Type keyword(s) to search

Gimme That Old Time Religion

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Evangelical pastor in Tampa arrested for violating stay at home rules and holding church services.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/us/florida-pastor-arrested-river-church/index.html

His justification?  The state has no right to call churchgoing 'non-essential' (translation: he wants that collection plate passed) and it is a violation of his constitutional right to freedom of religion and speech.  He claims he will only close the doors of the church when the rapture starts.  Of course, that's easily shot down by the compelling interest of the state in public safety.  

Another nitwit pastor in Louisiana who encouraged the congregation to crowd together and laid his hands on a bunch of folks. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/louisiana-church-defies-covid-19-order-holds-sunday-services/ar-BB11SYNG?ocid=spartandhp

This annoying pastor in Central, LA is about 10 minutes from my house. It really doesn’t surprise me considering all the shit that’s gone on in Central over the years. He’s been on the news several times over the last few weeks because the neighbors of the church have been complaining about the crowds, traffic and utter disregard for their safety and well-being. Hopefully the DA will shut him down .  I’ll follow up with ant developments.

ETA: As of this morning we have 4,025 cases in LA and 185 deaths since March 9th. Of those, 188 cases and 13 deaths have bern reported here in East Baton Rouge parish where Central is located. This guy is a jerk!

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Evangelical pastor in Tampa arrested for violating stay at home rules and holding church services.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/us/florida-pastor-arrested-river-church/index.html

His justification?  The state has no right to call churchgoing 'non-essential' (translation: he wants that collection plate passed) and it is a violation of his constitutional right to freedom of religion and speech.  He claims he will only close the doors of the church when the rapture starts.  Of course, that's easily shot down by the compelling interest of the state in public safety.  

Another nitwit pastor in Louisiana who encouraged the congregation to crowd together and laid his hands on a bunch of folks. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/louisiana-church-defies-covid-19-order-holds-sunday-services/ar-BB11SYNG?ocid=spartandhp

“I’ve worked too hard to become a god to my congregation of low-income lumpenproletariat. The ultimate sin for them is to think they can do without me. If they manage a week without me and without feeling huge guilt, I’ll lose my control over them. All eyes on me.”

Edited by kokapetl
  • LOL 5
  • Love 6
On 3/30/2020 at 3:15 PM, Nysha said:

I wonder if God thinks Franklin Graham is as much of a narcissistic blowhard as I do?

I had no idea what you were talking about until I saw his commercial last night during the news.  Saw it again this morning during the Today Show.  How much is this fucking costing him to run national ads?  There are people around this country who cannot pay their rent today, and I see this jackass on TV imploring me to say the sinner's prayer.  Fuck him.

• Love 15

went to my pharmacy today and the cashier guy says "this is god's judgement on the unbelievers"

I responded "yeah thee are a stiffnecked people"  fail to see the signs and then mentioned the story of Balaam's ass.

that guy shut up so fast

i am done being polite with that crap

• LOL 3
  • Love 17
4 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

went to my pharmacy today and the cashier guy says "this is god's judgement on the unbelievers"

I responded "yeah thee are a stiffnecked people"  fail to see the signs and then mentioned the story of Balaam's ass.

that guy shut up so fast

i am done being polite with that crap

I would also report him to management. 

• Love 15
Just now, DangerousMinds said:

I would also report him to management. 

have reported him 2x already and called him on his nonsense.

3 weeks ago he and a maga hat wearer were laughing over "those fanatics looking for hand sanitizer" 

2 weeks ago the hand sanitizer was moved to where only he could use it and I asked why. he replied it was only for essential people and not "the masses"

1 minute ago, crazy8s said:

3 weeks ago he and a maga hat wearer were laughing over "those fanatics looking for hand sanitizer" 

2 weeks ago the hand sanitizer was moved to where only he could use it and I asked why. he replied it was only for essential people and not "the masses"

😡😡😡

• Love 4
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

Wow. That’s so messed up. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Turns out Hobby Lobby has been open right here in Ohio!  They were claiming they were an essential business because they sold educational supplies which, I presume, meant those books on how to knit and such.  Anyway, someone asked our fabulous governor about  it at his daily press conference . His response? ‘When I said EVERYONE has to close, I meant it’.  The state immediately went shut ‘em down with a cease & desist order.  According to our local news, HL remains open in at least 3 other states the have closed non-essential businesses. 

According to CBS News, HL initially closed in states where it’s the law and then stealthily re-opened a few days later after re-evaluating the situation.  They said they’re open in Wisconsin, Texas and Colorado.  My news also mentioned Indiana.  Because Jesus, ya know.

BTW, JoAnn Fabrics has been allowed to remai open for pick up orders only. Why?  Because they are giving away FREE kits to make masks and gowns to their customers.  Now, couldn’t HL have done something similar?  Apparently not, actual charity and support in a crisis is not what their god wants.

Also, when I praise Ohio’s governor, Mike DeWine for his handling of this crisis which has been stellar, I don’t forget he also supports Ohio’s idiotic ‘heartbeat’ law.  People are complicated, I guess.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
53 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Turns out Hobby Lobby has been open right here in Ohio!  They were claiming they were an essential business because they sold educational supplies which, I presume, meant those books on how to knit and such.  Anyway, someone asked our fabulous governor about  it at his daily press conference . His response? ‘When I said EVERYONE has to close, I meant it’.  The state immediately went shut ‘em down with a cease & desist order.  According to our local news, HL remains open in at least 3 other states the have closed non-essential businesses. 

According to CBS News, HL initially closed in states where it’s the law and then stealthily re-opened a few days later after re-evaluating the situation.  They said they’re open in Wisconsin, Texas and Colorado.  My news also mentioned Indiana.  Because Jesus, ya know.

BTW, JoAnn Fabrics has been allowed to remai open for pick up orders only. Why?  Because they are giving away FREE kits to make masks and gowns to their customers.  Now, couldn’t HL have done something similar?  Apparently not, actual charity and support in a crisis is not what their god wants.

Also, when I praise Ohio’s governor, Mike DeWine for his handling of this crisis which has been stellar, I don’t forget he also supports Ohio’s idiotic ‘heartbeat’ law.  People are complicated, I guess.

Hobby Lobby, Jo Anne's and Michael's were open in WI until yesterday.  All three sell fabric and other sewing supplies.  If Wal Mart and Target can still sell everything in their stores, not just groceries, there is an obvious business question to asked.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
Just now, fonfereksglen said:

Hobby Lobby, Jo Anne's and Michael's were open in WI until yesterday.  All three sell fabric and other sewing supplies.  If Wal Mart and Target can still sell everything in their stores, not just groceries, there is an obvious business question to asked.

In my area Walmart has to cordon off areas of non-essential products.

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
(edited)

Also were reports yesterday that HL was opening up again in some places where they'd closed earlier because of state or local orders.......After all, what will the Caldwells and JillR do if they don't have their favorite businesses to shop at (to prepare for their next bible conferences!) while the rest of us delude ourselves about the nature of infectious disease? 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hobby-lobby-open-essential-business-stay-at-home-orders/

"The company closed its roughly dozen stores in the Dallas area for five days last week in complying with a mandate for all nonessential workers to shelter-in-place to curb the spread of the virus, said Andrea Freidberg, who oversees jewelry and wearables as a department manager at a Hobby Lobby in Garland, Texas. "They said we would be closed for two weeks and then evaluate," Freidberg told CBS MoneyWatch. 

"But the policy review came more quickly, with Freidberg saying she got a call Saturday from her store manager telling her they were reopening on Monday. "

Edited by Churchhoney

Hobby Lobby is one of five businesses that have been issued citations by Denver authorities for violating the statewide stay-at-home order. The Colorado Attorney General's office has told the chain to shut down statewide. Story here: https://www.denverpost.com/2020/04/01/colorado-stay-at-home-violations-coronavirus/

Another story: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/coronavirus/denver-issues-5-citations-for-violating-public-health-order-surrounding-covid-19-including-1-business-twice

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

The Jo Anne near me is closed in that customers cannot enter the store.  But, you can go online and place an order and arrange a time to come for curbside pick up of your stuff.  

The Hobby Lobbies that were open in Ohio allowed people to come in and browse and shop just like always, so there is a huge difference in how the two stores were handling their customers which is probably also why Jo Anne's was allowed to continue to function.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Right?  All the clothing shops are closed and deemed non-essential, but I can go shop clothes at Target, Walmart and Fred Meyer?  Same with buying a TV at these stores.  I would be mad if I were a small business owner and had to close up but the big stores get all the business.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, louannems said:

Right?  All the clothing shops are closed and deemed non-essential, but I can go shop clothes at Target, Walmart and Fred Meyer?  Same with buying a TV at these stores.  I would be mad if I were a small business owner and had to close up but the big stores get all the business.

I haven't seen it here yet but I've seen photos that Walmarts, Targets, etc., in some locations had their "nonessential" sections closed off and weren't allowing people to shop for that stuff. Just selling the groceries, toiletries, medicine, etc.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Get excited, super-churchy Floridians. DeSantis is overriding all local regs -- quite a few of which apparently include religious services among stuff you can't do in crowds.....

Get on the bus and head there, JillR. You can hit every town in the state! Florida: The Sunshine State for Grifting Opportunities

orlandosentinel.com

"DeSantis quietly signs second order overruling all local coronavirus orders,..."

"“This Order shall supersede any conflicting official action or order issued by local officials in response to COVID-19,” reads Order 20-92, which was issued late Wednesday to “provide clarity” to DeSantis’ initial stay-at-home order.

"The second order deleted language in the original that said only less-restrictive local orders would be overruled. Now all local orders, even more-restrictive ones, are superseded by the state mandate."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/os-ne-coronavirus-desantis-second-order-supersedes-local-20200402-ffob5ojpifhlno4cdy6bd3offq-story.html

Yes, the functioning adults, the children and adults with cognitive issues are victims of  the very people charged with keeping them safe. That is what frustrates me so much about these people. If they were only endangering themselves it wouldn't be an issue.

• Love 8

An evangelical pastor, from VA, died Saturday and his mom is infected with corona. Maybe this will be a wake-up call for some of the ones thinking God will protect them.

Or, maybe not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

from Washington Post

Falwell Focuses on Critics as Coronavirus Cases Near His University Grow

Jerry Falwell Jr. has tried to have journalists arrested as he maintains he has been unfairly maligned. But the coronavirus keeps spreading around Liberty University.

WASHINGTON — Jerry Falwell Jr.’s angry counteroffensive against critics of his decision to invite Liberty University students back to its Lynchburg, Va., campus after spring break has played out in the media, the courts, even with the campus police.

But his campaign has been undermined by the spread of a virus he cannot control.

Since March 29, when the first case was diagnosed in a Liberty student living off-campus, confirmed coronavirus cases in the Central Virginia health district, which surrounds Lynchburg and Liberty, have grown from seven to 78. One person has died. On Tuesday, a Lynchburg city police officer tested positive, forcing another officer into quarantine and setting off a furious effort to trace all of the infected officer’s contacts.

It is not known whether any of those cases are linked to returning Liberty students, but the university community is exposed as well. Liberty said on Wednesday night that two employees had tested positive for the coronavirus, two more had results pending, and seven were quarantined at home. Beyond the one acknowledged infection in a student, who the university said was not enrolled in classes, test results are due Friday on another student. Two other students have been relocated and quarantined in an annex with “no symptoms, no test.”

A worship leader at Thomas Road Baptist Church, which is adjacent to and affiliated with Liberty’s campus, is also sick with Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

“It’s been quite a two weeks,” the leader, Charles Billingsley, said in an emotional message on Facebook.

Amid those struggles, a Liberty student on Monday filed a class-action lawsuit in a federal court in Virginia, saying that Liberty and Mr. Falwell had “placed students at severe physical risk and refused to refund thousands of dollars in fees owed to them for the Spring 2020 semester,” according to a statement from the law firm filing the suit.

The furor in Lynchburg centers on Mr. Falwell’s decision to open the campus to all students and staff at a time when most American universities were closing for fear of spreading the disease. For weeks before that decision, Mr. Falwell had derided other universities’ coronavirus responses as overreactions driven by a desire to harm President Trump.

• Useful 5
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

from Washington Post

Falwell Focuses on Critics as Coronavirus Cases Near His University Grow

Jerry Falwell Jr. has tried to have journalists arrested as he maintains he has been unfairly maligned. But the coronavirus keeps spreading around Liberty University.

WASHINGTON — Jerry Falwell Jr.’s angry counteroffensive against critics of his decision to invite Liberty University students back to its Lynchburg, Va., campus after spring break has played out in the media, the courts, even with the campus police.

But his campaign has been undermined by the spread of a virus he cannot control.

Since March 29, when the first case was diagnosed in a Liberty student living off-campus, confirmed coronavirus cases in the Central Virginia health district, which surrounds Lynchburg and Liberty, have grown from seven to 78. One person has died. On Tuesday, a Lynchburg city police officer tested positive, forcing another officer into quarantine and setting off a furious effort to trace all of the infected officer’s contacts.

It is not known whether any of those cases are linked to returning Liberty students, but the university community is exposed as well. Liberty said on Wednesday night that two employees had tested positive for the coronavirus, two more had results pending, and seven were quarantined at home. Beyond the one acknowledged infection in a student, who the university said was not enrolled in classes, test results are due Friday on another student. Two other students have been relocated and quarantined in an annex with “no symptoms, no test.”

A worship leader at Thomas Road Baptist Church, which is adjacent to and affiliated with Liberty’s campus, is also sick with Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

“It’s been quite a two weeks,” the leader, Charles Billingsley, said in an emotional message on Facebook.

Amid those struggles, a Liberty student on Monday filed a class-action lawsuit in a federal court in Virginia, saying that Liberty and Mr. Falwell had “placed students at severe physical risk and refused to refund thousands of dollars in fees owed to them for the Spring 2020 semester,” according to a statement from the law firm filing the suit.

The furor in Lynchburg centers on Mr. Falwell’s decision to open the campus to all students and staff at a time when most American universities were closing for fear of spreading the disease. For weeks before that decision, Mr. Falwell had derided other universities’ coronavirus responses as overreactions driven by a desire to harm President Trump.

Falwell won't be moved by any charges of being an immoral creep, but having to refund students' money (with damages) could hurt him in the pocketbook. That he understands. 

• Love 19

Yeah, it's all about the money with him, another second generation grifter for god.

The students at my college who left for Spring Break were asked to stay home, all but 14 did and those were strictly quarantined for 2 weeks. It cost my college about $220,000 to refund student's prorated dorm fees. We currently have about 100 students still in the dorms and if they get caught breaking the social distancing rules they'll get evicted.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

This could go into many threads. The Caldwells, allegedly being a**holes, allegedly held a church service for congregants and not a livestream. Among other congregants, rumored to be there included Joe Duggar and family, Josh Duggar and family, and Jim Bob Duggar and family. It's not clear if any other family members attended (meaning Si and family, Austin and family, etc.).  John David and Abbie usually attend a different church as do Jill and Derick. 

This could be internet rumor, but it sounds likely. I hope no harm comes to any minor children. Other than that, I have little sympathy for those not social distancing. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 7

"Church of the Virus Martyrs" is the funniest, unfunny thing I've heard all day. 

These people need a refresher sermon on Matthew 4:7 & Luke 4:12. Jesus said specifically not to do unsafe things to test whether or not god would protect his people.

• Love 20