Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: High School Poppycock

MostlyC

So Lucifer is airing on Sundays in Canada again. I hope it's not a one-time things because Mondays have too much for me to watch.

I'm not a fan of shows doing an opening scene with a main character in mortal danger when it's obviously a dream.

Were all the characters' names at the high school reunion taken from YA stories? The names of Max Evans and Isabel Deluca were clearly taken from Roswell, but I don't know about the other names.

• Love 1

LOL at Maze's revenge on Dr. Linda and Amenadial, but I do hope they all make up soon!

And I loved Luci creating a prom for Chloe, even giving her a corsage.  

No Pierce this week, but it I imagine he'll be back next week, since Lucifer has a "time travel?" brainstorm!!

• Love 5

I really enjoyed this epsiode. I liked Chloe getting into the book and unknowingly staying up all night reading it. Maze and Trixie were cute together. I enjoyed Maze's revenge and Lucifer throwing that Prom for Chloe was the sweetest thing ever. I really do like those two together. All in all, a very entertaining episode.

• Love 9

They've done a reunion ep before, right?

Chloe is just really turning into an idiot.  And i do not give a fart about Linda and whoever she's sleeping with. I'm finding myself doing other things during these eps these days.

Edited by janeta
  • Love 1

Was the ME's neon wig and stuff with Chloe important?  Or just to assure us that the ME I liked last year is gone forever?  

The Blind Date for Linda was too: silly, mindless, socially inept, and less attractive that he needed to be.  Or is Maze so clueless that she presented a date that nobody would welcome.  If so, did she think Linda would go for the Blind Date and forget Amenadude?  If any one, anywhere in time would make that choice?  What a choice slot for a real hunk.

Those quibbles aside, so glad Lucifer is back.

• Love 1

Chloe being oblivious is getting ridiculous.. He says my dad put a curse on a guy and she shrugs it off as a metaphor?..  Trixie and maze were cute together.. As usual I feel sad for amenadiel.. the show's fave punching bag.. No powers No purpose No support from his brother after brutal breakup.. Because Lucifer was too busy slow dancing... And maze was super shitty to throw in that dig abt his dad... My only hope is that we get a pissed off amenadiel after this... Poor Linda as well... These celestials have invaded her life and she can't have anything for her own.. Unless we get a tiny nephalim before too long... Maybe that's amenadiel's true purpose  its not like anything is happening with Lucifer.. Who will always put amenadiel in the backup role

• Love 4

Yeah, a second reunion show?!  I dunno, maybe I expect too much? But the thrill is gone, I waited 3 weeks for this? Boring.  Looks a lot like Castle re runs without any immortal storylines on screen.  

I thought for sure Linda was going to say she couldn't be involved with a non human, but nope, just plain old guilt.  Why not just as Maze for permission? (Girl code!)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Was the ME's neon wig and stuff with Chloe important?  Or just to assure us that the ME I liked last year is gone forever?  

The Blind Date for Linda was too: silly, mindless, socially inept, and less attractive that he needed to be.  Or is Maze so clueless that she presented a date that nobody would welcome.  If so, did she think Linda would go for the Blind Date and forget Amenadude?  If any one, anywhere in time would make that choice?  What a choice slot for a real hunk.

Ella was trying to get Chloe to have fun and cut loose.  Chloe referenced this later; she'd been so busy as a child actor, she'd had no time for fun, and no prom, as she'd had tutors.

The blind date wasn't supposed to be fun.  Maze was torturing Linda and Amenadiel-that was the whole point of the blind date.  It was just "luck" that Lucifer had asked Maze to keep Todd from the reunion so that he could attend; otherwise she would have found some other shlub.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 16
34 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Maze was torturing Linda and Amenadiel-that was the whole point of the blind date. 

Thank you, itcouldbeworse.  I totally forgot that Maze lives to torture and subtlety isn't her thing, at all.

• Love 2

Fuck Maze. She's a toddler. Yes, they lied to her. But if she had ever been capable of being a grown-up, she wouldn't have forbidden them from seeing each other and they would have told her. I just think about Susan Feniger introducing her ex-husband to her best friend, Mary Sue Milliken. The two of them have been married for 30 years now. That's what grown ups do. If she was grown she would have been capable of being honest with Amenadiel about the depth of her feelings for him.

Chloe geeking out about the books was really funny.

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

But if she had ever been capable of being a grown-up, she wouldn't have forbidden them from seeing each other and they would have told her.

She's not an adult or a toddler; she's a demon and not used to emotions.  The idea of them dating made her feel bad, something new to her.  If Linda wanted to date Amenadiel, she should have helped Maze deal with those feelings instead of lying to her.

1 hour ago, enoughcats said:

I totally forgot that Maze lives to torture and subtlety isn't her thing, at all.

She told Trixie that she was going to teach them a lesson.

• Love 16
7 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She's not an adult or a toddler; she's a demon and not used to emotions.  The idea of them dating made her feel bad, something new to her.  If Linda wanted to date Amenadiel, she should have helped Maze deal with those feelings instead of lying to her.

She told Trixie that she was going to teach them a lesson.

Clearly, I don't appreciate this aspect of her character. I think she used to be written with far more subtlety and nuance. The Maze who got into a relationship and out of a relationship with Amenadiel was someone who had an understanding of her self worth and dignity. Those are sophisticated concepts that Maze doesn't get when the show wants to forget that she knows these things. Even her conversation with Trixie proves that she's capable of nuance unless the show wants to have her forget it. The writing stinks and is inconsistent. They've done the same thing to Lucifer too.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

While I can accept that Maze's immature reaction was due to the fact that she's not used to any of this, I don't think that the blame should be on Linda. Linda is human and a person. Lying was the wrong decision but contrary to Maze, she is used to feelings and her decision was probably based on the feeling that she didn't want to hurt Maze. She wanted to do the right thing a couple of episodes ago but it didn't work out, so she lied. It's very human. She's not perfect and she's not everyone's therapist and I think she has a right to a personal life. Maze and Amenadiel are part of that more than they are part of her professional life, so I don't think Linda should have been expected to help Maze any more than Maze was is expected to know how to deal with emotions.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

While I can accept that Maze's immature reaction was due to the fact that she's not used to any of this, I don't think that the blame should be on Linda. Linda is human and a person. Lying was the wrong decision but contrary to Maze, she is used to feelings and her decision was probably based on the feeling that she didn't want to hurt Maze. She wanted to do the right thing a couple of episodes ago but it didn't work out, so she lied. It's very human. She's not perfect and she's not everyone's therapist and I think she has a right to a personal life. Maze and Amenadiel are part of that more than they are part of her professional life, so I don't think Linda should have been expected to help Maze any more than Maze was is expected to know how to deal with emotions.

Sure, but if someone is your friend, lying to her about a pretty major thing that is bound to come out sooner or later is not a good choice.  Maybe she needed to tell Maze what she planned to do, in effect choosing her relationship with Amenadiel over her relationship with Maze, and that was her choice.  I just don't like the lies.  Amenadiel was lying by omission too, but he hadn't agreed not to date Linda, and he wasn't letting Maze think that he was her best friend while doing so, so to me there is a difference.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

The writing stinks and is inconsistent. They've done the same thing to Lucifer too.

Yep, this show used to be so good, is it because they changed the time to 8:00? 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

The show also seems to have forgotten that Lucifer and Maze have been topside for 7 or 8 years. Neither should be as clueless as the show sometimes portrays them as. 

I don't think that either of them, especially Maze, formed real connections with humans until Chloe entered their lives.

• Love 2

I’m not sure what I’m watching anymore. It’s just become a run of the mill drama/soap/procedural. I tried to fast forward through scenes but was watching live. 

• Love 1

to fast forward through scenes but was watching live

Lol me too.  I had the thought what this show needs is less "Castle" and more "Supernatural.". Castiel does a really good not human angel.   

Girl code says Linda should have asked Maze for approval to date her ex.  The fact no one knew this was the most high school thing in the episode, imo. 

• Love 4

This was terrible. Boring. Seeing Trixie was the only bright spot. I usually lol at least once an episode but nope.

No on the romantic Lucifer and Chloe and no on the stupid Linda/Amen/Maze triangle. Don't date him because he's an ANGEL Linda and where the heck does a relationship go with a heavenly being?!  I was looking forward to seeing her try to help Charlotte and work through her own ptsd but nope it has to be about a man.

so disappointing. I had to read a magazine while watching and try not to gag during the multiple sappy dr Linda/Amen scenes.

• Love 2

The problem I have with the Maze jealousy issue, is I never got a sense that she and Amend were ever really together. I never believed that she cared anything about monogamy. I thought they banged a couple of times without much emotional connection. On a recent episode, she was ready to go after Charlotte Richards.  I never saw the progression with Maze and Amend as a relationship. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Commando Cody said:

The problem I have with the Maze jealousy issue, is I never got a sense that she and Amend were ever really together. I never believed that she cared anything about monogamy. I thought they banged a couple of times without much emotional connection. On a recent episode, she was ready to go after Charlotte Richards.  I never saw the progression with Maze and Amend as a relationship. 

Same problem I had witg all of this.. But then I thought abt it like this... Lucifer has pretty much dumped maze for his infatuation with Chloe.. And now pierce... So the only connections maze had left were amenadiel (to a small degree... Maybe even a bit more than  she would like to admit)  and Linda who is her best friend and human life coach.. And the two of them together means she's left on the outside again( thanks to another blonde human woman)  so she reacted.. Poorly and to me its no excuse.. But it may be the rational behind it all

• Love 4

Yeah, didn't we just do a high school reunion episode? I did like seeing Chloe getting super into the YA book series, and the dance between Chloe and Lucifer was actually pretty sweet, but it was a bit...average. I like this show best when it mixes the supernatural stuff with the procedural stuff, and this one seemed pretty solidly procedural. Its not an awful procedural (I liked this episode well enough), but it isn't what I signed up for. 

Girl code states that Linda has to ask Maze if she can date her ex, and, in my experience, Maze would then say it was fine, as long as Maze and Ami weren't a serious relationship. And since I never thought Ami and Maze were super serious, I think that would be fine. Really, I think Maze being jealous could be more interesting if they played it as more her being a demon who doesn't totally get why she feels like this, and how she is learning how to be human. But it just being a kind of half assed love triangle is rather boring. Especially because I really like Ami and Linda, and I think they're a cute couple. 

Trixie sighting! I also giggled when Dan was like "hey, he looks just like you!" when they showed a picture of the nerd guy Lucifer would have to pretend to be. And when Dan gave Lucifer the classic improve "Yes, and..." advice, and Lucifer tried to do it. Really, I just love Dan and Lucifer interaction, and want them to hang out more. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Commando Cody said:

There was a interesting line dropped around the time she said she didn't want them to date. She didn't want to feel left out. I think her issues with the relationship are more about her friendship with Linda and not really about her feelings for amediel. That and being lied to. I don't really have patience for Maze and her whining at this point but I get it.

• Love 7

I loved it, I saw lots of things I liked. The case wasn't horrible and as someone who writes tons of fics, I enjoyed the stuff about the fandom. Also, when the editor was arrested and Lucifer started to get angry, he was terrifying, as he should be. What else? Yes, I ship Lucifer/Chloe, so the last scene made me happy, even if a couple of episodes ago Chloe was lusting after Pierce, but okay. Even better, Luci is thinking again of telling her. And his crazy plan of going back in time? Awesome. Even if he doesn't manage to do it, the fact that he's going to try is great, that's the kind of plots this show should have. 

So it wasn't perfect, but I liked what they did, I think there's still hope for this show.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Rushmoras said:

So... Lucifer is going to travel back in time to the Stone Age or something? Like, how? With a bag of LSD?

Shouldn’t he be smart enough to realize how much that will screw with history? Or does he just not care? 

Actually, I kind of wanted them to do more in the fandom stuff, I think, as long as it didn't turn into "Look at these internet loving freaks!" or something, it could have been more fun and unique than doing a random high school reunion episode (again!) that somehow made Chloe nostalgic for high school. Although, maybe that wouldnt have ended well. That fansite they showed looked like it more from the late 90s/early 00s than from 2018. 

The special effects of Chloe falling off the building looked hilarious. The obvious fake Chloe was flailing about with the fake background rushing around, it just looked so silly. It looked like something from a parody instead of an actual show. I know this show has to stay within budget, but its normally better at hiding its budget than that. It looked like someone created a Chloe shaped balloon and tossed it onto a green screen. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

I guess it was about that time for the show to do their take on the whole "young adult novel" phenomenon, although it pretty much boiled down to another "high school reunion" episode, and more about Chloe never having a normal school life.  I wish we had saw more of the YA stuff like the fan fiction guy and how crazy the fandom can be. Although, some aspects reminded me more of non-YA real life novel and series: the whole "writer's block" aspect made me think of George R.R. Martin and how long it's taking him to finish A Song of Ice & Fire series, and the bit where the author got into a Twitter fight made me think of the times J.K. Rowling shuts down trolls (she's really quite good at it!)  But in the end, I had a feeling it would be the editor.

The double date from hell was a win in my book due to Amenadiel's reactions (D.B. Woodside really has great facial reactions), and while I do think Maze is being childish, I did think Lesley-Ann Brandt did a great job showing how hurt Maze is, even if comes from a selfish and maybe immature level.  I do think its less about her still have feelings for Amenadiel himself, and she feels betrayed by Linda.  It's a tricky situation, I think.  Normally, I would say Linda really should have come clean, but since Maze is a bit of dagger-wielding demon, I can see why Linda would not want to get anywhere close to her bad side.  But if Linda and Amenadiel truly do love one another, hopefully Maze will learn to be a bigger person and let them be happy.

Lucifer/Chloe's "prom" moment was nice.

Yay, Trixie sighting!

Not enough Dan.

So, it sounds like Lucifer wants to somehow go back in time and prevent Pierce/Cain from getting cursed?  How will he do that?  Of course, when it comes to a British guy wanting to go back in time, I just automatically assume it will involve a TARDIS.

• Love 1

I thought it was pretty obvious that he was thinking if he can prevent Cain from killing Abel, then there's no reason for the curse.  He mentioned that if he takes away the reason for the curse, he takes away the curse.  Not that changing the first murder would have a ripple effect at all...

• Love 3

I enjoyed the double date. I agree with others that it's not Amenadude dating that Maze has problems with, but that she's scared of losing Linda and felt betrayed by the lies. Even though Maze has been on Earth and in LA for a number of years, finding a friend is a relatively new concept. When Dr. Linda told her she should try to make friends and not simply be w/ Luci, Maze's first friend was Trixie. Then Linda and she's remained Maze's best friend, so this betrayal struck particularly close to home. I doubt the anger and hurt will last too many more episodes, but, if it lasts longer than two, I will be disappointed.

So, this was the big 16th High School Reunion. Is that a big one? I remember going to my 10th. Then, we didn't have any until a few people organized a 25th. Would the 16th really draw people from all over the world, even those off the grid?

I didn't miss Pearce!Cain.

I have never gone to any reunions but I know that for my 10th out of a class of over 300 only 50 or so people came and for the 25th it was about 70.   So I find any depictions of reunions with EVERYONE coming back to be way exaggerated but YMMV of course.

Reunion episodes are always kind of weird to me, but then my high school class never bothered to put one together.

This was an all right episode, but too heavy on the procedural aspect for me (it was a good procedural, but still).  Other than Lucifer's dream at the beginning there was no supernatural aspects at all, not even a "tell me what you desire" scene.

I did like Linda had her moment, she knew she was being selfish, but all the Celestials come to her with their problems, so I can understand her feelings.  And as for Maze's reactions, she is a demon, and to quote another famous demon: "You humans have too many emotions!  All you need are anger and confusion!"

On 2/27/2018 at 4:35 PM, Ria said:

Shouldn’t he be smart enough to realize how much that will screw with history? Or does he just not care? 

I don't think this has to do with going back in time to eliminate the murder (if it was, they are making Cain pretty likeable for that plot twist) but maybe somehow having Abel come forward in time. I also think that Cain just dying isn't in the cards - he would just spend eternity in hell instead of on Earth. BUT - remember the statement in the story arc where Chloe almost died from Season 2 that (1) people commit themselves to hell, not Lucifer and that (2) there is a way out of hell - that's been in at least two story arcs  - must be a reason for that.

Also, I am surprised at the negativity about this episode. it wasn't quite as good as the previous show but IMO as good as most Season 2 shows

• Love 1

The season definitely has lost it's spark. The best part of this ep was hearing "Only You" even though I doubt it would have played at Chloe's prom. It's an early '80's "new wave/alternative" song.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2018 at 9:35 PM, Ria said:

Maybe he'll do it (Is time travel something he can do?) and he'll get back to now and find that Chloe never got born!!!  Ooops.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, CuddlerOfDragons said:

Maybe he'll do it (Is time travel something he can do?) and he'll get back to now and find that Chloe never got born!!!  Ooops.

That’s actually just what I was thinking. :)

This episode was okay. I do like Maze and Linda's friendship and hope that gets fixed soon. Getting Maze to live with Chloe and Trixie was one of the better moves for the character. She's been able to develop independent of Lucifer.

However, I agree with others that the show is kinda boring. I don't really care about the Cain story and the COTW format, while amusing, gets old. I need some more mythology sprinkled in. I know we sorta know about Chloe's purpose, but I feel there is much more to that story that needs to be explored.