Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05 Episode 5 2018.07.15

• Start Topic

(edited)

This episode is up already On Demand so I suppose it is OK to discuss it. 

I think this episode was the best of the series so far. The "Cole" segment is incredible. Wow! And Nan is Amy Irving! The way in which this segment unfolds is so moving. 

I love this show and this season for me is terrific and this entire episode (of first Vic and then Cole) sort of foreshadows in my opinion exactly where this season is going. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 14

This episode. First of all...acting knocked out of the park by all involved. Oh my! Vic segment...amazing job by Omar. Loved the “mirror image” scenes, of Vic trying to talk with his parents about his illness, his dying wishes, and their reaction (or lack thereof)...cut to Vic having to tell the parents of his young patient that she might have cancer, and those parents screaming/sobbing utter devastation. 

Next...dear God Helen...most of us viewers knew you didn’t want to try and have another baby...why weren’t you just honest with Vic? Why lie and fake taking the injections? I guess we know what Maura was talking about in preseason interviews when she said Helen made selfish choices she herself didn’t agree with (I don’t think it’s selfish for Helen not to want to be pregnant a 5th time...but the lying was a cowardly thing to do.)

And so...from what Vic told Sierra...it appears he sort of had his own selfish reasons for hanging in there with Helen for so long...cause he knew it pisssd his parents off! A tarnish on our dashing, mr.perfect Dr. Ullah.

And so...he cheats...Sierra will have his baby...and who cares?! Helen might as well pack up Trevor and Stacey now and head back to Brooklyn. She knows deep down that she really “can” live without Vic, so why stick around and watch him die? This episode left me really wondering where it is all going! Not what I was predicting 4 back. I feel lost!

Cole and his “walkabout?” I loved Amy Irving, and I got what we were supposed to take away from all that. Heavy heavy stuff in terms of Cole’s Father. 

But for the love of God, what was the point of Dephine? What the hell did Cole do that for?! That was gratuitous and insulting to viewers. No part in the story arc at all. 

Cant wait for more people to watch and check in here! Dying to hear other perspectives!

• Love 21

The Cole part of the episode was ridiculous!  I also feel badly that Cherry is always portrayed as a quasi-villain on the show.  Geez. Being married to Cole's dad couldn't have been easy.

I get Vic's struggles and his anger, but why isn't the million dollar life insurance policy enough to repay his alleged debt to his parents? Why is a child necessary? Most parents sacrifice for their children. It's just part of the deal and you don't expect repayment.

The overacting on the part of the mother of the child that Vic operated on was cringeworthy.

• Love 20
11 minutes ago, LydiaE said:

The overacting on the part of the mother of the child that Vic operated on was cringeworthy.

Since this was Vik’s “viewpoint” and we have seen how those reflect that person’s version of reality, I took that to be his perception of her reaction in contrast to the coldness of his own mother.

3 hours ago, Lozu68 said:
3 hours ago, Lozu68 said:

Oh my! Vic segment...amazing job by Omar. Loved the “mirror image” scenes, of Vic trying to talk with his parents about his illness, his dying wishes, and their reaction (or lack thereof)...cut to Vic having to tell the parents of his young patient that she might have cancer, and those parents screaming/sobbing utter devastation. 

He was terrific. 

• Love 11

Of course Cole can’t live without Allison, I mean who could?  Right? 

I see why Sierra was introduced now.  I hope she has the baby for Vic’s sake.  

25 minutes ago, LydiaE said:

The Cole part of the episode was ridiculous!  I also feel badly that Cherry is always portrayed as a quasi-villain on the show.  Geez. Being married to Cole's dad couldn't have been easy.

Cheery didn’t have to be married to him though.  It sounds like she manipulated him into staying married to her and having more kids.  She is a villain.  

• Love 18
(edited)

I may be wrong, but in the scene where Vik and Sierra "get it on," didn't it look as if Sierra had scars underneath her breast(s), or were they surgical markings for a planned procedure?

Edited by preeya

Well... I loved this episode. Yes there were cringey parts like the exorcism but overall I found it to be impactful, emotional and it just resonated for me. 

I applauded when Vic bought the Porsche... thought that was great.

I felt such empathy for Vic. Yes, asking Helen to have a baby was wrong but imagine having no one to turn to (your parents are in denial and your SO is overly dramatic and trying to control everything) and then having to perform at such a high level at work. I am glad that he was finally able to open up to neighbor lady. On a side note why is TV sex always so perfunctory... no foreplay, no tenderness, no build-up... just straight to penis in vagina!

When Vic mentioned that his decisions were essentially in reaction to his parents, I think a lot of people can really relate to that. 

Yep lady in the hospital was terribly over the top. 

Cole finally admits what we all knew. Glad he owned his truth. He and Luisa are just not to be. Wouldn’t mind if endgame is Cole and Alison actually. Loved the scene with the stones... with him saying things he disliked.

Overall great episode IMO. Keep it up show!

• Love 13
1 hour ago, casey65 said:

Since this was Vik’s “viewpoint” and we have seen how those reflect that person’s version of reality, I took that to be his perception of her reaction in contrast to the coldness of his own mother.

That's a good point. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Lemons said:

Cheery didn’t have to be married to him though.  It sounds like she manipulated him into staying married to her and having more kids.  She is a villain.  

That's a skewed way of thinking. Unless Cherry drugged and raped him several times, he obviously wanted the kids too, or at least the sex involved.

It was pretty desperate and pathetic of a Cherry to threaten to kill herself, but I guess Cole's dad could relate to feelings of desperation and hopelessness considering he killed himself, leaving behind a wife and kids.

• Love 7

I thought the same thing about the screaming mother - that it was way overacted but probably just indicated how exaggerated her reaction seemed to Vik in contrast with his parents’ complete denial.

Loved the scene where Vik bought the Porsche, but the whole thing with Sierra was way too predictable, from “is that your car”, to her utterly transparent comments about sex while they were driving, to them finally having sex on her couch. (And totally agree with the comment about there being nothing in the way of foreplay... are all women on TV supposed to be 100% ready to go 24/7 or what?!)

I knew when Helen told Vik she’d do the injection herself that she wouldn’t really do it. That was another thing that was super predictable. Not that I blame her, but she should have been smart enough to keep her mouth shut, or better yet, be honest with him in the first place about why having a baby is a bad idea. (And when she did tell him why, all I could think was “are the writers reading this forum?”)

Felt really bad for Vik when he talked about how everything he did was either for or in reaction to his parents. They’ve been controlling his entire life one way or another and the poor guy can’t even admit it to himself, and maybe break free, until he’s dying. I really, really hope that Sierra isn’t pregnant because I wouldn’t wish those two on my worst enemy, much less an innocent child.

Cole, Cole... dude... really?!  Does ol’ Duckface have a magic vagina? Seriously, what’s so freakin’ irresistible about Alison?

I feel bad for Gabriel, but he really should have manned up and left Cherry before having any more kids. As the child of a verbally abusive alcoholic myself, I hate that Cole and his brothers were put through that. (Was there also a sister? I forget.) Leaving Cherry would have been a selfish thing to do, but it would have prevented so much misery for all concerned.

• Love 12

The best episode of the season so far. Granted, my expectations were very low. I’d expected to be annoyed with the walkabout but the revelation it brought to Nan was cathartic for her and Cole. I didn’t care for the manic pixie dream girl being thrown at us at all. I did however appreciate that Cole isn’t lying to himself anymore and that Luisa deserved someone who was all in. Even if he can’t end up with “magic” Alison, at least set Luisa free.

I knew Helen wasn’t taking the shots and as others have mentioned, it is perfectly okay to not want to have a baby. It is not okay to lie about it. I had a great deal of empathy for him when he was discussing his parents and his decision making regarding them. All around good writing and acting this episode. If there are more episodes like this one, I’m back all in! (Last week I half watched while lurking in another show’s forum.)

• Love 14

I find the opinions posted here so interesting. I love them all. 

I love this show. I love the way it unfolds. And I suppose I love it because it sort of is presented in a linear way, with very little mystery (except where is Alison?) and with all the shows that have been endless mysteries in different confusing ways (The Sinner, Westworld, True Detective and now Sharp Objects) this show seems like a breath of fresh air. 

I loved the Cole segment. But I do agree that his sex with Delphina just did not fit. 

• Love 9
(edited)
27 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

Does ol’ Duckface have a magic vagina? Seriously, what’s so freakin’ irresistible about Alison?

She’s so irresistible that every other major player on this show has been cheated on except for her, if I’m not mistaken, but others deserve to be cheated on twice.

It wouldn’t even be that bad if Alison had ever shown any inkling of feeling even one iota of the same towards him. What kind of relationship are they really supposed to have?  She’s still blaming Cole for their son’s death as recently as last week’s episode, and still keeping the truth of his brother’s death from him. 

Do you, Cole.  He and Alison deserve each other. He deserves any and all suffering that will  undoubtedly result as he will stupidly believe that things will be different when she already admitted last season that she isn’t going to change. 

I think I’m done. I was hoping for better for Cole and liked him and Luisa before he ruined it. Oh well. 

Edited by KBrownie
  • Love 6

And it’s only just now that I realised that Alison and Noah were nowhere to be seen in this best of this season’s episode. 

Coincidence? I think not.

(And I find Noah and Alison to be interesting characters and enjoy the actors who play them. But it’s telling that I enjoyed this episode as much as I did without their characters driving the narrative.)

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, KBrownie said:

She’s so irresistible that every other major player on this show has been cheated on except for her, if I’m not mistaken, but others deserve to be cheated on twice.

Didn’t Noah cheat on her with the girl who was with him on his book tour (Eden?)? I could be wrong but I thought they hooked up.

• Love 3

I wouldn't mind Cole and Alison back together just for the sake of other people not falling in love with her anymore .. but as into her as he is , I just don't see her being in love with him .. and what is cole talking about that he wishes she would stop choosing men who don't deserve her because she deserves the best ? She's the one who cheats on EVERYONE . Even Noah's random student caught onto that within 1 minute . She's the poison in everyone's lives . 

Im not looking forward to seeing vik get sicker and sicker until he eventually dies , but seeing episodes like this does somehow make you think about your own life and that at any given moment anything can happen , so appreciate being healthy . 

Vik and Helen are pretty much companions at this point . I don't think either of them are in love with the other and I think Helen knew it all along and Vik is just realizing it . 

did anyone else think Cole was gonna sleep with nan ? 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, casey65 said:

Didn’t Noah cheat on her with the girl who was with him on his book tour (Eden?)? I could be wrong but I thought they hooked up.

He almost did. I think she stopped it because she "doesn't mix business with pleasure".

Loved this episode. While I missed most of Vic's segment, I loved Cole's realization that his mom is fundamentally not a good person. Alison did tell him last season, Cole needs to be the good guy, but sometimes he just has to be the bad guy. Luisa deserves better. I'm bummed that we most likely won't get a Luisa POV because what's there to go from here with her. He'll go back, divorce her, and she's no longer needed on the show. Nan is so dynamic, no wonder Delphine is a disciple.

The witch in me loved the ritual too.

• Love 6

Here’s hoping that Cole’s return to Montauk and breaking the news to Luisa that he wants a divorce will be shown from her POV. I still don’t like her much, but she really does deserve better.

Hey, no Cole/Noah/Anton flashforward this week! I still really want to know how Anton ends up going with them.

• Love 3

So when Vik dies, Helen gets no money? I know her family has money, but damn. 

Well now we know why Vik is with Helen.

I may be in the minority, but I think Alison is pretty - or at least she isn't u gky. She has that helpless quality that some men cannot resist. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

This episode is up already On Demand so I suppose it is OK to discuss it. 

I think this episode was the best of the series so far. The "Cole" segment is incredible. Wow! And Nan is Amy Irving! The way in which this segment unfolds is so moving. 

I love this show and this season for me is terrific and this entire episode (of first Vic and then Cole) sort of foreshadows in my opinion exactly where this season is going. 

WHAAAT ?????  Amy Irving, as in “Crossing Delancey” and the pickle man?  I’ll have to go and look again, as I would have never known.   Anyhow, this episode was GOLD.  Vic and the girl next door.  Cole finding out about his Father and admitting its Allison, the one he loves.  WOW.

• Love 6

I just...hated this entire episode (I'm sorry to post that when everyone sounds like they loved it). I thought some of Vic's thoughts & emotions rang true but then waif neighbor showed up. And Nan sounded completely full of be'shert. 

I was willing to play along with the walkabout, but I just didn't recognize Cole at all. Sure, he's up for a good salon and he'll sleep with rando girl after professing his devotion to Alison. I get trying to make the connection between Nan and Alison, but it's impossible for me to see Cheri as the bad guy in this scenario. Gabriel hung himself on her kid's birthday? I don't think I could process much understanding for several years; obviously she changed her outlook since she's the one who sent Cole to CA.

Next week: the FAA is completely disarmed by Alison''s charms!

• Love 18
4 hours ago, preeya said:

I may be wrong, but in the scene where Vik and Sierra "get it on," didn't it look as if Sierra had scars underneath her breast(s), or were they surgical markings for a planned procedure

I think it was a tattoo?

The star of this episode for me was Amy Irving's skin. It's FLAWLESS. 

Ain't no way Vic didn't put a baby in Sierra's uterus. Glad to know he shirked all of his patients in order to achieve this. 

LOL'd at the Exorcism Helper girl and that the 6-month "walkabout" lasted less than 6 days. 

I didn’t recognize Amy Irving but good for her as I liked her part on this show. I did find it a little unbelievable though that she (the Nan character) “carved” that surfboard. 

Now I'm waiting to see how he, Noah and the student will get together to go looking for Allison. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I wouldn't mind Cole and Alison back together just for the sake of other people not falling in love with her anymore .. but as into her as he is , I just don't see her being in love with him .. and what is cole talking about that he wishes she would stop choosing men who don't deserve her because she deserves the best ? She's the one who cheats on EVERYONE . Even Noah's random student caught onto that within 1 minute . She's the poison in everyone's lives . 

Im not looking forward to seeing vik get sicker and sicker until he eventually dies , but seeing episodes like this does somehow make you think about your own life and that at any given moment anything can happen , so appreciate being healthy . 

Vik and Helen are pretty much companions at this point . I don't think either of them are in love with the other and I think Helen knew it all along and Vik is just realizing it . 

did anyone else think Cole was gonna sleep with nan ? 

No, I didn’t think that he would sleep with her, but I knew she had something to do with the Father.  Amy Irving?  You could have knocked me over with a feather.

The minute I saw Sienna with the garbage pails the first time, I said “there’s Vic’s baby momma.”  I’m so happy there wasn’t too much of Helen as I am over her and her lip.

Geeze, the sex.  Always on the kitchen counter, table, bathroom sink, car hood, standing on the beach, etc.  Bing, bam, thank you mam.  How about a nice love scene for a change for a woman.  These “quickies” are getting annoying.

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:

WHAAAT ?????  Amy Irving, as in “Crossing Delancey” and the pickle man?  I’ll have to go and look again, as I would have never known.   Anyhow, this episode was GOLD.  Vic and the girl next door.  Cole finding out about his Father and admitting its Allison, the one he loves.  WOW.

Yes! Amy Irving from the film "Carrie!" She played "Nan!"  

• Love 6

Yes! Amy Irving from the film "Carrie!" She played "Nan!"

I'm sorry, I just heard "Carrie" and screamed "dirty pillows!"  (I thought the actress was Anne Archer.

Good episode - no Noah, No Duck Face.

First time Mr. Chabeli watched with me - upon seeing Cole, he asks, "Is that Spazzway?"

I started watching this show because of Helen.  She's as unlikable as the rest.

Cole tell Duckface you love her. Helen tell Noah you love him.

Hopefully it will all end after that. But Luisa, Vic, = collateral damage.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, chick binewski said:

I just...hated this entire episode (I'm sorry to post that when everyone sounds like they loved it). I thought some of Vic's thoughts & emotions rang true but then waif neighbor showed up. And Nan sounded completely full of be'shert. 

I was willing to play along with the walkabout, but I just didn't recognize Cole at all. Sure, he's up for a good salon and he'll sleep with rando girl after professing his devotion to Alison. I get trying to make the connection between Nan and Alison, but it's impossible for me to see Cheri as the bad guy in this scenario. Gabriel hung himself on her kid's birthday? I don't think I could process much understanding for several years; obviously she changed her outlook since she's the one who sent Cole to CA.

Next week: the FAA is completely disarmed by Alison''s charms!

Vik and the neighbor's hookup been telegraphed from minute one, so the entire setup ("Is that your car?!") wasn't necessary. They might as well have just screwed behind the trash bins.

Cole in California was laughable. Everyone in California is cool, see. It's all free love, art, surfing and drugs. No one has affairs; it's all finding your soul mate and unbuttoning and inhaling and exhaling. It's all cool, man. California.

Edited by bilgistic
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
(edited)

Wasn’t Vik something of a playboy when Helen started dating him?  They’re trying to make him a dutiful son who denies himself everything.  Seems a lot different from his original characterization.

I can understand that crying woman making him want to get away and make an impulse purchase — for $205,000 on a credit card no less.  But a sports car followed by sex with a younger woman.  Is living out a cliche suppose to be cathartic?  Well at least they did it all within 30 minutes.

That exorcism voodoo seems like something dreamed up by people who think the worst about flaky Californians.

First of all, how the hell does someone from Idaho get a name like Delphine?

Of course Cole’s segment also involved sex with a young woman.  Looked like grandma herself wanted to jump his bones but they can’t have a naked woman on screen unless she’s young.

Cole convinced Luisa and himself that he’d moved on, when he pursued her, then married her.  Now he’s convinced he has to get Allison back.  

These people are just torturing each other.  Seriously, just jerking each other around.  This episode, Vik joined in on the cheating party.

The writers must be trying to say that there is no such thing as karma, because these characters are horrible to each other yet they keep getting a lot of sex, they’re rich and they’re depicted sympathetically.

Or do they think they have to live up to the name of the show and get everyone involved to have affairs?

Edited by scrb
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, scrb said:

Or do they think they have to live up to the name of the show and get everyone involved to have affairs?

Seriously. They should just rename it "The Affairs." Because, like Oprah handing out Pontiacs, everyone gets one.

giphy.gif

I also found it eye-rolling inducing that Gabriel (Cole's dead dad) couldn't get over someone he had been with for less than three months for a over a decade of life. But hey, Cole got his easy epiphany out of it during the episode, so that's all the writers care about. Thanks for showing up as a plot device though, Amy Irving! 

I was blown away by the acting in this episode.   Where has Amy Irving been all these years.  

I was drawn into the show as I have not been in ages, although the plot was implausible.  

Please don't let Sienna be pregnant; that would be going too far.   Didn't someone upthread predict this early on?  And the caricature of California hippie culture is over the top.

I love Ruth Wilson; I've admired her since Luther.  I think she's a very good actress and unusually beautiful.  

• Love 2

So apparently no one can just keep it in their [married] pants on this show. Ugh. Just disgusting. Cheaters are pretty much the lowest of the low for me and this show actually does a bang-up job of illustrating why. Cowardly, weak, selfish idiots.

That being said, good episode. Really enjoyed Vic's point of view, that was fresh. And for all of its fundamental sleaziness, Gabriel and Nan's story was a poignant one.

• Love 7

Good episode, mostly because no Alison or Noah, I liked Vic’s story the best, while a bit cliche it rang somewhat true. Guy is dying and the people he loves aren’t giving him at all what he needs (Helen bossing him around, his parents non reaction). So neighbor girl just listening seemed what the poor guy needed. Nice car, good for him.

i liked Coles part but why did they have to make Nan some super over the top hippy dippy guru with an on site hooker for random passing guests? Really?  Love Amy Irving though. They could have just made her a cool artsy kinda older lady. All the exorcism stuff was dumb. And was it really Cherrys fault that his dad was a weak selfish jerk who hung himself ? Pretty sure he could have stayed with the magical Nan and everyone back home would have figured it out, even if Cherry threatened suicide, still not his obligation to provide someone’s will to live. And Cole now can’t live without Allison the worlds most awful human EVER! Ugh. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I am so embarrassed. I thought Vik was buying the Porsche for his father. 

Well he might leave it to his Dad in his will. He’s living out his father’s dream for a bit by driving it first. 

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, scrb said:

The writers must be trying to say that there is no such thing as karma, because these characters are horrible to each other yet they keep getting a lot of sex, they’re rich and they’re depicted sympathetically.

4 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Seriously. They should just rename it "The Affairs." Because, like Oprah handing out Pontiacs, everyone gets one.

I also found it eye-rolling inducing that Gabriel (Cole's dead dad) couldn't get over someone he had been with for less than three months for a over a decade of life. But hey, Cole got his easy epiphany out of it during the episode, so that's all the writers care about. Thanks for showing up as a plot device though, Amy Irving! 

4 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

So apparently no one can just keep it in their [married] pants on this show. Ugh. Just disgusting. Cheaters are pretty much the lowest of the low for me and this show actually does a bang-up job of illustrating why. Cowardly, weak, selfish idiots.

That being said, good episode. Really enjoyed Vic's point of view, that was fresh. And for all of its fundamental sleaziness, Gabriel and Nan's story was a poignant one.

Early in the series, one of the creators of the show said she was interested in exploring affairs and the people who are affected by them.  She didn't view people as wrong or right in the issue, she wanted to explore how people react when this happens.  I think the show does a very good job of trying to show the fall out from infidelity. 

I was hoping that Vic would avoid infidelity (although Helen slept with Noah after she became involved with Vic), and I thought it was a little pat that he told the neighbor he chose Helen because he knew it would drive his parents crazy.  We've not seen any of that.  In fact, up until Helen said she wasn't giving herself the shots, their little interlude in the morning seemed very loving and like they truly care for one another.  I hate that they are making Helen do these things. 

I did enjoy the episode very much.  This whole season, so far, is miles above last season. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, attica said:

Both arcs this week were an examination of how much men just won't do emotional labor.

I'm frankly amazed this show has a woman showrunner. 

Kind of makes perfect sense that a woman showrunner explores how much men just won't do emotional labor.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

Kind of makes perfect sense that a woman showrunner explores how much men just won't do emotional labor.

I would hope they'd do so with a buttload fewer cliche tropes, is all.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I am so embarrassed. I thought Vik was buying the Porsche for his father. 

Don't feel bad; I did, too.

It's good to know that Amy Irving remains every bit as insufferable as she was in the long-ago 1970s when she and I both were young.  White privilege hadn't even been invented yet, and yet still, Amy Irving managed to be the poster girl for it!  Find my scent in nature...  If that isn't a set up waiting for a punchline, I don't know what is.

I found the Vik sequence very touching, though.  And I found myself warming to the Sierra character.  The whole interaction felt very emotionally true to me.

• Love 9

Plus the writers didn't do their research:  Morro Bay is hardly the surfside mystic hippie capital of California.  It's actually a pretty prosaic little town.

I get that there are no towns as such in surfside mystic hippie Big Sur, which is probably what the writers were angling for.  Maybe they should have pretended that Cambria is on the water.  Cole could have had a Mystical Experience with a female elephant seal!

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Maximona said:

White privilege hadn't even been invented yet, and yet still, Amy Irving managed to be the poster girl for it! 

I think everyone on this show suffers from privilege and that's why I could care less about any of their "problems."  I remember back in S1 when Allison and Cole were somewhat middle class, working folk. (And even Cole in his cab driving days which lasted, what? Two episodes?) But now, everyone's rich (Cole, Luisa, Allison, Vik, Helen) and/or (in)famous (Noah). Everyone lives in a million-dollar home without seemingly a financial care in the world, "Put this $205,000 car on my Black Card!" It's like Dynasty without all the OTT clothes and Melrose Place without the community swimming pool.  These people have everything they want and yet, seem to be nothing more than your average, everyday assholes sharing their ceaseless dullness and joyless existences with whoever happens to be in their orbit during the episode. They're all shitty, boring people who do shitty things. 

Also, why weren't the tumors in the child's liver found on ultrasound or a CT scan? Don't they have fancy medical equipment at Vik's facility? What was the operation for if not to remove them? 

7 hours ago, scrb said:

This show, Orphan Black, and the movie Atomic Blonde have convinced me that if you're a seductress, you're legally required to be named Delphine. (Realistically, though, I can totally believe that someone living that life would go by the name Delphine, even though their Idaho birth certificate says "Jennifer.")

20 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I think everyone on this show suffers from privilege and that's why I could care less about any of their "problems."  I remember back in S1 when Allison and Cole were somewhat middle class, working folk. (And even Cole in his cab driving days which lasted, what? Two episodes?) But now, everyone's rich (Cole, Luisa, Allison, Vik, Helen) and/or (in)famous (Noah). Everyone lives in a million-dollar home without seemingly a financial care in the world, "Put this $205,000 car on my Black Card!" It's like Dynasty without all the OTT clothes and Melrose Place without the community swimming pool.  These people have everything they want and yet, seem to be nothing more than your average, everyday assholes sharing their ceaseless dullness and joyless existences with whoever happens to be in their orbit during the episode. They're all shitty, boring people who do shitty things. 

With the exception of Cole's brief foray into financial struggling when he realized that his family's gazillion-dollar ranch was mortgaged to the hilt, these characters have always had a ridiculous amount of money. Cole and Alison have had extremely valuable property, even when they were portrayed as salt-of-the-earth working class people. I hate that aspect of the show. If you want to make a series that really deals with class conflict, don't make all of the characters rich.

• Love 13
(edited)
14 hours ago, mochamajesty said:

Good immigrant son continues to  take care of his parents from the grave. 

44 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Yup, yup and yup. Not only are they all rich with no real jobs (except for Vik and Noah, but I guess he takes off with Cole soon, how is that possible for a working person??), they are all able to travel on a moments notice for both short and long periods of time. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, preeya said:

I may be wrong, but in the scene where Vik and Sierra "get it on," didn't it look as if Sierra had scars underneath her breast(s), or were they surgical markings for a planned procedure?

I don't understand.  Was there a little arc that went above me?

8 hours ago, scrb said:

There are lots of Basques in Idaho.  And people in every state are free to name their children whatever they want to.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Rock knocker said:

I don't understand.  Was there a little arc that went above me?

It was just a speculative observation on my part. Didn't mean to imply anything. Sorry for confusing you.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, preeya said:

It was just a speculative observation on my part. Didn't mean to imply anything. Sorry for confusing you.

I saw the mark(s), too. And I also thought it looked like a plastic surgeon had drawn on her. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, mochamajesty said:

Well now we know why Vik is with Helen.

I may be in the minority, but I think Alison is pretty - or at least she isn't u gky. She has that helpless quality that some men cannot resist. 

i came here to post the same thing about vik. what the hell? he is living with helen, for how long? leaves her nothing in his will. and the best part, is his trying to knock her up so his parents will have a grandchild. but still, leave her no money. it all goes to his parents. i'm not saying it should all go to her , but leaving her nothing and his parents a million in life insurance plus his bank accounts was beyond shitty and disgusting. i hate his parents. don't like him all that much too. don't really like anyone on this show....

except.....amy irving as a guest character. first of all, my god, she is beautiful .  i think she looks better as a mature woman than when she was young. i would be ecstatic to look like her at that age. she played the part wonderfully. even it was quite the cliche on the writers part. the entire california thing was. but then, most of this show is. 

allison is pretty in a way i suppose, and i hate to be petty but it's hard not to just keep staring at her lips. i'm sure she must have gotten a lot of grief about them as a child. and now. 

hate helen. sour puss. don't blame her for not wanting a child. stand up for yourself. what a horrible selfish man you are with. why do women do this? 

• Love 7