Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E21: Summer Sausage, a Pocket Poncho, and Tony Danza

• Start Topic

I teared up with happy memories with my own father during the scenes with George and Missy at Red Lobster.  Every little girl needs to be treated like a lady by her father or a father figure.

• Love 23

I loved George and Missy's dinner date at Red Lobster. That was the best part of the whole episode. 

Runner up goes to Georgie and Mary's less successful dinner. LOL at Georgie asking if he was conceived out of wedlock. Mary should have just told him the truth, I doubt he really cares.

Dr. Sturgis continues to be adorkable. Can't decide whether Sheldon's stanning him and Meemaw is cute or creepy.

• Love 12

I would think that the way that Dr. Sturgis acts just Sheldon, that would be a turn-off for MeeMaw.  She gave George the side eye when he mentioned it, so I'm surprised she slept with him.  Dr. Sturgis even calls sex 'coitus!'   I love that they're showing just how far back "spaghetti with cut up hot dogs" goes!  Sheldon's favorite meal. 

• Love 11
(edited)
13 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I would think that the way that Dr. Sturgis acts just Sheldon, that would be a turn-off for MeeMaw.  She gave George the side eye when he mentioned it, so I'm surprised she slept with him.  Dr. Sturgis even calls sex 'coitus!'

Not only that, but I think the way Annie Potts is playing Connie's relationship with Sturgis is confusing. Most of the time it feels like she's either humoring him or being a little condescending. I don't get the sense that she genuinely likes him. 

The George and Missy dinner was absolutely delightful. It's hard to reconcile this George with the philanderer Sheldon remembers. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 7
49 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

LOL at Georgie asking if he was conceived out of wedlock. Mary should have just told him the truth, I doubt he really cares.

No, but she does.  It doesn't fit her image.  Plus, she doesn't want to give him the idea that it's ok to have sex before he's married.

• Love 8

I loved Missy and George's dinner at Red Lobster. And how delighted Missy was when the waiter pulled out her chair for her and placed her napkin in her lap, hee. So cute. 

Georgie asking Mary about when he was conceived was great. As was her trying to convince him that he was a 10 pound preemie, haha. 

• Love 17
(edited)
2 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

Mary and Georgie’s dinner absolutely killed me. Loved him asking about the math regarding his birthday and his parents’ wedding date, and Mary’s (really awful) attempts to lie her way out of it. Her prayer at the end was the best. Zoe Perry has her mom’s super expressive face and that made Mary’s discomfort hilariously fun to watch, at least for me. 

That was great and showed that Georgie is not as stupid as everyone thinks. Plus,

Spoiler

we found out on tonight's BBT episode that Georgie grew up to be a successful businessman and not the loser Sheldon made him out to be.

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

LOL at Georgie asking if he was conceived out of wedlock. Mary should have just told him the truth, I doubt he really cares.

He probably doesn't, but he could use it against her whenever she gets preachy.

George and Missy's dinner at Red Lobster was so sweet, I almost cried. That'll probably be one of the happiest memories she'll have of him.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I loved Missy and George's dinner at Red Lobster. And how delighted Missy was when the waiter pulled out her chair for her and placed her napkin in her lap, hee. So cute. 

Georgie asking Mary about when he was conceived was great. As was her trying to convince him that he was a 10 pound preemie, haha. 

“Allow me.”

”You are allowed.”

• Love 15

I was a teen in the eighties and loved Who's the Boss. I wasn't like Georgie about Tony Danza, but I wanted Alyssa Milan's hairstyle at the time.

When Sheldon woke his parents up, he said Mom three times. Doing things three times is his thing. 

• Love 2

The sweetest episode so far, all around. And for a change, less Sheldon and more insight into the other characters.

Missy was adorable. And dad actually rose to the occasion. I can relate to Melissa's instant addiction to lobster. We took a 10 year old niece to a fancy steakhouse and introduced her to filet mignon and stuffed mushrooms in wine sauce. And created a monster. I felt sorry for any boy she dated when she got older.

It's too bad Mary couldn't be honest with Georgie. He wasn't being judgmental. But I understand. LOL. He was smart enough to figure out when he was conceived and knows what special care preemies need, but believed they would send a 3-month preemie home just because he had a full head of hair. Or was he just more willing to accept that story than that he was conceived out of wedlock?

I wonder if Prof. Sturgis can accept the randy woman that Meenaw really is.

• Love 9

LOVED Missy/Melissa and George. That actress and the director are spot on. For instance, I loved how she just went ahead calling her father "George" without any kind of fake-cute, "I'm getting away with something" terrible child acting. Just supremely confident Missy saying what she wants to say. Her confidence is probably my favorite thing about her. I loved that the waiter paid all that attention to her. Someone on this show is looking out for details like that. 

I was glad that Mary and Georgie got to talk, too, even though it was torture for her. 

• Love 16
(edited)
9 hours ago, Bobbin said:

It's too bad Mary couldn't be honest with Georgie. He wasn't being judgmental. But I understand. LOL. He was smart enough to figure out when he was conceived and knows what special care preemies need, but believed they would send a 3-month preemie home just because he had a full head of hair. Or was he just more willing to accept that story than that he was conceived out of wedlock?

Sheldon told Georgie that the math doesn't add up when looking at when he was born and when they got married.  That's what prompted Georgie to ask her.  Mary lying to him about it was in character for her.

I'm sorry, but as sweet as Dr. Strugis was for cooking Meemaw that dinner, I had so much second hand embarrassment for him for him biking to her house with a wok strapped to his back.

Loved Missy and her dad's dinner.  Growing up in the 80s/90s, I also thought Red Lobster was a fancy expensive restaurant.  Because Lobster was expensive so any restaurant that had "lobster" in it had to be fancy and expensive right?  It wasn't until I was an adult that I actually ate at one.

Edited by DkNNy79
  • Love 10

Good episode, for all the reasons cited. What jumped out at me though, was Sheldon's reference to 'subtext' in Sturgis and Meemaw's dinner conversation. Has any Sheldon ever showed that much understanding of human communications?

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

Because Lobster was expensive so any restaurant that had "lobster" in it had to be fancy and expensive right?  It wasn't until I was an adult that I actually ate at one.

Red Lobster used to be owned by General Mills, where my dad worked.  We ate there all the time when I was growing up and up to the day he died I'd have to say Red Lobster was his favorite restaurant!   As an adult I can't say I'm all that impressed with their food, but going there brings back good memories so I'm with Missy on this one!

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Frost said:

Red Lobster used to be owned by General Mills, where my dad worked.  We ate there all the time when I was growing up and up to the day he died I'd have to say Red Lobster was his favorite restaurant!   As an adult I can't say I'm all that impressed with their food, but going there brings back good memories so I'm with Missy on this one!

My aunt worked there as a hostess when I was growing up, but we were poor so we rarely went out to eat.  If we did, most likely it was McDonalds or Pizza Hut.

I haven't been to Red Lobster in a few years now but I remember when my kids were small that it was a great place to take them for a "fancy" meal but where we didn't feel that the other diners were going to get bent out of shape because there were kids at the next table.  Gotta be honest though my kids didn't get lobster they got the popcorn shrimp! I loved every minute of the Red Lobster scenes!

• Love 6

I wonder if Prof. Sturgis will still be around in 1993 when Star Trek: Deep Space Nine has a character who looks a lot like him (Grand Nagus Zek).

• Love 6

Too bad, the less of Sheldon, the better the show, as we get to see the 'rest' of the family. I like George, he makes me laugh and so little Missy...nice dinner with her father. I don't understand the 'coupling' of Annie Potts and the actor playing DR. Sturgis...a fine character actor, but couldn't they find a more presentable man for Annie, who is not that old? Anyhow, to me they represent :The odd couple"

• Love 3
(edited)

This episode was so sweet. I love how they're utilizing the other characters more and not making everything all about Sheldon all the time.

The Red Lobster dinner was adorable. I remember being a kid and thinking places like that were super fancy. I loved seeing George and Missy have a nice father/daughter moment.

Mary's discomfort over trying to explain how Georgie was a 9 lb. preemie who somehow managed to be released from the hospital shortly after birth was hilarious. I especially enjoyed watching Georgie tonight after the way Jerry O'Connell slayed his portrayal of the adult version on TBBT.

I was dying when Meemaw's subtle hints about spending the night were going over Dr. Sturgis' head and then when she finally spelled it out he looked at her and politely said "no, thank you." Ouch. 

Overall, I've really enjoyed this first season. I'm bummed the finale is next week, but this is definitely one show to look forward to for next year.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 8

I loved this episode, especially the Red Lobster scenes.  Really great that they focused on the other kids for a change.

This show has been a pleasant surprise- much better than I had imagined, but also kind of bittersweet, as we know George Sr. will be dead in 5 years.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

The George and Missy dinner was absolutely delightful. It's hard to reconcile this George with the philanderer Sheldon remembers. 

Spoiler

That's the big stumbling block for this show, isn't it. To stay true to Big Bang, they need to turn George into a hard-drinking womanizer, but that would ruin the heartfelt sweetness of Young Sheldon. I'm interested to see how the writers eventually handle it, but am forgiving in advance if they choose to steer a different path. If the show lasts that long, maybe George will just die without mention of the "bottle-blonde bartender who tries to buy my love with action figures."

1 hour ago, highway61 said:

Good episode, for all the reasons cited. What jumped out at me though, was Sheldon's reference to 'subtext' in Sturgis and Meemaw's dinner conversation. Has any Sheldon ever showed that much understanding of human communications?

That occurred to me, too, but I figured Sheldon had already started his daily log of social interactions and was putting it to use!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DkNNy79 said:

I'm sorry, but as sweet as Dr. Strugis was for cooking Meemaw that dinner, I had so much second hand embarrassment for him for him biking to her house with a wok strapped to his back.

And he DID look like a ninja turtle!

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, 2727 said:
  Hide contents

That's the big stumbling block for this show, isn't it. To stay true to Big Bang, they need to turn George into a hard-drinking womanizer, but that would ruin the heartfelt sweetness of Young Sheldon. I'm interested to see how the writers eventually handle it, but am forgiving in advance if they choose to steer a different path. If the show lasts that long, maybe George will just die without mention of the "bottle-blonde bartender who tries to buy my love with action figures."

Spoiler

It would seem that the writers of TBBT and the writers of Young Sheldon may be working together to retcon some of the issues.  (I don't know how much overlap there may be in the two writers' rooms.)  In tonight's TBBT episode, we get to see family history from adult Georgie's side and it doesn't match up with Sheldon's recollections.  Similarly, I'm thinking there's a lot that can be done to soften the image of George's last years from what adult Sheldon has described.  

The Red Lobster scene may just be my favorite scene of the series so far.  It was charming.  I loved Missy's initial reaction to the lobster staring at her and George then coming over to show her how to crack it open and get the lobster meat.  The best part of the scene to me was George getting ready to head back over to his side of the table and Missy asking him to stay by her.  So, so sweet.  

• Love 23
1 hour ago, Novel8 said:

. I don't understand the 'coupling' of Annie Potts and the actor playing DR. Sturgis...a fine character actor, but couldn't they find a more presentable man for Annie, who is not that old? Anyhow, to me they represent :The odd couple"

Annie Potts is 65 and Wallace Shawn is 74. I think the point is to have someone who is socially awkward, a grown counterpart of Sheldon.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Annie Potts is 65 and Wallace Shawn is 74. I think the point is to have someone who is socially awkward, a grown counterpart of Sheldon.

But he doesn't strike me as the type of man Meemaw would be attracted to. 

• Love 2

I liked this ep much more than last week's. It brought back memories of when I was a kid, long before I went vegetarian, my parents would take me to Red Lobster on my birthday so I could have my absolute favourite, snow crab legs. And of course, the delectable cheddar bay biscuits! Ah, the things I've given up.

I did think that Sheldon's mom would/should have made it clear that it's NOT ok for him to invite people to dinner without clearing it with her first. Genius or not, that's the kind of thing she should put a stop to.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Or, he could say something to the wrong person and it'll be all over town.

I would bet that in a small town, everyone already knew how "premature" Georgie was. 

10 minutes ago, Lily H said:

I did think that Sheldon's mom would/should have made it clear that it's NOT ok for him to invite people to dinner without clearing it with her first. Genius or not, that's the kind of thing she should put a stop to.

Mary lets Sheldon get away with almost everything. It bugged me when she let him eat dinner on the couch so he could spy on his grandmother and her gentleman caller.

I found it interesting how almost every scene involved two people eating dinner with each other. And, to be honest, I liked the minimal use of Sheldon.

• Love 12
(edited)
16 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

Loved this episode!! 

Missy and George’s perfect dinner date. Missy is just the cutest. She never fails to make me smile.....especially at Red Lobster being the fanciest restaurant in all of Texas. And her dress!!! So awesomely Missy. 

I thought for sure Missy would want to play dress-up or tea party. Instead she wants to play grown-up for a night. I'm sure she's seen Georgie go out on dates or seen her parents get dressed up for dinner (not that it would be a regular thing, but I could picture them going to a nice place for thier anniversary once a year). 

16 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I loved George and Missy's dinner date at Red Lobster. Such a sweet father/daughter moment.

Agreed. 

16 hours ago, pennsygirl said:

Every little girl needs to be treated like a lady by her father or a father figure.

It is important and I'm glad Mary realized that it's important for George to spend some time with Missy. 

16 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I loved George and Missy's dinner date at Red Lobster. That was the best part of the whole episode. 

I had hoped the show would put the two of them on thier own for awhile, and I'm glad it happened. It was exactly what I wanted and I'm glad it worked out so well. 

13 hours ago, Mystery said:

LOVED Missy/Melissa and George. That actress and the director are spot on. For instance, I loved how she just went ahead calling her father "George" without any kind of fake-cute, "I'm getting away with something" terrible child acting. Just supremely confident Missy saying what she wants to say. Her confidence is probably my favorite thing about her. I loved that the waiter paid all that attention to her.

Missy got what she wanted, a glimpse of the adult world and to be treated like a (sort of) grown-up for the night. I like that George was willing to go along with it. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, SmithW6079 said:

I would bet that in a small town, everyone already knew how "premature" Georgie was.

That may have been true where they used to live, but they moved, so nobody around them now may know.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

That may have been true where they used to live, but they moved, so nobody around them now may know.

That's what's confusing. Connie lives right next door to them, and I've been under the assumption that it's the home she's lived in for years (and presumably where Mary grew up). I thought the Coopers moved back to their home town after George lost his job for not wanting to cheat. If the Coopers had to move to a new town, I can't see Connie moving just to be with them.

I could have sworn I heard previous mention that Connie had been living there for a while And when the Coopers had to move, they chose to go to Medford to be near her. I think it was the episode with the space shuttle and the beauty parlor. I don't recall it being a mention of where Mary grew up though.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ProudMary said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It would seem that the writers of TBBT and the writers of Young Sheldon may be working together to retcon some of the issues.  (I don't know how much overlap there may be in the two writers' rooms.)  In tonight's TBBT episode, we get to see family history from adult Georgie's side and it doesn't match up with Sheldon's recollections.  Similarly, I'm thinking there's a lot that can be done to soften the image of George's last years from what adult Sheldon has described.  

The Red Lobster scene may just be my favorite scene of the series so far.  It was charming.  I loved Missy's initial reaction to the lobster staring at her and George then coming over to show her how to crack it open and get the lobster meat.

Add me to the list of those who enjoyed the Red Lobster subplot.  I was afraid that Missy was going to be put off by the lobster staring at her and refuse to eat it, but it turned out she loved it!  Lobster is delicious, so I'm glad she tried it. 

I also liked Missy talking about her intentions to eat lobster every day when she grew up, by either marrying a rich man, or someone who worked at Red Lobster.  Actually, before it became popular, lobster was considered a poor man's food because it was plentiful in the northeast.

• Love 11

Has any Sheldon ever showed that much understanding of human communications?

I think he understands subtext better than he does sarcasm! You're right though, it does seem out of character for him to have understood that, especially given the nature of the conversation.

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I loved Missy's initial reaction to the lobster staring at her and George then coming over to show her how to crack it open and get the lobster meat.

I wondered how she felt about this scene since she's quoted as saying she's been a vegan since she was 4 years old!   I know they wouldn't make her eat what she didn't want too, but sitting there watching Lance crack open that lobster might've been a little jarring for her.  Reagan- Vegan

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I wondered how she felt about this scene since she's quoted as saying she's been a vegan since she was 4 years old! 

Oh, well, I guess you've punctured my illusion!  Wow, a vegan since she was four.  Seems like young girls more naturally gravitate toward this type of diet than males.  Might have something to do with males needing more protein (although I'm aware vegans claim their diet includes plenty of protein).

I respect vegans, although I don't have the willpower to practice it myself.  I always said that the only way I could go vegan is if I had someone to cook me Indian food meals on a regular basis.  All those spices - yum!

3 hours ago, Lily H said:

And of course, the delectable cheddar bay biscuits! Ah, the things I've given up.

My sister, who is a vegetarian, still eats the cheddar bay biscuits!  She'll get a salad and a baked potato, too, if we go to Red Lobster. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Oh, well, I guess you've punctured my illusion!  Wow, a vegan since she was four.  Seems like young girls more naturally gravitate toward this type of diet than males.  Might have something to do with males needing more protein (although I'm aware vegans claim their diet includes plenty of protein).

I respect vegans, although I don't have the willpower to practice it myself.  I always said that the only way I could go vegan is if I had someone to cook me Indian food meals on a regular basis.  All those spices - yum!

As someone who is of Indian descent and who grew up on Indian food, thanks for liking our food.  I do agree with you that it is easier going vegan if you eat Indian food (many dishes are vegetarian).   Our family is vegetarian so it was easier for my sister to go vegan than it will be for someone who grew up on American food. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

My sister, who is a vegetarian, still eats the cheddar bay biscuits!  She'll get a salad and a baked potato, too, if we go to Red Lobster. 

In the interview linked above, Raegan said that she's found it hard to give up cheese, so she and your sister could both do that! 

I adored Missy and George's "date."  The waiter actually treated her like a princess.  Since she is shunted aside so often for Sheldon, that was especially great.  And, seeing that her father will be dead in probably 5 years or so, this night is going to be a really special memory for her.  I was almost afraid they were going to ruin it when she didn't like the lobster staring at her, but they actually made it even more sweet with George fixing it for her.  

I wish Mary had just told Georgie the truth, though.  I don't believe in lying to children in general.  And he's more than old enough to know about the birds and the bees and not fall for something as stupid as the more hair a baby has the earlier he can go home from the hospital.

I just realized there actually wasn't a lot of Sheldon in this episode.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Mystery said:

In the interview linked above, Raegan said that she's found it hard to give up cheese, so she and your sister could both do that! 

My sister tried and failed to go vegan, and cheese was the reason -- she just couldn't give that up, and she said the vegan "cheese" just didn't work for her.

I wonder what Raegan ate instead of lobster and butter?  Mmmmm, lobster and butter.....

Edited by Browncoat