Type keyword(s) to search

Gimme That Old Time Religion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Notabug said:

Interesting article from the WaPo about fundies who were homeschooled deciding to send their kids to regular public schools.  Includes a photo of the Duggars as an example of homeschooled fundies as well as info about Gothard, the Pearls and a whole host of fundie favorites.

https://apple.news/A49phvdZsRVCb5zMxEL59cA

It is such an interesting article. Their daughter in school was talking about Punxsutawney Phil and the dad knew about groundhogs, but not Phil. From the article: "These were the gaps Aaron and Christina had become accustomed to finding as they learned about a world whose boundaries extended far beyond the one in which they had been raised. There were so many things they had not learned, and perhaps would never learn."

How sad to think of how much you missed that you might not be able to catch up. Thank goodness they made the change for their children.

• Like 17
1 hour ago, realityfan26 said:

It is such an interesting article. Their daughter in school was talking about Punxsutawney Phil and the dad knew about groundhogs, but not Phil. From the article: "These were the gaps Aaron and Christina had become accustomed to finding as they learned about a world whose boundaries extended far beyond the one in which they had been raised. There were so many things they had not learned, and perhaps would never learn."

How sad to think of how much you missed that you might not be able to catch up. Thank goodness they made the change for their children.

Ooh, that sounds interesting. I love hearing about people who left it all behind. I'll read it when I get home later. 

• Like 5

I read the article and was livid.  Not at the family.   They realized their kids needed more than home schooling could give them, so they thought about their KIDS needs instead of control, and got what their kids' needed.  It's nice they both realized that the utter brutality of their upbringing was not really a good way to raise kids.

The Pearls get a mention, including blanket training.   But the Pearls deny the abusive parts.   Really you flat out said the kid should look at you in fear.   No your kids should NOT fear looking at you wondering what they are going to get beaten for next.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 6
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I read the article and was livid.  Not at the family.   They realized their kids needed more than home schooling could give them, so they thought about their KIDS needs instead of control, and got what their kids' needed.  It's nice they both realized that the utter brutality of their upbringing was not really a good way to raise kids.

The Pearls get a mention, including blanket training.   But the Pearls deny the abusive parts.   Really you flat out said the kid should look at you in fear.   No your kids should NOT fear looking at you wondering what they are going to get beaten for next.

Exactly. Some of these fundies seem to fail to grasp that respect and fear are very different things.

I absolutely respect my parents and always have. My dad, in particular, is an easy-going guy, but the one thing he would not tolerate was disrespect.

At the same time, I was never, ever afraid of them. It would never even enter my mind that I could be hit, beaten, emotionally battered, etc. It makes me so sad for these kids.

• Like 16
  • Useful 1

NPR

The Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) just voted to uphold the expulsion of churches with female pastors.

After upholding the expulsions, messengers in New Orleans voted by a two-thirds majority to amend their constitution to state that the Southern Baptist Convention "Affirms, appoints, or employs only men as any kind of pastor or elder."

Under his eye.🙄

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 13
  • Useful 1
On 5/31/2023 at 9:34 AM, AgathaC said:

Exactly. Some of these fundies seem to fail to grasp that respect and fear are very different things.

I absolutely respect my parents and always have. My dad, in particular, is an easy-going guy, but the one thing he would not tolerate was disrespect.

At the same time, I was never, ever afraid of them. It would never even enter my mind that I could be hit, beaten, emotionally battered, etc. It makes me so sad for these kids.

This made me think of my mother and her siblings talking about their father, my wonderful Grandpa. They said that he never raised a hand or his voice to them, but if he felt disappointed in their behavior he would just look at them in a way that showed it, and it would devastate them to try and do better.  Which to me is the epitome of the respect they had for him.  Not fear.

• Like 12
  • Love 3