Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Hell, my favorite part of the movie was when her best friend told her that Michael had made his choice, to knock it off and cut her losses.  Usually, we get the best friend who tries to help, sometimes reluctantly, but this guy was great.  He told her how it was and was still there in the end to support her.  He was the best character in the movie, imo. 

Yes, this is a movie and tv trope that I hate, that the person in a stable relationship realizes at the end of the day that they've really loved you all along. Romantic, yes, but both of you are creeps. And at least one of you will end up cheating on the other. 

On 7/9/2017 at 8:46 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I also don't care about the Guardians. Sorry. Take away the fun music and you just have a meh space adventure.

Same here. My kids like them, but those movies bore me to tears. 

• Love 2

I may have mentioned this way back in the beginning, but since my kid is watching it with his friend right now:  I couldn't get through Nightmare Before Christmas.  There were two scenes I liked in the beginning, then just kept getting more and more bored.  Points for creativity and Jack is a cool looking character, but all in all, "meh". 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I may have mentioned this way back in the beginning, but since my kid is watching it with his friend right now:  I couldn't get through Nightmare Before Christmas.  There were two scenes I liked in the beginning, then just kept getting more and more bored.  Points for creativity and Jack is a cool looking character, but all in all, "meh". 

Yeah, I greatly prefer Corpse Bride. It has a stronger story, more interesting characters, and a lovely finale.

• Love 2
On 7/26/2017 at 3:44 PM, Shannon L. said:

Hell, my favorite part of the movie was when her best friend told her that Michael had made his choice, to knock it off and cut her losses.  Usually, we get the best friend who tries to help, sometimes reluctantly, but this guy was great.  He told her how it was and was still there in the end to support her.  He was the best character in the movie, imo. 

Yeah. I wish more romcoms WOULD go for the more realistic ending instead of trying to shoehorn a "happy" ending. It's another reason why I loved the ending of Force of Nature, where Ben Affleck and Sandra Bullock don't end up together because he really does love Maura Tierney and she really does need to get herself together for her child.

Which reminds me...never been bothered by Andie forgiving Blaine and going after him instead of staying with Duckie in Pretty in Pink. She was never attracted to Duckie , and I think she felt like Blaine's apology was sincere.

• Love 5

At the beginning of this month I made myself a promise to watch the AFI's top 100 "Greatest American films of all time", starting with "Citizen Kane" (1st), "The Godfather" (2nd) and "Casablanca" (3rd)

I must admit to being rather baffled as to why "Citizen Kane" has such an exulted position as the best film ever made, and not just according to AFI, but quite a lot of professional film critics too!

But try as I might I just couldn't get into this film at all! Yes, it had nice lighting and camera work for its time, but as for the story itself, I just couldn't engage with it at all. Perhaps I am not all that enlightened to appreciate the finer points behind this film, but in the words of Bruce Hornsby "That's just the way it is!"

"The Godfather", was far more accessible, even though I really don't like gangster films. Wonderful story, superlative acting, moody lighting, intricate camera work, and good editing made for a very enjoyable couple of hours.

And I could say the same for "Casablanca"- perfect in every way, romance, drama, the odd murder, light comedy. Bogart was born for this film!

But as for Citizen Kane, if I said "overrated"  I would be slammed as an ignorant Neanderthal, but I guess I will have to get used to that.

• Love 9
On 7/26/2017 at 10:55 AM, kitmerlot1213 said:

Never been a fan of Julia Roberts—can’t stand her loud, fake laugh or her huge unattractive smile that you just know she practices in the mirror.  I’m always amazed when her fans talk about how her character didn’t end up with the guy in My Best Friend’s Wedding in this shocked tone.  Did they actually watch the movie?  Roberts’s character deliberately sets out to destroy an obviously happy and deeply in love couple just because she decides she wants to be with the future groom and they think that’s the actions of a rootable romantic heroine?

I truly have never understood her appeal in any of the rom-coms I've seen her in (which, blessedly, are few because I usually want to punch her in the face). At the nail salon once, they were playing Runaway Bride, and I was absolutely baffled that we were supposed to sympathize and root for Julia Roberts and Richard Gere to get together in that movie. Though, I guess it's better for two awful characters to get together so no one else has to deal with them, but still. 

It really doesn't surprise me that apparently, no one liked her on the set of Hook. And I've always thought of her as trash ever since she wore her "a low Vera" shirt.

WHEW, that felt good to get out!

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Only Zola said:

At the beginning of this month I made myself a promise to watch the AFI's top 100 "Greatest American films of all time", starting with "Citizen Kane" (1st), "The Godfather" (2nd) and "Casablanca" (3rd)

I must admit to being rather baffled as to why "Citizen Kane" has such an exulted position as the best film ever made, and not just according to AFI, but quite a lot of professional film critics too!

But try as I might I just couldn't get into this film at all! Yes, it had nice lighting and camera work for its time, but as for the story itself, I just couldn't engage with it at all. Perhaps I am not all that enlightened to appreciate the finer points behind this film, but in the words of Bruce Hornsby "That's just the way it is!"

"The Godfather", was far more accessible, even though I really don't like gangster films. Wonderful story, superlative acting, moody lighting, intricate camera work, and good editing made for a very enjoyable couple of hours.

And I could say the same for "Casablanca"- perfect in every way, romance, drama, the odd murder, light comedy. Bogart was born for this film!

But as for Citizen Kane, if I said "overrated"  I would be slammed as an ignorant Neanderthal, but I guess I will have to get used to that.

I don't get Citizen Kane being so revered either.  So you aren't alone.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I don't get Citizen Kane being so revered either.  So you aren't alone.

I got that it was groundbreaking in how it was made, and it was ahead of its time technically, but the story left me disinterested as well.  So while I can admire it as a piece of filmmaking, I would probably never watch it again.

• Love 6

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: I greatly prefer Touch of Evil to Citizen Kane. Touch of Evil is just fun; we're talking suspense, danger, a rightly famous opening shot, a ginormous Orson Welles, Charlton Heston as a Mexican cop (yeah, I know, just go with it), what more could you want?!

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: I greatly prefer Touch of Evil to Citizen Kane. Touch of Evil is just fun; we're talking suspense, danger, a rightly famous opening shot, a ginormous Orson Welles, Charlton Heston as a Mexican cop (yeah, I know, just go with it), what more could you want?!

Touch of Evil - often credited as one of the best B-Movies ever, but I would rate it far higher than that, and the classic opening scene just blows every little box off tricks from Kane out of the water!

• Love 2

I wish I didn't know the ending of Kane before I saw it.  I think I would have appreciated the story more.  Instead, I agree with those who acknowledge the technical aspects of it but were underwhelmed on an enjoyment level.  I've been working my way through both AFI lists too.  I only have about thirty films to go in total.  I've been going randomly via literally picking them out of a hat.  It's fun.  Anyway, my two biggest UO's of this endeavor.  (Warm up your shoulders, gang.  I wouldn't want you guys to pull anything while you're chucking those rocks at me). Number one, I can't stand Katherine Hepburn's affectations as an actor and don't understand why she's considered such a standard.  I know it was a fashionable style back then but she was really really over the top and it pretty much ruins every movie she's in for me.  I love the likes of Davis, Loy, de Havilland, etc but I cannot with Hepburn.  It's like nails on a chalkboard.  And two, I hated, haaaaaaated, It Happened One Night.  Again, I think it was because Claudette Colbert  just screeched the whole time.  I wouldn't have minded one bit if Clark Gable had just left her by the side of the road.  In fact I was kinda of rooting for it.  And a bonus minor UO is that the humor in Some Like It Hot is terribly outdated.  So while I understand the film's place, I don't agree that it is this timeless classic as it is very much of its own time.  

Alright, my only request is a few shots of tequila then you can commence with the stones.

• Love 5

Kiddo, were we separated at birth?!?  Agree on all counts, although in fairness I saw It Happened One Night a long, long time (decades) ago and probably need to see it again to confirm my dislike.  My extreme dislike of all things Katherine Hepburn has stood the test of time and continues strong.

• Love 1

I love Katharine (not Katherine, btw) Hepburn in general, and some of her movies are among my favorites, but I also like even more the acting style of someone like Myrna Loy. 

It Happened One Night underwent a lot of changes between when the script went out (at which point Loy turned down the lead female role for how awful it was, which was no small thing for a studio actor, even of her caliber, and for which she got unending shit from those who'd never seen that draft) and when it got filmed, and I think there are vestiges of that problem in the final product.

The Citizen Kane discussion always interests me, because every amateur movie buff I know greatly appreciates its place in the history of American cinema, but doesn't rank it very highly on their personal list of best films; it's almost always only professional film critics who list it as such.

Casablanca is probably my prime example of "beloved film from Hollywood's 'golden age' that I think is good, but nothing more."

• Love 5

Well next on my AFI list to watch will be "Raging Bull" (4th), "Singing in the Rain" (5th) and "Gone with the Wind" (6th)

All of them receiving almost as much critical acclaim as Kane, but I remember watching "Wind" a couple of years back and feeling rather underwhelmed by it all. Perhaps its a generational thing, or a sign of the times, but some of the old classics just don't do much for me!

However, I will reserve judgement until the weekend

7 hours ago, Only Zola said:

Well next on my AFI list to watch will be "Raging Bull" (4th), "Singing in the Rain" (5th) and "Gone with the Wind" (6th)

All of them receiving almost as much critical acclaim as Kane, but I remember watching "Wind" a couple of years back and feeling rather underwhelmed by it all. Perhaps its a generational thing, or a sign of the times, but some of the old classics just don't do much for me!

I've never seen Raging Bull, couldn't get through Gone With the Wind, but loved Singing in the Rain.  Hope you enjoy if not all, then at least one of them!

On 8/2/2017 at 4:45 AM, Only Zola said:

Oh thank God...I thought I was the only one.  I don't get the love for Citizen Kane.  I truly don't.  Maybe knowing the truth about the ending ruined things for me, I don't know.  Probably not.  If I hadn't known, I probably would've thrown something at the TV, so just as well that I did.

• Love 3

While we're on the subject of overrated classics... Bonnie and Clyde

Seriously, I don't get it, I really don't. Aside from the fact that I find it kind of boring, Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway are the least convincing "criminals" I've ever seen. It would have been much gutsier to cast people who more closely resembled the real Bonnie and Clyde. 

Now, my favorite "young criminals in love" movie is Badlands. It's stark, bleak, and never once glamorizes the two leads (the phenomenal Sissy Spacek and Martin Sheen); on the contrary, they're portrayed as the morally hollow, unintelligent, unimaginative trash they really are.

• Love 1

Speaking of Hepburn, the classic screwball comedies like Bringing Up Baby are great.

Peter Bogdanovich's homage, What's Up, Doc? is even better.  Also, man, did he know how to make Barbra Streisand look fantastic on camera.

• Love 7
On 8/2/2017 at 8:00 PM, kiddo82 said:

I wish I didn't know the ending of Kane before I saw it.  I think I would have appreciated the story more.  Instead, I agree with those who acknowledge the technical aspects of it but were underwhelmed on an enjoyment level.  I've been working my way through both AFI lists too.  I only have about thirty films to go in total.  I've been going randomly via literally picking them out of a hat.  It's fun.  Anyway, my two biggest UO's of this endeavor.  (Warm up your shoulders, gang.  I wouldn't want you guys to pull anything while you're chucking those rocks at me). Number one, I can't stand Katherine Hepburn's affectations as an actor and don't understand why she's considered such a standard.  I know it was a fashionable style back then but she was really really over the top and it pretty much ruins every movie she's in for me.  I love the likes of Davis, Loy, de Havilland, etc but I cannot with Hepburn.  It's like nails on a chalkboard.  And two, I hated, haaaaaaated, It Happened One Night.  Again, I think it was because Claudette Colbert  just screeched the whole time.  I wouldn't have minded one bit if Clark Gable had just left her by the side of the road.  In fact I was kinda of rooting for it.  And a bonus minor UO is that the humor in Some Like It Hot is terribly outdated.  So while I understand the film's place, I don't agree that it is this timeless classic as it is very much of its own time.  

Alright, my only request is a few shots of tequila then you can commence with the stones.

Hee - that's reminding me of that Dorothy Parker quote about Katharine Hepburn: "She runs the gamut of human emotions from A to B"

• Love 6

And yet Katharine completely dissed Meryl Streep as an actress because she said you could see her think:

Among modern actresses, Hepburn voiced approval of Melanie Griffith and Julia Roberts, but names Oscar-winner Meryl Streep as her least favourite female film star, saying she was too cerebral and over-reliant on technique.

So she was as bad at recognizing talent as she was at acting.

She also didn't understand burns:

Hepburn also recalled telephoning Tracy's wife soon after his death and suggesting the two women might be friends, only to be told by Mrs Tracy that she had always considered Hepburn to be a "rumour."

"A rumour!" Hepburn told Berg. "Can you imagine? Thirty years her husband isn't there and she thinks I'm a rumour."

I think I may love Mrs. Tracy.

• Love 10
On August 3, 2017 at 10:21 AM, DisneyBoy said:

Wind is doable. It's long but doable.

Lawrence of Arabia, on the other hand...

Heh.  I haven't seen Gone with Wind in close to twenty years but I remember it holding my attention better than a lot of the 3+ hour long epics.  It's good, and I would watch it again, but I could also live with myself if I never did.  I think "long but doable" is the perfect assessment.  

Lawrence of Arabia is just long.  

• Love 2

Gone with the Wind was forbidden in my household growing up, so when the opportunity arose to watch it, I thought I should give it a chance. I was so very wrong... I hated that film with the fire of a thousand burning Atlantas. It's a great technical achievement, but it's up there with Birth of a Nation for films I don't ever want to see again.

• Love 5
On 03/08/2017 at 6:55 AM, Only Zola said:

However, I will reserve judgement until the weekend

2 hours ago, Violet Impulse said:

Gone with the Wind was forbidden in my household growing up, so when the opportunity arose to watch it, I thought I should give it a chance. I was so very wrong... I hated that film with the fire of a thousand burning Atlantas. It's a great technical achievement, but it's up there with Birth of a Nation for films I don't ever want to see again.

Well I got round to watching GWTW on Saturday, and as with my opinion of Citizen Kane, I just couldn't quite see what all the fuss and acclaim is for this "so so" film!

Of course a professional film critic would probably lambaste unenlightened people like myself for missing the point, and for missing the subtle nuances that make this film so great!

But my retort would be in the very words of Rhett Butler: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a shit!"

However, "Singing In The Rain", was a joy. Don't know whether its deserving of a such a lofty position of 5th, but it is a good alround piece of entertainment, very uplifting and not at all pretentious or full of its own importance. 

Edited by Only Zola
  • Love 4

I've said this before but I get bored during Gene Kelly movies.  He's extremely charismatic in short bursts but it doesn't sustain a feature length film.  And he gets this creepy/smarmy grin on his face when he's tapping that weirds me out.  It's almost like a pageant grin.  But at least Singin' In the Rain has O'Connor, Reynolds, and Hagan at their best to balance it out.  To say that it's fifth greatest American film of all time (up from 10 on the original list) is pushing it but the Good Morning Number is pure joy, even better than the title number IMO.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Only Zola said:

Well I got round to watching GWTW on Saturday, and as with my opinion of Citizen Kane, I just couldn't quite see what all the fuss and acclaim is for this "so so" film!

Of course a professional film critic would probably lambaste unenlightened people like myself for missing the point, and for missing the subtle nuances that make this film so great!

But my retort would be in the very words of Rhett Butler: "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a shit!"

I haven't seen GWTW or CK, but it's all right for classics to feel a bit dated. The best bits of everything are analysed and used or improved upon by the next generation of film makers. I'd be more surprised if parts actually felt fresh. However, it's worth looking what was recycled from the previous generation and what was actually new. If you want, of course. It's just a suggestion for film buffs, not a command. :)

• Love 2

And a bonus minor UO is that the humor in Some Like It Hot is terribly outdated.  So while I understand the film's place, I don't agree that it is this timeless classic as it is very much of its own time.

I like that film a lot. The one aspect of it that makes it for me is Jack Lemmon. He was a national treasure. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Only Zola said:

Minor nitpick: It's "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a DAMN." :)

I guess my UO is that, between the two Oscar winning 1939 MGM classics directed by Victor Fleming, I prefer GWTW to The Wizard of Oz. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I was NOT that into The Wizard of Oz. Perhaps I would feel differently now. (See also: The Sound Of Music. Another movie I just COULD NOT with as a kid, but might like better now.)

• Love 3

Mine is that Gal Gadot can't act(don't know if it's really a uo cause I've seen a lot of people say the same thing)

Plus I think Wonder Woman was a mediocre film that had an okay plot. I also think the reason it's getting so much praise is because it's the first superhero movie with a female lead since the superhero movie craze. It's nothing special and could have been better. 

At the same time I'm glad that people have enjoyed the movie.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

I also think the reason it's getting so much praise is because it's the first superhero movie with a female lead since the superhero movie craze.

It could also be that it's the best of the bunch in the DCU so far.  I thought her acting was good, but there were flaws in the story.  I still put it above a couple of my least favorite Marvel movies. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

It could also be that it's the best of the bunch in the DCU so far.  I thought her acting was good, but there were flaws in the story.  I still put it above a couple of my least favorite Marvel movies. 

If you noticed she didn't have a lot of dialogue or range. Her costars carried the dialogue in the movie. Plus there was a lot of posing that Gal did and her facial expressions were okay. 

On 7/21/2017 at 4:19 PM, Shannon L. said:

It may be the best movie of the decade, but I'm rarely entertained by WWI and II movies and have decided to stop even trying.  

Yep, my UO is that I could happily go the rest of my life without seeing another movie based on the following subjects:

1) WWII from the European/American perspective.
2) Spider-Man. 

No, I don't care that "omg but this one was sooo good though!" That goes for both Dunkirk and Tom Holland's Spider-Man. 

• Love 3

I don't mind when they capture a piece of history that could otherwise be forgotten.  I can't ever see the movie (because I struggle with any movie in which someone is being mean to someone else - Mr. CRS sees a lot of movies by himself), but I am happy that others can enjoy it and be interested enough to study the real history.

• Love 3

Sex scenes. 

In one respect I can understand why they're included in a film (usually dramas, thrillers or the odd rom-com); but it's the sheer explicitness I could really do without as it seems completely out of context in terms of moving the story along. Implication & suggestion are better alternatives to having to see (and hear) all of the explicit goings-on twixt two (or more) people.

And of course it can make for uncomfortable viewing if you're watching with friends, or worse your parents! (I recall watching "Desert Hearts" for the first time 4 or 5 years ago with my parents. It came recommended as a good lesbian drama/romance, but in my naivety I wasn't expecting the rather explicit love scene between the two female protagonists; and I'm pretty sure my parents weren't either!)

• Love 2
On 8/6/2017 at 7:39 AM, kiddo82 said:

I've said this before but I get bored during Gene Kelly movies.  He's extremely charismatic in short bursts but it doesn't sustain a feature length film.  And he gets this creepy/smarmy grin on his face when he's tapping that weirds me out.  It's almost like a pageant grin.  But at least Singin' In the Rain has O'Connor, Reynolds, and Hagan at their best to balance it out.  To say that it's fifth greatest American film of all time (up from 10 on the original list) is pushing it but the Good Morning Number is pure joy, even better than the title number IMO.

The only Gene Kelly movie I've seen is Singin' in the Rain, which I adore....except for the overbloated "Broadway Melody" sequence.  If I'm watching it on DVD, I fast-forward through it.

• Love 2

Little Women with Winona Ryder is...not my favorite Little Women. It was until I saw the 1949 Little Women which became my favorite I love it and don't even mind that they switched the ages of Amy and Beth (which normally would bother me). Its followed in second place by the 1978 Little Women because it followed the book more. Then Winona in third and the 1930s one in last. I don't know if they still do but Netflix used to have them all and I watched them all. 

• Love 1
On 8/12/2017 at 11:54 AM, starri said:

The good thing about the Moonlight Best Picture debacle was that it proved that Marisa Tomei was a legitimate winner.  UO:  She totally deserved to win.

I totally agree with you about Marisa Tomei. We're there rumors that someone announced the wrong name when she won the Oscar? If so, how petty and mean-spirited. 

• Love 3
On 6/7/2017 at 10:51 PM, kiddo82 said:

Rotten Tomatoes scores mean nothing to me.

So far I've counted 11 movies that I genuinely LOVE that have a RT score of 20% or lower.

6 out of 11: are romantic comedies

2 out of 11: are romantic dramas

3 out of 11: are comedies starring 2 men

Do you think critics are biased against romance, women, and comedy?  LOL.  Rhetorical question.  I'm not going to wade into that debate again, which I didn't even realize was a debate at all.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
On 5/26/2017 at 3:52 PM, Shannon L. said:

Funny Brad story:  When a friend and I went to see Legends of the Fall, when Brad's first character finally showed up and jumped off the horse, the second he took off his hat, there was an audible sigh in the theater.  I'm not kidding either.  I didn't disagree with the sentiment, but it was still loud enough for me to giggle. 

I watched Moneyball in the theatre.  That's a great movie for a lot of close-ups of Brad Pitt's face, and in the theatre obviously, those close-ups are huge.  There was so, so, so much audible female sighing.  I'll never forget that and I thought it was so funny.

• Love 3
On 2/25/2017 at 0:48 AM, UYI said:

Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction. Very, very strong dramatic performance there. 

On the topic of comedians who are great dramatic actors.  My favourite male acting performance PERIOD - from ANYONE - is Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  In my world, Jim would have received the accolades for HIS performance and Kate's would have been ignored.

• Love 5
On 8/21/2016 at 8:49 PM, topanga said:

Your post is timely because I just watched "The Intern" today. Granted, it was a somewhat-cliched drama/comedy, but I really enjoyed it. I thought Anne Hathaway and Robert DeNiro gave very nuanced performances, and I loved the scenes with just the two of them. And there were no explosions, no CGI, or superheroes, and there were some beautiful shots of New York--Brooklyn, specifically.  

Which leads me to my UO: I like Anne Hathaway. I know she's one of those "we don't like her anymore" actresses on the Internet, (or maybe that was last year),  but I find her to be talented and beautiful. And I've liked all of her movies. 

Sorry to spam this thread, but my replies don't always seem to merge.

I loved, loved, loved The Intern.  It only came out in 2015 and I've already watched it a few times.  I have no complaints about it.  It was almost like a sequel, or the inverse to The Devil Wears Prada.  And also mentioned upthread, I also loved Woody Allen's Cafe Society.  It was so romantic.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
On 8/2/2017 at 2:45 AM, Zola said:

I've always been baffled, as well. I had some time this afternoon, so I started poking around ... why is this film considered great? I found a few things regarding plot, the figure of the haunted megalomaniac presiding over the shards of his own life, comparisons to WR Hearst, Orson Welles being 25, but the one that made me think, oh, okay, was this:

Kane, perhaps better than any movie at the time, demonstrated that cinematography and editing are crucial for establishing tone and mood. Nowadays we take this for granted, but back then, almost all shots in all movies were almost all completely the same. They were shot at the same height, they were shot at the same distance from the actors, they were shot with minimal camera movements, and they were mostly well lit

So, I kind of want to watch it again (sometimes it helps to have the Cliff Notes so you know what to look for).

I liked Gene Kelly in On the Town, but I like Frank Sinatra, so there's that. It's possibly one of those films that it wouldn't matter who was in it, the music is great.

I came here to post that the stunts in the Fast & Furious franchise cause me to roll my eyes really hard. I can't even sit through an entire film. I want to sit through an entire film, but nope, can't do it.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, topanga said:

I totally agree with you about Marisa Tomei. We're there rumors that someone announced the wrong name when she won the Oscar? If so, how petty and mean-spirited. 

Oh yeah, there were rumors about that for years. The Moonlight kerfuffle finally put them to rest. 

• Love 5
On 8/12/2017 at 10:54 AM, starri said:

The good thing about the Moonlight Best Picture debacle was that it proved that Marisa Tomei was a legitimate winner.  UO:  She totally deserved to win.

God, the speech at the cabin cracks me up every time. "Well, I hate to bring it up, because I know you've got enough pressure on you already. But we agreed to get married as soon as you won your first case. Meanwhile, TEN YEARS LATER, my niece, the daughter of my sister is getting married. My biological clock is [stamps foot] TICKING LIKE THIS and the way this case is going, I ain't never getting married." It's perfect- her accent, her mannerisms, the open-back floral print catsuit, everything.

I hate that the backlash over her win basically killed her career.

• Love 20
5 minutes ago, slf said:

God, the speech at the cabin cracks me up every time. "Well, I hate to bring it up, because I know you've got enough pressure on you already. But we agreed to get married as soon as you won your first case. Meanwhile, TEN YEARS LATER, my niece, the daughter of my sister is getting married. My biological clock is [stamps foot] TICKING LIKE THIS and the way this case is going, I ain't never getting married." It's perfect- her accent, her mannerisms, the open-back floral print catsuit, everything.

I hate that the backlash over her win basically killed her career.

That's beyond irritating. She was stellar in that role. I think part of the backlash was probably 'oh... a comedy? Really?' Like a comedy can't result in acting accolades or something which isn't remotely fair at all but the times seem to shift back and forth over only SERIOUS movies can produce SERIOUS acting and win awards. Hell, isn't that why the Golden Globes split the awards between Drama and Comedy/Musical?

I don't think anyone in my family can say 'No there's more!' without doing Tomei's voice in My Cousin VInny.  She absolutely deserved the Oscar. I was just surprised the Academy agreed.

• Love 17