Type keyword(s) to search

Gimme That Old Time Religion

• Start Topic

(edited)
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Just a reminder about who Jeremy sucks up to. The Transformed Wife is also bitter and full of hate.

It still astonishes me that people try to hand wave away Jeremy's nose up MacArthur's ass as just a matter of convenience. That still makes Jeremy a spineless piece of shit. But I don't buy that he's not in agreement. I think he pretty clearly is on board. Otherwise, he wouldn't be there. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 16
(edited)
1 hour ago, Zella said:

It still astonishes me that people try to hand wave away Jeremy's nose up MacArthur's ass as just a matter of convenience. That still makes Jeremy a spineless piece of shit. But I don't buy that he's not in agreement. I think he pretty clearly is on board. Otherwise, he wouldn't be there. 

This. ^^^

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Zella said:

I'm one of those people. I'm on the Jeremy is spineless team. I really don't believe when push came to shove Jeremy would uphold those beliefs independently. 

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm one of those people. I'm on the Jeremy is spineless team. I really don't believe when push came to shove Jeremy would uphold those beliefs independently. 

He pretty much has to, or he'd get the boot out of the Master's Seminary. Now, what he does after he "graduates" is anyone's best guess.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

It is unfathomable to me that he would continue to lose influencing gigs over his refusal to clear the air on those issues when he clearly wants to be an influencer. Unless he actually thinks it, and that's why he keeps quiet. He's so thirsty for attention and fame, I don't think he'd turn down the chance to be the progressive Duggar if he actually didn't go along with MacArthur. There are countless other seminaries with more liberal stances on social issues that he could have attended, especially in L.A., and if he has any intention of being a pastor after he graduates, he's signaling to more liberal churches that he's not at all compatible with their beliefs by affiliating with MacArthur. It just makes no sense to me that it doesn't reflect how he actually thinks.

I do agree with you about him being spineless, though. I think he's too spineless to truly own his hateful beliefs. And that is why he is quiet. 

• Love 13

It's possible we'll see more of Jeremy's beliefs when he enters his next"season" of life. Right now, I'm thinking MacArthur is doing more for Jeremy financially than any influencing gig could. So yes, I think he'd stay quiet while he's hanging onto MacArthur's pocket square.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

It's possible we'll see more of Jeremy's beliefs when he enters his next"season" of life. Right now, I'm thinking MacArthur is doing more for Jeremy financially than any influencing gig could. So yes, I think he'd stay quiet while he's hanging onto MacArthur's pocket square.

It does remain to be seen, but I don't think he's going to have any sort of a coming out and breaking away, even once he leaves seminary. 

• Love 4

I guess it remains to be seen just how far he can skate by hanging on MacArthur's coattails. If MacArthur drops him once he graduates, things might change. Not drastically, but some. He'd need to find a new grift, and suck up to that person, as has been his MO so far.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

He pretty much has to, or he'd get the boot out of the Master's Seminary. Now, what he does after he "graduates" is anyone's best guess.

Whomever offers him influencer gigs and free housing next.*

*Jim Bob Duggar need not offer

• Love 5
1 minute ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Whomever offers him influencer gigs and free housing next.*

*Jim Bob Duggar need not offer

I covered that in the post above yours. 😁

Just speculating here...

I think Jeremy wants the best of both worlds. He most likely has the same beliefs as that MacArthur guy but he wants the fame & fortune of the secular world. He knows that the big money is in the secular world, so he tries to downplay his beliefs to attract bigger companies.

• Love 15
23 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Just speculating here...

I think Jeremy wants the best of both worlds. He most likely has the same beliefs as that MacArthur guy but he wants the fame & fortune of the secular world. He knows that the big money is in the secular world, so he tries to downplay his beliefs to attract bigger companies.

Agreed! I think he still lives in some weird form of denial that he can have his proverbial cake and eat it too by cozying up to MacArthur and his ilk but still be a mainstream influencer. It just doesn't work that way. 

• Love 9

He doesn't seem be smart enough to realize that if he quit going after a secular influencer gig, he could probably make it as a Millennial Christian influencer. Yes, it would be a smaller audience & less money in the beginning, but it could grow into his own mega-church down the road. But he doesn't want to go slow and steady to reach his goal, he wants it now. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Just a reminder about who Jeremy sucks up to. The Transformed Wife is also bitter and full of hate.

You keep telling yourself that idiot. Its not like women were part of the early days of the Church. Oh, wait they were. God didn't seem to have a problem with Deborah becoming a general and defeating the enemy (a man!) in battle and become a Judge. If he's okay with one becoming a Judge. I'm sure God's fine with women preaching. Judith who decapitated the enemy's general when none of them men were able to. Jael who drove spike through another general's head? I guess they should have stayed home and not won by being badass. They lose and everyone dies. God didn't seem to mind those things happened. I guess Michel should have not helped David escape and let him get killed? Where would that have put the story of David? Well, he tried to escape the palace but was caught and killed. The End. Not that I expect him to take any notice of how many times women in the Bible have saved the day or the mens' ass. Or bother himself with details like the truth. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

You keep telling yourself that idiot. Its not like women were part of the early days of the Church. Oh, wait they were. God didn't seem to have a problem with Deborah becoming a general and defeating the enemy (a man!) in battle and become a Judge. If he's okay with one becoming a Judge. I'm sure God's fine with women preaching. Judith who decapitated the enemy's general when none of them men were able to. Jael who drove spike through another general's head? I guess they should have stayed home and not won by being badass. They lose and everyone dies. God didn't seem to mind those things happened. I guess Michel should have not helped David escape and let him get killed? Where would that have put the story of David? Well, he tried to escape the palace but was caught and killed. The End. Not that I expect him to take any notice of how many times women in the Bible have saved the day or the mens' ass. Or bother himself with details like the truth. 

Word! I'm so happy you mentioned Judith! Caravaggio's painting of her is actually where my profile pic is from. 😄 

Even in the early Christian Church, women were clearly very active in a way that I don't think he is very interested in acknowledging.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

Word! I'm so happy you mentioned Judith! Caravaggio's painting of her is actually where my profile pic is from. 😄 

Even in the early Christian Church, women were clearly very active in a way that I don't think he is very interested in acknowledging.

She's one of my favorites. She managed to talk her way through the enemy lines to get to the General by claiming to have information. Then she decapitated him. That's just so awesome She's badass. Deborah and Jael are pretty cool too.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

He only cares about what the misogynist, Paul, wrote. He was only part of the history.

I figured that was the case. But sometimes its hard to resist pointing out how stupid their remarks are especially when it comes to the "experts" on the Bible say something about the Bible that isn't correct. Especially when it comes to things that should be common knowledge. Like when Gil and Kelly tell the story about Michel and somehow despite being Bible readers, and the daughter of a preacher didn't know anything about her when she's impossible to miss playing a big part in David's story. You know saving his life. Although to be honest I really doubt that any of these Fundies have ever read the Bible. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Well, after Jeremy of course.

The list of Jeremy's favorites probably goes

1. Jeremy

2. Jeremy

3. Jeremy's pocket squares

4. Jeremy's Instagram

5. Paul

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Accurate.

And after that, the top ten would probably be rounded off with some mention of Felicity and Jinger, with a few more mentions of himself (and possibly, but not necessarily, God) for good measure.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • LOL 6
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

And the fact that at a time when women were second class citizens Jesus made them the lead person in most of his stories.

• Love 9
(edited)

Heck, if women stayed silent, no one would have even known that Jesus rose from the dead. Christianity would never have gone beyond "Hey,there was this dude and he said some stuff".

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 14
(edited)
22 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

And the fact that at a time when women were second class citizens Jesus made them the lead person in most of his stories.

Women were also the ones kneeling at his cross when He died while most of the men ran and hid.  They were also the first to discover His resurrection.

While I do think Jeremy does believe the misogyny MacArthur preaches,  I think he’s not the sort to have courage of his convictions.  For now, he’s reaped a lot of rewards from those beliefs.  When times get tough, he’ll fold like a cheap lawn chair and adopt any beliefs that might keep him in pocket squares.  He’s got no spine, IMO.  He surely wouldn’t accept a downgrade of his lifestyle if his beliefs lead to that.  While he has lost some influencer gigs, he’s still got free housing in LA and all the perks of being MacArthur’s toady; the balance still tops toward hateful.  But, if that changes, so will Jeremy. In a heartbeat.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 22

That Lori Alexander is absolutely horrible.  She is mean to everyone, especially her own kids when they were little.  She loves to tell how she would order her 18 month old to pick up her toys, which is really too vague an order for a baby!  You get down on the floor and help them, singing the This is the Way We Pick up our Toys song.

Anyway, when the baby was unable to obey instantly, Lori would take her to her room, remove her pants, and beat her with a leather strap.  Lori has told this many times, and everytime I hate her for it.

She also hates all working mothers, even though she herself lived a privledged life with a dentist husband, a maid and a nanny.

3 minutes ago, louannems said:

That Lori Alexander is absolutely horrible.  She is mean to everyone, especially her own kids when they were little.  She loves to tell how she would order her 18 month old to pick up her toys, which is really too vague an order for a baby!  You get down on the floor and help them, singing the This is the Way We Pick up our Toys song.

Anyway, when the baby was unable to obey instantly, Lori would take her to her room, remove her pants, and beat her with a leather strap.  Lori has told this many times, and everytime I hate her for it.

She also hates all working mothers, even though she herself lived a privledged life with a dentist husband, a maid and a nanny.

Lori is disgusting. I hate read her just to remind myself about those so-called "Christians."

• Love 5

I don't think a lot of these fundies ARE reading the bible.  Like, you shouldn't fear death in this pandemic because there is heaven waiting for you. Jesus isn't going to make you immune because you can recite specific verses that you learned in home school instead of natural history and natural selection.  You will still suffer unnecessarily and maybe get others killed before then. 

• Love 5

I understand not fearing death because it leads to heaven, but most of these fundies don't actual seem to think Covid-19 is that big of a deal. The US has almost 90,000 deaths from it, but they're still clinging to it being a conspiracy by the Fake News and whoever else they hate today.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, ouinason said:

I don't think a lot of these fundies ARE reading the bible.  Like, you shouldn't fear death in this pandemic because there is heaven waiting for you. Jesus isn't going to make you immune because you can recite specific verses that you learned in home school instead of natural history and natural selection.  You will still suffer unnecessarily and maybe get others killed before then. 

I don't think they really do either given how much about it they get wrong or don't seem to know about the people, events or even things they quote. You wouldn't expect that from people who supposedly read the Bible every freaking day. 

10 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I understand not fearing death because it leads to heaven, but most of these fundies don't actual seem to think Covid-19 is that big of a deal. The US has almost 90,000 deaths from it, but they're still clinging to it being a conspiracy by the Fake News and whoever else they hate today.

Yeah, this is more the case. They think its no big deal, some kind of hoax or just don't care.

• Love 3

And two other stories about religious services spreading covid, one in Arkansas and two in California.

"35 of the 92 people (38%) who attended services at a rural Arkansas church March 6–11 tested positive for the coronavirus, ultimately killing three, according to a case study released Tuesday by the CDC".

And two churches in northern California have covid cases from Mother's Day services. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

And two churches in northern California have covid cases from Mother's Day services. 

I wonder if one of these is the church I drove by on Mother's day.  It looked packed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Was one in Tulare county by any chance?  They have a sudden spike in cases.

• Useful 2
17 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Was one in Tulare county by any chance?  They have a sudden spike in cases.

Butte County and Lake County, if I'm remembering correctly, buy I'm not sure.

• Love 2

I remember that Arkansas church being in the local news. In fairness to them, they were operating before they were any confirmed cases in the state, but it ended up being one of the first big sizeable outbreaks here. 😞

• Useful 3

It's like the days of Little House. We clearly do not have Zoom to broadcast sermons or Venmo to tithe. No siree. It's church or Pa Ingalls preaching from the Bible because the nearest church is too far.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I keep wondering how long it's going to take for the more independent churches to figure it out.  Church is a horrible germ spreader.  Sometimes having a centralized authority is a good thing.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I keep wondering how long it's going to take for the more independent churches to figure it out.  Church is a horrible germ spreader.  Sometimes having a centralized authority is a good thing.

I have a hard time believing a lot of these independent churches would gather under one centralized umbrella. There would simply be too much in-fighting over who is the most holy and righteous.

• Love 5

Oh, for sure they wouldn't.  They can't even figure out that they are sickening and killing their congregations.  It has to happen to each one of them for them to figure it out.  

• Love 4

I imagine there is a lot of competition as well. If Pastor Dave's church is open but your regular church is closed, but you have this burning itch to go to church, you're going to go to his service. You might stop going to your regular church once everything blows over. 

I'm doubtful there are any sort of regulations now that Jesus will protect but when the cafe by my apartment had a COVID-19 exposure, they were closed for two weeks for deep cleaning and all the regular staff had to go into quarantine.

I guess better to lose them to the 'rona than the neighbouring church. Or even the other bad religions, like Catholicism! 

• Love 6