Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

On 4/7/2017 at 0:45 AM, DisneyBoy said:

You don't even like Lumiere? Lumiere Is awesome. The original animated one of course.

I also have no desire to see the live-action Beauty and the Beast. If Emma Watson can't sing, why is she playing Belle? If the movie can't improve on the backgrounds from the animated film, why is it even being made? I saw a brief glimpse from the Something There scene and was really disappointed by how fake the topiaries behind the Beast looked. I mean at this point live action movies are animated movies anyways with all the CGI happening, so there isn't even the thrill of seeing the animated sets done for real. It just bums me out.

Here's my UO: In spite of all of the superhero movies that are being made, I have no passion for superhero movies anymore it seems. Back in the day when we got a Batman or Batman Returns once every few years and were lucky to have a show like Lois & Clark playing on our TV screens, I would have freaked out at the possibility that studios might start making multiple superhero films every year. But at this point they've all mushed together. We are now seeing our what...third Spider-Man? Our third Batman? Sorry - make that our fifth Batman. If they were sticking to making superhero movies with a unique vision the way Burton did for example then maybe I could get excited about them. But it just feels like these movies are getting made because Hollywood is creatively bankrupt and knows that there's a big comic book audience out there. I mean, I still haven't seen the Avengers for pity's sake! And everybody raves about that movie. But I'm just not especially interested.

That's the other thing - people will always say a movie is good for the first few weeks after it comes out and only about two months later will they admit that the movie was only so-so and that they bought into the hype. And then about six months later everyone will admit the movie was a total piece of crap...as if they weren't raving about it the week it first came out. I just have no faith in reviews anymore or even word of mouth.

I was hoping the quote would include the original quote, because I'm with you both. Cocteau's La Belle et la Bête is extraordinary, in a dark, broody, melancholic way, and is much more faithful to the original story. It's the equivalent of the children books of centuries ago that were scary, maybe you could never be sure there would be a happy ending. The atmosphere of that movie is very unique, it's truly a work of art.

Disney's version, of course, is a totally different genre. Campy, whimsical, with just a tiny drop of gravitas to make the ending feel deserved. Still, it is well done, and one that I was happy to discover when my son was in kindergarten (otherwise, I would have missed it). These "newer" (back then) Disney cartoons were new to me, I think I had stopped watching them at Oliver's Story, but it was nice to see them, after I had exhausted my favorites such as The Aristocats, which my still be my number one Disney ever, or rediscovered old and slightly disturbing movies I had seen as a child, such as Pinocchio or Dumbo - come to think of it, these was as dark as the original tales -, and I think of the new batch Beauty and the Beast was my favorite.

I find it sad that Disney cartoons progressively left the field to animated movies, and that now they might cede the spot to real life action movies more and more often. While I think the various types should be able to cohabit, I feel that each new technology relegates the previous one to the dark ages. (Kind of like silent movies, black and white, color). I do hope kids today still watch "classics", as I call them. So my problem with life action remakes of animated movies or cartoons is that I feel that the most recent version, just by being more often showed on TV or appearing more prominently on streaming services, will eclipse older formats/versions, and that is what I think is a shame.

Moving on to superhero movies, with the exception of Batman (and mostly Burton's) series, because of its own very special universe, and Lois and Clarke, and maybe the first Iron Man (but who am I kidding? I was mostly watching for Robert Downey Jr.), they feel very repetitive and formulaic to me too. I tried watching The Avengers, I really tried (on TV), but after 40 minutes and with nothing keeping me engaged, I bailed. Weirdly enough, I did like cartoon X-Men, but the movies didn't do them justice I thought (I saw one, with young professor Xavier) and omitted some of the characters I liked the most.

And why did I stick with the Avengers for that long? Because it had had rave reviews!!!! Haha.

• Love 2

I feel that the most recent version, just by being more often showed on TV or appearing more prominently on streaming services, will eclipse older formats/versions, and that is what I think is a shame.

That's for the viewing public to decide. There's been plenty of big deal movies forgotten in the last 10 years because they just weren't very good in spite of all the hype and people stopped caring about them. I have faith that these live-action remakes, while I'm sure they will live on because Disney will never let us forget them, will never completely eclipse the animated Classics because the animated Classics continue to have a lot of support - there are massive amounts of merchandise out there and the characters are populating theme parks around the world. Kids these days may not have the relationship with Mickey Mouse that kids in the fifties or sixties did but he's still a recognizable icon. I think the same will hold true for even the Disney characters of the nineties 50 years from now.

I honestly think parents will continue to show their kids the animated films over the live-action ones. I hope our generation isn't the last to know and appreciate the magic of hand-drawn animation, but if we show these films to our children and nieces and nephews and grandchildren, they will love them and appreciate the art form and not just buy into whatever hype is currently being marketed to them.

The cream rises to the top, right?

• Love 2

The cream rises to the top indeed, but still your argument that I find the most convincing is the massive amount of merchandise and the theme parks :) Not (just) because I'm sometimes cynical, but because I've seen many great movies survive but only within a small segment of cinephiles, after mediocre remakes become well known but rightly don't generate the same enthusiasm and the original version gets tainted by the same brush. Hope you're right, though, truly.  

The hottest of takes:  For all the crap he's gotten over the last fifteen years or so, George Lucas has made amazing contributions to the film industry.  While it wasn't the company we know today, Pixar wouldn't exist without his founding of the Graphics Group within Lucasfilm (before selling it to Steve Jobs to avoid bankruptcy), and it's hard to image a world where they don't exist.  Industrial Light and Magic revolutionized special effects.  THX did the same for sound.  And Star Wars is the most significant contribution to American mythology of the 20th century, except for possibly DC Comics.

• Love 14

Well said.

UO: I didn't like The Dark Knight or Ledger's Joker. He was more of a terrorist/psycho to me than a Mistah J. I never laughed at his performance and the lip-licking made me crazy. Also: I loathe the makeup, which looks cheap and is sadly often imitated now come Halloween. Greasy hair? Yay! Just what we wanted to see in cosplay.

I also hated what that movie did with Two-Face, if we can even call him that. Just hated the whole thing really, and everytime people fall over themselves proclaiming it the greatest, I hate it more.

• Love 4

Agree.  I'm all for adulting up the themes but at the end of the day these are still movies about a grown man who dresses up like a giant bat.  They need to take a page from their own book and ask "Why so serious?" The dark knight movies are fine, but not the be all and end all of my superhero enjoyment.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 6
19 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

UO: I didn't like The Dark Knight or Ledger's Joker. He was more of a terrorist/psycho to me than a Mistah J. I never laughed at his performance and the lip-licking made me crazy. Also: I loathe the makeup, which looks cheap and is sadly often imitated now come Halloween. Greasy hair? Yay! Just what we wanted to see in cosplay.

My cousin, an otherwise lovely and sensible woman, dressed her 2-year-old son as Heath Ledger's Joker last Halloween.

Okay, parents, a little advice: if you're going for a DC themed Halloween, do not dress your toddler son up as Heath Ledger's Joker (or Jared Leto, or Jack Nicholson)! It's just creepy and horrible! If you must go with the Joker, dress him up instead as Caesar Romero's paunchy, unthreatening Joker from the goofy 1960s TV series! 

• Love 3

Funny. It reminds me of the time my mother thought it would be a good idea to dress up my little sister as a clown for carnival (I grew up in Germany, no Halloween at the time). The costume was fine. But you should have seen and heard the waterworks when she saw herself in the mirror with the clown face painted on. This is how clown phobias are created.

• Love 3

Okay, here goes.......I don't like The Princess Bride. Cary Elwes is too pretty, Robin Wright isn't pretty enough, to me, the only good part was Andre the Giant, and that's only because he was just being Andre the Giant.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, SherriAnt said:

Okay, here goes.......I don't like The Princess Bride. Cary Elwes is too pretty, Robin Wright isn't pretty enough, to me,

This is something that bugged me about the live action Beauty and the Beast (which I liked, but didn't love):  While I think Emma Watson is talented and certainly pretty, I don't think she's a stunning beauty whose "looks have no parallel".  Nor did I think Gaston was swoon worthy, although, I liked the actor and think he did a good job in the role.

• Love 6

Inspirational sports movies bore the everloving you-know-what out of me. Always. I remember my mom putting Rudy on one afternoon and I'm pretty sure I fell asleep; it's one of those films I've seen parts of repeatedly but have never watched the whole thing thank god. We Are Marshall, When the Game Stands Tall, all of them. The only sports movies I've ever liked were A League of Their Own and the Mighty Ducks movies (you can judge me, I don't care).

I feel like such a crappy feminist for not liking A League of Their Own. It's not just that I find the screenplay sloppy (Lori Petty's presence also doesn't help), but I loathe baseball. Loathe. No one can make it entertaining for me. I don't watch baseball for real, I'm sure as hell not going to watch it in a movie.

Rudy's all right, I guess, but considering what the real life Rudy's been up to in recent years... kinda takes the shine off it. 

Look, I just don't like sports or most sports movies, okay? I found Hoosiers corny and obnoxiously inaccurate, and I have never seen a single Mighty Ducks movie (yeah, I'm a 90s kids, so what?). I think the only sports movies I really like are Horsefeathers, Seabiscuit, and Pat and Mike.

This is something that bugged me about the live action Beauty and the Beast (which I liked, but didn't love):  While I think Emma Watson is talented and certainly pretty, I don't think she's a stunning beauty whose "looks have no parallel".  Nor did I think Gaston was swoon worthy, although, I liked the actor and think he did a good job in the role.

Emma Watson's looks didn't bother me, but her acting and singing sure did. She was so drab and lifeless, totally Mia Wasikowska'd her way through the role. As for her singing, all that auto-tuning, that's the best they could come up with?! All I can say is I'll never make fun of Katy Perry again. 

Luke Evans was an awful Gaston: no bravado, no charisma, no necessary menace (he seemed, dare I say, too reasonable at times), and, I hate to say it, nowhere near good-looking enough. How bad is he? Donny friggin' Osmond is a better Gaston. I'm not even kidding, look up clips, he outclasses Evans effortlessly.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 1

My cousin, an otherwise lovely and sensible woman, dressed her 2-year-old son as Heath Ledger's Joker last Halloween.

Yipes. Yeah no. Sorry cuz!

Emma Watson's looks didn't bother me, but her acting and singing sure did. She was so drab and lifeless, totally Mia Wasikowska'd her way through the role. As for her singing, all that auto-tuning, that's the best they could come up with?! All I can say is I'll never make fun of Katy Perry again. 

Luke Evans was an awful Gaston: no bravado, no charisma, no necessary menace (he seemed, dare I say, too reasonable at times), and, I hate to say it, nowhere near good-looking enough. How bad is he? Donny friggin' Osmond is a better Gaston. I'm not even kidding, look up clips, he outclasses Evans effortlessly.

See? These were the comments I knew were coming down the pike after the initial buzz and hype died down.

Nothing against people who like this movie but why is it folks always swear something is great even when there are plainly visible problems? I could see from the trailer that he probably wasnt a great choice...

Sorry. I'm just so annoyed that word of mouth is so unreliable these days.

Edited by DisneyBoy
14 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

See? These were the comments I knew were coming down the pike after the initial buzz and hype died down.

Nothing against people who like this movie but why is it folks always swear something is great even when there are plainly visible problems? I could see from the trailer that he probably wasnt a great choice...

Sorry. I'm just so annoyed that word of mouth is so unreliable these days.

Well, if its consistency you want, you should come over here and meet me. :-)

I admit to being one of those people who can watch a movie a dozen times and never get bored with it, problems or no problems, but it seems like you're complaining that people change their minds about liking something. Particularly when the movie-going public seems practically contractually obligated to never be happy with anything. For me, the surprise is when most people seem pleased with a movie, whether its casting or pacing or whatever else, not when they're like, Well, that was awful.

• Love 9

It's perfectly okay to change one's mind about movies.

On a related UO, I was fine with the new Beauty and the Beast, warts and all, and I thought Emma Watson was good as Belle. But then, my opinion might be biased considering how much I lowered my standards after Maleficent completely ruined Sleeping Beauty, or worse, the Rumbelle trainwreck on Once Upon A Time. 

I may be a little less open-minded when it comes to the upcoming live-action Aladdin because that is my favorite Disney cartoon of all time.

• Love 5

I didn't realize it was unpopular to not like A League of Their Own.  I didn't like it because it was dull. 

On 4/14/2017 at 9:38 PM, slf said:

Inspirational sports movies bore the everloving you-know-what out of me. Always.

Heh, this is how I feel about war movies.  "Oh look, more shooting, blood and death.  Yawn".  I don't know what is.   I remember when Saving Private Ryan came out and all the talk was the Omaha Beach scene and OMG it was so tense and gruesome and true to life and I was so bored watching it.  

I feel the same way about James Bond - zzzzzz.  Could never get into those movies, doesn't matter who is playing Bond.

• Love 3

...But then, my opinion might be biased considering how much I lowered my standards after Maleficent completely ruined Sleeping Beauty...

Do not let that movie ruin anything for you. Maleficent was a mess and a vanity project and a cash grab. Sleeping Beauty is a masterpiece. Love it and forget everything about the Angelina Jolie.

• Love 4

Another genre that bores me to tears is the western. Maybe it's because my mom, grandma, and grandpa made me watch so many when I was kid? I do still associate them with the feeling of being trapped indoors, bored, during summer. But also, I just hate them. The glowering, the hilarious drunk womanizer stock character, the revenge/justice/honor seeking, the 'bromances', the glowering, the near total whitewashing of the American west, the usually one-note villain, the unimaginative set design and cinematography, the boring shoot-outs, the glowering, the two roles women get: the good woman who is supportive of her man and will defend her 'stead with a shotgun or the whore. Haaate. It's even worse if it's an old western (tho Maureen O'Hara was always aces and I love her to this day).

Maverick, Lonesome Dove, Unforgiven, Once Upon A Time in the West, The Magnificent Seven, Dances with Wolves, etc. Tombstone I hated least but still.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, slf said:

Another genre that bores me to tears is the western. Maybe it's because my mom, grandma, and grandpa made me watch so many when I was kid? I do still associate them with the feeling of being trapped indoors, bored, during summer. But also, I just hate them. The glowering, the hilarious drunk womanizer stock character, the revenge/justice/honor seeking, the 'bromances', the glowering, the near total whitewashing of the American west, the usually one-note villain, the unimaginative set design and cinematography, the boring shoot-outs, the glowering, the two roles women get: the good woman who is supportive of her man and will defend her 'stead with a shotgun or the whore. Haaate. It's even worse if it's an old western (tho Maureen O'Hara was always aces and I love her to this day).

Maverick, Lonesome Dove, Unforgiven, Once Upon A Time in the West, The Magnificent Seven, Dances with Wolves, etc. Tombstone I hated least but still.

I've seen Tombstone more times than I can count...I've only recently come to the realization that Val Kilmer is the only thing I'm really watching lol. His performance is brilliant.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Qoass said:

And I wish that women who have so much talent and potential would not be labeled as out there and difficult for being passionate about their work.  Men can throw phones and sexually harass their co-workers but instead of being black-balled, they get Oscars.

This is from the Need A Good Cry thread re Debra Winger, but its related to a peeve of mine as a more general thing. It might be better suited to the Gender In Movies thread, but I'm pretty sure its going to be a UO, so here we are.

I don't know that much specifically about Ms. Winger's problem's on-set, but for a more current example let's consider Katherine Heigl. She had a good career going for a while, and then it more or less imploded because she was "difficult". As was said in the 'future of movie stars' thread, you can bite Judd Apatow's hand or you can bite Shonda Rimes', but you can't do both. As counterpoint, I could mention Alex Pettyfer, but the argument can always be made that Pettyfer never got the chance to really make it before his career imploded due to him being difficult.

This has come up in the TV section as well, whether or not the solution is to never call women out for anything, and I don't think it is, which may be unpopular.. I also don't think the solution is a whole slew of Alex Pettyfers, since he's not even 30 yet and will probably never get the chance again to show off what little acting talent he may have. But for every Alex Pettyfer, there's a Humphrey Bogart, who was a bad-tempered alcoholic that picked fights on-set, and he won  the Sour Apple award in 1949 for being the least cooperative actor that year. Its not really a compliment if they give you an award for being a jerk. It's more like winning at the Razzies.

People were dissing forty year old Bradley Cooper a couple of years ago for being paired up with the likes of Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence, and people diss fifty-four year old Tom Cruise for still playing leading man roles, and that's not a compliment either, IMO. I don't think much of Cruise because of the Scientology stuff, but he hardly needs a walker. And of course, it'd bring up the whole "men versus women" thing if you even suggest that a forty year old woman is maybe too old for thus and such a role. But it always seems to come to that, and I'm just annoyed by it anymore.

• Love 1

What about Vin Diesel?  He is by all accounts a complete asshole on set.  The Fast & Furious movies continue only because they make a ton of money.  He doesn't work much outside of them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

This has come up in the TV section as well, whether or not the solution is to never call women out for anything, and I don't think it is, which may be unpopular..

Since no one actually suggested that solution, I'd say it's not.

• Love 10
On 4/15/2017 at 5:51 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I've never seen the animated B&TB so I have nothing to compare it to, but Gaston was my favorite part of the live action B&TB.  I hated the Beast.  He was such an a$$hole as the prince in the beginning that I found it impossible to root for him and the actor wasn't even attractive.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, starri said:

What about Vin Diesel?  He is by all accounts a complete asshole on set.  The Fast & Furious movies continue only because they make a ton of money.  He doesn't work much outside of them.

He was the voice of Groot in both Guardians of the Galaxy movies.  He's also playing Groot in the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War movie.  He's in several Riddick movies, including a new one coming up, and he's been in two xXx movies. He was in The Last Witch Hunter, and in Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.

• Love 3

Vin Diesel is untalented. This shouldn't be an unpopular opinion-but IDC because it's mine and I'm posting it. I won't ever bother watching the B&B movie, but I am disappointed to hear Luke Evans made a poor Gaston. He would've been the only reason I would have bothered to watch the movie. I do think he's highly underrated, for the most part.

6 hours ago, partofme said:

I've never seen the animated B&TB so I have nothing to compare it to, but Gaston was my favorite part of the live action B&TB.  I hated the Beast.  He was such an a$$hole as the prince in the beginning that I found it impossible to root for him and the actor wasn't even attractive.

Oh wait....so I guess it's a YMMV thing? I still won't watch the movie-LOL-it just isn't my thing-at all. But I do love LE.

Edited by IWantCandy71
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

My favorite westerns are technically anti-westerns: The Big Country, High Noon, and the 2010 True Grit. I also like them because they have interesting female characters.

What do you mean by anti-western?  I've seen two out of three of those, and I consider them both to be typical westerns. You don't have to have a shoot out in the middle of town, or a "Mexican standoff" for it to be a western. In fact, my late film professor said that sci fi movies are just westerns set in space, and I totally agree. But then, westerns and movies set in space are simply a basic form of one of the generic types of fiction conflicts. The setting matters little-it's the story you tell that counts. And every good story is simply about someone having a goal, something or someone getting in the way of that goal-and either the hero wins or he doesn't, but he must grow and change and be different by the end. To me, it doesn't matter that some of those stories are set in space, or in the old west. It's the human element that matters-but you have to actually pay attention and watch for it.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2017 at 8:24 AM, NumberCruncher said:

Even more unpopular opinion...I can't stand the entire Dark Knight Trilogy.  There's darkness and then there's soul-sucking darkness which is what those movies portray.

I'll top you.  I have Batman fatigue.  I get it, Batman's awesome (and yes, my favorite Movie Batman is Michael Keaton)  But now it's getting to be like that old Mary Sue joke now.  Especially after Frank Miller turned him from the "World's Greatest Detective" into the "Goddamn Batman!" 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Lugal said:

I'll top you.  I have Batman fatigue.  I get it, Batman's awesome (and yes, my favorite Movie Batman is Michael Keaton)  But now it's getting to be like that old Mary Sue joke now.  Especially after Frank Miller turned him from the "World's Greatest Detective" into the "Goddamn Batman!" 

Love it, that's perfect

• Love 1

*takes a deep breath*

You know the 1946 black and white Jean Cocteau Beauty and the Beast that everyone is so gaga for?

I hated it.

I'm sorry but I did. It's so cheesy and lame. And I have more problems with the original fairy tale than I do with the Disney versions. At least Disney's Beast didn't do the whole "I'll die of a broken heart if you don't come back in seven days" crap. 

• Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:21 PM, Browncoat said:

For a long time, I thought I hated Westerns.  Turns out I just hate John Wayne.

@slf, you might like Silverado, if you haven't seen it.

My mother adores John Wayne.  I grew up being forced to watch his movies, and I hated him.  I've mellowed on him as an adult, and can appreciate some of his movies while hating others.  But I understand completely.  And I second the recommendation of Silverado, which is not a typical western.

• Love 1

Eh, I think even if she hadn't filmed The Ugly Truth, the backlash would have been the same because Knocked Up was such a hit and Apatow and Rogen are beloved. For all I know, because of said backlash, she opted not to comment about The Ugly Truth.  

• Love 3

Maybe, I think the timing of her comments and The Ugly Truth release just hurt the point she was trying to make. That and the fact that she'd bailed mid contract from Greys by basically refusing to return to set just made it easy for people to brand her a diva. 

• Love 1

I never watched Grey's Anatomy, so not sure how much that controversy hurt her reputation.  But Knocked Up was released in 2007, and The Ugly Truth in 2009.  Her criticism of the former was the same year of release.  By 2009, her PR team might have had her on a tight leash.  Is she a hypocrite? Most likely, but doesn't mean she was wrong. 

• Love 2
On 4/18/2017 at 9:29 PM, slf said:

I hate Dune. (I actually liked the mini Children of Dune a lot better.)

Oh he'll yeah...wait, hating David Lynch's Dune is an unpopular opinion? Huh, never knew that.  I will say this, I did love the movie as a kid but, then I read the books

I never read the Dune books, but I tried to get into the movie because of Sting(he was in that, right? It's been years ago now). I watched about thirty minutes of it and was SO BORED. I couldn't finish it, I had to turn it off, and I never tried again.

Just now, Morrigan2575 said:

Huh? The 80s movie was a David Lynch film. 

It's a joke. After the studio edited it without Lynch's consent or input, he had his name removed from the credits. Any film without a named director is known as an "Alan Smithee film".