Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

John did a good job explaining these scams with quite a few zingers.  "Did you donate Debra????"  I wish he would have delved a bit deeper into people like the Duggars who actually do get things covered.  I am blanking on the name of the male preacher who needed emergency heart surgery and was blessed to get it covered.  Because that's the thing with an effective scam, you do have to occasionally payout to keep it running.  And pay out before the news media gets involved.  If no one ever had their claim covered, then the scam would fold much sooner.  The 16% that actually goes to paying out claims needs to go to the ones with the biggest reach in order to reel in more suckers.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

John did a good job explaining these scams with quite a few zingers.  "Did you donate Debra????"  I wish he would have delved a bit deeper into people like the Duggars who actually do get things covered.  I am blanking on the name of the male preacher who needed emergency heart surgery and was blessed to get it covered.

Voddie Baucham - https://www.christiantoday.com/article/over.1m.raised.for.voddie.baucham.as.he.battles.heart.failure/136401.htm

• Love 4

I've mentioned this on here before, but a few years ago, I had some coworkers at a Christian company I worked for advocate for us ditching our real insurance for one of these companies (Samaritan). I only looked at some of the tentative literature, but the rest of us were so vocally opposed to it that they backed down fast. I don't know that it was ever seriously considered by the powers that be. But by our informal lunchtime calculation and ranting about it, almost none of the rest of us sinners or our family members covered by the insurance we then carried would have been eligible for Samaritan coverage, ruled out by everything from smoking to being overweight to preexisting conditions (such as one coworker's husband's cancer) to not attending church. This was a company that had about 20 employees.

The couple in question did claim they'd used Samaritan before, so I'm assuming they're part of the small percentage that maybe passed muster for everything and had their costs paid. However, in the next year or two, the wife developed a fairly aggressive form of breast cancer. She is in remission now, but my understanding is she would now be ineligible for the Samaritan coverage they had advocated for so strongly. 

In any event, it's nice to have some confirmation how much their business model is a crock of shit. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

it seems from public records Anna has 2 new Llcs this week LITTLE M CONSORTIUM LLC and another that seems new ALB Investments Llc with travis story as incorporator/owner. but it has a 2015 date so a Travis Story llc somehow shifted to anna it would seem.

Jeer adds to his extensive list of llc's with a Hometown Construction Llc. Sinner twin now has 6 Llcs

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 8
  • Love 1
(edited)

to add, ALB investments is the Llc involving Josh, Anna and travis story is the one involved in the court cases involving the deed shenanigans. Interesting it has showed up in anna's name now.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Useful 8
On 6/28/2021 at 2:32 PM, anna0852 said:

Those healthcare sharing ministries the fundies love got caught in John Oliver's crosshairs.

This was a really excellent piece explaining what a rip-off these things are and how many people end up deeply in debt after their health care 'ministry' refuses to pay.

They mentioned a woman who was assaulted outside a bar and her Christian sharing plan refused to pay because drinking is sinful, doncha know?

Another was about a young girl who had a seizure, was found to have a large brain tumor and transferred to the nearest large children's hospital for the special surgery she needed.  Sorry. the ministry declared the hospital 'out of network' and refused to pay a dime of the huge bill.

They also explained how this was NOT insurance and that all members are expected to get their medical care and pay for it out of  pocket after begging the provider for a deep discount because they're such good Christians.  After all that, the client can submit to the sharing ministry for payment which may or may not take months to happen if at all.  Many people have been forced into bankruptcy while waiting for the ministry to reimburse them for their expenses.

There are also exclusions in that anything related to smoking or drinking or overeating would not be covered since this is sinful behavior.  Same thing with treatment for STD's or birth control, of course.

On 6/28/2021 at 8:36 PM, Absolom said:

Voddie did a go fund me thing.  I wonder what he did with the surplus funds?

Shopping. Vacations. Redecorating their home. New cars. 

Just my guess. I trust evangelicals like I would trust my cat with my ice cream. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Oh, will definitely mark this to listen to later. Love John Oliver! 

16 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

This one is pure genius. It has it all. 

It really is. It was a great episode. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Interesting article regarding the effect of Josh Duggar's offenses in the Christian homeschooling community.

Quote from the article:

According to research cited in the ERLC’s Caring Well report, “sex offenders who were most committed to church throughout their lives accumulated the most and the youngest victims of all sex offenders, their involvement providing access to more victims.”

• Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Homeschooling can definitely protect perpetrators because the kids have less contact with other trusted adults and in some circles they teach self-blame. But if you look at the pedophile scandals within the Catholic church and BSA, many of those victims didn't tell either and when they did, many times nothing was done.

I think a large part of the problem is this:

"When children are sexually abused, 34 percent of the time the perpetrator is a family member, according to US Bureau of Justice statistics. Another 58 percent of the time, it’s an adult known and trusted by their families."

Kids are less likely to tell on someone they know, and possibly love, and others are less likely to believe (or want to believe) someone they know and trust could be an abuser.

But no matter the situation, Josh and folks like him are scum.

This is a very good point. One of the more notorious murders in Arkansas in my lifetime was connected to the fallout from a Scoutmaster abusing dozens of Boy Scouts. It went on for years before one of them finally told his family. In the past, when he had been accused, nothing was done. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Homeschooling can definitely protect perpetrators because the kids have less contact with other trusted adults and in some circles they teach self-blame. But if you look at the pedophile scandals within the Catholic church and BSA, many of those victims didn't tell either and when they did, many times nothing was done.

I think a large part of the problem is this:

"When children are sexually abused, 34 percent of the time the perpetrator is a family member, according to US Bureau of Justice statistics. Another 58 percent of the time, it’s an adult known and trusted by their families."

Kids are less likely to tell on someone they know, and possibly love, and others are less likely to believe (or want to believe) someone they know and trust could be an abuser.

But no matter the situation, Josh and folks like him are scum.

This article focused on Christian homeschooling. It wasn't meant to take on the topic in general. It was just meant to shine a light on a subset of society that seems to be sweeping this behavior under the rug. I thought it was great that counseling at a young age was suggested. As we've learned by following these folks, counseling is mostly frowned upon and considered a weakness. It's progress to see Christians writing to a Christian audience be so frank about it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

This article focused on Christian homeschooling. It wasn't meant to take on the topic in general. It was just meant to shine a light on a subset of society that seems to be sweeping this behavior under the rug. I thought it was great that counseling at a young age was suggested. As we've learned by following these folks, counseling is mostly frowned upon and considered a weakness. It's progress to see Christians writing to a Christian audience be so frank about it.

I agree its progress to see this particular subset speaking about child abuse. Its great to see anyone speaking about. Its also great the article mentioned counseling, something I obviously believe in. 

I didn't mean to imply I was disagreeing with the article, my point was the problem is so much bigger than Christian homeschoolers. That they're not unique to child abuse or in handling it poorly.

• Love 7

Not sure where to put this...

The discussions about Dr Paine and Mr Seewald have loosely come full circle. An MD for a prison in the Fayetteville area is being investigated for prescribing the horse med to inmates and "thousands" of others.

I wonder if any of the Duggars are some of the thousands of others that he prescribed ivermectin to? I can definitely see Joy and Austin and Josh and Anna taking it. Possibly JD, even though Abbie's a nurse.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Not sure where to put this...

The discussions about Dr Paine and Mr Seewald have loosely come full circle. An MD for a prison in the Fayetteville area is being investigated for prescribing the horse med to inmates and "thousands" of others.

I wonder if any of the Duggars are some of the thousands of others that he prescribed ivermectin to? I can definitely see Joy and Austin and Josh and Anna taking it. Possibly JD, even though Abbie's a nurse.

Guinn Seewald has posted in favor of this in the past 24 hours.

Kristin Nicole Young bragged about it as if it was a legit treatment. 

48 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Guinn Seewald has posted in favor of this in the past 24 hours.

Kristin Nicole Young bragged about it as if it was a legit treatment. 

Hope they both take it and shit their pants. Their poor kids, though.

• Love 2

That pool little kid, bent over the table asleep, should have been given a proper nap. This family really didn't take very good care of the children they have...I don't think things have changed much, either. A "good mother" would have carried that little boy up to his bed for a nap.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

That pool little kid, bent over the table asleep, should have been given a proper nap. This family really didn't take very good care of the children they have...I don't think things have changed much, either. A "good mother" would have carried that little boy up to his bed for a nap.

Or father. Or any adult.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, floridamom said:

This was their before bed bible study, which I'm sure went over the little kids' head and the older ones tuned out.

And this is where Jessa learned it was okay to let poor Henry sleep where ever he dropped. She's pretty much just as good as a mother as Michelle is, she just doesn't have the excuse of having 10-19 kids.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

This was their before bed bible study, which I'm sure went over the little kids' head and the older ones tuned out.

And this is where Jessa learned it was okay to let poor Henry sleep where ever he dropped. She's pretty much just as good as a mother as Michelle is, she just doesn't have the excuse of having 10-19 kids.

Yet…

• Love 8

Ivy was born 5/19, Addison 11/19 and Brooklyn was born 2/21 and Fern 7/21. Bella, Maryella, Grace, Evelyn and Evangeline were born in between. Anna is due or has already given birth.

Bella and Gracie will be turning two soon. Felicity and Evie Joe are about 2 1/2 years apart. Is that the longest span?

• Useful 6
On 9/23/2021 at 10:49 AM, GeeGolly said:

Ivy was born 5/19, Addison 11/19 and Brooklyn was born 2/21 and Fern 7/21. Bella, Maryella, Grace, Evelyn and Evangeline were born in between. Anna is due or has already given birth.

Bella and Gracie will be turning two soon. Felicity and Evie Joe are about 2 1/2 years apart. Is that the longest span?

Yes Felicity and Evangeline are 2 years and 4 months apart.  Henry and Ivy are almost that though. He was born the begining of February and she was born the end of May. If Ivy had been born closer to her due date, it would be the same distance. Jessa went into labor a few weeks early. 

• Useful 4

I find it so interesting we see so many things Duggar, differently. If you all could pick your top 3 and bottom 3 Duggars and top and bottom 2 of the in-laws, who would they be? Top, doesn't mean you have to actually like them, but could mean the least worst.

My top 3 Duggars are: JD, Jill/Jinger (tie) and Joe

Bottom 3: Josh, JB/M (tie) and Jed

Top 2 in-laws: Kendra & Abbie

Bottom 2: Derick and Lauren

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Top 3 Duggars: Hannie, Jenni, Jordyn

Bottom 3: Boob, Michelle, Josh

Top 2 in-laws: Abbie, Lauren*

Bottom 2: Jeremy, Anna

* I actually don't like Lauren's personality, per se, but I respect her for getting the heck off social media and sticking to it.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

Top 3 Duggars: - Jackson, Jenny, Jordyn

Bottom 3: Josh, Jed, Jason - all have the same smug arrogance

Top 2 In-laws: Lauren and Claire  - points for little to no social media posts

Bottom 2: Austin and Jeremy

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Top 3:  Jenni, Jordan, Jackson 

Bottom 3:  Josh, JB, Michelle

Top 2 in-laws:  Abbie, Lauren

Bottom 2 in-laws: Jeremy, Anna (I wanted to say Derrick, but Izzy is going to public school so that puts him slightly above Anna)

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Top 3: Jill, Jana, Josiah

Bottom 3: Josh, Jed!, JB+Michelle (tie, I go back and forth on who's driving this bus)

Top 2 in-laws: Abbie, Claire

Bottom 2: Jeremy, Anna

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 6

I'm just gonna focus on the kidults for the Duggars.

Top 3: Jill, Justin, and JD

Bottom 3: Josh, JB, and Michelle. But if only including the Duggar children, then it would be Josh, Jed! and Jessa

Top 2 in-laws: Abbie and Claire

Bottom 2 in-laws: Jeremy and Anna

And...best extended family members: Jessica Seewald, Charles Vuolo (Jeremy's brother), Reed Roberts (Katey's half-brother) 

Worst extended family members: Terry Forsyth, John Shrader

• Love 12

So, I happened upon this chart and thought I'd put it here because we have so many discussions about the Duggar kids' hair. IMO, Spurge has a mix of 2C & 3A, Henry, Ivy and Felicity have 2C, and just for contrast Abbie has 3C or 4A. Again, IMO.

The texture and thickness of the hair matters too. Baby fine, wavy, thin hair like Felicity's and Ivy's can be brushed, although it'll probably lose the curl. Even thicker hair like Spurge's and Henry's can be brushed and combed, when wet, again it will probably lose most or all of the curl. Abbie's hair can be combed with fingers, a wide tooth comb or pick, when wet to get the tangles out.

image.thumb.png.4892a386dc6520d348d4a0377cb1b05e.png

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2

That is interesting. I'm probably a 1 or at most a 2A, but my husband is probably a 3A or a 3B. I actually do know a guy in our church choir who is probably a 4C. I'm struggling to imagine a 4B because that just looks so zig-zaggy.

It will be interesting to see how Gracie's hair plays out when she gets older, because just what we've seen so far, she seems to have straighter hair than any of the Seewald children, which means her hair texture was likely inherited from JD.

Edited by madpsych78
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Does Jessa have naturally curly hair? I can't remember which J'slaves were natural and which ones permed. Or did they all perm?

They all permed, but Jessa has naturally curly hair. You can see it in her toddler pics. 

• Useful 5