Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 2/26/18

Jaded
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, backformore said:

Meghan said the school shooter "should have been arrested". she blames "law enforcement".

First, he was investigated. If he had been arrested, he would have been out soon anyway. yes, he made threats.  But how long does she think people go to jail for making threats?  We, as a country believing in people's rights, do not have a system where we put people in prison for long periods of time because we believe they MIGHT commit a crime.  When someone commits a crime, you can't chalk it up to a failure in the law enforcement system when he had not committed crimes in the past.   Yes, he exhibited "worrisome behavior."  But we don't have a way to force people into treatment when they deteriorate.  He had depression, his mom had recently died, he "acted weird"  according to people who knew him.   Blaming law enforcement?  what did she think they could do?  You can't force medication or mental health treatment on someone who is not convicted of a crime, you can't take away a person's freedoms because of what people are afraid he might do.  There are no "authorities"  who can step in and make sure someone does not commit a crime. 

AND -   he was legally entitled to have the gun he used, thanks to "second amendment people."  

So, maybe a ban on assault rifles?  No, she doesn't want that.  she wants law enforcement to have the ability to predict future behavior and lock people up because of crimes they are going to do. 

Let's also not forget how many false reports of suspicious dangerous people are given to law enforcement.  They can only do so much with the resources they have.  As with any tragedy hindsight is 20/20.

• Love 14
(edited)

Meghan sounds like what she wants the U.S. to do is Civil Commitment.  I don't know if that's a real thing, but I learned about it on Law & Order; where ADA Jack McCoy wanted to put a 10 year old serial killing child into that, because he KNEW, everyone KNEW, she would kill again. But that wasn't legal on the show, and it's definitely not legal in real life. I wonder if she watched Law & Order? Naaah. Too libural for her.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, JakeyJokes said:

Meghan is sounding more and more like my usually reasonable relative who fell for the "Obama is coming after your guns that you already own" narrative post-Sandy Hook and is now a brick wall when it comes to the subject.

Except when Mommy was on yesterday, and Mommy lauded the CEO of Dick's Sporting Good/Field Stream stores removing the assault rifles from their stores and how anyone who wanted to buy a gun had to be over 21.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Except when Mommy was on yesterday, and Mommy lauded the CEO of Dick's Sporting Good/Field Stream stores removing the assault rifles from their stores and how anyone who wanted to buy a gun had to be over 21.

I never heard of Dick's until I moved to the Atlanta area.  I went there once but never again when I learned they sold all this stuff.  Because I'm like that.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Meghan sound like what she wants the U.S. to do is Civil Commitment.  I don't know if that's a real thing, but I learned about it on Law & Order; where ADA Jack McCoy wanted to put a 10 year old serial killing child into that, because he KNEW, everyone KNEW, she would kill again. But that wasn't legal on the show, and it's definitely not legal in real life. I wonder if she watched Law & Order? Naaah. Too libural for her.

There is civil commitment in most states.  But it's tricky.  certainly if he had been apprehended while entering the school with his gun, there would be a case for commitment.   But until that point, he might only have a 72 hour psychiatric hold - 3 days of evaluation to determine what kind of treatment is recommended. And he can decide against treatment after the 3 days.  Usually commitment is for people who are so delusional that they are in danger of harming themselves or other people, because voices in their head are commanding it.  It would be pretty rare for someone to be committed for writing notes to people.  With the Florida school shooter, there were "red flags", but short of assigning an FBI investigator to follow him 24/7, there isn't much that can be done.  

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Megan was insufferable today, in her pathetic attempts, at cross-examining, Senator Schiff. He is a former Federal Prosecutor, Megan cannot ever trip with him up with her gotcha questions. 

She was also scowling at Condaleeza Rice for not sticking to the Republican talking points about guns. She was very measured and fair.  She also defended Mueller's integrity in carrying out the investigation, judiciously.

Meggie is veering toward an SNL skit.  It is playing in my mind with Kate McKinnon as our little viper.  

• Love 18
(edited)

This part annoyed me so much during the show. Sometimes Whoopi makes a lot of sense and other times I have no idea what she's even talking about. (Starts around the 1:50 mark)

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Wings said:

Meggie is veering toward an SNL skit.  It is playing in my mind with Kate McKinnon as our little viper.  

Bring back Fred Armisen to play Joy and it would be a RIOT!!!! Having him insert: "So whaaaat? Who Caaaaaarrrres?"

• Love 14
(edited)

Oh yes yes yes, it is time for a new The View skit on SNL....and Fred has to do it, he's not really doing anything since Portlandia is through.  He had Joy down pat and Kate can do anything.  And yes, you all are right, MM was beyond nasty today trying to mess with Representative Schiff. I THINK NOT! God, she would not shut up or take a breath, she was so sure "she had him". I THINK NOT.  God, I need a drink. I feel so tribal I really want to commit treason. ?

Edited by atlantaloves
called Schiff a Senator should be congressman?
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, bannana said:

When Elsa quoted Schiff and he corrected her and said that he had not used the word treason, that Bannon had, she hilariously looked dumbfounded and looked down at her blue card to check .... what, exactly?  Was it, it's on my blue card so it must be true?  Or, did I read my blue card incorrectly? Or, stupid blue card, how could you humiliate me like this?

I loved this! And Schiff was completely unruffled by her, thankfully. She was incredibly hateful. I can imagine talking with that tone to a total stranger when I was young and getting slapped across the face by one of my parents. She's not a child--but that's pretty hard to remember by the way she acts and the fact that her Mommy and Daddy are practically becoming regular fixtures of the show.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, backformore said:

o, maybe a ban on assault rifles?  No, she doesn't want that.  she wants law enforcement to have the ability to predict future behavior and lock people up because of crimes they are going to do. 

Trump suggested seizing guns from people suspected of being mentally disturbed, then let due process follow. I guess he's stuck on the second amendment and hasn't gotten to the fourth yet.  So maybe Meghan is justified in worrying about the govt coming for her guns.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

That time in history-- 14 years ago?

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. I thought the boys were his from his first marriage. Never mind. 

You are correct. He adopted his first wife's sons as young children.

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh no you di’n’t Whoopi! Don’t you DARE compare MY Awesome Bugs Bunny to 45!????

Hmmm...so Dr. Rice didn’t exactly criticize the whole 45 surrounding himself with inexperienced people, but justified/excused it instead of saying he should have brought on people who are experienced in politics?

And because I read all the comments before watching, I wanted to pay attention—and Dr. Rice said that “gun control wouldn’t be a bad thing.” I believe that means she’s for it and on the opposite side of Meghan.

And speaking of, why is she YELLING? Why didn’t Joy, Rice or Sunny EXPLAIN to her that a president is not KING? His staff, like @backformore stated, are Public Servants. Damn but I wish I had some Bailey’s! Would prefer getting drunk with that. At least Rice countered Meghan with Eisenhower’s quote about getting a dog if you want loyalty. The Presidency isn’t some gang where the leader surrounds him or herself with “ride or die” guys or chicks, Meghan! And she says she grew up in/with politics her whole life? Clearly she wasn’t paying attention and didn’t learn a damned thing.

And when will Sunny stop asking WHO 45 is. Aside from the insulting comparison to My Bugs, I could empathize with Whoopi’s frustration when she told her we know who he is.

And what was that screechingtalkingasfastasshecan garble about how the “nonswamp” people can move back to New York? Bitch, please. 

Okay, second segment is coming up.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 15
(edited)

Okay It was gun registration Rice is against. But what she followed up with what needs to be done, sounded like she is FOR gun registration. Okay, now I’m confused.

SHUTUP, MEGHAN!! AR-15s are not rifles! Or not the garden variety. They are ASSAULT RIFLES, semiautomatic. Meaning WEAPONS OF WAR. The ban was in effect when you were growing up, so just what the fuck kind of guns did you grow up with? Smuggled AR-15s??!!! And no one is going to break into your home and take your guns away from you, you uninformed ignorant twat. And last I heard, the KIDS that were responsible for the mass shootings like Columbine and Parkland, to name a couple wouldn’t have been able to pay the dues to the NRA, and the fact that they’re KIDS is probably why they weren’t members. And so the fuck what if the other murderers weren’t precious members. That still doesn’t excuse the NRA. %%}^}^^}^}^~^~^~~€^~>{>\>]€\€\>|>~€.€^}%%}}%}%{^{%}^???????????

And then asking the panel like she’s 10, why the authorities failed to arrest the killer from Parkland. Does she not read? Oh, wait.

And I ?????????????my ass off at her flustering and inability to tell Joy what guns hunters used during the ban.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 15

You are so right Miss or Mr. Scorpio, AR-15's and their like are not rifles, they are weapons of war...thank you honey...Scorpio, you rule. One of the few signs I get along with, yeah, I'm strange! I''m a water sign too, I understand. Snort. ♋ This shit has gotta stop. Oh, and MM, she's gotta go. 

• Love 3
(edited)
21 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

You are so right Miss or Mr. Scorpio, AR-15's and their like are not rifles, they are weapons of war...thank you honey...Scorpio, you rule. One of the few signs I get along with, yeah, I'm strange! I''m a water sign too, I understand. Snort. ♋ This shit has gotta stop. Oh, and MM, she's gotta go. 

Umm, I’m a female. And the Scorpios refer to the AWESOMETACULAR ROBERT, ANNA AND ROBIN SCORPIO from General Hospital. And did you not see my first post for this week? I’m a Pisces-my Birthday was on Monday!?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 7

"He's the leftist gun grabbing New Yorker I always thought he was."

So if that's what The Official NRA Unified Voting Bloc thought, why did the morons vote for him??

I'm from New Jersey.  New York treats us like a backyard-cum-garbage-dump most of the time, so I rarely feel the need to rise to the defense of New Yorkers.  But I am getting very fucking sick of hearing "New Yorker" as if it means something vile and un-American.  New York is just as much a part of the United States as Arizona.  And - gasp! -  there are even NRA members who are New Yorkers. 

STFU, Meghan.

• Love 23

Hey Scorp...that's okay, Pisces are fabulous too. They are always for the down trodden. Happy Birthday kiddo! Have we ever had a Pisces President? Anyway back to MM...what sign is that bitch? Oh Crap, I think she is a Scorp...oh hell. Just barely, October 23. ...Whoopie is too. 

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, backformore said:

Meghan said the school shooter "should have been arrested". she blames "law enforcement".

First, he was investigated. If he had been arrested, he would have been out soon anyway. yes, he made threats.  But how long does she think people go to jail for making threats?  We, as a country believing in people's rights, do not have a system where we put people in prison for long periods of time because we believe they MIGHT commit a crime.  When someone commits a crime, you can't chalk it up to a failure in the law enforcement system when he had not committed crimes in the past.   Yes, he exhibited "worrisome behavior."  But we don't have a way to force people into treatment when they deteriorate.  He had depression, his mom had recently died, he "acted weird"  according to people who knew him.   Blaming law enforcement?  what did she think they could do?  You can't force medication or mental health treatment on someone who is not convicted of a crime, you can't take away a person's freedoms because of what people are afraid he might do.  There are no "authorities"  who can step in and make sure someone does not commit a crime. 

AND -   he was legally entitled to have the gun he used, thanks to "second amendment people."  

So, maybe a ban on assault rifles?  No, she doesn't want that.  she wants law enforcement to have the ability to predict future behavior and lock people up because of crimes they are going to do. 

Backformore, I wish everyone in the country could read your post. Every time I hear someone say that all the signs were there and why didn't law enforcement do something about that shooter, I shout out, "What could they have done that was according to our laws?" You explained the situation so well. Thank you.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 14

Has anyone mentioned yet that Condi accidentally referred to Elsa as Cindy, and of course Elsa corrected, saying it's Meghan.  A normal person would have just let that go.

• Love 10
On 2/27/2018 at 1:53 PM, blondiec0332 said:

Did anyone else find it creepy when Ivanka Trump was answering questions about the allegations about her father she was smiling?

And good for Patton Oswald for finding happiness after the grief of him losing his wife.

Yes, very creepy.  Especially because she wasn't simply smiling, she was smiling broadly.  That was odd considering it was a serious question and a very serious topic.  It was glaring to me, especially since her whole platform is supposed to be about empowering women.   Total cop-out, but apparently she's determined to have it both ways.  She enjoys her position as a hot-shot Presidential Advisor with a cushy West Wing office, but thinks she gets to pull out her charm school smile and bat her eyelashes when she wants to be treated as simply the President's daughter.  

I love Patton Oswalt too.  He is smart and funny, was devoted to his wife and daughter, and deserves every bit of happiness he has found.

On 2/28/2018 at 2:09 PM, Tanichka said:

Maybe Cindy could replace her.  lol

I just watched this today, and that was my thought the entire show.  I don't always agree with Cindy, and I didn't always agree with her today, but she knows how to speak, and she was respectful.  She also contributed to the conversation in interesting ways without being a pompous know-it-all.   Perhaps she was simply on her best behavior because she was a guest, and if she was there full-time we might see something different.  But I'd bet anything she would be far better on her worst day than Meghan has been on her best day.   Part of the difference is that Cindy is a grown-up, and Meghan is not.

What a letdown it was to have that big build-up about what Trump had said about Sen. McCain!  They were hurt, that was pretty much it.  That couldn't have been said by Meghan last week?  Her mother needed to be there?  Trump trashes people all the time.  Usually it's just another day at the White House.  But somehow this was built up into some big event.  If their feelings were hurt, that's unfortunate.  But they need to get to the back of a very, very long line.

• Love 10

Because it is so, so, so hard being MM. And she needs help from mommy and daddy and bastard uncle. And then somehow Biden and Kennedy are kind to her. But evidently not her friend Navarro. MM needs a lot of caring and attention and allowance for being a brat.

• Love 13
(edited)

Ana has been on sooo much within the past several months. Just replace Meghan already, girl, we know it’s coming *crosses fingers*

She gets a lot of support on social media. I don’t understand - The View higher-ups will listen to requests for more Ana on the show but less Meghan never happens?! Unfair! 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 10
(edited)
14 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I loved this! And Schiff was completely unruffled by her, thankfully. She was incredibly hateful. I can imagine talking with that tone to a total stranger when I was young and getting slapped across the face by one of my parents. She's not a child--but that's pretty hard to remember by the way she acts and the fact that her Mommy and Daddy are practically becoming regular fixtures of the show.

What is strange and ultimately stupid (yes, again) about MM's mean, snotty, accusatory tone when "asking" her gotcha questions to  the Representative  (or other guests thst she doesn't agree with),  was that they are then ready with a calm, intelligent, truthful answer.  She sets herself up to fail. Maybe they were forewarned, but they knew their shit. No one in the political commentary bizness, even on Faux, acts in that nasty way. OR READS SO MUCH ON CAMERA! 

MM hasn't learned that astute interviewers want to play nice with the subject , sometimes in order to eventually  slip in an incisive question, or gotcha, or just get lucky depending on how they answer,  i.e. as an example, Palin on Couric 's innocuous question about what magazines or newspapers she reads. The question was bland, but Palin's flustered answer spoke volumes. MM's pissiness telegraphs her gotcha question and gives the guest the advantage.  But then, I can see that most of  MM's goal is to  put across her opinion, inaccurate as it may be, but she's trying to eke out a reputation as a political pundit for future gigs.  

I loved when the Representative said Mueller did not have to reveal what he learns and that it was Congress' job to inform the people about whatever info they choose. Color FrownieFace red(der). She hurriedly looked down at her blue cards. Let's see,  who does MM know in Congress that could inform her about sensitive, political information now and, allegedly,  all her life?  Hmmmmm. Who could help her understand the workings of special investigators?  Me thinks someone didn't pay attention too often to reap the rewards of knowledge that she says was going on all around her for 33 years, now.

I wonder who writes MM's blue cards.  Has Ana EVER looked at a blue card? Does she even have them in front of her?  Knowledge is a good thing. And being able to impart it clearly is a skill and gift. Can't buy that it though. Come back often, Ana, and bring civilized discourse with you. 

When Cindy was on the other day,  there was a point at the beginning of the show when MM was talking and Cindy was looking at her, that I thought Cindy was thinking, "Oy vey, we gotta get this kid voice lessons!  That valley girl vocal fry is so annoying. "  And then in a Lovey Howell voice (from Gilligan's Island), "Sooo not like OUR clahhss dear, (sniff with lacy hankerchief on bejeweled hand). 

Edited by Tosia
Can't fake intelligence for very long, MM.
  • Love 7
(edited)
15 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Oh yes yes yes, it is time for a new The View skit on SNL....and Fred has to do it, he's not really doing anything since Portlandia is through.  He had Joy down pat and Kate can do anything. 

I live Fred Armisen!  He can do Joy anytime,  but I think SNL's Addy Bryant should play MM, cuz she's  been rising in the ranks of smart, funny socially-spot on comics. Addy's could do a sharp imitation with a soft edge that belies the venom, without alot of physical moves.  I would love to see ANYONE do MM, especially the fry voice, checking the monitor, reading her cards,  and slurping from that mug when she gets uncomfortable. I doubt it will happen because her father.

Edited by Tosia
Love Kate, but would like to give other comics a chance.
  • Love 8
32 minutes ago, Tosia said:

When Cindy was on the other day,  there was a point at the beginning of the show when MM was talking and Cindy was looking at her, that I thought Cindy was thinking, "Oy vey, we gotta get this kid voice lessons!  That valley girl vocal fry is so annoying. "  And then in a Lovey Howell voice (from Gilligan's Island), "Sooo not like OUR clahhss dear, (sniff with lacy hankerchief on bejeweled hand). 

Cindy has always come across as a very cool calm collected woman.  Her daughter on other hand........

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

Ana has been on sooo much within the past several months. Just replace Meghan already, girl, we know it’s coming *crosses fingers*

But Ana wouldn't be able to go all out like she does when she's on CNN! IF she decides she wants to be a permanent host here, I hope the show will also let her appear on Anderson, Don Lemon, etc. Because she is very tame when she's a guest host here.

1 hour ago, Tosia said:

I live Fred Armisen!  He can do Joy anytime,  but I think SNL's Addy Bryant should play MM, cuz she's  been rising in the ranks of smart, funny socially-spot on comics. Addy's could do a sharp imitation with a soft edge that belies the venom, without alot of physical moves.  I would love to see ANYONE do MM, especially the fry voice, checking the monitor, reading her cards,  and slurping from that mug when she gets uncomfortable. I doubt it will happen because her father.

Not true. Or not likely, because SNL doesn't give any flying flips who one is related to. They MOCK EVERYONE.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, AdeleDazeem said:

WG has been pushing me toward the door for a couple of years. MM has kicked me through it. I'm out. 

I'll continue to read the comments here and the articles about the View on Raw Story.

You can always come back.  I stayed away during Jed's reign of terror, but would still check the thread for anything interesting.  I would still DVR in case there was something or someone I wanted to watch, 99% of the time I would delete.  MM is really awful but what I find watchable is everyone's reactions:  Whoopi's putting up her hands and yelling "Stop it!", Joy correcting MM's word usage, Sunny confronting her on her 'facts', and my beloved Ana Navarro just outgunning her at every turn.  Reality TV at its best!  The Real Talk Show Panelists of ABC.

• Love 9
(edited)

Tribal! Take a shot.

And boooo-hooooo, the big mean liberal award shows are hurting poor, widdle Meghan's feelings. So glad Joy told her that nobody on those shows are calling Trump supporters dumb.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 21
1 minute ago, Haleth said:

"As a Republican".  Take another shot!

Hey, it's Friday. Drink up!

She hit another right-wing talking point - she doesn't watch those mean liberal award shows anymore! She also mentioned Hillary! Take more shots! We'll all be drunk before the next segment!

• Love 17

OMG. MM went off like a spark over 'Awards Shows'! And she snuck in a few of her favourite lines, which Alexis2291 and Haleth just mentioned. I was watching Ana Navarro's face as this went down - just sitting there, with an indulgent look (and smile) on her face - it was *hilarious*!

I will say that MM looked quite beautiful Her hair and make-up were gorgeous. And I liked the black with white trim on her, as well as Joy.

• Love 9

Meg-splaining 101 

Tribal is bad when liberals do it and have the nerve to invite a GRAMMY WINNER (Hilary Clinton) to read from a book.

Tribal is good when republicans get together to stop the evil left from taking their guns. 

Got it.   

• Love 23
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Haleth said:

"As a Republican".  Take another shot!

Hey, it's Friday. Drink up!

Note to self: Please swing by the liquor store and grab a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream.

2 minutes ago, fishsanwitt said:

OMG. MM went off like a spark over 'Awards Shows'! And she snuck in a few of her favourite lines, which Alexis2291 and Haleth just mentioned. I was watching Ana Navarro's face as this went down - just sitting there, with an indulgent look (and smile) on her face - it was *hilarious*!

I will say that MM looked quite beautiful Her hair and make-up were gorgeous. And I liked the black with white trim on her, as well as Joy.

Hahahahaha. What I love about your posts? After snarking on Meghan (who so richly deserves it), it looks like you feel you need to say something nice after saying something mean/snarky!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 13
29 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Note to self: Please swing by the liquor store and grab a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream.

Hahahahaha. What I love about your posts? After snarking on Meghan (who so richly deserves it), it looks like you feel you need to say something nice after saying something mean/snarky!

I'm thinking I've got everything except Triple Sec ... LOL!!!

• Love 8
1 minute ago, General Days said:

Did anyone notice Joy subtly hand Meghan her ass, over that incident from a week or two ago?

Yup, I caught that, too! She was definitely throwing shade towards Meghan and I loved it. 

• Love 15
19 minutes ago, JayD83 said:

More Meg friends!  DRINK!

The CPAC guy made my skin crawl.  

Seriously. That interview was really non-productive. Schlapp didn't really answer anything controversial, even about his own attitude towards Michael Steele. 

Revealing moment: Meghan stops Joy's line of questioning about racist and extremist elements at CPAC to scold Schlapp about the booing of John McCain. Her reasoning includes the fact that she knows his family and that other people should be booed, too. So it would have been fine to disrespect John McCain if he wasn't related to Meghan, or if Meghan didn't know Matt Schlapp's wife, or if others were disrespected too?

• Love 20