Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: Darlene v. David

4 hours ago, BeachDays said:

Johnny Galecki said he wants to be in more eps next season.   If next year is the last year of BBT, I can see him coming back as a regular if Roseanne is picked up past next year.    

Agreed!!

That's great! I really liked seeing him on again. Sad as things were between David and Darlene. The chemistry was still alive and kicking. Kudos to him and Sara for bringing it.

Laurie Metcalf had me laughing my butt off as Jackie.  The way she reacted to her mom having sex in the old folks home was priceless. XD The look on her face is what I'd look like as well.

Estelle Parsons did a wonderful job as Bev! Loved seeing her back on the show.

• Love 8
15 hours ago, HoboClayton said:

Darlene really needs to step it up a notch in the parenting department though. She is far too passive, and she should know better. Oh you smashed all those cakes. Now go wait in the car until your party later, and go wherever you need to go in the meantime and then show up to your party, which wasn't a party, whenever you want. 

Word. My mom wouldn't have put up with that. No party for you. Harris is such a brat. She got on my nerves.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Word. My mom wouldn't have put up with that. No party for you. Harris is such a brat. She got on my nerves.

I think the party went ahead because everyone else at home had set it up and then Roseanne, Darlene, Harris and Mary arrived to join in.  It would have been fitting if Roseanne had announced there is no party because of what Harris did at the store, but then everyone would have been bummed out and Darlene would tell her mother it's not her place to discipline her granddaughter that way.  Darlene is way too lenient and "understanding" of bratty Harris.  Harris' first priority with her long-lost father is asking him for weed?

Edited by CelticBlackCat
Added last sentence.
  • Love 6

That last moment between David & Roseanne was heartfelt, blunt, genuine, and loving -- when this show gets it right, it really gets it right.  If there's more of this in the season, I'm all in.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm reasonably certain all nine episodes of this show were filmed months ago. Kinney just checked into rehab last week IRL. 

Yes. All the articles I read about her, specifically mentioned that the show was (is) on hiatus when she checked into rehab.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

I think the party went ahead because everyone else at home had set it up and then Roseanne, Darlene, Harris and Mary arrived to join in.  It would have been fitting if Roseanne had announced there is no party because of what Harris did at the store, but then everyone would have been bummed out and Darlene would tell her mother it's not her place to discipline her granddaughter that way.  Darlene is way too lenient and "understanding" of bratty Harris.  Harris' first priority with her long-lost father is asking him for weed?

Ah. Yea but maybe she should have gotten grounded then. Her behavior was unacceptable. 

Yep. She is a winner that's for sure. (sarcastically meant) She's got a big old wake up call coming her way.

• Love 1

In the original run the characters were flawed but had charm, this time around the vast majority of them are really unlikable. 

It was great to see Bev, but her storyline was that of latter-run Bev who I didn't care for. They took the sex in the nursing home bit too far. It could have been mentioned, but no, they have to make it the reason why she was asked to leave. Over the top and ridiculous. 

I didn't buy David being a deadbeat. That seems cheap and the writers surely could have come up with a better plot regarding his absence (due to BBT). I can totally see how he and Darlene wouldn't have worked out in the long run, and I can even see him being the more flighty, non-custodial parent, but a deadbeat who hasn't seen his kids in years? 

Jackie is just annoying and over the top. Laurie Metcalf is an amazing, talented actress and there is no subtlety to her character - all exaggerated acting, facial expressions and body language. I miss Jackie from the earlier seasons.  

Rosanne has no morals. Teaching/encouraging your grandchild to steal is something else, not to mention actually stealing the dog from last weeks episode. Sure the "hit it, Mary," was for the comedy, but really attempting to shoplift and using a child as an accomplice is something else. If DJ or his wife finds out, hopefully they will refuse to allow Mary to go to the store with her grandmother again. I suppose being a thief is character continuity, so there's that I guess. (as an aside, I agree with whoever mentioned that Roseanne was at her best in the scene with David. those two really do have great onscreen chemistry). 

Dan has no business interfering with the relationship between Darlene, the kids, and their husband and father. He can express his displeasure with David, and even refuse to allow David into his home, but he's not the one who decides if and when his grandchildren can see their father. 

Harris is just a brat. Her story could be done so much better and it's understandable that a teen would have a hard time adjusting to life in a small, economically depressed town, but they're going about this one all wrong. 

Becky is a 43 year old waitress with a drinking problem who lied about her age and tried to scam a woman for money because her life hasn't worked out as hoped. (Actually, many of these character's lives haven't worked out too well. I wonder if there'll be any form of introspection from any of them as to why?) 

Darlene is too lax with Harris, but despite that, she's the most likable character on the show so far. 

• Love 10

I wonder. If Becky had been able to get pregnant, would she have been able to stop drinking? I mean people who are so hooked on alcohol that they drink it straight in the middle of the day don't just stop drinking like it's no big deal. They usually go through some kind of treatment or get some kind of help. I don't see her doing that.

• Love 3

Rosanne has no morals. Teaching/encouraging your grandchild to steal is something else, not to mention actually stealing the dog from last weeks episode. Sure the "hit it, Mary," was for the comedy, but really attempting to shoplift and using a child as an accomplice is something else. If DJ or his wife finds out, hopefully they will refuse to allow Mary to go to the store with her grandmother again. I suppose being a thief is character continuity, so there's that I guess. (as an aside, I agree with whoever mentioned that Roseanne was at her best in the scene with David. those two really do have great onscreen chemistry). 

I did like Roseanne's logic that if the store was essentially going to have her bag and scan her own groceries, she deserved bacon as payment.  But yeah, in reality, Roseanne's casual theft, and use of her granddaughter to participate in that theft, was a terrible idea. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I did like Roseanne's logic that if the store was essentially going to have her bag and scan her own groceries, she deserved bacon as payment.  But yeah, in reality, Roseanne's casual theft, and use of her granddaughter to participate in that theft, was a terrible idea. 

Was the self-service do it yourself check out lanes the only check out lanes in the store? She is still stealing. A lot of honest people use do it yourself check out lanes and do not think it gives them the right to shoplift. I do not care for the new show at all. The acting and characters are terrible in my opinion.

Edited by bigskygirl

I didn't buy David being a deadbeat. That seems cheap and the writers surely could have come up with a better plot regarding his absence (due to BBT). I can totally see how he and Darlene wouldn't have worked out in the long run, and I can even see him being the more flighty, non-custodial parent, but a deadbeat who hasn't seen his kids in years? 

I understand where you're coming from, because there's a desire to "preserve" the characters we remember 20 years ago. But Roseanne Barr is really determined that these characters reflect (what she sees as) common working class, blue collar problems. I've heard her say repeatedly over the years that if there were ever a Roseanne update it would turn out DJ had been killed in the war in Iraq. She has a very grim idea of what would realistically happen to the Conner family in the ensuing years after the show ended based on their economic situation. She doesn't want to see any of them with some kind of happily ever after, she wants them all to reflect grim hardships of life in middle America. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I understand where you're coming from, because there's a desire to "preserve" the characters we remember 20 years ago. But Roseanne Barr is really determined that these characters reflect (what she sees as) common working class, blue collar problems. I've heard her say repeatedly over the years that if there were ever a Roseanne update it would turn out DJ had been killed in the war in Iraq. She has a very grim idea of what would realistically happen to the Conner family in the ensuing years after the show ended based on their economic situation. She doesn't want to see any of them with some kind of happily ever after, she wants them all to reflect grim hardships of life in middle America. 

Yep, she has said this many times. She feels that television ignores people in the heartland who I imagine she thinks are the "real" Americans. And she's right, those people voted for Trump in droves. Usually, in the past the rustbelt was filled with union factory workers who could be counted on to vote for Democrats. Well, those good union jobs are gone and the people who used to vote Democrat now see Progressives as "Elites" who are out of touch with the average American.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 13

I think Darlene is allowing Harris to get away with all the crap she pulls because she sees herself in Harris and, one feels guilty because her kids are living the same working-class poor life that she had as a kid, and two, because she wants to parent differently than Roseanne but doesn't know what to do as Harris's behavior continues to escalate. In the original Roseanne, we got to watch Darlene grow from a cute, smart-mouthy kid to a moody, snarly teen, so we knew where she was coming from. Harris did that off-camera, in Chicago, surrounded by her friends. Now she's in a small town, with no friends, and angry as only a teenager can be. I think her behavior is pretty much what I'd expect from Darlene's daughter, but for the show's sake, I hope the writers figure out how to up the parenting and tone down the angry teen.

While I agree that it isn't Dan's place to tell David when he can see his kids, I think it's entirely in character for Dan to do so and in David's to agree.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 11

Dan didn't tell David he cannot see his children, he told him that it wasn't happening in his home (a man is the king of his castle, remember that?) and that David can wait for two weeks when he gets his own castle.  If my daughter and my two grandchildren had to move in to my home because of hard times, lost job, no husband/father to support them, I'd be pissed off as well, especially when deadbeat dad prances into the house (well, sneaks into the house through the bedroom window) and has sex with his estranged wife and thinks he's gonna come and go as he pleases.

People, remember, these are the Conners, not the PC Perfect Family you wish they were.

• Love 12

My favorite episode of this season. I like the chemistry between Sarah and Johnny. I do hope he'll be able to return for more episodes next season. I think it was a smart decision to have Darlene and David estranged. I didn't think their relationship toward the end of the original series run was good for either one of them. David came off as a milquetoast and Darlene as overbearing. I'm relieved for their characters that they aren't together.

• Love 5

Does anyone know how Johnny was even able to appear on this show from another network contract????  Or as long as CBS BBT signs off as OK they allow it?  He’s not a reoccurring character, he’s a main character....seems unprecedented.  I was amazed how his body language and dopey David voice came out...agreed he looked old and his face seemed puffy around his eyes.  Still enjoyed their scenes...very rushed and to the point but well, obviously BBT.

thought the cake punching was so Roseanne....I’ve never heard of this and it seemed so odd and random!  I’m going to go punch a cake now LOL.  Dad is confusing me and I have no coping skills....take that you stupid cake!!!  Weird.  The actress who plays Harris doesn’t have a lot of range and her posture makes me want to stretch her on a teeter.

• Love 2

Does anyone know how Johnny was even able to appear on this show from another network contract????  Or as long as CBS BBT signs off as OK they allow it?  He’s not a reoccurring character, he’s a main character....seems unprecedented.  I was amazed how his body language and dopey David voice came out...agreed he looked old and his face seemed puffy around his eyes.  Still enjoyed their scenes...very rushed and to the point but well, obviously BBT.

I'm pretty sure he only appeared here as a guest star.  It's not unprecedented.  For example, Heather Locklear recurred on Dynasty and while starring in TJ Hooker at the same time. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 3

The thing about Johnny appearing on this show is that he probably has a LOT of clout at CBS with TBBT being their biggest comedy. He's a highly paid actor who they are pretty much begging to come back year after year at the point. They're going to let him do whatever he wants if it might mean more TBBT episodes (and hence more money) for CBS. 

He makes a million dollars an episode on TBBT - he can work for free on Roseanne if he really wants to - and since he's publicly said that season 12 of TBBT is probably his last he can kind of afford to burn bridges at this point. In interviews it seems as if he's enthusiastic about more Roseanne episodes and not so enthusiastic about more TBBT episodes FWIW. CBS will do what it can to make one of its biggest stars happy for as long as it can - look at all the weird freaking hoops CBS jumped through to keep Two and a Half Men on the air. 

• Love 4

I knew how great Estelle Parsons looked and sounded from her recent role on Grace and Frankie.  But it is STILL pretty dang amazing. I thought she was a hoot tonight - love Bev!

Count me among those who also wasn't necessarily looking forward to David's return.  I actually hated him and Darlene together in the earlier seasons.  She was consistently mean to  him and seemed to take pleasure in emasculating him at every turn; and he just followed her around like a lost puppy. 

But I really liked them together tonight.  They had mad chemistry, and their bittersweet goodbye was so well done.  I definitely had tears in my eyes.  Well played, Sara and Johnny.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:42 PM, chocolatine said:

I'm so disappointed that David chose to be absent from his children's lives when he's suffered so much from his own father's abandonment. I don't care if he'd saved the entire world from poverty - his children should have always come first.

Harris is still an out-of-control brat. Just because she's upset doesn't mean she gets to destroy store property and make her mother pay for it. There should have been consequences for that. And then she asks her father if he feels guilty enough to buy her weed - especially sad considering the actress who plays Harris has checked herself into rehab last week.

I loved the interplay between Jackie and Bev - "God, please make it quick and painful, but not hereditary" - just like old times!

HA yes that was my favorite comic line.  Classic (non-Gilligan) Jackie.  

On 4/17/2018 at 11:29 PM, Miss Ruth said:

I'm still wondering how David knew which room was now Darlene's.

Well he had a 50/50 shot! ;) 

On 4/18/2018 at 1:15 AM, Lili said:

Yeah, my sister is a big fan of Shameless. I don't really watch it myself, but from what I've seen in Shameless, Emma Kenney seems to have a very similar personality in that show to Roseanne.

And talking about aging, Becky certainly doesn't look 43. I think she could pass as late 20's. Does anyone agree?

Well Other Becky certainly agrees with you! ha ha  No I don't think she looks in her 20s but she could pass for under 35.  Sarah Gilbert looks younger than 42 as well. 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Glory said:

The thing about Johnny appearing on this show is that he probably has a LOT of clout at CBS with TBBT being their biggest comedy. He's a highly paid actor who they are pretty much begging to come back year after year at the point. They're going to let him do whatever he wants if it might mean more TBBT episodes (and hence more money) for CBS. 

He makes a million dollars an episode on TBBT - he can work for free on Roseanne if he really wants to - and since he's publicly said that season 12 of TBBT is probably his last he can kind of afford to burn bridges at this point. In interviews it seems as if he's enthusiastic about more Roseanne episodes and not so enthusiastic about more TBBT episodes FWIW. CBS will do what it can to make one of its biggest stars happy for as long as it can - look at all the weird freaking hoops CBS jumped through to keep Two and a Half Men on the air. 

Roseanne is a huge hit. I don't think he will be working for free lol.

• Love 2

My guess would be his contract allows for guest appearances on shows on other networks.  He probably can't do anything that would interfere with his TBBT shooting or publicity schedule, or that would directly compete with that show, but is otherwise free to do what he wants. 

• Love 8
On 4/19/2018 at 10:17 AM, Gigglepuff said:

Teaching/encouraging your grandchild to steal is something else, not to mention actually stealing the dog from last weeks episode. Sure the "hit it, Mary," was for the comedy, but really attempting to shoplift and using a child as an accomplice is something else.

Yes.  And if you want to see something REALLY funny, just try that "beep-beep" trick at a real store and when the police arrive, you can just laugh and laugh and laugh...

Edited by UncleChuck
  • Love 2

Yeah, in real life that beep noise doesn't work.  (Not that I've tried or would even want to.)  Just to educate about the self-serve checkouts:  Every item has to be scanned and if it isn't the alarm at the exits of the store will go off.  There is also some kind of weight thing that monitors what has been on the to be processed side and the side where you're supposed to bag your own order.

I didn't know punching in cakes was a thing either!

• Love 1
On 4/19/2018 at 3:58 PM, Nysha said:think her behavior is pretty much what I'd expect from Darlene's daughter, but for the show's sake, I hope the writers figure out how to up the parenting and tone down the angry teen.

Angry, bratty teens aren’t much fun to watch but they are realistic. Most parents of teens count themselves lucky if that’s the worst they can say about their teenagers. A lot of good kids turn into teens who are abusing drugs and alcohol, getting into trouble at school or with the law or at least having major problems at home and thumbing their noses at their parents.  I get tired of seeing shows with teenagers who are unrealistically good. My friend’s ex didn’t show to pick up her daughter for the umpteenth time recently and the kid put holes in the walls in frustration. Harris just broke some cakes. 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Chuck Lorre is the executive producer of BBT and wrote for "Roseanne" during Seasons 4-5, so I think he had to sign off on anything. The biggest issue would be scheduling, so Galecki must have taped Roseanne went BBT, the rare breed of show that still does 20+ episodes a season, had a week off.

• Love 2

Supposedly Johnny could only be on one episode.  However, they didn’t have to make him a deadbeat absentee dad to make that work.  I was really disappointed in that. David was always a good guy. He might have left Darlene due to their fighting- he wouldn’t have left the kids.  

The grandkids aren’t doing a thing for me. They have no redeeming qualities like the Original Conner kids did.  Roseannes’ grocery store theft makes it hard for anybody to discipline Harris for smashing cakes. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Just to educate about the self-serve checkouts:  Every item has to be scanned and if it isn't the alarm at the exits of the store will go off.  There is also some kind of weight thing that monitors what has been on the to be processed side and the side where you're supposed to bag your own order.

Your stores must have extra security because I've missed scanning food items* and never had alarms go off. The only place I know that has alarms and self-scanning is WalMart and they only go off if a security device is put on the item and not taken off.

*I promise I go back and pay for them. 

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Ria said:

A lot of good kids turn into teens who are abusing drugs and alcohol, getting into trouble at school or with the law or at least having major problems at home and thumbing their noses at their parents.  I get tired of seeing shows with teenagers who are unrealistically good. My friend’s ex didn’t show to pick up her daughter for the umpteenth time recently and the kid put holes in the walls in frustration. Harris just broke some cakes. 

Harris has also sold stolen goods online, made plans to run away from home, and asked her father for drugs. And "just" breaking cakes that haven't been paid for is vandalism, i.e. a crime. If Darlene hadn't been there to pay for the damaged cakes, the store manager could have had Harris arrested. She's a troubled kid both by TV and real-life standards.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Yea you don't go from making a million dollars an episode starring in the biggest comedy on tv to working for free on a reboot . Not gonna happen lol 

I'm not saying he will. I'm just saying that if he is very set on being in episodes of Roseanne there are actually lots of ways it could happen. 

Edited by Glory
  • Love 5

David hasn't seen Harris presumably in years and all he brings her for her birthday is some raggedy ass t-shirt? Gee, thanks dad, you shouldn't have. Of course, then she asks him for weed, so these two aren't exactly a Norman Rockwell painting.

Eventually, the show will have to address what happened to Mark, particularly since it seems obvious that his early death had a huge impact on the (mostly downward) trajectory of both David and Becky's lives. 

Has it ever been stated what happened to the Lunch Box? Or was that retconned out of existence, like Andy? And like Fred, for that matter. I don't remember Jackie ever mentioning either her child or her ex. 

• Love 5
On 4/17/2018 at 8:29 PM, Miss Ruth said:

I'm still wondering how David knew which room was now Darlene's.

It makes sense to me that David would know that Darlene was staying in her old bedroom because it was revealed that he had had ongoing/recent contact with Roseanne.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

DJ and Mark should have been at Harris' birthday party.  Even if they weren't anywhere else in the episode.

I believe Mark had his head in the left-most cake.

3 hours ago, HamSammich said:

It makes sense to me that David would know that Darlene was staying in her old bedroom because it was revealed that he had had ongoing/recent contact with Roseanne.

Isn't that DJ's old bedroom? Harris and Mark are sharing Becky and Darlene's old double bedroom.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I believe Mark had his head in the left-most cake.

Isn't that DJ's old bedroom? Harris and Mark are sharing Becky and Darlene's old double bedroom.

Meh. Good catch and probably. I was speaking to how David would know which room Darlene was staying in.

2 hours ago, HamSammich said:

Yeah, that's what I figured as well. Darlene and/or Roseanne probably mentioned to David that she was sleeping in DJ's old room during a recent text convo or something.

• Love 3

I agree with what someone up thread said. Darlene was catty and witty but had a likeability and you knew she loved her family. Harris's teen angst is just mean and she isn't likeable. When Becky "cut the cheese" in front of the students, Darlene thought of every taunt in the book but you had the feeling she would defend Becky if she had to. Harris would probably cheer outsiders on.

I hope the actress can overcome her RL problems.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Ina123 said:

I agree with what someone up thread said. Darlene was catty and witty but had a likeability and you knew she loved her family. Harris's teen angst is just mean and she isn't likeable. When Becky "cut the cheese" in front of the students, Darlene thought of every taunt in the book but you had the feeling she would defend Becky if she had to. Harris would probably cheer outsiders on.

I hope the actress can overcome her RL problems.

Something that I realize during the rewatch, Darlene was a smart mouth who did not care that much about school until she got the writing opportunity, but she really was not that bad of a kid. She never did anything illegal and her drug use was nothing more than a little marijuana, which she did not like. She totally would not go off with some boys like Molly at that Daisy Chainsaw concert. Darlene was actually pretty tame.

• Love 7
On 4/21/2018 at 4:10 PM, DXD526 said:

Eventually, the show will have to address what happened to Mark, particularly since it seems obvious that his early death had a huge impact on the (mostly downward) trajectory of both David and Becky's lives. 

Has it ever been stated what happened to the Lunch Box? Or was that retconned out of existence, like Andy? And like Fred, for that matter. I don't remember Jackie ever mentioning either her child or her ex. 

The show can get into the specifics of these things, but they don't have to for the characters to make sense.  Mark's death happened a decade ago, and the Lunch Box could have gone under long before that.  Does the emotional impact really make a difference if Mark died in his sleep versus a horrible accident?  What's important is that he was taken away too soon.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

Something that I realize during the rewatch, Darlene was a smart mouth who did not care that much about school until she got the writing opportunity, but she really was not that bad of a kid. She never did anything illegal and her drug use was nothing more than a little marijuana, which she did not like. She totally would not go off with some boys like Molly at that Daisy Chainsaw concert. Darlene was actually pretty tame.

I'm pretty sure she admitted to doing acid or something similar a couple of times. I'd have to watch the episode again.

3 hours ago, Zoe said:

The show can get into the specifics of these things, but they don't have to for the characters to make sense.  Mark's death happened a decade ago, and the Lunch Box could have gone under long before that.  Does the emotional impact really make a difference if Mark died in his sleep versus a horrible accident?  What's important is that he was taken away too soon.

You can't blame people for wanting to know some details especially concerning the death of a character who was on the show for 7 seasons.

Anyway, the fate of the Lunch Box will be revealed next episode I believe.

Edited by tomvilchez1999
  • Love 3

Overall, a solid episode, but two things bothered me:

1.  Roseanne teaching Mary that it's ok to steal at the grocery store self checkout.  

2.  Harris smashing the grocery store cakes with no real repercussions.

Maybe it's because I used to work in a grocery store, or maybe it's because I'm just an old fuddy-duddy, but both these issues seemed to have a dark undertone and I failed to see the humor in it.

• Love 10

One of the kids on The Real Housewives of New Jersey sat on vegetable trays while Tre watched. She wasn't shown putting them in the cart.

I guess the cake punching didn't bother me because I found it randomly funny. My mom would have paid for the cakes too though;)  Totally grounded though.

• Love 1

One thing I do like about Harris is that they cast an actress who isn't 98 pounds to play her. I feel like at some point it became standard to cast size 2 actresses in everything especially as teen girls and it's nice to see a fuller-figured actress. I still remember the days of the painfully thin 90210 revival cast and I like that they went against that here.

It also makes genetic sense that Harris would be big-boned, given that she got her tall genes likely from Dan. She probably also got the bigger bone structure as well. I thought it was cute how she kind of towered over everybody in the cake scene.

• Love 8
On 4/18/2018 at 11:14 AM, qtpye said:

I have a question for the board about this episode. For some reason seeing David and Darlene again really made me miss Mark and I actually wished I could see Mark and Becky, just to see how their relationship would have progressed in the present day.

I was beginning to wonder, Roseanne was pretty forgiving and understanding of David's actions. It is clear that she loves him and has hopes that he will one day be a good father.  My question is: Do you think she would have ever been as forgiving of Mark if it was him that abandoned Becky to raise two kids on her own? I would think she would have been raging with anger and would not have welcomed him with a giant a hug.

Mark would have fought back. He had no issue going toe to toe with Roseanne when he disagreed with something, and unless he screwed up very badly, Dan (and David to an extent) would be on his side. I think even DJ would have spoken up in favor of Mark. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

One thing I do like about Harris is that they cast an actress who isn't 98 pounds to play her. I feel like at some point it became standard to cast size 2 actresses in everything especially as teen girls and it's nice to see a fuller-figured actress. I still remember the days of the painfully thin 90210 revival cast and I like that they went against that here.

It also makes genetic sense that Harris would be big-boned, given that she got her tall genes likely from Dan. She probably also got the bigger bone structure as well. I thought it was cute how she kind of towered over everybody in the cake scene.

It is also in keeping with the tradition that Roseanne cast people that did not look like they stepped off the covers of magazines. It was the only show of its time that let the characters do things like wear outfits more than once or walk around with hair that was less than perfect. It really helped to add to the authenticity of the family then and now.

• Love 12