Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 2/26/18

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Meghan really was on her best behavior today. I found myself ??? at her stance about Jared Kushner and 45 in general. Because when it’s convenient, she doubles down to explain his base. Yet she didn’t feel the need to explain those that were booing her dad in that CPAC clip they showed.

Oh GOD! I can’t believe what Sunny did to the sex ed books her kids brought home. What did she think they were learning when she gave permission? And then took them out? ???

Of course Cindy McCain didn’t sign the permission for her kids to learn about sex, because it’s not the school’s job, but the parents and then admits it was hard and just gave her girls a Christian Movie about abstinence and let her son (sons?) learn on their own.???

I remember that movie Joy was talking about! Showing the sperm heading toward the egg and turning into a zygote! ???

And I ??????????my ass off when Joy told the story of “explaining” sex to her daughter when she saw the lions mating in the National Geographic magazine! And her asking if her mom yelled “ROWRRRRR!!!”????????

Okay. Regarding Uber. Whoopi was not saying that the drivers need to become de facto ambulances, because she thought people calling Uber instead of ambulances because of lack of insurance/cost was crazy. She did suggest the company create an ambulance service, as an alternative to ambulances, BUT that Uber should make sure they hire EMTs, and it not be regular people. But Uber is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE service. After my experience, I switched to using Lyft.

I have other thoughts, but I’m exhausted right now. Will post tomorrow.

• Love 14
On 2/27/2018 at 9:04 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

She will never get to be First Daughter like that no-good, very bad, dirty Chelsea! She deserved it so much more!!

I'm wondering if she has fantasies of being the President or First Lady. After all, she's spent her lifetime in politics!

EvilCita is wondering what Word-A-Day Calendar she got, and if we can figure out what "five dollar word" she'll be using (or misusing) in advance.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

EvilCita is wondering what Word-A-Day Calendar she got, and if we can figure out what "five dollar word" she'll be using (or misusing) in advance.

I'm hoping it's "malapropism"! ☺

I'm starting to realize how lucky I was regarding "the Talk." Even though my family is religious and I went to religious schools,  my mother (a nurse) explained things to me throughout my childhood. The Sex ed I got at school was fairly straightforward; they presented abstinence as one of many valid options to prevent pregnancy or the spread of STIs.  I was surprised at the McCain approach. You'd think that such a "political family" would be a little more proactive in showing the kids how to avoid unplanned pregnancy. 

Oh, and Meghan has a sister? She talks about her dad and brothers all the time,  but today was the first I had heard of a sister.

• Love 5
(edited)

OK - so they praised Dick's sporting goods store for not selling assault-style rifles, and not selling any guns to people under 21. everyone praised the decision, audience applauded.  Meghan didn't really say much about it.  

I was waiting to see if the "only NRA member at the table" was going to give her opinion.   Some NRA members are being pretty vocal about opposing this, and are calling for a boycott of Dick's for "giving in to  liberal pressure."  Meghan was all ready to boycott airlines and car rental places who won't give her a discount for having her NRA card, but she was too chicken to give an opinion on Dick's.  I wonder what her stance is.  She tends to equate ANY restrictions on gun to "taking away our second amendment rights."  Do you think she'll add Dicks to her list of companies to boycott? 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, Former Nun said:

"So Cindy McCain used pills meant to ease the suffering of starving African children for her own personal drug use." (quoting from article)

To be brutally honest, this is what drug addicts do. Not that most of them have their own foundation to steal from, but they will literally steal from their families, their jobs, their children, their churches, strangers, friends, it doesn't matter. The addiction is their god and master. This article is written like it's a moral failing, and there's a case for it being so, but more and more I'm embracing the idea that addiction is a disease and should be treated as such. We don't trash people for getting most diseases, we (hopefully) enable them to get care. Betty Ford was sympathized with when she had breast cancer, and called brave for admitting and beating her alcoholism. It would be awesome if Cindy McCain focused on her past and became poster child for speaking out as to the depths that drug addiction can take a person. It's not just for ghetto folks. 

• Love 15
On 2/27/2018 at 7:12 PM, Wings said:

The producer in the control room Is quick to give us shots of her face and her ever present habit of taking a sip of water when she is nervous. 

which is all the time!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Of course Cindy McCain didn’t sign the permission for her kids to learn about sex, because it’s not the school’s job, but the parents and then admits it was hard and just gave her girls a Christian Movie about abstinence and let her son (sons?) learn on their own.???

I remember that movie Joy was talking about! Showing the sperm heading toward the egg and turning into a zygote!

Yeah, how stupid. If you're too uncomfortable talking to your kids about sex, then sign the permission slip and let the school do it! 

Now, MY sex-ed in school was unreal.  Catholic school, they separated the boys and the girls, it was grade 7 or 8. they had a priest talk to the boys, and a nun talk to the girls.   Yeah, a nun who took a vow of chastity, was tasked with talking about sex, a topic she knew nothing about and was clearly embarrassed. Nothing she said made any sense, but I remember the emphasis on it being a SIN, unless you were married and making a baby.  (oh, it's also a sin to think about it, talk about it, and I'm fairly certain I just sinned by posting this. good thing I'm a non-believer now)

• Love 10
(edited)

Back in my day the school just had the class, no parental approval necessary. My Mom's message was the booties and sweaters she knit for the baby's at the "home for wayward girls" for one of her charities she volunteered to help. LOL.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 7
(edited)

I think we were in 7th grade (Catholic school)  when the coach took the boys out of class for some sort of education.  I never did hear what it was.  It certainly wasn't what WE heard in our class.  Ours was about menstruation and a nun led the class.  It was embarrassing...especially since we knew nuns didn't have periods OR go to the bathroom.   Pamphlets and a film strip were provided by Kotex.  Fortunately, no samples were passed out.  That would have been the height of humiliation.   Phoenix, Arizona 1952-53   

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 13
(edited)
3 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

Oh, and Meghan has a sister? She talks about her dad and brothers all the time,  but today was the first I had heard of a sister.

McCain and his wife, Cindy, adopted a girl with a cleft lip and palate from Bangladesh years ago.  That daughter Bridget is fully grown now and is a great sister to McCain’s biological daughter, Meghan. 

Cindy McCain stands with her children (L to R) Meghan, Andy, Jimmy, Jack, Doug, Bridget, and Sidney

Andy and Doug are the sons of John McCain's first wife (adopted by John McCain).  Sidney is the biological daughter of John McCain and his first wife. 

McCainFamily.jpg

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 9

More thoughts about yesterday. And that is, that having Cindy McCain on was so USELESS. Meghan had said that her mother would address what was said about her father when she came on, and would only say that it was hurtful. And Cindy just said, we need more empathy, togetherness, compassion and no more bullying. Hell, she could have called into the show and said this. Only five minutes was spent on this, and again, Meghan said earlier in the week and even last Friday, that she wasn't going to say anything, and let her mother address it. And Cindy, after Whoopi states that everyone loves John McCain, even if those that disagree with him, how did she feel about what was said? Cindy then turns to Meghan, and asks her to say. What? Why didn't Meghan just say what she felt last week? Cindy didn't really say anything.

Sex Ed. Taught in 5th, 8th and 10th grades. 5th grade we learned about menstruation, and even watched a movie (yes the same with the fertilization!), but just as the sonorous MALE voice talked about the egg, my teacher quickly shut the movie off. Why? Because the next segment was going to be about sex, and only those that got their parents' permission, would get to see the rest of it. Same in 8th and 10th about getting permission, but the latter two was straight up sex ed. 

Boy! The stories of the purposeful douchebaggery questions the boys asked. I loved how the gym teacher who taught the class in 8th grade, broke the tension, discomfort with humor. "I know why you're all here. You can't wait to talk about sex!" It loses something in the translation, but he was looking at the guys and mocking them, but in a teasing way, if that makes sense. I loved him dearly. He was a good teacher and he was a good support system when I needed it. And anything further would be off topic, so I'll stop there.

• Love 8
(edited)

For the UMPTEENTH TIME, Meghan, nobody is coming to take your damn guns. I love how Condolezza Rice took a subtle dig at Meghan by saying that one of the major problems we're having in this country is all the labeling and assuming - she said something along the lines of "oh, you're in the NRA, you must believe xyz." It's a dig at Meghan because she kept bringing up the fact that she's a member of the NRA.

Also, did anyone notice how much Meghan was glowing when Condolezza Rice was announced as co-host, but during Adam Schiff's segment, she had that stank face on the entire time? She is truly insufferable. 

Not once has Dr. Rice said "as a conservative/republican/ect." Meghan should take notes.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 21
1 minute ago, Haleth said:

ngPut words in the mouth of the Democratic guest.  Drink, drink, drink!

She also used a new word! She called Trump a "Leftist" something-or-the-other during the conversation about gun control. Drink up! 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

She also used a new word! She called Trump a "Leftist" something-or-the-other during the conversation about gun control. Drink up! 

First of all Trump is a leftist in what universe?  And secondly Meghan is now resorting to name calling?  How mature and professional of her.

• Love 11
(edited)

Megan was insufferable today, in her pathetic attempts, at cross-examining, Senator Schiff. He is a former Federal Prosecutor, Megan cannot ever trip with him up with her gotcha questions. 

She was also scowling at Condaleeza Rice for not sticking to the Republican talking points about guns. She was very measured and fair.  She also defended Mueller's integrity in carrying out the investigation, judiciously.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 14
(edited)
3 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

First of all Trump is a leftist in what universe?  And secondly Meghan is now resorting to name calling?  How mature and professional of her.

I nearly choked on my water when she called him a leftist but are we really surprised? This is her modus operandi.

2 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

She was also scowling at Condaleeza Rice for not sticking to the Republican talking points about guns. She was very measured and fair.  She also defended Mueller's integrity in carrying out the investigation, judiciously.

She expects every republican that comes on the show to be on her side. It's so childish. Her own damn mother wasn't spitting out the usual Meghan "As A Conservative" McCain talking points.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 10
23 hours ago, Wings said:

My dad told me about sex.  He was a doctor and pulled out some medical books to show me.  I then told the neighborhood kids, books and all.  My dad got some phone calls, thanking him and said I did a good job!  

I did exactly the same thing. And he drew  body parts and sperm and ova on my little blackboard and I taught with that too. Same result. neighbors called to thank him. 

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Meghan Logic: He's from NYC, so he must be a leftist gun grabber. Yup. Makes so much sense.

5 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Megan was insufferable today, in her pathetic attempts, at cross-examining, Senator Schiff. He is a former Federal Prosecutor, Megan cannot ever trip with him up with her gotcha questions.

The sad part is that I agreed with Meghan and Whoopi that Schiff's refusal to say anything concrete is muddying the waters. However, because I am an adult, I understand that he might not want to say anything too accusatory right now since the matter is also under federal investigation. Meghan was acting like she "won" that conversation because everyone agreed that the American people deserved to know more. I don't get the smugness; none of us wins if a foreign government manipulates our electoral process.

Edited by Vanderboom
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

So out of all that Trump has done gun control is the thing that causes Meghan to turn on him.  She really has her priorities fucked up.

The gun grabber is enough for her to turn on him but not the Pussy grabbing. She's an idiot.

Whoopi is correct, about Trump. He is all over the place and always has been.  The thing about him now being a moderate and actually considering doing something about guns is imo more about Obama.  He wants to be the one that bans AR-15 raise the age so he can brag that Obama couldn't do it after Sandy Hooks. It's all about him. I'm sure Meghan is right that it will turn NRA members against him but Trump cares more about one upping Obama. ... Another reason he's a terrible President.  

To be honest I don't even know what Meghan is upset about. She should know that Trump changes his mind every hour. So whatever he's say today will change. 

11 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Did I mishear Condaleeza Rice.  Did she say she isn't in favor of gun registration?

Yep.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, imjagain said:

The gun grabber is enough for her to turn on him but not the Pussy grabbing. She's an idiot.

Whoopi is correct, about Trump. He is all over the place and always has been.  The thing about him now being a moderate and actually considering doing something about guns is imo more about Obama.  He wants to be the one that bans AR-15 raise the age so he can brag that Obama couldn't do it after Sandy Hooks. It's all about him. I'm sure Meghan is right that it will turn NRA members against him but Trump cares more about one upping Obama. ... Another reason he's a terrible President.  

To be honest I don't even know what Meghan is upset about. She should know that Trump changes his mind every hour. So whatever he's say today will change. 

Meghan has more flip flops than Zappos.  Yesterday she was excoriating him for disrespecting her father, today she's firmly on Team Orange.  And yep, he will surely change his mind as soon as Fox reminds him that his base loves their guns.

44 minutes ago, Vanderboom said:

The sad part is that I agreed with Meghan and Whoopi that Schiff's refusal to say anything concrete is muddying the waters. However, because I am an adult, I understand that he might not want to say anything too accusatory right now since the matter is also under federal investigation. Meghan was acting like she "won" that conversation because everyone agreed that the American people deserved to know more. I don't get the smugness; none of us win if a foreign government manipulates our electoral process.

If he had said anything more, not only could he have damaged the investigation, he surely would have been raked over the coals for leaking classified info.  As far as the Mueller team not announcing anything incriminating about the Trump family, he's far from finishing the investigation.  There is a looooong way to go!

I wish the panel talking to Schiff consisted of only Condoleeza and Sunny.  Maybe Joy too.  Let the grown ups have a conversation.  (I always like Condie until I remember her roll in 9/11 and the war in Afghanistan.)

I hate to do this but I have to kinda defend Cindy re teaching the boys about the birds and bees.  She said John handled it because 1) she is their stepmom and 2) it might have been less embarrassing for all to have dad do the talk.

• Love 13

She is the petulant child about that gun of hers.   Jesus.  No one ever said they were going to take your gun away, you twat.  

She is an angry girl.  Republican guests have modeled the proper tone needed to make a point plus how to listen and respond.  She doesn't get it.   She confronted* the rep whose name escapes me, and laid into him for no reason.  

Guess her mom never told her you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.    

* it is always confrontation with her, never conversation.  

• Love 18

Rep Schiff can only tell us so much - and I see him all the time on CNN and MSNBC. The committee is so divided it isn't going well, ie - his example of Bannon vs Hope. MM needs to grow up and learn to be patient. Or give Nunes a call. I could barely "hear" what she was asking because of her mean and nasty attitude.

• Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Meghan has more flip flops than Zappos.  Yesterday she was excoriating him for disrespecting her father, today she's firmly on Team Orange.  And yep, he will surely change his mind as soon as Fox reminds him that his base loves their guns.

If he had said anything more, not only could he have damaged the investigation, he surely would have been raked over the coals for leaking classified info.  As far as the Mueller team not announcing anything incriminating about the Trump family, he's far from finishing the investigation.  There is a looooong way to go!

I wish the panel talking to Schiff consisted of only Condoleeza and Sunny.  Maybe Joy too.  Let the grown ups have a conversation.  (I always like Condie until I remember her roll in 9/11 and the war in Afghanistan.)

I hate to do this but I have to kinda defend Cindy re teaching the boys about the birds and bees.  She said John handled it because 1) she is their stepmom and 2) it might have been less embarrassing for all to have dad do the talk.

THIS. I blame it on the need of people who demand INSTANT GRATIFICATION and want results IMMEDIATELY and QUICKLY. Watergate took over two years. And we've already learned how much interference a foreign country has managed, so I don't blame Mueller or Schiff for remaining mum. 

There are certain things that shouldn't have transparency. Like criminal investigations. 

1 hour ago, Wings said:

She is the petulant child about that gun of hers.   Jesus.  No one ever said they were going to take your gun away, you twat.  

She is an angry girl.  Republican guests have modeled the proper tone needed to make a point plus how to listen and respond.  She doesn't get it.   She confronted* the rep whose name escapes me, and laid into him for no reason.  

Guess her mom never told her you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.    

* it is always confrontation with her, never conversation.  

She is a very angry and petulant child.

That would be Adam Schiff, not to be confused with the late great Stephen Hill, who played AWESOME DA Adam Schiff on Original Recipe Law & Order!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 16

What difference does it make if one of the mass killings shooters were not a member of the NRA ? Gosh, is Meghan that concerned about losing a rental car discount?

• Love 22
19 minutes ago, Richard said:

Favorite moment of today's episode:

JOY: What did hunters use during the assault rifle ban? 

MEGAN: (blank face) I, uh, that's not, um, I, Er, whatever was available at that time in history. 

giphy.gif   giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Love 19
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, blondiec0332 said:

Whoopi introduced Cindy McCain as a legend.  Seriously?  She is a legend because.........?  Anyone?

Getting off scot free on defrauding her own charity and stealing drugs from the less fortunate?

• Love 23
26 minutes ago, OnTime said:

What difference does it make if one of the mass killings shooters were not a member of the NRA ? Gosh, is Meghan that concerned about losing a rental car discount?

I think it is more about the image she has of herself that no one else shares.   Tough girl who was raised on a ranch and owns a gun.  No on messes with me, I am strong and take no prisoners. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, backformore said:

When she was saying this , Condoleezza Rice gave her a LOOK, that I loved. Then she said "if you want loyalty in Washington, get a dog."  

Don't stop there! What did Meghan say in response? Or did she just duck her head and slurrrrp from her mug?

• Love 8
1 minute ago, backformore said:

Meghan talks about how it's important to have "loyalists" in politics.   the president needs people who are "ride or die", ready to go down (or up)  with you no matter what.  

I caught that too.  No Meghan you need people to tell you the truth.  People that will help you do your job well.  Not enable you to do it poorly.

4 minutes ago, Wings said:

I think it is more about the image she has of herself that no one else shares.   Tough girl who was raised on a ranch and owns a gun.  No on messes with me, I am strong and take no prisoners. 

But yet being the conservative on the View trying to share her world view is just so hard.

• Love 18
58 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Ms. McCain, please come to the front of the class and write that on the blackboard 50 times.  By then you'll have it memorized and can use it as your mantra for your morning meditation.  You do meditate, right...and that's why you're so at peace?

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Just a minor correction...the older men are John's adopted sons.  I don't know who did the birds/bees stuff with them.   The younger ones are Cindy's/John's.  

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Former Nun said:
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Just a minor correction...the older men are John's adopted sons.  I don't know who did the birds/bees stuff with them.   The younger ones are Cindy's/John's.  

Same thing though.  It is an awkward talk as it is, and to hear it from their stepmom is pushing it. 

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Richard said:

MEGAN: (blank face) I, uh, that's not, um, I, Er, whatever was available at that time in history. 

That time in history-- 14 years ago?

11 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. I thought the boys were his from his first marriage. Never mind. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I don't particularly care for Condoleeza Rice.  She took part in hanging Colin Powell out to dry regarding the nonexistent WMDs, she ignored the warnings regarding Osama bin Laden, and with the rest of those who lied us into the war, she is culpable of the debacle in Iraq, which created Isis and killed a million people.

Completely agree.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I don't particularly care for Condoleeza Rice.  She took part in hanging Colin Powell out to dry regarding the nonexistent WMDs, she ignored the warnings regarding Osama bin Laden, and with the rest of those who lied us into the war, she is culpable of the debacle in Iraq, which created Isis and killed a million people.

Compared to Meghan she comes across as a reasonable Republican.  But yeah not really.

• Love 15

I hated Meghan referring to "second amendment people like myself," and trump turning on them. 

Second amendment people?  She equates gun-owning NRA members with people who support the bill of rights.  this rhetoric is particularly disturbing to me.  It is the way NRA members say that any restrictions on gun owning is equal to rescinding the second amendment. 

The only other time I heard a reference to "second amendment people" was when trump himself used it in his campaign to say that perhaps the "second amendment people"  could stop Hillary.  (and many interpreted that as a call to violence)  Meghan, honey, there is no move to get rid of the second amendment.  Modify it, yes, to make it more in line with the original intent.  But stop hiding behind the second amendment to justify your love of guns. 

• Love 21