Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

I don't care about cinematic universes for their own sake. Yes, they're all the rage now. Yes, Marvel does it pretty well. But that's more about just making good movies. The other companies haven't entirely grasped that bit yet. Even Marvel can't do it every time. So on the off-chance any Hollywood execs are reading this, just concentrate on making good movies. Linking them is perfectly acceptable, but it shouldn't be step one.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, starri said:

Serenity is a terrible movie and people need to get the hell over the fact that Firefly got canceled.

I actually prefer Serenity to Firefly.

• Love 7
(edited)
57 minutes ago, jah1986 said:

I didn't hate Suicide Squad, I'll even go so far as to say I enjoyed it.

It was enjoyable enough. I think the problem is that people were hoping they were going to get a Dark Knight Rises out of it, and the trailer made it look like it was going to be this amazing thing. Also, I imagine people were pissed that we were lead to believe that Jared Leto was the villain and instead we got...this.

Firefly honestly never interested me.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, starri said:

Serenity is a terrible movie and people need to get the hell over the fact that Firefly got canceled.

*Slow, tearful clap*

I have never, ever, ever gotten the appeal of Firefly (and by extension Serenity), and, if I may be momentarily rude, I wish everyone would shut the hell up about and quit treating me like an uncultured freak for not liking it.

• Love 5

My appreciation for Firefly is because it was kind of trapped in amber.  We got this fun space-western before Whedon could really ruin it.  I would have had no interest seeing the show go in the direction Serenity would have taken it, since it was essentially 3 or 4 seasons of Firefly crammed into a two hour movie.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Joe said:

I actually prefer Serenity to Firefly.

Me too.  I saw Serenity before Firefly and thought it was decent and fun.  Firefly just bores me to tears.  I loved BTVS and ATS back in the day, but this one just didn't work for me.  And I am real sick of hearing about it being the biggest crime against television that it was cancelled.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, starri said:

I am right there with you. Plus I'm especially tired of hearing about how it was unfair of Fox to dump it on friday night. If you actually look at the network schedule for that year, there really isn't any other night to put it. Every other option would either put it up against a much more popular show, or require Fox to move one of their popular shows (or put it up against Angel, which would make Joss Whedon cry).

• Love 2

SPECTRE is not a particularly good Bond film (better than Quantum of Solace, though), but it wins points for letting Q, Moneypenny, and M be part of the action.

And because, twenty years after Sela Ward at 40 was declared too old to be a Bond Girl, Monica Belluci at 51 and several years Daniel Craig's senior, was not, because *gasp* women in their 40s and 50s can actually be desirable.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, starri said:

And because, twenty years after Sela Ward at 40 was declared too old to be a Bond Girl, Monica Belluci at 51 and several years Daniel Craig's senior, was not, because *gasp* women in their 40s and 50s can actually be desirable.

With all due respect, I don't consider 4 years to be "several". 

Other than that, I agree with you. It sucks Sela Ward was denied her chance to be a Bond Girl, she would have been fantastic. 

Trivial UO: My favorite of Belle's dresses is the green one when the Beast gives her the library. 

• Love 1

I thought Frozen was a poorly written and constructed movie and loads of plot holes. While I didn't like the music, (listening to "Let it Go" in its entirety, I still don't understand the hype)it seemed like that and the animation was the only thing holding it together. 

• Love 7

I think Disney is getting lazy by recreating all their animated movies. I think The Incredibles and Wreck It Ralph are underrated. I hate the Disney remake of the Muppet Movie. I love the original Muppet Movie because it's so random and goofy the remake is bloated and spends too much time with characters I don't care about instead of Kermit and the gang

• Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I thought Frozen was a poorly written and constructed movie and loads of plot holes. While I didn't like the music, (listening to "Let it Go" in its entirety, I still don't understand the hype)it seemed like that and the animation was the only thing holding it together. 

Thank you! I dislike Frozen more with each passing year. Yes, I appreciate what Frozen was going for (the central relationship is between the two sisters, not a romance), but  it falls flat. It's established Anna and Elsa aren't that close and it shows, so the chemistry doesn't come through, and when Anna sacrifices herself for Elsa, my sister awesomely observed that Elsa probably wouldn't have done the same if the situation were reversed. And, jeez, isn't Idina Menzel's line reading of "You risked your life for me?" just awful?! Honey, Anna nearly died for you, you want to up the emotion and pathos a notch?! She gave you your life, not a Starbucks gift card! 

And I hate the trolls. HATE. Like, sic the Incredible Hulk on them hate.

I greatly prefer Tangled and Moana, warts and all. Rapunzel's way more fun as a character, and Moana is more badass (hey, she didn't abandon her responsibilities like a little bitch).

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 5

When watching Frozen, I thought it was very clear they planned Elsa to be the villain and then changed their minds halfway through filming.  I like the change, but just wish they had gone back to the beginning to clean it up afterwards.  Instead, we got "hide your gifts" lessons and orphaned children and a messed-up sister relationship that doesn't quite flow into Anna's sacrifice.

• Love 5
On 6/22/2017 at 7:08 AM, starri said:

SPECTRE is not a particularly good Bond film (better than Quantum of Solace, though), but it wins points for letting Q, Moneypenny, and M be part of the action.

I feel like in the last ten years there's been a major shift in thoughts about that, as plastic surgery/youth-extension technology has improved and people like J. Lo, Cameron Diaz, and Jennifer Anniston have managed to keep playing sexy/desirable women. 40 in 1997 doesn't seem to be the same as 40 in 2017.

• Love 2
On 6/23/2017 at 9:18 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I feel like in the last ten years there's been a major shift in thoughts about that, as plastic surgery/youth-extension technology has improved and people like J. Lo, Cameron Diaz, and Jennifer Anniston have managed to keep playing sexy/desirable women. 40 in 1997 doesn't seem to be the same as 40 in 2017.

And a part of me hates that because I really think it encourages actresses to undergo a lot of plastic surgery and makes their faces look weird.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

And a part of me hates that because I really think it encourages actresses to undergo a lot of plastic surgery and makes their faces look weird.

Goldie Hawn is creepy looking now.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Goldie Hawn is creepy looking now.

I wish they would hire people who choose to age naturally, like Debra Winger, and do it more regularly. I really think they underestimate the audience accepting of older actresses. 

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I wish they would hire people who choose to age naturally, like Debra Winger, and do it more regularly. I really think they underestimate the audience accepting of older actresses. 

Yes.  I remember poor Kim Novak at the Oscars and when she walked out on stage, I gasped looking at her face.  It looked like she was wearing a grotesque mask because her face was blown up and it looked like it had been botoxed to death.  Or something.  There was a lot of press about it afterwards and I felt so bad for her because she seemed so excited to be there when she walked on stage--only to be ridiculed later.  She was a beautiful woman and I wish she could have just aged naturally, or maybe a little nip and tuck around the eyes, but she went too far.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Yes.  I remember poor Kim Novak at the Oscars and when she walked out on stage, I gasped looking at her face.  It looked like she was wearing a grotesque mask because her face was blown up and it looked like it had been botoxed to death.  Or something.  There was a lot of press about it afterwards and I felt so bad for her because she seemed so excited to be there when she walked on stage--only to be ridiculed later.  She was a beautiful woman and I wish she could have just aged naturally, or maybe a little nip and tuck around the eyes, but she went too far.

I've never been a Kim Novak fan; in fact, I dislike her quite a bit (despite my love for Vertigo), but she had my sympathy when Donald Trump trash-talked her appearance on Twitter. Yeah, he's one to talk.

Look, whatever actresses choose to do to their bodies and faces is their business, and if it keeps them from pissing and moaning about their looks, then all the better. Still, I hope they know that Botox takes its toll and will impede their acting. Nicole Kidman is free to pump all the food poisoning into her brain cavity as she sees fit, but when you compare her bland, frozen facial expression in the trailer for The Beguiled remake, and compare it to the wonderfully complex, far superior and effective performance given by Geraldine Page (who, never being considered a "beauty", was free to age naturally) in the original, well...

On the other hand, whenever I think of Tom Cruise in his recent and upcoming movies, pathetically trying to swim upstream with his fillers, veneers, and hair plugs (come on, no man has that much hair at 55), I can't help but beam with schadenfreude. 

• Love 6

Am I the only person in the world that doesn't see what was so great about Sam Raimi's Spider Man 2?!

Seriously. It had good moments, and I might be biased because of my unrelenting hatred for the bitch-twit they turned MJ into, but I really didn't think it was the awesome sequel everyone claims it to be.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Am I the only person in the world that doesn't see what was so great about Sam Raimi's Spider Man 2?!

Seriously. It had good moments, and I might be biased because of my unrelenting hatred for the bitch-twit they turned MJ into, but I really didn't think it was the awesome sequel everyone claims it to be.

You aren't. I hated all three Raimi Spidey movies. Because of those, I didn't watch the Garfield ones. Tom Holland was terrible in Civil War, and the trailer for Homecoming was so cringe-inducing I couldn't watch the whole thing. So it's my belief that Spider-Man just doesn't work in movies.

• Love 1

OK, I never have any interest in Minions nor do I want to see any movies, commercials,etc. that they may appear in! Can we at least take a break from them for a little while?

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't like Lost in Translation. Charlotte is a boring bored woman and casting Scarlett Johansson in the role did the character no favor. Staring does not equal depth. Everything about her relationship with Bill Murray's character is cringey, especially the age difference. And I'm sorry but the fish-out-of-water angle reads more like casual racism a lot of the time. I don't care what he whispered to her at the end and hate that that's treated like one of the great mysteries of modern film.

It was beautifully shot.

Edited by slf
  • Love 13
(edited)
2 minutes ago, slf said:

I don't like Lost in Translation. Charlotte is a boring bored woman and casting Scarlett Johansson in the role did the character no favor. Staring does not equal depth. Everything about her relationship with Bill Murray's character is cringey, especially the age difference. And I'm sorry but the fish-out-of-water angle reads more like casual racism a lot of the time. I don't care what he whispered to her at the end and hate that that's treated like one of the great mysteries of modern film.

It was beautifully shot.

Lost in Translation's title should be changed to Tokyo is Wasted on the Wrong People. Seriously, if I were in one of the most exciting cities in the world, you can bet your next paycheck I wouldn't be moping around my hotel room in my undies.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK, I never have any interest in Minions nor do I want to see any movies, commercials,etc. that they may appear in! Can we at least take a break from them for a little while?

So you're saying because you don't like them, they shouldn't make movies about them?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Lost in Translation's title should be changed to Tokyo is Wasted on the Wrong People. Seriously, if I were in one of the most exciting cities in the world, you can bet your next paycheck I wouldn't be moping around my hotel room in my undies.

Exactly. I would be all over that city. It's a beautiful and vibrant city with a pretty friendly population and a lot to offer. A friend who went there a few years ago, who is very introverted, said it was one of the best places she's ever been to; when she wanted to be around people and have fun there were countless opportunities but that there was also plenty of interesting things to do when she wanted to explore on her own. WTF Charlotte's problem was I neither know nor care. It's one of those movies that think ennui is meaningful and interesting if suffered by attractive white people.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

7 hours ago, Blergh said:

4 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

So you're saying because you don't like them, they shouldn't make movies about them?

No. However;   let me put it this way: if they DID decide to quit making movies/commercials featuring  them for the foreseeable future, I'd raise no objections.

• Love 1

S-M2 was absolutely overrated. Doc Oc was a B:TAS Mr. Freeze/Two-Face hybrid for no good reason (dead wife motivation plus multiple personalities) and the Mary Jane fiancee was horrendously underdeveloped. They could have done something with him and never did.

Firefly is overrated but cute for what it is. I think people fixated on it because, as was said, it's frozen in amber.

Can I say Nolan's Bat films were overrated? They were. The first was meh, the second was not for me and I still haven't seen the third.

I also don't care about the Guardians. Sorry. Take away the fun music and you just have a meh space adventure.

On 6/23/2017 at 8:46 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

And I hate the trolls. HATE. Like, sic the Incredible Hulk on them hate.

If you mean the trolls from Frozen, ITA.  They were jerks.  Like that "Fixer upper" song?  "So, our boy's a piece of shit, but hey, you can totally fix him up!"  You could tell they were desperate to have him married off to a fellow human and not a troll, but did they have to use such a mean spirited song to get that point across?

UO: I am so sick of biopics.  At this point, I don't care who's starring in them.  They're just a blatant attempt to win an Oscar, and it's embarrassing. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

If you mean the trolls from Frozen, ITA.  They were jerks.  Like that "Fixer upper" song?  "So, our boy's a piece of shit, but hey, you can totally fix him up!"  You could tell they were desperate to have him married off to a fellow human and not a troll, but did they have to use such a mean spirited song to get that point across?

I despise the phrase "fixer upper" and the concept that women feel the need to "fix" a guy to meet her expectations. 

• Love 7
On 6/25/2017 at 6:04 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

Tragically, I don't think they underestimate audiences' acceptance of older actresses. 

Has Debra Winger not had much work done?  I saw The Lovers recently and did so enjoy watching someone who looked like an actual human female more or less her age. 

On 6/25/2017 at 7:40 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I've never been a Kim Novak fan; in fact, I dislike her quite a bit (despite my love for Vertigo),

I don't like Vertigo because of Kim Novak.  She seemed like a mouth breather and I just didn't get the appeal.

On 7/9/2017 at 6:46 PM, DisneyBoy said:

S-M2 was absolutely overrated. Doc Oc was a B:TAS Mr. Freeze/Two-Face hybrid for no good reason

Is this in code or something?

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Is this in code or something?

Spider-Man 2 was absolutely overrated.  Doctor Octopus (the main villain) was a hybrid of two Batman: The Animated Series villains, Mr. Freeze and Two-Face, for no good reason.

• Love 4
(edited)

I just saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for the first time.  I had been really looking forward to this one (I'm slowing making my way through both of AFI's top 100 lists) and I was just so disappointed.  Mostly because, as Nurse Ratched's reputation preceded itself, I was expecting American Horror Story Asylum (minus the Nazi Doctor experiments and serial killers of course) levels of mistreatment but all I got was a lady doing her job.  The fact that McMurphy didn't like it was all on him and the fact that he didn't like that his actions have consequences is also all on him.  Sure, Ratched was rigid and buttoned up, and she was probably power tripping when it came to not letting McMurphy watch the World Series, but I'm supposed to feel bad for the guy who's faking mental illness to get out of jail because he can't watch a baseball game?  (And why was a nurse running a group therapy session anyway?  Shouldn't that be done by a psychiatrist?  It was 1975 so maybe that's how it was done then?). And to someone without mental illness all that structure would seem excessive but most of those patients were there for a reason so I didn't see any gross misuse of power when it came to how the residents were treated.  They all seemed relatively content before McMurphy even showed up.  (Chemically restrained?  Maybe.  But not that we saw on the ward.). And McMurphy was no more a prisoner there than he would have been in jail anyway.  Plus his actions probably got Turkle fired.  Now don't get me wrong, I am against what ultimately happened to him, and no one deserves that, but he's hardly a sympathetic figure.  Instead, he's a child whining because mom wouldn't let him have ice cream for dinner.

ETA: She did not handle the Bibbit situation appropriately and if you want to blame her for the ultimate fallout of the situation fine. However, that scene should have been a culmination of all the emotional and psychological abuse she was supposedly heaping upon the residents when it was really the only time we witness her do so.  Not that that excuses her actions, but at the same time it was almost an out of character moment.  As for McMurphy, the outcome was not his fault but again, instead of reflecting how his actions have consequences, he lashes out against authority.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 5

I'm watching Dr. Zhivago right now and it occurred to me that I never liked it all that much.  I thought it was way too long, but the thing that annoyed me the most was that they played that damn song, Lara's Theme, over and over and over again throughout the movie and it drove me nuts.  I'm switching channels right now, lol.  

They did the same thing with the theme song from Lawrence of Arabia, just played it over and over and over again.  Recently I read a critic's review of one of my favorite movies, The Sterile Cuckoo, where he complained about Come Saturday Morning being played too often throughout the movie.  I hadn't thought about it before, but now whenever I watch the movie I'm reminded of what the critic wrote, and it kind of spoils it for me because he was right. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The best use of the Larewnce of Arabia theme is Homer Simpson singing "Thirsty.  I am so thirsty." while lost in the desert in Jerusalem.  I sing that one myself all the time.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 3

Found Footage is a great genre.  It only suffers because while it's easy to do, it's almost impossible to do well.  The only ones who have ever stuck the landing are Blair Witch, the first and third Paranormal Activity's, the Spanish movie [*REC], and maybe Cloverfield depending on my mood.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am a fan of romantic comedies, but I thoroughly disliked "Love Actually". I didn't enjoy any of the story lines, except the one with Bill Nighy, because he's just charming, and didn't find any of them all that romantic. And, despite the fact that I love political satire and laugh as our presidents are skewered on Saturday Night Live and other TV shows and movies, I was oddly offended by the portrayal of the U.S. president in this movie. I think the character was supposed to be a cross between GW Bush and Bill Clinton. Apparently, they took the least attractive qualities of each and just meshed them together, while having the charisma-challenged Billy Bob Thornton play him and making the U.K. PM a so much more attractive character in comparison. It seemed heavy-handed and mean spirited rather than genuinely satirical.

Edited by Nidratime
  • Love 7
(edited)

I have zero interest in seeing Dunkirk.

I don't get the appeal of Andrew Garfield.

On 7/18/2017 at 8:22 AM, Nidratime said:

I am a fan of romantic comedies, but I thoroughly disliked "Love Actually". I didn't enjoy any of the story lines, except the one with Bill Nighy, because he's just charming, and didn't find any of them all that romantic. And, despite the fact that I love political satire and laugh as our presidents are skewered on Saturday Night Live and other TV shows and movies, I was oddly offended by the portrayal of the U.S. president in this movie. I think the character was supposed to be a cross between GW Bush and Bill Clinton. Apparently, they took the least attractive qualities of each and just meshed them together, while having the charisma-challenged Billy Bob Thornton play him and making the U.K. PM a so much more attractive character in comparison. It seemed heavy-handed and mean spirited rather than genuinely satirical.

I loved the movie, but there were a couple of things that bugged me and that was one of them.  I also disliked the characterization of the women in America when that young man got to Wisconsin (not that they loved his accent, though--I could buy that).  My UO about Love Actually is that, with the exception of the fat jokes about Aurelia's sister, her's and Jamie's story line was my favorite.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 7
On 7/18/2017 at 11:22 AM, Nidratime said:

18 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I loved the movie, but there were a couple of things that bugged me and that was one of them.  I also disliked the characterization of the women in America when that young man got to Wisconsin (not that they loved his accent, though--I could buy that).  My UO about Love Actually is that, with the exception of the fat jokes about Aurelia's sister, her's and Jamie's story line was my favorite.

The biggest problem with Love Actually is that it made me angry with Alan Rickman and that is just not okay.

• Love 9

I also disliked the characterization of the women in America when that young man got to Wisconsin (not that they loved his accent, though--I could buy that).

Yeah, that really bugged me as well. Made the women look like sex-crazed idiots.

• Love 4

I have zero interest in seeing Dunkirk.

I don't get the appeal of Andrew Garfield.

I'm assuming these are two separate comments, since Andrew Garfield isn't in Dunkirk?

I haven't seen it yet, but the review I read this morning said that Dunkirk is the best movie of the year.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

I'm assuming these are two separate comments, since Andrew Garfield isn't in Dunkirk?

Yes.  I just thought of Andrew Garfield because someone in another thread mentioned Hacksaw Ridge (which was an inspiring movie, but still, I found Andrew Garfield kind of 'meh').

It may be the best movie of the decade, but I'm rarely entertained by WWI and II movies and have decided to stop even trying.  It's just not my genre.  I'm much more interested in the political atmosphere surrounding the 60s and 70s: Vietnam, Watergate, the Kennedys, the protests, civil rights, women's rights, etc.......

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

My UO about Love Actually is that, with the exception of the fat jokes about Aurelia's sister, her's and Jamie's story line was my favorite.

Well, yes, because Colin Firth.

• Love 8

An awesome thread, let the venting begin :)

Never been a fan of Julia Roberts—can’t stand her loud, fake laugh or her huge unattractive smile that you just know she practices in the mirror.  I’m always amazed when her fans talk about how her character didn’t end up with the guy in My Best Friend’s Wedding in this shocked tone.  Did they actually watch the movie?  Roberts’s character deliberately sets out to destroy an obviously happy and deeply in love couple just because she decides she wants to be with the future groom and they think that’s the actions of a rootable romantic heroine?

La La Land is an over-hyped pretentious movie about two unpleasant people and I’m still in shock that Emma Stone won an Oscar for it.  And what’s with this business of calling her a triple threat?  I sat through that nightmare of a film and I saw an actress who couldn’t sing or dance and basically played herself.  How is this a threat?

• Love 14
3 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I’m always amazed when her fans talk about how her character didn’t end up with the guy in My Best Friend’s Wedding in this shocked tone.  Did they actually watch the movie?  Roberts’s character deliberately sets out to destroy an obviously happy and deeply in love couple just because she decides she wants to be with the future groom and they think that’s the actions of a rootable romantic heroine?

Hell, my favorite part of the movie was when her best friend told her that Michael had made his choice, to knock it off and cut her losses.  Usually, we get the best friend who tries to help, sometimes reluctantly, but this guy was great.  He told her how it was and was still there in the end to support her.  He was the best character in the movie, imo. 

• Love 22