Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Johannah was a toddler and Jenni a baby when they started filming the xKids in the summer of '08. I don't remember either of them in bloomers. 

15 kids and counting - Jackson is the youngest child.

Duggars prepare for christmas.  correction on what I said in the previous post.  Jana shows her secret sewing. Outfits for her sister. Not bloomers though. Prairie dress, apron, petticoat and prairie bonnet. about the 2 min mark is Jana.

• Useful 3
59 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I was watching a YouTube mom make breakfast and lunch, plus prep for dinner, for her 12 kids. She has 4 by birth, 6 adopted through foster care, and 2 through kinship care. Her kids all go to public school and she packs them a cold lunch even in the summer because it's her routine and makes her life easier. What got to me is she makes 12 individual sandwiches for her kids, based on their preferences. If they change what they want, they tell her the night before and she makes a different sandwich for them. They all get a drink, chips, and yogurt every day and she tries to make sure each child gets what they want/like. She also makes a hot breakfast with some type of fruit every morning.

Oh, and both she and her husband are special ed public school teachers. Her parenting philosophy is to just roll with it, there's no sense getting angry and frustrated because you'll just be angry and frustrated all day. When her kids talk to her, she stops talking to the camera and pays attention to the child. 

I just can't image JB & Michelle even knowing their kids' food preferences, let alone abiding by it.

I follow this family along with another one (the Bells 10) on instagram. Just watching these families interact with their children and watching the Duggars, it’s night and day. Also, the mothers do so much more than Michelle. 

• Like 3
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

15 kids and counting - Jackson is the youngest child.

Duggars prepare for christmas.  correction on what I said in the previous post.  Jana shows her secret sewing. Outfits for her sister. Not bloomers though. Prairie dress, apron, petticoat and prairie bonnet. about the 2 min mark is Jana.

So annoying how even back then, Boob and Meechelle walk ahead of every single one of the kids, holding hands. Leaving the sister moms to carry baby in car seat and keep track of the little ones.

• Sad 13
  • Love 8

I think the Duggars went from bloomers and tights, to ankle length skirts/dresses, to leggings with shorter skirts/dresses. I'm guessing the Lost Girls weren't subject to ankle length clothes or bloomers, but have always worn leggings.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 8/28/2022 at 2:57 PM, ozziemom said:

So annoying how even back then, Boob and Meechelle walk ahead of every single one of the kids, holding hands. Leaving the sister moms to carry baby in car seat and keep track of the little ones.

And they don't even look back. It may have just been for the cameras, but I don't think so. They produce children, they don't care for them.

The prairie dress (with petticoat, apron, and bonnet!) was just so very sad.

Going to the grocery store was the highlight of James's day. He got to get out of the house and got some tiny bit of attention.

• Sad 14
1 minute ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

I  wonder if Michelle is actually teaching her kids now. She only has 3 students. (Tyler, Jordyn, and Josie). Unless she's teaching the M's, and other various grandkids. 

Michelle gave up “teaching” her kids when the majority were minors. No way is she teaching the M’s.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Are we positive that Bin is no longer their "teacher"?  

Bin is allegedly employed as a pastor for a sweet church. Plus Jessa has shown Spurgeon being homeschooled at home. If Bin was the TTH teacher he would just teach Spurgeon too. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

I think it’s more likely that Anna is doing the teaching, or they’ve got a tutor.

I’m going with tutor. Anna is probably busy figuring out when/how to be in touch with her hubby. KJ Bates uses college age girls from their church so I’m guessing there are still some sweet friends of JB & Meechelle willing to let their daughter tutor some Duggars. Just like JB was able to find someone to babysit his oldest son.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The teaching and how the money works are my two biggest Duggar mysteries. There are so many kids so close in age that a homeschooling co-op at the big house (mostly taught by Anna because she has the closest thing to training in teaching) just makes good sense. I'd much prefer to see the lot of them in public school, but I'll accept that it probably isn't happening. How to homeschool with extended family also would have been a perfect "ministry" (ugh) since a lot of the Gothard families are going into generation 2. Instead, we've got maybe Ben (technically he does have another job now, but from the descriptions of the church, it doesn't seem like a full time gig), maybe Jana, a lot of workbooks and a lot of ???. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SMama said:

And a lot of computer time. I think they go completely computer based around third grade. Alyssa’s daughters start K just watching videos and workbooks.

Oops, you're right. I managed to block out the videos and 100% computer bit. As a teacher, it gives me hives!

• Like 3
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Oops, you're right. I managed to block out the videos and 100% computer bit. As a teacher, it gives me hives!

Cosigned! Especially as a kinder teacher. The littles need a real teacher interacting with them, not some lady on a screen. I seriously doubt Alyssa sticks around when her girls are in front of their screens with earphones on. What a miserable way to learn. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 8/28/2022 at 8:01 AM, GeeGolly said:

I think the modesty dressing started long before Josh offended. I think they started with Gothard. You can see bloomers on Jana not long after Jinger's birth.

image.png.7113b09bbfddb5e281fc82ede34cd0ec.png

I hate to be fair to JB & Michelle- but this was a popular style of dresses for young girls in the early 90s.

I had many school /Christmas photos with these types of collars as did my friends. I hated the Peter Pan collar but my mom thought it was precious. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, SMama said:

And a lot of computer time. I think they go completely computer based around third grade. Alyssa’s daughters start K just watching videos and workbooks.

I think Alyssa starts them at homeschool even before K, so she’s doing pre-K with a tablet too. Workbooks are what Jessa seems to use for Spurge too.

• Sad 6
11 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I hate to be fair to JB & Michelle- but this was a popular style of dresses for young girls in the early 90s.

I had many school /Christmas photos with these types of collars as did my friends. I hated the Peter Pan collar but my mom thought it was precious. 

That isn't a traditional Peter Pan collar.  I wore PP collars throughout my childhood in the 60s, and they look like this,   71Lbt7cyIUL._AC_UX679_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

That isn't a traditional Peter Pan collar.  I wore PP collars throughout my childhood in the 60s, and they look like this,   71Lbt7cyIUL._AC_UX679_.jpg

Yes, that's okay- looks like a school uniform. 

But I wore those patterned dresses for school picture day and easter photos just like the photo below (velvet at Christmas time, light colors at Easter etc). image.png.b3f5cde838c49fd4f1bbd1aa73c7f57a.png

If you look at old photos of the Kardashian Sisters from that time period, they are wearing similar dresses- they were EVERYWHERE. I bring them up only to demonstrate another family, with a far different lifestyle on the opposite side of the country, at a different income level was rocking the trend. I am glad for my god daughter who is 7 this trend is over.image.thumb.png.fce6063c8d7f88495f69c56b8c955eca.png

• Like 2
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes, that's okay- looks like a school uniform. 

But I wore those patterned dresses for school picture day and easter photos just like the photo below (velvet at Christmas time, light colors at Easter etc). image.png.b3f5cde838c49fd4f1bbd1aa73c7f57a.png

If you look at old photos of the Kardashian Sisters from that time period, they are wearing similar dresses- they were EVERYWHERE. I bring them up only to demonstrate another family, with a far different lifestyle on the opposite side of the country, at a different income level was rocking the trend. I am glad for my god daughter who is 7 this trend is over.image.thumb.png.fce6063c8d7f88495f69c56b8c955eca.png

Agreed.  I wonder what the name is for those dumb collars.

• Like 1

Those huge neck decorations are closer to bib collars than peter pan collars.   I'm not sure if the huge fabric collar covered by white lace or material had a name. I do remember making a couple of dresses with them for one daughter and having one daughter who refused to get near them.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Those huge neck decorations are closer to bib collars than peter pan collars.   I'm not sure if the huge fabric collar covered by white lace or material had a name. I do remember making a couple of dresses with them for one daughter and having one daughter who refused to get near them.  

I've always heard them called bib collars or Pilgrim collars.  I remember buying my baby sister such a dress back then and thinking she looked adorable  in it.  Still do.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I've always thought of them as Pilgrim collars or bibs too. There are pictures of me and my cousin rocking the Pilgrim bibs in the early 90s. I am actually staring at a baby picture of my cousin wearing one as I type this. 😂 None of us wearing the bloomers. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Since the ceremonies didn't end in violence and/or someone going to jail, I very much doubt any of the Duggars, Bateses, or the millions of people who totally ignore Martha Stewart have screwed up their weddings.

• Like 4
On 9/16/2022 at 8:21 PM, jcbrown said:

Color me shocked that the Duggars and their ilk are hopelessly out of date. </sarcasm>

Eh, the style during Josh and Anna's wedding is of course going to be very different from, say, Jeremiah and Hannah given that they are 14 years apart. Whatever may be "out of date" right now was "in" at one point in time. 

• Like 2

I'm generally a fan of 'Do what makes you happy (and doesn't hurt anyone else), who care what the Martha Stewarts, Kardashians and influencers say?" If a Duggar (or Bates) wants a wedding that looks like a mason jar factory exploded, have at it. That being said, I will shed no tears if the chalk signs stating the obvious trend is good and dead. 

• Like 9
  • Love 4

Not sure this applies to bottom shelf influencers or non currency/investment influencers but... Kim K was fined 1.3 million for only posting #ad on a post about cryptocurrency. Apparently the influencer is supposed to make a clear post explaining its a 'commercial' and how much they are being paid.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Not sure this applies to bottom shelf influencers or non currency/investment influencers but... Kim K was fined 1.3 million for only posting #ad on a post about cryptocurrency. Apparently the influencer is supposed to make a clear post explaining its a 'commercial' and how much they are being paid.

I haven’t heard of including how much they’re paid, but ads are supposed to be obvious. Most use “paid partnership”.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Kind of jumping off the Ben Seewald sucks as a breadwinner conversation.

If we look at the Duggars, Bates and Rods, it seems to me the wives outnumber, or at least equal the husbands as breadwinners. And if we include traditional roles, a few of the husbands do most of the cooking.

• JillR, grifter extraordinaire, brings in the majority of Rod funds.
  • Two Bates husbands, Zach & Evan (a Bates and a Bates husband) quit real jobs and now 'work' with their wives.
  • Jessa and Jinger seem to be the primary breadwinners for their families.
  • Another Bates husband, Chad, works, but can't qualify for a mortgage.
  • JB may make smart investments, but Michelle and the 5 daughters carried the shows.
  • Two Bates couples, the Balkas and the Kielens, seem to be 50/50.

I know there's more, but these were the ones at the top of my head. Also, it seems to be out of the more known married couples, only Michaela and Erin Bates had 'achieved' anything close to 'successful' traditional wives and homemakers. I suppose JillD may fall in the bottom of that category.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

If we look at the Duggars, Bates and Rods, it seems to me the wives outnumber, or at least equal the husbands as breadwinners. And if we include traditional roles, a few of the husbands do most of the cooking.

• Two Bates husbands, Zach & Evan (a Bates and a Bates husband) quit real jobs and now 'work' with their wives.
  • JB may make smart investments, but Michelle and the 5 daughters carried the shows.

I know there's more, but these were the ones at the top of my head. Also, it seems to be out of the more known married couples, only Michaela and Erin Bates had 'achieved' anything close to 'successful' traditional wives and homemakers. I suppose JillD may fall in the bottom of that category.

This post reminded me that there are a number of Duggar boys that supposedly work, but what exactly do they do? Jobs Vaguely connected to real estate I guess? It’s also amazing at how poor some of the girls in both families are at basic home skills like cooking, ie Carlin. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 11/2/2022 at 7:58 AM, GeeGolly said:

I would say that of the Duggars, probably the only ones where I feel like the husband was the primary breadwinner were Joy and Austin, and any Duggar son/daughter-in-law couples (except for Justin, because I'm linking him in with the Spiveys).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I would say that of the Duggars, probably the only ones where I feel like the husband was the primary breadwinner were Joy and Austin, and any Duggar son/daughter-in-law couples (except for Justin, because I'm linking him in with the Spiveys).

Yet Joy seems to be one of the most desperate money grubbers on SM. 🤷‍♀️

4 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Yet Joy seems to be one of the most desperate money grubbers on SM. 🤷‍♀️

Does she really shill more than her sisters? I honestly don’t keep track of what each sister shills. They grew up with parents who shamelessly exploited their kids for money. Watched Michelle filming the kid who fell in the orchestra pit while in a stretcher, obviously in pain and scared, with a smile on her face.

They watched their father pressure Jill to be retraumatized by defending the FF on national TV, in a desperate attempt to hang on to TLC money.

JB and Michelle caused permanent damage to all their kids. The four oldest sisters seem unable to turn off the make as much money as possible switch off. They were the draw, the bread and butter of the show. They are irretrievably broken.

• Like 1
  • Sad 11
  • Love 2

I'm guessing the TLC money has finally run dry.

We know Derick ran through much of Jill's money with his education missionary pursuits and his law degree and of course their house, Jessa and Ben seemed to have spent a shit ton of money on their house reno, Jinger and Jeremy just bought a house, and I'm not sure if Joy and Austin have had any recent major expenses.

But the four sisters seem to be increasing their SM shills, especially Jinger.

Coincidence, the upcoming holiday expenses, or maybe no more TLC money.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I agree, the Bank of JB is closed. Jinjer pur down $100k on the Laredo house. Jeremy certainly didn't have that kind of money being a bench warmer for one season with the Red Bulls before relegating himself to the minor leagues in Texas. I don't think his parents have that kind of money either, so it had to come from JB. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1