Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, SmallTownMom said:

I wish there had been an episode where all the husbands confront Josh and/or beat the crap out of him. 

I think his sisters he victimized have more of a right to that then the the guys they married. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Michelle had a laundry room breakdown related to her family size...

...and went on to have TWELVE more children. I simply cannot get over this. Ever.

This is why I think they legit live in a fantasy world of their making and they pull people in as needed to fulfill their narrative and discard them as soon as that stops. What would have happened if their 'sweet friend' didn't start doing their laundry? Would they have stopped procreating or continued until Michelle went so unstable that she couldn't drag herself back? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

I’m going to put this here, cause it seems to be the best place. If you follow Humans of New York on FB, today he’s telling the story of an IFB preacher’s wife who left her husband. 

• Thanks 3
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, irisheyes said:

I’m going to put this here, cause it seems to be the best place. If you follow Humans of New York on FB, today he’s telling the story of an IFB preacher’s wife who left her husband. 

Co-signed 100%. I was going to come here to post it somewhere, too. Definitely worth a read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, awaken said:

But did they wear bathing suits at the pool day, or street clothes?? 🤔

The best Christians always swim in street clothes, though Lord Daniel prefers that they swim in drainage ditches rather than pools.

• Fire 2
  • LOL 18
8 hours ago, BetyBee said:

The best Christians always swim in street clothes, though Lord Daniel prefers that they swim in drainage ditches rather than pools.

A thousand likes!!

• LOL 6
7 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

It looks like Esther is trying to cover up the fact that she is skimpily attired.

Someone on Reddit captioned this picture "The Real Housewives of MedicCorps"...

Yet they are only girls, not women. 🤣

• LOL 2

Wow. In Arizona teachers can now teach without a degree. They only need to be enrolled in college to get a job. That means your kid could hit, say three (or 10) teachers in a row with no experience AND no education if they end up in new teacher classrooms.

Granted being taught by an 18 year old with college asperations is better than being taught by Michelle, Jana or Jessa, but if I was an Arizonian parent, I might be a little concerned.

• Mind Blown 8
  • Sad 10
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Wow. In Arizona teachers can now teach without a degree. They only need to be enrolled in college to get a job. That means your kid could hit, say three (or 10) teachers in a row with no experience AND no education if they end up in new teacher classrooms.

Granted being taught by an 18 year old with college asperations is better than being taught by Michelle, Jana or Jessa, but if I was an Arizonian parent, I might be a little concerned.

My son is a teacher in Arizona and part of the reason is they can’t hire enough teachers with teaching degrees. Last year he mentored a new teacher at his school who was in her last semester of college. She was getting a degree in history not education. So no student teaching or education courses.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Teachers are quitting and going to other jobs all over the country.  My nephew is a (very excellent) teacher in Ca, and almost everyone else in his department left this year, and he is exploring other fields of work himself.   Most are leaving teaching all together.  I taught for over 38 years, and I loved my job. (I was the longest employed teacher in our district when I retired).   But kids--and parents--have changed so much over the years that the job has become harder and harder.  When I started teaching, you could count on parent support for their child.  Now it is much less so.  I have come across the attitude that "my kid is your problem during the day" more than once. There are more and more demands from the state, and more and more testing. Depending on the state or the school district, salaries are lower than new teachers expect after paying for an expensive college education.  It is sort of the perfect storm.  I am not surprised (but am disappointed) that states are authorizing non-credentialed teachers.  They are desperate to fill positions.  Same with bus drivers.  There are signs and ads in the paper all the time pleading for school bus drivers.  I wish I knew what the answer is, but I do fear for the future  of education for the children.

• Like 2
  • Sad 21
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

Yes, there are not enough teachers to go around because we are chronically underpaid, undervalued, and expected to be martyrs. I LOVE teaching kids and I am good at it. However, I am so tired of the parents, unrealistic expectations from administration, and interference from government who have never stepped foot in a classroom. I want out desperately. I honestly don’t know what will happen to education in this country. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 6
  • Sad 9
  • Applause 6
  • Love 6
On 7/11/2022 at 5:29 AM, GeeGolly said:

Ditto for Kentucky.  Teachers and trained staff are leaving education in droves.  It’s a true crisis in this state.

• Sad 8
  • Love 2
On 7/13/2022 at 5:59 AM, HooHooHoo said:

Yes, there are not enough teachers to go around because we are chronically underpaid, undervalued, and expected to be martyrs. I LOVE teaching kids and I am good at it. However, I am so tired of the parents, unrealistic expectations from administration, and interference from government who have never stepped foot in a classroom. I want out desperately. I honestly don’t know what will happen to education in this country. 

I hate that this is true. We've had several student tutors who are in the elementary education program at my college and every single one of them have been so excited and enthusiastic about teaching. They deserve to be treated like the dedicated professionals they are, instead of glorified child care workers. (Who also deserve better wages, benefits, and respect.) 

• Like 1
  • Applause 9
  • Love 9
On 7/11/2022 at 6:29 AM, GeeGolly said:

On 7/13/2022 at 8:59 AM, HooHooHoo said:

Ditto in Indiana. $6.1 billion surplus but the sate can’t be bothered to pay its teachers well or treat them like professionals. They keep passing legislation that takes power away from teachers and gives it to nitwits.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 13
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, LilJen said:

Ditto in Indiana. $6.1 billion surplus but the sate can’t be bothered to pay its teachers well or treat them like professionals. They keep passing legislation that takes power away from teachers and gives it to nitwits.

I read an article yesterday at NPR about scary things in Florida about ridding schools of a "progressive" agenda and encouraging an ideological agenda.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 12
On 7/11/2022 at 3:29 AM, GeeGolly said:

I think we all should be very concerned.  There will be a generation of kids with long covid and health related needs, taught by kids who have no higher education IF they survive school shootings and honestly, I am relieved I am an older person.  It boggles my mind that this is actually acceptable.  What is next?  College freshman seeing patients?  Handling legal issues? 

On 7/11/2022 at 6:54 AM, ozziemom said:

My son is a teacher in Arizona and part of the reason is they can’t hire enough teachers with teaching degrees. Last year he mentored a new teacher at his school who was in her last semester of college. She was getting a degree in history not education. So no student teaching or education courses.

I am sure if pay was better, they didn't have to purchase their own supplies and their own personal health were respected they might get more chomping at the bit to teach.

• Like 2
  • Applause 12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/11/2022 at 11:14 AM, CalicoKitty said:

Teachers are quitting and going to other jobs all over the country.  My nephew is a (very excellent) teacher in Ca, and almost everyone else in his department left this year, and he is exploring other fields of work himself.   Most are leaving teaching all together.  I taught for over 38 years, and I loved my job. (I was the longest employed teacher in our district when I retired).   But kids--and parents--have changed so much over the years that the job has become harder and harder.  When I started teaching, you could count on parent support for their child.  Now it is much less so.  I have come across the attitude that "my kid is your problem during the day" more than once. There are more and more demands from the state, and more and more testing. Depending on the state or the school district, salaries are lower than new teachers expect after paying for an expensive college education.  It is sort of the perfect storm.  I am not surprised (but am disappointed) that states are authorizing non-credentialed teachers.  They are desperate to fill positions.  Same with bus drivers.  There are signs and ads in the paper all the time pleading for school bus drivers.  I wish I knew what the answer is, but I do fear for the future  of education for the children.

I have worked at a university for almost 30 years.  We have over 200 STAFF vacancies at this moment (have NEVER had this many open in my tenure here).  People left in droves during the pandemic.  They realized the pay stunk, the hours stunk and they were getting more and more work added to their jobs.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 7
  • Sad 7
  • Love 1
On 7/19/2022 at 11:37 AM, Natalie68 said:

I have worked at a university for almost 30 years.  We have over 200 STAFF vacancies at this moment (have NEVER had this many open in my tenure here).  People left in droves during the pandemic.  They realized the pay stunk, the hours stunk and they were getting more and more work added to their jobs.

Taking this to small talk.

• Love 1

I have't seen the bloomers so much, but the wearing a t shirt under an already modest sundress or a longer skirt that doesn't match under a knee-length skirt isn't limited to the Duggars (the Rod girls are infamous for this). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
6 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I have't seen the bloomers so much, but the wearing a t shirt under an already modest sundress or a longer skirt that doesn't match under a knee-length skirt isn't limited to the Duggars (the Rod girls are infamous for this). 

The girls wore the bloomers in the early specials, but I think they had been pretty much phased out by the time they got x Kids and Counting in 2008.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

In one of the early specials Christmas prep is shown. Giant tree purchased, new bikes for all kids and Jana shows her sewing area where she is making gifts for all the girls. Matching Prairie dress, bloomers, sleeping bonnet and all. Jackson was a baby so it was for the 5 girls. I doubt the younger girls have ever worn bloomers.

• Sad 5
9 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

In one of the early specials Christmas prep is shown. Giant tree purchased, new bikes for all kids and Jana shows her sewing area where she is making gifts for all the girls. Matching Prairie dress, bloomers, sleeping bonnet and all. Jackson was a baby so it was for the 5 girls. I doubt the younger girls have ever worn bloomers.

Johannah was a toddler and Jenni a baby when they started filming the xKids in the summer of '08. I don't remember either of them in bloomers. 

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Johannah was a toddler and Jenni a baby when they started filming the xKids in the summer of '08. I don't remember either of them in bloomers. 

Is that about the time they phased out the gawdawful prairie dresses too?

• LOL 1
17 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Is that about the time they phased out the gawdawful prairie dresses too?

I think so. The older girls favored polos (with modesty tees) and long denim skirts.

That was also the era of the crunchy perms. *shudder*

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

I was watching a YouTube mom make breakfast and lunch, plus prep for dinner, for her 12 kids. She has 4 by birth, 6 adopted through foster care, and 2 through kinship care. Her kids all go to public school and she packs them a cold lunch even in the summer because it's her routine and makes her life easier. What got to me is she makes 12 individual sandwiches for her kids, based on their preferences. If they change what they want, they tell her the night before and she makes a different sandwich for them. They all get a drink, chips, and yogurt every day and she tries to make sure each child gets what they want/like. She also makes a hot breakfast with some type of fruit every morning.

Oh, and both she and her husband are special ed public school teachers. Her parenting philosophy is to just roll with it, there's no sense getting angry and frustrated because you'll just be angry and frustrated all day. When her kids talk to her, she stops talking to the camera and pays attention to the child. 

I just can't image JB & Michelle even knowing their kids' food preferences, let alone abiding by it.

• Like 14
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I was watching a YouTube mom make breakfast and lunch, plus prep for dinner, for her 12 kids. She has 4 by birth, 6 adopted through foster care, and 2 through kinship care. Her kids all go to public school and she packs them a cold lunch even in the summer because it's her routine and makes her life easier. What got to me is she makes 12 individual sandwiches for her kids, based on their preferences. If they change what they want, they tell her the night before and she makes a different sandwich for them. They all get a drink, chips, and yogurt every day and she tries to make sure each child gets what they want/like. She also makes a hot breakfast with some type of fruit every morning.

Oh, and both she and her husband are special ed public school teachers. Her parenting philosophy is to just roll with it, there's no sense getting angry and frustrated because you'll just be angry and frustrated all day. When her kids talk to her, she stops talking to the camera and pays attention to the child. 

I just can't image JB & Michelle even knowing their kids' food preferences, let alone abiding by it.

I just can’t imagine them making any kind of lunches, getting the kids off to school, and then going off to work themselves. You know, like the majority of American parents do.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9