Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 5/21/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Maybe Meghan's view is  just backlash to the idea of having a royal family and a monarchy, instead of a democracy.  I've never been a fan of the "royalty"  idea, but this new generation of royals, especially Harry, seem to have a sense of humor about it.  Meghan and Harry seem very down to earth, so my dislike of the idea of royalty doesn't extend to them.  I'm sure Meghan McCain's husband dislikes the whole thing, so she had to sit out the wedding and talk to pictures instead. 

But really - Meghan just wanted an excuse to show off those oil paintings of the founding fathers.   And seriously, what a crazy fucking way to decorate your house!   I bet they were a wedding present from one of her husband's friends.  

• Love 14

How is Meghan trying to preach against identity politics when her entire political belief system is embedded in her being a gun owning conservative from a red state? I don't know anyone who puts themselves into a box and labels themselves as often as Meghan does. I fail to see how any voter isn't engaging in some kind of identity politics. It's not singular to gender but it's literally voting on principles that are relatable to you and your life. Is this not the basis for how the large majority of people vote? They vote based on issues that are important to them and contrary to Meghan's passive aggressive insult, women's issues are important. Women are the ones that build nations and if you don't protect their rights then you do a disservice to your future as a nation. Meghan may think she's all smart and fancy while she mimics the Republican ideologies like the good little monkey she is but it's entirely possible for someone to care about women's issues, national security, foreign policy, etc. No candidate is ever perfect that's why people who aren't beholden to a party and are willing to vote based on principle and policies recognize that the best candidate is the one that provides the most balanced and reasonable approach. 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, backformore said:

Maybe Meghan's view is  just backlash to the idea of having a royal family and a monarchy, instead of a democracy.  I've never been a fan of the "royalty"  idea, but this new generation of royals, especially Harry, seem to have a sense of humor about it.  Meghan and Harry seem very down to earth, so my dislike of the idea of royalty doesn't extend to them.  I'm sure Meghan McCain's husband dislikes the whole thing, so she had to sit out the wedding and talk to pictures instead. 

But really - Meghan just wanted an excuse to show off those oil paintings of the founding fathers.   And seriously, what a crazy fucking way to decorate your house!   I bet they were a wedding present from one of her husband's friends.  

This I could understand.  There is a lot that is wrong about having a monarchy starting with the exorbitant cost to taxpayers, and the perpetuation of a caste system.  So this is a principle that one could argue.  But the idea that Americans cannot get behind the Royal wedding because they had a revolution against the Brits?  Canada and the US might have a big problem then too, if that is how Elsa views the world.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Same.  Just enough of the stupidity.  The last straw was the Kelly Clarkson thing.  Some people evolve! 

It's not even that.  With regards to the Kelly Clarkson thing, Meghan needs to understand that owning a gun and supporting gun control are not mutually exclusive. Kelly didn't need to evolve into someone who doesn't like guns because she now supports gun control legislation.  She can possess an entire artillery and still want to make sure that there's stricter legislation to ensure firearms end up in the hands of responsible gun owners.

I wish Sunny had been given a chance to further explain what she meant about women's issues.  It sounded like she had some good points, but unfortunately they were at odds with what Meghan had to say, so we never actually got to hear Sunny complete her thoughts.  As for being against identity politics -- le sigh.  In the words of Ta-Naheisi Coates, "all politics is identity politics."

I'm also not sure why Meghan made it seem like people mistrusting intelligence agencies was something unique to today.  That's always been the case.  The only thing with today is that a lot of the mistrust is coming from the allegedly more conservative wing of our country's political spectrum.  

As for the N-word debate, I agree with everything Joy and Sunny said; and pretty much with what Whoopi said as well.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

I'm so confused.  In 2018 women were told to not back Hillary Clinton simply because she is a women and now we have people saying women should back Gina Haspel because she is a woman.  And Meghan has the gall to say female Democrats are hypocrites?  Fuck her.

No. The Republicans are saying that the Democrats are being hypocritical because they did want people to vote for Hillary simply because she was a woman and now the Democrats are saying that gender should not play any factor. See the hypocrisy? Republicans can also be be hypocritical, but this instance of hypocrisy is all Democrat.

(edited)
6 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

Whoopi was a complete failure as a moderator today. She wouldn't give Sunny the time to voice her views, and then refused to stop and go to commercial as directed when she had the floor and was just repeating herself. She and Meghan have a lot in common. They both think they should be deferred to because their words are so much more important than the other panelists. Insecure much? Whoopi goes after people she feels threatened by/inferior to - Rosie, Sunny . . . 

This is why I've stopped watching every day.  She's almost to the point of being insufferable.  Guess I won't watch today's show.  I long for Friday shows when she is off.    

Edited by A.J.
addition
  • Love 12

I'm trying to understand Whoopie's determination to use the "N" word at the hot topics table when Sunny has voiced on multiple occasions that she is not comfortable with that word, and that she has an intense emotional reaction hearing it. I wish Whoopie would be considerate of that, but she just blurts it out on today's show. 

It bothered me when Joy pointed out that Kendrick Lamar uses the word "bitch" in one of his songs and he shouldn't be using that word. While I agree that the word bitch can be derogatory it is not comparable to a person using a racially charged word that has a lot of historical racism and violence and inequality towards people of color. For me "bitch"  and the "N" word are not comparable, and I don't think Joy should have brought that up.

• Love 13
(edited)
2 hours ago, backformore said:

THEN - republicans put forth a female CIA director and say that any Democrats are being hypocritical and sexist to  not support her, that she deserved the support SIMPLY because she's female.  Democrats were against Gina Haspel because of her stance on, and history with torture.  they didn't want to support her simply because of her gender and ignore the terrible things she stands for. 

Plus, Gina refused to say that torture is immoral.  That was a sticking point for the Democrats that chilled them to the bone.  She prevaricated and made platitudes, but,  said nothing substantial that assured them that she would refuse to enact torture, if she was asked to do it, by a certain person.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 15
(edited)
5 hours ago, backformore said:

that is not the way I see it at ALL. 

Democrats did not say "vote for Hillary SIMPLY because she's female,"  that is what republicans painted it as.   Republicans said it was WRONG to vote for Hillary based on gender. Democrats wanted people to vote for Hillary because she was the better candidate. 

THEN - republicans put forth a female CIA director and say that any Democrats are being hypocritical and sexist to  not support her, that she deserved the support SIMPLY because she's female.  Democrats were against Gina Haspel because of her stance on, and history with torture.  they didn't want to support her simply because of her gender and ignore the terrible things she stands for. 

this instance of hypocrisy is ALL Republican.

And all of the hosts, even Meghan, agreed with this.   Well, Meghan agreed with it and then went off on a tangent that then went somewhere else, but at least for a moment, she agreed.  

I agree. Probably the main feature of the Democrats in 2016 was focusing on a lesser-of-two-evils / "I'm not Trump" strategy (a shame, imo, because they had better to work with). If anything, the Right was more concerned with bringing up the fact that she was female by dismissing people as only supporting her because she was a woman. Now they expect support for monsters like Haspel, SHS, etc. only because they're female, despite what they do and stand for.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 15

James Clapper explains a mistake he made while answering a Congressman's question.  Then Meghan JUMPS on him and accuses him of lying.  Did she not listen?  Then he calmly explains (again) what we all heard him explain.  All the while, she's scowling.  I have a resting-bitch face; can I have her job?

• Love 16
6 hours ago, bannana said:

There is a lot that is wrong about having a monarchy starting with the exorbitant cost to taxpayers, and the perpetuation of a caste system.  So this is a principle that one could argue. 

In the case of this royal wedding, the people certainly seemed to support all the pageantry...and the expenses have been documented for them almost daily.  I know they also complain about their taxes and the extravagant lives of the royals, but I think they often put all that aside.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

In the case of this royal wedding, the people certainly seemed to support all the pageantry...and the expenses have been documented for them almost daily.  I know they also complain about their taxes and the extravagant lives of the royals, but I think they often put all that aside.

I do not disagree that this is the case.  Clearly there is support for the monarchy, both in the UK and in the Commonwealth.  In Canada we pay a ridiculous amount of money to host the Royals when they visit and Canadians seem to be okay with that.

I only raised this perspective to say that Elsa could have argued the uselessness of the monarchy as a reason to not get excited about watching the royal wedding.  But she had a different weird perspective.

• Love 8

In addition to Whoopi swallowing up time with "Welcome to The View" at the start of the show we also had her licking RMB's asshole to try and keep her simmer level at a minimum.

• Love 10
(edited)

Here goes Meghan again, trying to interject herself and her family into a hot topic. They're not talking about your dad's "off the record" conversation with a journalist, Meghan. Plus, off-camera doesn't automatically mean "off the record." I knew she'd revert back to defending Trump.

Meghan says she doesn't trust a lot of the media. Well, a lot of people don't trust you either Meghan, so what does that tell you? More importantly, why would we care which members of the media you distrust?! Ughhhh.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 20

Why does Whoopie always go to break when SUNNY is talking?!   Has she ever interrupted Elsa mid-sentence to go to break?  Because if she has, I sure don't remember it.  If I were hosting that show, we'd have 57 breaks, because I would go to one every time Meggie opened her pie hole.

• Love 21

Meghan is such a buffoon. She's more concerned with a media source giving "off-the-record" information--not even knowing if it was off-the-record--than what was actually said. So then instead of talking about the topic, which is that Trump attacks the media to cause distrust and confusion among the public so that they won't believe anything that's reported about him, they instead talk about the journalist/reporter. Stop trying to have your cake and eat it, too, Meghan. You can't pretend you criticize the Trump administration when you daily defend, deflect, and obfuscate things like this.

• Love 23
(edited)
4 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

You can't pretend you criticize the Trump administration when you daily defend, deflect, and obfuscate things like this.

She only criticizes Trump and his cronies when it's personal to her.

Trump doesn't think voting in the midterms is important because he isn't on the ballot.  Once again it's all about him.

Edited by blondiec0332
  • Love 16
5 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Has she ever interrupted Elsa mid-sentence to go to break?

Very rarely, and when she does, she apologizes ("I'm sorry go ahead baby"). She never apologizes when interrupting anybody else at the table, especially if that person is Sunny.

• Love 13
15 hours ago, bannana said:

This I could understand.  There is a lot that is wrong about having a monarchy starting with the exorbitant cost to taxpayers, and the perpetuation of a caste system.  So this is a principle that one could argue. 

But there’s no monarchy in the US.  Does she have empathy for the Brits?  LOL.  I still think she gets her ideas from her husband. I just don’t get her reasoning.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Ladyrain said:

For the record, I'm sure Stahl's conversation was not 'off the record', because no matter what, I doubt that she would reveal that info if it was.

And Trump doesn't know the meaning of the words off the record.  The man runs off at the mouth constantly.

And WTF is wrong with Meghan that even if it was off the record what he said doesn't bother her??????

• Love 19

OMG - it's a topsy-turvy day when Whoopi has the best hair on the panel.  Sara looks thrown together, Joy is shaggy and needs a cut,  Sunny's hair is wearing her, and Meghan looks like an 80-year-old dowager.  Get it together, ladies!  You're on TV!

• Love 11
2 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

But there’s no monarchy in the US.  Does she have empathy for the Brits?  LOL.  I still think she gets her ideas from her husband. I just don’t get her reasoning.

I don't think she has reasoning for anything. She just repeats what the Republican talking points are for the day. Oversimplification and diversions are the tactic du jour right now.

• Love 15
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Michelle Wolf is very off putting.  I don't like her.

Is the 30 year old whose parents are trying to evict going to use his parents money to appeal the judge's decision?

My husband was getting ready for work,  I turned on the news and this was the story that was on, we both laughed so hard. We have a 24 year old that moved home a few weeks ago and it's been interesting.  We have a time line of how long she can stay. She better not makes us take to court lol. 

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I don't understand why "the press" doesn't boycott Trump & only print/report stories obtained from ANY OTHER SOURCE!!  Just sayin'.

Because the press doesn't get to choose what stories to report and print. Their purpose is to report on everything of national and public interest. If they only report stories from other sources, they're NOT doing their jobs. And the shenanigans being conducted should be reported.

Show should just put a giant postcard of things Meghan doesn't trust or like. She's already gone on record that she hates the "media" and that the NYT is "slime" and Newsweek is "trash." Nothing new here. So I guess because she can't come up with anything new, she just regurgitates what she's already said?

So she's reverted to type/natural/real behavior/person now that Sweeps are over. Color me shocked. ?????

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

In addition to Whoopi swallowing up time with "Welcome to The View" at the start of the show we also had her licking RMB's asshole to try and keep her simmer level at a minimum.

When the show opened with that award winning ass kissing, I thought we'd be in trouble. But they went on to redeem themselves with an update on the second greatest love story of the week. That segment brought a tear to my eye , it was so touching.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

MMM needs an ass kicking, rather than an ass licking.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/23/2018 at 8:21 AM, Ladyrain said:

Why does Whoopie always go to break when SUNNY is talking?!   Has she ever interrupted Elsa mid-sentence to go to break?  Because if she has, I sure don't remember it.  If I were hosting that show, we'd have 57 breaks, because I would go to one every time Meggie opened her pie hole.

That is the producers  call, not hers.  Every so often she asks to keep going and they tell her, after the break.  

On 5/23/2018 at 8:43 AM, blondiec0332 said:

Whoopi is criticizing the 30 yr. old man living with his parents when she still continues to support her 40something daughter.

Alex doesn’t live with her.  If I had millions I would gift my kids, too.  Joy probably does the same with her daughter. 

On 5/23/2018 at 8:41 AM, Alexis2291 said:

Meghan just asked Michelle Wolf how she would feel knowing that she may have killed any comedian's future career because of her White House Correspondence performance. WTF kind of question is that?? So even if there are no more comedians invited to the White House Correspondence Dinner ever, that means comedians will never find gigs elsewhere?! What a stupid question.

Too much!  Trump cannot kill a comedian's career by not allowing them to be at his functions!!  They don't give a shit, there are other gigs.  She is too much.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:37 AM, Tunia said:

OMG - it's a topsy-turvy day when Whoopi has the best hair on the panel.  Sara looks thrown together, Joy is shaggy and needs a cut,  Sunny's hair is wearing her, and Meghan looks like an 80-year-old dowager.  Get it together, ladies!  You're on TV!

Ha ha ha ha ha!  Joy needs a new hair style.  One side back and the other down is not working well.   Sunny, lose the ingenue look. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, Wings said:

Alex doesn’t live with her.  If I had millions I would gift my kids, too.  Joy probably does the same with her daughter. 

There is a difference between gifting and supporting.   As far as I know Alex has never had a job.  I don't even know if her husband has a job.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

There is a difference between gifting and supporting.   As far as I know Alex has never had a job.  I don't even know if her husband has a job.

Ahhh, I didn’t know this. 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

Meghan just asked Michelle Wolf how she would feel knowing that she may have killed any comedian's future career because of her White House Correspondence performance. WTF kind of question is that?? So even if there are no more comedians invited to the White House Correspondence Dinner ever, that means comedians will never find gigs elsewhere?! What a stupid question.

If she were a lawyer, wouldn't this be "leading" or "badgering the witness"? It's a mean-spirited hypothetical question. In the movie in my mind, Ana Navarro or Jedidah Bila asks something like, "After your performance, there were opinion pieces that suggested ending the White House Correspondents Dinner in part because of the negative media attention. Do you think that's a reasonable thing to do?" This lets the not-as-aware viewers know that, yes, there WAS a considerable backlash, but also gives Michele the floor to speak on it.

My favorite episode ever of The View (sadly gone from the Interwebs) is with Audra McDonald in S10 and Joy Behar has, jokingly, said so many comments that hurt Rosie's feelings that Rosie says to the camera, "I have to tell you, I'm really missing Star Jones right now. I miss her. I'm feeling the love."

MM has me feeling that way about Hasselbeck and Candace Cameron.

I am moving back in with my parents VERY TEMPORARILY and that lawsuit is so upsetting! I'm paying rent!

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Whoopi is criticizing the 30 yr. old man living with his parents when she still continues to support her 40something daughter.

...and perhaps the granddaughter and great-granddaughter.  Poor Alex has been trying to get into showbiz all her life.  I'm sure Whoopi encouraged it at first and pulled every string she could.  Too late to break that mold, I guess.   I suppose if I were Whoopi's daughter and compared what I could earn on a "real" job--even a really good one--I'd be discouraged and take the easy way out (sucking up to my millionaire mother).

Edited by Former Nun
bad merge
  • Love 4
(edited)

I am so sick of Meggie.  She is not a conservative, she is a radical pinhead. 

That’s all I got today. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Am I the only one who thought Meghan looked like she belonged on Little House on the Prairie today?

Yes -- Nellie Oleson when MM wears her hair in tendrils along with her mean girl persona. 

• Love 5

The primaries segment drove me nuts!  I'm glad they discussed it, so A for effort, but you can't discuss low voter turnout without voter suppression. I don't know the laws in GA, but I have been an election judge in MN for years and new residents are gobsmacked at how easy we make it for you to vote. Many states now require ID for you to vote (not register, but vote!) and in some states they do that also practically shutting the places where you can obtain your ID. It's not just millennials staying home, it's millenials not voting because a student ID is not valid. And then Whoopi says that Deval Patrick was not the first black governor but the guy in L.A. was. Wait, what?

• Love 3