe others find runaways every day more exciting.

That's what it all boils down to for me.  Just like with sports, blowouts are no fun to watch unless it's your team winning.

• Love 5