Type keyword(s) to search

Gimme That Old Time Religion

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Not making a plug for organized religion of any variety, but maybe this is more concentrated in Christianity?  I'm learning about my faith of Judaism and the interesting part is that there are always "conflicts" and "contradictions" and that is okay and expected.  

I think a huge problem with Christianity is that Christians and Christian groups have utterly flung aside that very wise idea that Judaism has about arguments! In Christianity, most everybody with an opinion has seemed bound and determined to squelch every other opinion permanently........

I've always wondered why that was true when the religion from which Christianity is derived has such a different tradition. But I think it may be because in a lot of historical situations somebody has seen Christianity as part of a road to power, so arguments over theology often became struggles for temporal power and its benefits, not just arguments over concepts and principles.

Since it's entirely a religion that's based on winning converts, it's natural to look at Christianity that way. Whereas, by contrast, Judaism has basically been a religion you're born to, so arguments over what's right and wrong have a different meaning. Disagreements can be about deciding what's the right and what's the wrong interpretation and not very much about bringing greater numbers of people onto your "side." 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Agree. I'm Catholic and although I don't do any of the stuff you're supposed to do, I still have some sort of faith or belief in God. But the older I get, the less I care about all the trappings. There's so much shit wrapped up in Religion. I prefer to try and be as good a person as I can be, regardless of belief. If that's not good enough for God, well........

I am in your same situation, and sometimes when I go to a Catholic wedding or funeral I remember the rituals and the smell of the incense, and it feels like home, but then I think about the judgment etc., and my instinct tells me just to keep trying to be a good person, and it’ll be ok.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

I think a huge problem with Christianity is that Christians and Christian groups have utterly flung aside that very wise idea that Judaism has about arguments! In Christianity, most everybody with an opinion has seemed bound and determined to squelch every other opinion permanently........

I've always wondered why that was true when the religion from which Christianity is derived has such a different tradition. But I think it may be because in a lot of historical situations somebody has seen Christianity as part of a road to power, so arguments over theology often became struggles for temporal power and its benefits, not just arguments over concepts and principles.

Since it's entirely a religion that's based on winning converts, it's natural to look at Christianity that way. Whereas, by contrast, Judaism has basically been a religion you're born to, so arguments over what's right and wrong have a different meaning. Disagreements can be about deciding what's the right and what's the wrong interpretation and not very much about bringing greater numbers of people onto your "side." 

I am new to actually reading more about Judaism even though I am born and bred.  Today I read something by some ancient Rabbi that says we really don't need religion to get to God. The rituals may help but not necessary. Of course then there is the discussion!  I find all that fascinating in a non religious way if you get what I am saying.  I am not trying to convince anyone - it just became interesting to me in a historical way. 

we watched a documentary recently about early Christianity. Mr lookeyloo was raised very Catholic (turns out there is a family mystery and he had his DNA done and is 50% genetically Jewish) including Catholic Jesuit education and he found it compelling. He is an agnostic and anti any organized religion although he likes Jewish traditions. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, zenme said:

I am in your same situation, and sometimes when I go to a Catholic wedding or funeral I remember the rituals and the smell of the incense, and it feels like home, but then I think about the judgment etc., and my instinct tells me just to keep trying to be a good person, and it’ll be ok.

I am also in the same Catholic “am I or am I not?” situation. Except all the responses that I remembered from back then are different now. 

• Useful 1
On 11/13/2021 at 11:48 AM, lookeyloo said:

Not making a plug for organized religion of any variety, but maybe this is more concentrated in Christianity?  I'm learning about my faith of Judaism and the interesting part is that there are always "conflicts" and "contradictions" and that is okay and expected.  

PBS Frontline has a very interesting two-part special on the first Christians that examines the early church’s active role in and separation from Judaism. Often history and religious texts present Christianity as a new religion that popped on the scene the day Christ died as opposed to a new faith growing within Judaism.  It was fascinating to learn how “Christianity” existed within, not apart from Judaism for quite some time. 

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

PBS Frontline has a very interesting two-part special on the first Christians that examines the early church’s active role in and separation from Judaism. Often history and religious texts present Christianity as a new religion that popped on the scene the day Christ died as opposed to a new faith growing within Judaism.  It was fascinating to learn how “Christianity” existed within, not apart from Judaism for quite som time. 

Yes. The documentary we watched maybe on Netflix was similar. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Hello all, just wanted to report that I have been listening to the Modesty Files podcast and getting so much more background and understanding about fundamentalism.  The Leaving Eden podcast as well.  I also read Educated a bit ago, and it was illuminating.  All of this is really helping me put more pieces together about my own upbringing, and has brought into perspective the real harm done to people by the type of child rearing and "education" promoted by the Duggars.

• Useful 5
  • Love 14

I know this has been discussed somewhat in different ways ...

I wonder if any of the Duggar kidults have had any moments realizing they never really understood some of the Bible passages they have committed to memory?

Like secular kids reciting the Pledge of Allegiance or anyone realizing they've been singing a song wrong for years. Most of us have epiphanies. But do the Duggars? And if they do, will they then change things up with their own kids?

I would love to hear, say, Mack, Spurge and Izzy explain who/what God is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Given how the vast majority of the Duggar kids have stayed well within their bubble, I kind of doubt that most of them have been exposed to anything that would question JB/Gothard/Meechelle/other quiver full preachers interpretations. For example, I only realized that Taylor Swift is not singing "Gotta love my Starbucks lovers" in Blank Page after I heard someone joke about mishearing that lyric. If I was surrounded by people who think pop music is a major stop on the road to perdition, how would I know I was 100% wrong? 

There are some exceptions to this. Jinger may have come up on some conflicts between MacArthurism and how she was raised, although the more I see of The Masters Seminary,  the more I think it's a posh label on the same rank contents. Plus, Jinger seems very dedicated to believing what ever JereMe does, so that probably helps any frictions. I can also picture a script like this playing out frequently;

Jer: Well, Babe, as my extensive studies of (introductory) Hebrew, Greek and Latin have shown... blah blah blah

Jinge: Here we go again... You're sooooo right Baaaaaabe! Aren't I blessed to have such a smarty headship to guide my fluffy girl brain? Hey! Did you hear there's a shoe sale right next to the new hipster hamburger place?

Jer: stops mid-word What, shoe sale? Grab the phone, Babe! Got get this for the "gram!

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Hilaria has eased up on IG posts - maybe since FF's conviction. I wonder if she'll start churning them out like she has done from previous family conferences.

The Duggars have been fairly quiet too, I’m including Joy, and Jessa in that.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

Could this be the thing that makes them stay away, or will they return to their shameless selves after sentencing? 

39 minutes ago, SMama said:

Are the Duggars there?

Yes. The kids, along with the Andreggs, will provide music for the Friday morning session before everyone up and leaves. 

Boobchelle's speaking days appear to be over. Replaced by David Waller and (of all people) Brandon Keilen.

• Useful 7
46 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Yes. The kids, along with the Andreggs, will provide music for the Friday morning session before everyone up and leaves. 

Boobchelle's speaking days appear to be over. Replaced by David Waller and (of all people) Brandon Keilen.

Gil Bates is listed also.

• Useful 3
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Joy has been MIA on YT for a while. I hope it’s for a good reason and not something sad.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Does this surprise anyone? Disgusting. These are the same hypocrites who project their own abuses onto the LGBTQ community.

Bombshell 400-page report finds Southern Baptist leaders routinely silenced sexual abuse survivors

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/investigations/article/Bombshell-400-page-report-finds-Southern-Baptist-17190816.php

No surprise at all unfortunately. Basically what we’ve come to expect. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Does this surprise anyone? Disgusting. These are the same hypocrites who project their own abuses onto the LGBTQ community.

Along with blasting the Catholic Church for the same abuses, along with complaints of hushing up domestic abuse cases and charges of racism.  Definitely a religion for cis-gender white males.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, kaleidoscope said:

Andy Stanley is calling for evangelicals to put people ahead of all else.  He is a top leader in Atlanta.  Jeremy, Ben, and Johnny Mac (and of course the Rods and the rest of the bunch) will not be happy.  He has a huge following and a new book coming out.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/04/us/andy-stanley-evangelicals-book-blake-cec/index.html

It's nice to read about a sensible Evangelical who is opposed to Christian Nationalism.

• Like 4
  • Love 7

Not sure if others follow Humans of New York on Facebook but the page is updating with a profile on a woman who left a Fundamentalist Baptist marriage.  So far, only the first two entries are up, but she was a pastor’s wife, mentions the umbrella pic (God, husband, then wife), and expectation that men were to lead in every way.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

On the flip side Baptist pastor Dillon Awes, from TX, is very angry June is Pride Month and thinks folks from the LGBTQ+ community should be sentenced to death.

This church has quite the sordid history.  Stedfast (yes Stedfast in its hatred of gays) Baptist Church has had scandals, lawsuits, and evictions in its recent history.  One pastor Donnie Romero (a good friend of Steven Anderson) was kicked out for visiting sex workers, gambling, marijuana use while preaching those killed at Pulse Night Club deserved it.  I feel a need for further research.   https://pridesource.com/article/creep-of-the-week-stedfast-baptist-church/

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

This is a great article about a straight professor from a conservative Christian college who was fired for officiating at a non-religious gay wedding. The article explores "loving the sinner, but not the sin" and social justice addressing the clash of modern times and Christian 'values'.

Anti LGBT+ Tweets and IG posts from the Duggars and/or Duggar adjacents can have a harmful impact on anyone, and more specifically those who are struggling with sexual identity and faith. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/calvin-university-professor-joe-kuilema-gay-marriage-lgbtq_n_62aca02de4b06169ca988191

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Useful 2
On 8/5/2022 at 9:01 PM, sagittarius sue said:

Jen at Fundie Fridays has uploaded a new video on Fundie Colleges.  It's quite informative and entertaining. 

She’s right on it.  I recall visiting Liberty and Bob Jones U when I was a kid. My dad was considering attending.  Some of our family friends did end up going.  I can’t believe they are still in business.  🤨

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

She’s right on it.  I recall visiting Liberty and Bob Jones U when I was a kid. My dad was considering attending.  Some of our family friends did end up going.  I can’t believe they are still in business.  🤨

I guess there's enough Fundies around, and many of them would only allow their chidren to attend that type of college, not one of those ebil leftist, heathen types.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

When I was in school for graphic design, in Georgia, somehow our class was asked to come up with a print program for an art exhibit at Bob Jones U.  No idea how that happened, I attended a state school in GA.  But anyway, I don't remember the exhibit specifically, but it was definitely old timey religious propaganda, weird paintings, and stained glass with bizarro messages.  The group I was in wanted to nope out of the project, but decided to go ahead with it.  We "won" and ours was printed for the exhibit.  We were encouraged to add that "accomplishment" to our artists resume.  I *did* nope out of that, for sure.  

• Love 8
On 8/5/2022 at 9:01 PM, sagittarius sue said:

Jen at Fundie Fridays has uploaded a new video on Fundie Colleges.  It's quite informative and entertaining. 

In a Larry King interview on this link, former Bob Jones U leader admits they have no scripture that supported their prohibition of biracial marriage, but it was just who they were.🙄 Later on, they let go of that prohibition, but it took a long time.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 8/10/2022 at 10:37 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

In a Larry King interview on this link, former Bob Jones U leader admits they have no scripture that supported their prohibition of biracial marriage, but it was just who they were.🙄 Later on, they let go of that prohibition, but it took a long time.  

Racist, homophobic assholes?

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 3

Just yesterday I became aware of Christian Nationalists on the march with these Re-Awaken America Tours where they're trying to form an "army of God."  PBS' Frontline is having an episode on them on October 18th.

Edited by sagittarius sue
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 3
41 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Just yesterday I became aware of Christian Nationalists on the march with these Re-Awaken America Tours where they're trying to form an "army of God."  PBS' Frontline is having an episode on them on October 18th.

Yeah, that's been a thing for a while. Unfortunately, it's gaining some traction as prominent figures have aligned themselves with it. Whatever it really is. 🙄

• Sad 6
1 hour ago, sagittarius sue said:

Reawaken Tour is coming  November 4th and 5th to JB's Freedom Encounter Theater in Branson

• Sad 6
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
5 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Any big names? I have no clue who this would attract. Jeremy? 😂

Probably everyone should check the site to find that info. Otherwise i think we would be crossing the No Politics line here.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
25 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Isn’t it some kind of theater?

It's a theater and a "museum."

I saw the My Pillow guy on the speaker's list. He's a nut job. Everything is a conspiracy in his little mind. Everybody is out to ruin him. 😂

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2