Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: AKA Start At The Beginning

That was a bit slow, which is usual for Netflix. I'm midly interested in what's going on with Jeri (is that her name?) and surprised to see that apparently, Trish is planning to bertray Jessica. Jessica's origins... we'll see. I don't remember if Luke was created by these guys too or he's a natural. I wonder if we will see him, Matt or Danny.  Some cameo would be nice. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Aw, Whizzer! Why you gotta run away just when Jessica started to believe you?

I'm NOT pumped about Trish possibly backstabbing Jessica, even if she believes she's doing it for the right reasons. Stop it, Trish!

I'm curious if there will be any references to events and/or friendships from The Defenders.

I got about 10 minutes into the episode before I realized I'd started season 1 again by mistake: "Oh, jeeze. There goes the glass in the front door again. Wait a sec ..."

Edited by 2727
  • Love 8

“I never take no for an answer.”

”How very rapey of you.”

Never change Jessica Jones. Man I missed her. I need a giphy of her flipping the bird to the other PI.

I love Malcolm. I love that he’s fixing Jessica’s apartment and trying to build something with her. I love that she FINALLY started teaching him how to “PI.” Lesson one...love it.

Doesn’t Foggy work for Jeri? I hope he pops up. I actually hope SOMEONE shows up from the Defenders. Even if its just for a beer, or a phone call. Whats the point of having a show thay can crossover if we don’t get the fun bits too??

Ugh. The ashes. That really sucks.

Is Whizzer a real Marvel character? I don’t read the comics. 

• Love 13
28 minutes ago, bettername2come said:

So happy to have Jessica back. Best way to celebrate International Women's Day. I don't care for Jeri. Still love Trish. Ready for some action.

It was honestly half way throgh the episode before I figured out why they hadn't released it on a Friday for me.

4 hours ago, 2727 said:

I'm curious if there will be any references to events and/or friendships from The Defenders.

I am kind of ok if those are minimized. I just found Defenders to be, not bad, but just kind of a letdown after years of hype.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It was honestly half way throgh the episode before I figured out why they hadn't released it on a Friday for me.

Heh, it was all the signs at work that cause the penny to drop for me.

1 hour ago, bettername2come said:

I don't care for Jeri.

I'm not sure you're supposed to. She acted pretty deplorably in Season 1.

• Love 5

So glad this show is back. Love Jess, Trish and Malcolm.

I'm assuming there's something shady with the building super and Trish's boyfriend. Just got those vibes from them.

• Love 2
Just now, dkb said:

I'm assuming there's something shady with the building super and Trish's boyfriend. Just got those vibes from them.

I've never seen Trish's boyfriend as a full-on good guy and I don't expect it to start now.

• Love 3

Welcome back Jessica! Still as delightfully angry and drunk as always. Great way to celebrate International Womens Day. Looking forward to getting her power backstory. Are there more people other than Whizzer, Jess, and the melty guy?

Love Malcolm and Trish, as always. Malcolm is a great assistant/person who probably remembers to pay the lighting bills, and I always love Trish, even when shes being mean to people sneaking files out of their job in exchange for weird birthday favors. Dont betray Jessica Trish! She cant handle any more trauma!

Poor Whizzer. At this point in the MCU, if a person told me they had powers, I would believe them, no matter how crazy they seemed. Hell, I half believe the alien lizard chick after all of this. At least to look into. If only he had stopped running when Jess believed him. 

I hope we get some call backs to The Defenders, even if its just someone suggesting Jessica call Danny or Luke in for help, and Jessica shoots it down because she doesn't want them going after someone killing super people, or shes like "I guess I should have seen this coming, I saw a freaking dragon skeleton in the subways" and someone else is like "...what now?" even if we cant get anyone actually showing up. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, 2727 said:

I got about 10 minutes into the episode before I realized I'd started season 1 again by mistake: "Oh, jeeze. There goes the glass in the front door again. Wait a sec ..."

I did the same thing, but I made it all the way to Luke Cage! 

• Love 3

Jessica's back and Killgrave's death nor her little stint with The Defenders has spotted her from being the same awesome, hard-drinking snark-bot that she always is!

A little bit of a slow start, but I still enjoyed it.  It is looking like the big arc this go around is Jessica trying to find out what had happened to her during those twenty missing days and how she likely got her powers.  It also looks like others were created, and something is possibly hunting them.  RIP, Whizzer.

It honestly took me a few seconds to recognize Trish in the Patty get-up.  Rachael Taylor as a ginger made look like a completely different person!  Glad we got plenty of Trish, but I certainly hope she doesn't end up betraying Jessica.

On the other hand, good old Jeri Hogarth seems prepped to take on Jessica, by representing the rival P.I., although I'm sure Jeri has her own nefarious reasons for it.  Cool seeing Terry Chen as Cheng.

I'm guessing this new superintendent will play a huge role going forward.  Same with Trish's new squeeze.

Looks like Simpson is lurking around.

Malcolm truly is the best employee of all time! 

• Love 2

Hogarth is already back to doing sketchy shit.   Jesus,  you'd think she cut it out after everything she's been through.   She was acting decent in the Defenders though,  so I'll wait to see her plan. 

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, 2727 said:

I'm NOT pumped about Trish possibly backstabbing Jessica, even if she believes she's doing it for the right reasons. Stop it, Trish!

Same thing happened to me. It seems that I started watching Season 1 with one profile and ended with another.

So, here I am, yesterday, ready to start season 2. I press play and... Killgrave opens his eyes. 

Wow. I didn't expect that.

It took me about 3 minutes to realize that I was watching episode 9 from the first season.

Luckily my wife was not around. A couple of months ago I readied my TV to watch Madrid-Barça (soccer) in 4K. I got the URL addresses from my ISP, entered them and started watching.

My wife:

- It seems that Ronaldo changed his hairstyle again.

Me:

My wife:

- Why is that guy there? Didn't he leave this summer?

Me: * Realizes has been watching a rerun from last year's match because entered the wrong URL. For 20 minutes. Bangs head. *

Edited by reycat
  • Love 7

I'm glad it's back. 

Waiting for the English guy to turn out to be a big bad. Tired of the lawyer stabbing Jessica in the back, if that's what she's doing. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Anela said:

Tired of the lawyer stabbing Jessica in the back, if that's what she's doing. 

About that, isn't it a massive legal conflict of interest for Geri to represent someone suing Jessica when she has already represented Jessica (and knows her personally, and has hired her for PI work)?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

About that, isn't it a massive legal conflict of interest for Geri to represent someone suing Jessica when she has already represented Jessica (and knows her personally, and has hired her for PI work)?

Not necessarily.  As long as Jeri isn't currently representing Jessica in another legal matter (and/or this one) and discloses her past history with Jessica to the new client, it should be fine in terms of legal ethics.  In terms of morality..., well, it's Jeri Hogarth, so fuck morality.  That all said, I'm not actually a lawyer, so if any lawyers, especially those in New York State want to weigh in, that'd be good.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 3

Murdoch was representing Jessica in the winter.   Of course,  he's "dead ", so that's iffy.   We know Jessica usually uses Hogarth, Chow & be benewitz. And not only to them being her usual lawyrs they also occasionally employ her.   The entire situation is as Cluterfuck. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, johntfs said:

Not necessarily.  As long as Jeri isn't currently representing Jessica in another legal matter (and/or this one) and discloses her past history with Jessica to the new client, it should be fine in terms of legal ethics.  In terms of morality..., well, it's Jeri Hogarth, so fuck morality.  That all said, I'm not actually a lawyer, so if any lawyers, especially those in New York State want to weigh in, that'd be good.

I'm no lawyer but the issue I would see is that Hogarth has a dut to represent her client Cheng to the best of her ability. She also has a duty to Jessica to protect any information she knows about her covered under attorney-client privilege. What happens if a situation arises where the only way to best represent Cheng is to violate Jessica's attorney-clirnt privilege? I think that is why this kind of thing is frowned upon.

• Love 5

I also started watching S1 and was confused because I couldn't recall the timeline for S2 in the Marvel Netflix universe.

I basically was chanting "Please be a good guy, please be a good guy" about Griffin because, please.

When that box went flying, I thought oh nooooooooooo! Malcolm was so sweet trying to gather all of the ashes with two sheets of paper (because OF COURSE Jessica doesn't have a broom and a dustpan).

Griffin and one of the guys at the police station had sketchy written all over them.

• Love 6

Kristen Ritter continues to impress with her nuanced portrayal of Jessica. I love how they can make her an utter asshole towards people, and yet she reveals enough of the vulnerability underneath to allow us to sympathise with her. We can see how much the death of Jessica’s family haunts her to this day, we can see her anger and pain over what Kilgrave did to her, we can see Jessica’s self loathing and internal confusion and doubt.

I loved the opening scene. Jessica calling the restaurant owner out on her plot to murder and giving her the choice between vigilante and hero was so Jessica :D . I also loved that they really added layers to it by revealing Jessica’s aversion to the request was rooted in her self doubt and confusion. That the murder of Kilgrave left her with the question; is she now a killer by nature?

I love that the Jessica and Trish dynamic has not been forgotten. The bond between them was one of my favourite aspects of season one. I’m not sure what to think of their current dispute. It certainly raises an interesting question. On the one hand, she has no right to keep talking about Jessica’s story if it is making it more difficult for her to move on with her life. However, if Trish is right and her words are promoting tolerance towards ‘super’ should the personal preferences of one come before the community? Personally, I am on Team Jessica but I can see where Trish is coming from.

Another aspect of the episode I enjoyed was the dynamic between Malcolm and Jessica. Jessica may renounce the title of hero, but she certainly has the instinct to save people as shown by her embracing Malcom’s presence after the death of Wizzer and a tender moment between them. 

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, johntfs said:

6 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I'm no lawyer but the issue I would see is that Hogarth has a dut to represent her client Cheng to the best of her ability. She also has a duty to Jessica to protect any information she knows about her covered under attorney-client privilege. What happens if a situation arises where the only way to best represent Cheng is to violate Jessica's attorney-clirnt privilege? I think that is why this kind of thing is frowned upon.

Jeri and her firm had absolutely no business personally representing Cheng. Firms used to erect what was called a Chinese Wall. This would allow a firm to represent a client who had an conflict with another client or former client as long as the conflicted lawyer had no interaction with both clients in order to maintain Jessica's confidentiality and attorney client privilege. That's not what happens now. Jeri should have recommended to Cheng that he go to another firm to sue Jessica.

https://www.americanbar.org/newsletter/publications/gp_solo_magazine_home/gp_solo_magazine_index/solo_lawyer_conflicts_ethics_client.html

• Love 5

So, I was hesitant on starting season 2 because I've fallen severely behind with the Marvel Netflix shows. I haven't been able to get past episode 2 of Luke Cage, and since I have a weird OCD thing with watching things in order, I haven't gotten to Iron Fist, The Defenders, or The Punisher. However, I love me some Jessica Jones so I'm going to sit down and watch, and hope not too much is spoiled when I inevitably go back to watch at least The Defenders after I'm done here. 

I wish I had rewatched season 1, because there were many momentst that made me pause as I couldn't remember details of season 1. 

I do like how we're actually going to dive into Jessica's past, especially in regards to her family's deaths. I think that it's great to explore these inner feelings and memories, or lack of memories with IGH. I really do love character-driven stories, and this is certainly one.

Oh, how I wish Trish's British boyfriend was going to be a good guy, but I'm willing to bet that I'm not that lucky, nor is Trish. It would be great if he remained good, but all I can think is how he could be using her to get to Jessica and her powers. It was nice to actually be plopped well into their relationship. Seeing Jessica friendly with him was actually kind of nice, though it's likely to blow up in her face. 

So, something's wrong with Jeri. I can't even think of what it could be.

As for the new characters, they were interesting enough. Sad that The Whizzer lasted only to this episode. He might have been fun to continue to watch. Cheng is a fascinating character to me as well.  The new super is going to either be an enemy to Jessica or an ally. I'm curious to see which one. Right now, I'm leaning toward a shady ally. 

Overall, solid start as well. Hopefully I don't get too confused with not having watched The Defenders. I just can't wait any longer with how far I've fallen behind on the universe, and I'm not waiting an extra week to catch up. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, I was hesitant on starting season 2 because I've fallen severely behind with the Marvel Netflix shows. I haven't been able to get past episode 2 of Luke Cage, and since I have a weird OCD thing with watching things in order, I haven't gotten to Iron Fist, The Defenders, or The Punisher. However, I love me some Jessica Jones so I'm going to sit down and watch, and hope not too much is spoiled when I inevitably go back to watch at least The Defenders after I'm done here. 

I wish I had rewatched season 1, because there were many momentst that made me pause as I couldn't remember details of season 1. 

I do like how we're actually going to dive into Jessica's past, especially in regards to her family's deaths. I think that it's great to explore these inner feelings and memories, or lack of memories with IGH. I really do love character-driven stories, and this is certainly one.

Oh, how I wish Trish's British boyfriend was going to be a good guy, but I'm willing to bet that I'm not that lucky, nor is Trish. It would be great if he remained good, but all I can think is how he could be using her to get to Jessica and her powers. It was nice to actually be plopped well into their relationship. Seeing Jessica friendly with him was actually kind of nice, though it's likely to blow up in her face. 

As for the new characters, they were interesting enough. Sad that The Whizzer lasted only to this episode. He might have been fun to continue to watch. Cheng is a fascinating character to me as well.  The new super is going to either be an enemy to Jessica or an ally. I'm curious to see which one. Right now, I'm leaning toward a shady ally. 

Overall, solid start as well. Hopefully I don't get too confused with not having watched The Defenders. I just can't wait any longer with how far I've fallen behind on the universe, and I'm not waiting an extra week to catch up. 

I’ve watched as far as episode 9 and there have been few, if any, references to the Defenders. As long as you’ve watched season one of Jessica Jones you should have no problem with this season :)

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I've watched the whole thing and I honestly don't a remember a single reference to the Defenders or Luke Cage or anything that would confuse anyone that didn't watch any of the others shows.  This season was only about the characters in Jessica Jones. The only show you would have to have watched would be the first season of Jessica Jones. :D

• Love 5
On 3/8/2018 at 3:38 PM, 2727 said:

All right, I haven't watched Jessica Jones season 2 yet, I just wanted to get an impression of it before I watched it.  I'm halfway through The Punisher right now, then I'll watch it.  

But I got so excited when I read that the Whizzer is going to be on here!  I have fond memories of him in the comics.  This is the second "fast" superhero introduced to the Marvel Universe.  Unfortunately, they killed Quicksilver - too bad, because I liked him.  I hope the Whizzer fares better.  Hope they give him a decent costume instead of having him wear street clothes like all the other Marvel Netflix characters (except Daredevil).

• Love 2
5 hours ago, rmontro said:

All right, I haven't watched Jessica Jones season 2 yet, I just wanted to get an impression of it before I watched it.  I'm halfway through The Punisher right now, then I'll watch it.  

But I got so excited when I read that the Whizzer is going to be on here!  I have fond memories of him in the comics.  This is the second "fast" superhero introduced to the Marvel Universe.  Unfortunately, they killed Quicksilver - too bad, because I liked him.  I hope the Whizzer fares better.  Hope they give him a decent costume instead of having him wear street clothes like all the other Marvel Netflix characters (except Daredevil).

Interesting that they brought in the character, I had never hearr of him before. Looked him up and surprised they didn’t use the original character's name. The original Whizzer came out in 1941 a few months after Captain America abd Bucky, and a few years before Patsy Walker.

• Love 1

Didn't watch it all the way through yet, but what the hell happened to her face?  Looks like she lost weight and her lower lip looks swollen - gotta go back to Season 1 - don't remember her looking like that.

So it didn't take Jessica long to reset herself, did it? Self destructive, poor impulse control, pushing away the people who care about her. I'm glad, in a way, that killing Kilgrave hasn't been presented as a magical fix for her.

She's still a pain in the ass, and she always will be. But I love the dynamic between her, Trish and Malcolm. The two do-gooders, trying their best to help someone who doesn't want help, Jessica firing Malcolm and him just ignoring it. Who would have thought that the sketchy druggie from the beginning of season 1 would become such a pillar of moral strength? And for a moment, I thought Trish had really fallen on hard times, doing birthday parties as Patsy (and singing... not very well), but of course she'd humiliate herself like that for Jessica.

I'm not here for romance, so the love interests for both Jessica and Trish left me cold. At least, I assume that the new building super with the son is going to be one for Jessica.  But I will say it seems likely that Trish's boyfriend will end up being bad news... again.

Terry Chen as the antagonist seems too... small for this show. Presumably, he'll be a secondary bad guy who gets caught up in whatever is happening with IGH. Jeri is always a wild card, but I do find it interesting that they can frame her as a villain in this, but a good guy in Iron Fist (at least, she was in the episodes I watched) and both work. I guess that's a valid commentary on lawyers.

I did laugh when that guy called himself the Whizzer, both because of the Golden Age hero, and because Jessica saying "I bet [that's what they called you]" was amusing. But I'm glad he was killed off, because those fast running effects were lame. 

But they had Jess for seventeen days, without anyone knowing where she was, and what they were doing? Which means they're a seriously powerful organisation. My only concern is that this company "making monsters" is a licence for monster-of-the-week stuff, and I don't think Netflix shows in general, or Jessica Jones in particular, are suitable for anything remotely episodic. This is long-form storytelling, and it's what I come to their shows to get.

• Love 1

Good episode.  I very much enjoyed the premiere. 

Poor Jessica...she always ends up back at rock bottom.  I enjoyed that scene the pizza owner very much.  Still greatly enjoy the Jessica/Trish friendship.  Nice to see Malcolm playing an even bigger part in this show.

Certainly didn't expect to see The Whizzer of all characters pop up in any Marvel product.  I enjoy bringing in more "powers" to the world of Jessica Jones.

On 3/10/2018 at 6:53 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When that box went flying, I thought oh nooooooooooo! Malcolm was so sweet trying to gather all of the ashes with two sheets of paper (because OF COURSE Jessica doesn't have a broom and a dustpan).

That moment was so crushing because there's no undoing it. Even though he tried it's just...not right...not the same. I almost couldn't bear to watch it. It's a damn good thing she had no broom. A broom for that would be worse because there'd be no way to ensure some wasn't still remaining caught in the broom. Using paper was probably one of the least bad options. Still some of her brother is probably permanently in that floor. This show is really efficient at being depressing.

• Love 2

Finally watched this.  Okay, obviously that version of The Whizzer is not quite the same as the comic book version lol.  I enjoyed that they dressed him in the appropriate yellow and blue colors though, even if he didn't have a costume.  It was also nice to see the special effects showing his powers, it struck me that you don't see that kind of thing on the Marvel Netflix series very often.  But they killed him off, just like they did Quicksilver!  What does Marvel have against onscreen speedster characters?

You notice that this show seems to have its own color palette?  Not sure what they're doing, but they use vivid colors instead of the dark surroundings so many TV shows use these days.  A happy change from trying to figure out what is going on among all those shadows.  Nice to see, and pleasing to the eye.

• Love 1

Hubby and I finally got time to start watching S2 last night.

This episode felt like a good, solid start to the new season.  Jessica's reaction to seeing what was in the storage box Trish brought over was so well done, and I actually shed a couple of tears later when Malcolm was gently brushing the ashes up onto the paper while Jessica just sat there and wept, too drained to do anything else.  Jessica and Trish's relationship will always be my favorite, but Jessica and Malcolm are a close second.

I have no familiarity at all with the comics, so I had never heard of Whizzer, but his story and the way they kept coming back to him made me wonder if he really was telling the truth about his come-and-go powers.

I didn't really understand about Jeri trying to......hire Jessica again via Chen?  They completely lost me on that one.  I thought it was hilarious though that Chen spent all that time fronting trying to intimidate Jessica, all 'look at me I'm so influential and powerful and you will eventually cave!' and then she just went and stole back that guy's dog and literally snatched Chen's client out from under his nose.  Ha!  Her 'I so do not have time for this sh!t' attitude just amuses me.

• Love 2

I'm just starting the season. Finally. I liked how Jessica killing Kilgrave (I still laugh at how she trolled him for his name) is actually public knowledge. 

I wasn't getting the impression Trish was betraying Jessica though. I like her though and how she's going to do her. 

I don't know anything much about the MU but I felt bad for the Whizzer.

• Love 1
On 3/9/2018 at 4:42 PM, tennisgurl said:

Poor Whizzer. At this point in the MCU, if a person told me they had powers, I would believe them, no matter how crazy they seemed. Hell, I half believe the alien lizard chick after all of this. At least to look into. If only he had stopped running when Jess believed him. 

Spoiler

Maybe she's talking about Skrulls? Maybe we'll get a Secret War. 

• Love 1

I binged Season 1 and now I'm back!

The thing I thought was odd was that if Jeri hired Chen to get at Jessica, why didn't he know she was super?  He was talking about "taking" her in a fight and all I could think was "Didn't he know that she is super strong? He's barking up the wrong tree."  Once Jeri was revealed, I then wondered why she didn't warn Chen not to throw punches at Jessica. Evil bitch. 

I'm going to assume Chen was trying to show he was a man by saying he could take Jessica. Or he didn't believe she was a super because she doesn't look super strong. That's why I wish Jessica would fly already so she doesn't have people questioning what she can do. Right now all it looks like she has strength and a very high tolerance for liquor. 

On 3/10/2018 at 3:42 PM, HunterHunted said:

Jeri and her firm had absolutely no business personally representing Cheng. Firms used to erect what was called a Chinese Wall. This would allow a firm to represent a client who had an conflict with another client or former client as long as the conflicted lawyer had no interaction with both clients in order to maintain Jessica's confidentiality and attorney client privilege. That's not what happens now. Jeri should have recommended to Cheng that he go to another firm to sue Jessica.

https://www.americanbar.org/newsletter/publications/gp_solo_magazine_home/gp_solo_magazine_index/solo_lawyer_conflicts_ethics_client.html

Just getting to Jessica Jones.  (I was delayed for a long time by trying to slog through Punisher, Iron Fist, etc and failing at it.) 

NY lawyer here -- you are exactly right that Jeri and her firm CANNOT represent Cheng against Jessica.  It's not even a gray area.  Assuming that Jessica isn't a current client of the firm - not a safe assumption given the nature of their relationship (and the issue is considered entirely from what is reasonable for Jessica to expect as the client, not Hogarth's perspective) - she is still a former client of the firm.  A lawyer cannot represent anyone against a former client in a matter that is substantially related to the prior representation or in which confidences learned previously would be helpful.  You could make an argument about the first test but Jerri has absolutely learned things from the prior representation that would be incredibly helpful in a lawsuit by Cheng.  In addition, Hogarth engineered the confrontation between the two so she has a financial interest in that fight (because of Hogarth's potential liability to Chen) so she is conflicted for that reason too. 

One nitpick - Chinese Walls are still used in NY and are recognized by the courts.  They don't apply to current clients and probably would not be tolerated here because it's one of the name partners who was handling the prior representation.  

And one caveat - big firms draft retainers for some clients that include "advance waivers" against certain claims of conflict.  It might be possible to draft one that would technically cover this situation but given what we've been shown in Season 1, that waiver would be held ineffective by a court if it were presented with all the evidence truthfully.  (A big "if" in Hogarth's case.)

• Love 2

I’m behind on my streaming, thanks to living in the boonies. Just watched season 2 episode 1 & I would have sworn Trish was played by a different actress.  Did no one else see this? Makeover, surgery?