Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, Archery said:

Thelma (looking in car's rear window):  Yup, that's him goin'.  I loooooove to watch him go.

"Did you see his butt?  Darryl doesn't have a cute butt like that; you could park a car in the shadow of his ass."

A friend and I do the "I looove to watch him go" thing a lot.

(And I would totally eat mayo by itself if it was socially acceptable.  It's, by far, my favorite condiment, and what I put on everything involving ingredients contained within bread - sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, etc. - because I loathe mustard and don't much care for ketchup.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Not only do I think Brad Pitt is not God's gift of hotness, I don't think Angelina Jolie is the most gorgeous woman who ever lived.  I don't understand the adulation for either of them.

• Love 13

I definitely don't agree about Brad and won't deny that I think Angelina is beautiful.

I will say that even in Angelina's pre-Brad days (during and after too), I thought she was annoying, or as my nieces and nephews would say: Extra!. This lessened her beauty in my eyes. 

• Love 3

I always thought Angelina could stand to eat a few cheeseburgers now and then, but the most annoying thing is that she gives off a vibe that she thinks she's goddam Mother Teresa.  While it's nice of her to do good works, I just think she takes herself much too seriously.  

I'm glad they split up.  Brad.  Call me.   

• Love 7

I remember years ago I worked with a girl who said she would switch teams for Angelina, and I (the straight guy) am thinking, really?  Angelina is attractive enough, but hardly the sex-goddess she's made out to be. 

• Love 8

Wonder Woman. No, I haven't seen it. That's the thing. I tried to work myself up about it, and failed. The women in my life are all either busy or not interested. This year I'm trying to cut down on the movies I 'should' see and only go to the ones I actually want to see. I'm 100% in favour of it existing, I hope those who do see it enjoy it, and it does well. I'm just not interested and don't want to spend the money to see it.

• Love 6
On 5/26/2017 at 2:55 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

I watched some of Top Gun several weeks ago, and Rick Rossovich was the eye candy, hands down.  

I love the opening credits. And the volleyball scene. Objectively, I think Tom Cruise is attractive, but his personal life ruins it for me. He does look good in a Navy uniform!  (Top Gun, A Few Good Men).

• Love 1
On 5/27/2017 at 11:38 AM, Bastet said:

(And I would totally eat mayo by itself if it was socially acceptable.  It's, by far, my favorite condiment, and what I put on everything involving ingredients contained within bread - sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, etc. - because I loathe mustard and don't much care for ketchup.)

Bastet, you may have defined better than anyone what separates Brad Pitt people from the rest: mayo vs. mustard, particularly Dijon mustard - the kind that can have a wasabi like effect if you take too much in one go :)

Kidding aside, I actually think Pitt is quite a decent actor in what I've seen him him, I just never got why he was supposed to be the most gorgeous man on Earth. 

• Love 1
On 5/31/2017 at 5:11 AM, Joe said:

Wonder Woman. No, I haven't seen it. That's the thing. I tried to work myself up about it, and failed. The women in my life are all either busy or not interested. This year I'm trying to cut down on the movies I 'should' see and only go to the ones I actually want to see. I'm 100% in favour of it existing, I hope those who do see it enjoy it, and it does well. I'm just not interested and don't want to spend the money to see it.

Am I happy to see a movie about a woman superhero get this much hype and attention? Of course! But I would really like it if the all the action and superhero movies would GO AWAY, and we can get romantic comedies to become huge blockbusters again. 

• Love 6

I join in on the UO that Brad Pitt is not hot. His face is very bland to me, like vanilla pudding. Nothing quirky or interesting about it. As far as his acting nothing he's done has made an impression on me except Inglorious Basterds.  He was good in that.

• Love 6
On 5/31/2017 at 2:11 AM, Joe said:

Yeah, it looks like a well done movie (and I did enjoy Gal Gadot as Wonderwoman in BvS, one of the few things I did enjoy about that movie), but whenever something gets so much over the top praise, it makes me look at it a little side-eyed.

• Love 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, merroni said:

I've been waiting to say this. I don't like Deadpool. It was vulgar and not funny. 

I wanted to like Deadpool, and while it had its moments, I found it indulged in more cliches than it lampooned (the not-that-badly scarred hero, the boring girlfriend, etc.).

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, UYI said:

Am I happy to see a movie about a woman superhero get this much hype and attention? Of course! But I would really like it if the all the action and superhero movies would GO AWAY, and we can get romantic comedies to become huge blockbusters again. 

again?

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/2/2017 at 3:43 PM, Silver Raven said:

again?

Don't wound me like that. :P :'( 

ETA: Okay, maybe a lot weren't hyped in the same way, but many of them made a great deal of money in their own right during their heyday (When Harry Met Sally..., Sleepless in Seattle). I guess that might qualify more as "sleeper hits", though. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Here's one that I don't think I've seen here:

I intensely dislike all the "sneak peeks," promos for television shows, most especially the actors urging the audience to watch their movies that are soon being released or will be. The last seems to be a new thing, as are the interviews and sneak peeks to upcoming movies. It smacks of...desperation? Because due to the obscene high prices of movie tickets, and how people don't have to wait nine months to a year before they show up on dvd? It's like two months now before the dvd/bluray is out and available on cable.

Bad enough I have to sit through 20 minutes of previews before the movie starts! Is it a Regal Cinema thing?

• Love 5
On 5/26/2017 at 4:11 PM, starri said:

I can't even lie.  Legends of the Fall is what made me figure my orientation out.

He was beautiful in that movie, honestly. 

I don't think he's aged badly, per se, but the magic's gone for me. And while I don't think he's a great actor I do think he has an interesting physicality.

• Love 3

Even though I enjoy rom-coms and sometimes even take pleasure in the formula itself, I don't need them to come back as a genre so much as... I would like stories about humans again. I think if there's a gendered divide, it tends to be that stories geared towards women are about people with emotions and thoughts and wants and needs. And stories geared towards men are punch em ups or quests with motivations, sure, but that's not quite the same thing. And should they manage even a modicum of emotional resonance they get praised up and down as though it's some magical thing that's so difficult to achieve. When I do watch movies, which isn't that often, they tend to be romances, period pieces, biopics, etc. because those are still about people though those mid-range movies are getting pushed out leaving low-budget ones of wildly varying quality. 

• Love 11
(edited)
On 6/5/2017 at 0:48 AM, slf said:

He was beautiful in that movie, honestly. 

I don't think he's aged badly, per se, but the magic's gone for me. And while I don't think he's a great actor I do think he has an interesting physicality.

That is the unfortunate fate of most pretty boys. They can still look great and "I wouldn't kick them out of bed for eating crackers"-ish, but the magic does indeed go even if they look fine. See: Gael Bernal Garcia...still looks fine but man he was so pretty during his Bad Education era.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

That is the unfortunate fate of most pretty boys. They can still look great and "I wouldn't kick them out of bed for eating crackers"-ish, but the magic does indeed go even if they look fine. See: Gael Bernal Garcia...still looks fine but man he was so pretty during his Bad Education era.

Very much agreed.

Which brings me to my next socially Unpopular Opinion: I don't think actors age better than actresses and are just as dependent on makeup and good lighting to appear well-rested, even toned, and youthful. I think they, like actresses, are at their physical peak between the ages of 20-45 and after that it comes down to lucky genetics, Hollywood magic, or cosmetic procedures.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, slf said:

Very much agreed.

Which brings me to my next socially Unpopular Opinion: I don't think actors age better than actresses and are just as dependent on makeup and good lighting to appear well-rested, even toned, and youthful. I think they, like actresses, are at their physical peak between the ages of 20-45 and after that it comes down to lucky genetics, Hollywood magic, or cosmetic procedures.

I feel like the guys who age the best tend to be the tall, lanky ones with semi-quirky features, like Ryan Gosling or Lee Pace. I can see them both looking really great into their 50's. I honestly didn't find Liam Neeson (who also falls in that category)  sexy until his Kinsey era when he was like already in his early 50's.

Pretty, almost androgynous guys usually don't fare as well such Gael, or hell, Matthew Broderick. (Matthew wasn't androgynous but he had these soft boyishly cute features.)

• Love 3

I tend to think the people (men and women) who look better as they age tend to be ones who grow into their looks.  I think George Clooney is gorgeous now, for example, but I certainly didn't think he was a heart throb when he first showed up on television- nice smile and eyes, but nothing to make me do a double-take.

• Love 9

I didn't like Finding Dory, because to me it felt like the moral of the story was "thinking is BAD!" Frankly, I think the reason the world is so f***ed up right now is because nobody bothers to think anymore. 

I also didn't like the implication that Dory is an infallible saint who is always right and whom everyone should obey and emulate. She was more likable as a scrappy but loyal best friend figure than as a paragon.

I have Finding Dory on my instant Netflix queue, but really, I just never want to watch it. I think I'll remove it. I didn't care for Finding Nemo much. Up is way better.

• Love 1

I always thought Up was overrated.  The best comment I've ever heard regrading Up is (and I'm paraphrasing) "I think most people confuse Up with the first ten minutes of Up."

• Love 13
On 6/8/2017 at 7:16 PM, kiddo82 said:

I always thought Up was overrated.  The best comment I've ever heard regrading Up is (and I'm paraphrasing) "I think most people confuse Up with the first ten minutes of Up."

Yes. The first ten minutes was some next level made-me-cry-like-a-baby shit but the rest of it? I think the fact that everyone singles out the opening as the best part of the entire film is pretty telling. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I always thought the scene towards the end when he sees that Ellie filled up her Adventure Book with pictures of their life together to be even more poignant. The perfect bookend to their story.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 15
On 6/8/2017 at 10:04 AM, Crs97 said:

I tend to think the people (men and women) who look better as they age tend to be ones who grow into their looks.  

That's how I feel about Matt Damon. He was mostly funny looking to me when he broke out in Good Will Hunting , but as time has passed, he's gotten sexy to me. 

• Love 2
(edited)

As far as Pixar movies go, Wall-E would be my first (not that unpopular) - but Ratatouille would be my second. That movie is seriously underrated... 

Edited by Wildcard
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I think Harold and Maude is staggeringly overrated. 

YES! I never found Maude funny or charming or wise. It seriously bothered me that we were expected to cheer for her stealing cars. I know, the 70's, anti-authoritarian era, materialism is evil, but still--how would you feel if that stolen car was yours? I could sort of believe in Harold and Maude as friends, but having sex? No.

• Love 3

Very much agreed.

I agree and disagree. That is, I think it depends on the face we're talking about. In general, yes, I don't buy an older guy with a much younger love interest (unless there's some plot motivated reason) and I do notice wear and tear on actors as much as actresses. However, I also think that culturally, we're conditioned to find certain men attractive for longer than their female counterparts because we've been told that a face with more wear looks better on a man than it does on a woman. I feel like I'm not explaining myself well. Think Clint Eastwood or Robert Redford. Crinkles around the eyes, sun damage, leathery, weather-beaten... I could be describing the hero in a Western or maybe a modern action movie. Whereas Cate Blanchett and Monica Bellucci are still selling skincare and makeup. They need to still look smooth and dewy and as wrinkle free as possible. Now, I agree this doesn't mean much for the guys who can't age into their older faces or when age really takes over (without cosmetic enhancements) and you've got the age spots and the jowls and all the rest of it. 

• Love 3
On 6/8/2017 at 1:23 AM, slf said:

Very much agreed.

A good diet and exercise can factor into that, too, though. It helps when you start that at a young age, but it's never too late to start either! 

• Love 1
On 6/10/2017 at 10:39 AM, slf said:

Yes. The first ten minutes was some next level made-me-cry-like-a-baby shit but the rest of it? I think the fact that everyone singles out the opening as the best part of the entire film is pretty telling. 

On 6/10/2017 at 11:15 AM, JustaPerson said:

I always thought the scene towards the end when he sees that Ellie filled up her Adventure Book with pictures of their life together to be even more poignant. The perfect bookend to their story.

These two comments really highlight that the best parts were indeed those with Ellie and her relation with, what was the main character's name again?

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/9/2017 at 7:39 PM, slf said:

On 6/9/2017 at 8:15 PM, JustaPerson said:

I did ok for the first part, but lost it in the second.  My mom saw it with me and when he took out the book and stopped at what he thought was last filled page, then started to close it, my mom sniffled and said quietly "Oh, turn the page...."  She knew.  So when the end came and he saw what else was in it, yeah, I cried.  But, I agree, most of the stuff in the middle is just ok.  A lot of Pixar movies have some really strong moments and some really weak ones.  I think the most solid Pixar movies are:  Toy Story I & II, Finding Nemo and Inside Out

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

I thought Get Out was just okay. Maybe it's because I'm white. I got that it was subverting horror movie tropes and the commentary about how black people feel being in a white setting, and the things white people say. But as a horror/suspense movie it was just meh. Or maybe it's because I've read too much about it, or it was so hyped.

5 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

I thought Get Out was just okay. Maybe it's because I'm white. I got that it was subverting horror movie tropes and the commentary about how black people feel being in a white setting, and the things white people say. But as a horror/suspense movie it was just meh. Or maybe it's because I've read too much about it, or it was so hyped.

I hate seeing a movie after it's been hyped to the hills--or spoiled . It ruins my enjoyment. Which is why am glad I saw 'When Harry Met Sally' and 'The Crying Game' before people had a chance to tell me there were Important Scenes in those movies.

In terms of Get Out, I totally agree that YMMV. The movie meant a lot to me as a black woman, so I was okay with the horror in it not being The Shining or Poltergeist 

• Love 3

Can I say that I wished instead of Jaye Davidson having been cast as Ra in "Stargate", it had been River Phoenix? Just imagine what HE would have done for the part! Oh, and I still consider his death one of the worst tragedies of the entertainment industry of the latter part of the 20th century.

• Love 2