Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, starri said:

Have you ever seen Riding the Bus with My Sister?

No. But it looks and sounds like a terrible movie.

I have seen Four Weddings and a Funeral, Groundhog Day, Multiplicity, Short Cuts and Sex, Lies and Videotape and thought she was fine in them. Not Oscar-worthy, but not noticeably bad. It's not like she's Pamela Anderson or anything.

• Love 5

Now that I think of it, she DOES have some awkward line reads in St. Elmo's Fire, too. They're not as egregious as a lot of the ones from FWAAF, though (although the way she shouts "He'll freeze!" in one scene is particularly cringe worthy, at least to me).

Which leads me to the UO that I actually love St. Elmo's Fire. :P

• Love 4
5 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Is that unpopular? I think Unbreakable is by far, his best film.

I think Unbreakable has probably held up a lot better (although i haven't  watched either in years). Plus i think Unbreakable gets a lot more respect now just because super hero movies, especially good super hero movies are a lot more common now than they were in 2000. So back then it was a lot easier to write the movie off.

• Love 1
On 2/12/2017 at 11:39 AM, Danny Franks said:

No. But it looks and sounds like a terrible movie.

I have seen Four Weddings and a Funeral, Groundhog Day, Multiplicity, Short Cuts and Sex, Lies and Videotape and thought she was fine in them. Not Oscar-worthy, but not noticeably bad. It's not like she's Pamela Anderson or anything.

It is. Oh my god, thank god that came out pre-Twitter. Rosie O'Donnell would have been raked over the coals.

She's moved to T.V. but it's kind of impressive that Andie's had such a long career given that her acting isn't much to write home about.

I don't think Rooney Mara's all that. She's a fine, serviceable actress but I'm really rooting for her sister Kate. I don't find Rooney as stunningly gorgeous as the media seems to treat her, either.

• Love 4

I remember there was a discussion thread on a film Rooney starred in with Jude Law and Channing Tatum (too lazy to look it up), and it felt like every other comment was about how beautiful Rooney was.  I try to respect "eye of the beholder" and all, but she has a sickly look about her.  But hey, heroin chic was and is a thing, so I guess. Definitely prefer Kate. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

It is. Oh my god, thank god that came out pre-Twitter. Rosie O'Donnell would have been raked over the coals.

It's not so much a performance as it is a hate crime.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I remember there was a discussion thread on a film Rooney starred in with Jude Law and Channing Tatum (too lazy to look it up), and it felt like every other comment was about how beautiful Rooney was.  I try to respect "eye of the beholder" and all, but she has a sickly look about her.  But hey, heroin chic was and is a thing, so I guess. Definitely prefer Kate. 

I just feel like she's basically any skinny, brunette girl with blue eyes that you can see scores of walking around in hipster gear in a college town or youth-oriented neighborhood. She's not bad-looking, but I feel like the media treats her like she's Audrey Hepburn or Liz Taylor or something.

I've always kind of liked Kate Mara because she reminds me of Sabrina Lloyd from Sliders (they have a similar voice and mannerisms), who I always liked and felt sad that she gave up on acting. Her look is also a little bit more unique than her sister's.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I don't think Rooney Mara's all that. She's a fine, serviceable actress but I'm really rooting for her sister Kate. I don't find Rooney as stunningly gorgeous as the media seems to treat her, either.

I agree with that. Kate Mara is much prettier, and has a warmer energy than Rooney in any movie I've seen her in. Rooney Mara actually looks rather plain, by comparison (and from some angles, she genuinely looks plain by any comparison).

Also, Kate Mara making fun of the Fantastic Four movie that she starred in was amusing, and endearing.

• Love 1

Andie McDowell's Southern accent was so thick in Greystoke, they had to overdub her with Glenn Close.

IIRC her character was supposed to have been from (or living in) Virginia.  I know Virginian's accents can vary, but it wouldn't have been such a bad thing for her to have kept it would it?

Edited by magicdog
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

IIRC her character was supposed to have been from (or living in) Virginia.  I know Virginian's accents can vary, but it wouldn't have been such a bad thing for her to have kept it would it?

If it had been intelligible.

• Love 1
On 2/13/2017 at 6:01 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

The movie was Side Effects, and I suppose Rooney is a bit of an acquired taste.

Second UO. I think. Maybe? Sarah Silverman is a damned good dramatic actress. I know she's mostly known for her comedy, but I watched I Smile Back on DVD last night, and her performance really impressed me. Check it out if you get the chance. Its a little bleak in places, but just....wow.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Second UO. I think. Maybe? Sarah Silverman is a damned good dramatic actress. I know she's mostly known for her comedy, but I watched I Smile Back on DVD last night, and her performance really impressed me. Check it out if you get the chance. Its a little bleak in places, but just....wow.

I agree with this. My exposure to her in a dramatic role comes from TV and Masters of Sex but she was very strong there and that's in a cast full of great dramatic actors.

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:41 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I find a number of comedians are very good dramatic actors: Darell Hammond, Stephen Colbert, Larry Miller, Samantha Bee are just a few. Granted maybe I should have posted this in the television thread instead. Oops! ? 

I'll anchor you here.  Steve Carrell in "Dan in Real Life" legit breaks my heart, while I'm laughing just a little bit. 

• Love 5
Just now, cpcathy said:

Regarding Steve Carrell, I thought he should have gotten the Oscar nomination for Little Miss Sunshine instead of Alan Arkin.

I'll see you that Oscar snub and raise you the nom he should've gotten for The Big Short over Christian Bale.

• Love 5
On 2/21/2017 at 2:41 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I find a number of comedians are very good dramatic actors: Darell Hammond, Stephen Colbert, Larry Miller, Samantha Bee are just a few. Granted maybe I should have posted this in the television thread instead. Oops! ? 

Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction. Very, very strong dramatic performance there. 

• Love 2

As a fan of classic musicals, I only recently checked out the much-maligned Naughty Marietta, starring the much-maligned Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, and you know what I think?

The movie is good, and the leads are not that bad! They're actually kind of fun, and I don't mean that ironically! Film essayist John DiLeo put it best: [Naughty Marietta] is funny, [MacDonald and Eddy] know it's funny, and they are funny". The songs are lovely, they're having a great time singing them, and Eddy's much criticized stiffness is made amusing and deadpan by W.S. Van Dyke's great direction. I also unapologetically love "Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life". Love it. Not even Young Frankenstein can ruin it. 

• Love 1

I don't think Will Ferrell, Jim Carrey, Ben Stiller, Kristen Wiig, and Owen Wilson are comic geniuses. Yeah, I said it.

I'll take it a step further: I hate most contemporary comedies. Jokes are stretched way past the point where they're funny, slapstick comedy is now way too violent and/or mean, characters explain the joke, there's no timing, rhythm, or consistent tone, actors are visibly uncomfortable and appear to flailing with their lines, and there's nauseating, contrived sentimentality slapped on at every opportunity. Comedies nowadays assume that I, the viewer, am one of three things: stupid, a sociopath, or a stupid sociopath, and I don't appreciate being treated as any of these. 

• Love 15

Ant Man might have been the most convoluted, yet pointless Marvel film I've seen to date.  The amount of reaching and twisting to "redeem" Paul Rudd's character was laughable.  You want to infiltrate your former company to prevent further research of and exploitation of your dangerous tech by your former protege?  Do you a) leverage your capable and more experienced daughter who is on the board, has security access, and already a mole with the trust of said former protege, or b) twist yourself into a pretzel and waste lots of time to recruit and "train" some Robin Hood-esque thief with ZERO knowledge or experience of your tech? I think we know the answer.  

Plus, I like Paul Rudd well enough, but the entire supporting cast stole the film from him with their performances.  Michael Pena especially. 

Switching to an opinion more DC-related: Jason Mamoa does nothing for me. I've never understood the attraction.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I don't think Will Ferrell, Jim Carrey, Ben Stiller, Kristen Wiig, and Owen Wilson are comic geniuses. Yeah, I said it.

I'm not a huge fan of Wiig either (Kate McKinnon becoming SNL's female star after her departure was a big step up), but I thought she and Bill Hader were both really good in Skeleton Twins.

That movie had EVERYTHING.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Ant Man might have been the most convoluted, yet pointless Marvel film I've seen to date.  The amount of reaching and twisting to "redeem" Paul Rudd's character was laughable.  You want to infiltrate your former company to prevent further research of and exploitation of your dangerous tech by your former protege?  Do you a) leverage your capable and more experienced daughter who is on the board, has security access, and already a mole with the trust of said former protege, or b) twist yourself into a pretzel and waste lots of time to recruit and "train" some Robin Hood-esque thief with ZERO knowledge or experience of your tech? I think we know the answer.  

Remember in the old days when women took a backseat while men got to have all the glory and fun! Well, it's the 2010s now! Now women... can take a backseat while men get to have all the glory and fun, but now with half-assed snark and cheap sentimentality! Yay, progress, baby, woo!

• Love 6

Bwah! What made it worse was everything needed to stop Corey Stoll's villain was set up in Hope.  Why even bother making her 1) Hank Pym's daughter, 2) on the board of his company, 3) close confidante of Stoll, and 4) second only to Pym in experience with his tech?  I'm doubly annoyed because I usually can't stand Evangeline Lilly, but this shitshow made me like her. I kept hoping she would knock both her idiotic father and useless stand-in out, drag them into that secret vault or whatever at Pym's home, and go handle business without having to break in any-fucking-where. I'm appalled this mess made any money. 

• Love 3

Just caught Cinderella (live version with Lily James and Richard Madden) and I hated how they made the Grand Duke a villain and co-conspirator of Evil Stepmother, when in the Disney version (yeah, yeah, sanitized, I know, but it's the one I like, so don't judge me!?) he was a funny, wanting to please, and at times, a bumbling doofus, good person. Or that the Prince's father, the King

DIED!?

But then we wouldn't have gotten Kit to reveal himself and insist on asking Ella to come down to try on the slipper.

Though I did love Cate's portrayal. And oh look! Lucretia Borgia and Daisy Mason Holliday Grainger and Sophie McShera played Anastasia and Drisilla!

Speaking of Richard, he was barely recognizable without his signature beard! It was his voice and unearthly blue eyes that made me think- is that Robb Stark??IMDb confirmed that it was!

I do wish the animals could have spoken if only to hear them call Ella, "Cinderelly! Cinderelly!"??

What?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I liked the live action Cinderella well enough, though I agree making the Grand Duke a bad guy was unnecessary. But whatever. The dress was pretty. And even without the beard I loved Prince Robb Stark.

Yep! And I'm enjoying seeing Robb Stark Richard play Cosimo Medici on Netflix's Medici: Masters of Florence, though I don't know if he'll be back in the second season since Season Two picks up to tell Cosimo's grandson's story. But maybe there will be Flashbacks. He really is yummy. I never realized how beautiful his eyes are.?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just caught Cinderella (live version with Lily James and Richard Madden) and I hated how they made the Grand Duke a villain and co-conspirator of Evil Stepmother, when in the Disney version (yeah, yeah, sanitized, I know, but it's the one I like, so don't judge me!?) he was a funny, wanting to please, and at times, a bumbling doofus, good person. Or that the Prince's father, the King

Reveal hidden contents

DIED!?

But then we wouldn't have gotten Kit to reveal himself and insist on asking Ella to come down to try on the slipper.

Though I did love Cate's portrayal. And oh look! Lucretia Borgia and Daisy Mason Holliday Grainger and Sophie McShera played Anastasia and Drisilla!

Speaking of Richard, he was barely recognizable without his signature beard! It was his voice and unearthly blue eyes that made me think- is that Robb Stark??IMDb confirmed that it was!

I do wish the animals could have spoken if only to hear them call Ella, "Cinderelly! Cinderelly!"??

What?

I LOVE Disney's live action of Cinderella.

Im not a big fan of Disney redoing their animated movies into live action but so far they have done a good job. And because they have done a good job I will give them a chance. But if they ruin Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, or Aladdin well, Disney and I will have some big problems. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Remember in the old days when women took a backseat while men got to have all the glory and fun! Well, it's the 2010s now! Now women... can take a backseat while men get to have all the glory and fun, but now with half-assed snark and cheap sentimentality! Yay, progress, baby, woo!

'Course, that "progress" is also what pushed Kristen Wiig into the spotlight as a comedic genius, so there's that. :-P

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

Switching to an opinion more DC-related: Jason Mamoa does nothing for me. I've never understood the attraction.  

Can I sit with you? The man does nothing for me, and I find his acting pretty one note. Then there's the fact that his hair color for Arthur is ALL WRONG. Yes, I admit I'm anal retentive about the small shit.

I've stated this elsewhere, but in my opinion, DC needs to just stick with animation, where they excel and just stop with the live action, which they've proven, aside from a few hits in recent years, they totally SUCK at. I will probably see the Wonder Woman movie, because it actually looks interesting (I saw the trailer on my Justice League: Dark animated movie), but I'm so not interested in their live version of the Justice League. Mainly because Barry, who is supposed to be Batman, Superman's contemporary, comes off as a fucking teenager, and too much like Marvel's Peter Parker for me to take this seriously. They should have just made him be Bart.  Plus, as stupid as some may find it, I refuse to watch any live version movies where Affleck is playing Batman.

I'm not a fan of Will Ferrell's comedies - but "Stranger than Fiction" is one of my favorite movies and I think Ferrell is quite good in it.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Wildcard said:

I'm not a fan of Will Ferrell's comedies - but "Stranger than Fiction" is one of my favorite movies and I think Ferrell is quite good in it.

Oh, don't misunderstand, I don't think he's without talent; he's very good in Stranger than FictionMelinda and Melinda, and, okay, Elf (though I really have to be in the right mood to watch that one). I just don't think he's the funniest thing ever; a little Ferrell goes a long, long way, and I think he's been getting way too broad and way too mean lately (granted, that's mostly the material, but still).

• Love 3
On 26/02/2017 at 4:35 PM, Dancingjaneway said:

I'm sure this one will get me in some trouble but here goes. I have NO urge to see the live-action Beauty & The Beast. Nothing about it interests me. I liked the animated version but that's it. 

I feel like I should see it, because my girlfriend really wants to, and because thinking about it made me realise I've never seen Emma Watson in a movie. But... I just don't wanna. 

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

Like Cinderella and The Jungle Book before it (and have there been more than I'm forgetting?) I'll get there when I get there. Probably when it shows up on Netflix and I need something for a lazy Sunday morning. I remember the "original" well and think back on it fondly. I don't think this one will "ruin my childhood" or anything but that animated film will always be first in my heart because it was something that was a part of growing up. This can't be that for me, though I'm sure out there is some seven year old girl who is going to see this and it will be a huge part of her childhood. So I get why Disney remakes these things. It's a new audience and the people who are into the nostalgia and it's different enough since it's live-action to be something separate from the animated classic. But it's not for me.

• Love 3

I kinda feel the exact same way.  I have no problem with the live action versions but unless they cast someone I'm really interested in seeing (now that I know Richard Madden is in Cinderlla I might have to put it on my watch list) I can't see myself going out of my way to see them.  I'm sure they'll show up on FreeForm someday and I'll check them out then.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I have no problem with the live action versions but unless they cast someone I'm really interested in seeing (now that I know Richard Madden is in Cinderlla I might have to put it on my watch list) I can't see myself going out of my way to see them.

Agreed.  I caught Cinderella during my STARZ free trial.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered.  Ever After might have ruined me for all other Cinderella adaptations. Nevertheless, bless Lily James for having to maneuver in that blue gown. Also, I didn't think it was possible to make Richard Madden unattractive, but by golly, Disney somehow managed it.  

I liked Cinderella (ahem, count me among those who thought Richard Madden looked just fine, thankyouverymuch), but when it comes to Beauty and the Beast...there's a part of me that wants to see it because it's my favorite animated Disney movie, but...I don't know how crazy I am about Emma Watson playing Belle.  Not sure about how popular or unpopular an opinion that is, but it's mine.

• Love 2