Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 2/26/18

Jaded
  • Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But Ana wouldn't be able to go all out like she does when she's on CNN! IF she decides she wants to be a permanent host here, I hope the show will also let her appear on Anderson, Don Lemon, etc. Because she is very tame when she's a guest host here.

Not true. Or not likely, because SNL doesn't give any flying flips who one is related to. They MOCK EVERYONE.

I hope they do spoof the View again.  From your post to Loren's ear. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 7
(edited)

Dang.  I'm sort of meh on Michael Steele but I loved that clip of his with Schlapp, and how he threw up his hands when he demanded why he needed to show grace.  That was awesome.  And then Sunny not letting Schlapp slide away from it.  Go, Sunny.

Schlapp reminds me of so many people I know.  I'm in a very conservative, traditionally white area of New Jersey, and as I am white, many people here assume I am of the same opinions as they are with regards to race.  I hear a lot of racist remarks made by people who deny being racist.  You know, because what they say is just based on their experience or all the welfare queens they claim to know, who are of course all women of color.  It's just their opinion and they are entitled to it.  Ugh, Schlapp had that same look and sound about him when he was talking about the Michael Steele issue.  I'm surprised he didn't start in with all the 'reverse racism' that's apparently so prevalent in our society.  I know reverse racism is certainly keeping whitey down in my neck of the woods . . . RME.

I agree with Schlapp, though - I don't think that CPAC represents fringe elements.   And that's really sad, not something to celebrate.

Geez, Meghan is sooooo thin-skinned.  No wonder her chest is always glowing red.  Jokes about Trump are an attack on Trump supporters that she just can't bear to watch?  People in New York (there it is again, the New Yorker slight) just don't want Republicans around?  WTF is wrong with her?

She used her big-word-of-the-day modicum correctly, at least.  Just used the less accepted pronunciation.  What a gangsta.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 17
5 minutes ago, General Days said:

*Look, you can make a joke about Harvey Weinstein. You can make a joke about Kevin Spacey. It will be misinterpreted. Just like it happens on this panel, right here. I make a joke about the perpetrator, and it gets construed that I'm doing it about the victim. And that does not work in this environment."

It can work in that environment if  you don't have someone at the table hell bent on misconstruing another cohost's words in order to make said cohost look bad.

• Love 19
2 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

Geez, Meghan is sooooo thin-skinned.  No wonder her chest is always glowing red.  Jokes about Trump are an attack on Trump supporters that she just can't bear to watch?  People in New York (there it is again, the New Yorker slight) just don't want Republicans around?  WTF is wrong with her?

Did I hear her correctly - did she say conservatives, including herself, are under attack? So an award show makes fun of Trump and she equates that to conservatives being under attack? I laughed when Joy asked Meghan since when is Trump a republican and all she could say is touché. 

She just lovessss to bring up New York because, ya know, liberals.

• Love 20
3 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

It can work in that environment if  you don't have someone at the table hell bent on misconstruing another cohost's words in order to make said cohost look bad.

Point taken, but I believe Joy meant the larger political environment in the country as it pertains to Kimmel, were he to make Weinstein jokes. 

Meghan's Vocabulary Report:

She used "modicum" in a sentence, and used it correctly, but didn't know how to pronounce it. She said it: MODE - i - cum. (The first syllable should be pronounced like the first syllable in the word modern.)

• Love 12
Just now, General Days said:

She used "modicum" in a sentence, and used it correctly, but didn't know how to pronounce it. She said it: MODE - i - cum. (The first syllable should be pronounced like the first syllable in the word modern.)

OMG!  Seriously?  She doesn't know how to pronounce it?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Haleth said:

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. I thought the boys were his from his first marriage. Never mind. 

Haleth, you are right...it's just confusing. There are (4) sons.   I found this on Wikipedia about McCain's first wife, Carol:  She and her husband, who became a Navy pilot, had two children, Douglas (born 1959) and Andrew (born 1962).   John married her after she divorced (and sued) her husband for infidelity.  John adopted those two two boys and he and Carol had a daughter of their own.    Then, Carol was the victim of infidelity once more...and John married Cindy. They have Meghan, two more sons, and one adopted daughter.

• Love 7
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

Did I hear her correctly - did she say conservatives, including herself, are under attack? So an award show makes fun of Trump and she equates that to conservatives being under attack? I laughed when Joy asked Meghan since when is Trump a republican and all she could say is touché. 

Under attack = not invited to parties. 

I've come to love Michael Steele since he's always on the MSNBC shows and seems to have a great sense of humor.  (He even laughed about Jon Stewart turning him into a muppet.). I'd love to have a drink with him, bet he has some great stories.  Matt Schlapp?  Not so much love. 

Modicum with a long O is the Latin pronunciation. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 9
(edited)
2 minutes ago, General Days said:

I thought so too, but Merriam Webster had MODE- as an alternative pronunciation.  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/modicum

Edited by Aquarius
1 minute ago, Former Nun said:

I heard Meghan use "schauzenfreude" correctly the other day, but people were talking over her.  Closed-Captioning either missed it or simply skipped over typing the word.

I heard it and was truly shocked she used it and properly.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Gaaah!  Local news just broke in with a story, just as Sunny and Ana were grilling Schlapp about racism. Dang it!

Ugh, me too. I'm watching on DVR delay. We missed the first five minutes of the show, too. Are you watching WCVB, by chance?

15 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

I agree with Schlapp, though - I don't think that CPAC represents fringe elements.   And that's really sad, not something to celebrate.

I can see what you mean, but I would argue the party has let the fringe take over, and I don't think Schlapp meant that. 

3 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

I thought so too, but Merriam Webster had MODE as an alternative pronunciation.  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/modicum

In my head, that's just there for the dummies. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Aquarius said:

This maroon doesn't even realize that there are some politicians in New York who are, gasp! Republican! Like that King, who is Rep.? but reminds me Teflon Don.

12 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

See above.

7 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

OMG!  Seriously?  She doesn't know how to pronounce it?

She doesn't know how to pronounce HALF the big words she spouts off to sound intelligent.

1 minute ago, blondiec0332 said:

I heard it and was truly shocked she used it and properly.

Someone probably told her to use it in her ear, while telling her how to pronounce it.

• Love 6
(edited)
5 minutes ago, General Days said:

Are you watching WCVB, by chance?

No.  I'm about 800 miles away from that. ?  How's the storm?

Edited by Haleth
26 minutes ago, General Days said:

I swear she was trying to make contact with McCan't, but the camera never showed her. Joy Behar is a queen. 

"McCan't and Joy Behar is a queen," in the same short space.  GENIUS ! ! !

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I heard Meghan use "schauzenfreude" correctly the other day, but people were talking over her.  Closed-Captioning either missed it or simply skipped over typing the word.

(Ahem)

Schadenfreude.

• Love 16

I want Margarita's and my feet in the sand! Love that song....

We were gifted an ice storm last night booo!

Loved Sunny calling out that Cpac guy. She wouldn't let it go. I freaking loved it.

STFU Meghan. 

How can Trump jokes insult her. She said she didn't vote for Trump.  Am I wrong about that?

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Meghan said Hollywood isn't inclusive of "Republican values".  And she wonders why she isn't invited to parties.

And she screams like a harpy when the subject of sex comes up in conversation.  Girl ain't much fun. 

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Meghan said Hollywood isn't inclusive of "Republican values".  And she wonders why she isn't invited to parties.

And what, pray tell, are "Republican values?" There are a number of the Hollywood Elite who are conservative, Republicans, who own guns, are members of the NRA...but forget about that. I want to know what she means by "Republican values?"

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Alexis2291 said:

She does the same thing with LA.  In her mind, people don't like her because she is a Republican. It has nothing to do with her nasty attitude.  

• Love 18
(edited)
8 hours ago, Aquarius said:

And she screams like a harpy when the subject of sex comes up in conversation.  Girl ain't much fun. 

That vocal fry when she kept screaming, "I DEEWW-ONNN'T WANNA TALK ABOUT ETTTT!" (I don't want to talk about it)

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 15

I was going to comment earlier this week that Miss Whoopi hadn't used her ridiculous sign off in a long long while and thought maybe the producers had put their foot down on it... until.... until... (My guess is that she fought with them over what she sees as her "brand" and sadly won.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And what, pray tell, are "Republican values?" There are a number of the Hollywood Elite who are conservative, Republicans, who own guns, are members of the NRA...but forget about that. I want to know what she means by "Republican values?"

It would have been awesome if Joy had asked her that very question.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Aquarius said:

I thought so too, but Merriam Webster had MODE- as an alternative pronunciation.  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/modicum

Second pronunciations are often the result of people saying the word incorrectly.   It takes over and when lots of people mispronounce it, it makes it to the dictionary.   I hate that but you just cannot fight the language changing.   sigh 

Vase is NOT vahze.  I hear that all the time.  Emily Post said you can only use a vahze if you have dahzies to put in it.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 13
(edited)

I enjoyed Joy low-key calling Meghan out for that bullshit she pulled a few weeks ago to defend and deflect from a wife beater. I thought Meghan might make a face or a comment, but I guess it completely flew over her head.

And I loved Sunny going off on that CPAC slime for his racism and asking him what that says of his party as a whole, but even better was Ana pointing out that Milo was proven vile long before the pedophile comments/video came out and they supported him anyway. Meanwhile, in the midst of all that, the only thing Meghan was concerned about was some jibes against her beloved father. She is pathetic.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, Wings said:

I won't be able to watch until later.  Thank you all who post in EST.  

I'm in Arizona and mostly don't come to the forums until after my shows are broadcast.   The few times I read before watching, both are somehow MORE enjoyable.

• Love 5

From now on when they bring conservatives on the panel, they should just let Meghan have a conversation with them, because she takes over the whole discussion, makes it about her father, blah blah blah, and no one else ever gets to finish a question. Meghan makes it hard not to think of John McCain when watching this show because she sure invokes him whenever possible — even if it means INTERUPTING Joy’s question about how do you reconcile trying to create an inclusive CPAC when we have a president calling Mexicans rapitsts.  That is a fair question, but Meghan steamrolls over Joy’s question to make it about her situation.  I respect John McCain—and I would LOVE to think of Meghan as Meghan first, not as John McCain’s daughter—but Meghan makes it really difficult when 1/3rd of the questioning is about her dad. (Seriously, 3 out of 9 minutes of this interview was about how John McCain is a hero and CPAC was unfair to him)  

Here are the questions asked (the bolded questions are ones we actually received answers to):

1. CPAC is inviting more fringe speakers and extremists - does this fringe group represent your party? 

Answer: We don’t want fringe people there - defends all the fringe people. We want to start a conversation.

2. How do you put together that Trump calls Mexicans rapists? 

Answer: Discussion interrupted by Meghan at 3 minutes and 4 seconds into the interview and Meghan talks about knowing Matt and wife, and how her husband interviewed Ted Cruz, and how she enjoyed the speeches and had a lot of friends that were there. Meghan doesn’t understand why President Trump called out her dad and led a crowd of viewing.  She was upset and hurt.  She doesn’t understand why Susan Collins and Lisa Mercowski (idk how to spell her last name) aren’t brought up regarding the healthcare vote.  She says her dad hasn’t ever been invited to speak at CPAC and he isn’t a conservative darling....... (her interruption starts turning into a question.....)

3. Question: Why at this moment, when [John McCain] is suffering from the worst brain cancer that exists and going through chemo, can’t there be respect for her family from CPAC? (After crowd claps and there’s a pause for  Matt Schlapp to answer, Meghan continues her speech by repeating things she’s said....) And you defended it on Twitter, and I was disappointed—I know your wife well, you’re GOOD PEOPLE.  

Answer: Your dad is a hero, he’s spoken at CPAC, lots of people have spoken at CPAC. 

Ana interjects - she whould have loved if Schlapp spoke up at CPAC.

Joy interjects - “the way John McCain would have!”

Answer: It’s okay to disagree with votes.

4. What about Susan Collins and Lisa Mercowski then??? If you’re gonna talk Obamacare, I don’t understand the VITRIOLE..... (Sunny Interupts at 6 minutes into interview to change the subject — 3 minutes of a 9 minute interview wasted)

5. Why won’t you call out racism?

Answer: Blah blah blah (I no longer feel like typing the answers)

The two BOLDED questions are the only questions that were answered — I would argue not adequately, but somewhat answered.  Sunny’s FINAL question would have been stronger, had it been connected to Joy’s question, which Meghan interrupted. Meghan really disrupts the flow of these interviews to the point where I wonder if Barbara Walters watches this show wanting to throw the TV out of her apartment window.  Good for Sunny though for interrupting Meghan’s rant and refocusing the interview.  Matt Schlapp really only had excuses for the first question, so question #2 was meant probe deeper into the initial question. 

SNL has a lot of material with Meghan, but I think they would wait for the situations with the McCains to be long over before they even considered making fun of her.

1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

The irony is she made a name of herself going on shows she’d call “liberal” while conservative commenters bullied her and “liberal” hosts came to her defense.  People do like Republicans.  Jenna Bush is beloved on the Today Show because she acts like a person, not a Republican robot who tries to justify outrageous things.  

• Love 17
1 hour ago, pachebo said:

I was going to comment earlier this week that Miss Whoopi hadn't used her ridiculous sign off in a long long while and thought maybe the producers had put their foot down on it... until.... until... (My guess is that she fought with them over what she sees as her "brand" and sadly won.

The ABC website sells merchandise with "Take a little time to enjoy The View" on it. Whoopi is messing with their brand when she says whatever stupidity she thinks it should be.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Meghan thinks she is "tainted" because she is a Republican.  No dear you are tainted because you keep talking about tribalism and denigrating those not in your tribe.

...and you're not invited to parties because WE ALL want to joke about sex and all YOU want to talk about are some imaginary Republican values.   I'm kidding.  I'm 77 and my days of double-entendres are over--it's just skeevy when an old broad does it (and I wqas SO good).

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Aquarius said:

mw7fpf.jpg

I’m shocked the “author” of Dirty Sexy Politics doesn’t like talking about sex.  

• Love 14

I think I may be the only one,but, I cannot stand Ana.  I'm glad she stood up against party lines to denounce that nonsense. But, there is something about her that I find just completely opportunistic. She's so full of herself, and speaks like every word that comes out of her mouth is gospel. She reminds me of Whoopi in that way. I'm just not a big fan of her delivery I guess. It's not really personal. Just a visceral reaction. But, then again, I feel that way about so many co-hosts and guests on this show. 

• Love 1

Remember a couple days ago when Meghan was railing about Delta cutting their discount to the NRA and she swore she wouldn't fly them again?  Want to know how many NRA members have actually used the discount?  13. (According to a reporter on msnbc.). Talk about a knee jerk overreaction!

• Love 17

A few things about today:

• I wish they had asked MS about the way Mona Charen was booed and heckled at CPAC. Because she was espousing conservative values to a so-called conservative audience, and being attacked for it by the rabid Trump supporters.  They should have asked why she needed to be escorted out by a security detail for her own safety?  Aren't these the fringe CPAC members that Joy was alluding to?
  • What does it matter if MS' wife is a lovely person?  Why does Elsa say things like that?
  • Why is it okay for a person with dark skin (??) to make a racist comment?  Sunny did a good job going after MS on that topic.
  • Why should MS or CPAC somehow be accountable for McCain being booed for a vote on a policy issue.  Elsa herself conceded it was on policy, and her gripe was that the other two were not mentioned.  But that was during Trump's speech.  He is the President and MS is not the boss of him.  He is however the boss of the guy who made the racist comment about Steele.  Did Elsa want him to stand up and say, don't boo McCain because he is a national hero, after Trump has made it clear he is not a hero, because he got captured?  Elsa's gripe is with Trump.
  • When Elsa kept ranting at MS about her father, Joy actually said, let him answer!
  • When MS said that McCain had in fact spoken at CPAC, I was waiting for Elsa to angrily look at her blue card, but she let me down.
  • Elsa's rant about awards shows not being inclusive of "conservative values" could almost have led to another showdown, if Sunny had once again said, what do you mean by conservative values.  But they didn't go there.  Joy instead challenged Elsa on Trump being a Republican.  I liked when Ana said something like, they are being held hostage.  So according to Elsa, any criticism of Trump is a criticism of her friends and extended family. Hmmm...
  • Whatever Ana was wearing, it was fugly and did her no favours.
  • Instead of screaming about how she hates to talk about sex, why doesn't Elsa just sit there and say nothing?  It would be a welcome break.  Or she could be like Whoopi and just roll her eyes and look at the audience.
  • Love 15
(edited)

I like Whoopi and I’ve been a fan long before she started co-hosting on The View. That said, does anyone think the conversation flows much easier without her on the panel? Maybe not even the conversation, necessarily, but things aren’t as tense and we don’t have to worry as much about Whoopi interrupting a debate with her preaching and rambling. I’ve noticed this for awhile now. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 16
17 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I like Whoopi and I’ve been a fan long before she started co-hosting on The View. That said, does anyone think the conversation flows much easier without her on the panel? Maybe not even the conversation, necessarily, but things aren’t as tense and we don’t have to worry as much about Whoopi interrupting a debate with her preaching and rambling. I’ve noticed this for awhile now. 

Whoopi is horrible as the moderator.   That being said she does sometimes have something of value to add to the conversation.  The problem is she wants to be the "star".  If she could keep her ego in check and play nice with others things would be so much nicer.  Well and get rid of Meghan. 

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Whoopi is horrible as the moderator.   That being said she does sometimes have something of value to add to the conversation.  The problem is she wants to be the "star".  If she could keep her ego in check and play nice with others things would be so much nicer.  Well and get rid of Meghan. 

Right. Some days she makes sense but as of lately she mostly comes off as preachy and incoherent. I do think it’s an ego thing with her. She likes to have the last word while cutting to commercial break. 

• Love 8

I think LA-ers and NY-ers have in common a dislike of Elsa, plain and simple. She makes it political because that is the way she defines herself. Which is sickening. I would like to remind her again she is not the only person in the country going through a parent that is gravely ill.

• Love 13
50 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

Yes.  Sometimes her  "Here's the thing.........." is just a way for her to be the final authority on whatever topic they were discussing.  

On another note, I really thought that on today's show they brought up a sex topic for the purpose of making Meghan do her little "Oh No! don't make me talk about sex!"  Joy kept saying, before each break,  they were going to talk about sex. When they get to it, Joy reads the story, each one takes a turn to comment, then they all turn to get Meghan's response.    Meghan was all coy, then she giggled, then yelled, talked about how red her neck/chest gets when she is embarrassed.   Cynic that I am, I believe the whole thing was in response to them knowing how awful Meghan has been coming across, and wanting to make her more human and likeable to the audience.  

I think they cram too much into a show that has only about 35 minutes.  hot topics, two interviews, sex talk, a song.   They ask Jimmy Buffet to talk about his play, he starts to tell a funny story, sets it up, and then they go to commercial.   I have noticed that guests who are on The View are on other talk shows in the same week, and give MUCH better interviews, because they come in prepared to talk about something, and they actually are given time to say it.  The celebrity interviews on The View always seems so rushed.  Guests can barely get a sentence out before being interrupted to talk about something else, then they start that, then, oops, we have to go to break - come back any time!  

• Love 18
46 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

she mostly comes off as preachy and incoherent

This!  This!  A thousand times THIS ! ! !

37 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

I think LA-ers and NY-ers have in common a dislike of Elsa, plain and simple.

And think how popular she could be in middle America.  She'll be invited to all the BEST parties.

• Love 12