Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 5/14/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

I am really sorry that ANYONE has cancer, but, there are plenty of people who have parents and children who struggle with it and those people go to work everyday and don’t constantly talk about their ill relatives.  There are even people who themselves are struggling with a chronic or terminal illness who have no choice but to go to work as long as they are able.  My own father had Alzheimer’s for 10 years and I went to work and talked about my father probably less than a dozen times.  My point is, listening to Meghan day after day and how hard it is on her is so incredibly tiresome.  Meghan, quit the show and go be with your father.  As hard as it is for you to believe others are also struggling and are not interested in hearing daily of your struggle when you have options not available to most people.

Kind of like her dad, who is still showing up for important votes, giving his opinion, and trying to use his position in a positive way, instead of whining about his cancer.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

Maybe her dad and/or mom talked to her about what they have been seeing of her hateful behavior on the View.  Her haters are just responding in kind to her vitriol.

All you have to do is look on social media to see how unpopular she is.  Of course, a lot of posts on social media are insane, but there's a definite consensus.  The thing is that she doesn't have the intelligence or wit to be a pundint.  Somebody suggested that she would work well on an entertainment show, so she should probably look into that.

• Love 9
(edited)

You know what chapped my hide today about the new calm MM? Her statement about how they respect each other at the table. No bitch you do not!  She's absolutely dumbfounded that Joy is incredibly nice to her. Joy is an nice mature person who has her shit together and wouldn't waste her energy lowering herself to behave like her. 

I read Joes FB which she said she read and made her feel like she's not alone going through this. It was heart rendering and a beautiful testament  from a devoted son. If MM wants to go out to eat stop being such an bitch as she brings it on herself. I'd be afraid the staff was spitting in my food if I was as cantankerous.  

Thank goodness the show was ended with those precious  beautiful children.  All of a sudden I've developed allergies? 

Edited by athousandclowns
Too may which (s)
  • Love 9

And yes Meghan honey you are a snowflake.  How many times have we  heard her complain and whine about how hard it is being a Republican? How hard it is dealing with her dad's illness? How hard it is explaining Trump's base?

• Love 18
15 hours ago, Ohboy said:

It’s not just immigrants that have lost this work ethic over time. It is society in general.

It's really interesting that you mentioned this, as I believe it is a growing opinion that society has. I recently read an intern's college paper, that it is actually television's representation of minorities and lower income families that have led to the idealism that they do not want to work.

Shows such as Maury Povich often show women who have to test multiple men to find their baby daddies. Judge Judy often comments on the plaintiffs or defendants collecting disability and scamming the system.

It is this negative representation, that is typically the only exposure some of society has, and therefore base these negative opinions of single mothers, or minorities off of these shows. 

It was a very interesting report she did, and I do believe the entertainment industry needs to look at itself, and the representation of certain groups that it consistently portrays in a negative way, and how it influences the general public.

• Love 21
9 minutes ago, Onceafan said:

It's really interesting that you mentioned this, as I believe it is a growing opinion that society has. I recently read an intern's college paper, that it is actually television's representation of minorities and lower income families that have led to the idealism that they do not want to work.

Shows such as Maury Povich often show women who have to test multiple men to find their baby daddies. Judge Judy often comments on the plaintiffs or defendants collecting disability and scamming the system.

It is this negative representation, that is typically the only exposure some of society has, and therefore base these negative opinions of single mothers, or minorities off of these shows. 

It was a very interesting report she did, and I do believe the entertainment industry needs to look at itself, and the representation of certain groups that it consistently portrays in a negative way, and how it influences the general public.

Well said!

• Love 6

That was like an episode of the Twilight Zone. Everyone being nice and getting along, a few laughs, Sara talking about Socrates and Aristotle and then going on to quote Ghandi. and an excellent ending. What's going on ? But I have to say seeing the look on those kid's faces when Kobe came out was one of the nicest things I've  seen in a long time. I felt so happy for them. Don't worry the old Meghan will be back before you know it. I hear they're giving odds in Vegas.

• Love 16
(edited)

The Yanny/Laurel things was weird.  Is this really a thing?  The words sound nothing alike.  It defies logic that one could be mistaken for another.  It kind of makes a person think about how miscommunication happens.  I'm keeping my skeptic hat on for now.  

I just wanted to add, I used to type medical records, and if I couldn't decipher between the words rectum and hamstring, there would be a problem, including disciplinary action.  

Edited by Fable
  • Love 6
(edited)

I've lost/cared for both my parents and my best friend/life mentor through long, painful diseases, my dad to cancer, and it's painful to go through for the caregivers and loved ones as well as the person dying. I literally spent a year unable to do anything except cry after my mom passed. I don't expect anyone to "get over it," and I have empathy for anyone who's going through what Meghan is. I don't give her a pass for her ugly behavior for it, though.

The last few days have been like the Twilight Zone, but in a good way. I don't mind hearing opinions that differ from mine (I'm used to it, as the only liberal/Democrat in a family of Fox News Republicans), but it's all in the way it's presented. Meghan screeches, Jed talked so fast no one else could get a word in, and Elisabeth pouted. All of them were unbearable to me.

Now Ana, I love. She is feisty, she is informed, and she is smart. She goes off on tangents and she is passionate, but she's never ugly in the way the three I mentioned above are. I am sure I disagree with her views in many ways, but as long as she's respectful to the others at the table, I'm fine with it.

It's all in the delivery. I don't think I'll ever get over Meghan turning her back on Sen. Durbin after being downright rude to him, but at least I'll stop deleting the show unwatched on her screechier, more unhinged days. Twilight Zone for the win!

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 18

I was thinking about MM and how she is "helping" with her dad.  Yes, it is difficult but she doesn't seem to be the primary caregiver.  I think that the family can afford help/support/home care for him.  I had both my parents with me.   I worked all day and had a caregiver for six hours a day (luckily my dad had enough SS money to pay her).  I would leave them in the morning for work (I usually left around 6:45am) and the caregiver would arrive around 8:00am.  She would leave at 3:00pm and I would do my best to be home by 3:30 so that they would not be left alone too long.  I was constantly worried that something would happen - *my mom had Alzheimer's and my dad has a variety of physical problems.  I didn't get much sympathy/empathy from my colleagues although they knew what was going on - I had to explain to them that there would be days when I just couldn't meet but would try my best to attend any meeting they would arrange.  Contractually, I could leave my job at 2:00/2:15 but they liked to meet until 3:30/4:00 or even longer.  My siblings would help on the weekend when they could, but I was on the clock from the time I got home until the next morning. plus weekends when my siblings couldn't help.  So while I sympathize with MM's worries about her dad, the difference is that she doesn't have to worry about his care like others with a "normal" income and job do.  Not to minimize her feelings, but it is not the same.  

*My mom just passed from Alzheimer's about four months ago.  We miss her.

• Love 24
(edited)
2 hours ago, Fable said:

The Yanny/Laurel things was weird.  Is this really a thing?  The words sound nothing alike.  It defies logic that one could be mistaken for another.  It kind of makes a person think about how miscommunication happens.  I'm keeping my skeptic hat on for now.  

It really is the strangest thing. They only have 1 letter in common. As much as I try to hear laurel, I hear yanny every time. How is this even possible ? It's like it's an optical illusion but for your ears. I wonder if fans of the musician Yanni think they've been listening to Laurel for all these years ?

Edited by Orillia
add words
  • Love 8

One of my FB friends said the original word is laurel, with yanni imposed over it in a higher pitch. People with hearing loss will not hear the higher register. My husband can only hear laurel even with his hearing aids. I, like Sara, have heard both at different times.  Not sure what that means. Lol.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Onceafan said:

And to add to this, the negative representation isn't always as explicit as seeing it on Maury or Judge Judy. A lot of that bias and stereotype is fed in disguise by the media who are 'just reporting the news'. How many times is a white criminal ever described as anything more than just being white and perhaps mentally unstable? Minorities who get in trouble with the law and are reported in a way that provides context that feeds stereotypes. If you're anything but white, I can bet money that the news will likely inform me about your ethnicity, whether you're American/Canadian born, whether you come from a single parent household, grew up in a rough neighbourhood, has had issues with unemployment, etc. The media has used language, a very powerful tool, to implicitly feed these stereotypes since time. It's not about being a 'writer' and drawing your reader in when these details only seem important when it's a certain sector of the population that receives so much attention to detail. 

That candidate is such an idiot but he's only piggy backing on rhetoric that has been preached elsewhere. Far too many are talking about illegal immigration in a context that equates it to criminal behaviour and a lack of intelligence which is wrong. You know how your brain can read and understand words even if spelled incorrectly? That's what like this messaging is - when you keep talking about illegal immigration all the time in the same breath as criminals and people who lack education and skills, it doesn't matter if you say 'most of them' or 'a lot of them', and not technically saying ALL of them are like that - you are still feeding a subliminal message that reinforces the ignorant assumptions of those who already feel that way. And this side moves between the argument that illegal immigrants steal jobs and that they're too uneducated and therefore leach off the system....it can't be both so it would be too hard to pick a lane and stay there? And for the record, studies show that when people are able to retain their culture and language (demonstrating cultural resilience) they are more likely to find social and economic prosperity. 

That Susan woman is an embarrassment. Is that what you think is a good use of tax payer money while real crime is happening elsewhere? And why wouldn't you call the park authority rather than the police? 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

That Susan woman is an embarrassment. Is that what you think is a good use of tax payer money while real crime is happening elsewhere? And why wouldn't you call the park authority rather than the police? 

Who's sorry now?  Suppose she'll call the police on Whoopi?

8 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

You know what chapped my hide today about the new calm MM? Her statement about how they respect each other at the table. No bitch you do not!

No comment.  We just needed to see this again.  Thanks, AThousandClowns!

• Love 6
(edited)

Returning from my self imposed exile.  When the opener talked about a super star visit I had my doubts.  Yeah, what super star was going to appear on the View?  However the segment with the kids and Kobe exceeded all expectations.  It was perfectly charming.

And the yanni/laurel thing?  It's weird but it depends on whether you can hear higher frequencies.  Some people can, some can't.  I saw one report on the news where they isolated each frequency so viewers could hear both words.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I don't go too many places; it's hell to try to get my walker in/out of the car.  My adult sons and I used to talk about volunteering at our local "pound," but know that we'd bring home too many animals--or cry about them.  The best I do is donate food, sheets, towels, $$$, etc. to our local animal welfare league.

oh, i'm sorry you can't get around all that well. why don't you call the shelter, maybe they can come to you with a few to choose from? thank you for donating! 

• Love 1

I think Sarah engages in a lot of “both sides” journalism, which I see as problematic because it’s a whole other form of misinformation.  There is a difference between Don Jr’s meeting with the Russians and Fusion GPS’s research. If Sarah took the time to read an article in The New Yorker a couple of months ago, it’s pretty laid out that while the Clintons knew they were paying for opposition research, they didn’t know who was doing the research—in other words, there was a “curtain” between the two parties that allowed them both to act independently.  Also, Christopher Steele, who conducted the research, had been communicating with the FBI and he had worked with the FBI in the past.  There is a difference between standard opposition research and setting up meetings with the Kremlin.  I understand Sarah is trying to look “fair,” but to me it looks like she hasn’t done all her homework on the topic, and I think it’s a shame for people with a platform not to do all their homework because she’s kind of perpetuating a myth about the dossier to a large audience.  

• Love 19
12 minutes ago, SoapySales said:

Who are you and what have you done with Meghan McCain?

If this is the real Meghan, then I suppose this is a good thing. All it took was a death insult about her dad and for sweeps to happen, but I guess it's okay, right?

The only problem is that she needs to stop saying 'this show this'll and 'this show that.' She even thanked Sunny for being a lawyer and explaining things, when we've seen her disagree with her about this issue before.

The whole thing is weird.

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

If this is the real Meghan, then I suppose this is a good thing. All it took was a death insult about her dad and for sweeps to happen, but I guess it's okay, right?

The only problem is that she needs to stop saying 'this show this'll and 'this show that.' She even thanked Sunny for being a lawyer and explaining things, when we've seen her disagree with her about this issue before.

Yeah, it really is weird. A few weeks ago she was going to "filet" James Comey about the Russian collusion probe, now she is saying "there is a lot of smoke." Does she think we forget this stuff?

• Love 10

Ugh - Bret Baier.  I've never watched his show and never will.  There's just something bizarre about his look - no neck, squinty eyes - that I find difficult to watch.  Yes, it's shallow, but he's one of several people that strike me this way.  He and his plastic wife make quite the couple.  Rant over.

• Love 13

Meghan said one thing that got a lot of audience applause -  and she grinned from ear to ear.   She lives for applause, and I think she will continue say anti-trump things just for the applause.

• Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jan Levenson said:

I think Sarah engages in a lot of “both sides” journalism, which I see as problematic because it’s a whole other form of misinformation.

I like Sara but this is one of the issues I have with her. It’s okay to see things from all sides but sometimes it’s a slippery slope when misformation and half-truths are involved. Seems like sometimes she’s afraid to stand firm on what she believes in. 

1 hour ago, CheezyXpressed said:

She even thanked Sunny for being a lawyer and explaining things, when we've seen her disagree with her about this issue before.

Yeah. When she thanked Sunny for being a lawyer, I was kind of scratching my head and giving her the side-eye.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 12
27 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I like Sara but this is one of the issues I have with her. It’s okay to see things from all sides but sometimes it’s a slippery slope when misformation and half-truths are involved. Seems like sometimes she’s afraid to stand firm on what she believes in. 

I personally thinks she wants to play both sides of the fence.  She doesn't want to offend anyone so she ends up giving false equivalency and murky logic in the name of trying to be fair.

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, backformore said:

Meghan said one thing that got a lot of audience applause -  and she grinned from ear to ear.   She lives for applause, and I think she will continue say anti-trump things just for the applause.

MM is incredibly shallow and needy for attention, which is why she name drops the her "friends" so often. She  dying to be friends with REAL political pundints, politicos, movie/tv stars, and other celebrities, but puts them down because they don't like her.  I think wait staff probably are reacting to her elitist, snotty manners v. knowing who she is.  When the audience applauded something she said the other day, she gave a brief "thank you" very dismissively.  No class whatsoever.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, SoapySales said:

Who are you and what have you done with Meghan McCain?

I was just coming here to say this.  This conciliatory, reasonable person pretending to be Meghan is creeping me out.

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Alexis2291 said:

Yeah. When she thanked Sunny for being a lawyer, I was kind of scratching my head and giving her the side-eye.

She really want's the two of them to go out for drinks again doesn't she ? In the spirit of all the niceness that's going around, I want to thank Meghan for pointing out not once, but twice that Sunny is a lawyer. I've never heard that before. 

• Love 6
(edited)

It can't be said enough how much I love Alan Cumming and wish they had done two segments with him and skipped Fox guy. I'm happy to hear Alan's show has been renewed because I thought they were going to have to do CPR on it.

Whoopi  is enjoyable in it. 

I just can't get over MM's affect now. I'm leaning towards medication or she's carpooling with Whoopi and has a contact high.  She's had moments like this before but it's never lasted even through a show. Maybe it's dawned on her that if she looses this gig there will not be another. 

Sorry pointing out Sunny being a lawyer doesn't cancel out her asking if she was a journalist. 

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 13

Renewals are coming up soon and I think MM realizes she really needs this job.  When her father passes, I don't see other networks lining up to hire her to do anything. 

• Love 14
3 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

If this is the real Meghan, then I suppose this is a good thing.

Just because she's "nice" doesn't mean she has anything to say.  The View could do a lot better.

• Love 15

Let's not also forget that when Bitsy was on this show, they all did their rounds of "we all LIKE each other!" "We all LOOOVE each other!" and then Whoopi would tell the viewers watching on teevee to ignore all the rumors, articles, etc., because no one was going anywhere.

How'd that work out for you, Bitsy? Sherri?

• Love 10

I'm a Scorpio, so I don't do "forgive and forget," but I am digging StepfordMeghan! #NoScreechingFTW

I nearly peed myself laughing when that Fox guy came on and Meghan was waxing effusively about his marriage, and Joy's opening shot was to ask if they have a polyamorous marriage.

I was going to say I want to be that sassy when I'm her age, but I want to be that sassy now. 

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Let's not also forget that when Bitsy was on this show, they all did their rounds of "we all LIKE each other!" "We all LOOOVE each other!" and then Whoopi would tell the viewers watching on teevee to ignore all the rumors, articles, etc., because no one was going anywhere.

How'd that work out for you, Bitsy? Sherri?

Michelle?  Nicolle?

7 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

I was going to say I want to be that sassy when I'm her age, but I want to be that sassy now. 

I am that sassy now.  Life is too short to not be.

• Love 6

Oh hey guys and gals who watched today's show...Did you know that RBM's father is dying of cancer? I thought I would let you all know. God, she was screeching so loud, I just had to turn that shit off.  Alan was adorable though, and who was that NO NECKED MONSTER before him? (Sorry but I just love to quote Tennessee Williams) ---- oh the mendacity!  Yeah, I went there. Burp. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Oh hey guys and gals who watched today's show...Did you know that RBM's father is dying of cancer? I thought I would let you all know. God, she was screeching so loud, I just had to turn that shit off.  Alan was adorable though, and who was that NO NECKED MONSTER before him? (Sorry but I just love to quote Tennessee Williams) ---- oh the mendacity!  Yeah, I went there. Burp. 

And did you know her father is a politician? We've never heard that before.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Sorry pointing out Sunny being a lawyer doesn't cancel out her asking if she was a journalist

Ever since the news broke about Kelly Sadler saying “he’s dying anyway,” in reference to Meghan’s dad, there’s been a shift in her level of nastiness - I mean, I’m not saying she’s reformed or anything but I wonder if the whole thing made her realize how stupid she looks, doing mental gymnastics everyday in an attempt to defend this administration? At this point, I’m wondering if all her “good friends” who voted for Trump also talked to her? She gave Sunny credit and acknowledged Sunny’s expertise as a lawyer. S u n n y. On another day she admitted how hard it is for her to give this administration any credit. Maybe it’s because her mom got involved in the drama when she tweeted about the children/grandchildren of Sen. McCain? I’m not expecting her to last being this nice for much longer but it’s definitely interesting. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, msrachelj said:

oh, i'm sorry you can't get around all that well. why don't you call the shelter, maybe they can come to you with a few to choose from? thank you for donating! 

HaHA!   I have two 90-pound dogs and a tortoise who weighs over 100 (we can no longer lift him to weigh him).  I was just doing some wishful thinking.......

• Love 1