Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: Darlene v. David

David unexpectedly shows up for Harris’ birthday after being absent for years, forcing Darlene to re-examine their relationship and the rest of the family. Meanwhile, Roseanne and Jackie’s mother, Bev, temporarily moves into the Conner home after an incident at the nursing home prevents her from returning

• Love 4

Roseanne (the actress) seemed much calmer tonight, less playing to the cheap seats.

Jackie isn't nearly as wacky when she has her mother to play off of.  Can she stay?

Little Mary is adorable. 

Johnny G sure got a lot of the heavy lifting to do tonight - I wonder if that is because he's been working this entire time and they figured he could handle it. 

Edited by sab85
  • Love 20

I'm having a hard time believing David would up and leave numerous times like that.

I was surprised to see Bev. I thought they had her die that's why Roseanne looked up to the sky in the first episode asking her Mom for money.

Edited by WednesdayAddams
  • Love 22
1 minute ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I thought she was asking god for money lol 

She could have been! It's just Harris asked her Mom, Darlene asked her Mom, then Roseanne looked up asking for money. I thought that was telling us she died. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

3) Harris just punches those cakes and it's like "that's normal"? My family would think I were nuts if I did that as a teen.

That scene was a bit weird to me, too. 

5 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

7) The only part of this episode I liked was the scene with David and Darlene. Was really like watching the original run and a scene between the two.

It was awesome seeing them together again. It was as if no time had passed; they were just older versions of their characters. This scene really brought back memories from older seasons of Roseanne. 

5 minutes ago, SparklesBitch said:

I wish they’d bring back the Jackie of earlier seasons who had things going on in her life, who was fun and layered and pretty well-rounded. 

I agree. The kooky Jackie - one can only take in handfuls. The more stable Jackie is the one who deserves more screen time. 

• Love 17
17 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

This felt more like the Roseanne I used to know.

I think that was good way to resolve David and Darlene. And she was right, if it was just them then they could do this forever but it's not just them and it's not fair to their kids. I'm glad that David will be sticking around, just off-screen. Although it was heartbreaking to hear him ask what Mark is like. If he has to ask that then he *really* hasn't been around. And it doesn't look like Dan's going to be very forgiving anytime soon either, which will make things harder. I think this was probably the best resolution they could get for David and Darlene, simply because JG just isn't available. There's some closure and acknowledgement of their history and we can assume he's around, we just won't see him

After so many years of seeing JG as Leonard over on Big Bang, it was odd to see him as David again. I can definitely hear the difference in the voices that he uses for the different characters.

What Fountain of Youth has Estelle Parsons been drinking from? I seriously want some. She hasn't aged a day and slipped right back into the Bev we all knew and cringed at.

Pretty much agreed on all of this. 

• Love 5

I loved Darlene and David snarking about 'looking like my kids.' To me that sounded like Sara and Johnny's 20+ year friendship shining through!

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 23

Oh I loved this episode!  Loved every minute of it.  David and Darlene....I found myself crying by the end of their scenes.  Excellent all the way around and Roseanne settled now beautifully into her role.  Kudos to everyone!   I also really liked last weeks' episode as well.  I'm excited every Tuesday night now to see the next one. 

Edited by Juliannah
typos
  • Love 21
1 minute ago, Chicken Wing said:

But seriously. Ser-i-ous-ly. What sorcery is responsible for Estelle Parsons not aging a damn day in 20 years?

They should have made a follow up joke to the episode in the original run where she goes into the nursing home and Jackie says something like "or, she becomes a vegetable, lives for another 30 years and hits the jackpot!"

• Love 8

Okay Johnny. I concede.. Nice job tonight. I was prepared to have my eyes rolled back when David returned. But.. It was nice, and their last conversation was very real to my life and a love, and my strings got pulled. I cannot attach to Harris, all I see is Debbie from Shameless. Agreed with the poster above who said she lacks the charm that Darlene had as a moody teen. I have only seen the actress on this and Shameless, and she's playing the same part. I'm happy that the kids pop in and out and it's mostly the old cast, because that's what I want to see. I really don't personally care about their children. Bev!!!! Get. It. Girl!! Kind of ick that she's spreading Gonorrhea though.. But, we'll just move on past that! Haha. Becky just flat out saying she has a drinking problem and drinking her "Mary".. Should have mixed herself up a tornado. It's not up to you Dan whether David can see his children, but, I get where he is coming from. Favorite episode so far. Will have to watch it again at least twice. Great job Estelle and Johnny! Estelle is just amazing, I hope we see a lot more of her. 

• Love 13
22 minutes ago, beartrash said:

I haven't watched the original run since it originally aired, but didn't Bev come out as a late in life lesbian in the original series?

She did. Her girlfriend was played by Ruta Lee. I guess she's bisexual now. 

• Love 4

Season 9 stuff guys... Just forget about it. It's alllll an illusion!!..  Oh! I missed Jackie rearing up like she was going to hit Bev! Bahahaha! That was a first! But, it was hilarious. I missed that the first go round. Don't know how. That was odd, but it was funny. 

• Love 4

The scene where Darlene is watching David wake up...Sarah Gilbert's expression was so loving and unguarded. 

Miles better acting work from Roseanne, but yes to whoever said Laurie Metcalf needs to calm down. She's been distractingly over the top.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

4) If we are ignoring season 9, why did season 9 Bev show up? Why didn't normal Bev show up instead? She is like the crazy grandma who says swear words and talks about sex now. How cliche.

Bev broke her hip in S6 because she slipped in the shower while having sex with her boyfriend Jake. In S9 she was a lesbian, but it sounds like she's straight again in the revival since Becky said Bev was having sex with "old men with veiny legs."

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Conotocarious said:

Harris may really resemble Darlene physically and they are trying to make her have that Darlene-like attitude but she really has none of Darlene’s charm.

She’s awful.  Maybe she’ll leave with David.

in fact, I find all the grand kids annoying.  Send them all to summer camp.  We have Bev now.  And I really like original Becky now.

This was great minus the annoying kids. 

• Love 13

And Jackie does still have her own place, right? She must,  because if she doesn't...where's Becky's dog? This week was the first time that I got the impression that Jackie was living with the Conners. If so, where are Bev and Jackie staying? The basement? Darlene and the kids live upstairs.  Is Becky the only one who isn't crashing with Dan and Roseanne? 

• Love 2

David and Darlene are possibly the first TV couple I got emotionally invested in and even though her reasons were sound,  I SO wanted her heart to win over her head and see them back together.  Maybe next season.  A girl can dream?

• Love 17

If we got references next season that Darlene and David were doing the 'no-strings, living apart but still having fun together' thing I'd believe it. I think they both really and truly love each other, they just don't know how to be together.

• Love 10

I loved it when Roseanne made a beeping sound to make it sound like the machine in the grocery store scanned her item. Just classic.

Also, I had a similar reaction to her and Jackie when Bev talked about having sex.

I have a feeling we'll see more of Darlene and David together.

Edited by Lili
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I even liked how the show explained David's absence.  I could see Darlene and David riding along as they always did on a razors edge but then Mark dies and David's life just falls apart.  David and Mark never had a particularly good relationship but they did love each other and I can see David falling into his worst instincts and running and not knowing how to come back.  

I completely bought this turn. David never really seemed like a guy who took a practical look at life, and I buy that he completely fell apart and never really got himself back together.

I cannot attach to Harris, all I see is Debbie from Shameless. Agreed with the poster above who said she lacks the charm that Darlene had as a moody teen. I have only seen the actress on this and Shameless, and she's playing the same part.

I don't think there's any vulnerability there. She comes off as a tough cookie without much of a heart. With Darlene, you knew there was always a heart underneath the mean shit she said, but with Harris, it just feels like meanness. I should have seen a glimmer of the sad, hurt rejected little girl that Harris was when David left in that scene with him, and I saw none of that. She's supposedly hurt enough by David's rejection that she smashed in a bunch of cakes, but when she actually sees him she seems to treat him more like an uncle who didn't make it to her last birthday party. Harris seems more like she's acting like a bitch because she's a bitch, rather than acting like a bitch because she's covering up how hurt she is about having to leave Chicago for a hick town and having a deadbeat father.

• Love 22
15 minutes ago, what said:

Is Mary named after Nana Mary? I just realized the connection. 

Yes, I believe Michael Fishman said that she was.

I wish that Rosanne would have been Nana Rosie instead of Granny Rose (or something similar), because I feel like her and Nana Mary have very similar personalities.  In the old episodes I could totally see how they were related.

Edited by eskimo
to add
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, HoboClayton said:

Okay Johnny. I concede.. Nice job tonight. I was prepared to have my eyes rolled back when David returned. But.. It was nice, and their last conversation was very real to my life and a love, and my strings got pulled. I cannot attach to Harris, all I see is Debbie from Shameless. Agreed with the poster above who said she lacks the charm that Darlene had as a moody teen. I have only seen the actress on this and Shameless, and she's playing the same part. I'm happy that the kids pop in and out and it's mostly the old cast, because that's what I want to see. I really don't personally care about their children. Bev!!!! Get. It. Girl!! Kind of ick that she's spreading Gonorrhea though.. But, we'll just move on past that! Haha. Becky just flat out saying she has a drinking problem and drinking her "Mary".. Should have mixed herself up a tornado. It's not up to you Dan whether David can see his children, but, I get where he is coming from. Favorite episode so far. Will have to watch it again at least twice. Great job Estelle and Johnny! Estelle is just amazing, I hope we see a lot more of her. 

Yeah, my sister is a big fan of Shameless. I don't really watch it myself, but from what I've seen in Shameless, Emma Kenney seems to have a very similar personality in that show to Roseanne.

And talking about aging, Becky certainly doesn't look 43. I think she could pass as late 20's. Does anyone agree?

• Love 8

The whole dancing around when and how Mark died is getting pretty annoying. And we won't be getting answers this season.

As much as I love Estelle Parsons, this is clearly later seasons Bev and I don't like it.

I hate David's storyline but Johnny was spot on.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, dorcastrilling said:

Very disappointed that this was pre-empted locally due to Barbara Bush's death. A little crazy how heartbroken I am that David and Darlene  don't make it. How long before Direct TV will have it on demand?

It's usually been available the  next day for me - not Roseanne specifically, but others shows like Will and Grace. have been 

Loved this eppy - felt like when the show was good -but tone down Jackie

Maybe now Bev is as fluid as her Ensure.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, eskimo said:

I wish that Rosanne would have been Nana Rosie instead of Granny Rose (or something similar), because I feel like her and Nana Mary have very similar personalities.  In the old episodes I could totally see how they were related.

"Just think in 40 years, you are going to be exactly like me!"

• Love 8