Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

I would have thought that would have increased their value!

Especially for a Scotsman! 

I think for things like Culloden and the Stone of Scone (as well as the Liberty Bell and Gettysburg, for that matter), knowing something about the history helps.  I get a chill every time I go to Glen Coe.  Otherwise, they're just fields, bells, rocks, and picturesque glens.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Trey said:

I didn't realize they gave her credit for shallots - totally wrong.  Scallions are green onions and shallots are just the little bulb part.

But they weren't describing food items. They were looking for words that are similar to "scallops" and they must have retro-decided that shallots, as a word, is kind of like the words scallops AND scallions.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But they weren't describing food items. They were looking for words that are similar to "scallops" and they must have retro-decided that shallots, as a word, is kind of like the words scallops AND scallions.

Thank you.  I forgot the clue, was just thinking of the difference between scallions and shallots.

• Love 3

To beat this dead horse, here is the clue:  On the menu, scallops are shellfish & these are immature or green onions.

Much as I love shallots for what they are, they are not an immature or green onion. However, according to at least one source, shallots are referred to as scallions in parts of the US, which may be the reason for the judges' eventual ruling. 

• Love 8

Well, shallots are tiny onion bulbs so, technically, immature onions. I ASS-ume if left alone they will grow into full-sized onions and no longer be shallots. And aren't green onions even younger onions/shallots? I've never grown onions (or potatoes) since they are so inexpensive in stores.

To continue OT about the drive in theaters: Thinking about it, all three drive ins are approximately equal distance from me, one to the east, one to the west and one to the south. The southern one is the freebee. I intend to check it out next year as it is closed for the season currently. I usually go to the eastern one, but this year their double features were of no interest. They are playing double-feature horror films right now, after its yearly all-night-long horror fest a week or so ago.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2018 at 11:36 AM, Mystery Author said:

And the second slot: Outlander. Diana Gabaldon, with whom I did a midnight panel where we and 3 others read sex scenes from our books, is a fun lady. Anyway, the top 5, in no particular order, were:  To Kill a Mockingbird, Outlander, Harry Potter, LOTR, Pride & Prejudice.

I voted for The Book Thief.

At first I was going to say that Outlander shouldn't count as American, since so much of it is set in Scotland, etc, but that criterion would also eliminate Catch-22, which is set almost entirely in Italy, and Dune, which is set in space in the far future. To Kill a Mockingbird is such a quintessentially American book, I'm glad it won. I voted for Dune, which knocked my socks off the first time I read it. I almost went for Lord of the Rings, which I was obsessed with as a young teen, but ultimately I stuck to my private criterion of American authors.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 2
On 10/28/2018 at 1:10 PM, saber5055 said:

Well, shallots are tiny onion bulbs so, technically, immature onions. I ASS-ume if left alone they will grow into full-sized onions and no longer be shallots. And aren't green onions even younger onions/shallots? I've never grown onions (or potatoes) since they are so inexpensive in stores.

To continue OT about the drive in theaters: Thinking about it, all three drive ins are approximately equal distance from me, one to the east, one to the west and one to the south. The southern one is the freebee. I intend to check it out next year as it is closed for the season currently. I usually go to the eastern one, but this year their double features were of no interest. They are playing double-feature horror films right now, after its yearly all-night-long horror fest a week or so ago.

I'm jealous. I would love to be able to go to a drive-in again

I did get FJ immediately but then spent a few seconds trying to think of a play with a werewolf. Heh I knew there wasn’t but it amused me. 

Boy, Alex was really flirting with the lady in the middle. 

• Love 11

Okay, I'm ready for Tori to lose now.  I didn't pay much attention Friday, but her swaying and starting mid-category tonight bugged me. 

I was disappointed that the French category didn't let Alex use his accent very much, but at least he made up for it with "Le Morte d'Arthur".

But I did get Delaware, Tempest (I LOVED that game!), Dance Dance Revolution, and Gloria.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

I'm jealous. I would love to be able to go to a drive-in again

Take a swing through northwestern Illinois next summer and I'll fix you up. You can see five drive-in movies in one weekend, three theaters.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't pay much attention Friday, but her swaying and starting mid-category tonight bugged me. 

I sort of noticed her swaying and figured it would rankle some here. Me, I don't care any more what anyone wears, how they stand, where they wave their buzzer or in what order they pick their clues. It's just no longer important to me. At the moment, too many IRL things are drawing my irritation, I have none to spare for trivial (no pun intended) things. I do like Tori's quick way of asking for her clues, and I also like the fact that she's a freaking WOMAN who has actually has won two days in a row. Wonders ... never cease, please.

FJ category drew another "Oh, merde" from me, but I managed to squeeze the right answer out before time was up.

Yeah ... amazing, isn't it.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I was disappointed that the French category didn't let Alex use his accent very much, but at least he made up for it with "Le Morte d'Arthur".

I know, what was up with that? He did repeat one player's correct answer though, and in such a heavy accent I couldn't understand what in heck he just said. Maybe it was "Le Morte d'Arthur." He packed all his accent power into those few words.

3 minutes ago, SHD said:

How did I know Alex was going to dwell on how small the winning amount was last show? I must be some kind of Kreskin.

This made me laugh. Thanks, Kreskin!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, SHD said:

How did I know Alex was going to dwell on how small the winning amount was last show? I must be some kind of Kreskin.

Sure you're not Nostradamus?

I was rooting for middle person Soyia because, y'know, she's from Decatur. Gotta root for the hometown girl.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, SHD said:

I'm just back from a trip and haven't watched for a couple of weeks.  How lovely of Alex to welcome me home with a mean-spirited dig at a contestant.

• Love 3

I almost said Romeo and Juliet, but then I figured the title had to do with nighttime, so I quickly came to the correct answer.

For TS's, I got breakaway and Tempest (a guess).

Would Black Death be accepted in place of Plague?

• Love 3

When FJ came up I whispered "don't be a comedy, please don't be a comedy"  - I cannot keep the comedies straight to save my life, despite the fact I took a semester of Shakespeare in college. My professor would be so disappointed in me. I lucked out and for once, it was an instaget.

I thought plague might have been a BMS - there are several kinds of plague.

I laughed at the guy's reaction to Alex's Mort d' Arthur correction. My guess was that he's been on the forum and read all the complaining about Alex's French pronunciations.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5

As usual on football nights, I opted for the ball game, but thanks to the archive, I was able to read all the clues.

I got Delaware, breakaway, and Tempest, but none of the TS surprised me - well, maybe W once I really thought about it.

My learn something new for the day was learning the name for playing dead (I got it based on the clue, but had never heard the word before; I have filed thanatosis away in my mental trivia bank).

The Arcade category made me want to go find a place (without kids) to play Skee-Ball.  I wonder if I’d like it anywhere near as much as I did as a child.

FJ was an instaget for me; I’ve never read the play, but moon and moonlight being “aptly” used numerous times took me there immediately just based on the title.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Okay, I'm ready for Tori to lose now.  I didn't pay much attention Friday, but her swaying and starting mid-category tonight bugged me. 

I like her because she's fast, but these things did bug me tonight. She can go now. 

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

When FJ came up I whispered "don't be a comedy, please don't be a comedy".....

I laughed at the guy's reaction to Alex's Mort d' Arthur correction. My guess was that he's been on the forum and read all the complaining about Alex's French pronunciations.

I said, "Oh, crap!" I am not a Shakespeare fan.

I thought the same thing and that he thought Alex was being a pretentious douche.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The Arcade category made me want to go find a place (without kids) to play Skee-Ball.  I wonder if I’d like it anywhere near as much as I did as a child.

I sucked at Skee-Ball. I was more of a pinball girl.  I even had my name on one game for having the top score. It only lasted a few hours until someone beat my score, but still. Growing up, I spent many happy hours in boardwalk arcades.

Tonight I got W (seriously, how the hell did no one even guess at that one?) and Delaware.

FJ was an instaget, then an insta doubting because it seemed too obvious.  I stuck with it, though.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Tonight I got W (seriously, how the hell did no one even guess at that one?)

That was a V8 head slap upon reveal; I'd never heard of the publication, but once I uncovered the answer, I, too, wondered why the hell I didn't guess W given the category plus the clue basically saying "the five these letters form the basis of fact gathering."

FJ was an instaget, then an insta doubting because it seemed too obvious.  I stuck with it, though.

That was a moment's thought for me, too, wondering if I was jumping to a fake-out answer based on the title that most who weren't well versed in Shakespeare would also fall for, whereas if I knew his plays better than I do, I'd know it was actually something else.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

The swaying bothered me, too, but I do appreciate a female champ. I ended up getting W, Delaware, Dance Dance Revolution, Gloria, and the FJ. I always have to be careful with where that “s” goes in the title. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

I'm just back from a trip and haven't watched for a couple of weeks.  How lovely of Alex to welcome me home with a mean-spirited dig at a contestant.

He always does that when the win is small. Calling it now--he will remind us of it again tonight before he adds that she won big last night.

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

When FJ came up I whispered "don't be a comedy, please don't be a comedy"  - I cannot keep the comedies straight to save my life, despite the fact I took a semester of Shakespeare in college. My professor would be so disappointed in me. I lucked out and for once, it was an instaget.

I thought plague might have been a BMS - there are several kinds of plague.

I am usually OK at telling the comedies apart, except for As You Like It and Twelfth Night. Those are the ones that both involve a young woman dressing up as a young man (and would have been played by a young man in Shakespeare's time).

Agree about "plague"--I think "black plague," "black death," and "bubonic plague" would all be acceptable, but not just "plague."

I couldn't hear what the guy said about the "correction." What was it? At least Alex restrained himself from re-pronouncing all the French answers. Now if only we can get him to stop saying "Shakespeeyah" whenever WS comes up.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

He always does that when the win is small. Calling it now--he will remind us of it again tonight before he adds that she won big last night.

Which is why I said it was nice of him to welcome me home.  Don't we all somewhat miss the familiar when we're away?

• Love 2

Would I get partial credit for saying Connecticut instead of Delaware?  You know, one of those small northeastern states?  Probably not. 

I always hate it when Alex says "You picked the right one,", when there are two possible obvious choices, it seems, and I am left wondering, wait, what was the other "one?".  Like last night with Nostradamus.  Then I am left wondering, even though I get the correct answer, what am I too stupid to remember as the "other" choice? 

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I almost said Romeo and Juliet, but then I figured the title had to do with nighttime, so I quickly came to the correct answer.

For TS's, I got breakaway and Tempest (a guess).

I would think Black Death would be accepted. 

In fact, I thought "plague" should have been a BMS.  Plague is a general term for many things and diseases throughout history.  Most use it to mean the Black Death, but it can be applied to other diseases as well. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

In your defense, many of the comedies do have similar names that don't necesarily have anything to do with the plot. The plots tend to be similar, too - it's all a merry mix-up and ends with everybody married to the right person. Twins! Mistaken identities! Cross-dressing disguises! Comical servants! "All's Well that Ends Well" might as well be the name of all of them. I did get tonight's FJ though. It was one of the more obvious ones. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Boy, Alex was really flirting with the lady in the middle. 

Right?  I turned to my family and said, "Alex likes him some Soyia!"

Also, when she got Nostradamus and Alex said, "You picked the right one!", my only thought was, "There's another one?" I guess I'm not up on my 16th century quatrain-writing seers of the future. 

• Love 16
8 hours ago, lb60 said:

I like her because she's fast, but these things did bug me tonight. She can go now. 

I said, "Oh, crap!" I am not a Shakespeare fan.

I thought the same thing and that he thought Alex was being a pretentious douche.

I'm a lit major who never thought Shakespeare was all that (though he did write some mighty fine insults). But I had an awesome professor. You could always tell when he was teaching Hamlet - he always wore this black velour tunic (which isn't the awesome part, more the endearing part).

• Love 3
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I couldn't hear what the guy said about the "correction." What was it? At least Alex restrained himself from re-pronouncing all the French answers. Now if only we can get him to stop saying "Shakespeeyah" whenever WS comes up.

I'm not sure. It was more the kind of scoffing laugh he made that made me like him.

1 hour ago, Kathira said:

In your defense, many of the comedies do have similar names that don't necessarily have anything to do with the plot. The plots tend to be similar, too - it's all a merry mix-up and ends with everybody married to the right person. Twins! Mistaken identities! Cross-dressing disguises! Comical servants! "All's Well that Ends Well" might as well be the name of all of them. I did get tonight's FJ though. It was one of the more obvious ones. 

Thank you! That is exactly my problem. The ones that have different plots, and good titles (Taming of the Shrew, for example) I can remember.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The guy's reaction was hilarious. FINALLY someone laughs at Alex's pronunciations.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

My learn something new for the day was learning the name for playing dead (I got it based on the clue, but had never heard the word before; I have filed thanatosis away in my mental trivia bank).

Yes, I loved learning that. I never thought there was a word for it. Knowing of the villain Thanos makes remembering thanatosis a little easier.

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

That was a V8 head slap upon reveal; I'd never heard of the publication, but once I uncovered the answer, I, too, wondered why the hell I didn't guess W given the category plus the clue basically saying "the five these letters form the basis of fact gathering."

Ohhhhh. *head slap* 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I would think Black Death would be accepted. 

In fact, I thought "plague" should have been a BMS.  Plague is a general term for many things and diseases throughout history.  Most use it to mean the Black Death, but it can be applied to other diseases as well. 

I suspect, based on how it seemed to me that Alex hesitated a second before accepting "plague," that Black Death may have been what they were actually going for.

"Plague" is somewhat problematic.  As you say, the word is often used to mean any epidemic disease.  But it is also the specific name of the disease caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis, which is what the Black Death was.  There is evidence that the Black Death plague was both bubonic (attacking the lymph nodes, and spread by flea bites) and pneumonic (attacking the lungs, and spread through the air).  So ironically, saying "bubonic plague" might have been too specific.

I suppose it all depends on how persnickety we want the judges to be. :-)

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I had recently watched the Arrow episode, The Thanatos Guild, so that word was kind of fresh in my mind.

"In Greek mythology, Thanatos was the personification of death. He was a minor figure in Greek mythology, often referred to but rarely appearing in person."

• Love 2
5 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Also, when she got Nostradamus and Alex said, "You picked the right one!", my only thought was, "There's another one?" I guess I'm not up on my 16th century quatrain-writing seers of the future. 

I thought of Galileo. Not that he was a "seer" but I thought he may have predicted something based on astronomy/science. It probably didn't fit with the rest of whatever was in the clue, though.

• Love 1

I was also puzzled by "You picked the right one", like there are so many other 16th century prognosticators one could name. Such a crowded field...Maybe Alex was thinking of John Dee?  That's all I could come up with after that comment.

What exactly was the contestant's response to "Morte d'Arthur"? 

I expected Tori's answer of Skee Ball to be corrected after the commercial break because I've always thought it was Skeet Ball.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:08 AM, Toothbrush said:

corn grits...yum

Aren't all grits corn?

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, Clanstarling said:

I got Orioles, but I had no idea that there was a Baltimore Oriole bird

It is so named because of the resemblance of the male's colors to those in the crest of Lord Baltimore.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:08 PM, SHD said:

It's a little early so I won't go into specifics, but if anyone says that FJ today was toddler level, I will spit.

Scottish toddler level, ;-)    It was an instaget for me, but then, I've got a degree in Medieval & Renaissance history; I wouldn't say it should've been easy for others.

• Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, Mystery Author said:

Anyway, the top 5, in no particular order, were:  To Kill a Mockingbird, Outlander, Harry Potter, LOTR, Pride & Prejudice.

Outlander?  Really?  Ugh.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, saber5055 said:

Just like the Liberty Bell is just a bell, the Bible is just a book, the crown jewels are just colored rocks. I wouldn't expect it to glow or sing and dance since, after all, it IS a rock. Or rather, a stone. It's the history that makes it special.

A person I know went to Culloden and said it was "just a boring big field" and she hated it. I was offended by her lack of compassion since it is a very special place to descendants of the clans who were massacred there.

It's all in the symbolism, not in any inherent value.

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

FJ category drew another "Oh, merde" from me, but I managed to squeeze the right answer out before time was up.

I was like "I'd totally bet it all on Shakespeare", and unlike my missed Opera DD from a couple of weeks back, I'd have gotten it right.

15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

It certainly should be.

15 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Whereas I'd have been tempted to tell him he got it wrong because he didn't pronounce it correctly.  Yeah, I'm like that sometimes.

13 hours ago, lb60 said:

And yet they still failed to clear the board in both rounds.  I found her off-putting and will be glad to see the end of her.

6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Would I get partial credit for saying Connecticut instead of Delaware?  You know, one of those small northeastern states?  Probably not.

Nope, Du Pont = Delaware.  For many decades it was the largest employer in the state, and Delaware is where the family built their wealth.  If you're ever in the state, go tour one of the three Du Pont family estates (Nemours, Winterthur, or the original property, Hagley); they're all fascinating in their own ways.

I always hate it when Alex says "You picked the right one,", when there are two possible obvious choices, it seems, and I am left wondering, wait, what was the other "one?".  Like last night with Nostradamus.  Then I am left wondering, even though I get the correct answer, what am I too stupid to remember as the "other" choice? 

Kreskin?

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Nope, Du Pont = Delaware.  For many decades it was the largest employer in the state, and Delaware is where the family built their wealth.  If you're ever in the state, go tour one of the three Du Pont family estates (Nemours, Winterthur, or the original property, Hagley); they're all fascinating in their own ways.

Delaware is also where Valerie Bertinelli was born.

(Sorry to waste everyone's time reading that. That's toddler level stuff you all knew already.)

Edited by opus
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Why, "the other one" was Kreskin, of course. (Refer to upthread if you don't "get" this.)

2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

something something Albear Camoo? 

This made me do a spit take. Just like in the old Vaudeville Days! Nicely played, BTAB.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Kreskin?

Prevailing Wind beat me to it. I posted the above while on the previous page, says me in my defense against redundancy. But nice to know PW and I think alike. Well, nice for me anyway.

2 hours ago, opus said:

Delaware is also where Valerie Bertinelli was born.

"Opus and Valerie, sittin' in a tree ..."

• Love 9

That's the *Amazing* Kreskin to you.

I remember watching his show on an Ontario station, as long as the wind was in the right direction. Otherwise the rabbit ears couldn't get the signal from across the river.

• Love 2

I got Dyson pretty quickly for FJ because I figured they picked that ball-front wheelbarrow pic for a reason. Although I did briefly entertain Oreck (I don't know if there's a dude named Oreck or if he's British) before remembering that the ball vacuum is Dyson.

• Love 3